1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

juliancolton

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby juliancolton » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:09 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:By 'bags' they most likely mean 'sandbags,' so the sea will be held back for a while.

Huh, I kinda figured she would cook up some kind of raft or dinghy thing with inflated bags so they could explore the seas.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:10 am UTC

EDIT: nevermind, sorry.
Last edited by buffygirl on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:10 am UTC

juliancolton wrote:
Goggalor wrote:Is this leading up to the end of Time, or the beginning of a new and glorious era of curiosity?

I'm feeling a new epoch instead of termination.

I concur with that prediction, and coma, I also coma now.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:11 am UTC

Perhaps she means gasbags for a balloon-like contraption of some sort?
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:14 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Perhaps she means gasbags for a balloon-like contraption of some sort?

They'll have to watch for spiders.
EDIT for link.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

htom

Postby htom » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:15 am UTC

My first thought was bags to put the castles in, so they could be taken away. I'll find out after a dozen or so newpixs, I hope. Must coma now.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

edo

Postby edo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:17 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Actually, it wouldn't be the force of gravity of the new sun that would matter, it would be the (wait for it) tidal forces that would be relevant. And while gravity decreases with the square of the distance, tidal effects decrease with the cube. And since a star/sun has considerably greater mass than a planet, this means that at the distance that produces a given amount of gravity, the tidal effect is much weaker.
For instance, the Moon's gravatational pull on the Earth is only about 1/200 that of the Sun, and yet the Moon's effect on the tides is about twice as great as the Sun's.

For this reason, I've been wondering if a huge asteroid/dwarf planet has been heading straight for them, and the rise in the sea has been due to the tidal forces. :shock:

That would suck.

jovialbard wrote: I've been tracking it too and my predictions have been pretty consistently around 470 for quite a while.
I'll take the under on that one.
Last edited by edo on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

edo

Postby edo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:25 am UTC

Edit: Sorry bout that.I didn't expect the post rate to have fallen off so much, and I hadn't quite caught up yet. now I will do my best to make this post go away...
Last edited by edo on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:58 am UTC, edited 8 times in total.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:38 am UTC

htom wrote:My first thought was bags to put the castles in, so they could be taken away. I'll find out after a dozen or so newpixs, I hope. Must coma now.

This was my second thought*. Those would have to be very big bags.

*My first thought was that she was referring to backpacks for their journey.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

edo

Postby edo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:00 am UTC

ReDONGculousImage

Edit: When I try to find this NewPage I get a 404...
Spoiler:
:P

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:12 am UTC

I had just decided to coma when I thought to myself that I should write down the page number upon which I had stopped reading (that page number being 404). Knowing I had a small whiteboard to my immediate right which I had cleaned months ago, I confidently reached for a pen, but as I turned my head I saw that the number 361 had already been written! What could it mean?!?

I can only conclude that this is a message to me from the past. I must now delve1 into my history to study newpage 361 to determine the Truth! NewPage 404 means nothing! Wait, who typed that? NewPage 404 is EVERYTHING! It's all we have!

1 this is sooooo not happening

Edits: language, typos, presentation, stuff....

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:30 am UTC

vvn wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Maybe it's Asteroid B-612.

From "Le petit prince":
The narrator explains that, as a young boy, he once drew a picture of a boa constrictor with an elephant digesting in its stomach; however, every adult who saw the picture would mistakenly interpret it as a drawing of a hat.
I want that hat!

You cannot have it! It is not yours to have . . . nor is it mine to give.

but I'll surely make a hat of it!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:33 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:I had just decided to coma when I thought to myself that I should write down the page number upon which I had stopped reading (that page number being 404). Knowing I had a small whiteboard to my immediate right which I had cleaned months ago, I confidently reached for a pen, but as I turned my head I saw that the number 361 had already been written! What could it mean?!?

I can only conclude that this is a message to me from the past. I must now delve1 into my history to study newpage 361 to determine the Truth! NewPage 404 means nothing! Wait, who typed that? NewPage 404 is EVERYTHING! It's all we have!

1 this is sooooo not happening

Edits: language, typos, presentation, stuff....

Let's see... 361 is 19 squared... also is a centered triangular number, a centered octagonal number, a centered decagonal number, a member of the Mian–Chowla sequence, and the number of positions on a standard 19 x 19 Go board.

I'm so much smarter sounding when wikipedia's around.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:41 am UTC

vvn wrote:

From "Le petit prince":
The narrator explains that, as a young boy, he once drew a picture of a boa constrictor with an elephant digesting in its stomach; however, every adult who saw the picture would mistakenly interpret it as a drawing of a hat.
I want that hat!

