1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

CatHectic

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby CatHectic » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:22 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Added -- list of all posters to the One True Thread
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits

That's fabulous. As of this post, more than a thousand different users have posted to this thread. How many threads even have a thousand posts?

One small request, though: Could you add the time the list is last updated, and the total number of posts at that time?

Agreed, absolutely awesome! To add to the small requests, if you have the time: perhaps you can add a link to a forum post search for each user? That way we could find posts in context in the thread.

If I've interpreted it properly, the author name would need to be inserted where BlitzGirl is in this url, where "t=101043" limits the search to the 1190: "Time" needle-pulled thingie:

http://forums.xkcd.com/search.php?terms=all&author=BlitzGirl&sr=posts&ch=500&t=101043&submit=Search

Thank you for doing this (and all the other amazing things you've contributed -- my heart leapt when I recognized the Lemming in your snapshot, and I've watched the video several times now. :D )

Edited to add:

BlitzGirl, I have a small but important request for you. I know you're hurrying up to wait with us before the end of Time, but you will be passing through some musical posts between the saltwater1 and the sea2 strand anyway. Will you please keep your eyes open for some special herbs that will bring comfort, strength, remembrance, and courage to those who will be needing it?

Thank you, and keep up that tempo di fulmineo!

1 saltwaterbaconsemenatedcaffeinebabies
2 big
Last edited by CatHectic on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Your Larghissimographer, collector of the xkcd Time Travel Mix

Keep going, BlitzGirl the Next (that's you, Vytron! And you too, edo!): remember, tempo rubato, tempo di fulmineo! Please keep sending us news of your progress, with all your blitz class and blitz style...

htom

Postby htom » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:23 am UTC

The high structures, castle and the platform with the railing, are not fading like the sand and sea.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Rick_LANL

Postby Rick_LANL » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:29 am UTC

vvn wrote:

I am surprised at the number of posters with only 1.

Add: I get #222222 in Gimp after a "save image as". Just FYI.

The record shall show that I was not among the 1-post rabble...

34 (in base 10, or 10 in base 34) also the value shown by Matlab, the lingua franca in image processing, at least among we suckers who haven't learned Python.

aeglaeca

Postby aeglaeca » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:33 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:You know we should really stop posting in black all the time. If we are truly devout followers of time we should post in whatever the current newpix color which shell now be know as the newcolor! Right now it is almost impossible to tell the difference between this and black in text but it's far more important that you know you've done it right! To do this just place color tags around all your text as follows:

Code: Select all

[color=#1f1f1f]hello[/color]

This could be done in peoples sigs, as an indication to blitzgirl how much time she has left. Though it seems that the gandolfesque Time collapse might actually be happening in front of her (and us).

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:39 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:For StratPlayer

For the record, I resents the OTC possibly coming to an end when I still have so many hats to make!!!

Thank you very much, Oh most-talented hatress!!! I shall wear it proudly!

I like the improved background, too. And the hat is awesome -- the swirly feathery trails remind me almost of an Escher print or something.

Very cool!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Editer

Postby Editer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:40 am UTC

Oh me yarm my position on the list is the same as the street number of the house I grew up in! :shock: Kewl.
These days, if you don't have ADD, you not paying close enough attention. -- J.P. Barlow

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:40 am UTC

htom wrote:The high structures, castle and the platform with the railing, are not fading like the sand and sea.

This is what I get when I apply a simple threshold of 35:
037251575a1734ca50a9bf427b400c782f204adc70dc2ada362f96bdbac001a5-threshold.png
037251575a1734ca50a9bf427b400c782f204adc70dc2ada362f96bdbac001a5-threshold.png (2.8 KiB) Viewed 8560 times

When I use 34, it's all white except for the border. So, I'm not sure where you're coming from.

Added: Unless you mean the quicker lightening where there are a couple of poles/polls/planks/plancks coming together? Your "not fading like" is kind of vague; left me wondering if you meant they'd stopped fading at all, or if they were fading faster or slower, and if so, which.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

aeglaeca

Postby aeglaeca » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:44 am UTC

Editer wrote:

Gee Willikers my position on the list is the same as the street number of the house I grew up in! :shock: Kewl.

