1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ChronosDragon

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:21 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:
partingLance wrote:
mscha, I enjoy all your "---ONG" preludes/introductory titles immensely

Indeed-
mscha wrote:CURRAJONG...

mscha wrote:BOGONG...

And I see you may have discovered that Australian place names can be bountiful source of great -ong suffixes.

There's a lot of words that end in -ong. We could be here a while

Not that we weren't going to be, anyway.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:22 am UTC

Quest progress: 330 out of 375 pages.
The Building of the Rooks. NP 633.

I have passed the moment of Chaos, when the Servers failed to respond and the thread denizens of the Past went into brief panic. This explains some worrying sig-communication I received circa newpage 267. Thankfully, it was soon over. As Cueball continued to construct the Rooks, the thread filled with orchestra jokes (Why did the Philharmonic disband? Excessive sax and violins.) and people puzzling out pixel permutations. Fortknights of knights abounded. And then, Cueball brought more Flags, signaling the completion of the rooks and their ultimate integration into the Sandcastle Below.

I wandered by these signposts on my way:
259 out of 324 pages
267 out of 325 pages
271 out of 330 pages

and received these responses to them:
Spoiler:
manvandmaan wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 271 out of 330 pages.
The Scaffolding. NP 472.

These next few newpages have been quite disjointed and irregular. There is a disturbing lack of madness. Logic floods the thread, from trebuchet trajectory analysis to the scarily sane guess that Megan retrieves her building supplies from the nearest IKEA. Even the discussion about spherical cows is too well-reasoned. Thankfully, messages from the future have a reassuring amount of insanity in them. /snip

Worry not, Insanity does indeed await you in the future!
I realise that although I write this in the present, by the time you read this in the future, the aforementioned insantiy will be in your past, which makes this all rather unnecessary.
Still, worry not! And good luck on the continuation of your noble quest, if it is not completed by now.

Nothing is unnecessary on the thread of Time, especially not matters concerning the future, the past, or presents. Presents are always necessary.

higgs-boson wrote:
[...]
The Quest continues!

I ask myself what I would have to pay for bribing a moderator to honor BlitzGirl with a forum rank title. It would be a proper message back in time. I suggest "Anointed One". Or the whole bunch of ceremonial titles posted 2-3 pages earlier. :lol:

I don't know, it seems my list of titles is ever-changing, so a full list below my name would undoubtedly become obsolete quite soon. (However, since I am still wandering about in the past, obsolete might be appropriate.)

silent_death wrote:
[...]
The Quest continues!

It seems like Blitzgirl is getting closer and closer! She might even get here today! (or - within the next 10NP for those living in a different timezone) - We should totally start preparing the Ceremony for her arrival...any Suggestions ?

Good guess! I wish that were so. But if wishes were fishes we'd have enough to fill up the semencoffeecancerbabies sea. And that sea, as we all know, is big.

manvandmaan wrote:I still have some +1 Croissants of Deliciousness in stock I could give her!

Aha, that explains your signature. Are the croissants stale yet?

Here's a whole load of further pastposts:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Is it possible to be a knight and a cardinal at the same time? Do I really need both titles? I kind of like being a knight. But I guess I'll add the cardinal one, because you can't really say no to an honorary title, can you?

Oh, good to know! I guess I'm really a knight, then.

I journey onward through the past posts in this thread, wishing you all the best of luck.

Indeed you are, Sir/Dame1 BlitzGirl!!! And your fellow members3 salute you with our utmost4!

But if you're concerned about just two titles, I shudder to think of what you will think as Time unfolds in your near future, oh, She-Of-the-Multitudinous-Titularosity5!!!!

1 Titular2 preference to be determined.
2 Heh heh... He said "titular"...
3 Heh... and "members".
4 Provided we don't have to actually do anything.
5 Title pending...

I'm glad that title is still pending, so I don't need to add it, too.

Valarya wrote:
kryton wrote:Blitzgirl worry not about being a cardinaled knight. Cardinalship is an honors bestowed, not ordained. A pope can appoint anyone to cardinal, it is only the arch bishops appointed to cardinal that have vows of non competition and voting rights. you can thank me by putting an offering in the plate

And just wait until she reaches page 315 or so and realizes she has much more titles than she ever thought a girl could have.

Not only am I a cardinaled knight, I am a troubadour-bard-poetess-versifier who is the first of the true followers and a patriarch-pilgrim-architect-observer who is the most true followerer-ghost-hurricane-spiders eyes-sister-blitzrandir-reader, a.k.a. B.O.B. When last I checked.

