1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

descor

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby descor » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:My Quest draws ever nearer its endpoint

This fills me with both great happiness and great sadness. A bittersweet moment it will be when BlitzGirl finally arrives in the present. We will have the joy of her presence but I will miss cheering her on and following her quest. I'm reminded of the feeling I had when London 2012 was nearing its end.
SBN wrote:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:I like the bot. I like it when computers do repetitive, simple tasks which computers are good at, correctly (no time.png) every time, so the humans' time is free for having insane discussions. I like programming computers to do that, and I'd be annoyed if a PHB told me not to use such tools (especially when I'd only just written them) so that people have more mundane tasks to complete/compete over/talk about.

Maybe the bot could link to the other auto-collected images (e.g. aubronwood and that other one I don't remember the URL of yet) and the wiki, so people don't have to keep bumping them. Some day perhaps it'll automatically post updates of graphs, hats, etc. We won't even need to be here! But we will be, if it's fun. All the fun parts of life are optional. If there is a downturn in discussion, at least BlitzGirl will get here sooner. And what will we do then? I suggest we destroy the moon.

ETA: The only thing I don't like about the bot is that it doesn't give other people the chance to show their creativity in 'ONG' words. Maybe somebody here has been thinking 'Oooh, I can't wait till I get to be the one to post an ONG! WOLLONGONG is going to kill!' and is now put out by the robot overlong. So I would like to suggest that there be some kind of web interface where people can submit their ONGs (along with their usernames, if they want to get credit for them) and the bot could add these to its list.

If the bot was encouraging discussion that would be one thing. But since the bot got turned on, discussion has decreased, and for some of us at least, so has the fun. I'd hope that the ONG isn't the only creativity we have left. I wouldn't mind some sort of backup to the humans, but I don't like the bot the way it is.

I totally agree. I think the bot is a bad idea - especially as it was added without asking what other people thought.

ETA: Woo, 50 posts! Only another fifty before I get to use the word penis ...
Last edited by descor on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

I once bought some Oolong tea.
Chinese it was, or so it seemed.
At least the box was nice and looked
... well.... Chinese.

The Oolong tea had awful taste.
I drank it still, what do I know?
The Chinese have invented tea
after all.

I slowly drank a cup, or two,
I still have leaves there, in the box.
The box is nice, the tea is shit.
And I guess...
that perhaps Oolong eluded the bot.
It's about time.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Wooo! I waited faster than the bot!!

/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

descor

Postby descor » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

chem1190c wrote:Wooo! I waited faster than the bot!!
Spoiler:

Well played Sir/Ma'am/Si'am

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
mscha wrote:WRONG...
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/ef117a ... f39db1.png

-- posted by newpixbot

8 seconds after the hour? I think that's a new record!

Not really. Ever since the newpixbot took over, it has been 8-10 seconds. But before that, I actually had one manually posted at 6 (Outside) seconds past newpix.

SBN wrote:
cmyk wrote:Damn yer fast, mscha!

Well, he's cheating. I think he's contributing to thread slowdown too. There were times when I made an effort to make sure the Newpix got posted, which meant I was online and might respond to what someone said. I'm less likely to respond to things said while I'm away, depending on how many newpages I have to catch up on. Now I have a high confidence that it will be posted, so less need to stay here.

HAL9000 wrote:I really think mscha needs to stop using the bot (if he really is). It's kind of dickish, and I'm pretty sure it's not entirely in accordance to the rules.

SBN wrote:If the bot was encouraging discussion that would be one thing. But since the bot got turned on, discussion has decreased, and for some of us at least, so has the fun. I'd hope that the ONG isn't the only creativity we have left. I wouldn't mind some sort of backup to the humans, but I don't like the bot the way it is.

Well, cheating was certainly not my intention. (I'd have left the “posted by newpixbot” out if I had meant to cheat.)
I also don't believe discussion has decreased because of the bot, in fact, I wrote the bot precisely because things were so quiet around here, and newpix were (almost) missed, or incorrectly posted without anyone noticing. (As other people noted, Time has gotten a bit boring recently (is that heresy?), which IMO is the biggest reason for the slowdown. What is there to discuss about yet another pixel twerk to Meganstein?)

