1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Quest progress: 355 out of 393 pages.
The Next Level. NP 704.

Signposts passed:
295 out of 354 pages
305 out of 355 pages

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 305 out of 355 pages.
The Observation/Observed Platform. NP 560.
BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 223 out of 303 pages.
The Architect Age. NP 342.
Foarm wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Alas, I came to this thread hundreds of newpix after the Beginning of Time. As penitence for my lateness and as a demonstration of my devotion I have set out on a quest to read every page of the One True Thread, like the noble Beidah long before me.

Quest progress: 77 out of 223 pages.
The Populated Period of Expansion. NP 156.

I send forth this message now in the fervent hope that I shall encounter it again on my journey, tangled in the thread of Time.

All congratulations to BlitzGirl, for reading another 146 pages and reaching this point. Success on the remaining pages.

At last! I have spotted the initial signpost I left for myself, when I first began my travels. And an encouraging message from Foarm, for which I am grateful. There are still many newpages to go, looming ahead like strange structures on the sand. But now I have passed the first marker. Henceforth, I follow my own breadcrumbs forward into the future, though they were left by myself in the past. The thread of Time is a strange and wonderful place, my friends. I would say that Time has no meaning here, were not the exact opposite true.

Onward!

At last! I have spotted the signpost that spotted the initial signpost I left for myself when first I began my travels. Which means all signposts I hereafter encounter shall be 2 layers deep. Wish me luck, compatriots in Time!

At last! I have spotted the signpost that spotted the signpost that spotted the initial signpost I left for myself when first I began my travels. Which means all signposts I hereafter encounter shall be 3 layers deep. And my current travels constitute a fourth layer of signposts, though I have abandoned direct signpost-quotes (for the most part).

As Megan and Cueball use their bukkit-system to deliver new construction material to the Next Level of the Sandcastle, the thread of Time meanders along. More brief panic, it seems, when the fora were inaccessible (the horror!) and I also squelched through some rot13. Apparently someone tried to make me part of the Temporal Illuminati, but I believe reading it ALL lends me some kind of exempt-status when it comes to translation traps (I have no choice but to translate, after all). Plus I have the Whistle of Temporal Harmony right now, so I don't think it's technically possible to be at temporal secret-war with myself.

Awesome sigcouragement from XonqNopp:
XonqNopp wrote:Official supporter of BlitzGirl :)

Some pastposts I perused:
Spoiler:
Eternal Density wrote:Hi BlitzGirl! I just discovered that my first post in the thead only barely preceded yours, and your latest progress update followed very soon after this news. I find it amusing that your posts are recursing as you catch up to your own posts, like unto the manner of the <material>castles. So I figured I should say 'hi' and 'hang in there!' :D
I hope you found my Towering Pillar of Hats amusing (and the fact that I was appointed temporary Pope because of it - a station which may or may not be over by the time I finish writing this post).
If I remember correctly, the hats involved are: blue wool knitted beanie (grandma-knitted), headcrab hat from the valve store, leather hat from Byron Bay Tasmania (BC brand), Stark Industries beanie from Iron Man 2, black FAIL cap from failblog, tour company cap from Israel (I can't actually see that one, the brim must be on the other side), 2015 lenticular rainbow cap from BTTF online store, and graduation cap.

Hi! *stares in awe at the Towering Pillar of Hats* *tilts head* But why is it upside down? Isn't that more like a Dangling Stalactite of Hats?

Valiant Cookie, April 19th edit wrote:EDIT: AHA! I return to read the NewPages and find that some forum sorcery bumped me into Pope For A Page! Alas the time to abuse my power has past for those in the present present. I content myself with a message for the future presents of Blitzgirl and others who traverse this needle pulled thingy. As Pope I bestow unto anyone that reads these words as they follow the flow of time towards the future, the position of Archbishop of the Past. You may accept this title and use it's power with a message to your current future, however you must relinquish this title as soon as you reach the most future present, or as soon as you see a post from someone else accepting the title that is after your post accepting the title.

