1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

vvn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby vvn » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:15 am UTC

Unrelated, but possibly amusing to this group. I ran across this recently. "In the old Royal Spanish Army there was a decoration awarded to a general who won a battle fought against orders. Of course, if he lost it, he was shot."

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:18 am UTC

I'm feeling all "Gilligan's Island" lately, like I signed on for a three-hour tour and here I still am.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Purplepants77

Postby Purplepants77 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:19 am UTC

Okay, I'm still way back on NP 425, but I've been catching up since 419 and its time to coma. I'll blind post one quick comment (I wish I knew what was going on in Time up there, but I won't spoil it for myself!)

descor wrote:How about this?
Included as an attachment, click to see large version
Geological Time.png

I think this is really good, I enjoy the visual as well!

Smithers wrote:
Purplepants77 wrote:Poetic license
means certain words can adapt
to make Haiku's work

Fitting the meter
Does not excuse inserting
that apostrophe.

Haha, yes, your1 right.
How could I have been so blind?
I apologize.

1 This is what I think:
One haiku with bad grammer2
deserves an other3
2 Only really, I meant this one! Honest!
3 Ah! Stop judging!
Still blitzing away and will be for some time.

Current Location: NP 1432
NP from Present: 891
Current Progress: 61.6%

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:20 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:BADONG
#A2A2A2

Ooooh, maybe the erosion of the castle will end up spelling something out! I thought of this because the perfectly curved shape of the most recent erosion of the current RightMost tower. yes, yes, I know, it's the same rounded shape the right-most tower always has .... hey wait ..... maybe I'm on to something...

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:22 am UTC

Yaaaaaay! It's so lovely to see you truly were here all this time, Blitzgirl! Our sigwarnings (and some fancy new shoes) gave you just the speed you needed to close the gap, and you are now aware of, in your present, the Great (and completely frightening) Fading.

Blitzgirl wrote:
Valarya wrote:The saddest part is
by the time Blitzgirl gets here
Time will fade away.

This is probably
The saddest haiku of all
The hundreds I've read

Sad is what I felt
when I thought of you missing
the present ending.

I'm so glad you're almost here.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

melthengylf

Postby melthengylf » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:26 am UTC

I can't believe the whole story the OTC developed. I wasn't paying much attention for a long time, but since the sea rised it has been quite touching. And the fading out kinds of shivers me.

By the way, Best wishes to Blitzgirl and Vyxron!

By the way, is it possible that it finishes exactly at newpix 1000? It would be a nice round number. Anyway, it's clear that it finishes in the OW's tomorrow.
Last edited by melthengylf on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:32 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:really? I have to make the hats AND keep a record of them? *sighs*

The list in order of creation (I think):1
Spoiler:
elementropy
AluisioASG
mojacardave
manvandamaan
jjjdavidson
cmyk
vvn
jafloi
lmjb
kieryn
dracomax
mscha
goggalor
valarya
robirr
angelastic
stratplayer
jonas79
macraw83
neil_boekend
eternal density

1 Although the first four gifted hats can be found here.

Thanks! You left out tman2nd between mscha and Goggalor, but hopefully you've listed everyone else. The wiki page has been updated to show creation order. (This fading text business is going to become a problem soon...)
Edit: Fixed User:Buffygirl link to wiki.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

beargarden
Cardinal

Postby beargarden » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:37 am UTC

Will it stay white forever once faded? I don't want it to end ;__; I want this to always be a place I can come to where we can watch Megan and Cueball on adventures, growing old together and letting their kids take over the journey.
Can't Randall just draw this forever?

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:37 am UTC

It's amazing that Blitzgirl can make so much progress while taking the time to create signposts, read all the haikus, and even make haikus herself.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:37 am UTC

[I am nervously reposting this. I submitted it 12 newpix ago, and am not sure if it is still awaiting moderation (and therefore I am about to ninja myself and/or double post and/or commit any number of other newbie sins) or whether it is lost. I don't believe it contains things that are problematic (links, shpam, naughty words, or things that live under bridges) so I'm going to try again; and will endeavour to appear suitably contrite, sheepish and apologetic if I am doing the wrong thing.]

