1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rmsgrey

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:Added to the hat queue mob

The hat stand?

Or have they been given chairs?

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:ETA: It seems I am cursed with the recurring papacy.
Or maybe I'm just a really active poster.

Oh! I was so close!
Well, you are probably a better pope than me anyway. :-)
It's about time.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

Eliram wrote:
!קדימה בליץ גירל

FTFY :mrgreen:
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

D'awwww! That melted my heart.
Last edited by marchlight on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Exodies wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
Foarm wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Yeah that is a cool idea for looping. Gets to some point and they use 'magic' or build a machine to reverse the rise of the sea. But all it does is make the comic roll out backwards to the first frame and then loop.

I don't think BlitzGirl would like that, because then she has to read this needle-pulling-thingy backwards and forwards for ever!
And the PFAPs would pope back and forth, forever!

'The sea can't just make more of itself forever' is a commentary on (the rumoured pregnancy and) overpopulation. The semen can make people pregnant if it wants, whether it has a good reason or not. The receding/small river is a symbol of dwindling resources that won't be able to sustain the rising sea. Other rivers are other habitable planets that we could flee to (as if it were easier to terraform another planet than to keep this one in some kind of survivable state.)

Has there ever been symbolism in an xkcd comic?

I don't think any of them have been nearly lengthy to allow for symbolism.
ETA: doesn't mean Randall can't start now. There's a first time for everything.

To be fair, there have been a few. FOr instance, Time machine is symbolic of poorly thought out engineering.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Montov

Postby Montov » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

Sounds like famous last words before they completely destroy the castle.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

Montov wrote:Sounds like famous last words before they completely destroy the castle.

Na, they're just sad that the sea is inevitably going to swallow it into oblivion. Little do they know that every moment of their castles existence has been preserved and no sea could ever take that away.
Last edited by jovialbard on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

Spoiler:
STONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot

Edit: retroninja'd.
Last edited by mscha on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:49 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
STONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot

Go bot go!
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

descor

Postby descor » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
STONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot

Is newpixbot broken?
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Looks like Marchlight had the incorrect image image URL. Three cheers for the newpix Bot and mscha!
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

I was so excited by the dialogue that I forgot to do an ONG. I face the wrath of newpixbot and hang my head in shame :(

ETA:
Caswallon wrote:Looks like Marchlight had the incorrect image image URL. Three cheers for the newpix Bot and mscha!

Incorrect image URL? Looks identical to me. 56cc974221e231683bd46f5a3185f3660b9f791ad051257d1b42f8e474ddc133.png?
Last edited by marchlight on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
Montov wrote:Sounds like famous last words before they completely destroy the castle.

Na, they're just sad that the sea is inevitably going to swallow it into oblivious. Little do they know that every moment of their castles existence has been preserved and no sea could ever take that away.

It reminds me of this kind of street art... huge artworks, painted with chalk... doomed to be destroyed by the next rain.
Yeah, heart-breaking.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

marchlight wrote:I was so excited by the dialogue that I forgot to do an ONG. I face the wrath of newpixbot and hang my head in shame :(

ETA:
Caswallon wrote:Looks like Marchlight had the incorrect image image URL. Three cheers for the newpix Bot and mscha!

Incorrect image URL? Looks identical to me. 56cc974221e231683bd46f5a3185f3660b9f791ad051257d1b42f8e474ddc133.png?

It wasn't the ONG, it was the Image url. you need to get the full hash filename: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/56cc97 ... ddc133.png
It is a common mistake.
Try quoting your own post above, then see what the URL shows up as.
Last edited by Caswallon on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

It's symbolic of the inevitability of time, and how sad it is that even our greatest works must fall.

Reminds me of this:
Spoiler:
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desart. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.[1]
~Percy Bysshe Shelley
“have i gone mad?

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:It wasn't the ONG, it was the Image url. you need to get the full hash filename: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/56cc97 ... ddc133.png
It is a common mistake.

Weird, I opened image in new tab then copied like normal. Oh well, edited the old one so that it doesn't confuse future thread dwellers. Thanks muchly for pointing it out!

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
marchlight wrote:I was so excited by the dialogue that I forgot to do an ONG. I face the wrath of newpixbot and hang my head in shame :(

It wasn't the ONG, it was the Image url. you need to get the full hash filename: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/56cc97 ... ddc133.png

It is a common mistake.

Even more, linking the original image will cause a Great Paradoxon Of Time. Blitzgirl could get hurt.
We wouldn't want that, would we.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
Caswallon wrote:

It is a common mistake.

Even more, linking the original image will cause a Great Paradoxon Of Time. Blitzgirl could get hurt.

