1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

Quest progress: 342 out of 383 pages.
The Building of the Rooks. NP 666.

Signpost passed:
289 out of 341 pages

As the conversation continues between Megan and Cueball, the thread-dwellers of the past wonder if they are stupid, naïve, or just kids with extraordinary construction capabilities. In the One True Comic, true flooding has begun as Megan's nub is overcome by the sea of semencoffeecancerbabies. I have come across mentions of using trebuchets to hunt (seems awfully inefficent to me) and ducks flying vegetables, which I presume are the avians piloting produce I heard mention of long ago.

Other conversations relevant to my Questing:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
udscbt wrote:I missed a lot of posts (again) and I was wondering: what happened in the last 12 pages?

Much. And as Sir/Dame BlitzGirl has shown us, you must read it all.

Indeed!

silent_death wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
histrion wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
histrion wrote:How do you pronounce "Blitzgirl?"

Uhhh... Why, um, "Bah-Lits-Grryl," of course. Don't you? :oops:

Well, for me it's more like Bu-ri-tsu-ge-ru. But only because I'm listening to an old Vapors album.

Well now I feel silly. This whole time I was pronouncing it 'Jeff'.

Oh, so you´re not german and automatically translate it and say it in angry german ? For me its BLITZMÄDCHEN :x :x :x

Ooh, I like that. Blitzmädchen!

Asthanius wrote:
fhorn wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:...somewhere in the thread between my present and your present.....

PRESENTS?!!??!!! I didn't know there would be presents!
*happy dance*

Each of us has but one present to give: our presence.

Well, perhaps one day I will grace you all with both my presence AND presents!

Asthanius wrote:
udscbt wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:<snip>
Now Wait just a newpix! I didn't sign up for this!
This is all too much. I need to coma. Hopefully Pope Helper shows up somewhere in the thread between my present and your present, and we can forget this whole thing even came up.

After long meditation I declare that if when Too-Many-Titles BlitzGirl catch up with the thread she will be recognized as Living Blessed because the success of her Holy Quest is clearly a miracle.
If, when that happen, she will still be in full at least partial possession of her faculties, that will be considered a second miracle and she will be cannonized as Living Saint.

I feel that shooting a somebody out of a cannon may be detrimental to their health.

How about a trebuchet?

HAL9000 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 289 out of 341 pages.
The Scaffolding Continued. NP 521.

This is all too much. I need to coma. Hopefully Pope Helper shows up somewhere in the thread between my present and your present, and we can forget this whole thing even came up.

I don't know if Helper will come back, or will wish to retain their post (perhaps they have forsaken us, and use only the Book of Aubron). We shall elect a new Pope upon your arrival.
Until then, I, along with the others here in the present, Wait for It. And for you. Keep it up!

Thank you! I shall! Glad to hear that I won't be force-Poped, too.

Valarya wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Valarya wrote:<snip>
Blitzgirl.
Cardinal Tempus Viator of the Timewaiters
B.O.B.
First of the True Followers of Time's time
Most True Followerer
Sister in Waiting
First (and only) Knight of the Knights Temporal
Red Spiders Eyes
Ghost of PresentPix
Time Architect of Signposts
Reader
Omnilector of Time
Mome/Pope Nominee of the TimeWaiters
Living Blessed
Living Saint - to be granted based upon your Sanity when arriving to the Present

Lots of edits for format purposes...

I fear we may be thrusting too much upon our esteemed BlitzGirl, traveler of Time.

She has inspired all of us and demonstrated an amazing ability to Wait for it. She has given us her poetic talent and provided us with retro-clarity as to the Madness that was our own, just a few short NewPages ago.

I must rescind my earlier suggestion as to her Pope/Mome-ship. Of course, she would be welcome to take this duty if she wished, but if she wishes to be but a Troubadour of Time, I fully support it. She doesn't need for us to be rabid Popearatzzi if she chooses instead to hold a more humble position in our present Time of Waiting.

