1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

buffygirl
Cardinal

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:14 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Buffygirl, I'd like to request a hat - just a hat, mind - with the sole condition that I put it on myself. I have the source file, after all.
Surprise me :D

*sighs* You do not understand how the Haberdashery of Arch-Cardinal BuffyGirl works.

- You request a Hat.
- You provide BuffyGirl with an idea upon which to build your Hat.
- She builds the Hat.
- You accept the Hat.

Arch-Cardinal BuffyGirl of General Millinery and Awesome Hattisomeness does not accept direction. No Hat For You.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:18 am UTC

richP wrote:It's not the end until the view pans out and over the sandcastles...

(And we see that the sandcastles spell out "goodbye" when seen from above.
Ask an old person, kids!)

Well, I might decide to be like Klinger -- get married to Soon-Lee Megan and stay right here in Korea Sand-Castle Land.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:20 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Buffygirl, I'd like to request a hat - just a hat, mind - with the sole condition that I put it on myself. I have the source file, after all.

*sighs* You do not understand how the Haberdashery of Arch-Cardinal BuffyGirl works.

- You request a Hat.
- She builds the Hat.
- You accept the Hat.

Arch-Cardinal BuffyGirl of General Millinery and Awesome Hattisomeness does not accept direction. No Hat For You.

Looks like its going to be 8,760 Newpix before you can apply for a new hat ChronosDragon!

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:21 am UTC

Buffygirl, may I be added to the hat queue? I believe I'm the only person from the first page of Time to still be active1 in this needle-pulled thing. I think that should make one hat-worthy. also my buffalo man would look so dapper in fancy bowler or derby hat.

1I'm not highly active, but I'm here.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:25 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
buffygirl wrote:AluisioASG, I like your new *ahem* hat. *pouts* but ..... WAHHHHHHHH! *cries*

I know you're busy so I had to improvise one. Feel free to make me another one: just take this, take the hair out (this is a really important step) and put the hat (preferentially a fedora, as it fits the fact I my avatar is bald).

What do you mean, busy?!?? I already made you one!!!

*BIG POUT*

Since I changed avatars, I mean.

That's the point, helloooo. the Arch Cardinal deigned to make you a hat... and you go and switch avatars! the gall!

I'd rather hear these words from the Arch-Cardinal herself, and not from anyone who thinks that may speak for her.

Valarya wrote:Good thing we EUTs don't get caught up in all that hat business. could you imagine a hat on my EYE?!

There is hair above your eye, therefore there is space for a hat.

Now go and jump off a cliff.
If you are still here, sudo go jump off a cliff.
If you are still here, take a look at my signature and sudo go jump off a cliff.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:30 am UTC

Valarya wrote:That's the point, helloooo. the Arch Cardinal deigned to make you a hat... and you go and switch avatars! the gall!
Good thing we EUTs don't get caught up in all that hat business. could you imagine a hat on my EYE?!

Valarya's in the queue mob

aeglaeca

Postby aeglaeca » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:31 am UTC

Goggalor wrote:Buffygirl, may I be added to the hat queue? I believe I'm the only person from the first page of Time to still be active1 in this needle-pulled thing. I think that should make one hat-worthy. also my buffalo man would look so dapper in fancy bowler or derby hat.

You wouldn't happen to be from Buffalo, would you? Are you the Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo who buffalo Buffalo buffalo

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:33 am UTC

Goggalor wrote:Buffygirl, may I be added to the hat queue? I believe I'm the only person from the first page of Time to still be active1 in this needle-pulled thing. I think that should make one hat-worthy. also my buffalo man would look so dapper in fancy bowler or derby hat.

Added.

AluisioASG wrote:
Valarya wrote:That's the point, helloooo. the Arch Cardinal deigned to make you a hat... and you go and switch avatars! the gall!

I'd rather hear these words from the Arch-Cardinal herself, and not from anyone who thinks that may speak for her.

What she (Valarya) said. See Below.
buffygirl wrote: (to AluisioASG)

- You request a Hat.
- She builds the Hat.
- You accept the Hat.

EDITS: to clarify and fix quotes and generally make my point more clear.

EDIT: Fixed spelling for AluisioASG
Last edited by buffygirl on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:05 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:42 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

- You request a Hat.
- She builds the Hat.
- You accept the Hat.

Looks like its going to be 8,760 Newpix before you can apply for a new hat ChronosDragon!

