1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

fhorn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fhorn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
patzer wrote:I coma for a few newpix and the tower has fallen, another person appeared, the tower fell and about 5 newpages? :(

fhorn wrote:
patzer wrote:... another person appeared.....

AND disappeared!

I assume that patzer meant to add that as the third thing, rather than commenting on the tower twice. Brainfart - happens to all of us.

Speaking of which (brainfart) - I hadn't noticed the double comment on the tower.
Didn't I promise to quit a few Newpages back???
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
patzer wrote:I coma for a few newpix and the tower has fallen, another person appeared, the tower fell and about 5 newpages? :(

fhorn wrote:

AND disappeared!

I assume that patzer meant to add that as the third thing, rather than commenting on the tower twice. Brainfart - happens to all of us.

Speaking of which (brainfart) - I hadn't noticed the double comment on the tower.

Well, admitting the problem is only the first step.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Well, admitting the problem is only the first step.

One newpix at a time.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

kryton

Re: 1190: "Time":Rest Stop

Postby kryton » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

================================================
Welcome Time Traveler to the
Rest Stop Imperpetuate.
Here you will find a brief respite from your toils of journeying through the past as you endeavor to find the present, and eventually the future.

To your right you will find a cot, blanket, pillow, earplugs, and alarm clock should you decide to partake of a long regenerative coma or brief refreshing trance.

To your left you will find the refreshment stand where you may partake of chilled spring water, juice, soda, wine, and several other selection, as well as a snack bar of assorted fruits, chocolates, nuts, candies, sandwiches, energy bars, pastries, pasta dishes, or even a nicely cooked steak and potato if it meets your desire.

Ahead and through the frosted glass door you will find a dressing room with a clean change of clothes, and facilities for attending to your personal hygiene. Every effort has been made to ensure a full selection of products and materials for your convenience has been included. Your benefactors of the future have come to understand that trudging through 20newpage old and older coffeebaconsanddandrufsemenoilcancerbabytonerlatexpaintdarkmatterantfarmtwoeggsandgritsholdthespamplease can become unpleasantly sticky and emit a less than fresh pixel scent, so feel free to make use of the auto-scrub 21 personal hygiene and sanitation booth, which will remove the offal from every square inch as well as from each hidden nook, cranny, and groove.

This facility is equipped with a Genuine People Personality and will happily engage you in conversation in any topic of your choosing so that you may distract yourself from the quite detailed and thorough job the auto-scrub 21 is doing.

Enjoy your rest here and journey on when ready.

With our compliments
- The Management.

