1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:14 pm UTC

The sea¹.
Rapidly rising now, and steadily eroding.

Let's see the total change since the last pan, way way back. (29 March, Outside reckoning.)
diff_xkcd_time_20130427_1200.png

It's almost reached the top of the original sandcastle...

Now the change since Megan left (38 newpix ago already :cry: )
Time_sea_level_rise_20130427_1200.png
Time_sea_level_rise_20130427_1200.png (2.06 KiB) Viewed 10321 times

In 38 newpix, the water has risen by over 5 pixels, while the total sea rise since the beginning of Time is around 22 pixels. That's quite a speedup – either of the sea level rise, or of Inside time. (The latter seems more likely, we've seen that before when no characters were around, but we've never had such a long period.)
Anyway, this makes it likely that we'll see some massive flooding before Time has faded completely away.

¹: still big.

Edit: yes, I see, a triple post, bad me. Not gonna fix it, though; you could argue that it isn't: it's a post from me, followed by one from newpixbot, then one more from me.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:23 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:Here is my updated graph of the current colour change progress

its now predicted to hit white around 1007

My guess is that it'll either be a bit faster than that and end at 1000 or a bit slower and end at 1024.

ggh wrote:
NoMouse wrote:Has anyone seen BlitzGirl online lately? I'm worried about her.

Me too. I hope she makes it before we reach white, but the good thing is that posting seems to be rather slow at the moment.
Last edited by dreiarmumig on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

descor

Postby descor » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
The sea¹.
Rapidly rising now, and steadily eroding.

Let's see the total change since the last pan, way way back. (29 March, Outside reckoning.)
diff_xkcd_time_20130427_1200.png

It's almost reached the top of the original sandcastle...

Now the change since Megan left (38 newpix ago already :cry: )
Time_sea_level_rise_20130427_1200.png

In 38 newpix, the water has risen by over 5 pixels, while the total sea rise since the beginning of Time is around 22 pixels. That's quite a speedup – either of the sea level rise, or of Inside time. (The latter seems more likely, we've seen that before when no characters were around, but we've never had such a long period.)
Anyway, this makes it likely that we'll see some massive flooding before Time has faded completely away.

¹: still big.

Edit: yes, I see, a triple post, bad me. Not gonna fix it, though; you could argue that it isn't: it's a post from me, followed by one from newpixbot, then one more from me.

Also, lots of cool graphics so I can't imagine anyone complaining too loudly!
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:26 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:For RobIrr and Angelastic.

Thanks for the hats! I will wear them with pride.

I'm still trying to catch up, so only just seen this, hence the delay in thanking you!
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:37 pm UTC

If It is the end of Time then I don't want to Wait for It, because I don't want it to happen. Waiting has brought us to newpic after newpic, which is good, but eventually it will take us to the lastpic, which will be sad. In a way, this is like life and death. Except that we.'ll all be still alive.
Except given the number of people who die each day, what are the odds that everyone who started Time will be still alive at the end?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Ray Kremer

Postby Ray Kremer » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
Kethryes wrote:
Is wire one syllable ?

Can be one or two;
it depends on your accent.
(Sometimes a triphthong)

May I address, and possibly settle, this issue? It's been a pet peeve of mine ever since second grade (plus or minus, I don't recall exactly) when the teacher was introducing us to the concept of syllables, used a tripthong word as an example of a one syllable word, and I protested and was utterly unable to be convinced that it was anything less than two syllables. Only a few years ago was I actually shown the wikipedia page on tripthongs and also given a satisfactory reason for why things must be this way.

To my dying breath I will maintain that ire/fire/hire/spire/tire/wire, and hour/our, etc. etc. are pronounced as two syllable words. I can demonstrate easily: "higher", "buyer", and "tower" are perfect rhymes for the preceding examples but are clearly all two syllable non-tripthong words. "Higher" is even a homophone of "hire".

However! Dictionaries show syllable breaks for the benefit of typesetting. In order to avoid ugly white space on a line it is often desirable to break a word into two pieces between syllables with a hyphen. "They built the sandcastle high-
er until they couldn't reach the top anymore." You have to do it between syllables so that your brain can process it properly. It simply doesn't work to build the sandcastle hig-
her, because what the hell is a hig and why are you higging to that poor girl? Now pretend you are bringing on a new employee and ask yourself, where would you break "hire" across lines if you wanted to? You can't. There are three options and none of them work. You might attempt to start with "hi-" but despite the phonetics involved in the word as a whole, "re" by itself doesn't sound like "er". The other two possibilities are worse. For typographic purposes, "hire" must be considered to be one syllable so that nobody's tempted to line break it, even though it's not one syllable when you speak it out loud. (This is a fairly important distinction to make, because now there's a legitimate reason for it rather than my second grade teacher being either a fool or a bad liar, instead she had just accepted it blindly without thinking about it and was unequipped to handle it when I alone refused to do the same.)

