1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
slinches
Slinches get Stinches
Posts: 941
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

chem1190c wrote:Whereas if the sun were oriented perpendicular to the XY plane of the comic we might not notice any visible gradients until after it was nearly below the horizon
sun_Z_offset.jpg


In all cases assume that the sun would (over the course of a sunset) be traveling down in the Y direction

Edit: oops. I forgot the important part:
xyz.jpg


If the sun is normal to the comic plane, wouldn't we see it in the frame before any significant changes in lighting occur?

User avatar
Sciscitor
Posts: 494
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:20 am UTC
Location: Austria

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

I think it's just the fullfillment of Cueballs prediction in frames 654, 655, and 656:

654 Megan: I like our castle.
655 Cueball: I think it's going to go away.
656 Megan (sad nod): Yeah.


What happens now is just that: The castle is going to go away.

A rather anticlimatic ending though.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4613
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby poxic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

Not atypical of the author's style, though. He's done quite a few bittersweet comics.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up i am with this.
- Tomlidich the second

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6789
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

slinches wrote:If the sun is normal to the comic plane, wouldn't we see it in the frame before any significant changes in lighting occur?

Not if it's cloudy. That would also explain the lack of shadows.

Anyway, I'm really starting to believe that this is the endgame. Fading and collapsing castles until it's all white.
That might be good news, though; I believe that every single prediction I made since the beginning of Time was wrong...
Last edited by mscha on Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
Angelastic
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:36 am UTC
Location: .at (let's see what's through here!)
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Angelastic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

slinches wrote:If the sun is normal to the comic plane, wouldn't we see it in the frame before any significant changes in lighting occur?

You mean see the sun itself? Not if it's behind us.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

User avatar
NoMouse
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:05 pm UTC
Location: Czech Republic

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby NoMouse » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

Actaeus wrote:We all seem to be in agreement with regards to grisometry, but I think we should continue to state the source of each measurement to avoid confusion.

Feel free to add to or correct this list:

Reliable: MS Paint, GIMP, IE10, Opera

Unreliable: Chrome, Firefox, Photoshop CS6

Opera browser is also reliable so far (it is also possible to measure the color directly in the browser with its own developer tool Opera Dragonfly).
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

User avatar
slinches
Slinches get Stinches
Posts: 941
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:If It is the end of Time then I don't want to Wait for It, because I don't want it to happen. Waiting has brought us to newpic after newpic, which is good, but eventually it will take us to the lastpic, which will be sad. In a way, this is like life and death. Except that we.'ll all be still alive.
Except given the number of people who die each day, what are the odds that everyone who started Time will be still alive at the end?


That is way too depressing a thought. Stop it! You're bumming me out!


Here, I (re)wrote you a song to cheer you up. :D

Spoiler:
"Paint It Black"
I see a gray pixel and I want it painted black
No shades anymore I want them to turn black
I see LaPetite walk by dressed in her summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes
I see a line of castles and they're all painted black
With Megan and Cueball both never to come back
I see people turn their heads and quickly look away
Like a new born semanatedcoffeecancerbabby it just happens ev'ry day
I look inside myself and see my heart is black
I see my gray pixel and it has been painted black
Maybe then it'll stop fading away and I'll not have to face the facts
There's no need facin' up when your whole world is black
No more will my black sea go turn a lighter gray
I could not foresee this thing happening today
If I look hard enough into the settin sun
M&C will laugh with me before the mornin comes
I see a gray pixel and I want it painted black
No shades anymore I want them to turn black
I see LaPetite walk by dressed in her summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes
Hmm, hmm, hmm,...
I wanna see it painted, painted black
Black as night, black as coal
I wanna see the sun blotted out from the sky
I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black
Yeah!

Okay, maybe that wasn't so cheerful after all. :oops:

User avatar
dgbrt
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:45 pm UTC
Location: Space, Milkyway, Solar System, Earth, Europe and finally Germany

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby dgbrt » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

After a so long Time just lurking here I feel you great investigators do need some more THANKS!

So buffygirl, I don't need a hat unless you have a better one...

Firefox still does render that fade into Black,
Opera is much better.

This is a 256px wide picture showing you the levels from #000000 to #ffffff
We are now at 22pix at that image and you can see we still have to Wait for it.

Image removed because I got this:
"This message was flagged as spam and has been denied."
Help me on this. How I can do post a picture?

