1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

richP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby richP » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Or there will be recursive flooding, with infinite dikes.

Recursive Flooding was a good album, but I've been listening to Infinite Dikes since their first album, "Neverending Dutch Boys"

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
airdrik wrote:
Spoiler:
Tass wrote:An updated visual of Blitzgirls progress.

Estimating the date of The Great Meeting is troublesome. The pace has slowed down continually. A linear fit predicts unrealistically close meeting Times, while a quadratic fit predicts a continued slowdown leading to a closest approach of 20 NewPages happening around NewPage 500 Blitzgirl Time, after which she is projected to drop further behind again.

Perhaps this will be her fate, and Blitzgirl will remain forever beyond our reach after having come so close.

Instead of plotting Blitzgirl's pages read vs. total pages per page, you should plot pages to be read per page (i.e. the distance from the Blitzgirl plot points and the forum page line). This should result in the plot points (pages behind) approaching 0. I imagine that it should be easier1 to find a fitting (non-)curve and project when Blitzgirl reaches the present

1 easier of course being relative and highly dependent on our posting rate vs. Blitzgirl's reading rate2
2 perhaps it might help to plot forum posts/day vs. blitzgirl's posts read/day, extrapolate the rates going forward3 and use that to project when she reaches the present.
3 which of course are highly dependent on time of daya, day of weekb, and amount of noteworthinessc in the One True Comic
a can be ignoredI by doing per-day aggregations
b probably not that much deviation to be concerned with, or whatever deviation is predictable enough.
c we can but speculate about how much noteworthiness and hence extra chatter the One True Comic will generate

I ignored isn't quite the word I'm looking for. If someone could find it for me, I'd appreciate it.

Ameliorated

I'm not sure that's the correct word either. something more akin to "made irrelevant", "can be glossed/smoothed over".
Upon looking in a dictionary (which I should have done the first time, but I was just being lazy) a better word would be disregarded or dismissed.

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

Time spelled backward is "Emit"!

Just sayin'.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

Bong, dong, or whatever, but I don't have the http-fu to post the newpix. Cueball kneels on the mound.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

SCHLONG? I couldn't help it. Sorry.

I feel extreme relief that Robball is back.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

Staring out at the Sea again?
I anticipate dialogue.
Last edited by tman2nd on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
Exodies wrote:
airdrik wrote:
Spoiler:

Estimating the date of The Great Meeting is troublesome. The pace has slowed down continually. A linear fit predicts unrealistically close meeting Times, while a quadratic fit predicts a continued slowdown leading to a closest approach of 20 NewPages happening around NewPage 500 Blitzgirl Time, after which she is projected to drop further behind again.

Perhaps this will be her fate, and Blitzgirl will remain forever beyond our reach after having come so close.

Instead of plotting Blitzgirl's pages read vs. total pages per page, you should plot pages to be read per page (i.e. the distance from the Blitzgirl plot points and the forum page line). This should result in the plot points (pages behind) approaching 0. I imagine that it should be easier1 to find a fitting (non-)curve and project when Blitzgirl reaches the present

1 easier of course being relative and highly dependent on our posting rate vs. Blitzgirl's reading rate2
2 perhaps it might help to plot forum posts/day vs. blitzgirl's posts read/day, extrapolate the rates going forward3 and use that to project when she reaches the present.
3 which of course are highly dependent on time of daya, day of weekb, and amount of noteworthinessc in the One True Comic
b probably not that much deviation to be concerned with, or whatever deviation is predictable enough.
c we can but speculate about how much noteworthiness and hence extra chatter the One True Comic will generate

I ignored isn't quite the word I'm looking for. If someone could find it for me, I'd appreciate it.

Ameliorated

I'm not sure that's the correct word either. something more akin to "made irrelevant", "can be glossed/smoothed over".
Upon looking in a dictionary (which I should have done the first time, but I was just being lazy) a better word would be disregarded or dismissed.

Disrelevantated.
Last edited by azule on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

Ok yep. They're totally about to say some confusing stuff about water levels, seas, rivers and the average rainfall in Peru.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

Is it just me or is cueball standing on top of the water. He seems to be about the same height as megan and their legs seem to be stretching about as long.

edit: on second look I think it's because her head is tilted downward.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

MSN NewsBlogs is watching us?
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

tman2nd wrote:MSN NewsBlogs is watching us?

Whatchu talking 'bout, Willis?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
Exodies wrote:
airdrik wrote:
Spoiler:

Ameliorated

obviated
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
Maybe the title of the OTC was a typo, and Randall meant to name it "Tide".

