1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:03 pm UTC

More waffles? Of the Swedish sort? Delicious! And bagels! :mrgreen:

Dig in, everybody - I can't eat all of these delicious baked goods by myself!

(Okay, I could, but that's better-off left in hypothetical land.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

It's not fair.
La Petite arriving with what looks like a trebuchet, a huge chunk of tower falling off, and we'll never see anything more. :cry:
Last edited by mscha on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

The right tower is shearing off! It will collapse in the next pix, the flag may be lost forever!
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

Swein

Postby Swein » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

Shit! I thought I would be able to press in one last BLADONG!
But Ninjas are everywhere! :evil:

Spoiler:
bladong.png
bladong.png (9.83 KiB) Viewed 8865 times
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

So, still some gray in there, but most likely the last one. Could someone with skillz darken it so we can see what's happening?

ETA: Ninja'd, didn't see the darkened update when posting.
Last edited by Jonas79 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I predict that the One True Comic will continue until the end of Time!

You did it BlitzGirl!

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:06 pm UTC

Jonas79 wrote:Wasn't someone supposed to bring Croissants when BlitzGirl arrived? Where are they?

That would be my southern neighbor manvandmaan:

manvandmaan wrote:BlitzGirl, do you by any chance have a beret?
and also: I'll make sure those Croissants are oven-fresh when you arrive!
AND EVEN MORE ALSO: WATCH OUT FOR THE TEARS!
Thank you lmjb1964 for clarifying! and ruining my pun :( but I really really like you, so it's OK!

@manvandmaan: Is the oven preheated yet?
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:06 pm UTC

I want croissants. They are a bestfood.

This is not the end. But it might be all we see. I sure hope not.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

Jonas79 wrote:So, still some gray in there, but most likely the last one. Could someone with skillz darken it so we can see what's happening?

mscha did it before you could even finish typing :)
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

Jonas79 wrote:So, still some gray in there, but most likely the last one. Could someone with skillz darken it so we can see what's happening?

How 'bout three post up from yours? :oops:

We're at #fafafa by the way, +8 compared to the last one. Next one can't be more than +5, #ffffff.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

beargarden
Cardinal

Postby beargarden » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

Perhaps he will continue building where Megan and Cueball left off. And his children, and their children, till the end of Time!

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

Warning: I am going to ramble on a little bit.

I have to admit: I'm an old fart when it comes to the Internet. In Internet Years, I am roughly 134 years old. I mean, I remember this thing called Usenet. I helped implement the first webbrowser on a household device (a CD-i player). Of course, there were no fancy animated GIFs or even <blink> tags around, so that was a little bit easier than it would have been today. So, credentials established, I have a few observations.

I have really enjoyed this particular comic. I have long thought (and secretly hoped) that the sandcastle would just be crenellated into huge letters, forming either 'FIN' (the end) or 'IT'. Of course, the IT we have been waiting for could also be the IT from MPFC's IT-man.

What I have also enjoyed is this this discussion thread. It reminded me of the early Usenet days when the community was a little less the whole world, but just connected universities and select companies (usually IT-related). Groups would form around certain topics and then blossom into a community with a certain amount of set patterns, newbies would be welcomed and initiated in the ways of the topic and as Time went on, FAQs would pop-up, just like the Wiki we have for this thread alone. Surely, somewhere an anthropologist could have some fun writing a book about this phenomenon.

Here we saw something similar: after the initial exploration phase (what the *#@*#& is going on) there were a few phases in group/community building.

There were the Historians, trying to archive and capture what went before;
the Scientists analyzing whatever data they could gather;
the Zealots, creating an entire religion out of the Sands of Time, including prophesies and other parts of the enchilada;
the Questors, dedicated to devour whatever was produced as Time went by, such as BlitzGirl;
the Observors, such as myself, who followed the Comic's progress and the discussion on the forum, but without the BG-devotion, so skipping a few pages here and there.

Surely I have forgotten a few subgroups, but I have no desire to be all-encompassing and complete. And of course, all of us were waiting for it.

Amazingly, there were very few turf or flame wars. Just good-natured banter.

And all of those who are left are part of a community - the cheering on of BG and the creative ways to make her go/read faster being just an example ; I'd wager there is a sense of togetherness that will continue even if Time restarts/peters out and that people will continue to post and check back just to capture that community feeling of yonder.

As an aside: it would be fun if people from this thread had hooked up in Real Life.

To all of you: it has been fun. I thank you for your entertainment, as without it following the comic itself would not have been as fun.

Regards,

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

How 'bout three post up from yours? :oops:

We're at #fafafa by the way, +8 compared to the last one. Next one can't be more than +5, #ffffff.

Saw that later, thanks :D For some reason I didn't see it when posting which is strange.

You did it BlitzGirl!

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

beargarden wrote:It's almost gone and the right-hand tower still hasn't collapsed?

It's the flag! it has to be the flag... Or it is just that the sea* just wants to troll us?