Okay, I'm saying right here in this signpost that I'm accepting this title in the hope that I can give it up when I read this signpost in the thread. If not before! *adds title to list*

KarMann wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.

You can say that again! *dutifully adds more titles*

Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.

You can say that again! I'm still getting them!

Bytes wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:And away I go into the future!

I think that should be 'And away I go, forward into the past!'

Keep going Blitz girl, you're definitely catching up!

And away I go, forward into your past, which is my future!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

Build higher! You have to stay above the water!
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

Shoot, I coulda been pope if only this was several NewPages ago...

Buffyirl, I haven't asked before because I didn't think I had done anything hat-worthy. But soon I'll have reached my 100th post, and I was wondering if that was sufficient to receive a hat. (As your millinery schedule allows, of course.) Since I'm getting beads and saying "Woooo!," then something in a Mardi Gras vein might be appropriate,b ut I would gratefully accept whatever Your Hatliness chooses to bestow.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

descor

Postby descor » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

You know, this could be a cryptic message from Lord Randall about the future of the OTC ...
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:As Megan and Cueball use their bukkit-system to deliver new construction material to the Next Level of the Sandcastle, the thread of Time meanders along. More brief panic, it seems, when the fora were inaccessible (the horror!) and I also squelched through some rot13. Apparently someone tried to make me part of the Temporal Illuminati, but I believe reading it ALL lends me some kind of exempt-status when it comes to translation traps (I have no choice but to translate, after all). Plus I have the Whistle of Temporal Harmony right now, so I don't think it's technically possible to be at temporal secret-war with myself.
Haha! Little does she know, at least at the moment, that she has already joined the Temporal Illuminati (who don't exist) by accepting the title of "Red Spiders Eyes"!

Plus, the Temporal Illuminati (if they existed) are actually content to watch time go by and aren't really at war with anyone. (Plus at this point I'm sure most of the Temporal Knights are members(Although, not really because it doesn't exist(really, it doesn't(Promise)))).
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Latent22 wrote:BlitzGirl!!!!! I have a hat for you. If you wear it your future will be most awesome!

But...
I LIKE MY HAT.

Don't you mean, you like BHG's hat?

cmyk wrote:I predict some more dialog in the next Newpix or three.

OK, ChronosDragon, time to give up your prognostication award; it's cmyk's turn with it now.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

SWO Crash

Postby SWO Crash » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:

OK, ChronosDragon, time to give up your prognostication award; it's cmyk's turn with it now.

cymk? or Kieryn?

Kieryn wrote:Called it.
Kieryn wrote:Ok yep. They're totally about to say some confusing stuff about water levels, seas, rivers and the average rainfall in Peru.

Maybe a College of Multi-Theistic Prognostic Cardinals?
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.

Husband, Father, Sailor, Son.

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Ploinoninong!

The sea is bigGreat!
Last edited by Jafloi on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

SBN wrote: (Everyone has those, right? Right?)

I cannot list favourite words, but I do like some words much more than others, almost independent of the language. Then there's the words I hate, the embarrassing words, and so on. Pretty normal, I suppose ;-)
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

Jafloi wrote:Ploinoninong!
Spoiler:

"It can do whatever it wants. It's the sea."

Does that mean the sea has gained sentience?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

speising

Postby speising » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
Added: Oh damn, am I going to have to go re-read 42 What-Ifs now? But I need coma! :?

since *some* browsers don't allow natively viewing alt-texts, i have just written a bookmarklet to reveal them:

Code: Select all

javascript:(function(){var D=document,i,f,j,e;for(i=0;f=D.images[i];++i)if(f.title!=""){var x=D.createElement("div"),s=x.style;s.color="Black ";s.background="yellow ";x.innerHTML=f.title;f.parentNode.insertBefore(x,f.nextSibling);}})();

just insert that code into a bookmark and select for displaying all image titles on a page.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

SWO Crash wrote:
KarMann wrote:

cymk? or Kieryn?

