1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Caswallon

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Caswallon » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:20 am UTC

Just back from a long sojourn in the outside and it is suddenly so very much Gray!

Enjoying watching the analysis :)
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:28 am UTC

Caswallon wrote:Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

What's a "Chruch"? :D
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:34 am UTC

I keep trying to get caught up, but even though posting has slowed down, it's still tough. Here's some wall text.

mikrit wrote:Tee hee hee. http://xkcd.com/326/

Has anyone done a tally of all the other xkcd comics that have been referred to in this thread?

Angelastic wrote:And now, a prediction/dramatisation, possibly an actual spoiler if anyone hasn't seen The Neverending Story.
Spoiler:
Megan: Are you the Great Randall?
Randall: Yes, I am,
Megan: Then you must know what can save Time!
Randall: The Child-like Beret-Wearer needs a new name.
Megan: A new name. Is that all? But that's easy! I can give her any name she wants.
Randall: No one from Time can do it, only a human child.
Megan: A human child? Where can I find one?
Randall: They can only be reached beyond the boundaries of Time. You must hurry Megan. We do not know how much longer we can withstand the Fading.

Megan: I have failed you, Beret-Wearer.
Childlike Beret-Wearer: No, you haven't. You've brought her with you.
Megan: Who?
Childlike Beret-Wearer: The Earthling child. The one who can save us all.
Megan: You knew about the Earthling child?!
Childlike Beret-Wearer: Of course. I knew everything.
Megan: My castle was destroyed, I nearly got hit on the head with a bukkit, and I just barely got away from the Fading. For what?! To find out what you already knew?!
Childlike Beret-Wearer: It was the only way to get in touch with an Earthling.
Megan: But I didn't get in touch with an Earthling!
Childlike Beret-Wearer: Yes, you did.
Childlike Beret-Wearer: She has suffered with you. She went through everything you went through. And now, she has come here with you. She's very close. Listening to every word that we say.

BlitzGirl: What is that?
The Childlike Beret-Wearer: One grain of sand. It is all that remains of my vast empire.
BlitzGirl: Time has totally disappeared?
The Childlike Beret-Wearer: Yes.
BlitzGirl: Then, everything's been in vain.
The Childlike Beret-Wearer: No, it hasn't. Time can arise anew, from your dreams and wishes, BlitzGirl.

Nice! Though that's an awful lot of pressure to put on poor Blitzgirl, especially since we haven't seen her lately...

I'm glad to see that Angelastic is selling snacks. I thought she was a cigarette girl. Snacks are much better.

And I like that my sentence introducing my haiku for Buffygirl was in itself a haiku:

Angelastic wrote:Here are the new haiku since last time. <snip>

I thought someone should
give you something, so I wrote
a haiku for you:

Buffygirl, I'm happy to be a hat-apprentice if you still need one.

cellocgw wrote:What say we keep this thread going beyond the end either of newpix-time or outside time? 1190 Forever!

Yes!! 1190 Forever!

And now to coma.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:46 am UTC

Thank you O Arch-Cardinal buffygirl, I shal wear my new hat untill the heat death of the universeÞ

Þ Unless I forget of course.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:51 am UTC

Last edited by Sciscitor on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!

CatHectic

Postby CatHectic » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:57 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but this song is fitting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww9JS8dJ9fY

Yes, I like! (Sadly, Peter Gabriel's one of those artists who won't let his work be streamed over Spotify etc.)

I've been following the thread with interest as the fading and the gloom accelerates, and in the background continuing to work on my little playlist project, documented on the wiki. An update:

So far I have 137 tracks on the xkcd Time Travel Mix on Spotify. I've collected 118 musical suggestions up through Newpage 193; minus dupes and unavailable tracks, those suggestions have resulted in 73 individual tracks on the playlist. (The other 64 tracks are suggestions from post-Newpage 400 in the thread and not yet attributed on the wiki page, or from my own encounters with temporal songs in my searches along the way. Those are listed after the Quartet for the End of Time tracks which make a nice visual marker for me.)