Which just makes me want to repeat "Time and Tide wait for no man." And here we are, Wait[ing] for [both of them]
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:39 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:SCHLONG? I couldn't help it. Sorry.

You and a few other people throughout time. It's ok, it's a classic.

azule wrote:
airdrik wrote:
Exodies wrote:
airdrik wrote:
Spoiler:

Ameliorated

Disrelevantated.

Ameliorated means to make something better. Obviously, disrelevantated is the correct term.

OK, I have a couple of NewPages to catch up on, plus some Outside work to do (probably in that order), but I just wanted to share this. I never have time in the morning to get online since I'm always running late, so this morning as I'm getting ready for work, I found myself worrying about Cueball. What's happened to him? Where did he go? What's going on? First thing when I get to work, I check out Time and my reaction was, "Yay!!! Cueball's back!" I mean, I was really excited to see him.

I don't think that's normal, is it?

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

enumerated powers wrote:I took a little liberty with Patzer's avatar...

Hmmm... "To order another Moebius strip, see instructions on other side" ?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:OK, I have a couple of NewPages to catch up on, plus some Outside work to do (probably in that order), but I just wanted to share this. I never have time in the morning to get online since I'm always running late, so this morning as I'm getting ready for work, I found myself worrying about Cueball. What's happened to him? Where did he go? What's going on? First thing when I get to work, I check out Time and my reaction was, "Yay!!! Cueball's back!" I mean, I was really excited to see him.

No, not at all. The rest of us would have checked from home. Can't be driving to work with Cueball on our minds, it isn't safe.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

SBN wrote:obviated

This. No idea whether it's the best word in the original context, but I like it much.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
enumerated powers wrote:I took a little liberty with Patzer's avatar...

Hmmm... "To order another Moebius strip, see instructions on other side" ?

Made my day.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:OK, I have a couple of NewPages to catch up on, plus some Outside work to do (probably in that order), but I just wanted to share this. I never have time in the morning to get online since I'm always running late, so this morning as I'm getting ready for work, I found myself worrying about Cueball. What's happened to him? Where did he go? What's going on? First thing when I get to work, I check out Time and my reaction was, "Yay!!! Cueball's back!" I mean, I was really excited to see him.

It is tempormal. [temp[oral]+[n]ormal]

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:
vvn wrote:
azule wrote:Woah, I thought .exe were compiled programs. I don't know enough about programming on the desktop to confirm though.

A compiler puts together proper executable programs. Doesn't mean that there is no other way to generate an executable.

I would never have thought of the hashes being executable. But, if they were an executable program, I would change the hex to raw data, and then try it as an executable in Linux, Windows and OSX.

If Randall generated an executable, and then cut it into pieces, giving us a piece at a time in the hash. That would be awesome. We wouldn't have the full program until the end of Time. It would be a small program, or a long Time. If I were Randall I would figure nobody would EVER think of that. I certainly never would. Kudos for the idea. But, I think it's very unlikely.

Sorry for my last two joke posts. It is an interesting idea. The hash data is random and looks very different to executable machine code. In theory it could be a compressed file but then we should see a header with the file type.

Yeah, you're right, my fantasy was too improbable. But wait, what if the header is in the final Frames and all the missing zeros (real code has more 0 in it than the hashes do) have been compressed to make digital caffeinatedsemencancerbabies granules and are hidden in some undiscovered algorithmic way around the castle?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

Some Ways to Time

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

Flado wrote:

This. No idea whether it's the best word in the original context, but I like it much.

That is the best word in the original context, thanks SBN.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Sitting on the seawall?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Arther wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Sorry for my last two joke posts. It is an interesting idea. The hash data is random and looks very different to executable machine code. In theory it could be a compressed file but then we should see a header with the file type.

If there is meaning to the hashes I'd expect them to be released in reverse order, so any easily identifiable header etc only appears at the very end of time.

I'm ninja'd

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
Flado wrote:

You're quite welcome. Happens to be one of my personal favorite words. (Everyone has those, right? Right?)

Some Ways to Time

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

Drakeesh wrote:
Spoiler:
Wow I sure missed a lot during that Coma, Thanks be to Megan for saving the Right Flag!

However, now that the Right Flag is no longer the Right Flag, I shall need a new Knightly Title. What are your thoughts, o great members of the Knights Temporal?