Pour toi 1

1 EXCEPT THAT YOU DON'T NEED ANOTHER HAT!!! *pouts*

EDIT: Just aesthetic stuff.
Attachments
LePetitPrince-elephant-s.jpg
LePetitPrince-elephant-s.jpg (4.8 KiB) Viewed 8703 times
Last edited by buffygirl on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:57 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
vvn wrote:

From "Le petit prince":
I want that hat!

Pour toi.1

1 EXCEPT THAT YOU DON'T NEED ANOTHER HAT!!! *pouts*

That hat. That elephant. That ambitious snake.
For a while, I thought it was a Bell Shaped Curve.

I don't know what the Data is. It has that dip. And one side is larger than the other.
The tails are Long. What could it be?

Spoiler:
oh. The Human Life?
Starts out flat.
Bumps up to a Grand ole' Time.

Those middle years slumped a little.
Was that the Angst of Adolescence?

Then back up to more fun, fun, fun.
Ends, flat.

ho hum. It's an Elephant inside a Snake.
What is so hard to understand about that?

A Boy with a pencil can set the Elephant free.
It would be an ok hat, after you take the elephant out of it.

Elephants are heavy. That's the Rumor.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:58 am UTC

vvn wrote:
fhorn wrote:I'd been adding additional dialogue as it appears to the Litany but I think the Litany is becoming unweieldy.... add it anyway, and ask congregants to tolerate the ever-lengthening worship service? Declare it all to be silent prayer? Perform interpretive dance instead?

Perform the full service annually. Abbreviated services for more routine gatherings.

Edit: Interpretive dance would be fun.

Edit: I am Pope? I declare that I am not Pope! Also not Illuminati. Also not a Sandmason.

I'm also not a Sandmason! *wink*
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:00 am UTC

SARONG!

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:01 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
descor wrote:PINGPONG

They really don't get the sea do they?

The thing is, though, "sea" can also refer to an inland sea. What if the sea is normally quite stable, with no inflow/outflow an equal inflow/outflow, and something has unbalanced it? We could be looking at a potentially apocalyptic weather phenomena here people!

Like the Skrillex Storm?

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:03 am UTC

Megan's losing it...

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:04 am UTC

For the first time, I am actually afraid that they won't come back. Unless Time ends soon they probably will, but I'm a little afraid.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:06 am UTC

manvandmaan wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
descor wrote:PINGPONG

They really don't get the sea do they?

The thing is, though, "sea" can also refer to an inland sea. What if the sea is normally quite stable, with no inflow/outflow an equal inflow/outflow, and something has unbalanced it? We could be looking at a potentially apocalyptic weather phenomena here people!

Like the Skrillex Storm?

Actually, the Michael Bay-directed Cassini storm might be more appropriate for this one. The earlier in-comic one might not be bad, either. That is, it might be very bad, if you catch my drift.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:08 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:For the first time, I am actually afraid that they won't come back. Unless Time ends soon they probably will, but I'm a little afraid.

I dunno, despite the melancholy tone this has taken, the last bit of dialog begs for a bit of action, if not adventure.

They're taking an initiative in scientific inquiry! When has that ever ended badly?

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:14 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
tman2nd wrote:For the first time, I am actually afraid that they won't come back. Unless Time ends soon they probably will, but I'm a little afraid.

I dunno, despite the melancholy tone this has taken, the last bit of dialog begs for a bit of action, if not adventure.

They're taking an initiative in scientific inquiry! When has that ever ended badly?

I definitely think they aren't leaving for good*, but I momentarily considered the idea that they're going to leave, and we'll be left here to watch the sea rise.

*or if they are, we're leaving with them

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:29 am UTC

I figured it out! M&C will leave. They will explore. They will learn. We will not go with them. BUT, LaPetite will come in after a pause and implement her mischief. We will get to enjoy a new perspective on the scene. She will leave it in ruins, or leave it even more impressive. M&C will return surprised at what they see (LaPetite being there or not) but it won't matter much. They will have the knowledge they need to get back home.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:39 am UTC

azule wrote:I figured it out! M&C will leave. They will explore. They will learn. We will not go with them. BUT, LaPetite will come in after a pause and implement her mischief. We will get to enjoy a new perspective on the scene. She will leave it in ruins, or leave it even more impressive. M&C will return surprised at what they see (LaPetite being there or not) but it won't matter much. They will have the knowledge they need to get back home.

And where do you fit the sea rise in your theory? :roll:
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:45 am UTC

Flado wrote:
higgs-boson wrote: [Did I miss one?

Black Sea, of course. Been there countless times, never knew what "tide" was. Tastes better than the rest, though.