Let her compose great odes and sonnets of her epic quest! Let her regale us with her word-wizardry! Let her enjoy the rest of the present as she sees fit, without pressure from us to give us more. She has endured much, witnessed much, and survived a harrowing travel through Time.

That should be more than enough.

She alone is more than enough. She is only bestowed these titles as due respect of appreciation for her absolute steadfastness and, as you stated, word-wizadry through Time. They can be mostly honorary titles and should not, under any circumstances, create panic or a sense of pressure.

Eh, the titles are all right. Like the vest-of-many-pockets, I've gotten kind of used to wearing them. As long as I can still be a troubadour of time and all that. And somehow I'm missing a couple from that list... *adds*

Angelastic wrote:Does the Troubadour of Time play ocarina?

Of course!

More lovely sigcouragement:
Spoiler:
XonqNopp wrote:Go BlitzGirl!! You would will almost joined us in the present of Time!!

Actually, I cannot remember why I am here... Do I wait for the One True Comic Newpix? Or to see if there will be a Time singularity when (if?) BlitzGirl merges with us... But anyway, I wait for It!!!

Caswallon wrote:Keep going Blitzgirl! You'll make it!

RobIrr wrote:Blitzgirl ... we miss you!

I miss you all too, even though I haven't even met you properly yet! Here's another song for you:
Spoiler:
Haven't Met You Yet
(to the tune of the song by the same title, from Michael Bublé)

I'm not surprised I'm stuck in the past
I'm turning newpages so quickly
I stopped keeping track

I talk myself up, say you're nearly out
I get all worked up then I let myself down

I tried so very hard not to lose it
I came up with a million excuses
I thought I crossed the semencoffeebaconsea

Oh I hope someday that it'll all turn out
As Time ticks on by in the past I feel doubt
But I promised you all that the future's a place that I'd get
Though I haven't met you yet

I know I can Wait, I'll never give up
With the right timing I'll soon be unstuck
The pastposts behind me, the future is bright
I'll meet you all shortly some day or some night

And I know that it will be so amazing
To finally get those croissants I'm craving
Along with some coffee minus semenbaconsea

Somehow I know that it'll all turn out
As Time ticks on by in the past I feel doubt

They say Time Waits on no one man
But maybe a girl can fight it
Like me who's knighted, I've been invited

*Ocarina Interlude*

And I know that it will be so amazing
To finally get those cookies I'm craving
Along with some coffee minus cancerbabiessea

And someday I hope it'll all turn out
And I'll work to banish my doubt
Promised you once, Now is a place that I'd get
That I'd get, that I'd get, that I'd get!

Oh I know it'll all turn out
As Time ticked by in the past I felt doubt

Oh I promise you all
Now is a place that I'll get

See you someday! My Quest continues!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

silent_death

Postby silent_death » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

To get back to something which was way too long ago (like 10-20 pages) - I finally finished the diagram I wanted to do, it shows the posts per Page for the Top20 Posters (up until page 360). The huge blue Chunk are all the others.
It does not look as nice as I hoped (maybe I should take the Top30 or Top40, at least that would make it more colorful) and it basically is a giant mess - wanted to share it anyway (sry for the huge picture)

Spoiler:
Click for full Image.
- former Expecto Space Bishop Temporas of the Church of Eastern unorthodox Timewaiters

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:First tower is down!! :(

Sure took it long enough.
It's interesting how we haven't talked about the religion for rather a few newpages.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Nothing happens.

(Yes, manually posted.)

Edit:

How did I manage to miss that? :oops:

You, sir, are either blind, or in danger of being attacked by the defender of the right tower.