Anyway, I've changed the bot to try to post not earlier than 5 (Outside) minutes past every newpix. This gives Real Live People a chance to make the post, but if there aren't any, at least the newpixly update won't be missed.
Is that okay with everyone?
(The bot is smart enough to not post if there is already a (correct) post of the current newpix. This actually works, as was proven by chem1190c. (His manual post really added to the discussion, in contrast with the bot posts. :wink: ))

Angelastic wrote:I like the bot. I like it when computers do repetitive, simple tasks which computers are good at, correctly (no time.png) every time, so the humans' time is free for having insane discussions. I like programming computers to do that, and I'd be annoyed if a PHB told me not to use such tools (especially when I'd only just written them) so that people have more mundane tasks to complete/compete over/talk about.

Maybe the bot could link to the other auto-collected images (e.g. aubronwood and that other one I don't remember the URL of yet) and the wiki, so people don't have to keep bumping them. Some day perhaps it'll automatically post updates of graphs, hats, etc. We won't even need to be here! But we will be, if it's fun. All the fun parts of life are optional. If there is a downturn in discussion, at least BlitzGirl will get here sooner. And what will we do then? I suggest we destroy the moon.

ETA: The only thing I don't like about the bot is that it doesn't give other people the chance to show their creativity in 'ONG' words. Maybe somebody here has been thinking 'Oooh, I can't wait till I get to be the one to post an ONG! WOLLONGONG is going to kill!' and is now put out by the robot overlong. So I would like to suggest that there be some kind of web interface where people can submit their ONGs (along with their usernames, if they want to get credit for them) and the bot could add these to its list.

Thanks for the encouragement. :)
All interesting ideas. But since the bot will now probably rarely get a chance to post, probably not worth the effort.
Last edited by mscha on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

DavidRa

Postby DavidRa » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Maybe somebody here has been thinking 'Oooh, I can't wait till I get to be the one to post an ONG! WOLLONGONG is going to kill!' and is now put out by the robot overlong. So I would like to suggest that there be some kind of web interface where people can submit their ONGs (along with their usernames, if they want to get credit for them) and the bot could add these to its list.

I must admit I had been considering WOBBEGONG (the family of carpet sharks) for a while there. But I'm never around at NewPixTime and otherwise far too slow.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

descor wrote:
SBN wrote:
Spoiler:

If the bot was encouraging discussion that would be one thing. But since the bot got turned on, discussion has decreased, and for some of us at least, so has the fun. I'd hope that the ONG isn't the only creativity we have left. I wouldn't mind some sort of backup to the humans, but I don't like the bot the way it is.

I totally agree. I think the bot is a bad idea - especially as it was added without asking what other people thought.

the Book of Geekwagon is already saving the hashes for us, so the bot's really not needed. If a newpix is missed because nobody's online (if that's possible), then the next person who is online can take it from there and post it here.

Thanks for adding the 5-minute gap though, mscha. It's long enough to give the fleshbags a chance, but still will put up the newpix if nobody else does. (sorry if I was kinda rude earlier, by the way. I get like that when I'm really tired.)
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

To be fair, the bot is actually encouraging discussion.. I mean, we've apparently spent the last page or so discussing the effect the bot has on encouraging discussion. That's not really any more or less valid than any other topic that's emerged in this thread.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

chem1190c wrote:To be fair, the bot is actually encouraging discussion.. I mean, we've apparently spent the last page or so discussing the effect the bot has on encouraging discussion. That's not really any more or less valid than any other topic that's emerged in this thread.

It is interesting how we've cycled back to the mechanics of the comic itself.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Can I have one of those posts/newpix graphs? I don't have Excel.

Nobody done this for you yet?

(by the way, has someone updated that raw post data in the pastebin yet?)
Attachments
a.png
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

patzer wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Can I have one of those posts/newpix graphs? I don't have Excel.

Nobody done this for you yet?

(by the way, has someone updated that raw post data in the pastebin yet?)

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with using Excel to plot* data.. but do we really need those horizontal grid lines? Not to mention those are individual data points, why isn't this a scatter plot? :mrgreen:

edit: See what a huge difference some minor formatting changes can make? Nothing worse than seeing solid data ruined by poor presentation.
Screen shot 2013-04-21 at 10.52.43 AM.png
Figure 1 - Bad Excel Plot
Screen shot 2013-04-21 at 10.52.43 AM.png (18.19 KiB) Viewed 11255 times
Screen shot 2013-04-21 at 10.57.18 AM.png
Figure 2 - Good Excel Plot
Screen shot 2013-04-21 at 10.57.18 AM.png (21.93 KiB) Viewed 11255 times

For instance in Figure 1 you can't even tell if there's any datapoints at velociraptor = 1 and velociraptor = 3 because the plotting style actually obscures perfectly good results.