The only conceivable way to force, let's say, "tire" down to one syllable is if you use an extremely thick non-rhotic accent and make it come out like rhotic "tar" (rhymes with "car", which has four of them and a spare in the trunk, but you'd rather avoid it when it's fresh on a newly patched road).

(Yes, I joined the forum just to post this, you bastards, though I've been lurking this thread since day 1 of OTC.)

cellocgw

"Time": may the thread live forever

Postby cellocgw » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

As I sit and read these pages while my spousal unit continues to read GoT forums, it strikes me that her forum's participants have been writing far more about far less (considering that there's been no new books for several years now).
I've found both the direct and off-topic conversations here to be spectacularly pleasant and entertaining, and would hate to see this group of participants fade away just because the newpix are. What say we keep this thread going beyond the end either of newpix-time or outside time? 1190 Forever!
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

STRONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot

Edit: quite some erosion in just one newpix:
Time_sea_level_rise_20130427_1300.png
Time_sea_level_rise_20130427_1300.png (1.65 KiB) Viewed 10224 times

Blackness at #0c0c0c for the second frame in a row. (Whiteness still #ffffff.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

descor

Postby descor » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Kazza3 wrote:
descor wrote:
VrookLamar wrote:I think the large number of periods is starting to become confusing. The periods should be grouped into episodes of about 150 frames each. The episodes should again be grouped into eras of about 900 frames each. Larger categories will still have to be invented, but this will do for now.

How about the Pre-expansion1 episode2 from 001-136 and the Castleiferous3 episode4 from 137-324.

1i.e. the Precambrian
2I'm not a fan of the term 'episode' for this Time division.
3From Carboniferous
4Still not a fan.
5EDITED6 to fix grammar.
6ETA edit note

The idea of bigger sections (I prefer the term eras rather than episodes, to keep to geologic time references, and the larger categories VrookLamar called eras could be called eons) has been brought up before but not implemented. The term 'Castleiferous' is wonderful.

How about this?
Included as an attachment, click to see large version
Geological Time.png

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

GerardE

Postby GerardE » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

Ray Kremer wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
Kethryes wrote:
Is wire one syllable ?

Can be one or two;
(Sometimes a triphthong)

May I address, and possibly settle, this issue? It's been a pet peeve of mine ever since second grade (plus or minus, I don't recall exactly) when the teacher was introducing us to the concept of syllables, used a tripthong word as an example of a one syllable word, and I protested and was utterly unable to be convinced that it was anything less than two syllables. Only a few years ago was I actually shown the wikipedia page on tripthongs and also given a satisfactory reason for why things must be this way.

To my dying breath I will maintain that ire/fire/hire/spire/tire/wire, and hour/our, etc. etc. are pronounced as two syllable words. I can demonstrate easily: "higher", "buyer", and "tower" are perfect rhymes for the preceding examples but are clearly all two syllable non-tripthong words. "Higher" is even a homophone of "hire".

However! Dictionaries show syllable breaks for the benefit of typesetting. In order to avoid ugly white space on a line it is often desirable to break a word into two pieces between syllables with a hyphen. "They built the sandcastle high-
er until they couldn't reach the top anymore." You have to do it between syllables so that your brain can process it properly. It simply doesn't work to build the sandcastle hig-
her, because what the hell is a hig and why are you higging to that poor girl? Now pretend you are bringing on a new employee and ask yourself, where would you break "hire" across lines if you wanted to? You can't. There are three options and none of them work. You might attempt to start with "hi-" but despite the phonetics involved in the word as a whole, "re" by itself doesn't sound like "er". The other two possibilities are worse. For typographic purposes, "hire" must be considered to be one syllable so that nobody's tempted to line break it, even though it's not one syllable when you speak it out loud. (This is a fairly important distinction to make, because now there's a legitimate reason for it rather than my second grade teacher being either a fool or a bad liar, instead she had just accepted it blindly without thinking about it and was unequipped to handle it when I alone refused to do the same.)