I am deeply apologetic. I had not realized that such a transgression was so easily attainable nor so deeply incriminating. I would like to offer up my heartfelt remorse for having performed the heinous crime of attempting to finagle the system to my own ends, and humbly request the services of Arch-Cardinal Haberdasher Extraordinaire Buffygirl the Magnificent in conferring my bare, unornamented scalp with one of her luxurious pieces of cranial vestment. Realizing the err of my ways, I am providing her Magnificence with a full-resolution template of my avatar upon which she may work her haberdashermagickery at the following Universal Resource Location: link.

Humbly yours,
ChronosDragon the Unworthy.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:43 am UTC

When the cat is away...

And for your next question. Oh yes. Yes yes. Yes I did.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:46 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

What she (Valarya) said.

In this case I humbly apologize to you, Arch-Cardinal. However, it must be noticed that Change is the nature of Time itself, as we could witness in these almost nine hundred frames. It's it's own nature to change, slowly but surely, while it draws its plans against us. And so as Time itself changes, so does my avatar.

buffygirl wrote: (to AlusioASG)

- You request a Hat.
- She builds the Hat.
- You accept the Hat.

I'd rather classify my words under #2, "provide BuffyGirl with an idea upon which to build your Hat".
Also, I did accept your hat. Acceptance doesn't (legally binding) mean permanent use.
Also, you missed a character on my nickname.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:53 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:49 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

- You request a Hat.
- She builds the Hat.
- You accept the Hat.

I am deeply apologetic. I had not realized that such a transgression was so easily attainable nor so deeply incriminating. I would like to offer up my heartfelt remorse for having performed the heinous crime of attempting to finagle the system to my own ends, and humbly request the services of Arch-Cardinal Haberdasher Extraordinaire Buffygirl the Magnificent in conferring my bare, unornamented scalp with one of her luxurious pieces of cranial vestment. Realizing the err of my ways, I am providing her Magnificence with a full-resolution template of my avatar upon which she may work her haberdashermagickery at the following Universal Resource Location: link.

Humbly yours,
ChronosDragon the Unworthy.

Added.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:52 am UTC

Good waiting to you all. I must coma now and will be in the outside for a period of approximately 90 longpix. May your hats be fancy, your BlitzGirls speedy, and your Time joyfully unexpected.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:53 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Acceptance doesn't (legally binding) mean permanent use.

*shrugs* fair 'nuff . . . or so I would like you to think ... mwahhh hahh hahh hah

AluisioASG wrote:Also, you missed a character on my nickname.

Fixed

EDIT: added spellfix
Last edited by buffygirl on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:55 am UTC

For all those about to coma, I will be uploading a prediction (hint in last post) for the next 800 newpix or so in about 30 minutesish... Guess you could wait until tomorrow I suppose.
Image- Kieryn

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:55 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:

*shrugs* fair 'nuff . . . or so I would like you to think ... mwahhh hahh hahh hah

Being an Arch-Cardinal of one of the Religions of Time, I thought you would give more significance to the text before that quote (and after the first quote).
Also, beware... I know many demons lawyers...
Last edited by AluisioASG on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Perilous_3D

Postby Perilous_3D » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:57 am UTC

You've been talking for hours
You say, "Time will wash every tower to the sea,"
And now you've got this worry in your heart

AK49BWL

Postby AK49BWL » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:00 am UTC

BRONZONG!

Well that was anticlimatic Wait for It...I'm gonna go coma.
Follower of the One True Comic

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:03 am UTC

In this period of lack of Megan and Cueball (and BlitzGirl-incarnated-in-comic-form), we must do as we have always done: Wait For It.
*sigh*

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:07 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:
cmyk wrote:
tman2nd wrote:For the first time, I am actually afraid that they won't come back. Unless Time ends soon they probably will, but I'm a little afraid.

I dunno, despite the melancholy tone this has taken, the last bit of dialog begs for a bit of action, if not adventure.

They're taking an initiative in scientific inquiry! When has that ever ended badly?

I definitely think they aren't leaving for good*, but I momentarily considered the idea that they're going to leave, and we'll be left here to watch the sea rise.

*or if they are, we're leaving with them

I'm not quite so sure about this anymore. My fear has grown. :(
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Purplepants77

Postby Purplepants77 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:07 am UTC

Not sure what happened here, edited to fix. Now it says what I meant it to say:

"Why is this comment here?"
Last edited by Purplepants77 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Still blitzing away and will be for some time.

Current Location: NP 1432
NP from Present: 891
Current Progress: 61.6%

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:09 am UTC

In about 950 more newpix from now...