It still seems impossible to tell whether things are winding down or not; whether this fade portends the ending.

But if it does, then I've decided I don't want things to end without doing something to indicate "I was here", and so I am de-lurking.

I have been here from the beginning, and have read almost every post (it would be a lie to say I have read all of them, but I'd come close to having read over 99% of this needle-pulled-thing). It has been a strange, surreal experience:
    * well over a month of waiting for the world's slowest piece of animation to be released frame-by-frame,
    * reading speculation on meanings and possible endings,
    * surviving the madness (I'll confess that's where my missing 1% is ... well, there and the rot-13 section),
    * observing religions rise and fall (although we seem still to have popes) and temporal measuring systems come and go every few newpix,
    * witnessing awesome graphs and bits of techgeekery (I can't believe how quickly the beginning of the fade era was identified, or how simple yet brilliant the comparison pictures were with their lost-and-gained pixels, and the collation of the book of Aubronwood, and all the creative interpretations/additions ... and other things too many to mention),
    * worrying about Blitzgirl's progress (and am relieved and pleased that she has resurfaced and so close),
    * marveling at the civility and erudition of this forum (and the generally literateness1 of its members, even and especially from those for whom the wonderful and frustrating language of English is not their first language) ,
    * admiring Buffygirl's creative generosity,
    * enjoying haikus created both intentionally and inadvertently (and then elegantly revealed),
    * feeling I never really got to know Cueball and Megan (or, even more noticeably, LaPetite),
    * contemplated the size of the sea (which is big and does what it wants) and the river (which is small ... and never mind what ANY of it might be made of),
    * feeling a disconcerting sense of impending loss, should the sandcastle disappear, even though sandcastles inevitably do,
    and
    * watching Time pass here and time pass Outside, and feeling like I was IN the metaphor ... if it is a metaphor.

In case I do not post again2 (and even if I do), I just want to thank you all for the company and the experience.

Meanwhile, I still "Wait for it".

1Irony -- I know this is not a word3
2If I do not post again I know I will end up as a lowly one-off post-er, but I decided I would rather that than to be forever invisible in the historical record.
3Oh, yes, and I enjoyed the quirkiness of the footnotes too.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:39 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:It's amazing that Blitzgirl can make so much progress while taking the time to create signposts, read all the haikus, and even make haikus herself.

I presume that's because she's coming at relativistic speeds.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:42 am UTC

beargarden wrote:Will it stay white forever once faded? I don't want it to end ;__; I want this to always be a place I can come to where we can watch Megan and Cueball on adventures, growing old together and letting their kids take over the journey.

He would have to have someone else takeover eventually if it's going to be longer than his lifetime.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:44 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Thanks! You left out tman2nd between mscha and Goggalor, but hopefully you've listed everyone else. The wiki page has been updated to show creation order. (This fading text business is going to become a problem soon...)

Sure is. I think we should start using the following two color tags instead for each alternate line:

Code: Select all

[color=#e1ebf2]line one[/color]
[color=#ecf3f7]line two[/color]

This makes the text much easier
to read doesn't it

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:46 am UTC

Blitzgirl's so close! She can make it before the fading finally finishes fading forever!

Blitzgirl wrote:I found my favorite in a sig, actually:

● blitz (plural blitzes)
  ◌ A sudden attack, especially an air raid; usually with reference to The Blitz.
  ◌ (figuratively) A sudden effort, as a publicity blitz.
  ◌ A spontaneous, extended effort to read through the entirety of a piece of media, esp. a forum thread (See: Blitzgirl)

Ah, yes, it's from the...uh...Oxford Dictionary of Various Fora

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:47 am UTC

Oh, my Randall! Blitzgirl is almost here! Blitzgirl is almost here!

