1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ChronosDragon

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:24 am UTC

jovialbard wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Oh good, this was posted at a time when I'm actually on, I missed it the last couple. Looks to me like her curve is asymptotic with the graph - a slant asymptote, to be specific. This would be problematic due to the nature of asymptotes (See my previous comments on paradoxical posting) except we have a discrete unit here. She can consider herself "caught up" when she's within 5 or fewer pages, or if she wanted to be really obsessive about it, 1 page. Does anyone have a compendium of the data so I can do further analysis, or will I have to find BlitzGirl's posts myself?

I made this

Edit: Ok, made some progress on my little project, it's alright, not perfect, but I could mess around with it all night, so good enough. Now all I need is a 2:25 video of Time, preferably with a small amount of blur, preferably ending with Megan's coma, and preferably with a slowdown/speedup centered around 1:39... does anyone have an easy way to make something like that, or how would I go about putting that together myself in a timely manner...

Ooh, that's probably better than what I would've come up with.

Well, using that data it looks like she's projected to hit the present at around page 450, using a linear trend. Which is probably not the case. But anyway, she'd hit the 5-page tolerance a bit before then, at which point we'd all be cheering her on so much she'd be lost behind again.

Other rivers, eh? He seems intent on these other rivers, and their affect on the sea. Maybe he thinks they can dam them up to stop the flooding.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:26 am UTC

jovialbard wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Well one Idea is to try taking a gif someone has made of the whole comic and just convert this into a movie file somehow. Then any full featured video editing suite can add blur or change the speed of time easy enough.

That's something I was thinking about, though the places to view the comic that I know of actually cycle through the frames instead of using a gif. I shall go spelunking through the thread for a bit.

I've been putting mine up over at Explain XKCD. I suppose it's about time to update again; it's about a week behind now. :P
Added: In case you don't know how the wiki uploading works, it'll still be at the same link once I've got it. Optimizing it now . . . .
Last edited by KarMann on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

juliancolton

Postby juliancolton » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:27 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:"There must be other rivers. Maybe something is wrong with them."

Maybe they think rivers are supposed to suck water away from the sea?

Or maybe, in their world, rivers really do suck water out of the sea? Since the one river they know of "actually retreated a little this week," maybe the rivers are malfunctioning for some reason.

I feel like he's just confused as to why the sea keeps rising, since he knows (or reckons) the tide can't keep piling on forever and suspects the rivers are discharging more water than usual (hence something being wrong with them).

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:28 am UTC

KarMann wrote:I've been putting mine up over at Explain XKCD. I suppose it's about time to update again; it's about a week behind now. :P

Yay! Please, pretty, please, and let me know when it's up!

juliancolton wrote:I feel like he's just confused as to why the sea keeps rising, since he knows (or reckons) the tide can't keep piling on forever and suspects the rivers are discharging more water than usual (hence something being wrong with them).

That makes a lot more sense.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:37 am UTC

Plot twist: this is actually a musical, set to 4:33

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:39 am UTC

jovialbard wrote:
KarMann wrote:I've been putting mine up over at Explain XKCD. I suppose it's about time to update again; it's about a week behind now. :P

OK, it's done and it's up; go to it. (If it affects how you're planning to use it, note that there are two layers/frames in there that actually represent two frames of the OTC each, but were identical and thus combined.)
Added: FYI, frames 440-441, & 454-455.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:53 am UTC

jovialbard wrote:

juliancolton wrote:I feel like he's just confused as to why the sea keeps rising, since he knows (or reckons) the tide can't keep piling on forever and suspects the rivers are discharging more water than usual (hence something being wrong with them).

That makes a lot more sense.

Hey do you want one that has long pauses when there is dialog or to just skip over dialog like nothing? I can quickly modify the wonderful gif KarMann made for you if you want to remove those pauses.
Last edited by Latent22 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:37 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

AK49BWL

Postby AK49BWL » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:55 am UTC

Jafloi wrote:
vvn wrote:
AK49BWL wrote:This really is a great thread. It pulled me out of hiding, it must be something... :lol:

I think that qualifies you for Cardinalship.

seconded!
Cardinal AK49BWL of No Longer Lurking?