Spoiler:
Image- Kieryn

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:12 am UTC

Newcomic update. http://xkcd.com/1204/
Is Randall telling us to search for Meagan and Cueball using Google Earth?
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:13 am UTC

So I was listening through my collection of EPs by the Mountain Goats and found this gem1 of a song.

Wait for You2
Spoiler:
When it came time to wait for you
I took the bus to Malibu
Found a cafe by the ocean
Watched the sky for signs
And a rainbow in the west
Wrapped its coils around the earth
Like a serpent
I felt like I was going to suffocate

And I knew this was not the day
You would finally come my way
But I waited all the same
Watched the water through the window
And a rainbow in the west
Held its head beneath the waves
And grew dimmer
Nothing anyone could do, I suppose

There are some very vague similarities; waiting, the ocean,a vaguely haunting theme, looking for signs. However, no serpents or rainbows or rainbows acting like serpents have made an appearance. *fingers crossed*
1I consider every song by the Mountain Goats to be a gem, but this one was particularly gem-worthy.
2 When I glanced at the title I honestly read it as Wait for it
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

Being an Arch-Cardinal of one of the Religions of Time, I thought you would give more significance to the text before that quote (and after the first quote).
Also, beware... I know many demons lawyers...

Dude/tte, you want a BuffyGirl hat, you ask for a BuffyGirl hat. You receive a BuffyGirl hat, don't ask for another. You receive a BuffyGirl Hat and throw it into the back of your closet, don't ask for another.

You want to design your own hat, then design your own hat . . . and accept the wrath of the BufferDashery, because Buffy is the Maker of All Hats.

Thank you, btw.

EDIT: added a Buffy Title and Description of Horrific Consequences for Defying The BuffyGirl .... although perhaps one cannot remember the actual punishment...
Last edited by buffygirl on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:40 am UTC

AK49BWL wrote:DEWGONG1!
1I've been Waiting for far too long to use that one... Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

PKMN, right? WOOT!

Kieryn wrote:[Lemmings related post]
Spoiler:
When the cat is away...

And for your next question. Oh yes. Yes yes. Yes I did.

Dude! Another awesome video game related post!

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:40 am UTC

Ok, I don't know why I did this... I guess I kind of got obsessed with the idea the sandcastle building and maybe the whole comic was scripted back in the 1st NP century and so I had this old experiment lying around and... well... um...

Prediction for the next 900 newpix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSOWQYx7MYU
Image- Kieryn

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:45 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Ok, I don't know why I did this... I guess I kind of got obsessed with the idea the sandcastle building and maybe the whole comic was scripted back in the 1st NP century and so I had this old experiment lying around and... well... um...

O M G, what planet are you from, and will you marry me? shit, I'm already married.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:50 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Ok, I don't know why I did this... I guess I kind of got obsessed with the idea the sandcastle building and maybe the whole comic was scripted back in the 1st NP century and so I had this old experiment lying around and... well... um...

:o

aeglaeca

Postby aeglaeca » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:54 am UTC

Looked at your older video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXLY8TJJ4sw&list=UUtpzsxH86NoQeOTQAlT9OoA
Have to say, the last image below really looks like the terminator/sandman rising out of the beach.
Attachments
xkcdkieryn.jpg

htom

Postby htom » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:58 am UTC

There's a flash from the past.
Spoiler:
I think I would have taken it further, repeatedly blowing things up until they fell into the flatness of the beginning of Time, with C&M coming on the scene and looking about, "WTF?" and then sitting.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:01 am UTC

CAN"TTHINKOFAGOODONG
...barely time to wait...

htom

Postby htom » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:03 am UTC

Why did Megan leave three of the turrets on the left-most castle unflagged? Off to comaland.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:06 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:
Caswallon wrote:I know we have had at least one other attempt to track people's locations. But curious if anyone else is from the Puget Sound/Northwest US Region? Just noticed at least 2 other people who were.

I'm from Eugene, Oregon.
buffygirl wrote:For tman2nd.

Thanks! I love it. Lena looks perfect in that bedhat. :D

Yay!!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:23 am UTC

Jafloi wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
azule wrote:
Spoiler:
Davidy wrote:This whole scenario, including all the inane comments and suppositions, has become so painfully boring that I can't take any more. I no longer care (not that I really ever did) what happens to the two main characters or their creations. They should build a raft, put out to sea, fall off the raft and be eaten by giant sea turtles. If this was all on a DVD that I had paid for, I'd be begging to trade it for the much more exciting Ishtar or Waterworld. I realize that most of you feel this is all a lot of fun but if your lives are such that this is fun, then maybe you should reevaluate your lives. Over 16,000 posts in over 400 pages? Real problems could have been solved w\ith that much time and effort.

