1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:00 am UTC

ggh wrote:Gee, looking at the list of online folks, you're the only heavy hitter here Hal.

Edit: and fortunately that was untrue again by the time I hit submit

I'd like to consider myself a heavy hitter, despite my post rate. I'm just always stuck in the past and I like to post responsibly. Now I'm getting hassled by the phone company for how I use the internet I pay for, so we'll see if that also effects my posting rate. I hope not. *hoping*

P.S. Congrats tman2nd.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:02 am UTC

KONG

It looks like Megan just filled in a bit and is now digging out an archway so there will be a mini bridge to that left hand tower

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:15 am UTC

azule wrote:
ggh wrote:Gee, looking at the list of online folks, you're the only heavy hitter here Hal.

Edit: and fortunately that was untrue again by the time I hit submit

I'd like to consider myself a heavy hitter, despite my post rate. I'm just always stuck in the past and I like to post responsibly. Now I'm getting hassled by the phone company for how I use the internet I pay for, so we'll see if that also effects my posting rate. I hope not. *hoping*

P.S. Congrats tman2nd.

Of course you are, and one especially appreciated by me.
What's the phone company up to? We are a bit bandwidth-challenged here in NZ I am told, but so far I haven't been a serious-enough user to notice.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:01 am UTC

For some reason the DONG won't work for me.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:04 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:Actually we don't know what happened to Helper.

Isn't there evidence that he returned as cmyk?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:15 am UTC

Purplepants77 wrote:EDIT: Good thing this whole PFAN was discontinued, I would make an awfully terrible one at this particular moment in Time

Just awoke from coma so catching up... is it weird that I dreamed about the One True Comic, this needle-pulled-thing, and that Pope Helper had returned, and his returning post was first on a page, so making him simultaneously Pope and Pope for a Page ?

Or do you all dream about this?
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:32 am UTC

patzer wrote:

There is. I was the one who pointed that out, but it's unconfirmed.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:47 am UTC

Flado wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Well, you can have an antecedent (which comes before something else, I know...) so why not a transcedent? But yeah, never noticed my own sig had a spelling error. I mean, no it didn't, it was spelled right the whole time...

It turns out, you cannot argue with the Latin Police. Or at least I can't. So here is my solemn declaration of guilt which I have signed on my own free will entirely without any coercion of any kind by any police, and especially not by the Latin Police:

It's not you, my most devout follower. It's me. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Thank you, oh patriarchal one. I can't really let you take the blame, but well, since you offered, sure!

SWO Crash wrote:Having been a follower of Time since almost the beginning (NP 9, 10?) and a reader of the needle-pulled-thing off and on (because, honestly, it's fascinating), I have come across this pondering - might the followers of Time find a kinship with the members of the (U.S.) military? After all, we are told to "hurry up and wait (for it)."

Peace and the blessings of Time to you all.

Although in Time we don't have the "Hurry up" part, just the "Wait for it." But as we are all waiting, I would say there is indeed a kinship. Peace to you as well!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:58 am UTC

Probably the last American up here, just been catching up on the 7+ pages I missed today.

Unlike certain other users who I could mention (you know who you are), I actually read the day's newposts... It takes a certain amount of mentally unstable dedication to do so, but I do it anyway. Better than Outside entertainment, anyway.

As a parting note before I go off to coma (this is becoming a pattern, isn't it, me posting right before I coma), the latest additions make the top bit look sort of like some eastern asian temples...

Spoiler:

Maybe the design is sweeping eastwards across the globe? Maybe this is all a metaphor for how we view ourselves as civilized even if others were demonstrably more so hundreds of years before? Maybe we're all reading into this far too much*?

*That would NEVER be the case.

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:07 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:
patzer wrote:

I'm still around. Been working late nights, which gives me good reason to avoid coma, as well as keep checking in when I feel like slacking.

For the record, alas, I am not helper. Nor is helper, I.