Are any of you listening? (The Spotify service is free if you can live with ads every three or four songs; if there's any interest I'll see about putting a Youtube playlist together too, once I'm further along.) Feedback would be welcome:

* ​I've used my intuition to select the most Timely representative song for the mix when a contributor has suggested only an album or artist. Please suggest (on the wiki page) if you have better ideas!
* Similarly, on the Spotify playlist I've substituted covers or tribute perfomances for pieces that aren't available for streaming -- suggestions for different or additional substitutes are welcome.
* I've included multiple versions of some songs, when I thought they each had something going for them. Opinions on this choice? Fun or annoying?
* I've used my musical licence (right here in my wallet!) to add a few songs for post references that might or might not have been intended to allude to a musical piece. 8-)

A few newer additions that have seemed very fitting for the (possible) End of Time:

* Time is Running Out by Muse
* Closing Time by Semisonic
* Time and Time Again by Counting Crows
* Still Doin' Time by the late George Jones

(also, Michael Buble's fun enough but isn't usually my preferred cup of tea, but damn if the song BlitzGirl used as inspiration ("Haven't Met You Yet") hasn't taken up residence in my brain....help!)

edited to add youtube links
Last edited by CatHectic on Thu May 02, 2013 10:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Your Larghissimographer, collector of the xkcd Time Travel Mix

Keep going, BlitzGirl the Next (that's you, Vytron! And you too, edo!): remember, tempo rubato, tempo di fulmineo! Please keep sending us news of your progress, with all your blitz class and blitz style...

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:59 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Has anyone done a tally of all the other xkcd comics that have been referred to in this thread?

I dont think so, but here you are (up to post 16440):
Spoiler:
xkcd.com/1/
xkcd.com/7/
xkcd.com/13/
xkcd.com/16/
xkcd.com/37/
xkcd.com/40/
xkcd.com/108/
xkcd.com/145/
xkcd.com/159/
xkcd.com/170/
xkcd.com/203/
xkcd.com/215/
xkcd.com/244/
xkcd.com/249/
xkcd.com/286/
xkcd.com/303/
xkcd.com/326/
xkcd.com/375/
xkcd.com/414/
xkcd.com/420/
xkcd.com/441/
xkcd.com/463/
xkcd.com/478/
xkcd.com/501/
xkcd.com/505/
xkcd.com/507/
xkcd.com/524/
xkcd.com/525/
xkcd.com/530/
xkcd.com/550/
xkcd.com/577/
xkcd.com/583/
xkcd.com/631/
xkcd.com/674/
xkcd.com/688/
xkcd.com/851/
xkcd.com/878/
xkcd.com/880/
xkcd.com/883/
xkcd.com/915/
xkcd.com/927/
xkcd.com/939/
xkcd.com/994/
xkcd.com/1000/
xkcd.com/1059/
xkcd.com/1089/
xkcd.com/1095/
xkcd.com/1102/
xkcd.com/1116/
xkcd.com/1141/
xkcd.com/1177/
xkcd.com/1180/
xkcd.com/1190/
xkcd.com/1193/
xkcd.com/1195/
xkcd.com/1197/
xkcd.com/1202/

Hasn't the Past been mentioned?
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:01 am UTC

DONG
Last edited by tman2nd on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:11 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:02 am UTC

RGB(57,57,57)
HEX #393939
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:05 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:Hasn't the Past been mentioned?

Mhm.. I just did a really quick and dirty

Code: Select all

grep "xkcd\.com/[0-9]*" -o needle_pulled_thing.txt | sort -t '/' -k 2 -n | uniq | xsel
so it is entirely possible something my have slipped through.