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6789
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

Time for another sea¹ update. Rising rapidly, sea wall still useless and almost under water. Another tower has collapsed. The remains look fairly stable, so it might be a while before the next collapse – and by then it might be too faded to notice.
Time_sea_level_rise_20130427_1800.png
Time_sea_level_rise_20130427_1800.png (4.4 KiB) Viewed 12490 times


¹: yeah yeah, we know, shut up already.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
Sciscitor
Posts: 494
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:20 am UTC
Location: Austria

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

Judging from the waves caused by the sliding sand, the internal flow of time has speeded up a lot from previous frames. You can still see rather high waves tapering out over two, maybe three frames after a landslide.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

User avatar
tman2nd
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere south of the North Poll

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby tman2nd » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:(Though I'm not 100% sure what the thing I'm holding is. A leopard?)

FTFY
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2152
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Judging from the waves caused by the sliding sand, the internal flow of time has speeded up a lot from previous frames. You can still see rather high waves tapering out over two, maybe three frames after a landslide.

Doesn't that mean time has slowed down? Less time passes between frames?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
RobIrr
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:17 pm UTC
Location: Salford. UK.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby RobIrr » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

In for a song..

Image

20 / 0x14 ...
Image
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
azule wrote:
SBN wrote:I like that too, but I keep thinking the location says The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Woot! I think it's cute too!
Who says it doesn't say that, SBN? ;)

:D So, where is this land? I must go there.

It's really hard to get to. You must travel on a rainbow. You'll need light walking shoes. BYOGP too.

Eternal Density wrote:If It is the end of Time then I don't want to Wait for It, because I don't want it to happen. Waiting has brought us to newpic after newpic, which is good, but eventually it will take us to the lastpic, which will be sad. In a way, this is like life and death. Except that we.'ll all be still alive.
Except given the number of people who die each day, what are the odds that everyone who started Time will be still alive at the end?

Damn, that's existential. Now I wonder if anyone will have died by the time the "end" comes. That would be sad. We'll have to dedicate an entire NewPage to them. Though, how would we know?

Ray Kremer wrote:May I address, and possibly settle, this issue? It's been a pet peeve of mine ever since second grade (plus or minus, I don't recall exactly) when the teacher was introducing us to the concept of syllables, <snip/>
(Yes, I joined the forum just to post this, you bastards, though I've been lurking this thread since day 1 of OTC.)

Hah. Great when that happens. I totally agree on the "<snip/>". Second grade and putting up such a fight, so intriguing. I don't think I did such until middle school. heh.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
tman2nd
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere south of the North Poll

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby tman2nd » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

azule wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:If It is the end of Time then I don't want to Wait for It, because I don't want it to happen. Waiting has brought us to newpic after newpic, which is good, but eventually it will take us to the lastpic, which will be sad. In a way, this is like life and death. Except that we.'ll all be still alive.
Except given the number of people who die each day, what are the odds that everyone who started Time will be still alive at the end?

Damn, that's existential. Now I wonder if anyone will have died by the time the "end" comes. That would be sad. We'll have to dedicate an entire NewPage to them. Though, how would we know?

What if that's what happened to Helper? :shock: :shock:
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

Yeah. I was thinking we'll just have to assume their demise. If anyone who's posted in the OTT does not post near the end when the "end" comes, we'll assume such and we'll all mourn for them together. :cry:

edit: choices and spelling.
Last edited by azule on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:27 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2152
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

azule wrote:
SBN wrote:
azule wrote:
SBN wrote:I like that too, but I keep thinking the location says The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Woot! I think it's cute too!
Who says it doesn't say that, SBN? ;)

:D So, where is this land? I must go there.

It's really hard to get to. You must travel on a rainbow. You'll need light walking shoes. BYOGP too.

I have one, or at least what used to be one. Time has marched on for her too:
Peaches.JPG
Peaches.JPG (7.73 KiB) Viewed 12378 times

Now, off to the shoe store.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
Sciscitor
Posts: 494
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:20 am UTC
Location: Austria

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Judging from the waves caused by the sliding sand, the internal flow of time has speeded up a lot from previous frames. You can still see rather high waves tapering out over two, maybe three frames after a landslide.

Doesn't that mean time has slowed down? Less time passes between frames?

You are right: The frame rate sped up.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

speising
Posts: 2042
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby speising » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

If that's indeed the end, I have to say the most surreal moment must have been the appearance of LaPetite.