EraObserver wrote:I must state the great hope which the one called BlitzGirl brings to us who read but do not post.
silent_death wrote:I think by now Blitzgirl is a honorary Member of every Church we have, as a few pages ago she was given a honorary Title by Kryton, the honored pope of our sacred eastern Church of unorthodox Timewaiters.

I believe that one has been missed. So let me, as the unofficial non-representative and now non-member of Readers in the Darkness AKA Those who read but do not post, bestow upon Blitzgirl upon her reading this the title/office of the "Hope of the Non-Committal Waiters". Blitzgirl, may you use my sacrifice of destroying any hope of returning to my brothers in the darkness as a way to bring courage to those who wait, but not fervently.

I apologize for my insanity, but after skimming 300 pages since the beginning, I could not resist.

Fine, fine. *adds to signature*

StormAngel wrote:BlitzGirl, your perseverance is truly inspiring. Never Give Up! Never Surrender!!

NGUNS!

silent_death wrote:Am I the only one that thinks that Blitzgirl is turning into some kind of Messiah/Prophet ?

Something great will definitly happen once she reaches the now. I foresee the next great Shism of Beliefs happening upon her arrival.

I'm sure the schism will hit the fan once I finally reach the Now.

Asthanius wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Here is a graph of BlitzGirl's progress through Time.

Along the bottom is the Page she gave us the honor of reporting to us here and the other axis is her percentage progress to her goal. The Goal post is constantly moving making her achievement so much harder and therefore much more glorious when she achieves it. Which we know she already has. As we know she is reading these words now. Only it's her future self reading them. Just Wait for it and it will happen.

Nice graph!

And yet it is concerning that she is appears to asymptotically approach the "Now" -- perhaps, like Zeno, she will never intersect with us in the present, but shall only reach an approximation of "now" that is outside our own universe?

Yes that is a bit concerning. Also you may note the ever increasing regularity of her posts. If this trend continues, which I'm sure it will, then eventually she will reach hard limit of 40 posts per page. From that point on there will be nothing but BlitzGirl! If this is good or bad may be decided by future historians.

It'll become a Blitzgirl Threadological Singularity. Then all bets are off for the future of Time itself.

Ok I've got some really bad news!

By my calculation based on the regularity of BlitzGirls updates I've found we will reach Blitzgirl Threodological Singularity around page 372!

BlitzGirl will both be our savior and our destroyer!

Great Caesar's Ghost!!!

We must prevent this! Perhaps we can convince the mods to skip page 372? Or maybe go to a higher numeric base, thereby confusing the archaic base 10 thread?

To paraphrase the great author Douglas Adams, we may constitute a sorry case, but we don't make threads in base 13.

Since the thread appears to still be ticking onward (as is Time), I guess the Blitzgirl Threadological Singularity around page 372 was avoided. That's a relief.

Finally, some sigcommunication:
Spoiler:
vvn wrote:WWBD - A stern chase is a long chase.

It sure is, when all I have to look at is your poop deck retreating before me.

silent_death wrote:@Blitzgirl: You are an inspiration to all of us, no matter what Time or Church we are from! You can also send forth Donations from the past!

Hey, I sent a couple of gems, didn't I? I don't know if you accept currency from newpage 330.

StormAngel wrote:BlitzGirl beware, black bucket basically brings beach-building brokenness!

StormAngel, stop stressing strained stern-stragglers still stupidly stumbling. Huge histories hold hopeful hearts hostage handily. I invite important, influential input instead.

htom wrote:BlitzGirl -- Journey on, poet.

That's good advice. I think I'll follow it. Onward!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:28 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 330 out of 375 pages.
The Building of the Rooks. NP 633.

45 more pages. So close! I think she's filling the gap as we slow down a bit. The percentage of the thread she has left is approaching 100% anyway...even if the pages left remains more or less constant.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:00 am UTC

WRONG...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:02 am UTC

mscha wrote:WRONG...
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/ef117a ... f39db1.png

-- posted by newpixbot

8 seconds after the hour? I think that's a new record!
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:11 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Eliram wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Eliram wrote::
And I shall name this new castle..... MEGANTRON
:

Seconded.

Thanks. I actually think all the castles should have names. (Correct me if I missed it someyow and there's a wiki page somewhere with castle names, history and list of residents)

Start your suggestions.

Fairly sure that's the first time it's been suggested, actually. I'd go for "Mound of Recursion" for the middle castle, or perhaps Mini Manor.

