1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

buffygirl
Cardinal

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

For Valarya
Attachments
Valarya-hat.jpg
Valarya-hat.jpg (3.31 KiB) Viewed 9410 times

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:I'm starting to think I need to come up with an avatar so that I can join the mob for a Buffyhat... Anyone got a spare one lying around1

1preferably something signifying the subtle wit of genius, but totally humble as well

Only one personage springs to mind for subtle wit of genius and also humility:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dame+edna+everage

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:I'm starting to think I need to come up with an avatar so that I can join the mob for a Buffyhat... Anyone got a spare one lying around1

1preferably something signifying the subtle wit of genius, but totally humble as well

This should meet your requirements.
Attachments
walter-glasses.jpg
A scientist working
walter-glasses.jpg (13.32 KiB) Viewed 9405 times
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

Without a doubt, the image appears to be intentionally fading at this point. The border of the image is remaining 100% black, while the contents are clearly becoming lighter.

Chrome seems to be applying an odd gamma adjustment, as it's displaying the image far lighter: #272727. Safari is showing #020202, and Firefox #030303.*

My default browser has been Chrome for a while, but nevertheless, it's clear it's fading.

*All browsers current versions, Mac OSX 10.8.3.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:

Walter!

How I miss him.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

Has Randall ever used not quite black in the pre-time comics? Overall, I mean, not just at an edge.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

descor

Postby descor » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
First sand, then water.
This uncolored comic dies
So beautifully.

The Black just jumped to #040404 after 6 frames. Really not enough data to fit a decent progression yet.

What are the main options? Linear, exponential or sine? Others?1

1Disclaimer: I am not a mathematician
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

VeloCityGirl

Postby VeloCityGirl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

I had an omen from the outside world:

Spoiler:
This is it.jpg
This is it.jpg (11.99 KiB) Viewed 9400 times

I think the sea level rise and the color fade will continue until the sea level reaches the top of the pix and at the same time becomes completely white.

The End is Nigh.
VeloCityGIrl, now hatted! Thanks buffygirl.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

Walter!

How I miss him.

Me too. I guess I could wait for 2167.
But then I couldn't wait for it.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Has Randall ever used not quite black in the pre-time comics? Overall, I mean, not just at an edge.

Pretty sure up to this point it's been black, white, and antialiasing. The fade/progression/jump to light grey as a fill color is definitely new.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:First sand, then water.
This uncolored comic dies
So beautifully.

The Black just jumped to #040404 after 6 frames. Really not enough data to fit a decent progression yet.

I really want to stop the fading, but I an't.
I don't understand what the black is doing. A dike will not help, nor dyke.

Sand then sandcastles
Trebuches and platforms built
Megan said bye. Fade.

Or!
Maybe this is just taking te comic to a whole new era, kind of like the zoom out.
Maybe the beach needs to be grey so that we can see things buried in the ground, bones and treasure chests and C&M digging a tunnel.

Something should stop te white-tide!
It's about time.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
cmyk wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

Walter!

How I miss him.

Me too. I guess I could wait for 2167.
But then I couldn't wait for it.

Indeed. I hopping over to the Amberverse...!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

Quickly, folks! Give me ten pages so Blitzgirl can join us (or we join Blitzgirl, I'm confused).

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

Ok I have made another fascinating discovery from the timestamp data!

on the 22nd the images got re processed and the timestamp data got overwritten (possibly because I had just posted research into the timestamps showing when he had created his frames). At first when I downloaded images at that time they had incrementing timestamps from 1:07am to 1:27am with a couple of seconds between each frame. Then a while later the timestamps were reset to all 1:07am but there are a few at 1:30am. But then I thought can we use this info to find out how many frames he had made at that point. So i worked out the speed the timestamps were increasing and assuming he finished at the 1:30am then I worked out he would have been up to frame 894.2564103. And what frame did the black start to change you ask. 895!!! So from this it is possible that this points to him creating frames 895+ after the 22nd!

Now I thought of this as I drifted off to coma which was before frame 895 happened and it would have been much cooler if I had been able to do the maths then and post it :(

Edit: Summery: Randall only produced up to frame 894 as of the 22nd. Frame 895+ (with the lighter black) has been made recently (probably)

Edit2: Also there is another time stamp from the modified time of the file on the image server. This is 05:31:13 GMT which (adjusted by 4 hours for time zone) is 33 seconds after the last mod time of the frames. This extra 33 seconds could mean he was up to frame 910 at the time but I think this 33 seconds was the time it took to copy the images to the server instead. And because my calculation of 894.2564103 was so close to when the black changed I think it is much more probable.
Last edited by Latent22 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:35 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

IT DRAWS NIGH! ALL BEWARE THE WHITE TIDE!

vvn

Postby vvn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

azule wrote: yet others' FF is worse on Windows. Could just be that FF is inconsistent across OS and versions.