User avatar
ggh
Posts: 1933
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:45 am UTC
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

Ray Kremer wrote:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:
Kethryes wrote:
Is wire one syllable ?

Can be one or two;
it depends on your accent.
(Sometimes a triphthong)

May I address, and possibly settle, this issue? It's been a pet peeve of mine ever since second grade (plus or minus, I don't recall exactly) when the teacher was introducing us to the concept of syllables, used a tripthong word as an example of a one syllable word, and I protested and was utterly unable to be convinced that it was anything less than two syllables. Only a few years ago was I actually shown the wikipedia page on tripthongs and also given a satisfactory reason for why things must be this way.

To my dying breath I will maintain that ire/fire/hire/spire/tire/wire, and hour/our, etc. etc. are pronounced as two syllable words. I can demonstrate easily: "higher", "buyer", and "tower" are perfect rhymes for the preceding examples but are clearly all two syllable non-tripthong words. "Higher" is even a homophone of "hire".

However! Dictionaries show syllable breaks for the benefit of typesetting. In order to avoid ugly white space on a line it is often desirable to break a word into two pieces between syllables with a hyphen. "They built the sandcastle high-
er until they couldn't reach the top anymore." You have to do it between syllables so that your brain can process it properly. It simply doesn't work to build the sandcastle hig-
her, because what the hell is a hig and why are you higging to that poor girl? Now pretend you are bringing on a new employee and ask yourself, where would you break "hire" across lines if you wanted to? You can't. There are three options and none of them work. You might attempt to start with "hi-" but despite the phonetics involved in the word as a whole, "re" by itself doesn't sound like "er". The other two possibilities are worse. For typographic purposes, "hire" must be considered to be one syllable so that nobody's tempted to line break it, even though it's not one syllable when you speak it out loud. (This is a fairly important distinction to make, because now there's a legitimate reason for it rather than my second grade teacher being either a fool or a bad liar, instead she had just accepted it blindly without thinking about it and was unequipped to handle it when I alone refused to do the same.)

The only conceivable way to force, let's say, "tire" down to one syllable is if you use an extremely thick non-rhotic accent and make it come out like rhotic "tar" (rhymes with "car", which has four of them and a spare in the trunk, but you'd rather avoid it when it's fresh on a newly patched road).

(Yes, I joined the forum just to post this, you bastards, though I've been lurking this thread since day 1 of OTC.)


Thanks for this! Your de-lurking was not in vain.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

We learned this week never to get in a spaceship with a madman.

Before my paint dries - it's funny the google bot can drive a car but can't contribute to a needle pulled thing, even one with such lax standards as this.

Blitzgirl's on line
Last edited by Exodies on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

For StratPlayer

For the record, I resents the OTC possibly coming to an end when I still have so many hats to make!!!
Attachments
StratPlayer-hat.jpg
StratPlayer-hat.jpg (4.83 KiB) Viewed 12254 times

User avatar
spamjam
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 pm UTC
Location: greenlake seawash

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby spamjam » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

WHATEVERONG
Image
0x16

User avatar
Actaeus
Posts: 604
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:21 pm UTC
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Actaeus » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:WHATEVERONG
16


0x16, that is, 22.

Another jump of 2!

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
BILTONGGGGGGGG...
Image

-- posted by newpixbot

I agree with the theory that the fade is more of a lighting change, such as the glare that might come from a sunset.
chem1190c wrote:<snip>
Whereas if the sun were oriented perpendicular to the XY plane of the comic we might not notice any visible gradients until after it was nearly below the horizon
Spoiler:
Image

Thank you! my thoughts exactly!

Add/Edit: spoilered

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

Prediction: The fade to white will be a time fade. We will pick up after their adventure concludes. During the fade out we get to preview the destruction of the sea. During fade in, we see LaPetite barely escaping. ~30 frames is plenty of time for her to disappear and for M&C to then appear after full fade in.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
Angelastic
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:36 am UTC
Location: .at (let's see what's through here!)
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Angelastic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

Has anyone considered that they're just running out of toner after using it all to make castles?
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

User avatar
tman2nd
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere south of the North Poll

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby tman2nd » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

azule wrote:Prediction: The fade to white will be a time fade. We will pick up after their adventure concludes. During the fade out we get to preview the destruction of the sea. During fade in, we see LaPetite barely escaping. ~30 frames is plenty of time for her to disappear and for M&C to then appear after full fade in.

