1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Exodies

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:06 am UTC

AK49BWL wrote:
Spoiler:
Playing ketchup again :lol:

Caswallon wrote:I know we have had at least one other attempt to track people's locations. But curious if anyone else is from the Puget Sound/Northwest US Region? Just noticed at least 2 other people who were.

I wonder at times if anyone else here, other than I, lives in Alaska...

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:In conclusion, a few more pastposts:
AK49BWL wrote:On a side note, throughout my lurking here I have been cheering on BlitzGirl and Waiting for her to reach the present Time - In fact, (if I can yet, I don't have 5 posts) I'll even throw in some sig-couragement!

Thank you, AK49BWL! :)
Wow, this leg of my Quest has been so upbeat! Yay yay yay! Onward I go! *skips*

A mention by the One True Reader :shock: I am so honored!

On a side note, your name constantly reminds me of a favorite Time passer of mine... Bejeweled 8-)

jjjdavidson wrote:Okay, I'm a little freaked out now. No, I'm a lot freaked out.

Everybody's wondered, How did Randall generate the hashes? I thought about Externalities and the hash everyone was trying to break there, a Skein 1024 1024 hash.

But that's a 128-byte hash (256 hex digits) and the file names are only 32-byte (64 digits). But then I thought, Would it be so un-Randallish to generate a 1024-bit hash and only use 256 bits? So I wrote a script to test the Externalites hash against the Time image folder, taking 64 hex digits at a time for the image name. 184 failures, then this, with the very last 64 digits of the hash.

I don't know how many frames in the future this is, but here's:
b567aa3e2390a573a373a48a5e676640c79cc70197e1c5e7f902fb53ca1858b6.png
ImageSo you see why I'm freaked out.

I'll admit, I did a double-take. Then logic took over :D

Anyway, there's no way this is the end.. Megan's "bye" is but a precursor to something even greater. Well, I can still have hope, can't I?? --I think I can have a sig now, too!

So you're that awful woman!
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:08 am UTC

Greyness Color Upade:

0a0a0a
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:13 am UTC

123Adz321 wrote:Greyness Color Upade:

Spoiler:

0a0a0a

That's weird, I'm definitely getting #090909 here. What are you using? (GIMP on Linux here is my main tool, and a couple of Firefox extensions on the side.) And, if it comes down to it, do you know how to do a checksum of the image you have?

Added: My Firefox extensions are telling me #0A0A0A, just like you're getting.
Last edited by KarMann on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:16 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
SBN wrote:
Soup wrote:Many thanks to mscha and any and all other members of the "Guild of People Who Know How to Do That Red/ Green Pixel Thing!" I would be blind by now if I had to gauge caffeinatedsemencancerbabybaconicesea-levels on my own. :wink:

Indeed. Maybe we could press the bot into service, posting the Red/Green Pixel Thing after each Newpix, at least until the action picks up again. (With a tiny, tinkling bell sound, perhaps.)

Not too many rhymes for "tinkle", unfortunately. Wrinkle, Sinkhole, Nickle...only a few. Maybe "tink," that has a few more.

Why don't we ask nicely for the bot to do all the mechanical stuff - new Frames, Red/Green Pixel Thing - and us meat bags just have a Dong competition every Newpix, and a tinkle competition (or, as there isn't yet a tradition) a funny noise competition?

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:24 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Spoiler:

0a0a0a

That's weird, I'm definitely getting #090909 here. What are you using? (GIMP on Linux here is my main tool, and a couple of Firefox extensions on the side.) And, if it comes down to it, do you know how to do a checksum of the image you have?

Ah, I bet we're both getting rounded 4% multiplied by 255, which rounds to 10, a.k.a. 0x0A.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:26 am UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote:
BlitzGirl!!! Check your hair. Make sure its not turning slowly Grey! This seems to be happening in the future/present. Just hope your not effected as well.

Effect:
Noun
A change that is a result or consequence of an action or other cause.
Verb
Cause (something) to happen; bring about.

Affect :
Verb
Have an effect on; make a difference to: "the dampness began to affect my health".
Pretend to have or feel (something): "as usual I affected a supreme unconcern".
Noun
Emotion or desire, esp. as influencing behavior or action.

Tee hee hee.
Spoiler:
http://xkcd.com/326/
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:28 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Random thought: What if the far side of the sea were occupied by similar but giant-sized Megan & Cueball, who also have sandcastles, but theirs are just simply collapsing into the sea of their own accord . . . which then displaces enough water, being so large, that the seamencancerbaconbabyonice level of the whole sea is bumped up (even though I haven't seen any stick figures running naked through the street shouting "Eureka!" yet) noticeably on the smaller scale of this side? It would fit with Megan's suggestion that it might be land instead of water seamencancerbaconbabyonice that's increasing the level.