The only conceivable way to force, let's say, "tire" down to one syllable is if you use an extremely thick non-rhotic accent and make it come out like rhotic "tar" (rhymes with "car", which has four of them and a spare in the trunk, but you'd rather avoid it when it's fresh on a newly patched road).

(Yes, I joined the forum just to post this, you bastards, though I've been lurking this thread since day 1 of OTC.)

Welcome, this makes perfect sense to me, though mainly applicable to English where the correlation between spoken language and the letters written is so vague (ghoti). I never needed the distinction yet between spoken syllables and written ones, but it is here to stay now.
Wait for IT. Business always complaining.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:

My guess is that it'll either be a bit faster than that and end at 1000 or a bit slower and end at 1024.

My own graph is predicting almost exactly 1024 (1022 actually):
xkcd-time-prediction.png

I took frame 982 as the beginning of the fade out, that's the first one without Megan.

Edit: of course, it could be a sine function, that way it would end somewhere around 1080 (that's a wild guess).

Edit2: graph replaced with better horizontal grid.
Last edited by NoMouse on Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:56 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

tman2nd wrote:
vvn wrote:I too am in fear of the end of Time, and I hope for a fade to a continuation.
A different possibility has occurred to me. What if Time ends, and then in some number of new pix a comic appears titled "Time 2". Adventure continues....

We would need to move to the new thread for that comic if that happens. I suspect we would come into contact with the other forum dwellers for a time*.

*Pun not intended

Ew that would be horrible.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

treadman

Postby treadman » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

GerardE wrote:
Spoiler:
Ray Kremer wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
Kethryes wrote:
Is wire one syllable ?

Can be one or two;
(Sometimes a triphthong)

Welcome, this makes perfect sense to me, though mainly applicable to English where the correlation between spoken language and the letters written is so vague (ghoti). I never needed the distinction yet between spoken syllables and written ones, but it is here to stay now.

Yes. Yes. It makes sense to me too.

Now will everyone please pronounce the 'Y' in Hyundai. It's not like English speakers can't combine the 'H' sound with the 'Y' sound. Consider the words huge, humid and Houston.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Does grey sand have the same structural properties as black sand? Maybe greying is some form of rot (not rot13) and the stilts will topple.

descor

Postby descor » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

treadman wrote:
GerardE wrote:
Spoiler:
Ray Kremer wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
Kethryes wrote:
Is wire one syllable ?

Can be one or two;
(Sometimes a triphthong)

Now will everyone please pronounce the 'Y' in Hyundai. It's not like English speakers can't combine the 'H' sound with the 'Y' sound. Consider the words huge, humid and Houston.

Pronounce it how? (I think I already pronounce it (I say hi-un-die (as do most people I know (I have a Hyundai (Oh no (I'm trapped in nested parentheses (Please help ...

How annoying is that that I have no intention of closing any of those?

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Pfffft... Who cares about grammar and semantics? I'm too busy enjoying all the cute kitty avatars. :D

As an animal lover, I like being in the herd* of cats.

*Herd? Flock? Bevy? What do you call a caboodle of cats????

Clowder.

Seriously???

*quick Google check*

Well, I'll be damned! I learned a cool new word. :D

ETA: And after more research, have also discovered that a group of kittens is a "kindle"!!! Wonder if Amazon knows that...

ETA2: Although, after more research, it does seem that "kindle" typically refers to baby rabbits. But Kittens, too.

ETA3: Yeah... I miss Megan and Cueball, too!

ETA4: Whoops! -- The conversation's gone on to a NewPage without me... I'll go catch up, now.

Prolly from the custom of using kittens to start a fire.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

how long's left not loONG

I make this one 0d0d0d (13)
Last edited by SPACKlick on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

descor wrote:Pronounce it how? (I think I already pronounce it (I say hi-un-die (as do most people I know (I have a Hyundai (Oh no (I'm trapped in nested parentheses (Please help)))))))

Now it's fixed. Yes, I had to. I felt like Sheldon in the latest episode.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

treadman

Postby treadman » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

descor wrote:
treadman wrote:
GerardE wrote:
Spoiler:
Ray Kremer wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
Kethryes wrote:
Is wire one syllable ?

Can be one or two;
(Sometimes a triphthong)

Pronounce it how? (I think I already pronounce it (I say hi-un-die (as do most people I know (I have a Hyundai (Oh no (I'm trapped in nested parentheses (Please help ...

Hyun - like Attila the Hun, only add the 'y' sound
Day - only its a softer 'ay', more like in fast, rather than paste.