But I did bury his body somewhere out there in the desert.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:13 am UTC

(Tommy) CHONG!
xkcd-time-748.png

Edited to avoid double post.

ChronosDragon wrote:Probably the last American up here, just been catching up on the 7+ pages I missed today.

Nope, I'm still up, here on Pacific time. It's pretty lonely at the moment, though better than it was about 20 minutes ago when it was just me a couple other users, and a couple of bots. Must be time to coma.

Anyway, got my first GONG. I'm happy.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:31 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
patzer wrote:

I'm still around. Been working late nights, which gives me good reason to avoid coma, as well as keep checking in when I feel like slacking.

Ah, you are not helper, but are you Helper?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:39 am UTC

patzer wrote:
cmyk wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
patzer wrote:

Nor him.

But I do make a mean Hamburger Helper.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:45 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:(Tommy) CHONG!
xkcd-time-748.png

ChronosDragon wrote:Probably the last American up here, just been catching up on the 7+ pages I missed today.

Nope, I'm still up, here on Pacific time. It's pretty lonely at the moment, though better than it was about 20 minutes ago when it was just me a couple other users, and a couple of bots. Must be time to coma.

I'm on Pacific time also.
patzer wrote:
cmyk wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
patzer wrote:

Well, according to this graph, cmyk and Helper's posting habits don't line up, so I don't think they're the same.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:50 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:(Tommy) CHONG!
xkcd-time-748.png

I'm on Pacific time also.
patzer wrote:
cmyk wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
patzer wrote:

Well, according to this graph, cmyk and Helper's posting habits don't line up, so I don't think they're the same.

You may see a graph, but all I'm seeing now are sandcastles! I can't stop seeing sandcastles!

ETA: which probably means time to coma... Zzzzzzz

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:04 am UTC

HONG KONGGG!

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:10 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:A Pointy Hat for mojacardave, our graphmeister.
popehat-mojacardave-s.jpg

I will wear it with pride!

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:21 am UTC

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Book_of_Time_Page_481

Quest for the Sands of Time Part 2:

You have to wait 9 days for the weather to pass and the flood waters to recede before continuing on your Quest. About mid morning you come across a poor soul who got stuck in the mud and must have drowned in the rising flood waters. It seem someone has found him already and stripped anything valuable and left him propped up on four large bricks. You continue on your westward quest for two more days before coming to a deep chasm. Their is a rope bridge to the north but as you approach it find an old man with a bunch of viscous looking Dogs. They look like Rottweilers and you can count 13 of them. When you get within ear shot of the man he speaks up and in a very strange accent says: "Qba'g jbeel nobhg gur qbtf. Lbh pna pebff vs lbh jnag. Whfg qba'g jnyx onpxjneqf nf gurl ungr gung naq znl nggnpx!". You try to talk to him but he seems not to understand your speech either.

Do you ignore the 13 frothing dogs and wonder over the bridge
Turn to Page 629
Or retreat slowly with your hands up and find another way across
Turn to Page 54

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:44 am UTC

We don't have the original hash for the 4am (EDT) frame :(

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:54 am UTC

mojacardave wrote:Tracker of the top ten posters on this thread (up to TimeFrame 720). This graph is corrected for the period shift at TimeFrame 240, and so is grouped by total number of posts in a ten hour period. Looks like none of the top ten posters were present on the forum in the first day.

EDIT TO ADD: The top ten are in reverse order on the legend. It's fixable but faffy, and I really couldn't be bothered.

Actually, my first post in this thread was in the first day, by most ways of reckoning it. It just wasn't quite within the first 20 hours 40 NewPices; just 3 NewPices too late to make that cut.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:02 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
patzer wrote:We don't have the original hash for the 4am (EDT) frame :(

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/1f4b3b40ba5dabab5a447e5f2d84fb9700d7378b316631a91382295ddd368ddb.png

There you go :)

http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/?frame=748 <-- url's from there

Oh right, I was wondering if there was somewhere that automatically stores the hashes. Good to know that posting them here is not necessary.
Also, DONG Image

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:50 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
mojacardave wrote:Tracker of the top ten posters on this thread (up to TimeFrame 720). This graph is corrected for the period shift at TimeFrame 240, and so is grouped by total number of posts in a ten hour period. Looks like none of the top ten posters were present on the forum in the first day.

