1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

spamjam

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby spamjam » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:Image

I see more (tiny tiny) FLAGS!!! :D
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

That's certainly one intricate castle she's built. It can't possibly be sand ... just the vibrations from walking about up there would cause anything I made to topple..
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:Aaaaaaand .... here are three hats (got tired of Waiting to post until the individuals were online)

cmyk - Please accept this hat as a token of my esteem. I think it makes you look dashing. AND it has a built-in snack!
jjjdavidson - Yes, it is a hat. It is!! A hat made of hair. Looks good on the clerk, I think.
manvandmaan - A Croissant-And-Flower Hat for you.
-------------------------------------------------

(sorry for the double-post)

Could you give my friend Catherine a hat?

Also: It almost looks like Megan is holding a gun, and she's going to shoot the ground.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

tman2nd wrote:Could you give my friend Catherine a hat?

You are in the queue.

Also, I think the curve of the little teapot spout looks very similar to curve of the eroding tower by the seamencoffeeliquidthing.

Lastly, I decided to finish the castle for them. no, it doesn't actually resemble anything, I've just been wanting to see how it looks to fill in all those bits.
Attachments
It's Done!.jpg

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

GNONG

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
tman2nd wrote:

Lastly, I decided to finish the castle for them. no, it doesn't actually resemble anything, I've just been wanting to see how it looks to fill in all those bits.

I thought about that. They'll get out chicken wire and pack it with sand but this is what Cueball and Megan look like if they stand in front of sand.

It's Done!.jpg
It's Done!.jpg (8.44 KiB) Viewed 11227 times

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

Wohoo, 101010 42 posts!!
Woh... ...wait, what? 42nd post just to celebrate my 42d post? Makes no sense...

[edit] To make this a little more meaningful, I use this opportunity to ask for a hat? Please?
Last edited by Jafloi on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

Back home and ten new pages to read. I'm feeling slightly Blitzy.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:To elongate the posting here on a slow Timeframe(?) I shall rant [as a loon] as such:
Megan is getting slower. Cueball is gone too long. What is he having an affair? Do they only work together after they both have their affairs and start to feel guilty? Do they have children? Why doesn't somebody think of the children? They really need a dog in the scene. It could run around, bounce into castle walls, and even piss on things. Would dog/stick-figure piss also be made of semencancerbabies? Oh, is that where it comes from?! Semen comes out of the male, babies comes out of the female, cancer out of them both. Is cancer the product of their combined efforts? Is it the product of their lack of combined effort? They should work together more. If they did, they would be done already. I'm not trying to be impatient, but FUCKING GET SOMEWHERE WITH THIS ALREADY. *ahem* So, people were wondering how the poles kept the stuff above up, so they went with ant-farm theory (my theory btw, sorta), but the poles could just go sideways. Ant-farms ain't stopping that shit! Okay, seriously, WTF is up with the right-most tower thingie with flag not collapsing? Will it only collapse if "Lord Randall" findeth it pleasingeth???? GRRRR! Now onto the forum itself. You're all cool and I like yas. But are we not obviously obsessed? No, please, I mean not to discourage the madness. Just, like, is that just, like, a geek thing? Geek/dork/dweeb...what are those terms? You awesomites can find me that break down, I'm sure. (In venn/line/graph/etc form, even.) Hmm, who here is really OCD? I used to have it. OR I have it??????????? lol. But it is fun. It's kinda like we're having sex. Working real hard, for real long, for our fun. Then you're tired but it felt worth it. And then you fucking coma! I'm gonna coma so hard!!! *COMA'd*

CoLoRs!

This is just how I like to break up my long, odd working hours when I'm pulling these kinds of days/nights. By weriding out in internet forums. Typically it's nothing this OCD/ADD in appearance, but due to the nature of this oddly intriguing, eternally unfolding *thing* on xkcd, my nerd levels are climbing off the charts — perhaps to toxic levels.

I wanted my rant to be a block, but I know how that's hard to read, so I colorfied it so the natural divisions would be more obvious to the reader and not discourage.