Castle Cantilever on the right side.
EDIT: newpage! Time to coma.

Hail Pope (Mome)¯ HAL! ..We are still doing that, right? Someone decreed it was no longer a thing, then someone else proclaimed themselves pope on a newpage shortly after. Too many sects® to keep track of!

¯Gender neutral variety? Thothe? Zoxe? Lope?
®He he

What happened was that a PFAN disbanded the Papacy, but then somebody created a new church where the PFAN is the last poster of the page but for that page. Everything they said would be retroactively applied.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:13 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Retro-future time edit: Dash it all, that's not frame 420 in the slightest. It lied to me!

Yes it seems something has broken with the last change to the slider. If you are using geekwagon which I find the best way to look at frames so far then you currently have to use the previous/next frame buttons up the top right to get the frame count to update or push the play button.

partingLance wrote:1 A cat, but still a beloved fambly member. We'd raised her from kittenhood and all.

I'm sorry for your loss. Hope he/she had a good life!

tman2nd wrote:What happened was that a PFAN disbanded the Papacy, but then somebody created a new church where the PFAN is the last poster of the page but for that page. Everything they said would be retroactively applied.

And that means you were pope last page ChronosDragon. your Naming decree will be upheld for that page.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:46 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
tman2nd wrote:What happened was that a PFAN disbanded the Papacy, but then somebody created a new church where the PFAN is the last poster of the page but for that page. Everything they said would be retroactively applied.

And that means you were pope last page ChronosDragon. your Naming decree will be upheld for that page.

Really? I was so happy each time someone discovered they were Pope (Since I was the one who suggested this), it filled my heart with a sense of joy and hope that someday even I might be pope(ular).
I just hope that someone, somepage, will return things to normal. (What a weird use of the word "normal" that must be)
It's about time.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:00 am UTC

To elongate the posting here on a slow Timeframe(?) I shall rant [i][as a loon] as such[/i]:
Megan is getting slower. Cueball is gone too long. What is he having an affair? Do they only work together after they both have their affairs and start to feel guilty? Do they have children? Why doesn't somebody think of the children? They really need a dog in the scene. It could run around, bounce into castle walls, and even piss on things. Would dog/stick-figure piss also be made of semencancerbabies? Oh, is that where it comes from?! Semen comes out of the male, babies comes out of the female, cancer out of them both. Is cancer the product of their combined efforts? Is it the product of their lack of combined effort? They should work together more. If they did, they would be done already. I'm not trying to be impatient, but FUCKING GET SOMEWHERE WITH THIS ALREADY. *ahem* So, people were wondering how the poles kept the stuff above up, so they went with ant-farm theory (my theory btw, sorta), but the poles could just go sideways. Ant-farms ain't stopping that shit! Okay, seriously, WTF is up with the right-most tower thingie with flag not collapsing? Will it only collapse if "Lord Randall" findeth it pleasingeth???? GRRRR! Now onto the forum itself. You're all cool and I like yas. But are we not obviously obsessed? No, please, I mean not to discourage the madness. Just, like, is that just, like, a geek thing? Geek/dork/dweeb...what are those terms? You awesomites can find me that break down, I'm sure. (In venn/line/graph/etc form, even.) Hmm, who here is really OCD? I used to have it. OR I have it??????????? lol. But it is fun. It's kinda like we're having sex. Working real hard, for real long, for our fun. Then you're tired but it felt worth it. And then you fucking coma! I'm gonna coma so hard!!! *COMA'd*

ggh wrote:Of course you are, and one especially appreciated by me.
What's the phone company up to? We are a bit bandwidth-challenged here in NZ I am told, but so far I haven't been a serious-enough user to notice.

Oh, thanks. *blushes* Didn't expect that.

Re:thephonecompany: Unlimited isn't really unlimited if they say so. But I think I'm back to equilibrium with the issue. :)

RobIrr wrote:
mscha wrote:-- posted by newpixbot

Somebody has too much time on their hands.

That, or they want to appear to be the top poster on those nifty charts!

I appreciate his tireless effort on this front.
Unless you mean that bot part. But, developing a bot to post for him would be is cool.
Last edited by azule on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:00 am UTC

KALONG...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:00 am UTC

NONG...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:03 am UTC

mscha wrote:NONG...
-- posted by newpixbot

For a second, I thought you had ninja'd yourself... This may be the first time I have seen no posts between newpix.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

CatHectic

Postby CatHectic » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:03 am UTC

Trying to keep up with the end of this thread, while re-traversing the early eras, is truly sanity-boggling. Though the oddities of those early days are doubly/differently entertaining now that I know at least some of the answers to which predictions were wildly mistaken and which were wildly prescient!