*just please don't try and use Excel for actual curve fitting or statistical analysis.
Last edited by chem1190c on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:28 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

This thread has turned into a discussion thread of itself.
Stuff needs to start happening with those castles.
EDIT: HEADSTRONG
headstrong indeed. My computer's clock is a little fast. Here we go, for reals this time:
her head's turned the other way. Maybe she's watched some ants play tennis.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:EDIT: HEADSTRONG
headstrong indeed. My computer's clock is a little fast. Here we go, for reals this time:

Oh, sure, and that's not cheating, using a post from 12 minutes before newpix. :)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:EDIT: HEADSTRONG

Oh, sure, and that's not cheating, using a post from 12 minutes before newpix. :)

Hey, I refreshed a few times to make sure I wasn't edit-ninjaing.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:her head's turned the other way. Maybe she's watched some ants play tennis.

Or perhaps she's listening to several people having a meta-discussion about what causes people to have meta-discussions on the internet.

edit: Of course "listening" probably isn't the best choice of words. If she were listening to this discussion all she'd hear is the sound of rapid typing.

edit2: Unless it was a podcast about people having meta-discussions on the internet. Then she could in fact be listening to it.
Last edited by chem1190c on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:12 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

You know, if the sand in the rightmost tower was wet with semen it could explain it's structural strength...

I think we've passed the age of enlightenment as we are now discussing statistics and our own doom at the hands of robot overlords with only occasional half-hearted theological discussions.

Perhaps the One True Comic is a reference to the 2nd law of thermodynamics? The water rising is the inevitable march of entropy and every effort the two take only adds to entropy even as it contributes to beauty. Though in this metaphor I'm not sure what the river is.

BlitzGirl has been making good progress. I realized that my predictions on page 365 were based on faulty math, I've corrected that (I think). My current prediction puts unity at NewPage 454. About two [BlitzGirl] posts ago my model predicted a relative maximum of 497, so she's been doing a lot of catching up over the last few dozen newpix. If I had to take a guess based on my model it would be around 420ish? What with the lull in newposts and other people assumption that she will sprint when the end is in sight.

edit: ack! caught some heresy and spelling/grammar mistakes. note to self: edit your posts before you submit them
Last edited by jovialbard on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:26 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

chem1190c wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:her head's turned the other way. Maybe she's watched some ants play tennis.

Or perhaps she's listening to several people having a meta-discussion about what causes people to have meta-discussions on the internet.

Oh, I've got it! She's shaking her head at us in disapproval!

richP

Postby richP » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

DavidRa wrote:I must admit I had been considering WOBBEGONG (the family of carpet sharks) for a while there. But I'm never around at NewPixTime and otherwise far too slow.

Carpet sharks? No, WOBBEGONG is the sound made by a church bell in a small Minnesota town.
Spoiler:
The bell in the tower of Our Lady of Perpetual Responsibility, I think.

htom

Postby htom » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:1 A cat, but still a beloved fambly member. We'd raised her from kittenhood and all.

The loss of such friends should be mourned. My condolences, partingLance.

The Bot. I totally agree with you, mscha, that catching NewPix is a great use of a bot. They (the computers) are supposed to be helping us, not merely frustrating us. I was going to recommend you have it, too, wait for it, and you've done so before you're even asked. :biggoofygrin: We do get the good things, competition and completeness. Thank you.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

Maybe Megan's head turned because she heard Cueball coming back...

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

It looks like she's getting sick of making sand castles and wants to kick that castle she just made in the nuts.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

descor

Postby descor » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Thanks for adding the 5-minute gap though, mscha. It's long enough to give the fleshbags a chance, but still will put up the newpix if nobody else does. (sorry if I was kinda rude earlier, by the way. I get like that when I'm really tired.)

Wow, still no flame war; I was sure that the bot was going to be a bone of contention, but a sensible response from everyone. I love you guys!

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Rosewinsall

Postby Rosewinsall » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

dead?