Maybe we will see LaPetite entering in the last few frames of the fading.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

User avatar
pitareio
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:03 pm UTC
Location: the land of smelly cheese

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pitareio » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

SOMETHINGSWRONG

Image

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

tman2nd wrote:
azule wrote:Prediction: The fade to white will be a time fade. We will pick up after their adventure concludes. During the fade out we get to preview the destruction of the sea. During fade in, we see LaPetite barely escaping. ~30 frames is plenty of time for her to disappear and for M&C to then appear after full fade in.

Maybe we will see LaPetite entering in the last few frames of the fading.

That's a possibility. Fits in well still. :)
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
VeloCityGirl
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:24 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby VeloCityGirl » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Edit: Aagh, sorry. Rogue mouse caused double post. How do you delete a post?
Edit2: I see I should have deleted the second one, instead of trying to edit this one away. Double screw-up
Last edited by VeloCityGirl on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:05 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
VeloCityGIrl, now hatted! Thanks buffygirl.

User avatar
VeloCityGirl
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:24 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby VeloCityGirl » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Ray Kremer wrote:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:
Kethryes wrote:
Is wire one syllable ?

Can be one or two;
it depends on your accent.
(Sometimes a triphthong)

May I address, and possibly settle, this issue? It's been a pet peeve of mine ever since second grade (plus or minus, I don't recall exactly) when the teacher was introducing us to the concept of syllables, used a tripthong word as an example of a one syllable word, and I protested and was utterly unable to be convinced that it was anything less than two syllables. Only a few years ago was I actually shown the wikipedia page on tripthongs and also given a satisfactory reason for why things must be this way.

To my dying breath I will maintain that ire/fire/hire/spire/tire/wire, and hour/our, etc. etc. are pronounced as two syllable words. I can demonstrate easily: "higher", "buyer", and "tower" are perfect rhymes for the preceding examples but are clearly all two syllable non-tripthong words. "Higher" is even a homophone of "hire".

However! Dictionaries show syllable breaks for the benefit of typesetting. In order to avoid ugly white space on a line it is often desirable to break a word into two pieces between syllables with a hyphen. "They built the sandcastle high-
er until they couldn't reach the top anymore." You have to do it between syllables so that your brain can process it properly. It simply doesn't work to build the sandcastle hig-
her, because what the hell is a hig and why are you higging to that poor girl? Now pretend you are bringing on a new employee and ask yourself, where would you break "hire" across lines if you wanted to? You can't. There are three options and none of them work. You might attempt to start with "hi-" but despite the phonetics involved in the word as a whole, "re" by itself doesn't sound like "er". The other two possibilities are worse. For typographic purposes, "hire" must be considered to be one syllable so that nobody's tempted to line break it, even though it's not one syllable when you speak it out loud. (This is a fairly important distinction to make, because now there's a legitimate reason for it rather than my second grade teacher being either a fool or a bad liar, instead she had just accepted it blindly without thinking about it and was unequipped to handle it when I alone refused to do the same.)

The only conceivable way to force, let's say, "tire" down to one syllable is if you use an extremely thick non-rhotic accent and make it come out like rhotic "tar" (rhymes with "car", which has four of them and a spare in the trunk, but you'd rather avoid it when it's fresh on a newly patched road).

(Yes, I joined the forum just to post this, you bastards, though I've been lurking this thread since day 1 of OTC.)


Thanks for this! Your de-lurking was not in vain.


All Hail ggh! You taught me something as well, such an explanation is like a closing of an un-closed paren.
VeloCityGIrl, now hatted! Thanks buffygirl.

User avatar
spamjam
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 pm UTC
Location: greenlake seawash

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby spamjam » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

Now 0x17

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

For Jonas79

no, this is not sacrilege! And remember, I'm in a hurry!
Attachments
Jonas79-hat.jpg
Jonas79-hat.jpg (4.28 KiB) Viewed 12095 times

User avatar
Eliram
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eliram » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Ray Kremer wrote:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:
Kethryes wrote:
Is wire one syllable ?

