1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:38 am UTC

I'm starting to think that some of my fellow Time Waiters (of various hues) might not realize that the word 'gullible' isn't in the dictionary.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:40 am UTC

azule wrote:Woah, I thought .exe were compiled programs. I don't know enough about programming on the desktop to confirm though.

A compiler puts together proper executable programs. Doesn't mean that there is no other way to generate an executable.

I would never have thought of the hashes being executable. But, if they were an executable program, I would change the hex to raw data, and then try it as an executable in Linux, Windows and OSX.

If Randall generated an executable, and then cut it into pieces, giving us a piece at a time in the hash. That would be awesome. We wouldn't have the full program until the end of Time. It would be a small program, or a long Time. If I were Randall I would figure nobody would EVER think of that. I certainly never would. Kudos for the idea. But, I think it's very unlikely.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:41 am UTC

KarMann wrote:I'm starting to think that some of my fellow Time Waiters (of various hues) might not realize that the word 'gullible' isn't in the dictionary.

Ha! Found it in my dictionary.

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:44 am UTC

vvn wrote:Love the 42 on Jafloi's hat!

Me too!
------

vvn wrote:
AK49BWL wrote:This really is a great thread. It pulled me out of hiding, it must be something... :lol:

I think that qualifies you for Cardinalship.

seconded!
Cardinal AK49BWL of No Longer Lurking?

-----
buffygirl wrote:Oops, almost forgot. For Jafloi!

Edit: And thanks for the BlitzGirl Hat ideas!

Again, thank you very much! I just couldn't resist putting it on a more high-res picture of me :) The hat was to good to just sit on top of a lump of turbid pixels...

---------
Spoiler:
AluisioASG wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:I haven't had much to add to the discussion of the latest frames, so it seems like a good time to post this:

Sigcouragement
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sigcouragement, in a web forum or similar venue, indicates a poster's use of the signature feature of the forum to provide encouragement and support to those reading a lengthy thread after the poster has already done so. It is a portmanteau of signature and encouragement, apparently coined[original research?] by user "BlitzGirl" in a progress post[1] on the 1190: "Time"[2] thread of the user forum of the xkcd webcomic, after numerous earlier posters altered their signatures specifically to encourage her progress.

Sigcouragement may be considered a form of virtual time travel, in that it allows a poster to add information about the present to a post in the past without directly altering the post, allowing a user proceeding chronologically to apparently see into the future.

Sigcouragement may also allow a writer to alter the subtext of a past post without directly editing the text.[citation needed]

References
1. http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=12400#p3326204
2. http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043

We should totally try to add this to Wikipedia, even if short-lived.
I still have a PDF of the Newpix entry here somewhere.

Aye!

-------
Latent22 wrote:Just like the Wonderful Buffygirl I have made a hat for BlitzGirl!!

Nice! Just watch out for Buffygirl...
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:46 am UTC

Fellow Time Waiters, I have travelled far, and finished my journey through this thread from the newpage 185. Unlike the legendary BlitzGirl, I have travelled in silence.

I now join you in the present ongoing adventure.
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:48 am UTC

123Adz321 wrote:Fellow Time Waiters, I have travelled far, and finished my journey through this thread from the newpage 185. Unlike the legendary BlitzGirl, I have travelled in silence.

I now join you in the present ongoing adventure.

Welcome 123Adz321!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:51 am UTC

Monday's (Tuesday) Midnight Madness:
Visitors. These are strange creatures. They take on the form of an anthropomorphic ghost. For a moment they are there. They stand, they stare, they leave. Do they really exist? Do they walk through walls? I've never opened the door for them, so how did they get near me? I'm kinda scared of them. Pale and skinny, their presence accuses me of being fat and too dark. I'm not dark, I'm just full of blood. Yeah, they're bloodless. I have fat, but am I fat? I don't think so. Besides, I could live off it if I had to. Well, for a bit. But I do get hungry. Mmm. I like nachos. I like burgers. Asian pears, baby. :)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:54 am UTC

vvn wrote:
azule wrote:Woah, I thought .exe were compiled programs. I don't know enough about programming on the desktop to confirm though.