OK, no, I really don't think so, just an amusing notion.

Why, in the whole history of human discovery, do we only have one eureka story? It's so boring. What about the guy plooking his sweetheart who suddenly reared up and screamed 'waka jawaka! That's it! Cornflakes!'.

While my crayon is still sharp, why doesn't the forum software hold back the publication of double postings until after someone else has posted - no need for a rule, no need for any finger wagging, no need for <whatever bad thing double posting causes>. That would be great. Similarly for other rules - the software could convert any red text to magenta unless you were an admin. Etc. you get my drift?

EDIT: I'm going to pretend I'm Pope for the Page. Everyone will imagine for two minutes what that would be like. That's going to be my only Encyclical.

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:43 am UTC

KarMann wrote:

Spoiler:

0a0a0a

Photoshop CS6, seems accurate enough so far
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:50 am UTC

aeglaeca wrote:just caught up, after falling 15 NP behind.

Spoiler:
Angelastic, have to say I like the Haiku's, but it's really painful when you are trying to catch up :)

Congratulations Jovialbard (liked your song) and Jonas79. in the early pages, someone did predict we were waiting for a baby, they just got the papa wrong.

We called out baby "ta", which is the chinese pronoun for he/she in cantonese (or at least my wife tells me), as we didn't find out it was a girl until she was born. Now she's "bear".

cmyk wrote:Image

sweet!

buffygirl wrote:For tman2nd.

Awesome hat/bed.

jjjdavidson wrote:I don't know how many frames in the future this is, but here's:

Well done, had to put the hash in to check if it was real.

cmyk wrote:Now that M & C will be out of the picture for a bit, LaPetite should be making another appearance, perhaps with others, and unfold the next chapter.

Agreed, it would be really odd to introduce her only for her to just leave and play no role (other than generate 20+NewPages). maybe we'll get another zoom out.

We should have taken a cast of LaPetite's footprints in the "sand" to prove that we didn't imagine her.

Also, the true name of the caffeinatedsemenbabycancer is the one that hasn't been used yet. We can only approach it by elimination, we can never reach it.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:52 am UTC

I too am getting 9 (with a raw data of 56)

Edit: why does it distract me so much that they left that box there?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:05 am UTC

PONG

And the color:

- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:07 am UTC

123Adz321 wrote:
KarMann wrote:

Spoiler:

0a0a0a

Photoshop CS6, seems accurate enough so far

It's been noted otherwise.
Added: 10/0x0A is what I'm showing now, which means your 12/0x0C isn't fitting with the rounded percentage hypothesis. Which brings us to gamma adjustments & CMS, I suppose.
Added²: My browser colour picker says 12/0x0C, too. The general rule seems to be that these "corrective" adjustments tend to lighten the darker colours.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:17 am UTC

KarMann wrote:<snip>

It's been noted otherwise.
Added: 10/0x0A is what I'm showing now, which means your 12/0x0C isn't fitting with the rounded percentage hypothesis. Which brings us to gamma adjustments & CMS, I suppose.
Added²: My browser colour picker says 12/0x0C, too. The general rule seems to be that these "corrective" adjustments tend to lighten the darker colours.

Ah, missed that...
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:27 am UTC

Bytes wrote:Of course syllables is an imperfect translation of the 5-7-5 rule in Haikus. It should also have a seasonal reference.

Ah, hence refrigerator.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:42 am UTC

Bytes wrote:Boy that's a lot of spoilers...
And just in case people were wondering, yes they're real spoilers!

Also, what's this about hats? To paint!

EDIT: Fixed with new hat, turn out it's easier to edit stuff in powerpoint...

You make your own hat? That's not a hat. That won't even cover where the scars are gonna be.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:45 am UTC

*catches up on 10 pages*
I'm sad that all that's happened since I posted us fading and a bit of sea (which is big) rise. Also much discussion of pixels. I've seen many pixels in my day, and from them I can tell you
Spoiler:
the river is small

I think the best thing that's happened in the duration is Walter Bishop. Now to check whether a buffygirlhat was created without my notice... [edit]nope, so it's safe to continue to Wait for It without accidentally causing strife by appearing to shun it.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

just brew it!

Postby just brew it! » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:57 am UTC

OK, so I've just been lurking (sporadically) on this thread, so my apologies if this has already been mentioned.