But hyun-day is fine. It really should be hyun-dai. Oh right. Just like it's spelled.

Hangul: 현대

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

htom wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
SBN wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Pfffft... Who cares about grammar and semantics? I'm too busy enjoying all the cute kitty avatars. :D

As an animal lover, I like being in the herd* of cats.

*Herd? Flock? Bevy? What do you call a caboodle of cats????

Clowder.

Seriously???

*quick Google check*

Well, I'll be damned! I learned a cool new word. :D

And a kindle of kittens.

Yeah! I discovered that and got stuck in a repeated edit loop back on the previous page. :lol:

"Terms of venery" is the fancy name. Some of them are listed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animal_names but that list is frequently vandalized. There are books from centuries ago with older names of multiples of beasts (pride of lions comes to mind.)

My favourite is "an ascendance of larks". And those who have been following attentively will understand that that is on-topic. (Added to appease the nitpicker a few pages back)

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

Just checked in to say,
thanks for the hat, buffygirl.
Now my head is warm.

(Though I'm not 100% sure what the thing I'm holding is. A keyboard?)

Everyone please feel free to continue pronouncing Hyundai and other brand names the way they are pronounced in ads in your country/region. They [edit: they=the official pronunciations promoted by the companies] differ between English-speaking countries (I know the pronunciation of Pantene differs between New Zealand and Ireland, for example, and of course it's different again in francophone Switzerland) and sometimes they change (I remember when Hyundai changed from /haɪˈuːndaɪ/ to /ˈhʌndeɪ/ in NZ, and people said that was closer to the Korean, though wikipedia says it would be closer still if the y were pronounced, e.g. as in /ˈhjʌndeɪ/.) There's really no point arguing over its pronunciation unless you're speaking Korean in Korea.

Should we get into a flame war over the name of that ice-cream company with the heart logo next? I hope not; it would melt the ice cream.
Last edited by Angelastic on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:22 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
descor wrote:Pronounce it how? (I think I already pronounce it (I say hi-un-die (as do most people I know (I have a Hyundai (Oh no (I'm trapped in nested parentheses (Please help)))))))

Except that you closed your own parentheses.
)))))))
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

htom

Postby htom » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:

We had an extension in a language pre-processor that would take an unmatched ] and close all open parentheses. Then someone modified it to ]d , and it would close d of them, * meaning all.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

treadman

Postby treadman » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Just checked in to say,
Now my head is warm.

Everyone please feel free to continue pronouncing Hyundai and other brand names the way they are pronounced in ads in your country/region. They differ between English-speaking countries (I know the pronunciation of Pantene differs between New Zealand and Ireland, for example, and of course it's different again in francophone Switzerland) and sometimes they change (I remember when Hyundai changed from /haɪˈuːndaɪ/ to /ˈhʌndeɪ/ in NZ, and people said that was closer to the Korean, though wikipedia says it would be closer still if the y were pronounced, e.g. as in /ˈhjʌndeɪ/.) There's really no point arguing over its pronunciation unless you're speaking Korean in Korea.

Should we get into a flame war over the name of that ice-cream company with the heart logo next? I hope not; it would melt the ice cream.

Yes. I agree that everyone should feel free to pronounce it however they want.

My hobby: Hijacking people's off-topic rant to a slightly different off-topic rant.

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
dreiarmumig wrote:

My own graph is predicting almost exactly 1024 (1022 actually):
xkcd-time-prediction.png

I took frame 982 as the beginning of the fade out, that's the first one without Megan.

Edit: of course, it could be a sine function, that way it would end somewhere around 1080 (that's a wild guess).

Edit2: graph replaced with better horizontal grid.

Lovely graphs all.

Depending on the software used, the "f-curve" will most likely be taking the form of something close to a sine curve. After Effects and Flash, for instance, have a simple default ease-in/ease-out function you'd apply to the in/out key frames.

Not sure what he's using, could be something like ToonBoom Studio, or who knows what, but it may not comply perfectly with a sine-curve, but definitely be something that conforms similarly, such as, easing in on a slope, an exponential curve that dissolves into a linear shot to the crest, then an exponential curve toward a slope that eases out.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

Sheldon

Postby Sheldon » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:I felt like Sheldon in the latest episode.

Should I be taking better medication to stop the episodes?
I assume it must be quite serious as I don't remember them at all. I think I should be okay on the weekend as it was work colleagues who told me about them.

