1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jafloi

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Jafloi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
Jafloi wrote:
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Ok, so it looks like no one found these recent newpix to be as ominous as I did. When they looked at us and said, "I think it's going to go away," and then kept looking at us, my first thought was that Randall was trying to tell us that The One True Comic was going away--that we are approaching the End of Time. Sounds like nobody else got that, though, so maybe I'm wrong.

I sorta felt the same way too.

Felt like that, too, but didn't dare say write it out, just in case it was actually true... :(

By the way:
Any ideas what this will turn out to be?

Free (imaginary) coffee and chicken salad sandwich, with optional mayo to the first that get it right :D

BlitzGirl on ice?

Getting closer, but still not there... Go try some of Latent22's delicious cake, maybe that will help?

[Edit:] comatime!
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
Latent22 wrote:We are still having a party for BlitzGirl's arrival in the OTC on page 380/381. There is still some cake left over if anyone wants it. But if you want any you have to go back and eat it in a past edit on page 381.

Shouldn't you quickly quote the "it's Blitzgirl" line before serving the cake, so that she doesn't get confused? Just suggestions. Also, jealous because I can't have any cake.

Edit: Unless BlitzGirl brings some into the future with her vest of many pockets...

Yeah adding more quotes is a good idea. Added a quote of an edit which had a another quote of another edit. By quoting all these edits it kind of makes them seem more real :)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
thirds wrote:"Something is adding water to the sea"

So, it's actually just water. sad-trombone.

Hmm, I hadn't picked up on that. Of course, we don't know what world they're on, so it could be that what they refer to as "water" is really semencancercoffeebaconice9babypixeltoner.

I'm afraid Randall will have to spell it out for us, as the sea can still be made of semencancerbabies and be having water added to it. Nice try, R.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

ShouldhavebeenacomaDONG!
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Yikes, I go away for a few hours, and I've got three four newpages to catch up...

buffygirl wrote:Added to the hat queue mob
-Eternal Density
-mscha

Thanks, much appreciated!

descor wrote:Is newpixbot broken?

Just want to confirm what people already concluded: newpixbot posted because it couldn't find a recent post containing the current hash¹.

Caswallon wrote:So, any predictions for what will happen when we hit the 400th NewPage and the 16,001st newpost on this thread?

The 400th newpage, is (was) that a leap newpage?

macraw83 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:The only things that could be worse from her perspective would be another page of rot13, or a link back to the first post, creating a loop from which she could never escape.

You mean, like this?

Aww, that's so cute, look how naive we were back then... (I say “we”, but I think nobody from page 1 is around anymore.)

HAL9000 wrote:I'm officially declaring a breakaway sect that names the first poster on each page (at that page's genesis, so ignoring changes due to deletion/mod-approved newbie posts) as Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer for that page.

We're doing that again?
I can't wait until I'm the first poster on the page, so I can disband the papacy again...

Jafloi wrote:Seems like the new dyke is not helping...

Too early to tell. Sea level hasn't risen much yet since it was built; once it rises significantly above the ground level behind the dyke, we'll see what happens.

BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:Haven't seen BlitzGirl around for ages... I'm getting worried about her.

*waves* Still back here, plodding along as usual!

BlitzGirl acknowledged my existence! I'm so happy! *waves back*
Anyway, we've seen plenty of activity from you since I posted that, so I wasn't worried anymore.

Indeed, this is the first time the word “water” is mentioned, so now we know it's not caffeinatedsemencancerbabies² or whatever³.

descor wrote:
KarMann wrote:
vvn wrote:
Caswallon wrote:It wasn't the ONG, it was the Image url. you need to get the full hash filename: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/56cc97 ... ddc133.png
It is a common mistake.
Try quoting your own post above, then see what the URL shows up as.

I have been uploading the image as an attachment. I figured it is both better proof against server problems and preserves the record against change. Is posting the url better?

Woo hoo! Time for a new schism! It's been too long.

The newpixbot doesn't seem to recognise this method of GONGing and I'm reluctant to get on the wrong side of our future robotic overlords.