And I hope the "OCD/ADD in appearance" is a "congrats on a job well done" as I did intend to sound a bit like a loon. 8-)

tman2nd wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:And there we see the first person driven insane by Time.

Only the first?

Haha! Not the first indeed. And, um, not insane. :D

Montov wrote:
descor wrote:Infinite monkeys, infinite TimeFrames - yadda, yadda

Or as the greatest dad ever said: Bla bla bla, yackity smackity.

Who is this dad, please?

Eliram wrote:You asked for it...
Spoiler:

Awesome *saved*, thank you!

Edit: To fix BBCode.
Last edited by azule on Sat May 04, 2013 1:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

I'm back from battling the Outside!

Although, alas, tomorrow1 begins a whole NEW type of Outsider-Intrusion, where I'll be unable to do my normal weekday2 work3 routine of supplementing4 my work-time activities by occasionally5 visiting this needle-pulled-thingy! Some horrendously heathenish Outsider activity known as "Jury-Duty" will pull me away, and will likely involve much waiting, but NOT the proper and correct type of Waiting for It. GAH!!!

It's disheartening to see that forum activity has diminished, but I'm glad to see that a dedicated6 core of Timewaiters remain faithful to the edict to Wait for It.

I salute you, fellow fanatics!

1 Outsider Time-reckoning phrase that evidently means 24 Newpixs from now, +/- 24 NewPixs. It all depends on when the Outsider uses the term. It's very confusing...
2 Outsiders have a bizarre habit of breaking up intervals of Time into things called "days," "weeks," "months," and other odd conventions which only add confusion. Evidently a "weekday" is a period of Time equal to 24 Newpixs, but is somehow different than a "day" on a weekend, which also has 24 Newpixs, and denotes a period of Time (a "week") which somehow "ends", but yet does not, because it loops into another one, which is a different one, but yet the same. As I said, it's all rather confusing...
3 An Outsider term for a period of some sort of forced labor for an oppressor known as "The Man", who may or may not be a man.
4 i.e., read: "replacing"
5 i.e,, read: "constantly and obsessively"
6 i.e., read: "seriously deranged and quite, quite mad"
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Tsjong!

[Edit:] Sloooowly changing...
....and I am of to coma.

htom

Postby htom » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

Eliram wrote:You asked for it...
Spoiler:

Wife, looking over my shoulder, laughing, demands that I send this to her, and says to say "Thank you!"
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

azule wrote:fun with BBcode

Cut out the parts of a post you aren't responding to, and your posts will look normal. Just a tip (it's happened before, including to me).
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Jafloi wrote:Tsjong!
Spoiler:

....and I am of to coma.

Cueball is off doing Randall-knows-what, and Megan just keep building and building. The tide keeps rising (albeit MUCH more slowly), and the original uber-eroded castle tower keeps hanging on, defying logic and pixel-gravity...

So of course, this is the Time for another song reference, just to add more work for our mixoligist! I'm picturing Megan singing to herself:

"The tide is high but I'm holding on
I'm gonna be your number one
I'm not the kind of girl who gives up just like that
Oh, no"
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

Rosewinsall wrote:dead?

What? Your parrot? No -- it's merely sleeping. There! I saw it move!

EDIT: Whoops! Another 42 'mea-culpas' for the double post... I was too excited about the opportunity to add a Monty Python reference. I don't believe anyone's ever done that before in this thread!!!

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

....and I am off to coma.

FTFY
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

Jafloi wrote:Wohoo, 101010 42 posts!!
Woh... ...wait, what? 42nd post just to celebrate my 42d post? Makes no sense...

[edit] To make this a little more meaningful, I use this opportunity to ask for a hat? Please?

Added to the cueue (tehe).

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:I'm back from battling the Outside!

Although, alas, tomorrow1 begins a whole NEW type of Outsider-Intrusion, where I'll be unable to do my normal weekday2 work3 routine of supplementing4 my work-time activities by occasionally5 visiting this needle-pulled-thingy! Some horrendously heathenish Outsider activity known as "Jury-Duty" will pull me away, and will likely involve much waiting, but NOT the proper and correct type of Waiting for It. GAH!!!