EDIT: We are happy to ensure you that the auto-scrub 21 is the latest and greatest from Hygiene-O-Mat INC and suffers none of the problems that plagued the auto-scrub 20.
Edit2: Hygiene-O-Mat Inc has asked us to inform you also that they are financially stable and all law suits that stemmed from the auto-scrub 19 have been settled.
edit-3: The management is delighted to announce that the personal hygiene space has been upgraded to a classic Victorian claw-foot shower/tub, sink, vanity, and toilet, for your relaxed and emotional convenience, and that safety harness, topical insulation salves and grounding wire installation that were mandated by the courts for anyone foolish enough to approach within arms length of an auto-scrub 21, will no longer be necessary nor any longer an impediment to your enjoyment of the Rest Stop Imperpetuate.
Edit 4: Rest Stop Imperpetuate is pleased to announce that the wine and pastry selection has been greatly enhanced, owing to the tidy sum collected in the lawsuit against Hygiene-O-Mat over its auto-scrub 21, and that the management hopes the greater variety and offerings enhance your stay even more.
Edit 5: The management begs the forgiveness of the traveler for almost missing the most important part, instructions to activate this facility. Once this rest stop has drifted at least 5 forum pages into the past, it will activate and then stand ready to unlock and open to the travelers in the past who speaking their traveler name into the speaker at the right of the large iron door with the warning sign indicating the 50,000v security system for defense against trespassers from the present attempting unauthorized access without the accumulated gestalts of sufficient journeying in the past.
edit 6: We here at Rest Stop Imperpetuate are delighted to present you, traveler of the past, with a brand new non-electrified security door. We hope that the lack of a potentially fatal jolt that protects you and your accommodations against trespassers in no way diminishes your joy and pleasure during your stay, and we assure you that the charred bodies piled to the left will be removed promptly, if they have not already been done so. We apologize that the selections of wines for your aperitif have been reduced as operation overhead expenses have unfortunately gone up to pay for the lawsuits. We wish to assure you that the interior has not been breached and remains hermetically sealed awaiting your arrival.
Edit 7: a special premium service has been added to our deluxe service, just for you, the savvy and daring traveler, who when traversing the galaxy or the threads of time, is never without the MOST important of all travel accessories, your towel. We have bent the very fabric of space itself to retroactively incorporate into the design of Rest Stop Inperpetuate the finest in automated self servicing towel reconditioning, where it will be cleaned, dried, fluffed, and, to avoid the embarrassment of seeming to be a newbie with a store fresh towel who hasn't been across the street much less across time itself, we can reintroduce any desired stains or travel associated fluids a towel should have absorbed, to your specification using the finest ingredients, chemicals, and technology available within a thousand new frames/new pix. The management would like to retroactively thank you in advance for your custom, and ask that favorable comments you will have already made be annotated on the little 3x5 card next to the coffee maker.
EDIT-8: the Management is delighted to announce that this incarnation of Rest Stop Imperpetuate has achieved the necessary separation of 5 forum pages and has activated the interquantum reactor that will provide it with enough power to guarantee your stay will be uninterrupted by any loss of function. We would like to direct your attention to the large steel door in the back corner with the warning labels and flashing lights and remind you that close proximity to interquantum reactors can be hazardous to the continued existence of time travelers of your species, and that a handy fill in the blank last will and testament and disposition of remains request can be found on a clipboard on the bulkhead of the reactor if you should desire to ignore the steel door, warning lights, tripple-cypher locks, and robotic security guard stationed behind the door.
================================================
Last edited by kryton on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:00 pm UTC, edited 15 times in total.
1298 and counting

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:Speaking of which (brainfart) - I hadn't noticed the double comment on the tower.

Speaking of which, I hadn't noticed it either.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
mojacardave wrote:

fhorn wrote:

AND disappeared!

Well, brainfarts can't be good for your health. adding methane to an already pretty cramped and delicately balanced bio-system would probably be bad.

I'm not a doctor, but I think you really should stop.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

sarysa

Postby sarysa » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:20 pm UTC

I wonder if it'll be a looping comic, with the theme being that with the passage of time, humans build vast, intricate empires, but in the end, nature ultimately reclaims what once was. But so long as we occupy the planet, the cycle will continue...

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

has anyone compared the height/size of LePetite to determine if she is smaller than Megan? (i.e. to determine if Megan is an Adult and LePetite is a child, or vice versa)
“have i gone mad?

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

My predication model now shows a BlitzGirl unity at around 475, though it's usual that it goes up for the post-coma period, she loses some progress toward 0 difference, so I'm not worried and you shouldn't be either. (My math)

Also, when I read her posts, it makes me feel like I'm still trapped in the past trying to catch up to.

Alsoso, she is a damn poet. Maybe I'll record some of her songs if I have time tomorrow night, tonight I must rehearse for a play, the out-time will not halt for the True Time.

Alsososo, we shall see the measure of our modernity by wither my last paragraph gets accusations of heresy... Does pointing out my heretical time-onology invalidate the study?

