1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:07 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:The writings from the Markov Chain generator and the accidental haikus were awesome :D
And so was something else but I've already forgotten.

The whole damn thread?
Aint we just?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

CatHectic

Postby CatHectic » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:12 am UTC

Haiku and markov chains and everything else = awesome!

I was googling some lyrics earlier (to make sure I had the right song) and came across this eerie reference to sand and time, had to share:

Twilight Zone, Season 1, Episode 7: The Lonely

[Opening Narration] Witness if you will a dungeon, made out of mountains, salt flats and sand that stretch to infinity. The dungeon has an inmate: James A. Corry. And this is his residence: a metal shack. An old touring car that squats in the sun and goes nowhere - for there is nowhere to go. For the record let it be known that James A. Corry is a convicted criminal placed in solitary confinement. Confinement in this case stretches as far as the eye can see, because this particular dungeon is on an asteroid nine million miles from the Earth. Now witness if you will a man's mind and body shriveling in the sun, a man dying of loneliness.

[Closing Narration] On a microscopic piece of sand that floats through space is a fragment of a man's life. Left to rust is the place he lived in and the machines he used. Without use, they will disintegrate from the wind and the sand and the years that act upon them. All of Mr. Corry's machines, including the one made in his image, kept alive by love, but now obsolete - in The Twilight Zone.

Anyone else remember this episode?
Your Larghissimographer, collector of the xkcd Time Travel Mix

Keep going, BlitzGirl the Next (that's you, Vytron! And you too, edo!): remember, tempo rubato, tempo di fulmineo! Please keep sending us news of your progress, with all your blitz class and blitz style...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:15 am UTC

Phfeww... Long exposure to the Outside has left me dazed and drained. But after much effort when my mind screamed at me to coma instead, I am at least caught up with this thread. There was much that I missed (collapse of the first tower!), and much more awedomeness in here.

So many things I'd like to comment on, but I'm far too spent. My jokinator is jammed; my punnifer is pooped... For now all I can add is a weary "yada, yada, yada..." and you can fill in the brilliant humor yourself.

But I'm with you in spirit, and even while I'm away - even while I coma - I Wait for It, and I Wait With You!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:27 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Just like the Wonderful Buffygirl I have made a hat for BlitzGirl!!

I MAKE ALL THE HATS! MAY RANDALL'S WRATH FALL UPON YOU!
yes yes I know, I am very far behind ....
comatime

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:38 am UTC

geez, how did i double post?
Last edited by jovialbard on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:38 am UTC

I commented on both the dimensionality and timestamps way back here but nobody seemed to notice then, I only bring it up because a couple people have mentioned those topics recently. For a minute I thought I must have just not posted those thoughts until I found them 5 pages back.

Also, I think I'll work on a little project tomorrow night that would benefit greatly from a blurred video of the OTC from the beginning until megan comas, about 2 minutes and 15 seconds long or so. Preferably with an artistic slowing down at the very tail end, perhaps the last 10 frames or so? Anyone feel up to putting something like that together, I promise the end result will be cool... maybe :)
Last edited by jovialbard on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:42 am UTC

jovialbard wrote:I commented on both the dimensionality and timestamps way back [url=
http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7& ... 7#p3334777]here[/url] but nobody seemed to notice then, I only bring it up because a couple people have mentioned those topics recently. For a minute I thought I must have just not posted those thoughts until I found them 5 pages back.

Also, I think I'll work on a little project tomorrow night that would benefit greatly from a blurred video of the OTC from the beginning until megan comas, about 2 minutes and 15 seconds long or so. Preferably with an artistic slowing down at the very tail end, perhaps the last 10 frames or so? Anyone feel up to putting something like that together, I promise the end result will be cool... maybe :)

I could do that, but not until tomorrow night. I have half the code ready since I did this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXLY8TJJ4sw

Sorry, lied about comaing. will in minute or too...
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:48 am UTC

Well, jeez, it's only 12 hexadecapix to the newpix. May as well wait again before comaing.
Image- Kieryn

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:49 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:I could do that, but not until tomorrow night. I have half the code ready since I did this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXLY8TJJ4sw

Sorry, lied about comaing. will in minute or too...

