1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

Spoiler:
KarMann wrote::shock:
time-20130429-1300.png

The lack of anti-aliasing (hard to do between #fefefe and #ffffff) makes it hard to see what La Petite is bringing in. :?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Swein

Postby Swein » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

Hmm.... Stones! I think La Petite is dragging a load of stones. Maybe planning of doing a better wavebreaker.

BTW: I had to get the picture from IE instead of Chrome to be able to get an image that I could make visible.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

Cannonballs?

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!
A particularly tough couple of work days Thursday and Friday, and then a weekend long coma, and now I'm 50 newpages behind? (395 out of 445, and there's something wrong with River(s).) This is terrible! I've probably missed the BlitzGirlian Singularity! I'm going to get Marooned in PixTime*!! I'm faced with a serious problem - do I time travel forward, skipping all the delicious needl-pulled thingy awesomeness, or slog through as I had planned, probably falling further and further behind until the End of Time?

*-Vernor Vinge reference, natch.
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

The OTC may (or may not) be dying, the OTT is more alive than ever! We're now posting at a rate of about 2 newpages per newpix.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Blindposting here, which seems appropriate, seems Time has gone white. Stayed up all night trying to help Buffygirl with hats (too late? And I'm not sure how helpful I was.) I'm now many NewPages behind, and for once that seems like a good thing--even if Time is over, even if no one posts anything else (I hope that doesn't happen! Seems unlikely), at least I have many posts to read.

There are currently 42 other users online besides me, and 159 guests. Don't think I've even seen that many at once. Nice to be in your various companies. :)

I did see that Blitzgirl has joined us in the Present. Yay Blitzgirl!!!! *BIG hug* So glad you're here in the present with us.

OK, have to coma for an hour or two before work. Maybe when I look again, Time will have started darkening again. I can always hope.

(OK, when I went to submit it warned me about a post since I started writing. I start reading and see something about Megan and Cueball's head on a stretcher? WHAT? Now I have to read more.)

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:12 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
KarMann wrote::shock:
time-20130429-1300.png

The lack of anti-aliasing (hard to do between #fefefe and #ffffff) makes it hard to see what La Petite is bringing in. :?

That reminded me, there is an option in the PNG format to use 16-bit values, and while it's not supported on much (it'll just be rounded, or truncated, or something like that), I wouldn't have put it past Great Lord Randall to hide a clearer image that way. But I checked the internals, and no, it's just 8-bit values in the colormap.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:12 pm UTC

VoronX wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOO!!
A particularly tough couple of work days Thursday and Friday, and then a weekend long coma, and now I'm 50 newpages behind? (395 out of 445, and there's something wrong with River(s).) This is terrible! I've probably missed the BlitzGirlian Singularity! I'm going to get Marooned in PixTime*!! I'm faced with a serious problem - do I time travel forward, skipping all the delicious needl-pulled thingy awesomeness, or slog through as I had planned, probably falling further and further behind until the End of Time?

*-Vernor Vinge reference, natch.

Come here, quickly. We have no Time for that anymore.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

xpatiate wrote:Cannonballs?

Perhaps shot for the trebuchet 7× larger than the intermediate-sized one?
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
Kethryes wrote:The Great White is upon us! Repent!

Has Time jumped the (great white) shark?

No, I think it's the other way around.
I did my own adjustments to the most recent newpix, and came up with this:

Spoiler:
Yes, I borrowed this shark.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

One bit away from white... maybe we can still save Time if BlitzGirl gives LaPetite a new name!
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

44c15893fedd846f0f503a7871a7775cade2a0d90987ff9651e5c742d4cf54d8_BW.PNG
44c15893fedd846f0f503a7871a7775cade2a0d90987ff9651e5c742d4cf54d8_BW.PNG (2.34 KiB) Viewed 9488 times

Saved it as black and white on paint. (I know, decidedly low-tech, sorry.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

I can't decide if it would be annoying or great if the OTC would continue updating with new pics staying with #FEFEFE as black and #FFFFFF as white from now on. That would be difficult to watch, but most of us (I think) would have to rely on the OTT to be able to see what's going on.
I predict that the One True Comic will continue until the end of Time!

You did it BlitzGirl!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:One bit away from white... maybe we can still save Time if BlitzGirl gives LaPetite a new name!

Sharkbait! Ooh-ha-ha!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

Uh oh, I see that among the users flocking to the fora now is Robert'); DROP TABLE *;. I hope Great Lord Randall and His angels sanitize their inputs!
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

All I can think now is that, as this timeframe ends, all over North America bosses are going to be walking into offices to find their subordinates staring rapt at a blank white rectangle on the screen, maybe leaning in close and weaving back and forth. Reminds me of an ancient Dilbert where it has become impossible to tell the behavior of technophiles from that of babbling idiots.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

Well we're still here, so that's a good sign
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

According to a quick scan of the latest image, it is all 100% #FFFFFF. Anyone else see different?
Looks like my prediction was wrong. Ah well.