Curious: I (and my GIMP) refer to the black as 00 not FF. What are you using that refers to it as FF?

aeglaeca

Postby aeglaeca » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

Eliram wrote:Or!
Maybe this is just taking te comic to a whole new era, kind of like the zoom out.
Maybe the beach needs to be grey so that we can see things buried in the ground, bones and treasure chests and C&M digging a tunnel.

Has anyone who can compared pixel colors checked if all the black is fading at the same rate, or only parts of it?

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

vvn wrote:
azule wrote: yet others' FF is worse on Windows. Could just be that FF is inconsistent across OS and versions.

Curious: I (and my GIMP) refer to the black as 00 not FF. What are you using that refers to it as FF?

0xff is white, I believe that FF refers to the Firefox browser
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

Bad Hair Man

Postby Bad Hair Man » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

I have traveled from the year 1982 to greet you. I've been reading this thread from the beginning, but only occasionally, on and off. It's kind of fun to contrast my experience of Time (checking the comic every couple days, and then getting caught up on what I missed via aubronwood.website) to how the crazy Timewasterswaiters who monitor(ed) it and this thread religiously thought and reacted to each new frame as it came out.

Anyway, I'm up to page 110 now (posts are from Thu Mar 28; Cueball has just started building the bridge linking the two castles, it's very exciting apparently) and wanted to let you know that on this page someone said the following:

KroniK907 wrote:I HAVE A PREDICTION!!

By the time all is over there will be exactly 336 pages to this thread.

Heed these words!!!

Did you heed them?

Just thought you might like to be reminded of that, in case KroniK907 was still around and asking you to trust his credibility on anything ever still. (I think it should be clear to you now, there in the future, whether or not you should.)
HAL9000 wrote:The Passover bunny walks on water! So he be an representation of Horus!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

For Goggalor
Attachments
Goggalor-hat-s.jpg
Goggalor-hat-s.jpg (4.95 KiB) Viewed 9353 times

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

vvn wrote:

While I agree with Febrion that Firefox is what was meant here, in CMYK (the colour scheme, not our illustrious illustrator), black could be referred to as 0xFF.

Added:
aeglaeca wrote:

Has anyone who can compared pixel colors checked if all the black is fading at the same rate, or only parts of it?

There are a few pixels with the value 2 or 3 instead of 4 as yet (and of course, the frame is all still 0), but we are talking very few. Around . . . 0.1% of all the pixels. For comparison, the frame is about 1.7%. I'd guess they're probably just the result of the usual anti-aliasing.
Last edited by KarMann on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:48 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

IJWTS Happy 420!

vvn

Postby vvn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

corner.png
corner.png (961 Bytes) Viewed 9349 times

I like the little white corner on the black frame.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

aeglaeca wrote:<snip/>

All of the black is fading. No secret fossils or hidden messages in the image..... yet :wink:
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

Ooooh, 42 guests! It must be a Sign!

descor

Postby descor » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

vvn wrote:
corner.png

Whoa

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

vvn wrote:Image

I've been wondering about those since the beginning. It doesn't look like it's trying to represent the old-fashioned photo mounting corners. Maybe it's for registration or something?
Last edited by KarMann on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

vvn

Postby vvn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
vvn wrote:

While I agree with Febrion that Firefox is what was meant here, in CMYK (the colour scheme, not our illustrious illustrator), black could be referred to as 0xFF.

Ok, obvious. Thank you. Didn't read it as Firefox.
I thought of cmyk, but dismissed it. Probably should not have since we are looking at greyscale anyway. I guess technically it's just K.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:Ooooh, 42 guests! It must be a Sign!

In the (42e1)th page! Indeed!
Also, 16800 (i.e. 8 posts after this) is divisible by 42!

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

aeglaeca wrote:

I have only limited skills (and a version of Photoshop CS2 that is now free on the adobe website if you are interested) but selecting by color (and then deleting it) most of it is 030303, the rest is other shades of gray, I think that those are artifacts of some sort and not really intended to be a different color

Spoiler:
color.png
color.png (11.67 KiB) Viewed 9312 times

also has anyone suggested that may be the night is coming, but because everything is black... Randall is using brighter colors to represent the night (kind of counter intuitive but you know... at night colors fade....) May be is just me not wanting it to end..
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

Does anyone have any idea what's happening with the picture showing differently in different browsers?
This is what the current frame should look like. This is what it is displayed as in Google Chrome.
(first link=after I had edited in paint, despite keeping all colours exactly the same, second link=original file uploaded to imgur)
Strangely I can't upload the edited version to the wiki because the file did not pass file verification (???)
So when I edit the image, but leave it exactly the same, it displays correctly in google chrome and can't be uploaded to the wiki? what is going on here?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

"Beware the white tide" sounds an awful lot like "Winter is coming".
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

descor

Postby descor » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

patzer wrote: ... what is going on here?

Daaangerous question there. Not sure we want to open that particular can of worms!