<begins hurriedly tidying up the forum>
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

beargarden
Cardinal

Postby beargarden » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:47 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:
beargarden wrote:Will it stay white forever once faded? I don't want it to end ;__; I want this to always be a place I can come to where we can watch Megan and Cueball on adventures, growing old together and letting their kids take over the journey.

He would have to have someone else takeover eventually if it's going to be longer than his lifetime.

A family legacy, perhaps.

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:49 am UTC

@Latent22 Good idea, if BlitzGirl didn't know about it, it would speed up her arrival. :)

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:51 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:And we're up to #9A9A9A.

By the way, the list of Hats by buffygirl has grown considerably, but I'm sure it's still far from exhaustive. Feel free to point out anyone whose buffygirl magnificence is still missing from the page.

In particular, we still need unhatted versions of avatars. If your pre-buffydashery/buffymillinery is missing, please post an image (already at avatar size, please) and somebody will add it to the page. If you put "before avatar" in your post, it'll be easier for us non-BlitzGirl types to find.

Aahh! While I'm writing this, BlitzGirl at last gives us an update (which unfortunately will probably delay her arrival a good half-hour when she reaches Newpage 438).
Yay, BlitzGirl! But I am reminded, BlitzGirl's beret needs to be added to the list of hats.

I added mine but I may have messed up the formatting -- please feel free to adjust as needed.

Etided to add: AND WELCOME BlitzGirl!!!!

It is bittersweet to have you finally join us as Time is fading away. I rejoice at your arrival, but am saddened that we may not have much Time left...

And call me sentimental, but I for one refuse to add any fading to my postings... It just hurts too much....
Last edited by StratPlayer on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:53 am UTC

patzer wrote:@Latent22 Good idea, if BlitzGirl didn't know about it, it would speed up her arrival. :)

Just make sure you change it to #EBEADD in quotes. ;)

vvn

Postby vvn » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:54 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:really? I have to make the hats AND keep a record of them? *sighs*

Sorry. Didn't mean to give you work. Just figured you were the canonical reference.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:58 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
patzer wrote:@Latent22 Good idea, if BlitzGirl didn't know about it, it would speed up her arrival. :)

And hope she doesn't know about the Ctrl-A trick!
Also we have to pray no posts get approved and bump us down one!

AK49BWL

Postby AK49BWL » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:00 am UTC

POSTONG from the PASTONG....

Seems we're at 0xAB now.

Now to catch up on the page I went Outside for...
Follower of the One True Comic

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:01 am UTC

That flag is on the brink of destruction! The precipice of annihilation! The cliff of eradication!

I'm done now :P

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:04 am UTC

AK49BWL wrote:POSTONG from the PASTONG....
Spoiler:

Seems we're at 0xAB now.

That's a jump of 9. So even this close to white, he's still accelerating?

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:05 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:

Seems we're at 0xAB now.

Yeah we only have 7-8 newpix to get to white at this rate

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:06 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

And change it to #EEEDD9 in even-level quotes :wink:
edit: I can see a vague shadow of some letters, don't think eeedd9 was quite right :(
edit2: fixed color tags, eeedd9 was right.
Last edited by patzer on Wed May 01, 2013 7:19 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:10 am UTC

Nooo! Pixels, come back!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:13 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:There once was a comic on xkcd;
Sand castles by a sea of semencoffee.
It started to fade,
The timewaiters all prayed,
And la Petite returned! "Holy Shit," says me!!!!

There once was a comic, so sweet
with a little girl name La Petite.
But she came and went
and all hope was spent...
The little bitch!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

htom

Postby htom » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:15 am UTC

The crenelations are tilting ... and I coma.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:18 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
It started to fade,

But she came and went
The little bitch!

I see you've opted for the 1122bitch rhyme scheme. Popular amongst drunk limerickers.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:21 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
buffygirl wrote:uhhhh ..... Lost is still on my to-do list (yes, I missed it first time round! I'm sorry!) So thank you for the spoiler heads-up, cuz it meant that I didn't follow the link! Woot!