Oh ... and welcome BlitzGirl... um... we have been expecting you :-)
Seriously though, well done!
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:Uh oh, I see that among the users flocking to the fora now is Robert'); DROP TABLE *;. I hope Great Lord Randall and His angels sanitize their inputs!

Currently 201 individuals browsing this forum (148 guests in that total).

I guess this really IS a party! :D *waves to everyone*

Thanks, Kieryn!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I did my own adjustments to the most recent newpix, and came up with this:

Spoiler:

CHOMP! CHOMP!

I hope the Newname saved Time!
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

Ah finally find a way to visualize the picture myself on Linux:

Code: Select all

convert time.png -threshold 99.9999999% time_bw.png

(Way more simple than with gimp, and working thgough.)

EDIT: 99 was not enough
Last edited by XonqNopp on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Drakeesh

Postby Drakeesh » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:All I can think now is that, as this timeframe ends, all over North America bosses are going to be walking into offices to find their subordinates staring rapt at a blank white rectangle on the screen, maybe leaning in close and weaving back and forth. Reminds me of an ancient Dilbert where it has become impossible to tell the behavior of technophiles from that of babbling idiots.

I burst out laughing at that, partly because I can picture some of my engineers doing just that, and partly because I was doing it myself just moments before. Sort of like a Raptor trying to see through the window.
Sir Aheem, Defender of the Former Right Flag, Keeper of the Shards of the Shattered Right Tower

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

I think it's fair to say that the next newpix is the most anticipated since the beginning of Time.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Wolfdogbear

Postby Wolfdogbear » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:I think it's fair to say that the next newpix is the most anticipated since the beginning of Time.

Why yes, it certainly must be! :D Hello there, everyone!

Lyoug

Postby Lyoug » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

As promised, here are the freshly bumped first time posts that might have gone unnoticed between NP439 and my last post on NP444:

Spoiler:
(nothing new on NP 439 and 440)

Newpage 441
ajc wrote:Hello all. I have been following the OTC since I noticed the page had changed. I rid myself of a circadian rhythm years ago allowing me to follow the OTC and this thread day and night without trouble. Never has anything lured me away from the outside world as much as this. Lurking through the past until my arrival in the present has been as enticing as Time itself.
I speak to you now because moments ago I came across a discrepancy between the pngs I have manually saved and the automatically saved and "frozen" pages of the OTC. I would like to share my findings but the outside will shortly drag me away. I hope you will wait for me if Time has not, sadly, ended before my return...

PacMan wrote:Hello guys (male and female),

this is my first post on xkcd...

I was reluctant to register to this fora for quite a while (many, many longpix). But now I feel that time's running out. (Pun intended)
I have to admit that I haven't been a devotional member of the religion of the OTC, nor did I have such a strong will and endurance as BlitzGirl. I merely travelled through this needle-pulled-thingy like a stone skipping on the sea (which is big). But now I seek some encouragement and company among you, who have waited all the time.

I see that I am not the only long-time-lurker who feels that way. Probably many more will come.

If time will really end - I don't know. I sincerely hope that the voyage continues for many, many longpix more until one day my son (whose birth is scheduled for july) will wait for the next part of The Adventures of LaPetite™.

Newpage 442
CulturalGeekGirl wrote:I have been Waiting since the first day, lurking in the shadows, dipping into this needle-pulled thingy, but without the time to dive in fully. When I learned of Blitzgirl's quest, I decided to Wait for her. I would not register or post until she had caught up with the flow of time. Now she has arrived, just in... well, you get the idea.

Welcome Blitzgirl!

Whether this fade is a fade out or a fade in, a good Time was had by all.

Newpage 443
genera1 wrote:First post, thatmaynoteverberead.

Left it very late to add my hello, and goodbye to the thread of time. Have watched the comic, then aubronwood, and the thread since its inception. I was in the april fools day party. and then became part of the loopist sect. My friend at work was all for some big calamity for the ending of time. I have been traveling in china, and whenever I could get internets, I would check the updates. I enjoyed waiting for blitz girl. I was there for the appearance of lapetite mort all three times.

If I could post a picture, it would be of the Chinese pronounciation chart next tome for children. It has "ONG" and a picture of a clock below it. It is very appropriate for this thread.

See you next time (2)

bendarr wrote:Congratulations, Blitzgirl! If this were a movie, I'd be part of a cheering crowd. This is my first post, but I've been following semi-religiously :? since the first page. What a great way to spend a month, and here we are now, at the end of the thing that keeps slipping into the future. Thanks to everyone that made this needle pulled thing interesting.

heather99 wrote:Hi there. I'm yet another of the 'long time lurkers, first time participant' people. I'm also known to procrastinate a lot and turn up late very often, explaining why I took over 400 pages to get on with doing this. I read everything up until about page 200, and then sporadically from there. When I saw the fading, I thought I'd better get a move on and sign up to the forum already so I can say something before the comic (possibly) finishes. I'm really hoping it doesn't. It's been so awesome following this thing.

Oh, and hello BlitzGirl! Gald to see you here!