*Big

[Edit:] Too slow, ninja'd by the OTC...
Last edited by Jafloi on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

Jafloi wrote:
beargarden wrote:It's almost gone and the right-hand tower still hasn't collapsed?

It's the flag! it has to be the flag... Or it is just that the sea* just wants to troll us?

*Big

Well, it is collapsing now. And Ronald, thanks for your thoughts :) I started with BBS:s you had to call into with your modem before I was introduced quite late to the Internet in 1994, but I also feel that this thread has some of the same spirit you could see back in the early days.

You did it BlitzGirl!

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
It's not fair.
La Petite arriving with what looks like a trebuchet, a huge chunk of tower falling off, and we'll never see anything more. :cry:

Seriously, this is the Newpix?? I became blind, I cannot see anything and I did not find a way to gimp it to be more seeable :?
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:
Elmach wrote:The Update of the Other Comic has occurred.
As tradition mandates, during my tri-weekly reminder,
I shall give a description of the comic and the
alt-text in this post.

The comic is a table showing, given how often an Outsider Activity occurs, and how much you will save on it, how long you can spend on trying to optimize the activity that much before it would be more efficient to not do it, but just watch the One True Comic instead.

The alt-text?
alt-text wrote:Don't forget the Time you will waste looking up the chart to find out how much time you will be able to add to wait for it. And the time spent reading this reminder of the time spent. And the time spent trying to figure out if either of the two made sense. Remember, every second not spent waiting for it is a second wasted. Including those right now. The River is Small. The Sea is Big. Wait for It.

Why is there no column for 24/DAY????

Also, the comic doesn't take into account that, as soon as you have automated a task, people start complaining that they want to do it by hand, and you'll have to turn if off, or at least delay it.
:P
<snip>

And then they make a bad job of it. We should split the Dong competition (human activity requiring shit for brainswit) from the New Frame posting (robot activity requiring precision)
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:More waffles? Of the Swedish sort? Delicious! And bagels! :mrgreen:

Dig in, everybody - I can't eat all of these delicious baked goods by myself!

(Okay, I could, but that's better-off left in hypothetical land.)

Thanks Blitz! *eats some bagles*

You did it BlitzGirl!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

Another random note about Time's numbers (because I can't think of anything to say about the latest frame that doesn't sound like total mental vapor lock):

0xFADE = 64222 = 2 x 163 x 197

0xFADED (color of this post) = 1027565 = 5 x 7 x 11 x 17 x 157

ETA: Amazingly (to me), Safari on an iPod still allows me to see la Petite dragging something into frame. First evidence I ever found that Safari was not a complete steaming pile of bit.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:19 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
It's not fair.

Seriously, this is the Newpix?? I became blind, I cannot see anything and I did not find a way to gimp it to be more seeable :?

If you want to GIMP it yourself, the easiest way is with Colors -> Auto -> Equalize. A better result comes from Colors -> Levels, with manual intervention required, i.e. best result comes from using the colour of the not-black as the left end of the input.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
It's not fair.

I used the awesome (and free) FastStone Image Viewer. Adjust levels, from 250-255 to 0-255.

Edit: i.e., the same thing as:
KarMann wrote:If you want to GIMP it yourself, the easiest way is with Colors -> Auto -> Equalize. A better result comes from Colors -> Levels, with manual intervention required, i.e. best result comes from using the colour of the not-black as the left end of the input.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:21 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
It's not fair.

I'm using an AutoCAD program and taking the contrast down to 3 and brightness down to 5 and it shows it with a little bloom, had to really work to see the crack in the tower.

MSCHA's is better

Rick_LANL

Postby Rick_LANL » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

This image is different (compared with, say, 10 newpix ago; haven't loaded any from overnight). After loading the pixel data into Matlab, instead of the was-black-now-gray values approaching 255, now the was-black pixels have value 3, and the background is 8. Displaying the image without scaling gives a black image, not a white one. So He changed up the data instead of just scaling the black as before, now counting upon browser properties to produce a white image.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
It's not fair.

If you want to GIMP it yourself, the easiest way is with Colors -> Auto -> Equalize. A better result comes from Colors -> Levels, with manual intervention required, i.e. best result comes from using the colour of the not-black as the left end of the input.

Thanks to help me in the Linux way ( :P to mscha :mrgreen: ), but Gimp do not allow me to click on the 'Equalize' in the colors -> auto menu, and if I click on colors -> levels, it raises an error...
GIMP wrote:(gimp:17317): GLib-WARNING **: (/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.32.3/./glib/gerror.c:390):g_error_new_valist: runtime check failed: (domain != 0)

I wonder if the picture I got is not really complete blank...
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Kethryes

Postby Kethryes » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:28 pm UTC

My present me salute the Present BlitzGirl!
*Hug* (I hope you don't mind hugs :wink:)
What an epic moment!
The Newpage 442 will be remembered in the History of Time! (A very nice round number, containing The Answer, coincidence? I don't think so!)