Whoa :shock: the Outside pulls me away for a few days several TimeFrames, and I come back to a temporary third (and new!) person, potential Cardinalship, a relocated flag following a collapsed tower, and Cueball finally returned, along with much new dialog?! Looks like I'm going back to my everyday routine of loading Time first thing post-coma! Also a lot more NewPages appearing for me to read than there have been lately.. I like this :mrgreen:

I considered writing a page on my website much like the one Primis did all those NewPages ago, to automate and create a live-updating .GIF, but alas I've not had the Time to do so... But now my creative juices are flowing again so we'll see what happens. Guess you'll just have to Wait for It...
Follower of the One True Comic

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:10 am UTC

SPRONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:20 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Another frame of Megan staring mournfully out to sea. For the first time in four weeks800 frames I'm seriously starting to worry we're heading for a really downbeat ending: All our works are as nothing against the greater forces of nature, etc. "It's not always a good reason," gave me a sinking feeling nothing else about the OTC has caused.

Man, what a mood to take to coma.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:38 am UTC

Almost there, trying to get my video to be on youtube. I need to seriously not tell you guys how I did any of this, because there would be massive facepalming if I did.

So I accidentally downloaded the old gif, but when I plugged it in it fit so nicely as it was that I essentially left it as it was. It didn't get all the way to Megan comaing but that's ok, and I freeze framed the end so that it wouldn't abruptly end in the middle of cueball doing something. But I think it worked out well and honestly I think trying to manipulate it to be how I want would be beyond my skills or at the very least my time constraints.

ack! youtube really hates the video I generate...
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:43 am UTC

A Reminder!
The Arch-Cardinal BuffyGirl does not fulfill hat requests in the order received.

For lmjb1964!

comatime

EDIT: erm, big mistake in my own title, fixed it :oops:
Attachments
lmjb1964-hat2.jpg
lmjb1964-hat2.jpg (4.44 KiB) Viewed 8730 times
Last edited by buffygirl on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:00 am UTC

DING DONG!
EDIT: Yeah!
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:05 am UTC

Haha! Here it is. I haven't been able to contribute to the fancy graphs or hats, so I made this as my present to you all. Hopefully you all enjoy it and don't think the song choice is weird/dumb, but it just popped into my head on the way home from work yesterday and I couldn't get it out. I think if I actually knew what I was doing the video would be better and hopefully you find the singing pleasant enough as well. Like I said, I don't exactly have a music studio in my house and I never claimed to be Michael Buble. That should be enough disclaimers and self-deprecation to cover my butt! Enjoy.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:12 am UTC

jovialbard wrote:Haha! Here it is. I haven't been able to contribute to the fancy graphs or hats, so I made this as my present to you all. Hopefully you all enjoy it and don't think the song choice is weird/dumb, but it just popped into my head on the way home from work yesterday and I couldn't get it out. I think if I actually knew what I was doing the video would be better and hopefully you find the singing pleasant enough as well. Like I said, I don't exactly have a music studio in my house and I never claimed to be Michael Buble. That should be enough disclaimers and self-deprecation to cover my butt! Enjoy.

Awwww! That was nice!!

htom

Postby htom » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:37 am UTC

jovialbard wrote:Haha! Here it is. I haven't been able to contribute to the fancy graphs or hats, so I made this as my present to you all. Hopefully you all enjoy it and don't think the song choice is weird/dumb, but it just popped into my head on the way home from work yesterday and I couldn't get it out. I think if I actually knew what I was doing the video would be better and hopefully you find the singing pleasant enough as well. Like I said, I don't exactly have a music studio in my house and I never claimed to be Michael Buble. That should be enough disclaimers and self-deprecation to cover my butt! Enjoy.

You need to spend more of your time making more of these, and less time writing disclaimers. Nicely done. I have a sweet thing to dream with as I coma. Thank you!
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:10 am UTC

ENDLONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:11 am UTC

mscha wrote:ENDLONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot

Thank you, newpixbot. I wonder where she's going.
Also, newcomic's up!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

aeglaeca

Postby aeglaeca » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:13 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Added: Oh damn, am I going to have to go re-read 42 What-Ifs now? But I need coma! :?