The newpixbot actually only cares about the hash¹, so if you post 56cc974221e231683bd46f5a3185f3660b9f791ad051257d1b42f8e474ddc133.png with an unchanged filename, newpixbot will be happy and not post. (This has happened in the past.)
However, I'd stick with posting the link. That's what most of us are doing, so that's nice and consistent. Also, imgs.xkcd.com is very stable, much more so than the forum server (or c.xkcd.com, etc.).

¹: which probably isn't really a hash⁴
²: why does my spelling checker not like this word, it's perfectly good English, no?
³: but then again, why should we believe Cueball, what does he know about the sea?
⁴: can you do that, re-use a footnote?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

Jafloi wrote:ShouldhavebeenacomaDONG!

It's water!
It's water!

IT'S WATER!

Wheee!
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

Anyone else thinking about tidal waves? Doesn't the sea rise up like this right before one hits?
*Insert witty comment*

descor

Postby descor » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I'm officially declaring a breakaway sect that names the first poster on each page (at that page's genesis, so ignoring changes due to deletion/mod-approved newbie posts) as Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer for that page.

We're doing that again?
I can't wait until I'm the first poster on the page, so I can disband the papacy again...

As I am PFNP this page, allow me:

I hereby declare that the first poster of a NewPage will no longer become the PFNP for now and all of Time (in the forwards direction).

There, now nobody can take the papacy away from me! I am Pope forever, Muhahahahahaha
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:13 pm UTC

Now why did none of us think of that?

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:It's water!
It's water!

IT'S WATER!
Does it have to be water? Maybe someone is adding semen somewhere.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

EraObserver wrote:Anyone else thinking about tidal waves? Doesn't the sea rise up like this right before one hits?

Au contraire. It's when the sea suddenly pulls back that you need to run for the hills.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

What is raising the level of the sea? Could be BHG's submarine. Though, that might not be gradual enough. Global warming. Yep.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:It's water!
It's water!

IT'S WATER!
Does it have to be water? Maybe someone is adding semen somewhere.

It's irrelevant. For all intents and purposes, it's >99% water.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Kabuthunk

Postby Kabuthunk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

Kabuthunk wrote:My prediction... I have a feeling that this won't be some thing that just ends by next week. I get the feeling that this will end up being some massive story of sorts that lasts for a full year, with several updates a day.

Man, the more I watch this thing, the more I think that my guess way the hell back on page 12 was too terribly inaccurate.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

descor wrote:
mscha wrote:

We're doing that again?

As I am PFNP this page, allow me:

I hereby declare that the first poster of a NewPage will no longer become the PFNP for now and all of Time (in the forwards direction).

There, now nobody can take the papacy away from me! I am Pope forever, Muhahahahahaha

And yet, the Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customership remains untouched. And it shall remain that way.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
macraw83 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:The only things that could be worse from her perspective would be another page of rot13, or a link back to the first post, creating a loop from which she could never escape.

You mean, like this?

Aww, that's so cute, look how naive we were back then... (I say “we”, but I think nobody from page 1 is around anymore.)

I wouldn't consider myself a part of "we", but I was there on the first page. I saw the beginning of it all and I never would have imagined it developing into this.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

vvn

Postby vvn » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:29 pm UTC

I was pondering how the OTC would be displayed on xkcd after the End of Time. The most obvious seemed to be letting it run through the entire process over and over. This then reminded me of the Book of Kells, which they keep under glass and turn one page a day.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

Goggalor wrote:
mscha wrote:
macraw83 wrote:

You mean, like this?

I wouldn't consider myself a part of "we", but I was there on the first page. I saw the beginning of it all and I never would have imagined it developing into this.

Indeed you were! Someone give this (wo)man an award for being here through 400+ newpages! :D
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

That's it, I refuse to believe Randall isn't reading this thread.

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

De-lurking from page . . . 150 or something.

I know I should stop placing "outside" assumptions on the comic, and assuming that the sea works in a similar fashion to how it does on the "outside", but their confusion over the sea is starting to annoy me. They can move mountains of sand, they apparently have construction materials to hand, but they can't, or won't, decipher the basic facts about why the sea keeps rising.

I love them for their sandcastles, but their continued cluelessness frustrates me.