When I first came back I was afraid I lost my sight. Is it a divine punishment? Did we offence God?
Yet I see hope, with the presence of LaPetite. Time will never stop and continue onward forever, even if we are unable to witness IT anymore.
J Thomas wrote:From the evidence I have seen it looks utterly foolish to think it's ridiculous to doubt you are right.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:[One of the finest rambles I've ever read!]
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:31 pm UTC

Kethryes wrote:When I first came back I was afraid I lost my sight. Is it a divine punishment? Did we offended Lord Randall?

FTFY
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:32 pm UTC

If a newpix is posted in Time and we cannot see it, does it make a DONG?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

Rick_LANL wrote:This image is different (compared with, say, 10 newpix ago; haven't loaded any from overnight). After loading the pixel data into Matlab, instead of the was-black-now-gray values approaching 255, now the was-black pixels have value 3, and the background is 8. Displaying the image without scaling gives a black image, not a white one. So He changed up the data instead of just scaling the black as before, now counting upon browser properties to produce a white image.

That's probably some automated optimization. Since we only have a few shades of grey left (250-255, plus 0 for the border), the image can be (and is) stored with pixel depth 4 (allows 16 colors) instead of 8 (allows 256 colors).
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

squonk

Postby squonk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

It's easy to see by tilting the screen of a laptop.

tastony

Postby tastony » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:If a newpix is posted in Time and we cannot see it, does it make a DONG?

Maybe it makes more of an "OM" chanting sound...
I waited.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

I give to BlitzGirl
a hug the size of the sea.
Good to see you Now. :D
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

tastony

Postby tastony » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:36 pm UTC

mscha wrote:That's probably some automated optimization. Since we only have a few shades of grey left (250-255, plus 0 for the border), the image can be (and is) stored with pixel depth 4 (allows 16 colors) instead of 8 (allows 256 colors).

So, how many "Shades of Grey" have we had?
I waited.

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:36 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:If a newpix is posted in Time and we cannot see it, does it make a DONG?

If it has a new hash, I would say yes :D It would be interesting if this will begin the white period, all white newpix with only the hash changing.

You did it BlitzGirl!

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

Deny that you ever knew
I’m not gonna give the end away, no
We cannot escape the sunrise
Last edited by Red Hal on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

I think the DONG will always be heard, even if it is only to honour the memory of the OTC
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:I give to BlitzGirl
a hug the size of the sea.
Good to see you Now.

You're going to suffocate her this way.

tastony wrote:
mscha wrote:That's probably some automated optimization. Since we only have a few shades of grey left (250-255, plus 0 for the border), the image can be (and is) stored with pixel depth 4 (allows 16 colors) instead of 8 (allows 256 colors).

So, how many "Shades of Grey" have we had?

Three. White, black, and whatever the sea color is.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Rick_LANL

Postby Rick_LANL » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Rick_LANL wrote:This image is different (compared with, say, 10 newpix ago; haven't loaded any from overnight). After loading the pixel data into Matlab, instead of the was-black-now-gray values approaching 255, now the was-black pixels have value 3, and the background is 8. Displaying the image without scaling gives a black image, not a white one. So He changed up the data instead of just scaling the black as before, now counting upon browser properties to produce a white image.

That's probably some automated optimization. Since we only have a few shades of grey left (250-255, plus 0 for the border), the image can be (and is) stored with pixel depth 4 (allows 16 colors) instead of 8 (allows 256 colors).

Interesting. But surprising, since the border is 0 and the background is/was 255, so at 4 bits, dynamic range is lost. Doesn't matter for this image, but since I'm used to treating an image as a collection of scientific data, it seems odd to throw information away like that.

Edit (to avoid double posting): there are 9 pixel values in the image (Matlab loads it as 0,1,...,8). Border is 0, foreground is 3, background is 8, values between 3 and 8 are antialiasing at the edges, 1 and 2 are in the corners of the border.
Last edited by Rick_LANL on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

congratulations blitzgirl! what a mighty quest you have finished! welcome in the present - i see lots of food have been prepared, what would you like to drink with them?

also welcome back la petite! what have you fetched? a board to plant the falling castle on stilts! rope? a boat? will we ever see?

also, the next frame is the white one, right? when it comes, can someone still try to find a way to darken it? maybe something is going to be coded into the pixels, or the numbers?

bye tower and bye flag and (hopefully not) bye time

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Looks right to me:

Code: Select all

$ file 13e0f6c7fe59a8f5814efcb0647f2c5ef0979993406ddb7aaf056623d4cb7b02.png
13e0f6c7fe59a8f5814efcb0647f2c5ef0979993406ddb7aaf056623d4cb7b02.png: PNG image data, 553 x 395, 4-bit colormap, non-interlaced
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

Sorry to pretty much parrot everyone else... but Oh My Randall!

Wake up from Coma. Blitzgirl is here. La Petite showed up and is pulling something in to the frame. The most-right tower which used to be the 2nd-right tower pre-bridge is about to fall. And it's almost too white to see anything! too much excitement *shivers from it, giddily*

I humbly beg that you guys still keep posting darkened versions of each [B/D/G]ONG until you can't anymore.

SUPER HUGS, Blitzgirl.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”