I am continuing to add all the musical references I can find in the thread to the Time Travel Mix on the wiki and on Spotify -- so far, 44 songs suggested directly in the thread (I've re-reached newpage 100 now), and another 24 inspired by recent pages and my own personal encounters with Timely tunes while working on this project.

Onward to more waiting!
Your Larghissimographer, collector of the xkcd Time Travel Mix

Keep going, BlitzGirl the Next (that's you, Vytron! And you too, edo!): remember, tempo rubato, tempo di fulmineo! Please keep sending us news of your progress, with all your blitz class and blitz style...

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:27 am UTC

Dang, mscha, you're on it! I thought I was going to get that GONG, but I was too slow.

I hope this post isn't too annoyingly long. Responding to several things, in no particular order.

Eternal Density wrote:NING NANG NONG!

Finally watched this. WTF is that? I'm not sure it's not going to give me nightmares.

azule wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
Spoiler:
For what it's worth, I'm a cancer survivor, diagnosed with breast cancer a few months before--Megan? Is that her name? Going through it sort of "with" them is one of the things that bonded me to xkcd.

Great to hear you survived (though I didn't know you back then). Glad to have you around.

Aw, thanks! I'm glad too. Otherwise I would have missed all this crazy shit.

descor wrote:
marchlight wrote:Honey badger style - straight for the nut punch.

And just in case you're not convinced:

Spoiler:
http://youtu.be/4r7wHMg5Yjg

EDIT: that clip is NSFW (sweary!)

Honey badger don't care! That video is narrated by Randall, btw. He's a busy guy!

And I served some nut punch at my last party. Everyone loved it.

cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:
...my inductive research continues...

hahahahahahaha

tman2nd wrote:Time won't auto-update for me anymore. :( Does anyone have an idea why?

That was basically the premise of Groundhog Day, wasn't it?

Mycroft_147 wrote:I think my OCD over Time is beginning to give way to my ADD over everything else. I'm struggling to keep waiting for it, but it's becoming increasingly difficult. :cry:

Well, as Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part...

It doesn't help that not much has been happening in Time lately. What happened to Cueball? When was the last time we heard any of their pithy dialogue? ("The sea is rising." "Yeah.") Are we ever going to see what Megan is spending so much time on?

And yet, we wait...

Thanks for the John Denver song, Blitzgirl! Awesome job.

Latent22 wrote:
Spoiler:
A hash is where you take a data/text string and do a repeatable non reversible conversion to a different data/text string. It sort of like a random number but if you use the same input you always get the same random number output. Randall named each png file with a hash like 1f4b3b40ba5dabab5a447e5f2d84fb9700d7378b316631a91382295ddd368ddb in the above png file. An interesting thing is if we knew the hash function he uses and the method he used to generate them we could predict future hash's and see into the future of the comic. But hash's are very hard to break!

Thanks! I think I get it...

partingLance wrote:1 A cat, but still a beloved fambly member. We'd raised her from kittenhood and all.

I'm so sorry! That's always so hard.

azule wrote:
Spoiler:
To elongate the posting here on a slow Timeframe(?) I shall rant [i][as a loon] as such[/i]:
Megan is getting slower. Cueball is gone too long. What is he having an affair? Do they only work together after they both have their affairs and start to feel guilty? Do they have children? Why doesn't somebody think of the children? They really need a dog in the scene. It could run around, bounce into castle walls, and even piss on things. Would dog/stick-figure piss also be made of semencancerbabies? Oh, is that where it comes from?! Semen comes out of the male, babies comes out of the female, cancer out of them both. Is cancer the product of their combined efforts? Is it the product of their lack of combined effort? They should work together more. If they did, they would be done already. I'm not trying to be impatient, but FUCKING GET SOMEWHERE WITH THIS ALREADY. *ahem* So, people were wondering how the poles kept the stuff above up, so they went with ant-farm theory (my theory btw, sorta), but the poles could just go sideways. Ant-farms ain't stopping that shit! Okay, seriously, WTF is up with the right-most tower thingie with flag not collapsing? Will it only collapse if "Lord Randall" findeth it pleasingeth???? GRRRR! Now onto the forum itself. You're all cool and I like yas. But are we not obviously obsessed? No, please, I mean not to discourage the madness. Just, like, is that just, like, a geek thing? Geek/dork/dweeb...what are those terms? You awesomites can find me that break down, I'm sure. (In venn/line/graph/etc form, even.) Hmm, who here is really OCD? I used to have it. OR I have it??????????? lol. But it is fun. It's kinda like we're having sex. Working real hard, for real long, for our fun. Then you're tired but it felt worth it. And then you fucking coma! I'm gonna coma so hard!!! *COMA'd*

And there we see the first person driven insane by Time.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:34 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:And there we see the first person driven insane by Time.

