1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:41 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Sorry for my last two joke posts. It is an interesting idea. The hash data is random and looks very different to executable machine code. In theory it could be a compressed file but then we should see a header with the file type.

That header would be in the file name of the very first frame, which has been lost forever (or until Time restarts, starts looping or whatnot), wouldn't it?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:44 am UTC

fhorn wrote:
Spoiler:
guys! guys! Here's what JUST HAPPENED TO ME (in the Outside) and it's ALL YOUR FAULT. I never would have even noticed the "sent from outer space" on his/her email except you've got me trained to look at footnotes/sigs, and then, well, further silliness.
email exchange between anonymous delivery person and me:

We just need the apartment number please.
Sent from outer space.
(gives apt #) thank you! Whew, long delivery from outer space!!!
What can I say, I get around. ;-)
Sent from the left side of outer space
The left side, looking down from outer space? Or the left side, from looking up from earth? Just want to make sure I'm looking in the right, uh, correct direction.
Hmmm good question! Def from the outside of space looking down.
ooh, there you are! *waves*

Hats off (thank you, Buffygirl) to everyone for raising my consciousness and lowering my humor! or lowering my consciousness and raising my humor All this Waiting for it has done me good.

Drugs?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

truslack

Postby truslack » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:46 am UTC

Did anyone else get really excited when they saw LaPetite appear, and then a bit down-heartened when she wandered off again? :cry:
pdg wrote:THE SEA IS BIG!
Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to the Sea.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:49 am UTC

jovialbard wrote:Alsoso, she is a damn poet. Maybe I'll record some of her songs if I have time tomorrow night, tonight I must rehearse for a play, the out-time will not halt for the True Time.

Great idea! What play are you rehearsing for, btw?

Latent22 wrote:Just like the Wonderful Buffygirl I have made a hat for BlitzGirl!!

You'd best beware the wrath of Buffygirl!

Kieryn wrote:May the wait be well waited.
May the time be well slated.
Blitzgirl be elevated,
To the latest of pages.
Let us all be elated,
As be we caffeinated,
And hunger abated,
We watch time. Pixelated.

Oh and also... Just did this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXLY8TJJ4sw

FTFY. And the video is cool.

Angelastic wrote:Purplepants77 said that one of the haiku I found is from a Hendrix song, but I don't know Hendrix well enough to know which one. :oops:

And so castles made
of sand melts into the sea,
eventually...

ChronosDragon wrote:
tman2nd wrote:I wonder what a map of the world showing what cities followers of this thread live in would look like. Does anyone want to make this? To start, I live in Eugene, OR, USA.

So close! Redmond, WA, USA

This page and the other maps accessible from there may be of use in determining overall distribution.
And with that, I must coma. No more new characters while I'm out, y'hear? :)

I thought of this also. I'm in Santa Cruz, CA, US.

Smithers wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
azule wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Well, you can start a reply, save the draft, and then add to it later. But what I've been doing (I'm sure there's a much fancier (and easier) way to do it) is quote someone, type my reply with any formatting I want so the code is in there (by this point I know most of the code so could probably type it in by hand, but I'm afraid I mess it up), and start a TextEdit document. Then I go back to the post till the next time I want to add something. Like I said, I'm sure there's a more elegant way, but that seems to work.

Hum. *be nice* I open "Quote" in a new tab, and every time I find a new quote, repeat. Then I copy-paste that new tab into the first tab's text box. Rinse-repeat. Though, when you're in the quote box you can scroll down the page and see the previous posts, there when you click "quote" it gets added straight into the box. That works best with recent posts.]

You mean, you were going to not be nice? I said there was probably a better way, and I've already told you I'm not the geekiest person around. I would hope you be nice about correcting things. *pouts*

I didn't know you could open a quote in a new tab. So, now I know. Thanks.

Oh, now I feel bad. :( It was just that I noticed the similarity to an xkcd comic (which I can't be bothered to find) where a solution was found that a geeky geek would sorta cringe at (I didn't cringe, but I had an urge to help you so you didn't have to do that any more, lol). I'm glad you learned something new now. And, sorry.

Made me think of http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Classic-WTF-The-Indexer.aspx.

Hmm, maybe I can get a job at this place!