A compiler puts together proper executable programs. Doesn't mean that there is no other way to generate an executable.

I would never have thought of the hashes being executable. But, if they were an executable program, I would change the hex to raw data, and then try it as an executable in Linux, Windows and OSX.

If Randall generated an executable, and then cut it into pieces, giving us a piece at a time in the hash. That would be awesome. We wouldn't have the full program until the end of Time. It would be a small program, or a long Time. If I were Randall I would figure nobody would EVER think of that. I certainly never would. Kudos for the idea. But, I think it's very unlikely.

Sorry for my last two joke posts. It is an interesting idea. The hash data is random and looks very different to executable machine code. In theory it could be a compressed file but then we should see a header with the file type.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:01 am UTC

KWONG!
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:01 am UTC

Good morning, here's Europe waking up.

Following the night's discussion, I learned that Randall modified a newpix well after release?

As far as we knew until then, with a new newpix the last newpix becomes history and would be inaccessible if not for great projects like Aubron's. Now the implication changed: He most probably has plans about making the whole project accessible some way one day - I can't think of any other good reason for changing a frame long gone?
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:03 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Sorry for my last two joke posts. It is an interesting idea. The hash data is random and looks very different to executable machine code. In theory it could be a compressed file but then we should see a header with the file type.

Don't be sorry, it's valid idea. I don't know enough about .exe files to interpret the first portion as hex data, but you never know. Randall could be very clever with the games he plays. The more unlikely a theory, the more kudos you get if it turns out to be true. (But, unlikely theories don't get serious kudos until there is some evidence.)

I always admire someone that has an idea that would never occur to me. It doesn't matter if it's right, I never would have thought of it.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:14 am UTC

vvn wrote:
tman2nd wrote:This page and the other maps accessible from there may be of use in determining overall distribution..

That is probably the best data we will have on this topic...

Unrelated. During the slow down I was reading other threads, and happened upon the Boston bombing. While it's not thread relevant, I have question for the thread. (Seems like smart people with emotional control.) Do you consider the Boston Marathon bombing to be a use of a WMD? Feel free to ignore or PM answers if you think it should not be mentioned in this thread.

I didn't say that.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:18 am UTC

Didn't say you did. (I assume you meant user distribution, not bombing.) It is just my opinion. I figure that is better data than we will get by (not many) people posting their location. That's all. It was meant as a kudo.

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Re: 1190: "Time":Rest Stop

Postby Flado » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:20 am UTC

kryton wrote:================================================
Welcome Time Traveler to the
Rest Stop Imperpetuate.
(snip)
little 3x5 card next to the coffee maker.
================================================

Eww... The smell!!! My towel!!!
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:38 am UTC

KayZ wrote:May the-One-who-was,-the-One-who-is-and-the-One-who-will-be be merciful and bring this message to the future if no one sees it in the present that will be Your future but our past.

Got it. But I'm still in the past, so maybe I don't count.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:49 am UTC

KayZ wrote:May the-One-who-was,-the-One-who-is-and-the-One-who-will-be be merciful and bring this message to the future if no one sees it in the present that will be Your future but our past.

Having missed this before on account of moderation, I feel much better now about the chances of someone getting what I was going for with the "G'QUONG" NewPix bell. :D
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:53 am UTC

vvn wrote:Didn't say you did. (I assume you meant user distribution, not bombing.) It is just my opinion. I figure that is better data than we will get by (not many) people posting their location. That's all. It was meant as a kudo.

What I meant was I didn't say what you quoted me saying.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:00 am UTC

*ONG:

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:04 am UTC

So, dyke building business, again. This time, not XS sized, but L.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:13 am UTC

Notify:

What-If #42: Longest Sunset has been released.

(Double post - sue me.)

Swein

Postby Swein » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:30 am UTC

Heeding the words of the creator of Time I have waited. For a long time I have waited and my wait is far from over, waiting for it.
One wait is over though, and here is my first post on the one thread to rule them all and in front of the computer screen bind them.

That was the words of Swein - waiting for it

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:30 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Notify:

(Double post - sue me.)

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:31 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Notify:

(Double post - sue me.)