You forgot to add "/rant".

I would say that you probably don't even believe yourself if you feel the need to announce your departure (or apathy). I would say to come back when you feel it interests you again. No harm staying or leaving. This is a special thread, but if you have some sort of life, I'm glad. Enjoy it. See you later. :) You'll still be welcome.

Thanks, Azule. I was thinking the same thing. If it's so boring, why not just log out? Why take the time to write that rant? Maybe trying to start a flame war, or live up to his avatar. Whatever, looks like he logged out, so that's fine. Nobody's forcing him to follow the thread. Or maybe someone is, and that's why he's so upset.

Hope no-one is forcing him, that wouldn't be nice... And Davidy, if you read this, good luck with your outsider life, even if you find that this tread should not be a part of it...

Davidy is probably Blitzgirl's sock puppet. That's the most likely thing I can think of.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:31 am UTC

htom wrote:Why did Megan leave three of the turrets on the left-most castle unflagged? Off to comaland.

She probably had her reasons. Perhaps it would have caused a critical mass of flag-ship, pulling all the castles together into a Black Pixel Hole, ripping a tear in the fabric of Time's space.

buffygirl wrote:Added.

Your graciousness and kindness and ultimate haberdashery have been well received, and I extend all my gratitude to you. I humbly await what magnificent finery may await me on the other side of a coma. Until then, adieu.

Edited: Coma-pope. My first and last decree: Let There Be Much Graphmaking and Othersuch Productive Timewaiting

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:34 am UTC

Eliram wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:The journey of the box from 431

432: Megan enters carrying the box
433: Megan sets the box to the right of the Middle (recursive topped) castle
434-474: Box sits there while Megan and cueball begin constructing the scaffolding about it
475: Megan picks up the box
476: Megan puts the box atop the left side of the scaffolding
477-524: Box sits on scaffolding while more scaffolding is built around it and water is tasted
525: Cueball throws a rope on the box
526-544: Box rests atop the scaffolding
545: Cueball throws another rope on the box
547: Box is moved to right of central scaffolding
559: Cueball takes ropes off box to build more scaffolding
639: Megan disturbs the box by moving a plank on the scaffolding
640: Megan looks in the box? Or at the box?
641: Megan is trailing a rope past the box, did she get it out of the box? Is it a toolbox? A box of ropes?
642: rope appears on the box
643: Cueball is using that rope to build more scaffolding
709: Cueball rests a plank on the box
717: Megan removes that plank as Cuedball rests the base of another plank against the box
720: That plank is now raised by cueball standing astride the box
798-801: LaPetite enters and does not interact with the box

So a box o ropes Maybe?

I don't think so. There is no real newpix showing ropes actually taken from box. Besides:

430: Megan brings ropes. Two newpix BEFORE she brings the box.
443: Megan brings another box, never to be seen again since.

The two boxes are different, one is carried with hands underneath, the other seems to have handles near the top. In the olden Frames there was mention of pouring something into the post holes from one of the boxes.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:38 am UTC

Is it me or is the platform starting to sink to the right?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:44 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:Is it me or is the platform starting to sink to the right?

'We can't see you, so we don't know if you're starting to sink to the right.
Platform looks "unchanged" to me.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:54 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:Right, so .... I don't know nuthin' bout hashes and ... all that other stuff ....

This is what you say:
jjjdavidson wrote:But that's a 128-byte hash (256 hex digits) and the file names are only 32-byte (64 digits). But then I thought, Would it be so un-Randallish to generate a 1024-bit hash and only use 256 bits? So I wrote a script to test the Externalites hash against the Time image folder, taking 64 hex digits at a time for the image name. 184 failures, then this, with the very last 64 digits of the hash.

And this is what I hear:
jjjdavidson wrote:Blah blah blah 128 blah hash (256 blah blah) and the blah blah blah blah 32-blah (64 blah). But then I thought, Blah blah blah un-Randallish to blah blah 1024-blah hash and blah blah 256 blah? So I blah blah blah blah blah blah Externalites hash blah blah Time blah blah, blah 64 blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. 184 blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah 64 blah blah blah blah.

:lol:

THANK YOU, BUFFYGIRL! All this time I thought it was just me.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”