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:
Spoiler:
Ok I have made another fascinating discovery from the timestamp data!

on the 22nd the images got re processed and the timestamp data got overwritten (possibly because I had just posted research into the timestamps showing when he had created his frames). At first when I downloaded images at that time they had incrementing timestamps from 1:07am to 1:27am with a couple of seconds between each frame. Then a while later the timestamps were reset to all 1:07am but there are a few at 1:30am. But then I thought can we use this info to find out how many frames he had made at that point. So i worked out the speed the timestamps were increasing and assuming he finished at the 1:30am then I worked out he would have been up to frame 894.2564103. And what frame did the black start to change you ask. 895!!! So from this it is possible that this points to him creating frames 895+ after the 22nd!

Now I thought of this as I drifted off to coma which was before frame 895 happened and it would have been much cooler if I had been able to do the maths then and post it :(

Edit: Summery: Randall only produced up to frame 894 as of the 22nd. Frame 895+ (with the lighter black) has been made recently (probably)

Edit2: Also there is another time stamp from the modified time of the file on the image server. This is 05:31:13 GMT which (adjusted by 4 hours for time zone) is 33 seconds after the last mod time of the frames. This extra 33 seconds could mean he was up to frame 910 at the time but I think this 33 seconds was the time it took to copy the images to the server instead. And because my calculation of 894.2564103 was so close to when the black changed I think it is much more probable.

mscha wrote:Also wanted to note that timestamps (both external and internal) haven't changed, recently. All images from the last days, including the ones with the fading, are from 22 April (for what that's worth). So, it looks like this is a deliberate change, not a side effect from re-rendering the scene.

Also interesting is that if I'm right about the frames after 895 being recent he is now trying to hide all this from us because all the timestamps are now fixed. I'm guessing he has added a step of manually setting the timestamps to hide his magic.

Also Interesting (to me anyway but probably not everyone else) is the time between each frame had a constant pattern. 2 second gap,1 second gap, 4 second gap, 1 second gap and then it repeats. very strange

Code: Select all

Frame Time      Gap
790   1:27:06   
791   1:27:08   0:00:02
792   1:27:09   0:00:01
793   1:27:13   0:00:04
794   1:27:14   0:00:01
795   1:27:16   0:00:02
796   1:27:17   0:00:01
797   1:27:21   0:00:04
798   1:27:22   0:00:01
799   1:27:24   0:00:02
800   1:27:25   0:00:01
801   1:27:29   0:00:04
802   1:27:30   0:00:01
803   1:27:32   0:00:02
804   1:27:33   0:00:01
805   1:27:37   0:00:04
806   1:27:38   0:00:01
807   1:27:40   0:00:02
808   1:27:41   0:00:01
809   1:27:45   0:00:04
Last edited by Latent22 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

DOOOOOOOONNG

(Still #040404)

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:"Beware the white tide" sounds an awful lot like "Winter is coming".

...HAL? Is it you? Or is this another 9000 series computer?

KarMann wrote:
vvn wrote:Image

I've been wondering about those since the beginning. It doesn't look like it's trying to represent the old-fashioned photo mounting corners. Maybe it's for registration or something?

They're on most xkcd comics. The most recent, for instance:

Just to make it look a little more drawn/rounded, I guess. Granted, they're quite a bit more obvious on Time than most others.

Edit: Hey, is it just me or is 1193 no longer using the XKCD font?
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:"Beware the white tide" sounds an awful lot like "Winter is coming".

Which sounds a lot like "They are leaving coming".

ChronosDragon wrote:...HAL? Is it you? Or is this another 9000 series computer?

It's not SAL, for sure.

vvn

Postby vvn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

descor wrote:The Black just jumped to #040404 after 6 frames. Really not enough data to fit a decent progression yet.

What are the main options? Linear, exponential or sine? Others?[/quote]
Most fades are done linearly, as that is the default on most editing software. I don't think the current data precludes this. For example, a linear fade of 4.5 frames per color value would sometimes show up as 4 and sometimes 5. It can usually be changed, but that probably means a hand made curve of some sort.
I am making MANY assumptions that could easily be invalid. So, I'm really just saying that the easiest way I could do a fade to white would generate a linear fade.

Flame Bait: What are the philosophical reasons Randall is doing a fade to white rather than a fade to black.
First log on the fire: He is conserving the black pixels.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Edit: Hey, is it just me or is 1193 no longer using the XKCD font?

There is a bug where some browsers didn't display it and different URL's can make a difference. Try the non SSL version and it probably will display fine for you. There is something going on stopping the font replacement working but I'm not an expert on why.

Make your next post count Red Hal!

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

vvn wrote:<snip/>
Most fades are done linearly, as that is the default on most editing software. I don't think the current data precludes this. For example, a linear fade of 4.5 frames per color value would sometimes show up as 4 and sometimes 5. It can usually be changed, but that probably means a hand made curve of some sort.
I am making MANY assumptions that could easily be invalid. So, I'm really just saying that the easiest way I could do a fade to white would generate a linear fade.

Flame Bait: What are the philosophical reasons Randall is doing a fade to white rather than a fade to black.
First log on the fire: He is conserving the black pixels.

Everyone knows that White pixels are more expensive than black! And they use far more energy too! This is Randall's attempt to speed up global warming, and cut down on heating costs!
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”