That's pretty sweet. Also, I won't be working on my project for another 20 longpix or so anyway.

edit: coma-time doo doodoodoo doodoo doodoo

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:03 am UTC

Well, she broke the bridge. Good night and good wait.
Image- Kieryn

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:04 am UTC

uhhhhhONG???
22dc3c2f1c4a9da58de8bd880c559ddaf2a55d42dd38daa1c9a944782200f579.png
22dc3c2f1c4a9da58de8bd880c559ddaf2a55d42dd38daa1c9a944782200f579.png (11.01 KiB) Viewed 10057 times

Edit: Insufficient ONG pondering with no expectation of being the one for the newpix. :(

ZombieLion

Postby ZombieLion » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:08 am UTC

She's breaking the bridge. :evil: Someone stop her!
blowfishhootie wrote:This community has created a situation in which asking someone if they want semen with their caffeinated drink actually makes sense.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:09 am UTC

Oh me yarm! she just broke the archway with her foot!!! I was afraid she was going to do that when she stood on it!

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:14 am UTC

I now think Megan in this comic symbolizes Godzilla. Let's see how the rest of the castle complex fares now.

Added:
buffygirl wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Just like the Wonderful Buffygirl I have made a hat for BlitzGirl!!

comatime

So where did I come from, then?
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

FayZee

Re: 1190: "Time":Rest Stop

Postby FayZee » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:27 am UTC

kryton wrote:
mscha wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
kryton wrote:
Spoiler:
================================================
Welcome Time Traveler to the
Rest Stop Imperpetuate.
Here you will find a brief respite from your toils of journeying through the past as you endevor to find the present, and eventually the future.

To your right you will find a cot, blanket, pillow, earplugs, and alarm clock should you decide to partake of a long regenerative coma or brief refreshing trance.

To your left you will find the refreshment stand where you may partake of chilled spring water, juice, soda, wine, and several other selection, as well as a snack bar of assorted fruits, chocolates, nuts, candies, sandwiches, energy bars, pastries, pasta dishes, or even a nicely cooked steak and potato if it meets your desire.

Ahead and through the frosted glass door you will find a dressing room with a clean change of clothes, and facilities for attending to your personal hygiene. Every effort has been made to ensure a full selection of products and materials for your convenience has been included. Your benefactors of the future have come to understand that trudging through 20newpage old and older coffeebaconsanddandrufsemenoilcancerbabytonerlatexpaintdarkmatterantfarmtwoeggeandgritsholdthespamplease can become unplesantly sticky and emit a less than fresh pixel scent, so feel free to make use of the auto-scrub 21 personal hygiene and sanitation booth, which will remove the offal from every square inch as well as from each hidden nook, cranny, and groove.

This facility is equipped with a Genuine People Personality and will happily engage you in conversation in any topic of your choosing so that you may distract yourself from the quite detailed and thorough job the auto-scrub 21 is doing.

Enjoy your rest here and journey on when ready.

With our compliments
- The Management.

EDIT: We are happy to ensure you that the auto-scrub 21 is the latest and greatest from Hygiene-O-Mat INC and suffers none of the problems that plagued the auto-scrub 20.
Edit2: Hygiene-O-Mat Inc has asked us to inform you also that they are financially stable and all law suits that stemmed from the auto-scrub 19 have been settled.
edit-3: The management is delighted to announce that the personal hygiene space has been upgraded to a classic Victorian claw-foot shower/tub, sink, vanity, and toilet, for your relaxed and emotional convenience, and that safety harness, topical insulation salves and grounding wire installation that were mandated by the courts for anyone foolish enough to approach within arms length of an auto-scurb 21, will no longer be necessary nor any longer an impediment to your enjoyment of the Rest Stop Imperpetuate.
Edit 4: Rest Stop Imperpetuate is pleased to announce that the wine and pastry selection has been greatly enhanced, owing to the tidy sum collected in the lawsuit against Hygiene-O-Mat over its auto-scrub 21, and that the management hopes the greater variety and offerings enhance your stay even more.
Edit 5: The management begs the forgiveness of the traveler for almost missing the most important part, instructions to activate this facility. Once this rest stop has drifted at least 5 forum pages into the past, it will activate and then stand ready to unlock and open to the travelers in the past who speaking their traveler name into the speaker at the right of the large iron door with the warning sign indicating the 50,000v security system for defense against trespassers from the present attempting unauthorized access without the accumulated gestalts of sufficient journeying in the past.
edit 6: We here at Rest Stop Imperpetuate are delighted to present you, traveler of the past, with a brand new non-electrified security door. We hope that the lack of a potentially fatal jolt that protects you and your accomodations against trespassers in no way diminishes your joy and pleasure during your stay, and we assure you that the charred bodies piled to the left will be removed promptly, if they have not already been done so. We apologize that the selections of wines for your aperitif have been reduced as operation overhead expenses have unfortunately gone up to pay for the lawsuits. We wish to assure you that the interior has not been breached and remains hermetically sealed awaiting your arrival.
================================================