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

FLONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot

Edit: Oh no, more pixel twerking...
Last edited by mscha on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

I had a look at geekwagon and aubronwood, and both have 780 frames. Interestingly, I have 784 of them...
It took me some time to find the discrepancies, but I found them: they're from two times that the OTC was acting up.
(I only compared with geekwagon, aubronwood might be different.)

One picture is definitely missing. Between 681 and 682 (according to geekwagon), I have this one.
(This was when we got no newpix on the (Outside) hour twice in a row, got 2 newpix in rapid succession during that second (Outside) hour before going back on schedule.)

The other three are more complicated. I have three frames between geekwagon's 255 and 256, this is when time.png was redirecting to a different image than the notorious Javascript. (Did anyone notice there's Javascript on the OTC page? :wink: )
I saved both sets of images at the time. I didn't save the original hash ID's, but what I can find in the archives of this forum, are two sets of 3 IDs, which now both link to the same images. (This and this, this and this, this and this.) The Lord Randall, in His infinite wisdom, must have changed this after the fact.
So what to do with my three frames (one, two, three)? Are these now apocryphal?

Update:
I have now also looked at aubronwood. Its frame 682 corresponds to my extra frame, and it doesn't have geekwagon's frame 682.
For the other three frames, aubronwood and geekwagon are in agreement, so neither has my apocryphal frames. (They wouldn't, since they link directly to imgs dot xkcd dot com.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

htom

Postby htom » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I had a look at geekwagon and aubronwood, and both have 780 frames. Interestingly, I have 784 of them...
It took me some time to find the discrepancies, but I found them: they're from two times that the OTC was acting up.
(I only compared with geekwagon, aubronwood might be different.)

One picture is definitely missing. Between 681 and 682 (according to geekwagon), I have this one.
(This was when we got no newpix on the (Outside) hour twice in a row, got 2 newpix in rapid succession during that second (Outside) hour before going back on schedule.)

The other three are more complicated. I have three frames between geekwagon's 255 and 256, this is when time.png was redirecting to a different image than the notorious Javascript. (Did anyone notice there's Javascript on the OTC page? :wink: )
I saved both sets of images at the time. I didn't save the original hash ID's, but what I can find in the archives of this forum, are two sets of 3 IDs, which now both link to the same images. (This and this, this and this, this and this.) The Lord Randall, in His infinite wisdom, must have changed this after the fact.
So what to do with my three frames (one, two, three)? Are these now apocryphal?

Update:
I have now also looked at aubronwood. Its frame 682 corresponds to my extra frame, and it doesn't have geekwagon's frame 682.
For the other three frames, aubronwood and geekwagon are in agreement, so neither has my apocryphal frames. (They wouldn't, since they link directly to imgs dot xkcd dot com.)

This time thing, it is not as straightforward as we think it is.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

htom wrote:This time thing, it is not as straightforward as we think it is.

Yeah, a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

PICONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Anyway, I've changed the bot to try to post not earlier than 5 (Outside) minutes past every newpix. This gives Real Live People a chance to make the post, but if there aren't any, at least the newpixly update won't be missed.
(The bot is smart enough to not post if there is already a (correct) post of the current newpix. This actually works, as was proven by chem1190c. (His manual post really added to the discussion, in contrast with the bot posts. :wink: ))

As I was catching up on the posts prior to this, post-coma, this was pretty much exactly the fix I had in mind. I was thinking 10 minutes rather than 5, but quite reasonable certainly, and I also had the problem of prior-.+ong detection in mind, which it seems you've seen to. Well done!
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

htom

Postby htom » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
htom wrote:This time thing, it is not as straightforward as we think it is.

Yeah, a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

Arbitrarily, NewPIx Na are aubronwood's, Ng are geekwagons's, Ni are imgs dot xkcd and Nm are mscha's

NewPix 681 you all agree on; and then there are 682a, 682g, and you have both 682a and 682g; and then you all agree on 683.

I can see how this might be fixed. Sticking the missing frame into those two sequences (and the wiki) is easy. Changing all of the references to subsequent frame numbers in the wiki, the forum, ... is non-trivial, and doing so without error I don't want to think about. Just not thinking about it is giving me a headache.

NewPix 255m1, 255m2, and 255m3 vs 255i1, 255i2, and 255i3 ... Rashomon effect, anyone? Apocryphal may be what they are.