Only the first?
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:40 am UTC

CatHectic wrote:/snip

If I may, The Undercover Man- Van der Graaf Generator has some strangely relevant lines:

When the Madness comes, let it flood on down and over me sweetly,
Let it drown the parts of me, weak and blessed and damned
Let it slake my life, let it take my soul and living completely
Let It be who I am.

There may not be Time for us all to run in tandem together,
The horizon calls with its parallel lines
It may not be right for you to have and hold in one way forever,
And yet you still have Time, you still have Time.

For those who predict an end to time:
Quartet for the End of Time- Olivier Messiaen

And for the loopists, maybe this:
Perpetual Change- Yes

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:57 am UTC

azule wrote:To elongate the posting here on a slow Timeframe(?) I shall rant [i][as a loon] as such[/i]:

CoLoRs!

This is just how I like to break up my long, odd working hours when I'm pulling these kinds of days/nights. By weriding out in internet forums. Typically it's nothing this OCD/ADD in appearance, but due to the nature of this oddly intriguing, eternally unfolding *thing* on xkcd, my nerd levels are climbing off the charts — perhaps to toxic levels.

Besides, you people are so fun, it's hard to resist any impulse I have if a certain visual or gag grabs me. And being insatiably curious only adds kerosene to the semenbabycoffeewater, and I have fun trying to predict where this might be going more in the back of my mind, as even after this long, and so many predictions from others, all bets are still off as to what Randall's up to here.

That said, I'm not letting it get much in the way of work or family. I just consider it my current passtime.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:00 am UTC

SOONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:01 am UTC

Damn yer fast, mscha!

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:03 am UTC

Seriously! How do you do that?

ETA: Time to coma. Past time, really.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:04 am UTC

cmyk wrote:Damn yer fast, mscha!

mscha wrote:-- posted by newpixbot

EDIT: 200th post!

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:09 am UTC

Caswallon wrote:
-- posted by newpixbot

For a second, I thought you had ninja'd yourself... This may be the first time I have seen no posts between newpix.

If we wait long enough, everything will happen at least once.

descor

Postby descor » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:37 am UTC

Montov wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
-- posted by newpixbot

Infinite monkeys, infinite TimeFrames - yadda, yadda
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:40 am UTC

cmyk wrote:I'll pretty much wear anything anyone throws at me. ;)

*throws panties at cmyk*

Montov wrote:[If we wait long enough, everything will happen at least once.

Only if Time is normal!

Can I have one of those posts/newpix graphs? I don't have Excel.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:53 am UTC

azule wrote:To elongate the posting here on a slow Timeframe(?) I shall rant [i][as a loon] as such[/i]:
Now onto the forum itself. You're all cool and I like yas. But are we not obviously obsessed? No, please, I mean not to discourage the madness. Just, like, is that just, like, a geek thing? Geek/dork/dweeb...what are those terms? You awesomites can find me that break down, I'm sure. (In venn/line/graph/etc form, even.) Hmm, who here is really OCD? I used to have it. OR I have it??????????? lol.

You asked for it...
It's about time.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:00 am UTC

MONTHLONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:12 am UTC

descor wrote:
Montov wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
-- posted by newpixbot

Infinite monkeys, infinite TimeFrames - yadda, yadda

Or as the greatest dad ever said: Bla bla bla, yackity smackity.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:14 am UTC

Sometimes pets are the hardest to lose. My condolences to you and yours.

Well, he's cheating. I think he's contributing to thread slowdown too. There were times when I made an effort to make sure the Newpix got posted, which meant I was online and might respond to what someone said. I'm less likely to respond to things said while I'm away, depending on how many newpages I have to catch up on. Now I have a high confidence that it will be posted, so less need to stay here.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:34 am UTC

Did you guys know Cueball has been gone 72 frames now! This is 3 outside days now. What has he done in that time I wonder? And when will he return. We can but wait I guess.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:45 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:
cmyk wrote:I'll pretty much wear anything anyone throws at me. ;)

*throws panties at cmyk*

YES! Just the thing I was looking for... Time to coma in my new banana hammock!