I think Randall probably does just modify existing images to make new ones, so most of the time it probably isn't that much work, and it's the thinking that's generally more intensive for the drawing, so once he has a plan I'm sure he can bang these out pretty quick.
Last edited by jovialbard on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:06 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:Let's make it four.

spamjam wrote:I post stuff and nobody responds to it. I guess I'm not on the same page as anyone else, so why write anything?

spamjam, you're acting a bit like your name: spamming. Please don't. You don't have to give in to peer pressure (to post an *ONG) but you don't have to overreact to it either. Per the response to what you (or anyone else, for that matter) post, it happens to all of us. You really can't take offense to what is a natural part of a forum. Just think of it like all the lurkers. Even us posters are lurkers. I read it all, and respond when I have a hopefully relevant comment. Otherwise, I just enjoy the scenery. 8-)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

Actually, on viewing the holy book of Aubron, I am confident that LePetite is a child, and Megan and Cueball are adults. EIther that, or M&C are Giants.
“have i gone mad?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

azule wrote:

spamjam wrote:I post stuff and nobody responds to it. I guess I'm not on the same page as anyone else, so why write anything?

spamjam, you're acting a bit like your name: spamming. Please don't. You don't have to give in to peer pressure (to post an *ONG) but you don't have to overreact to it either. Per the response to what you (or anyone else, for that matter) post, it happens to all of us. You really can't take offense to what is a natural part of a forum. Just think of it like all the lurkers. Even us posters are lurkers. I read it all, and respond when I have a hopefully relevant comment. Otherwise, I just enjoy the scenery. 8-)

I'm actually surprised that nobody got angry at the frequent accusations of heresy before the thread slowed down.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
azule wrote:

I'm actually surprised that nobody got angry at the frequent accusations of heresy before the thread slowed down.

HERESY!

or not. whatever, really.
“have i gone mad?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Actually, on viewing the holy book of Aubron, I am confident that LePetite is a child, and Megan and Cueball are adults. EIther that, or M&C are Giants.

Who knows. They Might Be

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

Hmm, I just realized this but I was previously reading the Qur'an, you know for social context and fun, but I kind of stopped doing that. Apparently I got caught up studying a different religion... but now that it's not a religious anymore and I'm still here, what does that mean?
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

Continued flag collapse:
Time_sea_level_rise_20130422_1500.png
Time_sea_level_rise_20130422_1500.png (3.72 KiB) Viewed 9974 times

Time_sea_level_rise_20130422_1600.png
Time_sea_level_rise_20130422_1600.png (3.74 KiB) Viewed 9974 times
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

I wonder how many newpix it will take for the bridge on the right to collapse.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:has anyone compared the height/size of LePetite to determine if she is smaller than Megan? (i.e. to determine if Megan is an Adult and LePetite is a child, or vice versa)

megan_vs_la_petite.png
megan_vs_la_petite.png (10.02 KiB) Viewed 9963 times
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:I wonder how many newpix it will take for the bridge on the right to collapse.

Well, I'm guessing we will never know. My assumption is that some other calamity may befall the castle before it properly collapses.

Also, caught up and back from Coma!
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:I wonder how many newpix it will take for the bridge on the right to collapse.

Probably quite a while - it has to carry away all of the sand that it just dislodged, as well as wear through a still sizable portion of the base of the left side. It took about 140 NP (the water spilled over the nub around frame 663, and the tower started to collapse in frame 803) for it to collapse the tower.
On the other hand there seems to have been some flux in the passage of time, with apparently little time passing between each NP while they've been working on the top castle (as evidenced by little change in the water level and little wearing of the end tower) and more time passing between pix since Megan finished and went to relax (as evidenced by more change in water level+wear on the tower).

If time continues at this current accelerated pace it could be as few as 15-20 NP, though I suspect more action and slowing of time and it will take as long as 100 NP.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Continued flag collapse:
Spoiler:

Time_sea_level_rise_20130422_1700.png
Time_sea_level_rise_20130422_1700.png (2.56 KiB) Viewed 9921 times
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

Spoiler:
SBN wrote:Image

Look who's waking up... I wonder if she notices the collapsed tower.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

htom

Postby htom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:has anyone compared the height/size of LePetite to determine if she is smaller than Megan? (i.e. to determine if Megan is an Adult and LePetite is a child, or vice versa)

mscha wrote:

megan_vs_la_petite.png

This could easily be my Mom (5'4") and my sister (5'11+"). I think we've seen LePetite before.