The Black Sea has a connection to the Atlantic Ocean... but point taken.
In fact, I skipped a lot of seas which are not completely landlocked, but with a (regarding tides) irrrelevant connection to the oceans. Darn.
Today's dialogue, however, indicates something not too well-explored. I wonder in what kind of biosphere Megan got herself into.

Tova wrote:If Randall isn't conducting an elaborate social experiment with this comic, he should be. This thread is about ten times as fascinating to watch as the comic.

That'd be heresy. You should thank The Time Lord that Arch Cardinal Buffygirl's meddle with the time (sending messages back in time to warn Blizgirl of rot13) made her vulnerable to the InquisCongregatio pro doctrina fidei. Otherwise she'd already seen you beheadhatted.

What to fear more? Them going and Time ending? Or them going and Time not ending, leaving us waiting for one-pixel-changes on water level, maybe a switch to longlongpixes, and, maybe, if we are very lucky, eventually some action with la Petite...?
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:55 am UTC

XonqNopp wrote:
azule wrote:I figured it out! M&C will leave. They will explore. They will learn. We will not go with them. BUT, LaPetite will come in after a pause and implement her mischief. We will get to enjoy a new perspective on the scene. She will leave it in ruins, or leave it even more impressive. M&C will return surprised at what they see (LaPetite being there or not) but it won't matter much. They will have the knowledge they need to get back home.

And where do you fit the sea rise in your theory? :roll:

In this theory it fits neatly with the destructive child. In opposition, the sea rise could be wrangled by the inventiveness of a prodigious child (where she leaves the place more impressive means she also took care of this issue). And before you ask, there's probably some even cooler trebuchets or other types of cannons created by her too.

btw, love your location. hehe.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:00 am UTC

BOMBAY BADONKADONG
Spoiler:
Last edited by Latent22 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:02 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:BOMBAY BADONKADONG
Spoiler:

Hey, cheater! :shock:

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:03 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:BOMBAY BADONKADONG
Spoiler:

Duuuude! Not funny!
I thought it was for real :(
Last edited by manvandmaan on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:03 am UTC

If no one posts it...

Kowabonga!!

EDIT: had to fix BBcode since is not the same as LaTeX... :?
Last edited by XonqNopp on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:04 am UTC

This whole scenario, including all the inane comments and suppositions, has become so painfully boring that I can't take any more. I no longer care (not that I really ever did) what happens to the two main characters or their creations. They should build a raft, put out to sea, fall off the raft and be eaten by giant sea turtles. If this was all on a DVD that I had paid for, I'd be begging to trade it for the much more exciting Ishtar or Waterworld. I realize that most of you feel this is all a lot of fun but if your lives are such that this is fun, then maybe you should reevaluate your lives. Over 16,000 posts in over 400 pages? Real problems could have been solved w\ith that much time and effort.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:20 am UTC

Davidy wrote:[...] Real problems could have been solved w\ith that much time and effort.

Do not go to the cinema.
Do not play any video games.
Do not have sex for fun only.
Do not read books for entertainment.

Don't do anything just for entertainment, at all!
... for you could solve real problems with the time and effort used.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:20 am UTC

Davidy wrote:This whole scenario, including all the inane comments and suppositions, has become so painfully boring that I can't take any more. I no longer care (not that I really ever did) what happens to the two main characters or their creations. They should build a raft, put out to sea, fall off the raft and be eaten by giant sea turtles. If this was all on a DVD that I had paid for, I'd be begging to trade it for the much more exciting Ishtar or Waterworld. I realize that most of you feel this is all a lot of fun but if your lives are such that this is fun, then maybe you should reevaluate your lives. Over 16,000 posts in over 400 pages? Real problems could have been solved w\ith that much time and effort.

You forgot to add "/rant".

I would say that you probably don't even believe yourself if you feel the need to announce your departure (or apathy). I would say to come back when you feel it interests you again. No harm staying or leaving. This is a special thread, but if you have some sort of life, I'm glad. Enjoy it. See you later. :) You'll still be welcome.

higgs-boson wrote:Do not go to the cinema.
Do not play any video games.
Do not have sex for fun only.
Do not read books for entertainment.

Don't do anything just for entertainment, at all!
... for you could solve real problems with the time and effort used.

Agreed. The OTC was teaching us from the beginning to enjoy the little things, not to see them as problems that just need to be ignored. Enjoy life, help people. It's your choice.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:26 am UTC

ggh wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:Honestly. Let's round up all known "seas" cut off from the oceans, so rivers may have an impact on the water level.
  • Aral sea - shrinking (the Rus tended some strange projects), not in the bucket.
  • Salton Sea. Three major rivers flowing into it, disqualifying.
  • Caspian Sea - holds (according to wikipedia) 78,200 km³. Which is a LOT. More so, it has a surface of 371,000 km². Melt water? Hum... would be a large iceberg to be melted. No.
  • البحر الميت, err, Dead See - Jordan (the river, not the Hennessy) would be the river. The only one, although some little springs are known around. Surface dropped over the last sixty years. Significantly. It could be, but I guess Cueball would have made a comment after swimming in it.
  • Great Salt Lake. Counts as a sea. Would be a possibility. Since it is a rather shallow one, the coastline changes heavy on rainfalls. On the other hand: Rivers, rivers, rivers.