I think the "bye" in frame 880 may have been a "breaking the fourth wall" thing, i.e., it was (in part) directed at us, even though Megan appears to be speaking to the sand castles.

(Or should that be "breaking the second wall" in this case? :wink:)

descor

Postby descor » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:07 am UTC

NEWPICBONG
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

sparehead3

Postby sparehead3 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:07 am UTC

As we start to fade out, I've been trying to reconcile the frame discrepancy that was discovered at the end of March. I've tried comparing the images I have against a) the actual imgs.xkcd.com images, and b) the images on Aubron's site, aubronwood.com.

It seems like some files have been duplicated, and some have actually been renamed (or overwritten and given the wrong filename).

Back on Page 180 of this thread, bugstomper posted:

bugstomper wrote:It may be that my internet connection is slow enough to make it visible, but when I refresh the page at xkcd.com/1190/ I see the first image followed by a refresh with the second image. With the first few doubled images are identical twins, but for the last three newpix they are different and appear to be in order, as if the 30 minute frame rate has now been replaced by an hourly double update.

Shortly after, Smithers realized:

Smithers wrote:The transient first image is the one which http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png redirects to. The second is the one inserted by the javascript.

The "first few doubled images" that bugstomper referred to correspond to frames 252, 253, 254, and 255:

Spoiler:
Each mini-pic is a link to the corresponding image at http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/

252 - 11:00 AM EDT
Image 472a664d6080e40cda872258f89ec8db899d6edf3fe457873b1729d011c32117.png
Image d1b3b1b6e23995a093377c5ddc044dd98a42a3ae1327c8b6620d51d2a7003c1d.png

253 - 12:00 PM EDT
Image 506e4482b9dfda6906be12a0f08db916374545d56b4dcc23e220c63d777febd5.png
Image b4438d37a73bec8234efdec9b2c6baaf1b39723f34e442c1db65a9860f3eda66.png

254 - 1:00 PM EDT
Image 1d9ce7199935b1b629d6b8744e62c7700a3780357b2dc74bb70471db616ddadb.png
Image c6976fbb244af4fc2286ffe3ac2cf78d408c1f610ecd71e18b4a677a048f084d.png

255 - 2:00 PM EDT
Image a0912d58db16574d7defdfeda6f4dbb820986d0e6fb38e793e62f8da5b151d98.png
Image f8b1ca928e8027868ff903f12f9a3e7396314a8cd13a5c7e8a724c6f718b324e.png

Of the "last three newpix [being] replaced by an hourly double update" referred to by bugstomper, I was able to grab all six images, but they weren't "in order" as we thought they were.

Each side-by-side image has the same filename hash- The left side is the "Original" image I saved from the xkcd.com site (although I can't recall which was the "transient" image and which was the "javascript" image); The right side has the image you would get if you typed "http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/[hash].png" in your browser, and the frame number for that image on aubronwood.com ("#---" means it's not on Aubron's site):

#255 - At this point, both Aubron's and my filename and frame number coincide.
Spoiler:

#256 - In my original, Megan is building up the side... on the right, she's almost finished and smoothing out the top.
Spoiler:

#257 - My side, she's still working on that right corner... on the right, the "bed" is finished.
Spoiler:

#258 - On the left, dumping more sand on top (note the right corner of the bed is still lumpy)... on the right, getting a tan, knees bent.
Spoiler:

#259 - On the left, now she's smoothing out the top... On the right, it's a duplicate image of Aubron's frame #256.
Spoiler:

#260 - The bed is finished on the left... Duplicate of Aubron's frame #257 on the right.
Spoiler:

#261 - Finally resting on the left, as she did in Aubron's frame #258 on the right.
Spoiler:

#262 - Both left and right now correspond with each other, but three frames out of sync - Aubron is now at frame #259.
Spoiler:

All the filename hashes above are indeed available at imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/... But I do believe that during that odd double-update period, the images for frames 259, 260 and 261 were accidentally saved with the same filenames that frames 256, 257 and 258 had. Since then, Aubron's site and my image folder have been exactly three frames out of sync (As of 6am EDT, my frame #921 corresponds with Aubron's frame #918).

This is not Aubron's fault- I'm fairly certain something happened on the server where all the files are stored. Frames 252 through 255 were duplicated and given different filename hashes, so it's probable that whatever was responsible for that also duplicated frames 259, 260 and 261 and gave the duplicates the same filename hashes as frames 256, 257 and 258- accidentally writing over those files.