Great Lord Randall wrote:It’s shortest in spring and fall (when the Sun is over the equator) and longest at the solstice and equinox.

Wait, what?? (Yeah, I'm sure there's a more relevant place for this. Headed there next, though I expect someone's noticed already.)

Added: Well! I guess not!
Last edited by KarMann on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:31 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:BlitzGirl, do you by any chance have a baret?

Have to applaud the unintentional ambiguity there. Are you wondering about a hat (beret) or a hair-retention device (barette)?
:mrgreen:

BlitzGirl wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:BlitzGirl, do you by any chance have a baret?
and also: I'll make sure those Croissants are oven-fresh when you arrive!

Did you mean: beret

Yes, I'm sorry, but I can explain! My native language is Dutch and the Dutch word for beret is baret!
Since most of you are of the English tongue, I have edited the sig.

--

Angelastic wrote:I haven't even read them all yet, but here are some of my favourite unintentional haiku from this thread (as found by a little app I wrote on Sunday, which I'll probably put online in a couple of timeframes if I don't get too distracted by this thread. I should probably add a text export to it so I can just dump the whole lot of them on you.)

Spoiler:
I kinda hope it's
as simplistic as it seems,
but it may not be.

They'll spend a lifetime
building a world from scratch and
grow old together.

Oh my God, watching
this comic is so thrilling
and... time consuming.

I have a feeling
that this won't be some thing that
just ends by next week.

I was hoping for
something different, like a knight
to go with the rook.

I think Randall is
trying to say that they are
having a baby.

I hope he gets back
with the sandwiches soon ... she'll
be getting hungry.

He's been 'waiting' for
his free time, we're gonna be
waiting for the end.

It explains how we
are imprisoned by the works
we have created.

And so castles made
of sand melts into the sea,
eventually...

I personally
think this really will go on
for months, if not years.

I've just got to work
and am ready for a day
of hardcore waiting.

and its all because
of everyone else out there
watching and waiting.

Or there's always the
feathered velciraptors, waves, <--the misspelling makes it the right number of syllables. I'm disappointed this one isn't real now.
lions or hat guy.

And that seems to be
the precise formula to
keep us addicted.

This comic may not
turn out to be something you
can really wait through.

Your suggestions would
have ruined the mystery
in the beginning.

Clearly this means that
Randall has been diagnosed
with psoriasis.

I didn't really
know if it had changed or not,
but it captured me.

We want it to stay
around forever, just like
a real sandcastle.

I find it hard to
believe that he'd expect us
to go so crazy.

Surely this is the
most important of all the
frames, it sets the scene!

In the new one, the
entire castle shifted
a bit to the right.

...running out of... things
to analyze... life support,
failing... send... new... frame...

On that note, I think
we may be just a bit off
topic at this point.

I searched for a while
but after 20 minutes
I could not find it.

Over 300
people with way too many
newpix on their hands.

I think I believe
in a religion for the
first Time in my life.

And bombard the two
sandcastles with whatever
a trebuchet hurls.

Woke up to see the
thread go from page 56
to 71.

People can't be arsed
to read back any further
than the current page?

Also, Gee Willikers,
did I just coin a name for
a new religion?

Proving that Time will
pass you by when you aren't
paying attention.

We found that he joined
her and they built up their world
together again.

I'm not predicting
anything, merely keeping
all options open.

You have to swim through
the sea of semen to reach
the sea of bacon

We can easily
reach 7 pages, but 8
seems unlikely....wat...

Cue ball is going
to suicide in the sea
of pregnant babies!

The solemn postures
and their distance apart tells
me something is wrong.

Just trying to keep
people awake until the
next frame is displayed.

Too bad someone else
said the same thing at around
20 newpages

This goes to show just
how far we will go to put
meaning into things

I'm pretty sure I
just saw him move, but its been
less than a newpix.

Please enlighten me,
good sirs and madams: What the
bleeding hell happened?

As a Cardinal,
I believe it is my vote
that decides the pope.

His fingertips are
holding onto the cracks in
their Magic Kingdom.

That's me not doing
anything productive for
the rest of the day

Edit: If you want to look at the rest of them, or find haikus elsewhere, here is my hastily-written Haiku Detector app for Mac OS X 10.6 and later. I didn't get around to adding a text export, because I was too distracted by this thread.