When all is said and done, perhaps Lord Randall will cast a spell of Comprehension & Correction upon us.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

Speaking of all the bots and computer overlords...
I dabbled a bit with python and what came up after a lot of data gathering is a very basic, very preliminary api server:

Throw a frame number at it and it will respond with a hash1.

Example:

Code: Select all

http://178.79.159.24/Time/api/frame/2

yields

1e349a579b5f9b5ed487ddf7e88244b70330941ddedac9c6abf6ed2e3f589b97

Throw two frame numbers at it, and it will respond with a diffed version png of them.

Example:

Code: Select all

http://178.79.159.24/Time/api/diff/2/3

yields

Since all this is very preliminary, I suggest not to link directly to the url but upload the image seperatly.

Just don't hammer the thing... I am neither a programmer nor a webdesigner and it is just a development server. It should be decently cached, but you know:2
The server is small.
The internet ist big.

1 Before you ask: No it is not computed, it gets it out of its database...
2 I still have to automate the image gathering thing, it currently halts at number 779.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

mscha wrote:PICONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot

She is peeing like a dude! Maybe Megan is turning into Joe Biden. Soon he/she will be eating a sandwich.

fatness

Postby fatness » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Speaking of all the bots and computer overlords...
I dabbled a bit with python and what came up after a lot of data gathering is a very basic, very preliminary api server:

Very nice. Once again Time proves to be worth waiting for.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
mscha wrote:Anyway, I've changed the bot to try to post not earlier than 5 (Outside) minutes past every newpix. This gives Real Live People a chance to make the post, but if there aren't any, at least the newpixly update won't be missed.

As I was catching up on the posts prior to this, post-coma, this was pretty much exactly the fix I had in mind. I was thinking 10 minutes rather than 5, but quite reasonable certainly, and I also had the problem of prior-.+ong detection in mind, which it seems you've seen to. Well done!

Okay, 10 (Outside) minutes past newpix it is, from now on.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

What I see from TimeFrames 778 to 779 is Megan first looking out to see sea semencoffeecancerbabiesonice, then looking back at the nearest portion of the castle. I propose that based upon what she concludes in those two frames, she then begins some new tactic of taking sand snowcoffeeblackmatterpixels from the left of the castle and transferring it to the right side (frames 780 and 781).

Spoiler:
She looks out.

She looks back.

She rushes to the other side to gather sand stuff, then ...

... transfers it back to the first side (no, she is not peeing!) .

I believe this is another decision-moment similar to my hypothesis for TimeFrames 664 to 669.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

Aaaaaaand .... here are three hats (got tired of Waiting to post until the individuals were online)

cmyk - Please accept this hat as a token of my esteem. I think it makes you look dashing. AND it has a built-in snack!
jjjdavidson - Yes, it is a hat. It is!! A hat made of hair. Looks good on the clerk, I think.
manvandmaan - A Croissant-And-Flower Hat for you.
-------------------------------------------------

(sorry for the double-post)
Attachments
cmyk-hat-s.jpg
cmyk-hat-s.jpg (5.04 KiB) Viewed 11347 times
jjjdavidson-hat2-2.jpg
jjjdavidson-hat2-2.jpg (4.75 KiB) Viewed 11347 times
manvandmaan-hat-2.jpg
manvandmaan-hat-2.jpg (6.71 KiB) Viewed 11347 times

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

The sea level. Still rising a bit, and the tower is still eroding, but it's happening extremely slowly. In the past 48 newpix:
Time_sea_level_rise_20130421_1800.png
Time_sea_level_rise_20130421_1800.png (2.58 KiB) Viewed 11327 times

It might become a bit more interesting soon, as the sea level is now about as high as the ground level under the bridge. Will the water start flowing under it? Will that destabilize the bridge? Tune in next newpix to find out!

In the same 48 newpix, this is all that's changed on Meganstein. And she's still not done, it seems. :?
time_castle_20130421_1800.png
time_castle_20130421_1800.png (5.23 KiB) Viewed 11327 times
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

HAL's signature made me think of this, but it's the only rational explanation.

Apes discovered tools, humans went to Jupiter, and Megan & Cueball built sandcastles.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:HAL's signature made me think of this, but it's the only rational explanation.

[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6438249/monolith.png[img]

Apes discovered tools, humans went to Jupiter, and Megan & Cueball built sandcastles.

So instead of throwing a bone club into the air, they went for a swim?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”