Also, I want Randall to bring back LaPetite, her brief appearance intrigued me and I want more.
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:50 pm UTC

Khrushy wrote:De-lurking from page . . . 150 or something.

I know I should stop placing "outside" assumptions on the comic, and assuming that the sea works in a similar fashion to how it does on the "outside", but their confusion over the sea is starting to annoy me. They can move mountains of sand, they apparently have construction materials to hand, but they can't, or won't, decipher the basic facts about why the sea keeps rising.

I love them for their sandcastles, but their continued cluelessness frustrates me.

Also, I want Randall to bring back LaPetite, her brief appearance intrigued me and I want more.

Thence the speculation about the "sea" being an inland sea, not a sea, or otherwise not subject to usual tidal forces. Or said tidal forces would be acting in a different direction at the time of the OTC - e.g. maybe it should be low tide right now.

Purplepants77

Postby Purplepants77 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

azule wrote:

<snip>
I'm afraid Randall will have to spell it out for us, as the sea can still be made of semencancerbabies and be having water added to it. Nice try, R.

Haha, I had exactly that same thought, All they said was they were adding more water to the sea, which could still be made of semencoffeecancerbaconbabies. Even still, now we know they know it might not be water1:

Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:

That's it, I refuse to believe Randall isn't reading this thread.

Latent22 wrote:We are still having a party for BlitzGirl's arrival in the OTC on page 380/381.

Sadly, I posted not a single thing on those pages :(

1 Yeah, I know, I know, she was talking about what is being added in, not whats there so this doesn't help or hurt my case at all. But still, I'm holding out hope for the semencaffeinatedbaconcacercoffeebabies theory since they have yet to say anything definitive about the actual liquid currently contained in the sea, regardless of what is being added :P
Still blitzing away and will be for some time.

Current Location: NP 1432
NP from Present: 891
Current Progress: 61.6%

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:00 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Goggalor wrote:
mscha wrote:
macraw83 wrote:

You mean, like this?

Indeed you were! Someone give this (wo)man an award for being here through 400+ newpages! :D

I demand a title and/or a hat! Just kidding. Either of those would be cool though.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:01 am UTC

Yin-Yong
Edit: yay.

ALSO: Do you think they might be in some kind of a biosphere experiment
or in a spaceship travelling to a distant planet that is getting near its destination so that the gravity of the new sun starts to make a difference?
It's about time.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:16 am UTC

EraObserver wrote:Anyone else thinking about tidal waves? Doesn't the sea rise up like this right before one hits?

I think my previous charts have proved that this is not a any kind of wave or tide, because that would be sinusoidal and the rise here seems more like a constant rate, or perhaps linked to some other process.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:20 am UTC

Goggalor wrote:
mscha wrote:Indeed you were! Someone give this (wo)man an award for being here through 400+ newpages! :D

I demand a title and/or a hat! Just kidding. Either of those would be cool though.

Can't help with the hat, but

War and Peace.

There ya go.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

htom

Postby htom » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:21 am UTC

mscha wrote:

Au contraire. It's when the sea suddenly pulls back that you need to run for the hills.

By then you've got at most minutes (at most, maybe ten.) First warning can be a slight rise (a couple of minutes), then the fallback. Or you can have none. It depends on where you are when the leading edge of the wave train arrives, it can be advancing or retreating.

Kieryn -- this could indeed be (except for how long it's taking) be the leading edge before the retreat.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:24 am UTC

htom wrote:Kieryn -- this could indeed be (except for how long it's taking) be the leading edge before the retreat.

Except that still I would hypothesize that the initial rise would still follow a sine curve profile, or at least a simple polynomial.

P.S. Excited to be wearing my hat now :-) So am I clergy now? What does this mean? Can I officiate weddings?
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:36 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:Buffygirl, I feel like I've done enough for a hat now. Could I please have a hat? Edit: It might need to be small, since I have speech over my head. Or it could encompass the speech. Or you could move the speech.

