1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AK49BWL

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AK49BWL » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:00 am UTC

NEWPIXONGGGGGG....

0x2B :shock:
Follower of the One True Comic

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:01 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
vvn wrote:
cmyk wrote:
vvn wrote:I get #282828

in Grayscale/8bit (gamma 1.0), I'm getting #232323, 84% Gray.

I get #282828 if I then covert it to a grayscale Index Color Table.

I simply save the image, open it in GIMP and color pick. I wouldn't think any of these steps would introduce a color change, but your knowledge is probably better than mine.

I stand by my opinion that for this particular purpose, the histogram is the best tool for the job. It clearly shows the gap where there aren't any pixels of those values, and it's explicitly scaled from 0-255 so you know that it's actually using that scale 1:1 (especially when you look at an image that had all those intermediate values represented, just for comparison).

I've tried a couple of other linux tools and they give the same values as GIMP. It may be that they all use libpng which may handle the files a bit differently than whatever photoshop uses.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:09 am UTC

solobutterfly wrote:Comics like this make me feel like I'm living a part of history. It's been updating for over a month. If people aren't studying and discussing and loving the brilliance and heart of xkcd 50 years from, then I will be sorely disappointed with humanity and art appreciation.

Comics like this? Comics like this?? Have you been out in the sun too long?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:10 am UTC

Can I just mention .... now that the Fade is observable to the naked eye on on all platforms, viewers and such .... uh, well .... oh nevermind. Carry On.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:10 am UTC

Well, it turns out I'm not quite as lazy as I thought. I've added a Hats by buffygirl page to the Time wiki.

If you have a hat by buffygirl, please add your before-and-hatted images to the table. Or paste your before-avatar in here, and I'll copy it over to the wiki. (Just put "before avatar" in your post so I can find it; I'm not as thorough as BlitzGirl.)

If you've been foolish enough to provide your own hat, there's a Table of Shame1 for that, too.

P.S. 97th post - largest prime below 102.

2. Ceci n'est pas une footnote.

1. Edited to Add: I am a graceless swine who utterly neglected to consider that a number of users had hats of elegance and grace in (or as) their avatars long before the dawn of Time. My apologies specifically to KarMann, who deserves better. "Table of Shame," indeed [hangs head].
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:27 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:12 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:ETA:
* buffygirl, I don't know if VeloCityGirl is in your hat mob or not, but I can't help thinking her present avatar looks more like a hat in need of a character than a character in need of a hat...

noted

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:19 am UTC

Goggalor wrote:I've decided that this fading business is extremely relaxing. I know everyone is running around predicting when the end will come, but I find watching the scene slowly disappear very calming. Am I the only one?

Perhaps, if you find the end of the world to be a relaxing experience.

Of course, if you're enjoying it at one of the finest diners in the universe, I can hardly object. It is quite a sight to see over a wonderful dinner with champagne.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:26 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
SBN wrote:
Goggalor wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Added -- list of all posters to the One True Thread
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits

I need three1 more posts to break into the top 100 (and tie with BlitzGirl who is currently listed at 99)
1Well I guess two now.

Homework for the graphers out there, we need a graph with the posters represented as a line from their first post, to their latest, with the thickness representing the number of posts.

The thicker you are, the more you post?

don't give up the game until your heart stops beating....

jjjdavidson wrote:Well, it turns out I'm not quite as lazy as I thought. I've added a Hats by buffygirl page to the Time wiki.

If you have a hat by buffygirl, please add your before-and-hatted images to the table. Or paste your before-avatar in here, and I'll copy it over to the wiki. (Just put "before avatar" in your post so I can find it; I'm not as thorough as BlitzGirl.)

If you've been foolish enough to provide your own hat, there's a Table of Shame for that, too.

I ... I ..... awww, thankyou!

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:29 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
buffygirl wrote:NOTICE:
Now taking applications for milliner's apprentice. No experience required. Must be willing to be bossed around mercilessly. Apply within.

Hmm, I'm afraid to ask.

Where?