This is amazing!
I actually wrote and posted a few haikus about Time, way back when, but these are somehow more beautiful!
It's nice to know there is another fan of 'the genre' on the thread!
That script is awesome! Sadly I do not own an Apple-machine, so I can't use it for myself. Is there maybe a way to convert it to a windows-platform?

Maybe we should get a 'Time Literature' page on the Wiki to archive and collect all these little wordmarvels that are posted!
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:34 am UTC

manvandmaan wrote:Yes, I'm sorry, but I can explain! My native language is Dutch and the Dutch word for beret is baret!

Hey, you don't know where my tongue has been, so keep your speculation to yourself, thank you very much! :wink:
(I am rather more polyglot than your average American; but on the other hand, my tongue has indeed been to England, along with the rest of me.)
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:36 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:Yes, I'm sorry, but I can explain! My native language is Dutch and the Dutch word for beret is baret!

Hey, you don't know where my tongue has been, so keep your speculation to yourself, thank you very much! :wink:
(I am rather more polyglot than your average American; but on the other hand, my tongue has indeed been to England, along with the rest of me.)

:D

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:43 am UTC

manvandmaan wrote:Maybe we should get a 'Time Literature' page on the Wiki to archive and collect all these little wordmarvels that are posted!

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Literature
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am UTC

patzer wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:Maybe we should get a 'Time Literature' page on the Wiki to archive and collect all these little wordmarvels that are posted!

Many thanks and an internet to you, Patzer, Keeper Of The Knowledge

In case it wasn't mentioned yet. Let's not forget today's What-If! I found it especially entertaining and beautiful! A must read! seriously, you MUST read it, or a kitten will die.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:53 am UTC

manvandmaan wrote:
patzer wrote:

Many thanks and an internet to you, Patzer, Keeper Of The Knowledge

In case it wasn't mentioned yet. Let's not forget today's What-If! I found it especially entertaining and beautiful! A must read! seriously, you MUST read it, or a kitten will die.

Not the kittens! :cry:

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:55 am UTC

manvandmaan wrote:
Angelastic wrote:I haven't even read them all yet, but here are some of my favourite unintentional haiku from this thread (as found by a little app I wrote on Sunday, which I'll probably put online in a couple of timeframes if I don't get too distracted by this thread. I should probably add a text export to it so I can just dump the whole lot of them on you.)

Spoiler:
I kinda hope it's
but it may not be.

They'll spend a lifetime
grow old together.

Oh my God, watching
and... time consuming.

I have a feeling
just ends by next week.

I was hoping for
to go with the rook.

I think Randall is
having a baby.

I hope he gets back
be getting hungry.

He's been 'waiting' for
waiting for the end.

It explains how we
we have created.

And so castles made
eventually...

I personally

I've just got to work
and am ready for a day
of hardcore waiting.

and its all because
watching and waiting.

Or there's always the
feathered velciraptors, waves, <--the misspelling makes it the right number of syllables. I'm disappointed this one isn't real now.
lions or hat guy.

And that seems to be
the precise formula to
keep us addicted.

This comic may not
can really wait through.

Your suggestions would
have ruined the mystery
in the beginning.

Clearly this means that
with psoriasis.

I didn't really
but it captured me.

We want it to stay
a real sandcastle.

I find it hard to
to go so crazy.

Surely this is the

In the new one, the
entire castle shifted
a bit to the right.

On that note, I think
we may be just a bit off
topic at this point.

I searched for a while
but after 20 minutes
I could not find it.

Over 300
people with way too many
newpix on their hands.

I think I believe
in a religion for the
first Time in my life.

And bombard the two
a trebuchet hurls.

Woke up to see the
thread go from page 56
to 71.

People can't be arsed
to read back any further
than the current page?

Also, Gee Willikers,
a new religion?

Proving that Time will
paying attention.

We found that he joined
together again.

I'm not predicting
anything, merely keeping
all options open.

You have to swim through
the sea of bacon

We can easily
reach 7 pages, but 8
seems unlikely....wat...

