1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Flotter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Flotter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:20 am UTC

Remember the discussion about time machines one or two days ago? Would this be a Sign or a coincidence?

'All time machine systems nominal ... T-minus ten ... eleven ...'

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:27 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:However, it doesn't particularly matter. All who noticed/discussed the difference (including some who had one tab with the first frame [i.e., a page that hadn't been reloaded since the update] and one tab with the second frame open) remarked that the only changes were slight shifts in the arrangements of the characters' limbs and the line thicknesses. Not too great of a loss, in all seriousness.
(bolded for emphasis)
But Time is Seerius Bizness!
davidy22 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Latent22 wrote:The first frame that was captured and is used on most of the animations etc is different than all the other hash'ed frames. http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/images/f/f8/time.png
So unless its a made up frame someone made as a joke it must be the real first frame.

Then we do have it! YAAAY!
My thanks to the .gif'ers!
But we'll probably never know the hash of the image. Shame.
EDIT: pope? Not again! I was just about to coma!
Of course, this can only be attributable to human error.
EDIT2: the last two pages have me as pope. The two before that are both imjb1964. Perhaps we have reached a period of LongPopes, governing for two Newpages.

The explainxkcd wiki here to save the day!

The first image never had a hash value. While every other image is named by their hashes, the first image was saved as just time.png.
That makes too much sense to be wrong. Thanks!

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:40 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:However, it doesn't particularly matter. All who noticed/discussed the difference (including some who had one tab with the first frame [i.e., a page that hadn't been reloaded since the update] and one tab with the second frame open) remarked that the only changes were slight shifts in the arrangements of the characters' limbs and the line thicknesses. Not too great of a loss, in all seriousness.
(bolded for emphasis)
But Time is Seerius Bizness!
davidy22 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Latent22 wrote:The first frame that was captured and is used on most of the animations etc is different than all the other hash'ed frames. http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/images/f/f8/time.png
So unless its a made up frame someone made as a joke it must be the real first frame.

Then we do have it! YAAAY!
My thanks to the .gif'ers!
But we'll probably never know the hash of the image. Shame.
EDIT: pope? Not again! I was just about to coma!
EDIT2: the last two pages have me as pope. The two before that are both imjb1964. Perhaps we have reached a period of LongPopes, governing for two Newpages.

The explainxkcd wiki here to save the day!

The first image never had a hash value. While every other image is named by their hashes, the first image was saved as just time.png.
That makes too much sense to be wrong. Thanks!

A hooray for the guys at ExplainXKCD! Hooray!
Last edited by manvandmaan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:42 am UTC

I'm hoping Megan comes back with LaPetite. They can use her ghost powers to scare the sea into submission.

ChronosDragon wrote:
Eutychus wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Also, newcomic's up!
Does that comic have anything to say to this comic?

It's too early in the morning here to try and work out.

I'd say if anything it's confirmation for the loopists - at the end of the comic, it looks just the same as at the beginning and you can't tell which it is.

Except now the theory would be that it will first run backwards to the first frame and forward to the last frame ad infinitum.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:46 am UTC

azule wrote:I'm hoping Megan comes back with LaPetite. They can use her ghost powers to scare the sea into submission.

ChronosDragon wrote:
Eutychus wrote:

I'd say if anything it's confirmation for the loopists - at the end of the comic, it looks just the same as at the beginning and you can't tell which it is.

Except now the theory would be that it will first run backwards to the first frame and forward to the last frame ad infinitum.

Yeah that is a cool idea for looping. Gets to some point and they use 'magic' or build a machine to reverse the rise of the sea. But all it does is make the comic roll out backwards to the first frame and then loop.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:58 am UTC

Catch up post.
KarMann wrote:
SWO Crash wrote:
KarMann wrote:
cmyk wrote:I predict some more dialog in the next Newpix or three.

OK, ChronosDragon, time to give up your prognostication award; it's cmyk's turn with it now.

cymk? or Kieryn?

Kieryn wrote:Called it.
Kieryn wrote:Ok yep. They're totally about to say some confusing stuff about water levels, seas, rivers and the average rainfall in Peru.

Maybe a College of Multi-Theistic Prognostic Cardinals?

cmyk beat Kieryn by two NewPices, I believe. Although I wouldn't object to some form of group award.
Added: And it just happened to be that "three" that he mentioned, even if as a disjunctive alternative. Bonus points for that.

If there's a group award, I made the same prediction. :)
Spoiler:
tman2nd wrote:Staring out at the Sea again?
I anticipate dialogue.

Smithers wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
Dracomax wrote: Anyone encoding their text will henceforth and retroactively be dipped chocolate Syrup, and covered in shredded Licorice. THUS SPEAKS THE INQUISITION.