The only things that could be worse from her perspective would be another page of rot13, or a link back to the first post, creating a loop from which she could never escape.
“have i gone mad?

descor

Postby descor » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

marchlight wrote:
Caswallon wrote:It wasn't the ONG, it was the Image url. you need to get the full hash filename: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/56cc97 ... ddc133.png
It is a common mistake.

Weird, I opened image in new tab then copied like normal. Oh well, edited the old one so that it doesn't confuse future thread dwellers. Thanks muchly for pointing it out!

newpixbot has my humble apologies for ever doubting he/she/it.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

So, any predictions for what will happen when we hit the 400th NewPage and the 16,001st newpost on this thread?

The Church of the Newpage shall consider it a NewCentury, and the decree by the 16,000th post shall retroactively apply too all posts in the previous NewCentury, and the Poster shall be known as the CentaPope of that previous NewCentury.

Achooo

Edit: just realized the posts would appear on different pages :)

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Does this look hattable? I tried to find a pic with space above. Please ignore my silly so called 'suggestions' above, I don't know what I was thinking.

Hmmmmm ..... Able to don a hat, yes. Ought to have a hat imposed upon her ..... hmmmmm.... The great BuffyGirl may have to use the theme and idea, but not the avatar.

vvn wrote:Edit: Based on my experience, Buffygirl can add space above as required. you may have to trim the image after, but it will all be worth it.
yes.

Edit: and yes, a Buffy avatar with a hat is just fine. Different rules.
Last edited by buffygirl on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:(stuff)
macraw83 wrote:V uaie earlpgeq raph cuaeaptrr ia ghvs mrsfate ia Eog-13 oae tvmr zoee tuaa ghr crrvvohs cuaeaptrr. I wbnqee uoj yoag ig'yl tnkr fozebnr go cntph oa...

chem1190c wrote:C nbche qy mbiofx uff mqcnwb ni LIN20. Nbun mbiofx guey cn gowb yumcyl ni ziffiq nbcm xcmwommcih

Stuff like THIS is just a pain in the nff.[/spoiler]

(things)

BlitzGirl, I am deeply sorry for having caused you extra hassle in your journey.

I also want to warn you, DO NOT CLICK THE LINK BELOW:

Dracomax wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
Caswallon wrote:

It is a common mistake.

The only things that could be worse from her perspective would be another page of rot13, or a link back to the first post, creating a loop from which she could never escape.

You mean, like this?

EDIT: Also, it is awesome to finally be caught up again. I was uncontrollably pulled away for about 130 TimeFrames, and have spent the last 8 or so catching up. Also, I am glad I didn't miss my hat from buffygirl, otherwise I'd have felt terrible since someone else could have had theirs first.

Speaking of which, buffygirl, I will probably be spotty for another 150 or so TimeFrames, so no rush on it at all. Just the fact that I'm a part of the mob is awesome enough :D
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:35 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:
macraw83 wrote:V uaie earlpgeq raph cuaeaptrr ia ghvs mrsfate ia Eog-13 oae tvmr zoee tuaa ghr crrvvohs cuaeaptrr. I wbnqee uoj yoag ig'yl tnkr fozebnr go cntph oa...

chem1190c wrote:C nbche qy mbiofx uff mqcnwb ni LIN20. Nbun mbiofx guey cn gowb yumcyl ni ziffiq nbcm xcmwommcih

Stuff like THIS is just a pain in the nff.[/spoiler]

(things)

BlitzGirl, I am deeply sorry for having caused you extra hassle in your journey.

Dracomax wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
Caswallon wrote:

It is a common mistake.

You mean, like this?

You monster? what have you...oh. you warned her. If she falls for it, it's probably her own fault, then.
“have i gone mad?

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 367 out of 398 pages.
The Next Level. NP 735.

Getting closer! Hopefully not much left when you reach this post... The past me will be waiting with you (I suppose) my present me is waiting for you, and the future me is already happy to have met you! Cheering for BlitzGirl!!

rcrowell wrote:I must say that I simply cannot believe how attached to Megan and Cueball I've become. In fact, I can't believe how attached to all of YOU, including and especially our dear BlitzGirl, I've become. When I step away from my computer, I wonder what M+C are doing. I'm distracted. I can't sleep. My heart stutters when I get a glimpse of a new dialog bubble. I break out into a cold sweat if a new frame doesn't appear at the right instant. I hang on every word you all say. Your over-analyzations are music to my ears, and I clap my hands and shout for joy when BlitzGirl reaches another milestone. It's getting difficult to hide this obsession from friends, family and colleagues.

And yet, I will continue to Wait. With all of you.