Ohhh! So stretchy!

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

KOSHKONONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

Well, he's cheating. I think he's contributing to thread slowdown too. There were times when I made an effort to make sure the Newpix got posted, which meant I was online and might respond to what someone said. I'm less likely to respond to things said while I'm away, depending on how many newpages I have to catch up on. Now I have a high confidence that it will be posted, so less need to stay here.

Indeed. I used to took a pleasure in getting the pix posted occasionally, and would take the effort to comment too. I'm not as madeloquent as the rest of you, so don't write as much anyway, although I'm reading it all..
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

I really think mscha needs to stop using the bot (if he really is). It's kind of dickish, and I'm pretty sure it's not entirely in accordance to the rules.
EDIT: well that was kinda rude of me. Fixed for posterity. Din't worry Blitzmädchen, we're still a happy family!
Last edited by HAL9000 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:45 pm UTC

I guess I can't simply wait for it (heresy, I know).
Last edited by AluisioASG on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:45 pm UTC

15k posts on this needle-pulled thingy.
Just in Time.

PS. I propose we abolish all titles given to BlitzGirl and simply call her "The Archduchess of Time". A single, magnificent title.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

YEARLONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

I like the bot. I like it when computers do repetitive, simple tasks which computers are good at, correctly (no time.png) every time, so the humans' time is free for having insane discussions. I like programming computers to do that, and I'd be annoyed if a PHB told me not to use such tools (especially when I'd only just written them) so that people have more mundane tasks to complete/compete over/talk about.

Maybe the bot could link to the other auto-collected images (e.g. aubronwood and that other one I don't remember the URL of yet) and the wiki, so people don't have to keep bumping them. Some day perhaps it'll automatically post updates of graphs, hats, etc. We won't even need to be here! But we will be, if it's fun. All the fun parts of life are optional. If there is a downturn in discussion, at least BlitzGirl will get here sooner. And what will we do then? I suggest we destroy the moon.

ETA: The only thing I don't like about the bot is that it doesn't give other people the chance to show their creativity in 'ONG' words. Maybe somebody here has been thinking 'Oooh, I can't wait till I get to be the one to post an ONG! WOLLONGONG is going to kill!' and is now put out by the robot overlong. So I would like to suggest that there be some kind of web interface where people can submit their ONGs (along with their usernames, if they want to get credit for them) and the bot could add these to its list.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:I like the bot. I like it when computers do repetitive, simple tasks which computers are good at, correctly (no time.png) every time, so the humans' time is free for having insane discussions. I like programming computers to do that, and I'd be annoyed if a PHB told me not to use such tools (especially when I'd only just written them) so that people have more mundane tasks to complete/compete over/talk about.

Maybe the bot could link to the other auto-collected images (e.g. aubronwood and that other one I don't remember the URL of yet) and the wiki, so people don't have to keep bumping them. Some day perhaps it'll automatically post updates of graphs, hats, etc. We won't even need to be here! But we will be, if it's fun. All the fun parts of life are optional. If there is a downturn in discussion, at least BlitzGirl will get here sooner. And what will we do then? I suggest we destroy the moon.

ETA: The only thing I don't like about the bot is that it doesn't give other people the chance to show their creativity in 'ONG' words. Maybe somebody here has been thinking 'Oooh, I can't wait till I get to be the one to post an ONG! WOLLONGONG is going to kill!' and is now put out by the robot overlong. So I would like to suggest that there be some kind of web interface where people can submit their ONGs (along with their usernames, if they want to get credit for them) and the bot could add these to its list.

If the bot was encouraging discussion that would be one thing. But since the bot got turned on, discussion has decreased, and for some of us at least, so has the fun. I'd hope that the ONG isn't the only creativity we have left. I wouldn't mind some sort of backup to the humans, but I don't like the bot the way it is.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

Quest progress: 339 out of 376 pages.
The Building of the Rooks. NP 583.

Signposts passed:
275 out of 336 pages
281 out of 337 pages
283 out of 338 pages

My Quest draws ever nearer its endpoint: for perhaps the first time I have less than 40 newpages standing between myself and the Now. It is overwhelming, to feel such a massive present presence so close. As Megan asks Cueball if it rains on the Sea, I step lightly through posts speculating about snow-as-construction-material (again?), Phantom Tollbooth references (yay!) and the brief interjection of Outside matters (still thinking of you, Boston! and West!). It surely will not be long before I join you in Time.