I just realized I have to do the same thing.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:17 am UTC

Given that the river is small and the sea is big, yet the sea is rising, perhaps Megan and Cueball are concluding that there is far more water entering through the sea through the other rivers than ought to be (i.e. something wrong with them) leading to the rise in the sea. Which leads to the conclusion that they are not aware of the moon or else live in a world with no moon (or after the moon's destruction).

Back to the present, Megan has walked past the ladder, which indicates that she's going to leave the area (for more supplies) rather than go up.

I think I should order an Official buffygirl hat avatar. What do folks think of the idea of River Tam wearing this?

Thanks for the newothercomicreminder, HAL9000

[edit] Ohh, it's
Spoiler:
about Time.

vvn

Postby vvn » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:25 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I think I should order an Official buffygirl hat avatar. What do folks think of the idea of River Tam wearing this?

It's a good hat, But, Buffygirl has her own creative ways. I was happier with my hat than I would have been if I had tried to point her in a particular direction. I would suggest you let her DO WHAT SHE DOES. I think you will like the result.

That being said, choose your avatar before requesting a hat. My hat was heavy enough to push me down 5 whole pixels!

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:37 am UTC

aeglaeca wrote:
KarMann wrote:Added: Oh damn, am I going to have to go re-read 42 What-Ifs now? But I need coma! :?

I just realized I have to do the same thing.

I finished my mini-Blitz this afternoon (MST/PDT). All current now, as far as I know. Of course, that's what I thought 24 hours ago, too. :P
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

ZombieLion

Postby ZombieLion » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:52 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:On my iPhone ... Can anyone tell me the equiv of ctrl-home and ctrl-end? I am so sick of scrolling ... Thank you!!
(It's a 4s or whatever they named the 4.5 thingy.)

AFAIK there's no built-in way to jump to the bottom (*glares quizzically at Apple*) but you could use a bookmarklet e.g.

Code: Select all

javascript:scroll(0,document.getElementsByTagName( 'body')%5B0%5D.scrollHeight);

Not ideal, but arguably better than swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe...
blowfishhootie wrote:This community has created a situation in which asking someone if they want semen with their caffeinated drink actually makes sense.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:02 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Also, newcomic's up!
Does that comic have anything to say to this comic?

It's too early in the morning here to try and work out.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:03 am UTC

DIPHTHONG
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:04 am UTC

Does this look hattable? I tried to find a pic with space above. Please ignore my silly so called 'suggestions' above, I don't know what I was thinking.

Well, what a surprise: Megan is gone! :O /sarc

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:04 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:

To go back in time is impossible; seeing the past requires a false recording, but the actual journey cannot be experienced backwards.
Alt-text: All systems nominal. T - 4 millinüpiks. T - 5 millinüpiks.
Last edited by Elmach on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:05 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:

I'd say if anything it's confirmation for the loopists - at the end of the comic, it looks just the same as at the beginning and you can't tell which it is.

vvn

Postby vvn » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:09 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Does this look hattable? I tried to find a pic with space above. Please ignore my silly so called 'suggestions' above, I don't know what I was thinking.

Oh, yes. Hattable is exactly what this picture says to me. (Cough. Choke. Sorry, must have inadvertently taken a sip of the water/fluid/se...whatever.)

Edit: Based on my experience, Buffygirl can add space above as required. you may have to trim the image after, but it will all be worth it.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:25 am UTC

Maybe I should just point buffygirl at the original hi-res... which I got pretty easily via googling anyhow.

So I just accidentally went to page 1 and noticed that the OP has the updating image, not the first image. :(

vvn

Postby vvn » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:30 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:So I just accidentally went to page 1 and noticed that the OP has the updating image, not the first image. :(

Yes. when originally posted they did not know the image would change, so it pointed to xkcd rather than saving the image on EC. This is why the real first frame may be lost.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:47 am UTC

vvn wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:So I just accidentally went to page 1 and noticed that the OP has the updating image, not the first image. :(

Yes. when originally posted they did not know the image would change, so it pointed to xkcd rather than saving the image on EC. This is why the real first frame may be lost.