If you want to incorporate the missing frames into your final .gif animations, you will find all six frames with it's corresponding hash name- Unfortunately Imageshack.com will not save the file with it's full hash name, so you will need to rename it accordingly.

Frame #256
Spoiler:
9ca751515dfcf0f124e0d4c3b6b55efa1e80eff73116d9a8784f2594991ebdfe.png

Frame #257
Spoiler:
a6c1afdfc9ef6d0479d839e2929771feed170588a10902fde15f8471c61a86d1.png

Frame #258
Spoiler:
530efe35c4725e88ada29e4f75d1f815917cb1b02db69d2f13d0b3853c44860d.png

Frame #259
Spoiler:
89fbcd5accd704c98f0e79b4adee58c7490cca4e53a508ceb050a78ceffd2611.png

Frame #260
Spoiler:
715b2c1e6aee87798ff01c8d6d6f8194dc18f06e7db1c7decf774cb45c8ff776.png

Frame #261
Spoiler:
6cb836b5c06e3d46335ab0f757ee62fdc76331f49f101c382c8f48bf479365b1.png

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:11 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Ok just checked in Chrome, Firefox and IE 10:

Chrome: #151515
Firefox: #000000
IE10: #010101

Like I always say, use a browser that works.

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:17 am UTC

descor wrote:NEWPICBONG

No change in shade: 0c0c0c
I wait for it, therefore I am.

VrookLamar

Postby VrookLamar » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:18 am UTC

I think the large number of periods is starting to become confusing. The periods should be grouped into episodes of about 150 frames each. The episodes should again be grouped into eras of about 900 frames each. Larger categories will still have to be invented, but this will do for now.

Pi is exactly three

Postby Pi is exactly three » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:53 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:*Herd? Flock? Bevy? What do you call a caboodle of cats????

Clowder.

Seriously???

*quick Google check*

Well, I'll be damned! I learned a cool new word. :D

The Big Bang Theory S4E03, "The Zazzy Substitution":

Sheldon: Clowder.
Leonard: What?
Sheldon: A group of cats is a clowder. Or a glaring.
Leonard: Okay, yeah, fine.
Sheldon: It’s the kind of thing you ought to know now that we have one.

Also, this popped into my head as I uncoma'd this morning:

In the country of
Time, the No-Eyed Man is King.
Canute fails again.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!"
--Fairuza Balk, The Craft

I have travelled from 1955 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

descor

Postby descor » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:58 am UTC

VrookLamar wrote:I think the large number of periods is starting to become confusing. The periods should be grouped into episodes of about 150 frames each. The episodes should again be grouped into eras of about 900 frames each. Larger categories will still have to be invented, but this will do for now.

How about the Pre-expansion1 episode2 from 001-136 and the Castleiferous3 episode4 from 137-324.

1i.e. the Precambrian
2I'm not a fan of the term 'episode' for this Time division.
3From Carboniferous
4Still not a fan.
5EDITED6 to fix grammar.
6ETA edit note
Last edited by descor on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:00 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:59 am UTC

There has been some discussion about The Lost First Frame. I am not sure if it has been recovered (The First Hash is lost for good I think), but this morning I checked my xkcd browser app on my Android tablet and found the attached frame. I am led to believe that this indeed has to be the first frame, as the app downloads the comic of the day and saves it. If this is the first frame and has been stored in other places already feel free to ignore it.
Attachments
xkcd-1190.png
First Frame
xkcd-1190.png (3.67 KiB) Viewed 11362 times
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:00 am UTC

How do I attach an image without it becoming tiny?
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:02 am UTC

ggh wrote:How do I attach an image without it becoming tiny?

I've got no idea... I just uploaded and added it.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:05 am UTC

spamjam wrote:
johndda wrote:I don't know why I keep coming here expecting relevant commentary to the comic...

So, is this the end of time?

Relevant commentary, no, everyone is writing about themselves even though there is no "I" in Time.

Oh, waitaminit, yes there is.

Well, there is no "Me" in Time.

Oh...never mind. And "Me" is the end of Time, so I guess it's OK.

Would you like some Tea?

azule wrote:
SBN wrote:
AK49BWL wrote:I'm also quite fond of azule's Firefox, while we're on the subject.

I like that too, but I keep thinking the location says The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Woot! I think it's cute too!
Who says it doesn't say that, SBN? ;)

:D So, where is this land? I must go there.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:07 am UTC

BRONG:

Lighter again, by 2 shades now: 0e0e0e.
I wait for it, therefore I am.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:08 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:There has been some discussion about The Lost First Frame. I am not sure if it has been recovered (The First Hash is lost for good I think), but this morning I checked my xkcd browser app on my Android tablet and found the attached frame. I am led to believe that this indeed has to be the first frame, as the app downloads the comic of the day and saves it. If this is the first frame and has been stored in other places already feel free to ignore it.