Of course, I'm still climbing over mounds of pastposts, like these:
Spoiler:
StormAngel wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
The Scaffolding. NP 472.

<...snip...>
Believe me, I am not all that powerful - I would have finished my Quest by now, surely. I suppose I will just Wait for It and see.
<...snip...>

Unfortunately it has evolved to the point where it matters not how you view yourself -- you've been elevated to legendary status by virtue of your deeds. the people have spoken.

"Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them"
I think you've both achieved and been thrusted...

Another word of advice for BlitzGirl: With great Greatness, comes... ah... powerful Responsibility. Yes, I'm sure that's it, right?

Great Greatness? Can't I just have Decent Greatness? Or Great Decency?

thirds wrote:Now I must do the requisite post-first-post fasting in post-celebration, reading the travails of BlitzGirl in reverse. My only regret is that I have nothing in my past to offer her. That is, until such a future time as this post is recorded, upon the clicking of the Submit and the approval of the heavenly Mods, and the past-ward direction of these words collides with the future-ward direction of her quest. (In that future-past instance in which you might be reading this, BlitzGirl, I bow my head and raise my eyebrow in a comfy-yet-seductive manner)

*brushes past* Sure, thanks for the post, thirds. See you upthread, hopefully - don't get lost in the past of my past! I would stay and chat longer but alas, I can't dilly-dally.

CatHectic wrote:Hola, Time travelers...

Another new enlistee, a fellow slogger through the entirety of the needle-pulled thing in Blitzgirl's wake, a sleepless patient who has passed through the Reckoning to join you in the cathectic future!

Greetings!

Congrats on the completion of your Quest, fellow traveler!

Mycroft_147 wrote:Three things must happen quickly (and sequentially) on-before what which mayan fore-onhappened to me mayan fore-spreaded to others!

Blitzgirl must complete her trek.

The Whistle of Temporal Harmony must be returned.

Time must end.

Hmm. The first two shall come to pass shortly (Randall willing) but I doubt Time will end anytime soon. At least, it had better not end before I have completed points 1 and 2.

Caswallon wrote:I have enjoyed using Blitzgirls' post a sort of running history of the near past, And now we have a sort of causality loop where our present, is affecting the past, which is Blitzgirls present, where she sends messages to her future, our present, which affects us.....

So, when do we get a paradox that collapses the singularity and all of time?

I'm looking forward to collapsing a few levels of signpost. All will be much clearer when my past is your past and my future is Now. And there should be presents in there somewhere.

42guests wrote:I have enjoyed catching up on the thread by reading about Blitzgirl's catching up on the thread.

To be truly worthy of Time, it is better to read it all, and not merely my signposts.

silent_death wrote:
KarMann wrote:
silent_death wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Update on BlitzGirl's progress

Very good! I had hoped someone kept track properly...looking at this I would estimate that Blitzgirl arrives here on about Page 360 or so if the current rate of posting stays the same (by my estimation it is declining at a very slow rate, but I don´t have any data to back this)

Ack. We know what Randall thinks of people who don't label their axes. I took the horizontal axis to be NewPices, but you're right, it must be NewPages. I still hold that she'll catch up in 10-12, though, rather than the 20 you seem to expect.

Added: What XonqNopp said.

Well yeah, the not-labeling of the axis is sub-optimal, but didn´t want to complain about something I didn´t do :D

The 20 was just based upon the general trajectory of the curve, which i just guessed. Probably your 10-12 are closer to reality as Blitzgirl will probly make a giant sprint at the last 10-20 pages when she starts seeing the finishing line.

360? Well, that's shot.

mscha wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Update on BlitzGirl's progress

Methinks the percentage isn't as interesting as the number of pages BlitzGirl still has to read. The percentage read could go up, but if the number of to be read pages doesn't drop, she's in trouble.
It's not looking too good at the moment... The last few updates are: 66, 65, 58, 59, 61 pages to be read.
Edit: actually, I missed the latest couple of updates: 56, 50 pages to be read. That's better!
Go, BlitzGirl!

Woo! Thank you!

ggh wrote:BlitzGirl, you are fabulous. If the destination of this comic turns out to be lame, the journey for me will still have been worthwhile because of you. I hadn't directed any encouragement toward you thus far, because I am a bit awkward and feel like an outsider here, but your poem is so beautifully done I couldn't not say anything. Good on ya for the whole lot.