This mistake was repeatedly made until almost 60 pages in as I recall, long after they'd figured out it was changing and updating URLs but before anyone noticed enough times for most people to see.

With that, I must coma. Perhaps, tomorrow, more dialogue? Mayhaps Blitzg- err, La Petite will come back. Maybe it will even start raining. Only Randall Knows.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:52 am UTC

vvn wrote:

Yeah, and some people still make the mistake even now. Anyhow, I wasn't so much wondering how the wronglinks happened (that's fairly obvious) but rather why it hasn't been fixed. Or is it unfixable? (I guess by the time people figured what was going on, they couldn't edit those posts anymore... or the people responsible were no longer around. Or both I suppose.)

It's a tragedy that/if the first frame is lost. The cannon can never be complete!

vvn

Postby vvn » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:01 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Yeah, and some people still make the mistake even now. Anyhow, I wasn't so much wondering how the wronglinks happened (that's fairly obvious) but rather why it hasn't been fixed. Or is it unfixable? (I guess by the time people figured what was going on, they couldn't edit those posts anymore... or the people responsible were no longer around. Or both I suppose.)

I just assumed they preferred it showing the current image, but I don't really know.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:01 am UTC

TONG:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:02 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
vvn wrote:

Yeah, and some people still make the mistake even now. Anyhow, I wasn't so much wondering how the wronglinks happened (that's fairly obvious) but rather why it hasn't been fixed. Or is it unfixable? (I guess by the time people figured what was going on, they couldn't edit those posts anymore... or the people responsible were no longer around. Or both I suppose.)

It's a tragedy that/if the first frame is lost. The cannon can never be complete!

It is almost definitely lost; the first hashed image linked to is more than 30 minutes after the comic went up. However, if someone saved the image locally on their computer, then it can be uploaded.
However, it doesn't particularly matter. All who noticed/discussed the difference (including some who had one tab with the first frame [i.e., a page that hadn't been reloaded since the update] and one tab with the second frame open) remarked that the only changes were slight shifts in the arrangements of the characters' limbs and the line thicknesses. Not too great of a loss, in all seriousness.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:07 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
vvn wrote:

It is almost definitely lost; the first hashed image linked to is more than 30 minutes after the comic went up. However, if someone saved the image locally on their computer, then it can be uploaded.
However, it doesn't particularly matter. All who noticed/discussed the difference (including some who had one tab with the first frame [i.e., a page that hadn't been reloaded since the update] and one tab with the second frame open) remarked that the only changes were slight shifts in the arrangements of the characters' limbs and the line thicknesses. Not too great of a loss, in all seriousness.

The first frame that was captured and is used on most of the animations etc is different than all the other hash'ed frames. http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/images/f/f8/time.png
So unless its a made up frame someone made as a joke it must be the real first frame.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:09 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
vvn wrote:

The first frame that was captured and is used on most of the animations etc is different than all the other hash'ed frames. http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/images/f/f8/time.png
So unless its a made up frame someone made as a joke it must be the real first frame.

Then we do have it! YAAAY!
My thanks to the .gif'ers!
But we'll probably never know the hash of the image. Shame.
EDIT: pope? Not again! I was just about to coma!
Of course, this can only be attributable to human error.
EDIT2: the last two pages have me as pope. The two before that are both imjb1964. Perhaps we have reached a period of LongPopes, governing for two Newpages.
EDIT3: forgot about bumping from newbie's posts getting approved. Perhaps imjb wasn't the original Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer for those pages (or at least maybe for only one)
Last edited by HAL9000 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:13 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:And away I go, forward into your past, which is my future!

Ha ha... Wait, what?? :roll:
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

davidy22

Postby davidy22 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
vvn wrote:

Then we do have it! YAAAY!
My thanks to the .gif'ers!
But we'll probably never know the hash of the image. Shame.
EDIT: pope? Not again! I was just about to coma!
Of course, this can only be attributable to human error.
EDIT2: the last two pages have me as pope. The two before that are both imjb1964. Perhaps we have reached a period of LongPopes, governing for two Newpages.

The explainxkcd wiki here to save the day!

The first image never had a hash value. While every other image is named by their hashes, the first image was saved as just time.png.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”