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

Huh, people... Blitzgirl hasn't posted for 11 pages now. Has anyone... tried communicating with her in the past?
What if the past is eroding with the comic??? She may be disappeared with the fading! WE NEED TO SAVE HER!!!!!

Spoiler:
Either that or she's just speed reading so she can get here before time ends, and posting would slow her down...
*Insert witty comment*

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: "Time": may the thread live forever

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote: 1190 Forever!

I think we have another possible t-shirt slogan,

Angelastic wrote:Just checked in to say,
Now my head is warm.

I think you're selling snacks. (Perhaps to buy that third quark?)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

EraObserver wrote:Huh, people... Blitzgirl hasn't posted for 11 pages now. Has anyone... tried communicating with her in the past?
What if the past is eroding with the comic??? She may be disappeared with the fading! WE NEED TO SAVE HER!!!!!

Spoiler:
Either that or she's just speed reading so she can get here before time ends, and posting would slow her down...

Calm down, folk. Give her 5 pages.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

EraObserver wrote:Huh, people... Blitzgirl hasn't posted for 11 pages now. Has anyone... tried communicating with her in the past?

Spoiler:

I haven't seen her online in ages either, but maybe she's just not logged in...

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:

Spoiler:

I just saw her online a bit ago.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

CURRAWONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

descor wrote:
Spoiler:
Kazza3 wrote:
descor wrote:
VrookLamar wrote:I think the large number of periods is starting to become confusing. The periods should be grouped into episodes of about 150 frames each. The episodes should again be grouped into eras of about 900 frames each. Larger categories will still have to be invented, but this will do for now.

How about the Pre-expansion1 episode2 from 001-136 and the Castleiferous3 episode4 from 137-324.

1i.e. the Precambrian
3From Carboniferous
4Still not a fan.
5EDITED6 to fix grammar.
6ETA edit note

The idea of bigger sections (I prefer the term eras rather than episodes, to keep to geologic time references, and the larger categories VrookLamar called eras could be called eons) has been brought up before but not implemented. The term 'Castleiferous' is wonderful.

How about this?
Geological Time.png

I had suggested Eras way back on page 351, but never updated the WIki:

Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:
treadman wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I applaud Blitzgirl for her tireless effort in clearly delineating each Period of Time. I would like to propose that Time can also be divided into two Eras--The Castle Era and the Scaffolding Era. The two era are distinct not only in terms of building materials but also, I think, of mood. In the Castle Era, the two are relaxing on the beach and decide to build a castle, and a bigger castle. The whole thing, the recursive castles, the trebucheting of the castles, all seems to have a sense of play. And as Cueball says at the end, "It's been fun. . ."

For me, the Scaffolding Era seems to have a more ominous tone. The idea that they are young and inexperienced (and not very bright), and are just idly wondering about how the world works is interesting, and possible. However, I sense something deeper, and it's not just the ocean. The concern about the rising water level, the confusion about their surroundings, it all seems to have a lost and worried tone. Maybe I'm just imagining it (I am the Imaginator, after all) but the two sections seem to be very different.

The problem I see with this is that Time can also be divided into the Pre and Post-Flood Era. The scaffolding is present in both.

You can see into the future? :o

The flooding started once the water breached the wall Megan made.

Isnt that a bit presumptious to call that a "flood"?
Maybe it's just high tide?
Since they don't seem to know anything about their surrounding or how they work, maybe they arrived on the beach during low tide (which would explain the wet sand they used for building the sand castle) and then noticed the water was rising.

I agree. "flood" is a bit much. We can call it a flood when things start getting washed away.

This is an interesting point. In all the time they've been building, we haven't really seen the tide coming in and going out, have we? Just a steady increase in level. And Megan does say the sea level hasn't risen this fast before. (Although, how does she know that, when there seem to be so many basic things about the world that she doesn't know?) The tide can wash things away, especially (sand) castles, so I don't know that this would make it a flood. If it's a tide or a flood, either way, it's a very slow-moving one.

At any rate, this doesn't really affect the idea of The Castle Era and The Scaffolding Era, since it's all happening during the Scaffolding Era. If it turns out to be a flood, then within the Scaffolding Era we can have Antediluvian and Postdiluvian Epochs.

Just to add that back in to the discussion.

ggh wrote:Edit: why does it distract me so much that they left that box there?

Yeah, that really bugs me too!