Kieryn wrote:Ok yep. They're totally about to say some confusing stuff about water levels, seas, rivers and the average rainfall in Peru.

I will also note, that I prophesized that the far-right bridge would befall some disaster other than the water rising, before Megan started demolishing it :)
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

42isall

Postby 42isall » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

I was moved to make this for whatever reason. I feel it is the logical response.
Attachments
31662993a5ac3bdca6f54531285606cdb6225de4f65cfa1d73260324b9ac143d.png

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

SBN wrote:You're quite welcome. Happens to be one of my personal favorite words. (Everyone has those, right? Right?)

Penultimate (sounds like better than ultimate, but it's actually one less),
bifurcate (sounds like 2-fork),
iridescent (sounds bright),
redolent (sounds bad but it's good),
prescient (sounds like precious),
etc (et cetera, et cetera, et cetera).

I then have a favorite of the day. Today's is: obfuscate (this is what Randall might be doing with his frames and computer code).

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

SWO Crash wrote:
KarMann wrote:

cymk? or Kieryn?

cmyk beat Kieryn by two NewPices, I believe. Although I wouldn't object to some form of group award.
Added: And it just happened to be that "three" that he mentioned, even if as a disjunctive alternative. Bonus points for that.
Last edited by KarMann on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

descor

Postby descor » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

speising wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Added: Oh damn, am I going to have to go re-read 42 What-Ifs now? But I need coma! :?

since *some* browsers don't allow natively viewing alt-texts, i have just written a bookmarklet to reveal them:

Code: Select all

javascript:(function(){var D=document,i,f,j,e;for(i=0;f=D.images[i];++i)if(f.title!=""){var x=D.createElement("div"),s=x.style;s.color="Black ";s.background="yellow ";x.innerHTML=f.title;f.parentNode.insertBefore(x,f.nextSibling);}})();

just insert that code into a bookmark and select for displaying all image titles on a page.

Oh GodRandall, that is awesome. Thank you so much! (I'm not a coder so as far as I'm concerned this is magic!)
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

SWO Crash

Postby SWO Crash » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
SWO Crash wrote:Maybe a College of Multi-Theistic Prognostic Cardinals?
I will also note, that I prophesized that the far-right bridge would befall some disaster other than the water rising, before Megan started demolishing it :)

Thus making the CMTPC a more viable option! :D

KarMann wrote:cmyk beat Kieryn by two NewPices, I believe. Although I wouldn't object to some form of group award.

I'm not a Cardinal or anything (just a lowly observer of Time); am I allowed to nominate this?
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.

Husband, Father, Sailor, Son.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

Jafloi wrote:
Spoiler:
Ploinoninong!

The sea is bigGreat!

This feels even more like a commentary on this thread and his creative work. The river, which is small (edit: comparatively), is his capacity to produce creative work, and the sea, which is big and can do whatever it wants, is this thread. Not sure where that puts cueball and megan.

I still think it could be about the inevitability of universal heat death though :wink:
Last edited by jovialbard on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:19 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

Believe it or not, I do believe that even at this late date, I've come up with a new theory for what substance constitutes the sea to the right.

It's clearly the blood from the scantron operator in #499.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

Watching videos at 2.6x speed sure does save a lot of time... more time for waiting! yay!
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
enumerated powers wrote:I took a little liberty with Patzer's avatar...

Hmmm... "To order another Moebius strip, see instructions on other side" ?

Several years ago I actually bought a sliced Klein bottle and labelled the inside and outside with two Möbius strips (each of which had 'inside' written on one side and 'outside' written on one side.)

Alas, that Klein bottle later fell off a table and became embedded in three dimensions.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

benjaminswill

Postby benjaminswill » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Just wanted to pop in to say this is my favorite at the moment - "It can do whatever it wants. It's the sea," fantastic.

Wait for it.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Shoot, I coulda been pope if only this was several NewPages ago...

