1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

buffygirl
Cardinal

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

caught up and now I have to leave.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

Now I am properly decoma-ing. I think my mum is putting some porridge on...
No dialogue from Cuegan yet but I anticipate some soon. Time to Wait for It!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

descor

Postby descor » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:caught up and now I have to leave.

At least grab a quick slice of cake on your way out!
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:caught up and now I have to leave.

Bye buffygirl, and may reality be fruitful for however long you're in it. I'll be in it at somepoint soon for sleep, but I have only one lesson on the morrow. Maybe I'll read up more of this thread. Or not.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
My madspace
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

dgbrt wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:1/1190 seconds? Oh, you mean 233.43 nanonewpix?

My calculation is giving me just exactly 233 nanonewpix. What I am doing wrong?

1 newpic is 60*60=3600 seconds

1000/3600 = 5/18 = .2[77] millinewpix = 1 second

5000/(18*1190) = 500/2142 = .23342670401494 Micronewpix = 233.43nanonewpix

Not sure where your rounding error comes in. 233nanonewpix is 2097/2500000 seconds. (difference of 457/250000seconds)

Edited to correct denominator
Last edited by SPACKlick on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

dgbrt
Location: Space, Milkyway, Solar System, Earth, Europe and finally Germany

Postby dgbrt » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
dgbrt wrote:

1 / (1190 * 60 * 60) = 2.3342670401493930905695611577965e-7 newpix

Holy shit, I did rely on an broken calculator at Fedora 17. It can not show more than 9 digits while there is still much space to the left.

I will look for something better...

htom

Postby htom » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:Ok, I am truly freaking out. Still 5 pages behind, have to leave in half a time-frame, hat-queue-mob is full, still working on BlitzGirl's hat..... missed BlitzGirl's party, the OTC is Moving Forward without me ....

So - my apologies across the board to anyone I have disappointed (including myself, I suppose).

WELCOME, BLITZGIRL! YAY!

You've been busy, so you have not noticed that the party is barely started, and will doubtless go on for another score of newpix. And, there's

BACON!

SPACKlick wrote:
dgbrt wrote:

1 newpic is 60*60=3600 seconds

1000/3600 = 5/18 = .2[77] millinewpix = 1 second

5000/(18*1190) = 500/2142 = .23342670401494 Micronewpix = 233.43nanonewpix

Not sure where your rounding error comes in. 233nanonewpix is 2097/25000 seconds.

The error is "1 newpic is 60*60=3600 seconds". This is an approximation, not a definition. Reality is that Outside measures are slippery and vary between newpix to newpix. I know of no reliable statistical analysis showing what even a good average value would be; on the close order of 3600 seconds at a guess.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Roia wrote:At this moment, unless they dump their bags someplace, it can't loop - Cuegan didn't have bags with them in the first frame!

Maybe they're going to the mountains to find the source of the River (small).

They could accidentally drop their bags before they find a new shore and, saddened at the loss of their bags, sit down to contemplate before beginning a sand structure...

I've been a loopist from a long time (nearly from the Beginning), but my belief has weakened. Not because of the bags, not because the sea disappeared, but because Megan and Cueball are learning right now. They're travelling, they're finding out what the world is and how it works. It would be awkward if two thousand newpixes from now they repeat those exact same words: "I don't know how anything works".

I'm still a loopist, probably mainly because of cognitive dissonance. I don't think Lord Randall will continue the Drawing of Time eternally. Maybe it will loop, but not going back to square¹ one.

¹ Oh wait, no. 553x395 pixels. That's not square one, that's rectangle one.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

htom wrote:You've been busy, so you have not noticed that the party is barely started, and will doubtless go on for another score of newpix. And, there's

BACON!

Minus semencancer, but with plenty of coffeeandiceicebaby.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Roia wrote:At this moment, unless they dump their bags someplace, it can't loop - Cuegan didn't have bags with them in the first frame!

They could accidentally drop their bags before they find a new shore and, saddened at the loss of their bags, sit down to contemplate before beginning a sand structure...