Hey, be good; she's married.

That's not the only problem. Take a look at what she's holding.1 And she looks angry.

1: Here's Johnny!

:roll: :roll: I hatepie you allcake!!!
pieno I don't! I'm just totally stuck on my last three hat-mob hats..... and .... and ... I will reject any suggestions given, whether by apprentice or other .... I am sooooo screwed!

cake y'all

Ooh ooh ohh - Could I try to be your apprentice? On the plus side, I love feathers, but on the minus side, I am slow. Getting bossed around is fine when the cake is good enough and I am hungry.

Also, bumping the map:
RobIrr wrote:
Nope.

A day in the Outside has left me around five pages behind... but if anybody is interested, this is now updating with viewer locations-
Looks like you in our former colonies outnumber the rest of the world combined!

Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

vvn

Re: 1190: "Time" before avatar

Postby vvn » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:41 am UTC

Before avatar
The Flying Dutchman Avatar.jpg
The Flying Dutchman Avatar.jpg (25.24 KiB) Viewed 7334 times

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:42 am UTC

Nice job. 400 single post newbies. Will any return for the End?

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:44 am UTC

azule wrote:

Nice job. 400 single post newbies. Will any return for the End?

Some predict that at the end of Time, all loyal TimeWaiters will be gathered together in eternal rejoicing and Waiting, and all who ever Waited shall be reunited as one people on the New Forum.

Of course, those are the same people who hold that the One True Comic was created in a mere 7 days, so I'm not sure we can trust their prophecy.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:46 am UTC

ggh wrote:
Now taking applications for milliner's apprentice. No experience required. Must be willing to be bossed around mercilessly. Apply within.

Ooh ooh ohh - Could I try to be your apprentice? On the plus side, I love feathers, but on the minus side, I am slow. Getting bossed around is fine when the cake is good enough and I am hungry.

Slow?
Take a look around, son. There is no Time to be slow.

(EDIT: stopped quote madness)

Also, my avatars:
Attachments
file.jpg
Post-hatification avatar
file.jpg (5.44 KiB) Viewed 7331 times
Dragon.png
Pre-hatification avatar
Last edited by AluisioASG on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:52 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:47 am UTC

ggh wrote:Ooh ooh ohh - Could I try to be your apprentice? On the plus side, I love feathers, but on the minus side, I am slow. Getting bossed around is fine when the cake is good enough and I am hungry.

sure. Check your PM.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:49 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Well, it turns out I'm not quite as lazy as I thought. I've added a Hats by buffygirl page to the Time wiki.

If you've been foolish enough to provide your own hat, there's a Table of Shame for that, too.

What about my hat, with its pre-existing Time itself status? Definitely not a buffygirl hat, but I'm not sure it deserves a seat at the Table of Shame, either.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:54 am UTC

KarMann wrote:

What about my hat, with its pre-existing Time itself status? Definitely not a buffygirl hat, but I'm not sure it deserves a seat at the Table of Shame, either.

You are not at the Table of Shame.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:59 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:

You are not at the Table of Shame.

uhh, yes he is.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.

AK49BWL

Postby AK49BWL » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:00 am UTC

SHOWONGGGGG....

0x2E. We're definitely accelerating.
Follower of the One True Comic

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:05 am UTC

Aaaand now, the end is near;
And so I face the final curtain1.
My friends, I'll say it clear,
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain.

I've lived a life that's full2.
I've traveled each and ev'ry highway3;
But more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

1: which is white
2: of sandcastles
3: and river

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:09 am UTC

Current colour change trend. Going up in steps of 3 now for the last few newpix.
Attachments
colour change4.png

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:11 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Current colour change trend. Going up in steps of 3 now for the last few newpix.

I don't get it. 100 frames of nothing except slight color changes? That's more than a tenth of the comic. This has to be the lead up to some hilarious joke.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:14 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Current colour change trend. Going up in steps of 3 now for the last few newpix.

I don't get it. 100 frames of nothing except slight color changes? That's more than a tenth of the comic. This has to be the lead up to some hilarious joke.