Cueball & Rob. http://xkcd.com/1089/ Cueball's on our left, Rob is on our right. Rob's head is not attached to his shoulders, Cueball's is.

Wakee wakee ... to collapse of tower, flag fallen.

Edit -- The cake is delicious. Thank you!
Last edited by htom on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

Quest progress: 346 out of 384 pages.
The Next Level. NP 683.

Signpost passed:
293 out of 346 pages
(In which I recapture the Whistle of Temporal Harmony.)

As construction begins on the Next Level of the Sandcastle, Megan has a severe bukkit mishap and obliterates the tiny trebuchet. Sad Times. The thread of Time has become vaguely confusing as well - since I could not be named Mome/Pope/Mope/Meme (lost in the past as I am), the thread-dwellers of the past have apparently elected to attempt a Pope-by-Page system, where having the first post of a newpage makes one Pope. Oddly, these posts for me appear a couple of positions behind where they should be - indicating a deletion of pastposts. Alas! How many posts have we now lost to Time? What conversations may I have missed? Or perhaps many, many newcomers have had their posts approved in the time it took me to trek this far? I suppose I shall never know.

Further sigcouragement:
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:BLITZGIRL! Can't wait to see you!!

Ditto!

CatHectic wrote:Blitzgirl: Tempo rubato, tempo di fulmineo!

Meraviglioso!

Mycroft_147 wrote:(Leaves behind another piece of candy for Blitzgirl.)

CANDY! Thank goodness, I've been starving back here.

manvandmaan wrote:BlitzGirl, do you by any chance have a baret?
and also: I'll make sure those Croissants are oven-fresh when you arrive!

Did you mean: beret

Posts from the past, plus my responses:
Spoiler:
Purplepants77 wrote:Good luck and God speed fellow Waiters. Especially you, Blitzgirl, your devotion has not gone unnoticed during my (previously) nameless Waiting.

My thanks to you!

lmjb1964 wrote:I applaud Blitzgirl for her tireless effort in clearly delineating each Period of Time. I would like to propose that Time can also be divided into two Eras--The Castle Era and the Scaffolding Era. <snip>

Thanks! The delineation between these two Eras makes sense to me, as the history of Time stands now.

azule wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I'm vaguely disappointed that nobody attempted this with the word Time. I would, but I haven't any to waste.

*ahem* (I don't know if it is even possible.)

The time Time time times time timed Time.

[That's the best I can do for now without going insane. And, it's probably wrong/slightly-off. :x ]

Bravo, bravo! :D

Tass wrote:A plot of the great Blitzgirls epic quest.

She seems to have lost some speed compared to the early days of the quest but still makes steady progress. The updates have been coming more an more often which is of course a great joy to us all. Based on her recent progress I project that the great meeting will take place somewhere around NewPage 430.

Line is the Present Time. The points represents Blitzgirls quest signposts, showing how far behind the Present they were. All units in NewPages.

Keep going Blitzgirl. Don't lose speed now, the future is Waiting!

Fascinating! I love visualizing data. All the better when it is data of me! The 430 estimate is perhaps the first that doesn't make me despair - it actually seems quite achievable. Thanks!

KarMann wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
KarMann wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
buffygirl wrote:EDIT: And while I'm at it, who approved this??? What happened to Blitzgirl-as-pope? I have not the opportunity to read the pages I have missed, how am I to know what this means?

Blitzgirl doesn't want to be Pope.

Well, we weren't exactly going to ask her, anyway.

So how do we determine a pope anyway then?

I didn't say we weren't going to make her Pope, just that we wouldn't ask her.

Added: Or Mome, or Mope, or whatever we end up calling it at that point.