*nod nods*
You are now in the mob.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:40 am UTC

I'm a couple of hours early, but it's way past coma time here.
So let me be the first to congratulate ourselves on our one month tempoversary!
time_first_anniversary.png

(Uh oh, I'm a heretic, I'm using Outside time reckoning.)
Last edited by mscha on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:24 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:40 am UTC

For mscha.
Attachments
mscha-hat.jpg
mscha-hat.jpg (5.43 KiB) Viewed 10204 times

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:43 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:For mscha.

Aw, that's so cute! Thanks!
And just in time to change my avatar before coma-ing.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:45 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:

I think my previous charts have proved that this is not a any kind of wave or tide, because that would be sinusoidal and the rise here seems more like a constant rate, or perhaps linked to some other process.

Ah. Well, that's what I get for being a slacker and not reading enough. Or bothering to look at Wikipedia before posting something...
*Insert witty comment*

vvn

Postby vvn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:53 am UTC

Buffygirl, your hats have been quite good lately.
Spoiler:

Especially since Dogbert would probably be horrified... :)

Edit: BTW, your own hat hasn't changed lately. Are you neglecting your own millinery?
Last edited by vvn on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:56 am UTC

I'd been adding additional dialogue as it appears to the Litany but I think the Litany is becoming unweieldy.... add it anyway, and ask congregants to tolerate the ever-lengthening worship service? Declare it all to be silent prayer? Perform interpretive dance instead?
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

vvn

Postby vvn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:58 am UTC

fhorn wrote:I'd been adding additional dialogue as it appears to the Litany but I think the Litany is becoming unweieldy.... add it anyway, and ask congregants to tolerate the ever-lengthening worship service? Declare it all to be silent prayer? Perform interpretive dance instead?

Perform the full service annually. Abbreviated services for more routine gatherings.

Edit: Interpretive dance would be fun.

Edit: I am Pope? I declare that I am not Pope! Also not Illuminati. Also not a Sandmason.
Last edited by vvn on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:02 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:59 am UTC

Eliram wrote:Yin-Yong
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/ceaf70 ... cd6bd1.png
Edit: yay.

ALSO: Do you think they might be in some kind of a biosphere experiment
or in a spaceship travelling to a distant planet that is getting near its destination so that the gravity of the new sun starts to make a difference?

Actually, it wouldn't be the force of gravity of the new sun that would matter, it would be the (wait for it) tidal forces that would be relevant. And while gravity decreases with the square of the distance, tidal effects decrease with the cube. And since a star/sun has considerably greater mass than a planet, this means that at the distance that produces a given amount of gravity, the tidal effect is much weaker.
For instance, the Moon's gravitational pull on the Earth is only about 1/200 that of the Sun, and yet the Moon's effect on the tides is about twice as great as the Sun's.
Last edited by KarMann on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:02 am UTC

Eliram wrote:ALSO: Do you think they might be in some kind of a biosphere experiment

I feel like that may have been suggested.... a few times already :)

But I still assume this is a RAMA sort of situation, and they are on incredibly large alien ship with a sea where they know very little about the mechanics governing their environment.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:02 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Honestly. Let's round up all known "seas" cut off from the oceans, so rivers may have an impact on the water level.
  • Aral sea - shrinking (the Rus tended some strange projects), not in the bucket.
  • Salton Sea. Three major rivers flowing into it, disqualifying.
  • Caspian Sea - holds (according to wikipedia) 78,200 km³. Which is a LOT. More so, it has a surface of 371,000 km². Melt water? Hum... would be a large iceberg to be melted. No.
  • البحر الميت, err, Dead See - Jordan (the river, not the Hennessy) would be the river. The only one, although some little springs are known around. Surface dropped over the last sixty years. Significantly. It could be, but I guess Cueball would have made a comment after swimming in it.
  • Great Salt Lake. Counts as a sea. Would be a possibility. Since it is a rather shallow one, the coastline changes heavy on rainfalls. On the other hand: Rivers, rivers, rivers.

If we ever get a line of white pixels at the bottom we'll know that it's the Dead Sea.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:07 am UTC

vvn wrote:Buffygirl, your hats have been quite good lately.
Spoiler:

Especially since Dogbert would probably be horrified... :)

Edit: BTW, your own hat hasn't changed lately. Are you neglecting your own millinery?

yes. Hence the terse replies. :)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”