Or by raptors...
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

simlei

Postby simlei » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

Wow, that comic has grown BIG since last time I've checked.
Please, please tell me someone recorded this, and (*crossfingers*) is making or has already made an animated graphic/etc out of it?

links would be appreciated =)

Just awesome =)

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

ok, that is way more important than
fhorn wrote:guys! guys! Here's what JUST HAPPENED TO ME (in the Outside)
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

I wrote ...
RobIrr wrote:Quite ... I don't even get chance to finish building before my own little one destroys them again... The trouble is, I'd feel embarrassed playing on a beach engineering sand structures without them around as an excuse to do so.
so I thought I would try an experiment.
castle.jpg
Sandcastle
It lasted about three seconds, not including the time holding her back while I took a photo.

(This was in the sandpit in the front garden, not the beach, otherwise I'd have tried for something more intricate...)
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 342 out of 383 pages.
The Building of the Rooks. NP 666.

She approaches. Our post rate slowing down a lot has probably helped.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

I finally got a decent coma in, and I missed the appearance of a third character.

LaPatite, huh?

At least it explains their usage of siege engines of French design.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
mscha wrote:Nothing happens.

(Yes, manually posted.)

Manually posted, but too quickly to actually check the picture thoroughly :wink:

I did check: Megan still sleeping, La Petite still gone. But I guess I was so used to the pixelgravity-defying tower that I didn't bother to look at that corner of the frame. :oops:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

I apologize for my lengthy absence, but I have been thinking. I have been thinking thoughts that have disturbed me, but I feel that I muust share these thoughts with the rest of you: What if Randall is seeing how much random crap he can fit into the comic before we stop? I feel that at first, he had an idea. This idea was completed fairly early on in Time, but when he saw how devoted we are to "figuring it out", he decided to just keep going. That's why the period between frames has elongated, and that's why not much is happening.

Basically, Randall is conducting an experiment on how much we trust him to have some meaningful comic.
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

aeglaeca

Postby aeglaeca » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

Nice work distracting us to look left, missing the whole collapse.
(long time lurker, since newpix 19 or so. Must say, liked the last 30 or so newpages, finally made me join. Having struggled to catch up over the last 50 pages makes blitzgirl's long path amazing.)

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:14 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:I apologize for my lengthy absence, but I have been thinking. I have been thinking thoughts that have disturbed me, but I feel that I muust share these thoughts with the rest of you: What if Randall is seeing how much random crap he can fit into the comic before we stop? I feel that at first, he had an idea. This idea was completed fairly early on in Time, but when he saw how devoted we are to "figuring it out", he decided to just keep going. That's why the period between frames has elongated, and that's why not much is happening.

Basically, Randall is conducting an experiment on how much we trust him to have some meaningful comic.

Yeah, and if you remember click and drag, who knows which fraction of the original drawing we are looking at...
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:I apologize for my lengthy absence, but I have been thinking. I have been thinking thoughts that have disturbed me, but I feel that I muust share these thoughts with the rest of you: What if Randall is seeing how much random crap he can fit into the comic before we stop? I feel that at first, he had an idea. This idea was completed fairly early on in Time, but when he saw how devoted we are to "figuring it out", he decided to just keep going. That's why the period between frames has elongated, and that's why not much is happening.

Except that it's more effort for him to continue the comic than for us to keep up with it. If that's what's happened then he's trapped himself more than us. This forum will continue whilst there are updates: there are so many of us in so many different timezones, that there's no real danger of this thread drying up while there's content to discuss.

Also - I don't know how many people left here expect the ENDING of this comic to have some great significance. I don't think there's much 'figuring out' to do. Almost all of the predictions have stopped. It seems to be about the journey rather than the destination.
Last edited by mojacardave on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

But isn't it meaningful enough already? At least, just as meaningful as time is in real life. We spend it sitting around, sleeping, sometimes building sandcastles, or tearing them down. People show up, and people leave. Sometimes they come back, sometimes we never notice them, or at least not right away1.
We give meaning to this comic the same way that everyone gives meaning to their Outside lives, doing with it whatever we choose. Making wild speculations, descending into silliness, building religions around it, analyzing how it works.