Edited for correct (and less dirty) code.
Last edited by Sciscitor on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 am UTC

Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:10 am UTC

Here are some graphs.
Classic one:
Spoiler:
Prediction: 964
xkcd-time-prediction4.png

Non-mathematical-prediction-graph:
Spoiler:
Still somewhere around 1024
xkcd-time-prediction5.png
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

decet

Postby decet » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:11 am UTC

Hello, everybody.
I've been following this thread in a "keyhole-peeping" way since shortly after the beginning of "Time". I am impressed by the depth of perception and the multitude of discoveries about this particular comic.

Hovever.

I do not think that the term "comic" is appropriate for "Time". I have a horrible, sinking feeling that it is an epitaph, and it is the most heartbreaking one I've ever seen. All the incredible details and tricks Randall put into this one are a work of love, and I feel deep pain.

I do so hope I'm wrong.

Oh shit.

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:34 am UTC

I haven't contributed much I guess, but I have been thinking about a possible explanation for the gray.
Maybe we are just observing a passage of misty hazes, all alike. OK, we are feeling fogged now, but it will (be) clear. After all, we still just have to wait for it...

And a philosophical question: if nothing changes, does time pass? (Universally, I mean.)

/Lasse
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:36 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
tman2nd wrote:Hasn't the Past been mentioned?

Mhm.. I just did a really quick and dirty

Code: Select all

grep "xkcd\.com/[0-9]*" -o needle_pulled_thing.txt | sort -t '/' -k 2 -n | uniq | xsel
so it is entirely possible something my have slipped through.

Edited for correct (and less dirty) code.

Odd, I know my regular expressions, and I know I've linked to the Time Vulture one (#926) a couple of times, but it's not in the list, and I can't see why from that. Are you parsing element attributes, or only text?

Added:
lassehp wrote:And a philosophical question: if nothing changes, does time pass? (Universally, I mean.)

Yes, but only if you grade on a curve.
Last edited by KarMann on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

squonk

Postby squonk » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:40 am UTC

It's the end of the world as we know it. And I feel fine...

GerardE

Postby GerardE » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:55 am UTC

lassehp wrote:
And a philosophical question: if nothing changes, does time pass? (Universally, I mean.)

/Lasse

For people with some extra time on their hands: [cite] What if one day things everywhere ground to a halt? What if birds froze in mid-flight, people froze in mid-sentence, and planets and subatomic particles alike froze in mid-orbit? What if all change, throughout the entire universe, completely ceased for a period of, say, one year? Is such a thing possible?

If the answer to this last question is Yes — if it is possible for there to be a period of time during which nothing changes, anywhere (except, perhaps, for the pure passage of time itself, if there is such a thing) — then it is possible that a worldwide “freeze” will occur between the time you finish reading this sentence and the time you start the next sentence. In fact, if it's possible for there to be a period of time without change, then it may well be that a million years have passed since you finished reading the last sentence.[/cite]
Quoted from http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/time/, 2nd paragraph.
Enjoy!
Wait for IT. Business always complaining.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:58 am UTC

Like water through the small River, so fade the newpix of Time.
I don't want It to go.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:04 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Has anyone done a tally of all the other xkcd comics that have been referred to in this thread?

Spoiler:

Cool, thanks! Gosh, everyone on this thread is so helpful with making graphs and charts and finding data.

CatHectic, thanks for the playlist! Just tried installing Spotify but it keeps crashing. I'll try again later, but I notice on the list that 4:33 has a running time of 4:38. :)

I've been rehearsing Britten's War Requiem all week, the mood of which fits pretty well with the mood on this thread lately. I'm playing timpani, and I have a lot of tuning changes in the piece. When this happens, I write a note at the top of the page showing which drum is tuned to whcih note, so I can keep track. At rehearsal last night, I realized I miss one, and started writing the pitches at the top of the page--F, A, D and E. Then I realized I had written FADE. It's like I'm being haunted by Time. It kinda freaked me out.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:06 am UTC

lassehp wrote:Maybe we are just observing a passage of misty hazes, all alike. OK, we are feeling fogged now, but it will (be) clear. After all, we still just have to wait for it...

A hollow voice says "0x3dONG".

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:10 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:If you have a hat by buffygirl, please add your before-and-hatted images to the table. Or paste your before-avatar in here, and I'll copy it over to the wiki. (Just put "before avatar" in your post so I can find it; I'm not as thorough as BlitzGirl.)

Can't find my Wikia password, and the forgot link won't email me a new one, so I can't upload pics. So mine is here:

Before avatar
avatar.png (28.63 KiB) Viewed 10277 times

In case anybody is interested, it's from a 1983 Micronet1 brochure available here

1Pre-web viewdata service; everything the internet is today, but in ultra-low resolution primary colours..
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:12 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:

Spoiler:

Cool, thanks! Gosh, everyone on this thread is so helpful with making graphs and charts and finding data.

CatHectic, thanks for the playlist! Just tried installing Spotify but it keeps crashing. I'll try again later, but I notice on the list that 4:33 has a running time of 4:38. :)

I've been rehearsing Britten's War Requiem all week, the mood of which fits pretty well with the mood on this thread lately. I'm playing timpani, and I have a lot of tuning changes in the piece. When this happens, I write a note at the top of the page showing which drum is tuned to whcih note, so I can keep track. At rehearsal last night, I realized I miss one, and started writing the pitches at the top of the page--F, A, D and E. Then I realized I had written FADE. It's like I'm being haunted by Time. It kinda freaked me out.

I almost asked if you were at the Sydney Con, cause we're doing the War Requiem (or at least, the orchestra, chamber orchestra and choir are, I'm in a different ensemble) this semester, but of course I then realised that they clearly wouldn't have been rehearsing on a Saturday night (as the time is here). A pretty large-scale a work, I hear, I'm looking forward to the performance.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:15 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Well, it turns out I'm not quite as lazy as I thought. I've added a Hats by buffygirl page to the Time wiki.

If you have a hat by buffygirl, please add your before-and-hatted images to the table. Or paste your before-avatar in here, and I'll copy it over to the wiki. (Just put "before avatar" in your post so I can find it; I'm not as thorough as BlitzGirl.)

If you've been foolish enough to provide your own hat, there's a Table of Shame for that, too.

P.S. 97th post - largest prime below 102.

2. Ceci n'est pas une footnote.

I'm not sure how to add a row to the table to insert my avatar. Any help?

And now I really really really am going to coma.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:17 am UTC

spamjam wrote:
lassehp wrote:Maybe we are just observing a passage of misty hazes, all alike. OK, we are feeling fogged now, but it will (be) clear. After all, we still just have to wait for it...

A hollow voice says "0x3dONG".

All those /.*ONG/s remind me of the frequent gongs of the TARDIS cloister bell yesterday...guess I am still a whovian at heart.

/Lasse
looking for a big, friendly button...
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:19 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Odd, I know my regular expressions, and I know I've linked to the Time Vulture one (#926) a couple of times, but it's not in the list, and I can't see why from that. Are you parsing element attributes, or only text?

You are right, I did parse the text only, now with full HTML:
Spoiler:
xkcd.com/1
xkcd.com/3
xkcd.com/4
xkcd.com/5
xkcd.com/7
xkcd.com/9
xkcd.com/10
xkcd.com/12
xkcd.com/13
xkcd.com/16
xkcd.com/22
xkcd.com/28
xkcd.com/34
xkcd.com/35
xkcd.com/36
xkcd.com/37
xkcd.com/39
xkcd.com/40
xkcd.com/41
xkcd.com/42
xkcd.com/89
xkcd.com/108
xkcd.com/123
xkcd.com/135
xkcd.com/145
xkcd.com/159
xkcd.com/162
xkcd.com/170
xkcd.com/203
xkcd.com/215
xkcd.com/220
xkcd.com/244
xkcd.com/249
xkcd.com/258
xkcd.com/267
xkcd.com/286
xkcd.com/303
xkcd.com/305
xkcd.com/314
xkcd.com/316
xkcd.com/322
xkcd.com/326
xkcd.com/327
xkcd.com/356
xkcd.com/361
xkcd.com/375
xkcd.com/376
xkcd.com/386
xkcd.com/395
xkcd.com/396
xkcd.com/404
xkcd.com/405
xkcd.com/414
xkcd.com/420
xkcd.com/426
xkcd.com/427
xkcd.com/441
xkcd.com/463
xkcd.com/478
xkcd.com/483
xkcd.com/499
xkcd.com/501
xkcd.com/505
xkcd.com/507
xkcd.com/521
xkcd.com/524
xkcd.com/525
xkcd.com/530
xkcd.com/550
xkcd.com/556
xkcd.com/566
xkcd.com/577
xkcd.com/583
xkcd.com/592
xkcd.com/605
xkcd.com/609
xkcd.com/618
xkcd.com/631
xkcd.com/674
xkcd.com/687
xkcd.com/688
xkcd.com/742
xkcd.com/748
xkcd.com/799
xkcd.com/833
xkcd.com/851
xkcd.com/859
xkcd.com/878
xkcd.com/880
xkcd.com/881
xkcd.com/883
xkcd.com/903
xkcd.com/915
xkcd.com/926
xkcd.com/927
xkcd.com/931
xkcd.com/939
xkcd.com/946
xkcd.com/994
xkcd.com/1000
xkcd.com/1005
xkcd.com/1007
xkcd.com/1013
xkcd.com/1017
xkcd.com/1027
xkcd.com/1032
xkcd.com/1033
xkcd.com/1046
xkcd.com/1048
xkcd.com/1050
xkcd.com/1059
xkcd.com/1070
xkcd.com/1089
xkcd.com/1095
xkcd.com/1102
xkcd.com/1110
xkcd.com/1116
xkcd.com/1137
xkcd.com/1141
xkcd.com/1153
xkcd.com/1156
xkcd.com/1159
xkcd.com/1162
xkcd.com/1167
xkcd.com/1172
xkcd.com/1177
xkcd.com/1180
xkcd.com/1181
xkcd.com/1185
xkcd.com/1186
xkcd.com/1190
xkcd.com/1191
xkcd.com/1193
xkcd.com/1195
xkcd.com/1197
xkcd.com/1198
xkcd.com/1199
xkcd.com/1200
xkcd.com/1201
xkcd.com/1202
xkcd.com/1203

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:34 am UTC

vvn wrote:I get #282828
Add: Just for giggles, I tried it in the Epiphany browser, and it appears to match Chrome.

Well, if we're being complete, I also tested lynx (#ffff00) and elinks (#000000). Of course, in both, the beach is pretty unrecognizable, it just looks like the letters ‘T’, ‘i’, ‘m’ and ‘e’. :P

Edit: screenshot. (Click for full resolution.)
time_lynx_elinks.png
Last edited by mscha on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:44 am UTC

mscha wrote:
vvn wrote:I get #282828
Add: Just for giggles, I tried it in the Epiphany browser, and it appears to match Chrome.

Well, if we're being complete, I also tested lynx (#ffff00) and elinks (#000000). Of course, in both, the beach is pretty unrecognizable, it just looks like the letters ‘T’, ‘i’, ‘m’ and ‘e’. :P

Odd, I get #B26818 in lynx. When the link's not selected.

But what actually surprised me more was that when I selected the image link, it actually popped up a window with the faded image in it. It seems to be using a part of ImageMagick I wasn't aware of, called simply `display`. I know lynx didn't used to do that; I wonder when it got that feature?
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:54 am UTC

hello dwellers of Time!

i've been lurking about since ca newpix 150, and have read all the newpages before and followed since. i've not been posting yet as i'm usually reading this on my phone and posting is a hassle, and i meant to wait until i was at a computer (with Time to post, i usually only use the computer for work), but decided to post now from my phone anyways since our Time seems to be fading away, and i wanted to actively join in before the great white (sea, which is big and can do what it wants) swallows it all.

also, i've pondered for a while if the number of flags has any significance, since they've been added continuously throughout Time, the number always increasing, and the last was added just before the sad "bye". there are 16 of them now (for how long? and will anyone (la petite?) show up in Time to save the one on the right before it is swallowed by the sea (which is big)?). does the number of towers have a significance? any ideas?