Oj, yyhnd? I'f xaci ah zsd jxz llc! :twisted:

I actually have no idea what rule you used to encode that (it's not ROT-n for any fixed n or even for n a linear function of the index), yet the spacing and punctuation are enough that I can understand it completely.

Hoqi: QETUOA.
HAL9000 wrote:EDIT: pope? Not again! I was just about to coma!
EDIT3: forgot about bumping from newbie's posts getting approved. Perhaps imjb wasn't the original Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer for those pages (or at least maybe for only one)

Wasn't the PFAN of the Timewaiters abolished. There's a new church (something like Church of the Newpage) that has a PFAN, but that's decided by the last post.
Latent22 wrote:
azule wrote:I'm hoping Megan comes back with LaPetite. They can use her ghost powers to scare the sea into submission.

ChronosDragon wrote:
Eutychus wrote:

Yeah that is a cool idea for looping. Gets to some point and they use 'magic' or build a machine to reverse the rise of the sea. But all it does is make the comic roll out backwards to the first frame and then loop.

We must warn them about Time machines! To bad they can't read our sigs.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:59 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:

ChronosDragon wrote:
Eutychus wrote:

I don't think BlitzGirl would like that, because then she has to read this needle-pulling-thingy backwards and forwards for ever!

@BlitzGirl: when you see a time machine, you should destroy it before it is activated! Good Luck!
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:01 am UTC

XKCDONG
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:02 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Yeah that is a cool idea for looping. Gets to some point and they use 'magic' or build a machine to reverse the rise of the sea. But all it does is make the comic roll out backwards to the first frame and then loop.

But, the first frame. Eh? The "first" frame. ;)
Also, then you wouldn't have to worry about something making logical sense for a forward-only loop to work.

Edit: changed "post" to "frame" because first I'm stupid then I'm smart, then it goes in reverse ad infinitum.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:16 am UTC

Cueball should dig a moat to trap the sea!

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:20 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:XKCDONG

THAT's the right one :D
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:27 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Cueball should dig a moat to trap the sea!

Not sure if that would work, since it could escape from that easily, since it's the sea and it can do whatever it wants.

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:40 am UTC

At risk of being gravely misunderstood, but...
I need some help with my periods!

I've updated them upto now, but I have no more ideas for the current period. for now it seems to be another Cueball Period.
Any ideas for a good name for this period?

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:47 am UTC

jovialbard wrote:Haha! Here it is. I haven't been able to contribute to the fancy graphs or hats, so I made this as my present to you all. Hopefully you all enjoy it and don't think the song choice is weird/dumb, but it just popped into my head on the way home from work yesterday and I couldn't get it out. I think if I actually knew what I was doing the video would be better and hopefully you find the singing pleasant enough as well. Like I said, I don't exactly have a music studio in my house and I never claimed to be Michael Buble. That should be enough disclaimers and self-deprecation to cover my butt! Enjoy.

Beautiful! And with that lullaby, the wee one and I will head off to slumber, while somewhere, while we are dreaming, BlitzGirl will be getting closer, getting closer.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:03 am UTC

XKCD THONG
Megan arrives with magic scepter.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:38 am UTC

It looks kinda like a torch.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:40 am UTC

It's that time again, kids!

BlitzGirl is a small Parisian. She is a kid. Young, full of spirit, ready to take on the world. Kicking ass and taking gems. Her hat holds her power. Which hat it is, I'm sure it does not matter, just that she have a hat. Her hair traps the wind. All stands still until she decides its time to battle. The flags will wave, and so will the sea. She will not fight the castle with her fist or foot. She will unleash the rain and punish us with the river. All will collapse to dust. It will be as it began. Tremble before the might of LaPetite!

Spoiler:
*weeps*
Thanks for the gems. I keep them on my mantle. Hmm, would they survive in the fireplace. It would be so pretty.
Gumption / baconcaffeinatedsemencancerbabies.
Brought to you by the CSA. Where dreams come true . . . because wake-dreams are real. Sorta

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:06 am UTC

TONGUE
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:10 am UTC

azule wrote:Megan arrives with magic scepter.

tman2nd wrote:It looks kinda like a torch.

Or an umbrella.
Or La Petite / BlitzGirl folded up. (I know you can't do that with real people, but this is a stick figure.)
Or just another flag.

The new newpix doesn't help. Cueball seems worried, so probably not just another flag.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:17 am UTC

RobIrr wrote:TONGUE...

Surely these need a dedicated page on the wiki!? :D

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:20 am UTC

Foarm wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Yeah that is a cool idea for looping. Gets to some point and they use 'magic' or build a machine to reverse the rise of the sea. But all it does is make the comic roll out backwards to the first frame and then loop.