It's disheartening to see that forum activity has diminished, but I'm glad to see that a dedicated6 core of Timewaiters remain faithful to the edict to Wait for It.

I salute you, fellow fanatics!

1 Outsider Time-reckoning phrase that evidently means 24 Newpixs from now, +/- 24 NewPixs. It all depends on when the Outsider uses the term. It's very confusing...
2 Outsiders have a bizarre habit of breaking up intervals of Time into things called "days," "weeks," "months," and other odd conventions which only add confusion. Evidently a "weekday" is a period of Time equal to 24 Newpixs, but is somehow different than a "day" on a weekend, which also has 24 Newpixs, and denotes a period of Time (a "week") which somehow "ends", but yet does not, because it loops into another one, which is a different one, but yet the same. As I said, it's all rather confusing...
3 An Outsider term for a period of some sort of forced labor for an oppressor known as "The Man", who may or may not be a man.
4 i.e., read: "replacing"
5 i.e,, read: "constantly and obsessively"
6 i.e., read: "seriously deranged and quite, quite mad"

Alas, many outsiders perform the waiting sacrament but without full understanding of the symbolism behind the action. They aimlessly spend their time, not realizing that what they are doing is a halfhearted mimicry of True Waiting. But we know, and can contemplate the OTC whilst we wait, even if said waiting is Outside.

TachikomaD

Postby TachikomaD » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

Spoiler:

....and I am of to coma.

Now, of all Time, Megan decides to become an adherant of bilateral symmetry!?!

patzer

Postby patzer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

I changed the theme of the wiki, do you like it?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

patzer wrote:I changed the theme of the wiki, do you like it?

I do! Now if we could just get rid of those loathsome ads...

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

A bit too repetitive, I think. I mean, not that looking at the OTC doesn't fill me with joy, but repeated over and over like that it starts to lose a bit of its sanctity. I'd maybe go with a plain white background, or light blue like the OTC's host page

patzer

Postby patzer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

I have adblock, I didn't even know there were ads... :|

So that's one for, one against.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

vvn

Postby vvn » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
htom wrote:Is that the Millennium Falcon, standing on her tail?

Hmmm... personally, I'm not seeing it.

Votes for the t-shirt?

patzer

Postby patzer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:16 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:...lose a bit of its sanctity.

I misread that as "sanity" at first, and thought, isn't that usual? :D
Good point.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

patzer wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

I'd turned it off on my browser (Chrome) -- it was filtering out some content on a few web sites I visit, and I've gotten OCD-ish that it might cause me to miss something important. :) But you're right. MUCH better with the ADblock on.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

mscha wrote:<snip/>
I have now also looked at aubronwood. Its frame 682 corresponds to my extra frame, and it doesn't have geekwagon's frame 682.
For the other three frames, aubronwood and geekwagon are in agreement, so neither has my apocryphal frames. (They wouldn't, since they link directly to imgs dot xkcd dot com.)

ExplainXKCD.com has them as 682b or whatever number it was. I wish we did have a univeral ordinal. I don't think the "b" cuts it.

HAL9000 wrote:
azule wrote:fun with BBcode

Cut out the parts of a post you aren't responding to, and your posts will look normal. Just a tip (it's happened before, including to me).

I didn't notice a problem. But I am sorry if everyone thought I threw a rainbow up on them. Maybe I should have gone with subtle diffs. hah. But no, I have had more fun with BBcode, so :P.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

Hey guys we should really start looking at the PNG's create and modify times again. Has been looked at a couple of times in the past. The orginal batch of images all had mostly the same dates around 25th of march or something. but now the current ones are dated 2013-04-13 07:55:05!!! I haven't worked out the best way to extract the date info out. You can view the png file in any text editor and the create and modify dates are in clear text right at the end which is easy enough to copy out but I don't feel like doing that for 750 images manually... Note that when you download the file to your computer your filesystem will create a new file create and modify time as of now but PNG's have this built in timestamp which will never change which is great. Another option is to try to do a http request to the server to get the date modified time of the file on the web server and check that as well. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2416872/how-do-you-obtain-modified-date-from-a-remote-file-java <-- a code example to do this. Just would be interesting to look at what Randall has been up to and when he has actually been making the images.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote: <snip>
Just would be interesting to look at what Randall has been up to and when he has actually been making the images.