So you were going to force-Pope me! *eyes suspiciously*

Exodies wrote:
Valarya wrote:She alone is more than enough. She is only bestowed these titles as due respect of appreciation for her absolute steadfastness and, as you stated, word-wizadry through Time. They can be mostly honorary titles and should not, under any circumstances, create panic or a sense of pressure.

Er. Well, the "Reader" title should. Don't want her slacking on that.

Indeed! I must read! It is my creed! An order I heed! In fact, a need! And so I proceed!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

KayZ

Postby KayZ » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:HAL's signature made me think of this, but it's the only rational explanation.

Apes discovered tools, humans went to Jupiter, and Megan & Cueball built sandcastles.

And the comic of today (1202) clearly shows what Cueball and Megan are up to when they are not building sandsemencancercoffeebabycastles (it also shows, He is a very active reader).

I'm a first time poster, all Time lurker but everything is so clear now, so listen to me! No, don't turn away, listen!!

Megan and Cueball have realized they don't know anything (except for how to build trebuchets, castles, scaffolding, and maybe how to use oxford commas) so Cueball went to get some more knowledge. Soon& they will start a new civilization based on knowledge and semencancercoffeebabies.
After a few generations@ their offspring will have THIS technology to reach Jupiter and on arriving there, they'll want to know how it tastes% (after all, they went there to get more knowledge). But first, they'll have to create a small island with an IKEA to do their research. And that's when Time will loop#.

May the-One-who-was,-the-One-who-is-and-the-One-who-will-be be merciful and bring this message to the future if no one sees it in the present that will be Your future but our past.

& - within the next few tens of thousands of TimeFrames
@ - within the next million of GONGs
% - either "Pffthh *cough*" or "Pfffth pthuh yuck"
# - I'm guessing 300 outsider years after the first outsider has taken a bath on Jupiter and survived.

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

Alright, who's been messing with the timestream and disqualifying the users who previously held the title of PFAN?
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:Alright, who's been messing with the timestream and disqualifying the users who previously held the title of PFAN?

I totally did that, as a new poster you need to wait for approval, which can take as much as one newpage or more, and when you get approval your post just appears in the past. Not my fault!!!

Also, I didn't realize Tass had posted that graph of BlitzGirl's progress, I've just been keeping track of it in a spreadsheet... which btw, my current model shows 468 as unification page.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:Alright, who's been messing with the timestream and disqualifying the users who previously held the title of PFAN?

The church of the Newpage has taken over the work of selecting the Pope. The Doctrines of the church are determined by that page, and only exist for the existence of that page. As this is a church which is determined by the page, the final poster of the page has the ultimate say and is therefore deemed Pope!

All hail Pope Asthanius!
Last edited by Caswallon on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

Looks like she noticed.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Quick, Megan, you need to go and retrieve the flag before it gets carried away in about 15 NP.

Edit: ninja'd

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

megan_vs_la_petite.png

I've figured it out, La Petite is actually Megan as a child! We just narrowly missed the singularity if Megan had been awake earlier!

Or Megan was secretly dreaming of Blitzgirl, hence why she was summoned into the comic.
Last edited by Caswallon on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
mscha wrote:

megan_vs_la_petite.png

I've figured it out, La Petite is actually Megan as a child! We just narrowly missed the singularity if Megan had been awake earlier!

Does that mean Beret Man stole his hat from Megan when she was young?

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Trying to get caught up post-coma. So exciting to see stuff happening!

StratPlayer wrote:I'm off to Jury Duty and will think of this the whole time. "Yeah, yeah. They're guilty. Can we go home now???"

hahaha. I know, stuff finally starts happening when you get called for jury duty. Murphys Randall's Law.

jjjdavidson wrote:Well, there's no brim to her hat, so she's certainly not Madeline.

That's who I was thinking of, but I guess it doesn't really look like her:

madeline.jpeg
madeline.jpeg (7.56 KiB) Viewed 9764 times

42isall wrote:Anyone else feel like part of the audience from the Truman Show? We're just kind of watching these characters evolve and have made up an entire community around them, while they just go about their day unaware.