Not quite. The sea¹ is still rising, and that chunk came off of the tower and splashed down. But still, yeah.

1: big
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:16 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

I actually like the change of pace. All I wish for is that Time doesn't end after this.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:19 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

If it's not side splitting we'll ask for our money back.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:28 am UTC

My independent estimate for total scene fade-to-white (projecting an exponential curve which seems to fit the data), is ~NewPix #963. Give or take, because charts and graphs are definitely NOT my forté!

EDIT: Seems to corroborate with Latent22's findings too... I'll take that as a good sign since he knows much better what he's doing.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:41 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
ggh wrote:

Slow?
Take a look around, son. There is no Time to be slow.

But alas, slow I am. And highly inexperienced to boot. (A son, however, I am not.)
For example, Buffygirl told me to check my pm. I've never used it before. Now I'm looking, and not finding anything. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Attachments
Picture 26.png
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:55 am UTC

Maybe she didn't send it, or sent to wrong person. Looks like you're in the right place.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:56 am UTC

I'm still going with the assumption that this is more or less a transition, and not the fade-out to the actual end:

1) The fade, or dissolve, indicates a lengthy passage of time while our protagonists are away, exploring.

2) When the dissolve is complete, the scene will fade back as M&C will return to their sand castles much eroded or something of the sort.

3) Despite the fade out accelerating, time is still passing linearly, albeit at a faster rate than we've previously witnessed. That is, the fade is an "ease-in" effect.

This is a common editing choice, and also saves Randall from having to draw and animate the entire erosion process (and us Outside-weeks until M&C return).

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

Random Element

Postby Random Element » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:58 am UTC

I tried to post but, it auto-classified the post as spam and wouldn't let it though. Tried quoting a post about newbies reposting but the quotation got this post marked as spam until i removed the quotes

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:01 am UTC

CHEECH & CHONG!

8-bit grayscale = #2d2d2d (K: 81%)
Index Color = #313131 (K: 79%)
Last edited by cmyk on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:08 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:01 am UTC

<snip>
Ninja'd
EDIT: corrected the color value.
Last edited by tman2nd on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:08 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

patzer

Postby patzer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:03 am UTC

Random Element wrote:I tried to post but, it auto-classified the post as spam and wouldn't let it though. Tried quoting a post about newbies reposting but the quotation got this post marked as spam until i removed the quotes

might be because there was a url in it?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:05 am UTC

I don't know if my current avatar is my 'before', because buffygirl in her milliner-wisdom may choose a different image to appropriately hat River (who verily is small). We shall when we see after we Wait for It. :D

cmyk, thanks for the hope your explanations of the fading provide.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:07 am UTC

The nub/seawall has now completely disappeared.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:11 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:The nub/seawall has now completely disappeared.

The sea is doing whatever it wants.

I don't particularly like the sea. :?

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:26 am UTC

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but this song is fitting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww9JS8dJ9fY

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:06 am UTC

I DON'T HAVE A DONGgggg....
1d5385bb701c5b238b28da3bc5cbf5d6eca9b388316d92ce17cd7d2d8859a259.png
1d5385bb701c5b238b28da3bc5cbf5d6eca9b388316d92ce17cd7d2d8859a259.png (10.91 KiB) Viewed 7348 times

EDIT: I think I'm supposed to have the whole URL for this, but I don't know how to get that. Does it help to post it here? http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/1d5385bb701c5b238b28da3bc5cbf5d6eca9b388316d92ce17cd7d2d8859a259.png

Also, I may or may not be pope.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:17 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but this song is fitting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww9JS8dJ9fY

Every song is fitting, for Time shapes every song to fit.

Also, what's with the 2 microphones in that video?

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:19 am UTC

Fading at #353535.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

GerardE

Postby GerardE » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:20 am UTC

I wonder if the toolbox they left contains a self inflating life-raft, saving the topmost castle while drifting into the white sunset.
Wait for IT. Business always complaining.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”