Eternal Density wrote:If It is the end of Time then I don't want to Wait for It, because I don't want it to happen. Waiting has brought us to newpic after newpic, which is good, but eventually it will take us to the lastpic, which will be sad. In a way, this is like life and death. Except that we.'ll all be still alive.
Except given the number of people who die each day, what are the odds that everyone who started Time will be still alive at the end?

That is way too depressing a thought. Stop it! You're bumming me out!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

Here's the proper version of the latest frame (so those of us using Chrome can see what it's supposed to look like)
descor wrote:How about this?
Geological Time.png

I like this a lot!
I think these should become the official eras.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

So it has changed again after one frame to #0e0e0e (RGB(14,14,14)). My (probably completely wrong) prediction is now 1027.

Edit: @patzer No, it's still wrong in Google Chrome, although less wrong than the original. This one is showing as RGB(26,26,26), while the original as RGB(68,68,68) in Chrome. The only way to be sure that it is displayed right is probably converting it into JPEG.
Last edited by NoMouse on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
dreiarmumig wrote:

Spoiler:

I just saw her online a bit ago.

Ok, dry humor aside, I was just musing if she is currently speed reading to get to the end before, well, you know... it ends.
*Insert witty comment*

lululu

Postby lululu » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

I'm guessing it'll be a round number, either 1000 or 1024.

Hi BlitzGirl! Good luck and randallspeed to you. Also, when the time comes, remember to fill the swimming pool.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote: No, it's still wrong in Google Chrome, although less wrong than the original. This one is showing as RGB(26,26,26), while the original as RGB(68,68,68) in Chrome. The only way to be sure that it is displayed right is probably converting it into JPEG.

Intersting. By just loading the original image in paint, colouring the top half FFFFFF, and saving it, the image looks a lot darker, but still lighter than the original. :?

Edit: I'm going to go and make an article on Eras on the wiki, nobody seems to be against the idea
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

Some Ways to Time

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
descor wrote:
Spoiler:
Kazza3 wrote:
descor wrote:

1i.e. the Precambrian
3From Carboniferous
4Still not a fan.
5EDITED6 to fix grammar.
6ETA edit note

How about this?
Geological Time.png

I had suggested Eras way back on page 351, but never updated the WIki:

Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:
treadman wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I applaud Blitzgirl for her tireless effort in clearly delineating each Period of Time. I would like to propose that Time can also be divided into two Eras--The Castle Era and the Scaffolding Era. The two era are distinct not only in terms of building materials but also, I think, of mood. In the Castle Era, the two are relaxing on the beach and decide to build a castle, and a bigger castle. The whole thing, the recursive castles, the trebucheting of the castles, all seems to have a sense of play. And as Cueball says at the end, "It's been fun. . ."

For me, the Scaffolding Era seems to have a more ominous tone. The idea that they are young and inexperienced (and not very bright), and are just idly wondering about how the world works is interesting, and possible. However, I sense something deeper, and it's not just the ocean. The concern about the rising water level, the confusion about their surroundings, it all seems to have a lost and worried tone. Maybe I'm just imagining it (I am the Imaginator, after all) but the two sections seem to be very different.

The problem I see with this is that Time can also be divided into the Pre and Post-Flood Era. The scaffolding is present in both.

You can see into the future? :o

The flooding started once the water breached the wall Megan made.

Isnt that a bit presumptious to call that a "flood"?
Maybe it's just high tide?
Since they don't seem to know anything about their surrounding or how they work, maybe they arrived on the beach during low tide (which would explain the wet sand they used for building the sand castle) and then noticed the water was rising.

I agree. "flood" is a bit much. We can call it a flood when things start getting washed away.

This is an interesting point. In all the time they've been building, we haven't really seen the tide coming in and going out, have we? Just a steady increase in level. And Megan does say the sea level hasn't risen this fast before. (Although, how does she know that, when there seem to be so many basic things about the world that she doesn't know?) The tide can wash things away, especially (sand) castles, so I don't know that this would make it a flood. If it's a tide or a flood, either way, it's a very slow-moving one.

At any rate, this doesn't really affect the idea of The Castle Era and The Scaffolding Era, since it's all happening during the Scaffolding Era. If it turns out to be a flood, then within the Scaffolding Era we can have Antediluvian and Postdiluvian Epochs.

Just to add that back in to the discussion.

Puh-leeze. Page 170, bitches! (And with a followup reference to the Wikipedia article a bit further down.)

Added rather later: Actually, I've turned up my even earlier suggestion of the same, on page 117.
Last edited by KarMann on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”