I've been a loopist from a long time (nearly from the Beginning), but my belief has weakened. Not because of the bags, not because the sea disappeared, but because Megan and Cueball are learning right now. They're travelling, they're finding out what the world is and how it works. It would be awkward if two thousand newpixes from now they repeat those exact same words: "I don't know how anything works".

I'm still a loopist, probably mainly because of cognitive dissonance. I don't think Lord Randall will continue the Drawing of Time eternally. Maybe it will loop, but not going back to square¹ one.

I am not a loopist and have never been, though I hold no ill will towards the looping believers. I was merely trying to point out a fallacy but then someone pointed out a fallacy in MY post, so I gave up. :P Have some cake?
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

woods

Postby woods » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Pikrass wrote:
Valarya wrote:

I am not a loopist and have never been, though I hold no ill will towards the looping believers. I was merely trying to point out a fallacy but then someone pointed out a fallacy in MY post, so I gave up. :P Have some cake?

I really really hope it does not loop, but I have a very strong hunch that it will loop. Either way I will not be sad, but I think an actual ending would be much more appreciated by the peoples of the OTT.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:It's been more decades than I care to count, and I still want to know, "What about Naomi?"

Oh. My. Randall. I have never heard anyone other than me and my siblings make that reference.

burpen wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
burpen wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Just remember: A thread with no flame wars. That's special. {Wackiness; no worse than a certain M*A*S*H unit...)

However two milestones ahead: 18000 posts; 450 pages.

Yes, but woefully off-topic for most of it...

Which reminds me: something something something blitzgirl

Something, burpen! :D

I can't help but feel you haven't read it all, or else you would know that often what seems off-topic from the Outside has a gooey on-topic center.
*goes back for more Party food*

You're right, I didn't, and I respect you for reading the whole thing, but I dunno... I feel like the thread went into an unnecessarily meta positive feedback loop about people reading the whole thread. And hats, and esoteric linguistic discussion. Maybe I shouldn't expect anything else from a thread that has been going on for over a month.

Well, to each their own, of course, but for many of us, the "Off-topic" posts are what made this thread come alive. All of the random, funny, weird, interesting things that fellow TimeWaiters have come up with over these many NewPages is what makes me feel like I know these people that I've never met. And because for some people the hats, religion, and linguistic discussions were an integral part of the thread, they were on-topic in a way. That's how I feel about it anyway. FWIW.

jjjdavidson wrote:
KarMann wrote:FWIW, I was pondering the slim possibility that the change to the White Era might in some way bring about a new Time of the Short NewPices, but that doesn't seem to be the case, yet. Halfway to the real question being answered, now.

Some tracks from the "White Era":

"Back in the OTC/T"
"#0b1aD1, #0b1aDa"
"While My Eyestrain Gently Weeps"
"Happiness is a Warm Monitor"
"I'm So NoComa"
"Whitebird"
"Pigxels"
"Why Don't We Do It on the Beach?"

This is too funny. And, that explains all the "off-topic" posts. People have been posting Helter-Skelter.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

dgbrt

Postby dgbrt » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

dgbrt wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
dgbrt wrote:

1 / (1190 * 60 * 60) = 2.3342670401493930905695611577965e-7 newpix

Holy shit, I did rely on an broken calculator at Fedora 17. It can not show more than 9 digits while there is still much space to the left.

I will look for something better...

OK, I found a better solution:
1/(1190*60*60) = 0.00000023342670401493930905695611577964519140989729

Application is called SpeedCrunch, I like Linux!

But 50 digits is also the maximum.
When I do need more I will do more investigations.

BTW: Next newpix is less than five minutes ahead...

descor

Postby descor » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:<snip>
This is too funny. And, that explains all the "off-topic" posts. People have been posting Helter-Skelter.

I think this may be the first Helter-Skelter posted:

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Presents? You mean...I get Present Presents? How exciting! :D

Oh, but first of all, I have some things in my pocketses, here:
*ruffles through vest's pockets*

◌ thyme
◌ a few stray gems from the past
◌ hugs and happiness
◌ piece of party cake in tupperware for jovialbard
Whistle of Temporal Harmony

I hope I got everything I was supposed to!