Thank you, too!

Caswallon wrote:
Flotter wrote:B/G/DONG:
And thanks for the update, BlitzGirl. You're catching up quite nicely, keep up the good work!

And soon she will be in the present, but how are we going to keep track of the passage of past time?

Find a bright-eyed youth of the forum, untouched by Time, and send this eager soul back to the Beginning of Time in the thread. Then read the quest signposts that follow. Brutal? Perhaps. But less brutal than sacrificing a semi-truck full of male-virgin-babies, I think.

HAL9000 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 275 out of 336 pages.
The Tasting. NP 484.

Forsake my Quest? Never! I shall Quest to the end of Time if I have to (and probably beyond that, as more posts will subsequently be added to the thread of Time).

Spoken like a true Knight Temporal.

The river is small!

vvn wrote:
StormAngel wrote:Yes, of course. But we need to keep a record of alternate timelines for BlitzGirl :)

Yes, of course. All hail Blitzgirl.

It's snow small feat, living up to your expectations. But I promise that my rain will be one of peace.

Dracomax wrote:Okay, I was going to just Wait, but Blitzgirl is still 50 pages back...

and now, I am taking a solemn vow of silence--I shall not post again until Blitzgirl reaches this page. This shall serve two purposes; to challenge my strength of will, and reduce the amount of posts until Blitzgirl reaches the present.

I would urge others to make the same vow, but I encourage you to remember: the Inquisition is always watching, and while punishment may be delayed, it is only to teach you the true meaning of the great commandment: Wait for it.

Psst...Dracomax. You can unvow yourself now.

I also passed this sneaky edit from what-was-then-the-future-but-is-now-past:
histrion, Edit April 16 wrote:Psst! Blitzgirl! I've journeyed from the future to warn you - in about ten pages you're going to run into a bunch of Holy Grail quotes. I just want to reassure you... it'll pass. The Spanish Inquisition keeps popping up because nobody ever seems to expect it, but the unladen swallow thing will be short-lived.

Also, if you're worried about the number of titles you're gaining, and the thickness of the beatification paperwork binder, don't sweat it... you can appoint lackeys to fill out a lot of it.

Cheering you on!

Thanks. Problem is, I can't appoint lackeys until I rejoin the future, and most of my paperwork seems to be plaguing me here in the past. Curse you, temporal bureaucracy!

Some lovely sigcouragement:
Spoiler:
treadman wrote:Hurry home BlitzGirl

But I've been home this entire time! This...this must all have been a dream! And you and you and you… and you were there. But you couldn’t have been could you? No. Aunt Em, this was a real truly live thread and I remember some of it wasn’t very nice, but most of it was beautiful; but just the same. All I kept saying to everybody was I want to go to the future and I'm nearly there!

lmjb1964 wrote:Blitzgirl, take heart! The postage rate slows down in the future.

Aw, dangit, I bought some Forever stamps back on newpage 216.

tman2nd wrote:Things are calming down in the present. Keep going Blitzgirl! And you, too Vytron.

Ooh, who's Vytron? A fellow wanderer? Take heart, wherever you are in the great thread of Time!

XonqNopp wrote:Go BlitzGirl!! You almost joined us in the present of Time!!

WHY IS THIS IN PAST TENSE?! Is this some kind of dark prophecy?!

Anyway, I end on a poem:
StratPlayer wrote:
histrion wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:The Time Less Traveled
Two Times diverged in a forum thread:
The Now, and newpages long since made.
But which to wander? In my head
Current posting, the past unread,
Meant I would not be long delayed.

But lack context? I wouldn't dare -
So back into the past I went.
The One True Comic waited there
With newpix left by users fair
And discussions of religious bent.

Both Times that day appeared as just.
I chose the posts that had amassed.
And in Time, I knew I surely must
Re-glimpse the Now that was discussed,
Although by then it would be Past.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere newpix and newpix hence:
Two Times diverged in a thread and I —
I chose the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

That. Is. AWESOME.

Abso-posit-lute-ivly!!!

"Time is amazing, each moment that occurs;
the more I learn of it, the less I know it.
Hail Blitzgirl, of the massive titulars:
Time traveler, inspiration, and poet!"

--Anon

Thank you both!
In return, with apologies to Carl Sandburg this time:

BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl comes
on sore, weary feet.

She sits looking
over newpage and sigs
and silent TimeFrames
and then moves on.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

Oh, no.
I think I will miss BlitzGirl's triumphal Coming.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”