I can't find the post now, but someone somewhere asked me how the dialogue fits into my latest pregnancy theory. it doesn't really. As Mr. Voles says in "Stake Your Claim," "There's no possible way of answering that argument, I'm afraid. I was only hoping you would not make that particular point, but I can see you're more than a match for me!"

mandvannmaan, when I read your sigcouragement warning Blitzgirl about the tears, I thought it referred to water leaking from your eyes, then realized what you meant. You might want to change that so Blitzgirl doesn't think there's something terribly sad up ahead. Or maybe not.

And now, I have got to coma. I swore I wouldn't stay up late on the forum again. Damn! (Or dike!)

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:52 am UTC

Anyone else find it interesting that the latest What-if is, as far as I'm aware, the first piece he's done in quite a while to reference raptors, and also references the early Megan-spinning comic? Possibly gives some legitimacy to people's suggestions that similar references might be made in the OTC?

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:55 am UTC

truslack wrote:Did anyone else get really excited when they saw LaPetite appear, and then a bit down-heartened when she wandered off again? :cry:

A bit, yeah. Then again, knowing little French girls, a prolonged stay could have been disastrous for Megan or the Sandcastle. With their destructive little feet and existentialism and what not.
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:55 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:Unless there are dramatic changes in the rate of the rise in sea level, given the height of that new barrier we're going to be here for a long Time.

Yup.
Time_sea_level_rise_20130423_1000.png
Time_sea_level_rise_20130423_1000.png (4.92 KiB) Viewed 10090 times

This is the sea level rise since just after the Small Trebuchet Pan, just over 600 newpix ago. It has risen by about 16 pixels.
The new dyke (sic!) is about 12px high. So, assuming the long-term average sea rise remains constant (unlikely), and the structural integrity of the sea wall is sound (likely, given that sea wall 1.0 held until the water reached its top), it should take about 450 newpix until sea wall 2.0 breaches.

Edit: under the same assumptions, this
Spoiler:
vvn wrote:My Prediction for newpix 10,000:

Edit: Maybe off by a decimal point.

should already happen some time in the 6,000's.
Last edited by mscha on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:00 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:58 am UTC

mojacardave wrote:
silent_death wrote:To get back to something which was way too long ago (like 10-20 pages) - I finally finished the diagram I wanted to do, it shows the posts per Page for the Top20 Posters (up until page 360). The huge blue Chunk are all the others.
It does not look as nice as I hoped (maybe I should take the Top30 or Top40, at least that would make it more colorful) and it basically is a giant mess - wanted to share it anyway (sry for the huge picture)

It's very nice BUT the problem with a top20 is that there are too many colours. Looks pretty, but VERY hard to get any meaningful data from. Adding more people won't fix that. You'd almost be better off dropping it to the top 10 posters, grouping the forum pages into 10s, and removing the others category. It wouldn't look as pretty, but it'd contain data that had more value.

He hehehe "value"

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:01 am UTC

FONG:

The new dike is a bit steeper now.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:09 am UTC

I remember reading an article, it's probably about 20 years ago now, about an early experiment in which a guy hooked up a camera in his apartment to a local TV channel and let viewers control the camera by turns using phone-in commands.

At first, his theory was that "people will watch anything on television they have a chance of controlling". He soon revised this to "people will watch anything on television" as he found there were relatively huge numbers of people willing simply to tune in to the TV channel and watch others slowly panning the camera round an empty apartment.

He described this as the "sheer pull of narrative".

This comic is increasingly reminded me of that article - which I can't seem to manage to drag even from the depths of the internet.

Edited to add: no sooner posted than found. This is not the article I read, but this is the project. My guess of 20 years was not far off either :?
Last edited by Eutychus on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:10 am UTC

Flotter wrote:FONG:
Spoiler:

I wonder if she'll shape it. Another tower for the flag? Just as long as she doesnt spent ages on detailing like on the last one :) though that was very beautiful off course!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:23 am UTC

Eliram wrote:Meanwhile, this is what my kids did this afternoon:
http://instagram.com/p/YaN0NASFSI/

Is the girl wearing a baret?