And, just like in real life, we've somewhat mellowed with age.

1Megan was asleep for the entirety of LaPetite's short visit. Maybe she won't show up again, maybe that was the first of many visits.

kryton

Postby kryton » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

IT's a two way experiment, our forum chatter is part of this performance art as much as the newpix are each timeframe.
1298 and counting

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

Nice to see you, BlitzGirl!
my favorite part:
BlitzGirl wrote: *Ocarina Interlude*

and in other news:
HAL9000 wrote: Our postrate slowing down a lot has probably helped.

Seems a little personal, no?

AHAHAHAH, I read it as *prostrate,* which I then decided was *prostate,* which did seem kinda personal.
hoo boy. Mebbe better take a break for a bit..... Any joke needs that much explanation is DOA.
Last edited by fhorn on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:Nice to see you, BlitzGirl!
my favorite part:

and in other news:

I should probably change that to two words.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:Basically, Randall is conducting an experiment on how much we trust him to have some meaningful comic.

This suggests that he is drawing along as we go, in other words he is not very far ahead of what we are actually seeing.

I don't think this is the case, but since I have no evidence, let's suppose you are right, and he is just making it up as he goes along with little or no plan.

If Randall wants to put in that effort and create a new pic every newpix, I'll be happy to put in a fraction of that effort and view them.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:Nice to see you, BlitzGirl!
my favorite part:

and in other news:

Post-rate, not prost-rate.
Although, I can see where the confusion comes. it's all the caffeinecancerbabysemenbaconurinemelange.
that stuff will swell both.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

SWO Crash

Postby SWO Crash » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:Almost all of the predictions have stopped. It seems to be about the journey rather than the destination.

This, more than anything, I think signals the existance of an age of enlightenment for the religion(s).
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.

Husband, Father, Sailor, Son.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

silent_death wrote:To get back to something which was way too long ago (like 10-20 pages) - I finally finished the diagram I wanted to do, it shows the posts per Page for the Top20 Posters (up until page 360). The huge blue Chunk are all the others.
It does not look as nice as I hoped (maybe I should take the Top30 or Top40, at least that would make it more colorful) and it basically is a giant mess - wanted to share it anyway (sry for the huge picture)

It's very nice BUT the problem with a top20 is that there are too many colours. Looks pretty, but VERY hard to get any meaningful data from. Adding more people won't fix that. You'd almost be better off dropping it to the top 10 posters, grouping the forum pages into 10s, and removing the others category. It wouldn't look as pretty, but it'd contain data that had more value.
Last edited by mojacardave on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:26 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:

I'm hoping he missed out a space, rather than misplaced the 'r', which is how I read it first time too... maybe HAL has a human side after all. (Or a human part anyway ... And after double checking what a prostate actually does, all I can think of now is Demon Seed... Thanks, HAL!)
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Drakeesh

Postby Drakeesh » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Nothing happens.

(Yes, manually posted.)

Edit:

How did I manage to miss that? :oops:

You, sir, are either blind, or in danger of being attacked by the defender of the right tower.

Or by raptors...

Or by Both!

However, the Right Flag still stands! (Blessed be the Flag) Based on the amount of punishment that the Right Tower was able to absorb from the Rising Sea (which is big) I believe that it will continue to stand and wave majestically for dozens of further Newpix. I will Wait for it.
Sir Aheem, Defender of the Former Right Flag, Keeper of the Shards of the Shattered Right Tower

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Post-rate, not prost-rate.
Although, I can see where the confusion comes. it's all the caffeinecancerbabysemenbaconurinemelange.
that stuff will swell both.

I did go back and edit my post, right after the *facepalm.*
But I appreciate the handy excuse! Thanks!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:
fhorn wrote:

I'm hoping he missed out a space, rather than misplaced the 'r', which is how I read it first time too... maybe HAL has a human side after all. (Or a human part anyway ... And after double checking what a prostate actually does, all I can think of now is Demon Seed... Thanks, HAL!)

ewwwww :?