Agreed!
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

mscha wrote:She managed to place all of them without doing any damage. Impressive.

The posts must then be hollow, with thinnest structure possible. That means they can be used to cause damage to flesh bags. Update: nope, it broke. But it could still be true.

HAL9000 wrote:
azule wrote:XKCD THONG

Sounds like yet another thing to add to the shop.

xkcd-thong.jpg
Comes in small. You provide the large.
xkcd-thong.jpg (16.85 KiB) Viewed 10310 times

Gives "Wait for it" a whole new other meaning. :shock: LMAO!

jovialbard wrote:

Na, they're just sad that the sea is inevitably going to swallow it into oblivion. Little do they know that every moment of their castles existence has been preserved and no sea could ever take that away.

She's saying "I'll be damned if the sea is gonna fuck with my Precious".

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
macraw83 wrote:
Spoiler:

Stuff like THIS is just a pain in the nff.

(things)

Dracomax wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
Caswallon wrote:

It is a common mistake.

You mean, like this?

You monster? what have you...oh. you warned her. If she falls for it, it's probably her own fault, then.

That was my thought process. Hopefully she heeds the warning...

Anyway, marathon thread-reading session done, time to coma.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

I think he's right.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Sipdong...

Spoiler:

Sip!...

[Edit:] ...And I'm ninja'd...
Last edited by Jafloi on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

No, don't go away, castle. We love you. In a platonic, sand castle kind of way. we aren't sexually attracted to castles, as far as I know. but love. yeah....

not that there's anything wrong with being attracted to sand castles. if that's your thing, go for it. just, please not with this castle, becasue I imagine it wouldn't stand up well to vigorous activity, regardless of what it might be made of...
“have i gone mad?

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:[EDIT2: the last two pages have me as pope. The two before that are both imjb1964. Perhaps we have reached a period of LongPopes, governing for two Newpages.
EDIT3: forgot about bumping from newbie's posts getting approved. Perhaps imjb wasn't the original Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer for those pages (or at least maybe for only one)

Well, I was double pope there for a brief glorious moment, but alas, I was bumped. But you are all over this papacy thing! Good thing you already have the big hat.

Eternal Density wrote:That makes too much sense to be wrong. Thanks!

Brilliant reasoning!

manvandmaan wrote:BlitzGirl, do you by any chance have a beret?
and also: I'll make sure those Croissants are oven-fresh when you arrive!
AND EVEN MORE ALSO: WATCH OUT FOR THE TEARS!
Thank you lmjb1964 for clarifying! and ruining my pun :( but I really really like you, so it's OK!

Aww, I really really like you too! And I feel bad about ruining your pun. I was afraid Blitzgirl would think there was some great tragedy ahead and become disheartened. I'll change my sig, though the damage is probably already done.

Jovialbard, your song was lovely. Thank you!

OK, gotta lot more catching up to do!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:regardless of what it might be made of...

But really, wouldn't you just be reinforcing it's construction?

imhungry

Postby imhungry » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

If it had gone in about 200 Newpix, i would have felt bad.

If it goes now, I might cry a little.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
Dracomax wrote:regardless of what it might be made of...

But really, wouldn't you just be reinforcing it's construction?

Depends on how vigorous you are before the reinforcing...happens.
“have i gone mad?

descor

Postby descor » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

Jafloi wrote:Sipdong...

Spoiler:

Sip!...

[Edit:] ...And I'm ninja'd...

Are they looking at us??

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

descor wrote:Are they looking at us??

Again with the ego-centrism, gosh are we bordering on solipsism over here? Also, yes, they totally are looking at us. :D

descor

Postby descor » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
descor wrote:Are they looking at us??

Again with the ego-centrism, gosh are we bordering on solipsism over here? Also, yes, they totally are looking at us. :D

Obligatory TV Tropes link

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

juliancolton

Postby juliancolton » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

Part of me is a little uneasy about Cueball's last comment. I know "it" logically refers to the castle, but I still have this niggling feeling that he could mean the ocean is going to go away.

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

I'm delurking from page 300 to say hi! Page 400! Woot.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

juliancolton wrote:Part of me is a little uneasy about Cueball's last comment. I know "it" logically refers to the castle, but I still have this niggling feeling that he could mean the ocean is going to go away.

Stupid pronouns. I concur, it is not entirely apparent what he means.

Also, congratulations on your CentaPapacy.

Drakeesh

Postby Drakeesh » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

I choose to believe (what I was programmed to believe) that they are talking about the sea (which is big) going away. Not the Castle.
Sir Aheem, Defender of the Former Right Flag, Keeper of the Shards of the Shattered Right Tower

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”