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:23 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:Anyone else find it interesting that the latest What-if is, as far as I'm aware, the first piece he's done in quite a while to reference raptors, and also references the early Megan-spinning comic? Possibly gives some legitimacy to people's suggestions that similar references might be made in the OTC?

Umm, except for the part where it doesn't refer to raptors at all. Were you thinking of the Terminator bit, and raptor word problem #2, maybe?
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:26 am UTC

Flotter wrote:FONG:
Spoiler:

She tore down the bridge to build the NewDyke... I hope this doesn't turn into a case of destroying the castle in order to save it.

Off to face the Outside. Wait well while I'm gone!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:27 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:Anyone else find it interesting that the latest What-if is, as far as I'm aware, the first piece he's done in quite a while to reference raptors, and also references the early Megan-spinning comic? Possibly gives some legitimacy to people's suggestions that similar references might be made in the OTC?

Umm, except for the part where it doesn't refer to raptors at all. Were you thinking of the Terminator bit, and raptor word problem #2, maybe?

The fifth sunset diagram ('definitely not a sunset') references raptors; see the mouse-over. I'm not sure if you were implying otherwise, but I was looking at comic 162 as a separate reference.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:28 am UTC

KarMann wrote:

The reference is very well hidden, but the Alt-text of the Sun falling down, rolling a bit and then cracking open is: you bred sun-raptors?

EDIT: Ninja'd :(

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:31 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:
KarMann wrote:

The fifth sunset diagram ('definitely not a sunset') references raptors; see the mouse-over. I'm not sure if you were implying otherwise, but I was looking at comic 162 as a separate reference.

Oh! I actually had no idea What-Ifs ever used mouseover texts. Is that the egg one? That was my second guess about what you might have been thinking of.

Added: Oh damn, am I going to have to go re-read 42 What-Ifs now? But I need coma! :?
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:33 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:
KarMann wrote:

Oh! I actually had no idea What-Ifs ever used mouseover texts. Is that the egg one? That was my second guess about what you might have been thinking of.

Seems like you have a reason to BlitzGirl the What-If's! Not all the Alt-Texts are good though, mostly, they are just descriptions of the pictures.

EDIT: Man, even if the thread is going as slow as it does, I get ninja'd twice in a row :/
Last edited by manvandmaan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:34 am UTC

azule wrote:Woah, I thought .exe were compiled programs. I don't know enough about programming on the desktop to confirm though.

<rant> File extensions are uncontrolled. "exe" is interpreted by the OS as a file that runs, rather than one which calls some app to open it. But since the user can change extensions at will, any type of file can be given any TLE (three-letter extension, which doesn't have to be three letters long, e.g. 'epub' (which is really a 'zip' anyway) ), or have no extension at all. When said file extension doesn't match the file metadata (if any), the OS or the called app will complain. It's a stupid system. </rant>
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:34 am UTC

Y'all may want to check the images of older what-ifs as well, they all have mouse-over texts. This is xkcd, after all...

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:37 am UTC

airdrik wrote:
Spoiler:
Tass wrote:An updated visual of Blitzgirls progress.

Estimating the date of The Great Meeting is troublesome. The pace has slowed down continually. A linear fit predicts unrealistically close meeting Times, while a quadratic fit predicts a continued slowdown leading to a closest approach of 20 NewPages happening around NewPage 500 Blitzgirl Time, after which she is projected to drop further behind again.

Perhaps this will be her fate, and Blitzgirl will remain forever beyond our reach after having come so close.

Instead of plotting Blitzgirl's pages read vs. total pages per page, you should plot pages to be read per page (i.e. the distance from the Blitzgirl plot points and the forum page line). This should result in the plot points (pages behind) approaching 0. I imagine that it should be easier1 to find a fitting (non-)curve and project when Blitzgirl reaches the present

1 easier of course being relative and highly dependent on our posting rate vs. Blitzgirl's reading rate2
2 perhaps it might help to plot forum posts/day vs. blitzgirl's posts read/day, extrapolate the rates going forward3 and use that to project when she reaches the present.
3 which of course are highly dependent on time of daya, day of weekb, and amount of noteworthinessc in the One True Comic
a can be ignoredI by doing per-day aggregations
b probably not that much deviation to be concerned with, or whatever deviation is predictable enough.
c we can but speculate about how much noteworthiness and hence extra chatter the One True Comic will generate

I ignored isn't quite the word I'm looking for. If someone could find it for me, I'd appreciate it.

