1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jafloi

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Jafloi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:xkcd_characters++

like++

Latent22 wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:It's a little French girl?

I name her LaPetite!

Think that en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xkcd needs updating, but i'm not to sure that I am the right to do it..
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

Jafloi wrote:
RobIrr wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:xkcd_characters++

like++

Latent22 wrote:

I name her LaPetite!

Think that en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xkcd needs updating, but i'm not to sure that I am the right to do it..

Don't be hasty. Maybe la Petite introduces herself in a few newpix.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
Jafloi wrote:
Latent22 wrote:

I name her LaPetite!

Don't be hasty. Maybe la Petite introduces herself in a few newpix.

It has been suggested before that River and Sea may be character names as well. Maybe this is LaPetite River, because, as we all know,
The River is Small!
I wait for it, therefore I am.

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

Has the sea stopped rising?
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

FLONG:

LaPetite/Baret Girl leaves again.
Last edited by Flotter on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:02 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

foilman

Postby foilman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

Gone again?! I like it.

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

Klonkg

Spoiler:

...and she is gone??
[Edit:] ninjaed

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

La Petite, we hardly knew ye.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

"We're gonna need a bigger trébuchet." (La Petite leaves).

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

Going to get a gang of her hooligan friends, clearly.

Edit:
higgs-boson wrote:"We're gonna need a bigger trébuchet."
Much better.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

Jafloi wrote:Has the sea stopped rising?

No, although it's not rising very fast (check the image difference checkbox on http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/ to see. The level doesn't seem to rise, I guess it's only the top pixels getting darker shades).
I wait for it, therefore I am.

kryton

Postby kryton » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

Perhaps Petite doesn't like the name we gave her and that's why she is leaving?
1298 and counting

Drakeesh

Postby Drakeesh » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

I can see her returning with a cute little french Bulldozer.

Or a pack of Raptors (with fricken trebuchets attached to their heads!)
Sir Aheem, Defender of the Former Right Flag, Keeper of the Shards of the Shattered Right Tower

42isall

Postby 42isall » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Anyone else feel like part of the audience from the Truman Show? We're just kind of watching these characters evolve and have made up an entire community around them, while they just go about their day unaware.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

Magdiragdag wrote:check the image difference checkbox on http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/

Wow, that is very good... I think this and the Aubron Book are some mighty tools to Wait... (Together with the One True Comic of course)
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

I was catching up after coma, and saw a reference to an old frame being changed. . .and I had an interesting epiphany.

We should keep a close eye on all of the OldPix. Lord Randall has an excellent opportunity to implement time travel here. He has the ability to change Oldpix at His discretion and leisure. What's to prevent Cueball (or anyone else, for that matter) from going back in time and changing history as we know it?

Wouldn't it be interesting if, for example, in the next time interval, while we're all paying attention to what this new arrival La Petite is doing in the present, Cueball suddenly reappeared back in frame 675 and caught Megan when she fell out of the bucket? And how would this affect Cueball-675, sitting on the upper level of the sandcastle, watching his future self appear out of nowhere and do this?

Why, this could completely rip the fabric of time. And what would it do to our beloved Blitzgirl as she's traveling rapidly through time when she hits one of these tears at full speed? She may never have the chance to encounter the original timestream as she's diverted down the new timestream as it's rewritten dynamically. . .
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

Magdiragdag wrote:
Jafloi wrote:Has the sea stopped rising?

No, although it's not rising very fast (check the image difference checkbox on http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/ to see. The level doesn't seem to rise, I guess it's only the top pixels getting darker shades).

... which is the anti-alias way of rising the sea level. ;)

Note that the sea level is now definitely higher than the ground under the bridge:
Time_sea_level_20130422_1300.png
Time_sea_level_20130422_1300.png (2.25 KiB) Viewed 10964 times

Not sure what this means for the laws of physics and dimensionality of the OTC...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:I was catching up after coma, and saw a reference to an old frame being changed. . .and I had an interesting epiphany.

We should keep a close eye on all of the OldPix. Lord Randall has an excellent opportunity to implement time travel here. He has the ability to change Oldpix at His discretion and leisure. What's to prevent Cueball (or anyone else, for that matter) from going back in time and changing history as we know it?

Wouldn't it be interesting if, for example, in the next time interval, while we're all paying attention to what this new arrival La Petite is doing in the present, Cueball suddenly reappeared back in frame 675 and caught Megan when she fell out of the bucket? And how would this affect Cueball-675, sitting on the upper level of the sandcastle, watching his future self appear out of nowhere and do this?