This was funny. However, I can't help but point out that it's "endeavo(u)r" with an "a." Also, offal is, from WIkipdia, "variety meats or organ meats, refers to the internal organs and entrails of a butchered animal." I hope that's not what we're covered in after traversing Time. That would be awful. (get it? awful? offal?)

I think the offal is intended, and makes sense: that's what's left of the cancerbabies in the sea after many NewPages have past, no?
What I'm missing from kryton's hilarious post (I bet Douglas Adams is ROFLing in his grave) is: how can I get my towel serviced?

The management would like to thank you for your suggestion that will benefit other travelers and has hired the Alternatine History Engineerinc ltd. to retroactively make the stay of the past travelers more enjoyable than it was. Feel free to peruse the premises at

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3334914#p3334914

I really enjoyed the original amusing post when I came upon it, but the later edits rock even more.
Each edit was d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s in its wording. I could visualise the exact demeanour of the speakhhhhh writer.
Last edited by FayZee on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ZombieLion

Postby ZombieLion » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:29 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

comatime

So where did I come from, then?

She's had a monopoly on hats only since the dawn of Time (that's not a phrase you see everyday :lol:), so you are exempt

Latent22 wrote:Oh me yarm!

I wonder why the Zul-Gurub weren't reinstated after the Reckoning. :?
Do the fora even have serious filters?
blowfishhootie wrote:This community has created a situation in which asking someone if they want semen with their caffeinated drink actually makes sense.

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:39 am UTC

ZombieLion wrote:She's had a monopoly on hats only since the dawn of Time (that's not a phrase you see everyday :lol:), so you are exempt

I forget the exact line from Time bandits, but something like "Your salary shall be reduced by 15%, backdated to the beginning of time."

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:43 am UTC

vvn wrote:
ZombieLion wrote:She's had a monopoly on hats only since the dawn of Time (that's not a phrase you see everyday :lol:), so you are exempt

I forget the exact line from Time bandits, but something like "Your salary shall be reduced by 15%, backdated to the beginning of time."

Not much of a loss, considering we aren't getting paid...
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:49 am UTC

Well, not that we know the universe is only about 13.5 billion years old it's nothing. Back when the movie was released we thought the universe was infinite. We could have been charged 15% of 0/0, which could be huge if you get the wrong judge...

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:51 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Gee Willikers! she just broke the archway with her foot!!! I was afraid she was going to do that when she stood on it!

Maybe she's breaking the bridge in order to pile up sand to make a larger mound, a bigger dike. The river may be small, but the sea is Big, and it's coming in quickly.

ZombieLion

Postby ZombieLion » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:55 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Not much of a loss, considering we aren't getting paid...

Time is money. We're getting paid in newpix. :D
vvn wrote:"...shall be reduced by 15%, backdated to the beginning of time."

We're doomed. DOOMED!!! :cry:

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:00 am UTC

FLONG!

Added: ChronosDragon, looks like you win the divination prize for the NewPix!
Last edited by KarMann on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:01 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Maybe she's breaking the bridge in order to pile up sand to make a larger mound, a bigger dike. The river may be small, but the sea is Big, and it's coming in quickly.

Yeap looks to be building something to hold back the water

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:04 am UTC

KarMann wrote:FLONG!

Added: ChronosDragon, looks like you win the divination prize for the NewPix!

Wow, I was right :D

My vibes must by sycned with the One True Comic. Say, we don't have a New Age-y religion centered around the OTC yet, do we? :)
Followers, we have more power than we thought. The outsiders tried to hide it from us for all this time, but we have become attuned through constant observation and participation. Everything is connected - us, the comic, the forum, even the Outside, though it lies at the far edge of the web of everything. By watching and Waiting For It only can we become closer to the center of the web, and thus more enlightened.
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:05 am UTC

My Prediction for newpix 10,000:
np10000.png
np10000.png (1.93 KiB) Viewed 9946 times

Edit: Maybe off by a decimal point.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:14 am UTC

This weekend we learned what ignorance is.