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:
Asthanius wrote:Basically, Randall is conducting an experiment on how much we trust him to have some meaningful comic.

This suggests that he is drawing along as we go, in other words he is not very far ahead of what we are actually seeing.

I don't think this is the case, but since I have no evidence, let's suppose you are right, and he is just making it up as he goes along with little or no plan.

If Randall wants to put in that effort and create a new pic every newpix, I'll be happy to put in a fraction of that effort and view them.

Or, he has a plan, but the amount of change meted out to us is based on how much we post. We get boring, the OTC moves more slowly, ...
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:33 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:

Or, he has a plan, but the amount of change meted out to us is based on how much we post. We get boring, the OTC moves more slowly, ...

He must really not like our religions then...

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:BlitzGirl, do you by any chance have a baret?

Have to applaud the unintentional ambiguity there. Are you wondering about a hat (beret) or a hair-retention device (barette)?

:mrgreen:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
RobIrr wrote:
fhorn wrote:

okay, so now we know how to stop Hal if it ever kills the entire crew and attempts to take over the mission:Graft unpleasent body parts onto the computer core, until HAL starts singing Daisy in the rain.
“have i gone mad?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:40 pm UTC

Spoiler:
cellocgw wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:BlitzGirl, do you by any chance have a baret?

Have to applaud the unintentional ambiguity there. Are you wondering about a hat (beret) or a hair-retention device (barette)?

:mrgreen:

Interestingly enough, a quick image search for 'baret' turns up this:
But that's not the hat we're looking for.

Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
RobIrr wrote:
fhorn wrote:

okay, so now we know how to stop Hal if it ever kills the entire crew and attempts to take over the mission:Graft unpleasent body parts onto the computer core, until HAL starts singing Daisy in the rain.

I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

EDIT for spoilers.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:46 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

And just what are you going to do about it?
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

thirds

Postby thirds » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

I'd like to state for the record that BlitzGirl is a thread-summarization program I wrote for a class project, but has since gotten out of control. Sorry everyone.

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

I coma for a few newpix and the tower has fallen, another person appeared, the tower fell and about 5 newpages? :(
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

patzer wrote:... another person appeared.....

AND disappeared!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:

AND disappeared!

Obviously, she'll be back with BHG.
“have i gone mad?

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

patzer wrote:I coma for a few newpix and the tower has fallen, another person appeared, the tower fell and about 5 newpages? :(

fhorn wrote:

AND disappeared!

I assume that patzer meant to add that as the third thing, rather than commenting on the tower twice. Brainfart - happens to all of us.

silent_death

Postby silent_death » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
silent_death wrote:To get back to something which was way too long ago (like 10-20 pages) - I finally finished the diagram I wanted to do, it shows the posts per Page for the Top20 Posters (up until page 360). The huge blue Chunk are all the others.

It's very nice BUT the problem with a top20 is that there are too many colours. Looks pretty, but VERY hard to get any meaningful data from. Adding more people won't fix that. You'd almost be better off dropping it to the top 10 posters, grouping the forum pages into 10s, and removing the others category. It wouldn't look as pretty, but it'd contain data that had more value.

Yes, it is true that it is very hard to get data from it...the goal was on one hand to visualize the data nicely, and on the other also to have some kind of Overall picture of how the thread progresses - I was thinking to have it look kind of like the DNA from the thread. I think for that purpose it would be nice if I could somehow group the same posters together on the same height somehow to get bigger areas of the same colors when a poster was more active over a period of pages. - but I guess that would be very hard if not impossible to do with Excel (or also more advanced Data Visualization tools for that matter.
- former Expecto Space Bishop Temporas of the Church of Eastern unorthodox Timewaiters

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

The flag is now leaning rather precariously.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Image

The flag is now leaning rather precariously.

Hopefully it doesn't float away. It probably won't (the tide Is coming in, after all), but it might.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”