Unlikely to remain that way after your post though :wink:

htom

Postby htom » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:48 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
htom wrote:The high structures, castle and the platform with the railing, are not fading like the sand and sea.

Spoiler:

When I use 34, it's all white except for the border. So, I'm not sure where you're coming from.

Strange. This is something I see in my display. There must be a stripe across the image that's a little darker. If I move the image up and down by moving the Opera window about, the dark stripe moves. Well, no, the dark stripe remains in the same place on the screen, the image moves over it. Must be an illumination fall-off across that strip of screen. (Old Thinkpad 600x at the moment, still the best keyboard ever put on a laptop.)
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:48 am UTC

KarMann wrote:

Spoiler:

Added: Unless you mean the quicker lightening where there are a couple of poles/polls/planks/plancks coming together? Your "not fading like" is kind of vague; left me wondering if you meant they'd stopped fading at all, or if they were fading faster or slower, and if so, which.

This animated version might help clarify:
037251575a1734ca50a9bf427b400c782f204adc70dc2ada362f96bdbac001a5-threshold.gif

Added: Ah, I see you've found a likely explanation. Nevermind, then.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

htom

Postby htom » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:50 am UTC

Cross posted.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:51 am UTC

...and other catching -up-ed-ness:

mathrec wrote:Count me among those who have not died. I'm still here, for there is still Time.

At last check, I count myself as also still among the living, although each breath I take means one less in my available bukkit o' breaths, so one never knows... All I can do is Wait for it.

descor wrote:
Vytron wrote: (progress report...)

When you finally get here Vytron I hope there is still Time for you to continue :?

Either way, congratulations on making it this far and I hope your paradoxes resolve themselves.

Yes, congratulations, Vytron! And just so you know -- Paradoxes can be cured, but, of course, it does take two doctors to do it...

Awesome work! And w00t -- Broke into the top five!!!
Last edited by StratPlayer on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:52 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
buffygirl wrote:NOTICE:
Now taking applications for milliner's apprentice. No experience required. Must be willing to be bossed around mercilessly. Apply within.

Hmm, I'm afraid to ask.

Where?

Hey, be good; she's married.

That's not the only problem. Take a look at what she's holding.1 And she looks angry.

1: Here's Johnny!

:roll: :roll: I hatepie you allcake!!!

pieno I don't! I'm just totally stuck on my last three hat-mob hats..... and .... and ... I will reject any suggestions given, whether by apprentice or other .... I am sooooo screwed!

cake y'all

solobutterfly

Postby solobutterfly » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:54 am UTC

Comics like this make me feel like I'm living a part of history. It's been updating for over a month. If people aren't studying and discussing and loving the brilliance and heart of xkcd 50 years from, then I will be sorely disappointed with humanity and art appreciation.
Last edited by solobutterfly on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:54 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:...and other catching -up-ed-ness:

mathrec wrote:Count me among those who have not died. I'm still here, for there is still Time.

At last check, I count myself as also still among the living, although each breath I take is one less from my available bukkit o' breaths, so one never knows... All I can do is Wait for it.

Don't worry. If you don't, the Time Vulture will.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

HereBeUnmappedBits

Postby HereBeUnmappedBits » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:55 am UTC

vvn wrote:I am surprised at the number of posters with only 1.

I'm not. Sometimes someone just encounters something that compels them to emerge from the darkness, post a response and than disappear back into wherever it is they came from.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:04 am UTC

Spoiler:

Color is #222222 #252525.

Edit: Also, the sea wall is all but gone. Only two one more pixel of rise before it's submerged entirely

Edit2: my bad. Forgot to check that the file name had updated.
Last edited by slinches on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:16 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:04 am UTC

solobutterfly wrote:Comics like this make me feel like I'm living a part of history. It's been updating for over a month. If people aren't studying and discussing and loving the brilliance and heart of xkcd 50 years from, then I will be sorely disappointed with humanity and art appreciation.