I hadn't thought of that comparison, but I like it.

Ok, gotta keep reading. Oh, and maybe do some Outside work here and there...

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

kryton

Postby kryton » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:<snip>

42isall wrote:Anyone else feel like part of the audience from the Truman Show? We're just kind of watching these characters evolve and have made up an entire community around them, while they just go about their day unaware.

I hadn't thought of that comparison, but I like it.

Ok, gotta keep reading. Oh, and maybe do some Outside work here and there...

But I get the feeling that WE are the ones being watched unawares... :shock:
oh, er , hi garbage man smith, nice lens you have in your hat today. much smaller and more iridescent than last week's lens.
1298 and counting

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

patzer wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Can I have one of those posts/newpix graphs? I don't have Excel.

Nobody done this for you yet?

(by the way, has someone updated that raw post data in the pastebin yet?)
Thank you! (I forgot to say this in my earlier posts. So many things to go back and find to reply to!)

silent_death wrote:To get back to something which was way too long ago (like 10-20 pages) - I finally finished the diagram I wanted to do, it shows the posts per Page for the Top20 Posters (up until page 360). The huge blue Chunk are all the others.
It does not look as nice as I hoped (maybe I should take the Top30 or Top40, at least that would make it more colorful) and it basically is a giant mess - wanted to share it anyway (sry for the huge picture)
Oh, cool! I love it when people implement crazy ideas I throw at them. It looks sort of like an upside-down graph on a blue background. It's interesting to see the times that were more dominated by the top 20.

When the thread gets long enough, such a graph of the posts in order (not grouped by user) would make a lovely friendship bracelet.

SBN wrote:Or, he has a plan, but the amount of change meted out to us is based on how much we post. We get boring, the OTC moves more slowly, ...
Sort of like in the Doldrums?

(because you can never have too many Phantom Tollbooth references.)
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Actually, on viewing the holy book of Aubron, I am confident that LePetite is a child, and Megan and Cueball are adults. EIther that, or M&C are Giants.

Or LaPetite ('la' is feminine, 'le' is masculine) is a hobbit...
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

VoronX wrote:

Or LaPetite ('la' is feminine, 'le' is masculine) is a hobbit...

Or what if I'm about to start another debate on the 2D/3D/2.5D nature of the comic and LaPetite is just in the distance looking at something else?
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

DavidRa wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:And they would be more around 600k anyway...

Surely it would be approx C(700,2). My memory from 24 years ago suggests that choosing k items from n (where the item is not put back for "rechoosing") is:

n! / (n! (n-k)!)

Spoiler:
So

700! / (2! * 698!)

The 698! cancels and we're left with:

700 * 699 / 2 = 244,650.

Of course if you plan to allow for the order of selection to matter:

n! / (n-k)!

So

700! / 698!

Again, the 698! cancels and we're left with:

700 * 699 or 489,300.

Give or take.

Hum, had to think about this one... we are right now at 806 frames. So I subtract any and each frame from frame 1, makes 806 difference frames. We do the same for frame 2 and get another 806 difference frames and so forth till frame 806. So it is 806 x 806 frames. Since subtraction isn't a commutative operation, there are different outcomes that have to be counted. Also: It does not make sense to subtract a frame from itself so we have to subtract 806 of these cases so we arrive at 806 * 806 - 806 = 648830 (equivalent, of course, to 806 * 805) difference frames. But maybe I am completely mistaken.

My initial calculation was with 769 frames, which would account for the skew in your more general solution.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

What with all the scripting people here have been doing, has anyone extracted the full text of this thread? I'd like to run it through a little (non-Time-related) tool I made on the weekend and see if anything amusing comes out. And also see whether any lurking memory leaks will reveal themselves while it's processing such a large body of text (the largest thing I've tested it on so far is an entire novel.)
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”