I'd send some croissant right from France, but manners (and my under 5 posts newbie status preventing me from posting links :) ) shall let me manvandemaan bring them first. His oven has been pre-heating for quite a while now after all.
EDIT: I seem to have messed up in my ketchup, and my neighbour manvandemaan has already brought a magnificent croissant!
Last edited by Lyoug on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Welcome, BlitzGirl!

I must say, this thread has amused me more than the One True Comic itself (hope that's not heresy). And I haven't read all of it yet. Please carry on.

The reappearance of LaPetite in the fog is most exciting, but I must go Outside now.

Cheers.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

Wow, a good many people about!
Not a surprise offcourse since this could be the End of Time and also it is the arrival of BlitzRandir!

Welcome everybody!
There are some Croissants in the back! and some cups of strawberryjam, for those who are/are not a Sandmason!
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

Wolfdogbear

Postby Wolfdogbear » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

Oh boy, I wonder where we'll float next! :D

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

Now that I've spent about 3/4 of todays worktime reading the needle pulled thing and waiting for the next frame, it's really time to go home, pull out the big iron (or what would have counted as one about twelve to fifteen years ago) and do some serious datacrunching...

Some things to tidy up here before I leave:
  1. Welcome Blitzgirl!
  2. Thanks to you all folks, the Readers, the Milliners, the Graphers, the Poets, the Lurkers, the Musicians, the Geologists, the Historians, the Linguists, the Imagicians, the Clergy, the Knights, the Archivists and the Whatnot (I hope I did not forget anyone), it's been a blast.
  3. Blast On!
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

foilman

Postby foilman » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

I'm still waiting for it.

Soup

Postby Soup » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

Just checking in before the End of Time...

Welcome Blitzgirl!
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

Still waiting for it. Also *girlysqueel* Blitzgirl! You're here! You're now!
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

Congratulations to Blitzgirl for finishing her epic journey through the OTT! Sorry for the late welcome, but I've been busy with my own mini-blitz catching up from the weekend :-)
Also, thanks for saving the tiny-treb, we may need it in whatever new frontier awaits us after the fade...
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

Prediction for LaPetite's cargo, a Rotavator to thoroughly destroy the castles

Prediction for the rightmost flag, it will be lost out at sea

Prediction for Time (it will begin to fade back in again but not until we've had several pure white newpics.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

Drakeesh wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:All I can think now is that, as this timeframe ends, all over North America bosses are going to be walking into offices to find their subordinates staring rapt at a blank white rectangle on the screen, maybe leaning in close and weaving back and forth. Reminds me of an ancient Dilbert where it has become impossible to tell the behavior of technophiles from that of babbling idiots.

I burst out laughing at that, partly because I can picture some of my engineers doing just that, and partly because I was doing it myself just moments before. Sort of like a Raptor trying to see through the window.

How about something more cuddly than a raptor? This is what I picture when I think of those of us still Waiting:
Spoiler:

Hello Lyoug, mikrit, Soup, cari.j.elliot, and Febrion! :D
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Now that I've spent about 3/4 of todays worktime reading the needle pulled thing and waiting for the next frame, it's really time to go home, pull out the big iron (or what would have counted as one about twelve to fifteen years ago) and do some serious datacrunching...

Some things to tidy up here before I leave:
  1. Welcome Blitzgirl!
  2. Thanks to you all folks, the Readers, the Milliners, the Graphers, the Poets, the Lurkers, the Musicians, the Geologists, the Historians, the Linguists, the Imagicians, the Clergy, the Knights, the Archivists and the Whatnot (I hope I did not forget anyone), it's been a blast.
  3. Blast On!

You are definitely more eloquent than I was in my previous post. On the other hand, it does sound like the long lost verse of Kermit the Frog's Rainbow connection:

One day we'll find IT
That OTC connection
The Readers, the Milliners, the Graphers,
the Poets, the Lurkers, the Musicians,
the Geologists, the Historians, the Linguists,
the Imagicians, the Clergy, the Knights,
the Archivists and the Whatnot and me
All of us under IT's spell you know that IT is probably magic

Cheers,

Ronald
Last edited by rvloon on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:46 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

tastony

Postby tastony » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

And so the last frame might appear at the stroke of midnight down here in Australia - a new day begins, perhaps?
I waited.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

Hi!!
Second post here. My first was held up in approval for awhile and a half. (When it did show up, it screwed up the page-popeness, oops)
Stayed un-comaed as long as I could, and then I awoke to rejoicing and sadness.
Biltzgirl is here (hip-hip-hurray; hip-hip-hurray; hip-hip-hurray)...
But the newpix all but white (sob).
But we must not lose hope that this is the very end of Time. At least we have the Time-wiki and this forum (which will attract New-posts for quite a while; I have not a doubt)
(Thanks to Lyoug For highlighting us first-posters for those busy in the present)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

THE END IS NEAR! RE-PAINT, RE-PAINT! THE KING DUMB OF HEY VAN IS AT STAN!

"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

maletero

Postby maletero » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

I've been following the OTC and lurking here on this thread since the beginning - 970(?) newpix and almost 18k replies ago! It was a pleasure waiting for it with all of you.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”