Cue ball is going
to suicide in the sea
of pregnant babies!

The solemn postures
me something is wrong.

Just trying to keep
people awake until the
next frame is displayed.

Too bad someone else
20 newpages

This goes to show just
meaning into things

I'm pretty sure I
less than a newpix.

Please enlighten me,
bleeding hell happened?

As a Cardinal,
I believe it is my vote
that decides the pope.

His fingertips are
their Magic Kingdom.

That's me not doing
anything productive for
the rest of the day

Edit: If you want to look at the rest of them, or find haikus elsewhere, here is my hastily-written Haiku Detector app for Mac OS X 10.6 and later. I didn't get around to adding a text export, because I was too distracted by this thread.

This is amazing!
I actually wrote and posted a few haikus about Time, way back when, but these are somehow more beautiful!
That script is awesome! Sadly I do not own an Apple-machine, so I can't use it for myself. Is there maybe a way to convert it to a windows-platform?

Thanks, I'm glad you (and other people who said similar things) liked it. I can code for Windows (though I generally only do it for money, and I don't have Windows at home anyway) but I don't know whether there's anything like the Mac speech synthesis API (which I used to count syllables) on Windows. However, Jacob Harris at the New York Times (hehe; they have Times Haiku while we have Time Haiku) has a program for who-knows-which-OS using a database of syllable counts. Maybe he'll share. I doubt it; it's the New York Times, not the One True Time.

But knowing this thread, there'll be a Windows version posted in a couple of timeframes.

Failing that, I'll add an export-all-found-haiku-to-a-text-file button when I get home, and post the results here.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:05 am UTC

SCHLONG:

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:39 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:

Spoiler:
I kinda hope it's
but it may not be.

They'll spend a lifetime
grow old together.

Oh my God, watching
and... time consuming.

I have a feeling
just ends by next week.

I was hoping for
to go with the rook.

I think Randall is
having a baby.

I hope he gets back
be getting hungry.

He's been 'waiting' for
waiting for the end.

It explains how we
we have created.

And so castles made
eventually...

I personally

I've just got to work
and am ready for a day
of hardcore waiting.

and its all because
watching and waiting.

Or there's always the
lions or hat guy.

And that seems to be
the precise formula to
keep us addicted.

This comic may not
can really wait through.

Your suggestions would
have ruined the mystery
in the beginning.

Clearly this means that
with psoriasis.

I didn't really
but it captured me.

We want it to stay
a real sandcastle.

I find it hard to
to go so crazy.

Surely this is the

In the new one, the
entire castle shifted
a bit to the right.

On that note, I think
we may be just a bit off
topic at this point.

I searched for a while
but after 20 minutes
I could not find it.

Over 300
people with way too many
newpix on their hands.

I think I believe
in a religion for the
first Time in my life.

And bombard the two
a trebuchet hurls.

Woke up to see the
thread go from page 56
to 71.

People can't be arsed
to read back any further
than the current page?

Also, Gee Willikers,
a new religion?

Proving that Time will
paying attention.

We found that he joined
together again.

I'm not predicting
anything, merely keeping
all options open.

You have to swim through
the sea of bacon

We can easily
reach 7 pages, but 8
seems unlikely....wat...

Cue ball is going
to suicide in the sea
of pregnant babies!

The solemn postures
me something is wrong.

Just trying to keep
people awake until the
next frame is displayed.

Too bad someone else
20 newpages

This goes to show just
meaning into things

I'm pretty sure I
less than a newpix.

Please enlighten me,
bleeding hell happened?

As a Cardinal,
I believe it is my vote
that decides the pope.

His fingertips are
their Magic Kingdom.

That's me not doing
anything productive for
the rest of the day

This is amazing!

Thanks, I'm glad you (and other people who said similar things) liked it. I can code for Windows (though I generally only do it for money, and I don't have Windows at home anyway) but I don't know whether there's anything like the Mac speech synthesis API (which I used to count syllables) on Windows. However, Jacob Harris at the New York Times (hehe; they have Times Haiku while we have Time Haiku) has a program for who-knows-which-OS using a database of syllable counts. Maybe he'll share. I doubt it; it's the New York Times, not the One True Time.