Also, isn't Megan smaller than she was when she was lower down?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:21 am UTC

I wonder what a map of the world showing what cities followers of this thread live in would look like. Does anyone want to make this? To start, I live in Eugene, OR, USA.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:27 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:Oops, almost forgot. For Jafloi!

Edit: And thanks for the BlitzGirl Hat ideas!

Thank you!
:D
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:29 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:I wonder what a map of the world showing what cities followers of this thread live in would look like. Does anyone want to make this? To start, I live in Eugene, OR, USA.

So close! Redmond, WA, USA

This page and the other maps accessible from there may be of use in determining overall distribution.
And with that, I must coma. No more new characters while I'm out, y'hear? :)

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:32 am UTC

Love the 42 on Jafloi's hat!

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:44 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
tman2nd wrote:I wonder what a map of the world showing what cities followers of this thread live in would look like. Does anyone want to make this? To start, I live in Eugene, OR, USA.

This page and the other maps accessible from there may be of use in determining overall distribution.

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:55 am UTC

patzer wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

I actually thought of that comic when I made my suggestion, but we probably don't have enough data points for the map to look like that.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:55 am UTC

As I'm reading this on my iGadget and content creation is tedious on it, I've been waiting for someone else to add the song "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" by Sandy Denny. Now I fear that It may come before it does. So here you are, middle verse is for us:
Spoiler:
Across the purple sky, all the birds are leaving
But how can they know it's time for them to go?
Before the winter fire, I will still be dreaming
I have no thought of time

For who knows where the time goes?
Who knows where the time goes?

Sad, deserted shore, your fickle friends are leaving
Ah, but then you know it's time for them to go
But I will still be here, I have no thought of leaving
I do not count the time

For who knows where the time goes?
Who knows where the time goes?

Spoiler:
And I am not alone while my love is near me
I know it will be so until it's time to go
So come the storms of winter and then the birds in spring again
I do not fear the time

For who knows how my love grows?
And who knows where the time goes?

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:58 am UTC

I don't even fit on that map :P
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:19 am UTC

Looking at the hashes, I thought "this isn't a human language, perhaps it's a computer language". So I gathered them all together in one file, put a .exe on the end and double clicked it. For a while nothing happened, the computer just hummed under the desk. "Hm", I thought, "maybe that's not it" but then I noticed something, a little sheep running along the bottom of the screen. I hit it with the mouse and it disappeared. And so did the .exe file.

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:22 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:This page and the other maps accessible from there may be of use in determining overall distribution..

That is probably the best data we will have on this topic...

Unrelated. During the slow down I was reading other threads, and happened upon the Boston bombing. While it's not thread relevant, I have question for the thread. (Seems like smart people with emotional control.) Do you consider the Boston Marathon bombing to be a use of a WMD? Feel free to ignore or PM answers if you think it should not be mentioned in this thread.

Edit: Messed up the quote. Sorry.
Last edited by vvn on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:23 am UTC

Exodies wrote:Looking at the hashes, I thought "this isn't a human language, perhaps it's a computer language". So I gathered them all together in one file, put a .exe on the end and double clicked it. For a while nothing happened, the computer just hummed under the desk. "Hm", I thought, "maybe that's not it" but then I noticed something, a little sheep running along the bottom of the screen. I hit it with the mouse and it disappeared. And so did the .exe file.

Just says not a valid win32 executable for me!

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:26 am UTC

Exodies wrote:Looking at the hashes, I thought "this isn't a human language, perhaps it's a computer language". So I gathered them all together in one file, put a .exe on the end and double clicked it. For a while nothing happened, the computer just hummed under the desk. "Hm", I thought, "maybe that's not it" but then I noticed something, a little sheep running along the bottom of the screen. I hit it with the mouse and it disappeared. And so did the .exe file.

An interesting approach. Never occurred to me. It would surprise and thrill me if that worked.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:31 am UTC

Woah, I thought .exe were compiled programs. I don't know enough about programming on the desktop to confirm though.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”