EDIT TO ADD: The top ten are in reverse order on the legend. It's fixable but faffy, and I really couldn't be bothered.

Actually, my first post in this thread was in the first day, by most ways of reckoning it. It just wasn't quite within the first 20 hours 40 NewPices; just 3 NewPices too late to make that cut.

Ah - yes - I guess a 20 TimeFrame grouping was a bit arbitrary. 24 might have been more sensible...

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:01 am UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:11 am UTC

That top level is beginning to look a bit like Makaryev Monastery (as featured in the film Salt (another photo here).

Thoughts, anyone?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:27 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:That top level is beginning to look a bit like Makaryev Monastery (as featured in the film Salt (another photo here).

Thoughts, anyone?

I can see what you mean, but I'm not sure that it looks any more like that than any other castle-y building in a walled compound, especially given that it lacks the little bridge, and cantilevered tower, etc. And I've never bought any of the ideas that any particular sandcastle is supposed to be representative of something from the Outside.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:32 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
patzer wrote:There was a HUGE error on the explainxkcd and xkcd-time wikis where about 60 files had the wrong name. I am currently correcting that.

Cool, thanks! I should maybe start helping out with the wiki as well.

If you do want to help, The Book of Time needs working on.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:36 am UTC

twerked the graph building tool to give you another option:

My graphs:
Spoiler:
TF.png

FP.png

New Graph.png

Tool for building your own:
User Graph v2.xlsx
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 119 times

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

descor

Postby descor » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:14 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:twerked the graph building tool to give you another option:

My graphs:
Spoiler:
The attachment TF.png is no longer available

The attachment FP.png is no longer available

The attachment New Graph.png is no longer available

Tool for building your own:
The attachment User Graph v2.xlsx is no longer available

I love this!
Picture1.png

Look at how long I was lurking!
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:26 pm UTC

I made a new feature- multiple people on one graph.
Attachments
time.png
Hal9000 and buffygirl are neck and neck, racing for second place. Who will make it?

davidy22

Postby davidy22 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

patzer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
patzer wrote:There was a HUGE error on the explainxkcd and xkcd-time wikis where about 60 files had the wrong name. I am currently correcting that.

Cool, thanks! I should maybe start helping out with the wiki as well.

If you do want to help, The Book of Time needs working on.

Gaaaah why fork we both do the same thing pretty much.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

ONG...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

descor

Postby descor » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

CLONG
EDIT: Ninja'd

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Kazza3 wrote:
Eutychus wrote:That top level is beginning to look a bit like Makaryev Monastery (as featured in the film Salt (another photo here).

Thoughts, anyone?

I can see what you mean, but I'm not sure that it looks any more like that than any other castle-y building in a walled compound, especially given that it lacks the little bridge, and cantilevered tower, etc. And I've never bought any of the ideas that any particular sandcastle is supposed to be representative of something from the Outside.

Indeed. It seems unlikely that they don't understand the sea (big!), don't know if there's more than one river (small!), but do have in-depth knowledge of Outside castles.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

htom

Postby htom » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

Huh. I was POTP last page under the old rules, and all I did was announce that I was going to coma. Ah well, you all escape my Papal tyranny. This time!
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

patzer wrote:I made a new feature- multiple people on one graph.

Oh, now that's just promoting competition.
Also, could somebody post the newpix for our newpage? I can't from this iPad.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

QWERTYUIONG...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

descor

Postby descor » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

Picture2.png

That's a mighty narrow sand bridge. Bets on how many TimeFrames it'll last before Cueball breaks it?

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

MAHJONG

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”