"Defender of the Third Flag From the Right, Formerly the Right Flag"?
"Defender of the Flag Closest to the Central Mass"?

Edit(1,2,3,4) to add suggestions:
"Defender of the Towerless flag"
"I Failed, but not completely" (Paraphrased)
"Defender of the Wholly Threatened Flags (WTF)"
"Keeper of the shards of the shattered Right tower"

Defender of the Flag Formerly Known as Right

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

VoronX wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
Drakeesh wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Valarya wrote:<snip>

kryton wrote:Perhaps Petite doesn't like the name we gave her and that's why she is leaving?

....based on what LaPetite Mort means, I don't blame her. It's super creepy to call her a KID and use that name in the same breath. Haha, gods.

wait...LaPetite Mort... is she related to the Mort who apprenticed under Death?

<snipping blah blah discworld stuff....>
<...and vexillographic rescue techniques>

I hope you all are pointededly missing the point (??). Kid + that name = so so so wrong.

Who (before you) ever called her LaPetite Mort? We were just calling her "little (french chick)" Generally, I've noticed,though, adding "Death" to ANY name makes it just a tad bit creepier. Especially so in this case... But yeah, If she really was named "LaPetite Mort", then wouldn't it be more apropos for an orgasm-girl have come from the right side of the scene, from the coffeesemencancerbabiesea? Oooh, like Venus arising from the forthy semensea foam of the castrated Uranus! Is LaPetite an avatar of Venus?

Maybe her surname is Mome.

Montov

Postby Montov » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Sitting on the seawall?

Selling seashells, I suspect.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

On my iPhone ... Can anyone tell me the equiv of ctrl-home and ctrl-end? I am so sick of scrolling ... Thank you!!
(It's a 4s or whatever they named the 4.5 thingy.)

SWO Crash

Postby SWO Crash » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

Montov wrote:

Surreptitiously scanning for seepage?
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.

Husband, Father, Sailor, Son.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:On my iPhone ... Can anyone tell me the equiv of ctrl-home and ctrl-end? I am so sick of scrolling ... Thank you!!

Yeah, simple. It's swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe

htom

Postby htom » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

SWO Crash wrote:
Montov wrote:

Surreptitiously scanning for seepage?

Being lectured because of the previous dike's failure?
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
buffygirl wrote:On my iPhone ... Can anyone tell me the equiv of ctrl-home and ctrl-end? I am so sick of scrolling ... Thank you!!

Yeah, simple. It's swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe

I don't think there's a 'jump to bottom' option. But there is a 'top of page' button on each post on this forum, and you can also scroll to the top of any page by tapping the bar at the top of the screen (the black strip that displays the time).

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
airdrik wrote:
Flado wrote:

You're quite welcome. Happens to be one of my personal favorite words. (Everyone has those, right? Right?)

"Callipygian" is mine.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

htom

Postby htom » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:

I'll guess, scroll with three or four fingers.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Dialogue!!
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Montov

Postby Montov » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

It is unstoppable! Like diarrhea. Which explains everything so far.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Maybe the title of the OTC was a typo, and Randall meant to name it "Tide".

Which just makes me want to repeat "Time and Tide wait for no man." And here we are, Wait[ing] for [both of them]

Well, that's why the saying isn't "No man waits for Time and Tide."

jovialbard wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
jovialbard wrote:Alsoso, she is a damn poet. Maybe I'll record some of her songs if I have time tomorrow night, tonight I must rehearse for a play, the out-time will not halt for the True Time.

Great idea! What play are you rehearsing for, btw?

25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (as Panch)

Cool! I don't know that show at all. Someone did it in town recently, but I didn't have a chance to see it.

jovialbard wrote:I could barely sleep last night thinking about my project for this evening (aka ~9 longpix from now). I was thinking of doing the Buble song but I realized it was from her perspective so instead I decided to write my own. :D It's been a while since I've messed around with video editing though. If I succeed I'll be sure not to tell anyone on this thread how I did it, to minimize facepalmage.

Hah!

cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:

cmyk does it again!

silent_death wrote:
Montov wrote:Finally, a guy to the rescue.

Yeah, 'cause that's always helpful.

And yay, the silence is broken!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:Image

Dialogue!!

Called it.

Kieryn wrote:Ok yep. They're totally about to say some confusing stuff about water levels, seas, rivers and the average rainfall in Peru.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
SBN wrote:
airdrik wrote:
Flado wrote:

"Callipygian" is mine.

Wow. I might have a new favorite word.

Everyone should have favorite words.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”