If we ever get a line of white pixels at the bottom we'll know that it's the Dead Sea.

Actually, the sand at the dead sea is quite suitable for building strong sandcastles, there are several hotels nearby so they can get the supplies, and the water do taste like PFFFTH (Frame 487).
On the other hand, it might be the sea of Galilee. It's level is carefully monitored, it has one river going in from the north and out from the south. However, there is no real sand around it. Mostly pebbles and mud.

P.S. I think they will get sandbags, drop them in the sea and watch for a rise in the sea level.
It's about time.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:33 am UTC

azule wrote:
Spoiler:
Davidy wrote:This whole scenario, including all the inane comments and suppositions, has become so painfully boring that I can't take any more. I no longer care (not that I really ever did) what happens to the two main characters or their creations. They should build a raft, put out to sea, fall off the raft and be eaten by giant sea turtles. If this was all on a DVD that I had paid for, I'd be begging to trade it for the much more exciting Ishtar or Waterworld. I realize that most of you feel this is all a lot of fun but if your lives are such that this is fun, then maybe you should reevaluate your lives. Over 16,000 posts in over 400 pages? Real problems could have been solved w\ith that much time and effort.

I would say that you probably don't even believe yourself if you feel the need to announce your departure (or apathy). I would say to come back when you feel it interests you again. No harm staying or leaving. This is a special thread, but if you have some sort of life, I'm glad. Enjoy it. See you later. :) You'll still be welcome.

Thanks, Azule. I was thinking the same thing. If it's so boring, why not just log out? Why take the time to write that rant? Maybe trying to start a flame war, or live up to his avatar. Whatever, looks like he logged out, so that's fine. Nobody's forcing him to follow the thread. Or maybe someone is, and that's why he's so upset.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:35 am UTC

I'm thinking hot air balloon. Just in case anyone was wondering. Or not. :mrgreen:
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:39 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Eliram wrote:ALSO: Do you think they might be in some kind of a biosphere experiment
or in a spaceship travelling to a distant planet that is getting near its destination so that the gravity of the new sun starts to make a difference?

Actually, it wouldn't be the force of gravity of the new sun that would matter, it would be the (wait for it) tidal forces that would be relevant. And while gravity decreases with the square of the distance, tidal effects decrease with the cube. And since a star/sun has considerably greater mass than a planet, this means that at the distance that produces a given amount of gravity, the tidal effect is much weaker.
For instance, the Moon's gravitational pull on the Earth is only about 1/200 that of the Sun, and yet the Moon's effect on the tides is about twice as great as the Sun's.

That is something I was not aware of. Thanks.

Since the tidal effect is a result of (commulative & rotational) gravity, I am not really sure why this is. I know tide is supposed to be more intense when the sun and the moon are aligned on the same line with the earth, so the sun does have a significant effect, but I didn't do the calculations.

EDIT: What? Pope? Me?
That is amazing! Thank you all for posting all these posts in the previous page just before I posted this one, I want to thank my parents who bought me my first computer, and I promise to be a good Jewish pope for the rest of this page.
Thank you!
(I knew it would be worth it to suggest the Pope-of-the-page thingy eventually)
Last edited by Eliram on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's about time.

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:39 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
azule wrote:
Spoiler:

Thanks, Azule. I was thinking the same thing. If it's so boring, why not just log out? Why take the time to write that rant? Maybe trying to start a flame war, or live up to his avatar. Whatever, looks like he logged out, so that's fine. Nobody's forcing him to follow the thread. Or maybe someone is, and that's why he's so upset.

Hope no-one is forcing him, that wouldn't be nice... And Davidy, if you read this, good luck with your outsider life, even if you find that this tread should not be a part of it...
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:40 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:My only guess is that the images may be hosted on different physical servers and so depending on dns or other load balancing measures we can be downloading different versions of the comic frames at different times. And different servers may have different time stamps in the images.

Well there seem to be three different servers at least in DNS... could be more, hiding behind a front-end.

Code: Select all

# nslookup imgs.xkcd.com
imgs.xkcd.com   canonical name = 2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com.
Name:   2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com
Address: 72.26.217.136
Address: 208.122.31.17
Address: 72.26.217.137
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”