Just checked and that png byte for byte the same as the one we have here http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/images/f/f8/time.png which is a copy of the first frame someone uploaded. It seems that this is the real first frame. not the same as any of the hash images and it seems to pre date them.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:12 am UTC

ggh wrote:How do I attach an image without it becoming tiny?

I think when you upload them it displays them smaller. but there is a trick. you can upload it. Then click preview before you post. Then right click on the image in the preview and select copy image location. Now cancel out of the post and do another post. paste in the link you copied and add Img tags around it. Preview again and make sure it looks like you want it to.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:13 am UTC

descor wrote:
VrookLamar wrote:I think the large number of periods is starting to become confusing. The periods should be grouped into episodes of about 150 frames each. The episodes should again be grouped into eras of about 900 frames each. Larger categories will still have to be invented, but this will do for now.

How about the Pre-expansion1 episode2 from 001-136 and the Castleiferous3 episode4 from 137-324.

1i.e. the Precambrian
2I'm not a fan of the term 'episode' for this Time division.
3From Carboniferous
4Still not a fan.
5EDITED6 to fix grammar.
6ETA edit note

The idea of bigger sections (I prefer the term eras rather than episodes, to keep to geologic time references, and the larger categories VrookLamar called eras could be called eons) has been brought up before but not implemented. The term 'Castleiferous' is wonderful.

squonk

Postby squonk » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:19 am UTC

One two three four five
Six seven eight nine ten E
leven twelve thirteen

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:22 am UTC

This is what I choose to believe happens after we can't see them anymore:
Spoiler:

(Thanks Latent22!)

Edit: oops, that worked great for a minute until the site discarded the "unused" attachment. Hmmm, maybe if I add it twice....
Edit2: okay, leaving the small version in addition, hoping that that keeps the big one alive.
Attachments
LakeTime.png
Agatha the Awesomeful

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:30 am UTC

Magdiragdag wrote:BRONG:

Lighter again, by 2 shades now: 0e0e0e.

It says to me #0b0b0b (or RGB(11,11,11)).
Previous was #0a0a0a, so just one shade of grey.

Edit: progression so far:

Code: Select all

frame dec hex
895   01  01
896   01  01
897   01  01
898   01  01
899   01  01
900   02  02
901   02  02
902   02  02
903   02  02
904   02  02
905   02  02
906   04  04
907   04  04
908   05  05
909   05  05
910   06  06
911   06  06
912   07  07
913   07  07
914   07  07
915   08  08
916   09  09
917   10  0a
918   10  0a
919   11  0b
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:36 am UTC

NoMouse wrote:It says to me #0b0b0b (or RGB(11,11,11)).
Previous was #0a0a0a, so just one shade of grey.

Same here.

Has anyone seen BlitzGirl online lately? I'm worried about her.
Agatha the Awesomeful

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:36 am UTC

Here is my updated graph of the current colour change progress

its now predicted to hit white around 1007
Attachments
colour change3.png

tastony

Postby tastony » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:57 am UTC

How fast is the sea rising in recent times? It seems that it is creeping up the sand barrier more quickly now? Any stats?

Edit: Pope! Must be because I finally included an avatar in my profile. Or is it a graven image?
Last edited by tastony on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I waited.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:59 am UTC

Post-coma ketchup. Time may be coming to an end, but this thread shows no sign of slowing down.

KarMann wrote:Another One more random thought:
The sea, which is big, is incrementing.
It is C++.
FTFY.

Kieryn wrote:Okay, version 1.0 is here! http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/
Kewl!
There appear to be some encoding issues, though. Take your first example link:
... so I hereby nominate BlitzGirl as First Of The True Followers Of Time’s time

Kazza3 wrote:I don't think Randall would just fade it out now and end it without resolving any of the questions/plot points, ...
I also thought Lost wouldn't do that, and look how that turned out.

KarMann wrote:Added²: I waited a newpix for 78,257 barely lightening pixels?!? :wink:
FTFY.

Also, I've seen lots of conflicting greyness reports. Here's the raw data up to now:
5× #010101
6× #020202
2× #040404
2× #050505
2× #060606
3× #070707
1× #080808
1× #090909
2× #0a0a0a
1× #0b0b0b
1× #0c0c0c <= Edit: added new newpix as of 12:00 UTC.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

SCUPPERNONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”