Can be one or two;
it depends on your accent.
(Sometimes a triphthong)

May I address, and possibly settle, this issue? It's been a pet peeve of mine ever since second grade (plus or minus, I don't recall exactly) when the teacher was introducing us to the concept of syllables, used a tripthong word as an example of a one syllable word, and I protested and was utterly unable to be convinced that it was anything less than two syllables. Only a few years ago was I actually shown the wikipedia page on tripthongs and also given a satisfactory reason for why things must be this way.

To my dying breath I will maintain that ire/fire/hire/spire/tire/wire, and hour/our, etc. etc. are pronounced as two syllable words. I can demonstrate easily: "higher", "buyer", and "tower" are perfect rhymes for the preceding examples but are clearly all two syllable non-tripthong words. "Higher" is even a homophone of "hire".

However! Dictionaries show syllable breaks for the benefit of typesetting. In order to avoid ugly white space on a line it is often desirable to break a word into two pieces between syllables with a hyphen. "They built the sandcastle high-
er until they couldn't reach the top anymore." You have to do it between syllables so that your brain can process it properly. It simply doesn't work to build the sandcastle hig-
her, because what the hell is a hig and why are you higging to that poor girl? Now pretend you are bringing on a new employee and ask yourself, where would you break "hire" across lines if you wanted to? You can't. There are three options and none of them work. You might attempt to start with "hi-" but despite the phonetics involved in the word as a whole, "re" by itself doesn't sound like "er". The other two possibilities are worse. For typographic purposes, "hire" must be considered to be one syllable so that nobody's tempted to line break it, even though it's not one syllable when you speak it out loud. (This is a fairly important distinction to make, because now there's a legitimate reason for it rather than my second grade teacher being either a fool or a bad liar, instead she had just accepted it blindly without thinking about it and was unequipped to handle it when I alone refused to do the same.)

The only conceivable way to force, let's say, "tire" down to one syllable is if you use an extremely thick non-rhotic accent and make it come out like rhotic "tar" (rhymes with "car", which has four of them and a spare in the trunk, but you'd rather avoid it when it's fresh on a newly patched road).

(Yes, I joined the forum just to post this, you bastards, though I've been lurking this thread since day 1 of OTC.)


Thanks for this! Your de-lurking was not in vain.

If this is not a proof that we are not (entirely) wasting our time here, I don't know what is. Thanks for an excellent explanation.
It's about time.

User avatar
Eliram
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eliram » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

azule wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
azule wrote:Prediction: The fade to white will be a time fade. We will pick up after their adventure concludes. During the fade out we get to preview the destruction of the sea. During fade in, we see LaPetite barely escaping. ~30 frames is plenty of time for her to disappear and for M&C to then appear after full fade in.

Maybe we will see LaPetite entering in the last few frames of the fading.

That's a possibility. Fits in well still. :)

Yeah, LaPetite enters a little before total white tide, she climbs on the platform and looks around. Just before FFFFFF she jumps off the platform...

... and then the phone rings.
(and the sea does whatever it wants)

EDIT: I was pushed to be Pope, hopefully not one of the last ones. As the link between the readers and lord R, I beg him, please, bring back LaPetit before the end. Thanks!
Last edited by Eliram on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's about time.

User avatar
ggh
Posts: 1933
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:45 am UTC
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

VeloCityGirl wrote:
All Hail ggh! You taught me something as well, such an explanation is like a closing of an un-closed paren.


That's exactly what I felt! But don't hail me, hail Ray Kremer - he's the one who provided the super explanation.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

User avatar
NoMouse
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:05 pm UTC
Location: Czech Republic

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby NoMouse » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

So, here's new graph. I had to change the order of the trendline generated by Excel, because it didn't fit the points well anymore. The prediction is now 926:
Spoiler:
xkcd-time-prediction2.png

I also tried to fit a sine wave in it (using graphic software) and... it doesn't fit. The current points are not part of a sine wave. So I did another thing - I copied and flipped the first half of the graph and connected it to the original half. This way the prediction is very close to 1024 again:
Spoiler:
xkcd-time-prediction3.png
(The red curve is the sine wave)
Last edited by NoMouse on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

User avatar
mathrec
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:30 am UTC
Location: Carlsbad, California
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mathrec » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

Count me among those who have not died. I'm still here, for there is still Time.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

User avatar
descor
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:00 am UTC
Location: UK

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby descor » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:Count me among those who have not died. I'm still here, for there is still Time.

Do we need to take a register1?

1Am I right in thinking this is called a roll call in the US?
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests