1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cellocgw

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cellocgw » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

CatHectic wrote:
A few newer additions that have seemed very fitting for the (possible) End of Time:

* Time is Running Out by Muse
* Closing Time by Semisonic
* Time and Time Again by Counting Crows
* Still Doin' Time by the late George Jones

You left out The Doors "The End"
And The Chambers Brothers "Time Has Come Today"
-- thus once again revealing my age. Did I mention I hit college before the first Bowmar Brain came out?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

RGB(70,70,70)
HEX #464646
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Lyoug

Postby Lyoug » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

Once again comes a fellow lurker who registered just now. Hello everyone.
[not a native speaker, please ignore possible incoming grammatical oddities :) ]
I remember that I started Waiting when the very first tower was almost finished, just before its crenelation (Newpix 31, Book of Geekwagon). After waiting for a half minute or so and already liking this comic although nothing happened, I came right away to this needle-pulled-thingy to understand what was going on, only to be taken to a long and amazing journey that would lead me here, a Oustide-month later, on Newpage 433. (Although I'll admit to have skipped a few posts here and there, I've been following quite thoroughly since Newpage 250-ish.)

The main reason for my de-lurking is that while I was reading CatHectic's asking for suggestions, I remembered this song from Dream Theater called "Losing Time", and after reading its lyrics I couldn't help but post it here:

Spoiler:
Losing Time
She dresses in black everyday
She keeps her hair simple and plain
She never wears make-up
But no one would care if she did anyway

She doesn't recall yesterday
Faces seem twisted and strange
But she always wakes up
Only to find she'd been miles away

Absence of awareness losing time
A lapse of perception losing time

Wanting to escape
She had created a way to survive
She learned to detach
From herself a behavior that kept her alive

Hope in the face of our human distress
Helps us to understand
The turbulence deep inside
That takes hold of our lives

Shame and disgrace over mental unrest
Keeps us from saving those we love
The grace within our hearts
And the sorrow in our souls

Deception of fame, vengeance of war
Lives torn apart, losing oneself
Spiraling down, feeling the walls closing in
A journey to find the answers inside our illusive mind

I'd post a link to the song but I'll have to wait until 5 posts IIRC.

Anyway, I'd really like to thank you all for all the talking, the graphs, the religions, the science, the hats... it's been so much fun (and will be for many Newpixes to come I'm sure (I sure hope Time doesn't end with the fading)). I was going to try and write something more meaningful, but Lucia's and higgs-boson's posts just made up for that.

And last : I'm also worrying about BlitzGirl not giving news for so many Newpix, but let's suppose that she's just trying to Wait faster. Go BlitzGirl! *Cheer, cheer*

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
Spoiler:
jjjdavidson wrote:Well, it turns out I'm not quite as lazy as I thought. I've added a Hats by buffygirl page to the Time wiki.

If you have a hat by buffygirl, please add your before-and-hatted images to the table. Or paste your before-avatar in here, and I'll copy it over to the wiki. (Just put "before avatar" in your post so I can find it; I'm not as thorough as BlitzGirl.)

If you've been foolish enough to provide your own hat, there's a Table of Shame for that, too.

P.S. 97th post - largest prime below 102.

2. Ceci n'est pas une footnote.

What about my hat, with its pre-existing Time itself status? Definitely not a buffygirl hat, but I'm not sure it deserves a seat at the Table of Shame, either.

KarMann, please accept my most humble apologies. I wanted to create a sample line in the second table (which was never called the Table of Shame in the wiki, merely in my thoughtless announcement here). I selected your hat because you had a recent post, and completely failed to consider your hat's clearly acknowledged pre-Temporal status.

The wiki page has been updated to make it clear that buffygirl joyously accepts those users such as yourself whose hats predate her contributions. Again, I apologize. Mea culpa.

Edited for color
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

Still on track for around frame 962/963.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

I really hope this isn't the end...

In the Time that Time has been going, I've come to feel that I know, and am fond of, so many of you. I'm not a prolific poster (only #57 apparently) but I've stuck it out - I never really bothered much with these forums before, just nipping in if I didn't immediately 'get' a comic; this needle-pulled-thing has however become a permanently open tab in my browser, and is the first thing I catch up on in the morning! I don't look directly at the comic itself; that'd be a spoiler! I prefer reading the commentary on the way to it :D

May Randall have mercy on us, and may Time continue indefinitely.
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

I want them to have exciting adventures so I'll feel better when I say goodbye to the metaphorical sandcastles I've built in order to have different adventures as a non-sandroyal. :|
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

descor

Postby descor » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:I don't look directly at the comic itself; that'd be a spoiler! I prefer reading the commentary on the way to it :D

Me too!! Glad I'm not the only one.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

mittfh

Postby mittfh » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

A track that hasn't ended up on the Spotify list yet: REM's "It's the end of the world as we know it (I feel fine)"

Then to represent The Book of Aubron (which of course allows you to travel backwards in time as well as forwards), you've got to have at least one version of the Doctor Who Theme - maybe even a completely bonkers mash-up deliberately designed to achieve Number 1 (it worked) - Doctorin' The Tardis.

For when it's all over, What'll I do, when you, are far, away, and I, am blue, what'll I do? Alternatively, Time to say Goodbye (made famous by Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli).

Meanwhile, we've several versions of Castles in the Sand, but how about a Castle in a Cloud (Les Mis)?

descor

Postby descor » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

HOWMANYMOREONGSARETHEREONG
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

descor wrote:
RobIrr wrote:I don't look directly at the comic itself; that'd be a spoiler! I prefer reading the commentary on the way to it :D

(Yep, same here)

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

I must coma. I hope there's still Time in the morning.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

mittfh wrote:A track that hasn't ended up on the Spotify list yet: REM's "It's the end of the world as we know it (I feel fine)"

Then to represent The Book of Aubron (which of course allows you to travel backwards in time as well as forwards), you've got to have at least one version of the Doctor Who Theme - maybe even a completely bonkers mash-up deliberately designed to achieve Number 1 (it worked) - Doctorin' The Tardis.

For when it's all over, What'll I do, when you, are far, away, and I, am blue, what'll I do? Alternatively, Time to say Goodbye (made famous by Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli).

Meanwhile, we've several versions of Castles in the Sand, but how about a Castle in a Cloud (Les Mis)?

This one on the list yet?
Why Randall above us, who must be in the know.
Thinks so little of us, he allows you to go.

Edit: also, no mention yet of the greyness of the last newpic. Up from #464646 to #4b4b4b, another increase of 5.
Last edited by mscha on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Drakeesh

Postby Drakeesh » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

katakombe wrote:hello dwellers of Time!

also, i've pondered for a while if the number of flags has any significance, since they've been added continuously throughout Time, the number always increasing, and the last was added just before the sad "bye". there are 16 of them now (for how long? and will anyone (la petite?) show up in Time to save the one on the right before it is swallowed by the sea (which is big)?). does the number of towers have a significance? any ideas?

I would love to see La Petite rush in and save all of the flags, then KiloNewpix in the future, a grown up La Petite (La Grande?) could be sitting on a beach with someone and recount the amazing sand castle she saw a couple make when she was a little girl. Leading to them trying to recreate it from her memory and using the same flags which she saved from the original castle.

descor wrote:
Tatiana wrote:Suggestions for things to do with our lives now that the OTC is fading away:
<snip>
Anyone have any more ideas?

I'll be damned if I'm going to stop posting here just because there's no Time. I'm a Timewaiter. I'll wait for Time to begin again in the next universe if I have to ...

Agreed, I may not post much, but reading the Thread of the OTC has become a fun and relaxing break from outside responsibilities. I laugh, I ponder (are you pondering what I'm pondering!) I smile, you are all awesome!

I also love the Hats!
Sir Aheem, Defender of the Former Right Flag, Keeper of the Shards of the Shattered Right Tower

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
descor wrote:

(Yep, same here)

indeed. although, i have to admit i cheated one time: when i came back from coma after the "bye" Newpix i had to make sure that it still existed. i just couldn't bear the suspense.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
ggh wrote:
buffygirl wrote:NOTICE:
Now taking applications for milliner's apprentice. No experience required. Must be willing to be bossed around mercilessly. Apply within.

Ooh ooh ohh - Could I try to be your apprentice? On the plus side, I love feathers, but on the minus side, I am slow. Getting bossed around is fine when the cake is good enough and I am hungry.

Slow?
Take a look around, son. There is no Time to be slow.

(A son, however, I am not.)

Sorry about this. It was 3am and I channeled Warden Edwin James.

cmyk wrote:2) When the dissolve is complete, the scene will fade back as M&C will return to their sand castles much eroded or something of the sort.

I suppose it will likely be as fast as the current one, right?

cellocgw wrote:-- thus once again revealing my age. Did I mention I hit college before the first Bowmar Brain came out?

Hmm, what's a Bowmar Brain? Does it have to do with computing?

cmyk wrote:
descor wrote:

(Yep, same here)

And here.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

Edited, in order to replace my original post1 with: A delay with moderation meant that I reposted and moderation didn't pick up my double post despite the second one indicating that I was reposting, and now I find that I have ninja'd myself six pages into the future. By then 12 newpix had passed and Blitzgirl had reappeared and I think the post is better placed where it ended up rather than here, so I have deleted it here so anyone trying to catch up doesn't hit it twice.

1This was meant to be my very first post, but now it has kind of ended up as my third, but in the past, which seems very apt for this needle-pulled thing. Anyone who is still confused clearly understands what is going on. :D
Last edited by DrSamCarter on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

VeloCityGirl

Postby VeloCityGirl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
Caswallon wrote:Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

What's a "Chruch"? :D

I think it is a really great Freudian Slip -- for the outside world at least.
VeloCityGIrl, now hatted! Thanks buffygirl.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

Unspecified #505050 ONG...
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

tenofzero

Postby tenofzero » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

Long time stalker and first time poster on this thread.
It does look like we are coming to an end ... unless we are fading to a new view ?
In any case, I wanted to say hello to everyone and thank-you for the great discussions !

htom

Postby htom » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
descor wrote:

(Yep, same here)

I think of doing so as a way of experiencing the time that's passed. ... that's past. Both make sense.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Man this is depressing! Walltextcomatime:

macraw83 wrote:
RobIrr wrote:
Nope.

A day in the Outside has left me around five pages behind... but if anybody is interested, this is now updating with viewer locations-
Looks like you in our former colonies outnumber the rest of the world combined!

Awesome! I'm at least 2 of the 4 dots in Russia! And I'm not even Russian!

This blast from the past brought to you by: Guy who is traveling half a world away from home and rarely has internet access, loading all of the pages into NewTabs in FF every chance he gets

Every time this graph gets bumped, it gets more data points. Bump the graph!

Not sure if this has been bumped or not recently, since I'm just now catching up to it again, but here goes...

Damn... all day, I've been perpetually 4-5 pages behind. Hopefully this changes in the next 2-3 timeframes...

EDIT for doublepostvoidance (though it's probably been long enough now...):

buffygirl wrote:Do-over for macraw83

[another attached picture of cat wearing a birdplanehat and a jacket]

I am ashamed to say that I can't tell much of a difference... :oops:

The new one looks slightly shorter, maybe? And appears to have a slightly higher contrast, so that is nice. Thanks!
Last edited by macraw83 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

phoenix301

Postby phoenix301 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
Lucia wrote:She's saying goodbye. She's saying goodbye, not to a person, but to the castle. She's saying goodbye to the thing she built from sand/snow/ground coffee/cancerbabies, raised from the plane of sand/snow/ground coffee/cancerbabies into the sky, protected from the Sea when it began to rise... she's saying goodbye. I don't think she's coming back. Mock me as an apocalyptist or a Loopist, but I don't think she's coming back. That tiny bye, the bag on her back, the tilt of her head: it tells me that she isn't coming back. Not here. Not to this. Who knows. Maybe the two of them will build a mighty wall further up, a stalwart bulwark against the sea, but this castle? No. It is to be left to the sea. This is more tragic than any single darkening pixel. This:
:cry:
This is ending.

Oh God, this is so sad... I just want to say this. :cry:

But maybe, maybe it has more in common with that scene. Maybe it is not the end. Maybe it is regeneration.

hey hey hey!! not everyone has watched all of Doctor Who! Some of us have only got half way through the episodes on netflix..You almost caused me to know something before it happens (in my time reference that is). It would have been ... a spoiler.

mk_chem

Re: 1190: "Time" (Wait for it.)

Postby mk_chem » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

I've been following the OTC since its glorious beginning and the OTT for at least the last 150 newpages and i see a lot of hard work put into this thread, which makes me kind of happy, even if i'm not really part of the community right now (registered only because of the OTC). it's just awesome to see what Randall created with this thing :)

i really want to contribute something to this, because this is big (although probably not as big as the sea) and i want to be a part of it!

i hope i don't ninja anyone with this, but i wrote a matlab script that determines the height of the sea in each frame.

it takes the most right column of pixels of a frame (actually the third column from the right if you count the two pixels of the frame), "stretches" the colorspace to 255 to 0 (added this to account for fading, i wanted a simple fit with only one variable) and fits a logistig curve to the data (colorvalue over number height in image; i used a sigmoidal curve and did not round the best fit value to account for gray pixels at the sea level [so the sea could rise half a pixel if it wanted {it's the sea anyway, which DOES what it wants}]). the center point is then the height.

i just tested it, and it yielded this: a curve (tried to link to my pubilc dropbox folder, got flagged as spam... where should i upload it?)

the problem right now is that i only have the first 855 frames numbered in the fashion "TimeX.png", found them uploaded by someone to github (sorry, i forgot who was so kind to do this...).

now is there any source for all frames at once which are named with the respective number of the frame? i haven't read anything about it the last newpages, but i DO read a bit fast (to catch up quickly on the newpages, when i was outside for too long), so i could easily have overread it. when i'm back home i will download the missing frames anyway by hand and rename them, but perhaps someone has already done the work!

love this comic so much... and all y'all!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:[

cellocgw wrote:-- thus once again revealing my age. Did I mention I hit college before the first Bowmar Brain came out?

Hmm, what's a Bowmar Brain? Does it have to do with computing?

To save you a trip to GooglePedia, yes, it was the first solid-state handheld calculator. Four functions (or pay an additional $$ and get a "%" key), and people went wild over it. Heck, there was even a Scientific American article on the workings, and the fact that the main "monitor" loop checked for electrical contact by row and column of the keyboard, so you could do funky things by holding down two keys and getting the response equivalent to the key at the intersection of their row/column indices. Or something like that.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Hertzog

Postby Hertzog » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

Have I overlooked it, or has no mentioned that we may be seeing "the mists of Time"?

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

VOGONG!

#565656, RGB(86,86,86)

Edit: still following my curve. Prediction stays at 964.
Last edited by NoMouse on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

#505050 => # 565656. Jump of 6 this time, it keeps speeding up.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:To save you a trip to GooglePedia, yes, it was the first solid-state handheld calculator. Four functions (or pay an additional $$ and get a "%" key), and people went wild over it.

Now that I've seen the pictures of them I can remember playing with one of these in my fathers office. This was about mid '70s... totally forgot about it until now. But I remember the distinct shape of the buttons and the overall look of the thing. Scary to think that this was almost four decades ago.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:14 pm UTC

phoenix301 wrote:
NoMouse wrote:Oh God, this is so sad... I just want to say this. :cry:

But maybe, maybe it has more in common with that scene. Maybe it is not the end. Maybe it is regeneration.

hey hey hey!! not everyone has watched all of Doctor Who! Some of us have only got half way through the episodes on netflix..You almost caused me to know something before it happens (in my time reference that is). It would have been ... a spoiler.

I'm so so sorry. I didn't thought of that. In my defense, it was a very short scene that itself doesn't spoil much. It must be very hard to avoid all those Doctor Who related spoilers lurking around every corner of the Internet though...

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

Thanks for bumping the clustermap image people. It's keeping it updated. It seems to record visits per view, mind, so if one person sees it in on three pages, that's three views. But it shows the spread of locations nicely.

I created it with a "dummy" URL, but since we're #52 top user of their service, and they link to it, I've actually created xkcd.irrelevant.com/ now! It just redirects to page 1 on this thread for now.
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Hoy So

Postby Hoy So » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

i have been following this thread since the inception of Time and have enjoyed greatly following the discussions and theories put forth and suggested.
i finally had to create an account so that i could share something which has begun to weigh heavily on my mind ...
has anyone yet suggested the possibility of a closed loop?
upon a complete fade to white a simple pan out (or other transitional effect) to reveal the two sitting on the beach staring at oceanriver, making Time eternal?

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:I created it with a "dummy" URL, but since we're #52 top user of their service, and they link to it, I've actually created xkcd.irrelevant.com/ now! It just redirects to page 1 on this thread for now.

Wow, I just saw the first comments after a long time and...
Alsadius (2nd post) wrote:I can't tell if Randall is trying to be deep, or just trying to take a day off work.

Exkakx (14th post) wrote:What an interesting comic. This is probably the most simplistic xkcd yet...

haha, they could not have been more wrong. :D

Clix

Postby Clix » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

Hi, long time lurker, second time poster,

One for the Spotified Play List. If it has been mentioned, my search skills need improving.

I was reviewing the book of Aubronwood before I coma'ed last night. Talking Heads "Once In A Lifetime" was on loop in my head.

Spoiler:
Water dissolving and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Remove the water, carry the water
Remove the water from the bottom of the ocean
Time isn't holding us, time isn't after us
Time isn't holding us, time doesn't hold you back
Time isn't holding us, time isn't after us
Time isn't holding us...

I would link, but I am a noob in a strange land

Edit: removing BB fail
People need panic...panic in regular draghts. I read about the governments of the world, and I panic daily. It's a heart pumping workout that keeps my cheeks rosy and my vision crystal clear.
Thorax:Pigborn (Brooke McEldowney)

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

I think a determining issue is

a) whether the rightmost flag standing falls before the whiteout
b) if it does, whether anyone returns in an attempt to retrieve it.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

phoenix301

Postby phoenix301 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
phoenix301 wrote:
NoMouse wrote:Oh God, this is so sad... I just want to say this. :cry:

I'm so so sorry. I didn't thought of that. In my defense, it was a very short scene that itself doesn't spoil much. It must be very hard to avoid all those Doctor Who related spoilers lurking around every corner of the Internet though...

Luckily I realized and stopped it just a second in. Like you said, it is hard to avoid spoilers. Usually if it's in text I have no idea what they are talking about, just that it's a reference, or at least obscure enough that it is largely left to the imagination. Sometimes it's a picture that doesn't even mean anything to me yet...but video spoilers are the worst because they unfold in front of you in sight, sound, emotion and character interaction. You get so much more information out of a few seconds of video than a description or a picture. (please don't take that as me being mad..just my rambling).

oh, and excellent .gif response.

Speaking of something happening next, coming up on another ong.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

> FEE
Ok.
> FIE
Ok.
> FOE
Ok.
> FONG
Nothing happens.

#565656 => #5b5b5b. +5.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Arky

Postby Arky » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

Another long-time lurker breaking cover here... I didn't register to post in this thread but I did retrieve my password for the first time in ages if it helps... have been following the One True Comic (and this thread) for an Outside month! Just wanting to add my voice to those hoping that it doesn't end this way (on the off chance Lord Randall was using forum interest to decide whether enough people still cared about the One True Comic, this is my bit to say YES! The river posting may be small, but the sea lurking is big!).

We have to know what is up with La Petite! We have to learn why Cueball and Megan appear to have not heard of tides yet understand basic machinery principles and have a whole hardware-store load of building materials readily available! And what is really up with the sea (which is big)! The OTC is named "Time" not "driving the readership insane with unanswered questions" :lol:

Off to coma, hoping that Time still exists when I wake.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:I think a determining issue is

a) whether the rightmost flag standing falls before the whiteout
b) if it does, whether anyone returns in an attempt to retrieve it.

imho, if noone shows up to save the flag, then Time as we know it is really over.

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

I've been lurking since the beginning of Time and have read every single NewPage, but I had to delurk before the end of Time (or before the end of the Fade era). I don't believe that Time will end with the Fade. The Great Lord Randall would not introduce a brand new character, LaPetite, so near the end of Time without any explanation. I think that LaPetite has more stories to tell before the end.

Also, go BlitzGirl! And go Vytron! We believe in you!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”