Ameliorated

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

MONOPHTONGgggggg
manually posted

Seawall done. What shall we do now?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
azule wrote:Woah, I thought .exe were compiled programs. I don't know enough about programming on the desktop to confirm though.

<rant> File extensions are uncontrolled. "exe" is interpreted by the OS as a file that runs, rather than one which calls some app to open it. But since the user can change extensions at will, any type of file can be given any TLE (three-letter extension, which doesn't have to be three letters long, e.g. 'epub' (which is really a 'zip' anyway) ), or have no extension at all. When said file extension doesn't match the file metadata (if any), the OS or the called app will complain. It's a stupid system. </rant>

and then, occasionally, you get a file whose extension is flat wrong, the OS can't figure out what program to use to open it, and it sits, unused. lucklily, most of these are viruses made by idiots, but still, I agree there should be some standardization.
{edit} post 150! Woot!
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Quilbert

Postby Quilbert » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

I thought the sea level might be a measure for Insider Time (Comic World Time), but that seems not to be the case entirely:

xkcdtime-sealevel.png

kryton

Postby kryton » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

CatHectic wrote:Haiku and markov chains and everything else = awesome!

I was googling some lyrics earlier (to make sure I had the right song) and came across this eerie reference to sand and time, had to share:

Twilight Zone, Season 1, Episode 7: The Lonely

[Opening Narration] Witness if you will a dungeon, made out of mountains, salt flats and sand that stretch to infinity. The dungeon has an inmate: James A. Corry. And this is his residence: a metal shack. An old touring car that squats in the sun and goes nowhere - for there is nowhere to go. For the record let it be known that James A. Corry is a convicted criminal placed in solitary confinement. Confinement in this case stretches as far as the eye can see, because this particular dungeon is on an asteroid nine million miles from the Earth. Now witness if you will a man's mind and body shriveling in the sun, a man dying of loneliness.

[Closing Narration] On a microscopic piece of sand that floats through space is a fragment of a man's life. Left to rust is the place he lived in and the machines he used. Without use, they will disintegrate from the wind and the sand and the years that act upon them. All of Mr. Corry's machines, including the one made in his image, kept alive by love, but now obsolete - in The Twilight Zone.

Anyone else remember this episode?

Yes, in fact, I do indeed.
1298 and counting

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

Plong
Last edited by Jafloi on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

BRONG:
Spoiler:

Is she gone or just hidden?

Semi-ninja'd

Drakeesh

Postby Drakeesh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

Wow I sure missed a lot during that Coma, Thanks be to Megan for saving the Right Flag!

However, now that the Right Flag is no longer the Right Flag, I shall need a new Knightly Title. What are your thoughts, o great members of the Knights Temporal?

"Defender of the Third Flag From the Right, Formerly the Right Flag"?
"Defender of the Flag Closest to the Central Mass"?

Edit(1,2,3,4) to add suggestions:
"Defender of the Towerless flag"
"I Failed, but not completely" (Paraphrased)
"Defender of the Wholly Threatened Flags (WTF)"
"Keeper of the shards of the shattered Right tower"
Last edited by Drakeesh on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:25 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Sir Aheem, Defender of the Former Right Flag, Keeper of the Shards of the Shattered Right Tower

Swein

Postby Swein » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

After long a waiting for it, I decided to fill my waiting with the list.
To not to wait to post to it, but promptly post a posting to the list.

And now my state has changed to wait.
I was waiting to post in a post waiting state,
then I posted to enter a post post waiting state.

But alas! My post has to be accepted.
My wait is not over, my state change is rejected.
My state is an indefinite pre post post waiting, while my post is to surveillance subjected.

-- Sorry for some real bad poetry there :mrgreen: --

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:Is she gone or just hidden?

If you look at the last three newpix, she's probably behind (or in front of, how would we see the difference?) Recursivestein.
Or maybe that's just wishful thinking, and I'm afraid the alternative is a bunch on newpix without change (apart from a subpixel sea level here and there).
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

Drakeesh wrote:Wow I sure missed a lot during that Coma, Thanks be to Megan for saving the Right Flag!