I believe he's making them just in Time... :wink:

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Latent22 wrote: <snip>
Just would be interesting to look at what Randall has been up to and when he has actually been making the images.

I believe he's making them just in Time... :wink:

Your sig takes me back to college ... too many guitars playing Grateful Dead while we all smok- studied.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
patzer wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

I'd turned it off on my browser (Chrome) -- it was filtering out some content on a few web sites I visit, and I've gotten OCD-ish that it might cause me to miss something important. :) But you're right. MUCH better with the ADblock on.

I switched it to the Monobook theme and I don't see any ads at all.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

PYONGYANG!!!

ETA: yes! been dying to work in that NK reference since the newpixbot was sniping the humans. OCD Itch: Scratched... ahhhh...
Last edited by cmyk on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:PYONGYANG!!!

Yayyy!!! You're wearing my hat!!!!! I do think I should have cropped it a bit more on the left side. sorry bout that.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

*dons sumptuous hat*

I'm... gorgeous!

(thanks, buffygirl!)

ChronosDragon wrote:HAL's signature made me think of this, but it's the only rational explanation.

Apes discovered tools, humans went to Jupiter, and Megan & Cueball built sandcastles.

I approve of this message.

vvn wrote:
cmyk wrote:
htom wrote:Is that the Millennium Falcon, standing on her tail?

Hmmm... personally, I'm not seeing it.

Votes for the t-shirt?

That's all I need is another Star Wars t-shirt, let alone another Millennium Falcon one. And that's not sarcasm. Seriously, I need more.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
cmyk wrote:PYONGYANG!!!

Yayyy!!! You're wearing my hat!!!!! I do think I should have cropped it a bit more on the left side. sorry bout that.

S'all good, nothing wrong with a bit of intentional¢ negative space.

¢At least that's what I tell my clients when they question any design decisions, either by overlooking or through laziness on my part: "It is, of course, intentional, as it clearly improves the balance of the design. You... didn't recognize this? [looks at them askance] Huh, iiinteresting..."

vvn

Postby vvn » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Okay, 10 (Outside) minutes past newpix it is, from now on.

I agree that the contest to post the next TimeFrame is fun, and am glad that the bot is now delayed. However I still think mscha is due kudos for creating it, and more for changing it to check if anyone else had done so before posting. (After all there were two newpix posts with nothing between, so we might have missed it. Reminds me of the "steam engine in the Indy 500" story. Obviously faster, so we make it against the rules. Because we are all here for fun.

So, from me, a hat tip for good coding, and another for good sportsmanship.
Last edited by vvn on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:28 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

vvn wrote:
mscha wrote:Okay, 10 (Outside) minutes past newpix it is, from now on.

I agree that the contest to post the next TimeFrame is fun, and am glad that the bot is now delayed. However I still think mscha is due kudos for creating it, and more for changing it to check if anyone else had done so before posting. (After all there were two newpix posts with nothing between, so we might have missed it. Reminds me of the "steam engine in the Indy 500" story. Obviously faster, so we make it against the rules. Because we are all here for fun.

So, from me, a hat tip for good coding, and another for good sportsmanship.

Thus!

or,

+.99999999999999...

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

Another interesting thing about the DateTime stamps in the OTC PNG files is that it has the TimeZone info as well:

%tEXtdate:create 2013-04-13T07:55:05-04:00 %tEXtdate:modify 2013-04-13T07:55:05-04:00

We can see that the timezone is -04:00 which means 4 hours behind UTC time which would be PST which sounds about right.

Another interesting fact is that PNG files do not need a timestamp. PNG's i've Created by Photoshop do not seem to have these clear text DateTime's in them. So whatever he is using is adding them on. Also many of the files in a sequence all have identical times (with a few exceptions). This means they either have fake time stamps or were all last proccessed as a very fast batch process. The dates go down to 1 second of accuracy so if we look hard enough we may find them jump one second and this would tell us it is a batch process and the timestamps are real world and not made up.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”