Comics like this? Are you implying there is more than one One True Comic? Heresy! Burn the heretic! Burn him in whitened flames until his charred corpse is stained white with holy fire!

So I'm still twelfth, huh? Guess I've gotta post 23 more times to pass tman2nd...he he.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:07 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
solobutterfly wrote:Comics like this make me feel like I'm living a part of history. It's been updating for over a month. If people aren't studying and discussing and loving the brilliance and heart of xkcd 50 years from, then I will be sorely disappointed with humanity and art appreciation.

Comics like this? Are you implying there is more than one One True Comic? Heresy! Burn the heretic! Burn him in whitened flames until his charred corpse is stained white with holy fire!

Your assumption is not necessarily true. What leads to wonder you did you reached that conclusion...
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:07 am UTC

0x25ONG
Definitely looking gray-ish on FF now.

aeglaeca

Postby aeglaeca » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:11 am UTC

Once we get to all white, Randall could always just keep loading new white frames a la recursion theory from earlier. Or fade back to frame 1. Either way a loop).

) Not that I'm a loopist. Can't remember whether that's a "noticing someones new haircut" or not.(
( As patzer previously noted.

Edit: added link, and hat tip to patzer.
Last edited by aeglaeca on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:19 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:13 am UTC

slinches wrote:
Spoiler:

Color is #222222.

Edit: Also, the sea wall is all but gone. Only two more pixels rise before it's submerged entirely

Weird; this time, the colour you report is darker than mine, the reverse of the usual. I'm showing #252525.
Edit: Oh! You're showing the previous NewPix there, hash starting with 0372. The New NewPix starts with 33d0.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:22 am UTC

You've always been living a part of history. Perhaps you just haven't been living an interesting part of it before...

And art is in the eye of the beholder, but I agree that we be holdin' something special here. :)

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:25 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
slinches wrote:
Spoiler:

Color is #222222.

Edit: Also, the sea wall is all but gone. Only two more pixels rise before it's submerged entirely

Weird; this time, the colour you report is darker than mine, the reverse of the usual. I'm showing #252525.
Edit: Oh! You're showing the previous NewPix there, hash starting with 0372. The New NewPix starts with 33d0.

Yeah, it seems like the server is getting a bit slow again. I didn't pull the image file until about 3 min after. It makes it a bit more difficult to tell since there are such small changes.

Oh, and I just noticed an odd coincidence in the hashes of the last two frames. The last three characters are sequential (1a5 then 1a6).

Edit: reduced ambiguity
Last edited by slinches on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:31 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:[snip]

Yes, congratulations, Vytron! And just so you know -- Paradoxes can be cured, but, of course, it does take two doctors to do it...

"A Paradox May Be Paradoctored." - Robert A. Heinlein

ETA:
* buffygirl, I don't know if VeloCityGirl is in your hat mob or not, but I can't help thinking her present avatar looks more like a hat in need of a character than a character in need of a hat...
* Also, does anyone besides me look at aeglaeca's avatar and think, "Cookie Monster in Hell!"
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:33 am UTC

I've decided that this fading business is extremely relaxing. I know everyone is running around predicting when the end will come, but I find watching the scene slowly disappear very calming. Am I the only one?
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:42 am UTC

htom wrote:
KarMann wrote:

Spoiler:

Strange. This is something I see in my display. There must be a stripe across the image that's a little darker. If I move the image up and down by moving the Opera window about, the dark stripe moves. Well, no, the dark stripe remains in the same place on the screen, the image moves over it. Must be an illumination fall-off across that strip of screen. (Old Thinkpad 600x at the moment, still the best keyboard ever put on a laptop.)

In further reply, this might be too obvious, or not, but did you try looking at the screen from different angles? That kind of banding sometimes shows up on LCDs when viewed at different angles, even just the different angles of the top & bottom of the screen.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:42 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
slinches wrote:
Spoiler:

Color is #222222.

Just FYI -- I figured out the head-scratching discrepancies in grayscale values between my results in Photoshop and some others here.

On this particular image, with a gamma of 1.0 / 8-bit Grayscale, I'm getting a hex of #1c1c1c (87% gray / 28 rgb).