However, now that the Right Flag is no longer the Right Flag, I shall need a new Knightly Title. What are your thoughts, o great members of the Knights Temporal?

Defender of the Towerless flag?
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

Drakeesh wrote:Wow I sure missed a lot during that Coma, Thanks be to Megan for saving the Right Flag!

I say you failed your task ;)

[edit]
Though the flag has been recovered, it is not lost forever, which is a good thing.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:

[edit]
Though the flag has been recovered, it is not lost forever, which is a good thing.

As a Knight Temporal, he did everything he is allowed by the creed1. So actually, he did a pretty good job! He lived by the creed and the flag is still safe! Give that man a medal! albeit a small one, since Megan did most of the work.

1Nothing.
Last edited by manvandmaan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
Drakeesh wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Valarya wrote:<snip>

kryton wrote:Perhaps Petite doesn't like the name we gave her and that's why she is leaving?

....based on what LaPetite Mort means, I don't blame her. It's super creepy to call her a KID and use that name in the same breath. Haha, gods.

wait...LaPetite Mort... is she related to the Mort who apprenticed under Death?

<snipping blah blah discworld stuff....>
<...and vexillographic rescue techniques>

I hope you all are pointededly missing the point (??). Kid + that name = so so so wrong.

Who (before you) ever called her LaPetite Mort? We were just calling her "little (french chick)" Generally, I've noticed,though, adding "Death" to ANY name makes it just a tad bit creepier. Especially so in this case... But yeah, If she really was named "LaPetite Mort", then wouldn't it be more apropos for an orgasm-girl have come from the right side of the scene, from the coffeesemencancerbabiesea? Oooh, like Venus arising from the forthy semensea foam of the castrated Uranus! Is LaPetite an avatar of Venus?
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

Edit to add suggestions:

Defender of the Wholly Threatened Flags (WTF)
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:

[edit]

It's obvious what you need to do now. keep the shards of the shattered sand tower, until they can be reformed into a sword capable of striking fear into the heart of Sauron the Hat itself.
“have i gone mad?

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:First to post is cannon! Muahahaha, a rule for chaos!

Cannon? Or is that trebuchet? (I think you meant "canon"...) ;-)
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:

Edit to add suggestions:

Defender of the Wholly Threatened Flags (WTF)

Or:
-Defender of the [Insert Current Location Here] Flag?
-Defender of that one flag that first was the most right flag but now is the second from the right flag because it had to be moved as the rising water had destroyed the tower it was first planted on.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

VoronX wrote:
jovialbard wrote:First to post is cannon! Muahahaha, a rule for chaos!

Cannon? Or is that trebuchet? (I think you meant "canon"...) ;-)

According to use in this thread, He meant cannon, should have meant Trebuchet,(pronounced treebucket) and requires safety gear(Helmet and kneepads).
“have i gone mad?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:As I was getting ready for work today, I was pondering a dream I had about posting in the forum (really!),and came up with a new whole new interpretation of the old theory about Megan being pregnan. Hear me out. At the beginning, M and C were "fooling around" in the sand, just having a good time. At the end, C leaves, saying, "It's been fun!" (Typical male.*)

But Megan keeps on building (gestating). At some point they both realize that M is creating something big, and C comes back to help (thought M is still doing most of the work.) But then C leaves. Did he get scared off by impending fatherhood? Is he off at Ikea getting supplies to build a nursery?

Meanwhile, M finally tires and takes a nap. During the nap, she dreams of/is visited by the teenage version of her not-yet-born daughter (anyone remember that episode of Northern Exposure?), who for some reason is French. Or maybe just likes berets. The dream child disappears when M is awakened by the castle falling, which of course is a symbol of her water breaking. This is where my interpretation breaks down a bit (because up till now it was unquestionably correct), since I don't think most women would just stand there after their water broke.

Anyway, that's my theory. I better hurry up and post it before the newpix proves me wrong. (Or WRONG!)

* There are of course many males who are not like this, so maybe I should say stereotypical male.

I think her water broke when the little damn/dyke/waterline marker broke.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”