Why, this could completely rip the fabric of time. And what would it do to our beloved Blitzgirl as she's traveling rapidly through time when she hits one of these tears at full speed? She may never have the chance to encounter the original timestream as she's diverted down the new timestream as it's rewritten dynamically. . .

This is a VERY important point made.

At least the .gif-projects would most probably have a local copy of all frames.
Let's make that a fact - who's filing the time frames on local hard disks or web mirrors?

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:What's to prevent Cueball (or anyone else, for that matter) from going back in time and changing history as we know it?

Maybe the fact that he doesn't know how anything works?

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
Spoiler:
Ebonite wrote:I was catching up after coma, and saw a reference to an old frame being changed. . .and I had an interesting epiphany.

Let's make that a fact - who's filing the time frames on local hard disks or web mirrors?

Me.
mscha wrote:I made my collection of frames, downloaded as they appear, temporarily available here. Feel free to use those for (further) comparison.
Last edited by mscha on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote: An interesting, yet dangerous idea! Go back a few posts to read it, if you have forgotten it already!

An interesting, yet dangerous idea! I shall devote some sig-space to warn BlitzGirl for those tears!

Drakeesh wrote:Or a pack of Raptors (with fricken trebuchets attached to their heads!)

This.
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

Slides

Postby Slides » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

I see LaPetite as a token villager come to see if Sleeping Beauty (in her castle) has woken up yet. Perhaps Prince Cueball has been sent for?

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Newpix!

EDIT: Why isn't there a ninja smiley??? :roll:
Last edited by XonqNopp on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Kim Sul-song!
Spoiler:

[Edit:]Ninja'd

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:The appearance of la Petite, for me, is an indication of the level of maturity that this thread has reached. If she had appeared at the beginning of day five instead of week five, the forum posts would have been all, "OMGGWTFBBQ!!1! It's the End of Time! Randall's pregnant! Cue the raptors/tsunamis/BHG!"

But after four solid weeks of (apparently) only two characters, a third character walks into frame and everybody's going, "Hey, cool. A kid. Let's give her a name."

It can't be that we're all just that jaded--we'd have quit coming here if we were. So I can only view our calm acceptance of la Petite as a sign of growing maturity. (Naturally, this post will provoke a variety of hysterical outbursts. Sigh...)

I must wonder, however, about the sheer number of naps that Megan is taking. When my wife was pregnant, her MTBN dropped noticeably.

Wait, are you trying to say it isn't all those things? I thought it was given that it was all of those things, and therefore it wasn't worth reiterating.
Oh, and I finished my onerous task. After many timeframes of waiting, watching and listening, I've come to a conclusion. Anyone encoding their text will henceforth and retroactively be dipped chocolate Syrup, and covered in shredded Licorice. THUS SPEAKS THE INQUISITION.

The completion of my vow is of such import that I must commemorate it in some fashion....Hmmm... Could buffygirl possibly grant me a hat befitting The Grand Lord High Inquisitor, Please?(I'd prefer it be jaunty, or at leas fit between the ears, but if necessary, I can redraw my avatar to fit....)
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

As for the images with the create date after the time they were posted, didn't The Creator change the 1190 page at some point to add javascript to make the image auto-update? Perhaps he regenerated some of the images to throw them somewhere for the new means of serving them?

Celebrating the End of Time by visiting a beach sounds swell. But shouldn't it be a coffee beach next to a semen ocean? Or perhaps a more likely choice of the available options... though that may be the most likely choice, a beach of babies or cancer sounds... worse

I wonder if The Creator is reacting to us yet. May she really is coma'ing. Maybe the Petite represents all the newbies like me coming to this board and *ehem* prediction *ehem* contributing to the construction of this needle-pulled thing. (in case it wasn't clear my predication is that Petite will come back and contribute to the sand castle. Optimism, yay! Also I feel like the 2 pix that barely changed showed her looking up and down at the castle)

Yeah, we've definitely reach an age of scientific reasoning. Heresy mentions are merely polite at this point and... something else... wait I need to go back and find what I was thinking about and edit it here. Geez I don't know how you guys keep running quotes of all the things you respond to. Particularly BlitzGirl, she rocks. (ok, couldn't find specifically what prompted this response, besides pretty much everything, so meh, meh I say, sir)

I don't know that the water is a tide. Somehow the way they were speaking earlier suggested to me that the water was going to be rising permanently...

I'm pretty sure it's 2D or at least the 3rd D is discrete and finite instead of continuous or infinite. Note the dam/dyke thingy earlier was keeping the water at bay. However, they also seem to be able to walk behind the castles.

Cueball may not know how anything works, but that didn't stop him from building a bad-ass sandcastle and a scaffolding, why should it stop him from time travel.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:[...]

Cueball may not know how anything works, but that didn't stop him from building a bad-ass sandcastle and a scaffolding, why should it stop him from time travel.

Because time travel is quite complex, we would have to track 700 pics instead of just 1.

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:52 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:fambly

Damn, I was so sure this was a typo...
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

SWO Crash

Postby SWO Crash » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:Celebrating the End of Time by visiting a beach sounds swell. But shouldn't it be a coffee beach next to a semen ocean? Or perhaps a more likely choice of the available options... though that may be the most likely choice, a beach of babies or cancer sounds... worse

San Diego? Fits for a se(a)men beach on a coffee ocean.
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.

Husband, Father, Sailor, Son.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:[...]

BTW... Just wanted to remind you... Remember this one: http://xkcd.com/37/? (But I do not want to know... Er... I mean, I want NOT to know what you were speaking about...) :mrgreen:

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

Got to say, my first reaction was 'rasta-girl!' But i suppose she could be french too...
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
Spoiler:

Me.
mscha wrote:I made my collection of frames, downloaded as they appear, temporarily available here. Feel free to use those for (further) comparison.

Really, you're the main one keeping track of the comic, mechanics-wise. After all you were the first person to start doing pixelchange comparisons. You're forgiven for the bot's initial haste (which was kind of an overreaction on the part of the rest of us anyways).
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

Bytes wrote:Got to say, my first reaction was 'rasta-girl!' But i suppose she could be french too...

Mine was actually "sailer-girl"

Funny how we all read so much into so little.
“have i gone mad?

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

guys! guys! Here's what JUST HAPPENED TO ME (in the Outside) and it's ALL YOUR FAULT. I never would have even noticed the "sent from outer space" on his/her email except you've got me trained to look at footnotes/sigs, and then, well, further silliness.
email exchange between anonymous delivery person and me:

We just need the apartment number please.
Sent from outer space.
(gives apt #) thank you! Whew, long delivery from outer space!!!
What can I say, I get around. ;-)
Sent from the left side of outer space
The left side, looking down from outer space? Or the left side, from looking up from earth? Just want to make sure I'm looking in the right, uh, correct direction.
Hmmm good question! Def from the outside of space looking down.
ooh, there you are! *waves*

Hats off (thank you, Buffygirl) to everyone for raising my consciousness and lowering my humor! or lowering my consciousness and raising my humor All this Waiting for it has done me good.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

Nothing happens.

(Yes, manually posted.)

Edit:
XonqNopp wrote:First tower is down!! :(

How did I manage to miss that? :oops:

Edit²: and here is the change compared to the previous frame:
Time_sea_level_rise_20130422_1500.png
Time_sea_level_rise_20130422_1500.png (3.72 KiB) Viewed 10696 times

Well, at least the flag isn't lost (yet)...
Last edited by mscha on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:05 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

First tower is down!! :(

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Nothing happens.

(Yes, manually posted.)

Manually posted, but too quickly to actually check the picture thoroughly :wink:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Image
Nothing happens.

(Yes, manually posted.)

Edit:
XonqNopp wrote:First tower is down!! :(

How did I manage to miss that? :oops:

You, sir, are either blind, or in danger of being attacked by the defender of the right tower.
“have i gone mad?

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

Death comes to us all.

Unless Ray Kurzweil was right.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
Spoiler:
guys! guys! Here's what JUST HAPPENED TO ME (in the Outside) and it's ALL YOUR FAULT. I never would have even noticed the "sent from outer space" on his/her email except you've got me trained to look at footnotes/sigs, and then, well, further silliness.
email exchange between anonymous delivery person and me:

We just need the apartment number please.
Sent from outer space.
(gives apt #) thank you! Whew, long delivery from outer space!!!
What can I say, I get around. ;-)
Sent from the left side of outer space
The left side, looking down from outer space? Or the left side, from looking up from earth? Just want to make sure I'm looking in the right, uh, correct direction.
Hmmm good question! Def from the outside of space looking down.
ooh, there you are! *waves*

Ha, some people have a good sense of humor...

fhorn wrote:Hats off (thank you, Buffygirl) to everyone for raising my consciousness and lowering my humor! or lowering my consciousness and raising my humor All this Waiting for it has done me good.

Why not raise both? :mrgreen:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”