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:00 am UTC

A hollow voice says “PLONG”.

Jumped 5, from #3d3d3d. to #424242. (42!)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:07 am UTC

mscha wrote:Jumped 5, from #3d3d3d. to #424242. (42!)

Yup. And in decimal it is RGB(66,66,66). 666 666. Insane.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:12 am UTC

Sea level update.
Change since Megan left, 61 newpix ago:
Time_sea_level_rise_20130428_1100.png
Time_sea_level_rise_20130428_1100.png (3.98 KiB) Viewed 10169 times

Note that the sea isn't yet at the original level of sea wall 2.0; it crumbled away before that.
The grey “unchanged” area now has a visibly reddish tint, that's because of the fading, which partially “takes away” the pixels.

Compared to the scene just after the trebuchet pan, almost an Outside month ago:
diff_xkcd_time_20130428_1100.png

Much of the original castle is now under water.

Edit: Interestingly, away from the sea, not a single bit of tower has fallen off. In the beginning of Time, that happened pretty much constantly.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:27 am UTC

Suggestions for things to do with our lives now that the OTC is fading away:

1. Obsessively follow the number and location of new human cases of H7N9 flu day by day, and the number of deaths? http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/h7n9-ad ... mation.htm

2. Watch the baby hawks being fed and eventually fledged at the athletic field of Cornell U? http://cams.allaboutbirds.org/channel/1 ... led_Hawks/

3. Watch the thermometer rise (exceedingly slowly) on the Friday Fast to Feed the Hungry page for Partners in Health? http://act.pih.org/page/outreach/view/personal/Tatiana

Anyone have any more ideas?
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

descor

Postby descor » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:38 am UTC

Tatiana wrote:Suggestions for things to do with our lives now that the OTC is fading away:
<snip>
Anyone have any more ideas?

I'll be damned if I'm going to stop posting here just because there's no Time. I'm a Timewaiter. I'll wait for Time to begin again in the next universe if I have to ...
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:50 am UTC

Simply curious, as to most of the proposed metaphors, mostly it's the usual philosophical/cosmological references, like relating the sea and tide to the inevitability of nature or entropy reclaiming our local order. Rivers flow, the catalyst for change, if not change itself. Time is like sand, hourglasses, ephemeral, temporary, and so forth.

However, this being xkcd, perhaps were thinking too philosophical, or metaphysical. I guess what im getting at is, If this is a metaphor (and I can't imagine there not being some deeper layer to all this, after such a build-up), is there anything in computer science, programming languages, software development, Moore's law, etc. that might fit better? Which is to say, interpreting this as less cosmic and more esoteric symbolism. IOW, something along Randall's more specialized lines of expertise where these ostensibly cryptic allusions might add up?

Probably not, but maybe worth some thought.
Last edited by cmyk on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:53 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:51 am UTC

I followed the comic and this thread for a while, then grew bored. Ultimately I think I made the right decision, as the comic has slowly changed less and less, while the thread has not exceeded its early heights of madness/awesome. But I check some days, and wethoughtthiswouldendatAprilFools, and today I caught up a little on what had been happening: almost nothing. But.
She's saying goodbye. She's saying goodbye, not to a person, but to the castle. She's saying goodbye to the thing she built from sand/snow/ground coffee/cancerbabies, raised from the plane of sand/snow/ground coffee/cancerbabies into the sky, protected from the Sea when it began to rise... she's saying goodbye. I don't think she's coming back. Mock me as an apocalyptist or a Loopist, but I don't think she's coming back. That tiny bye, the bag on her back, the tilt of her head: it tells me that she isn't coming back. Not here. Not to this. Who knows. Maybe the two of them will build a mighty wall further up, a stalwart bulwark against the sea, but this castle? No. It is to be left to the sea. This is more tragic than any single darkening pixel. This:
:cry:
This is ending.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:53 am UTC

Time is fading away. Although Time Lord Randall is known for fooling all living on regular basis, my believe in a close-to-eternal Time faded as quickly as our newpix are fading now.

Some long time ago, I wished Time to end, just for the matter of Time's ending - no "need" to follow Time anymore, no waste of own precious time to follow the development. But it wasn't waste. A heckling rant last week pointed that out in emphasing on how much of a waste of time this comic, this forum needle-pulled-thing, is. It wasn't waste, and it still isn't. In sharing thoughts, in experiencing the (I still have to grin) longest strip-tease ever. In drifting off topic, touching issues of serious business, and coming back to speculations on which pixel would drop next, I experienced a remarkable community. We do not have much in common - For most, it's just watching the same comic evolve (maybe some share a little bit of nerdiness, as well). But for over a month, the comic did the trick. And I even learned a fistful of new things.

I have no mixed feelings. In fact, my feelings are unusally clear, but, as usual, I'm not the kind of guy who's good at telling about feelings. At the moment, this resembles pretty much of it.

I will wait for Time to end or our dear Blitzgirl to arrive in the needle-pulled-thing present, whatever will happen last.
But this is my good-bye, anyway. It will have been a good Time. Thank you, Randall. And thank you, all.

the loved close to heart
not meant to last eternal
all Time is precious
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:54 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Nice! Though that's an awful lot of pressure to put on poor Blitzgirl, especially since we haven't seen her lately...

True, but she does get to build the rest of Time in real life according to her wishes🕖. By the way, I have updated that post since the version you quoted, to add formatting and more context for people who don't necessarily know the original.

I wonder if this thread has brought together enough people that if we had a group hug we'd collapse into a moon for the mole-of-moles planet.

🕖As we all should.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:58 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:For macraw83

Awesome! I shall put it on immediately. Immediately for me, anyway, sorry for making you wait (for it) for 5 Newpages first.

Such a splendid hat. A birdplane? Brilliant! And it's being worn by a cat. A cat in a birdplane hat, wearing a jacket. At least I hope I'm seeing that right, otherwise I'll feel terrible...

Edit: am I really the PFAN from 5 Newpages in the past? if that's still going, then my one decree is to SLOW DOWN so I can catch up sooner :P
Last edited by macraw83 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:28 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:59 am UTC

Lucia wrote:She's saying goodbye. She's saying goodbye, not to a person, but to the castle. She's saying goodbye to the thing she built from sand/snow/ground coffee/cancerbabies, raised from the plane of sand/snow/ground coffee/cancerbabies into the sky, protected from the Sea when it began to rise... she's saying goodbye. I don't think she's coming back. Mock me as an apocalyptist or a Loopist, but I don't think she's coming back. That tiny bye, the bag on her back, the tilt of her head: it tells me that she isn't coming back. Not here. Not to this. Who knows. Maybe the two of them will build a mighty wall further up, a stalwart bulwark against the sea, but this castle? No. It is to be left to the sea. This is more tragic than any single darkening pixel. This:
:cry:
This is ending.

Oh God, this is so sad... I just want to say this. :cry:

But maybe, maybe it has more in common with that scene. Maybe it is not the end. Maybe it is regeneration.
Last edited by NoMouse on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

FROMTHESTORIESIEXPECTEDTHESEATOBEBIGANDITWASBUTIDIDNTEXPECTITTOTAKESOLONG

EDIT: Oops, jumped the gong and posted the old image. Fixed now.
Another edit: #464646 (that's 70) according to GraphicConverter.
Last edited by Angelastic on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”