I get the impression that it's yet another of those shows whose entire premise is a tantalising overarching mystery but that got cancelled before the mystery was solved, only this one is worse than usual since it went on for six seasons first. So you can save yourself the time and frustration, and take it off the to-do list. Congratulations, you just gained nearly 85 timeframes of free Time!

The impression I got (also having never watched Lost) is that it was a show whose entire premise was a tantalising overarching mystery, but the "truth" behind the mystery was only decided at the last minute. It certainly wasn't a shock cancellation - they went into the sixth season knowing it was the last - they just didn't bother to tie up their loose ends properly.

Of course, since I spent something like 5 years being increasingly smug over people's increasing frustration about Lost not resolving anything, I could be suffering confirmation bias...

Alias was another show with a tantalising overarching mystery that appeared to be being made up as it went along, but there the premise of the show was watching Jennifer Garner play dress-up and kick butt, so it was much less of an issue that the writing team didn't know where it was going either...

Back to waiting...

I've wanted to watch Lost, but I don't like investing too much Time into something that doesn't end properly... I'm still waiting for season two of Firefly.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:22 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
It started to fade,

But she came and went
The little bitch!

I see you've opted for the 1122bitch rhyme scheme. Popular amongst drunk limerickers.

Wait . . . there are sober limerickers?!? :shock:
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:24 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:

Seems we're at 0xAB now.

Oh my, I wanted to go sleep.

StratPlayer wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
buffygirl wrote:uhhhh ..... Lost is still on my to-do list (yes, I missed it first time round! I'm sorry!) So thank you for the spoiler heads-up, cuz it meant that I didn't follow the link! Woot!

I get the impression that it's yet another of those shows whose entire premise is a tantalising overarching mystery but that got cancelled before the mystery was solved, only this one is worse than usual since it went on for six seasons first. So you can save yourself the time and frustration, and take it off the to-do list. Congratulations, you just gained nearly 85 timeframes of free Time!

The impression I got (also having never watched Lost) is that it was a show whose entire premise was a tantalising overarching mystery, but the "truth" behind the mystery was only decided at the last minute. It certainly wasn't a shock cancellation - they went into the sixth season knowing it was the last - they just didn't bother to tie up their loose ends properly.

Of course, since I spent something like 5 years being increasingly smug over people's increasing frustration about Lost not resolving anything, I could be suffering confirmation bias...

Alias was another show with a tantalising overarching mystery that appeared to be being made up as it went along, but there the premise of the show was watching Jennifer Garner play dress-up and kick butt, so it was much less of an issue that the writing team didn't know where it was going either...

Back to waiting...

I've wanted to watch Lost, but I don't like investing too much Time into something that doesn't end properly... I'm still waiting for season two of Firefly.

Watch Lost up to and including Season 5. Simple like that.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

AK49BWL

Postby AK49BWL » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:25 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:

Seems we're at 0xAB now.

I am afraid :cry:

But, YAY for a BlitzGirl update!!! Good to see you again, you've almost made it!
Follower of the One True Comic

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:27 am UTC

melthengylf wrote:By the way, is it possible that it finishes exactly at newpix 100024? It would be a nice round number. Anyway, it's clear that it finishes in the OW's tomorrow.

FTFY
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:29 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Angelastic wrote:

Back to waiting...

That sounds very similar to how Bioware handled a certain sci-fi rpg series... remembering how disappointed I was then, maybe I should take Lost off of my list of shows to watch...

EDITed for fade...
Last edited by macraw83 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:50 am UTC

So this is how it all ends...

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:

Seems we're at 0xAB now.

Ugh. :( And I have to coma...
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

vvn

Postby vvn » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:55 am UTC

Perhaps it will end in 5 mins with the Monday comic?

Edit: Is any one else amused that Aubron only has 21 posts? Built the animation site, and.....faded?
Last edited by vvn on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”