I don't think BlitzGirl would like that, because then she has to read this needle-pulling-thingy backwards and forwards for ever!
And the PFAPs would pope back and forth, forever!

'The sea can't just make more of itself forever' is a commentary on (the rumoured pregnancy and) overpopulation. The semen can make people pregnant if it wants, whether it has a good reason or not. The receding/small river is a symbol of dwindling resources that won't be able to sustain the rising sea. Other rivers are other habitable planets that we could flee to (as if it were easier to terraform another planet than to keep this one in some kind of survivable state.)
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:00 am UTC

When you're feeling all right. Everything is up tight. Try to sing a song that goes Ding-Ding-DONG
from Ding-a-dong by Teach in

EDIT: What is she holding?
EDIT2: Glad I was the first! That song has been stuck in my head ever since the whole '...ONG' thing begun!

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:12 am UTC

It seems like that whatever she's holding, she's going to put it up high, but for what purpose? Is it just more decoration or is it something they can use to see/measure the sea/rivers? I guess we just have to wait for it....
I predict that the One True Comic will continue until the end of Time!

You did it BlitzGirl!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:17 am UTC

The sea can do whatever it wants. Doesn't that mean they should try to convince the sea not to destroy their castle?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:27 am UTC

It seems too big to be a flag for her castle. Too small for a broomstick she can fly away on...
Guess will have to wait for it and see.

Neil_Boekend wrote:The sea can do whatever it wants. Doesn't that mean they should try to convince the sea not to destroy their castle?

I'm not sure either of them has enough Charisma to outclass the sea, but who knows, maybe if they crit.

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:38 am UTC

Maybe it's just a bigger flag that needs to be fold out? Also, BlitzGirl has been around 40 pages behind present for many longpix now... Let's see if she'll make a sprint soon to catch up :D Go BlitzGirl :!:

You did it BlitzGirl!

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:43 am UTC

manvandmaan wrote:When you're feeling all right. Everything is up tight. Try to sing a song that goes Ding-Ding-DONG
from Ding-a-dong by Teach in
4ec2f987cc99f948bcbda23b7c0e1ce491255b85253a52a2e18d801d41832d7b.png

EDIT: What is she holding?
EDIT2: Glad I was the first! That song has been stuck in my head ever since the whole '...ONG' thing begun!

Thanks a lot, now it's stuck in my head too :(

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:53 am UTC

mscha wrote:

Or an umbrella.
Or La Petite / BlitzGirl folded up. (I know you can't do that with real people, but this is a stick figure.)
Or just another flag.

The new newpix doesn't help. Cueball seems worried, so probably not just another flag.

Folded trebuchet.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:55 am UTC

Flado wrote:
mscha wrote:

Or an umbrella.
Or just another flag.

Folded trebuchet.

Attacking the ocean with a trebuchet? I approve :D

You did it BlitzGirl!

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:00 am UTC

BILLABONG

Edit: So.... just another flag? Oh well, we can't always have trebuchets.
Last edited by Jonas79 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You did it BlitzGirl!

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:00 am UTC

It is a flag! :)

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:01 am UTC

So it's just a bunch of flags. :(

Edit: FTFM
Last edited by mscha on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:01 am UTC

Foarm wrote:
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:

ChronosDragon wrote:
Eutychus wrote:

@BlitzGirl: when you see a time machine, you should destroy it before it is activated! Good Luck!

Or she should use it to go back and destroy it before it's even built!

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:03 am UTC

mscha wrote:So it's just a flag. :(

At least 3 flags...

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:08 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:

At least 3 flags...

Why three flags?

You did it BlitzGirl!

jaronflick

Postby jaronflick » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:13 am UTC

Safe upon the solid rock
the ugly houses stand:
Come see my shining palace
built upon the sand!

Edna St. Vincent Millay
We wait for it. It does not wait for us.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:14 am UTC

Jonas79 wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

At least 3 flags...

Why three flags?

She's put one on the left-hand end tower on the upper level, and is putting one on the central tower. I guess the assumption is that she has a third one for the right-hand end tower.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:15 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Foarm wrote:
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:

ChronosDragon wrote:
Eutychus wrote:

Or she should use it to go back and destroy it before it's even built!

Then you would encounter the problem with Time Machines
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:17 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:
Jonas79 wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

At least 3 flags...

Why three flags?

She's put one on the left-hand end tower on the upper level, and is putting one on the central tower. I guess the assumption is that she has a third one for the right-hand end tower.

One has appeared on the leftmost turret of the upper level, another on the leftmost turret of the central castle of the upper level, and a third apparently being planted in the topmost tower of the upper level

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:18 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:
Jonas79 wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

At least 3 flags...

Why three flags?

Looking at the diff of http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/, she put one on the left-hand end tower, another one on the left-hand middle tower and is putting one on the central tower...
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”