If I convert the colorspace from the original 8-bit grayscale to "Index Color" (a color look up table that creates 256 swatches based on the range of colors from the original 8-bit image), then I get a corroborating #222222 (85% Gray / 34 rgb). So, converting the original 8bit grayscale to Index Color Table might be rounding the color off (or using some default grayscale table) to the closest Gray/Hex values it can. Just like converting to a gif (which also is 256 Index/CLUT)
Last edited by cmyk on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:44 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:[snip]

"A Paradox May Be Paradoctored..."
<snip>

"...by a pair of docs."

(with apologies to one of my most favorite authors)

htom

Postby htom » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:56 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
htom wrote:
KarMann wrote:

Spoiler:

In further reply, this might be too obvious, or not, but did you try looking at the screen from different angles? That kind of banding sometimes shows up on LCDs when viewed at different angles, even just the different angles of the top & bottom of the screen.

That is indeed most of the change, helped by the organic processor picking up a very faint edge in the illumination field and enhancing the contrast.

AK49BWL

Postby AK49BWL » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:00 am UTC

TOO LONGGGGG>>>

The lack of a BlitzGirl update in quite some Time worries me...

Holy crap I broke my record again, only 6 seconds this time :shock:

Looks like we're up to 40 now (0x28)... Assuming I'm doing this right.
Last edited by AK49BWL on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Follower of the One True Comic

vvn

Postby vvn » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:03 am UTC

I get #282828

Add: Just for giggles, I tried it in the Epiphany browser, and it appears to match Chrome.

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:08 am UTC

vvn wrote:I get #282828

in Grayscale/8bit (gamma 1.0), I'm getting #232323, 84% Gray.

I get #282828 if I then covert it to a grayscale Index Color Table.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

vvn

Postby vvn » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:11 am UTC

cmyk wrote:

I simply save the image, open it in GIMP and color pick. I wouldn't think any of these steps would introduce a color change, but your knowledge is probably better than mine.

htom

Postby htom » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:15 am UTC

vvn wrote:
cmyk wrote:

I simply save the image, open it in GIMP and color pick. I wouldn't think any of these steps would introduce a color change, but your knowledge is probably better than mine.

There was at one time a problem where browsers did not always correctly save the color space that the image was provided in, merely overwriting or deleting that metadata. I would hope by now all of them had fixed that, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

And I go and coma again.

AK49BWL

Postby AK49BWL » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:19 am UTC

Just for the heck of it, I took screenshots of the PNG in both the Android stock browser and Dolphin.. Both appear to show 0x28.
Follower of the One True Comic

patzer

Postby patzer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:20 am UTC

currently 110, 110, 110 in Chrome. A huge difference.

edit: yay I'm pope
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

vvn

Postby vvn » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:22 am UTC

htom wrote:There was at one time a problem where browsers did not always correctly save the color space that the image was provided in, merely overwriting or deleting that metadata. I would hope by now all of them had fixed that, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Interesting. Well, I pulled it straight off xkcd with curl, and looked again with gimp. Same answer #282828. (40 in base 10.) At least that pulls the browser out of the equation. But, no answers.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:28 am UTC

vvn wrote:
cmyk wrote:

I stand by my opinion that for this particular purpose, the histogram is the best tool for the job. It clearly shows the gap where there aren't any pixels of those values, and it's explicitly scaled from 0-255 so you know that it's actually using that scale 1:1 (especially when you look at an image that had all those intermediate values represented, just for comparison).

Added: Also of note, we're now in the range where the two intermediate value pixels in each corner are throwing things off a bit; their value is #212121, and they apparently aren't lightening with the rest of the pic, either, so they fall into that no-man's-land in the histogram.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:59 am UTC

SBN wrote:
Goggalor wrote:

I need three1 more posts to break into the top 100 (and tie with BlitzGirl who is currently listed at 99)
1Well I guess two now.

Homework for the graphers out there, we need a graph with the posters represented as a line from their first post, to their latest, with the thickness representing the number of posts.

The thicker you are, the more you post?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”