Buffyirl, I haven't asked before because I didn't think I had done anything hat-worthy. But soon I'll have reached my 100th post, and I was wondering if that was sufficient to receive a hat. (As your millinery schedule allows, of course.) Since I'm getting beads and saying "Woooo!," then something in a Mardi Gras vein might be appropriate,b ut I would gratefully accept whatever Your Hatliness chooses to bestow.

Added to the queue!

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

Anyone here play guitar, that would also be a helpful contribution to my little project for the evening. I could always steal re-purpose something from youtube, but that would make me feel guilty. Of course the other option is doing without, but so far it's been like a happy little artistic mathematical nerd(?) commune around here, so I thought I'd ask.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
ggh wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:Start with cups, then bricks (LEGO Primo or sth. like that). It's less messy, but much noisier ==> More fun.

Cups! I bet we could do that now - Thanks!
Gonna go coma - tomorrow: cups!

e.g. http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Years-S ... 00005C5H4/ - go :)

Went! :)
I wasn't going to bore you with my toy purchases, but I can't resist.
I couldn't order these cups from Amazon, because they wouldn't ship them to New Zealand, so we went to a toy store yesterday, and found these:
Spoiler:
tolo.jpg

So we bought them, and look what they're also good for:
Spoiler:
toloSide.jpg

I had a wee chuckle. :)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

42isall wrote:I was moved to make this for whatever reason. I feel it is the logical response.
Spoiler:

Love this!

And thank you all for the tips re: top and bottom1. The multiple-finger swipe does not work in either direction for me, but tapping the black band at the top does, indeed, get me to the top. Still can't get on to the bottom.

1heh

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
Jafloi wrote:
Spoiler:
Ploinoninong!

The sea is bigGreat!

This feels even more like a commentary on this thread and his creative work. The river, which is small (edit: comparatively), is his capacity to produce creative work, and the sea, which is big and can do whatever it wants, is this thread. Not sure where that puts cueball and megan.

I still think it could be about the inevitability of universal heat death though :wink:

Might actually make sense...? And Megan and Cueball is just...there? Between the river and the sea? in a way? Maybe?

[Edit:] Just have to add one more time how much I love the hat! Thanks again, Buffygirl!
[Edit10:] wohoo!! 1000000 posts! yippiayea!! :D :D
Last edited by Jafloi on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Shoot, I coulda been pope if only this was several NewPages ago...

Added to the queue!

Yay!! (And this brings me one post closer to NewHat glory!)

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

BINTURONGgggg...
Edit: A reason for everything? They wish... (Well, maybe in their universe.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

Huh. They don't know about the tide. ... That may have been obvious a while ago, but I think it is sure now.
Spoiler:
Unless of course the seminatedcoffeecancerbabies sea demands a sacrifice to stop the apocalypse of the known world...

Imagine how excited they will be when they see the sea going down.

EDIT: Blitzgirl, hurry! The future is in disarray!!!

Here, take these! *Gives Blitzgirl Shoes of the High Timewalker, gives +200 to waiting*

...Don't ask how I got those.
Last edited by EraObserver on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
*Insert witty comment*

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

"Reason for everything". Okay, come on! Isn't it obvious by now that the water rise, or maybe everything in the entire comic is linked to itself or perhaps some external process, probably also to this thread???

There have been hints of this throughout, and it's totally Randall's style... It's just a matter of Time before someone, somewhere figures out the code.

All hands on science, modeling, data-mining, simulation, analysis, meta-analysis and meta-meta-meta-meta -- it is our duty!
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

...And while you are discussing serious matters: happy st. Georges day! Be prepared! ...to wait for it!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:Anyone here play guitar, that would also be a helpful contribution to my little project for the evening. I could always steal re-purpose something from youtube, but that would make me feel guilty. Of course the other option is doing without, but so far it's been like a happy little artistic mathematical nerd(?) commune around here, so I thought I'd ask.

This belongs as a separate thread. Almost all of use here are new and thus not too familiar with the forum rules, but they're worth reading. Just a friendly reminder, we all make mistakes.
I was double-posting for a while until I read through the rules (it's not too long of a list). It was, of course, only attributable to human error.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

"A reason for everything"? They must be scientists!

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

Our Litany expands.

Spoiler:
The Litany of The Waits:
Leader: Later!
People: Bye!
Leader: Wanna swim?
People: Yeah!
Leader: Pffthh
People: *cough*
Leader: You ok?
People: Just got some in my mouth.
Leader: Any idea where the river is now?
People: Still pretty far out. It's actually retreated a little this week.
Leader: I don't understand what the sea is doing.
(All observe a meditative silence)
Leader: I don't think we can build it much taller than this.
People: It's been fun, though!
(The leader makes a sipping sound)
Leader: Pfffth Pthuh! Yuck.
People: I've had worse.
Leader: Guess one of us should climb down.
People: Yeah.
Leader: The sea is rising.
Leader: Sea level rises and falls, right? It's changed before.
People: Not this fast.
Leader: The river hasn't even reached the sea yet.
People: The river is small. The sea is big.
Leader: How big?
People: I don’t know.
(Several beats of silence are observed.)
Leader: Does it Rain on the Sea?
People: I don't know; if it does it seems like a waste.
Leader: It rains in the hills where the river comes from, right?
People: Sure.
Leader: Are there other rivers?
People: I don't know.
Leader: There must be other rivers.
People: Otherwise the sea would dry up.
Leader: Maybe it's coming out of the ground.
People: Does that happen?
Leader: I don't know.
(Another moment of silent reflection.)
Leader: I don't know how the sea works.
People: I don't know how anything works.
Leader: I don't think it's going to stop.
People: The sea can't just make more of itself forever.
Leader: It can do whatever it wants. It's the sea.
(Contemplation of this revelation)
Leader: There must be a reason. There's a reason for everything.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

tman2nd wrote:
vvn wrote:Didn't say you did. (I assume you meant user distribution, not bombing.) It is just my opinion. I figure that is better data than we will get by (not many) people posting their location. That's all. It was meant as a kudo.

What I meant was I didn't say what you quoted me saying.

Sorry. I see I messed up the BBcode. Fixed now.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

tman2nd wrote:
Dracomax wrote: Anyone encoding their text will henceforth and retroactively be dipped chocolate Syrup, and covered in shredded Licorice. THUS SPEAKS THE INQUISITION.

Oj, yyhnd? I'f xaci ah zsd jxz llc! :twisted:

I actually have no idea what rule you used to encode that (it's not ROT-n for any fixed n or even for n a linear function of the index), yet the spacing and punctuation are enough that I can understand it completely.
Valarya wrote:SCHLONG? I couldn't help it. Sorry.
<snip>

Simpsons did it
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
jovialbard wrote:Anyone here play guitar, that would also be a helpful contribution to my little project for the evening. I could always steal re-purpose something from youtube, but that would make me feel guilty. Of course the other option is doing without, but so far it's been like a happy little artistic mathematical nerd(?) commune around here, so I thought I'd ask.

This belongs as a separate thread. Almost all of use here are new and thus not too familiar with the forum rules, but they're worth reading. Just a friendly reminder, we all make mistakes.
I was double-posting for a while until I read through the rules (it's not too long of a list). It was, of course, only attributable to human error.

Well, his project is recording some of Blitzgirl's songs, as I understand it, so wouldn't that be on-topic?

Had hoped for a more exciting 100th post but--100 posts! Woo-hoo!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Well, his project is recording some of Blitzgirl's songs, as I understand it, so wouldn't that be on-topic?

Had hoped for a more exciting 100th post but--100 posts! Woo-hoo!

Oh, I didn't know what his project was, must have missed an earlier post.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Oh, I didn't know what his project was, must have missed an earlier post.

No problem, though I've actually moved on from that idea to writing my own song, since Blitzgirl's are from her own perspective, and that would be weird, but sorry for the confusion! Now let's see about that... I hope it turns out ok, I don't exactly have a sound studio over here...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”