But knowing this thread, there'll be a Windows version posted in a couple of timeframes.

Failing that, I'll add an export-all-found-haiku-to-a-text-file button when I get home, and post the results here.

I didnt know the Times Haiku yet! Thanks for the tip! (our Time is still way cooler then all the New Yok Times combined!)

It does indeed seem likely that someone here can make the transfer to windows, however there is no pressure what so ever! It would just be fun to be able to extract haiku's from random texts, but there is no real need for it :)
I was actually thinking that we could apply the script to books or moviescripts that are really bad (e.g. Twilight, Fifty Shades,...) to see if we can't extract something worthwhile out of them :p Even one good haiku could make up for all the horribleness they unleashed upon this world.

Arther

Postby Arther » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:51 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Sorry for my last two joke posts. It is an interesting idea. The hash data is random and looks very different to executable machine code. In theory it could be a compressed file but then we should see a header with the file type.

If there is meaning to the hashes I'd expect them to be released in reverse order, so any easily identifiable header etc only appears at the very end of time.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:56 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:Thanks, I'm glad you (and other people who said similar things) liked it. I can code for Windows (though I generally only do it for money,..

Really? I wouldn't do it even for money. :wink:

manvandmaan wrote:I didnt know the Times Haiku yet! Thanks for the tip! (our Time is still way cooler then all the New Yok Times combined!)

It does indeed seem likely that someone here can make the transfer to windows, however there is no pressure what so ever! It would just be fun to be able to extract haiku's from random texts, but there is no real need for it :)
I was actually thinking that we could apply the script to books or moviescripts that are really bad (e.g. Twilight, Fifty Shades,...) to see if we can't extract something worthwhile out of them :p Even one good haiku could make up for all the horribleness they unleashed upon this world.

There seems to be a python implementation for haiku finding here. I am currently at work and can't test it, but it looks worth a try.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:04 am UTC

PRONG!
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:11 am UTC

Unless there are dramatic changes in the rate of the rise in sea level, given the height of that new barrier we're going to be here for a long Time.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:11 am UTC

manvandmaan wrote:I was actually thinking that we could apply the script to books or moviescripts that are really bad (e.g. Twilight, Fifty Shades,...) to see if we can't extract something worthwhile out of them :p Even one good haiku could make up for all the horribleness they unleashed upon this world.

I've tried it with one good book so far (Old Man's War by John Scalzi; the results are about a third of the way down), but I think I might start up a new blog with the results from other texts. I'd happily take requests of other books (horrible or otherwise) to haikuvenate, but they'd have to be ones whose full text is legally available, preferrably under some kind of free license (I mistakenly remembered that Old Man's War was Creative Commons, but now I can't find any proof of that. It is available DRM-free though, and Scalzi doesn't seem to be the kind of guy who'd object to this kind of thing at all.)

I guess the Bible would be a good candidate.

Purplepants77 said that one of the haiku I found is from a Hendrix song, but I don't know Hendrix well enough to know which one. :oops:
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:24 am UTC

Good morning, all.
Had a thought as I woke up on the possible meanings, interpretations...

What if Randall has encoded an audio message, where each frame represents one data point of a wave file? E.g. the height of the wave could be established by measuring the number of changed pixels in the frame?

This would be awesomely slow of course... even at the low rate of a 22kHz file, we have only received about 0.036 seconds of sound.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:32 am UTC

Timing.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:33 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Good morning, all.
Had a thought as I woke up on the possible meanings, interpretations...

What if Randall has encoded an audio message, where each frame represents one data point of a wave file? E.g. the height of the wave could be established by measuring the number of changed pixels in the frame?

This would be awesomely slow of course... even at the low rate of a 22kHz file, we have only received about 0.036 seconds of sound.

I was kind of thinking an image file might be most appropriate. Almost like in Contact (more so the book than the movie), where there's the obvious video signal, but another more subtle image signal hidden within the same waves (but in a different, orthogonal way). Of course, the other ideas are certainly possible too; it could be anything binary-encodable, really. I just hope he's not encoding an entire universe this way, or we could be Waiting For It far beyond our natural lifetimes.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”