BlitzGirl! You made it! Huzzah! Nice work *yoink!*

Oop, sorry about your rotator cuff, but THE Whistle of Temporal Harmony IS MINE!!! Just in time too, as Megan & Cueball are lost in the discordant sands of time.

Now that you pass this onto me, it makes me an official Knight Temporal, Sir Lord Vader From The Planet Vulcan, and imbues me with the ability to blow the Whistle. Here goes nothin'... Whew smells like the inside of your vest pockets, maybe the cake didn't keep well...

*** A MIGHTY TOOT LIKE NONE OTHER RIPPLES ACROSS TIME LIKE DUNES ACROSS A TIMELAPSED DESERT (AND SOUNDS LIKE THE FIRST RIFF OF 'AEROSMITH'S WALK THIS WAY') ***

There. That should get Cuegan, or Megball (and tOTC) back on track!

But now, I must entrust this whistle to my past self, lest the Temporal Illuminati, which doesn't exist at all, gets ahold of it!

```~~**~* !whirly exit time ripple to page 293! *~**~~```

---Fade to white---and cut scene!

```~~**~* !whirly time ripple! *~**~~```

There, I seemed perhaps a bit confused, but isn't that just sooo past-me?! Heh, gotta love him.

Oh shit! I forgot the Knights Temporal Manual leaves out the operation of the Whistle for security purposes. Hmmm... Maybe if I leave a message for BlitzGirl at a key moment in the past, she can be the Whistle Bearer until I can figure out what to do...

```~~**~* !whirly exit time ripple to page 255! *~**~~```

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

When I first knew about the theories, long before I ever joined, I was a Loopist. But too much Time has passed for me to believe any more.

I believe that Time is really nice, but I haven't as much time for it as I like. I'm an Admirer Of Time. I do not think it the be-all and end-all of my life, but I love it all the same.

Wait for the next newpix, then go to bed. To tired to funtion. Or spell, aparently.
My madspace
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

Just realized an interesting thing about my chart -- the user searches are not exact -- they are looking at any part of the username.
This means you can do weird stuff like: http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/UserPostsByDay?users=a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z

Is this good or bad? Should I fix so that it only does exact username matches?
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

BACKWHEREWEBELONG...
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

The nepix has cometh. Good Night, guys! :D
My madspace

descor

Postby descor » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Just realized an interesting thing about my chart -- the user searches are not exact -- they are looking at any part of the username.
This means you can do weird stuff like: http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/UserPostsByDay?users=a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z

No, leave it. I like seeing the graph of all posts over time. What happened on the 20th-21st April? Quietest time on the OTT.

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Postby 314159 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

Hmmm, about 300 plus pages to catch up on since I last posted. That's a lot.

...But they're on the move! Who knows what will happen next?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

...and we're walking...and we're walking...and we're walking...
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

*sigh* And there goes the whistle again. Oh well.

I'm too tired to chase after it now; I have put off the coma for far too long.

But thank you everyone for the warm welcomes and the sizzlin' party! *sniffs bacon-scented air*

See you some longpix from now (after I re-catch up to the Present, of course)!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:BACKWHEREWEBELONG...

First Cueball isn't allowed to go to Toshi Station to get some power converters, and now that female R2 unit has a bad motivator.

*sigh* Life on a moisture farm just isn't as epic as his dreams...

moody7277 wrote:...and we're walking...and we're walking...and we're walking...

The trick is to keep breathing.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

SIGH.

Have you ever heard a friend saying "I know, this is wrong, but I will..." and felt the urge to shout "OHMYGOSH IF IT IS WRONG THEN DON'T, STUPID!"?
higgs-boson wrote:Time is fading away. Although Time Lord Randall is known for fooling all living on regular basis, [histrionic farewell snipped]

It's not just that I should have known better. I knew better. Cardinals, where were you and why didn't you shout aforementioned capital letters?

Oh, and hi Blitzgirl. I saw you arriving (I promised). It is nice to have you with us.

TheMinim wrote:When I first knew about the theories, long before I ever joined, I was a Loopist. But too much Time has passed for me to believe any more.

I believe that Time is really nice, but I haven't as much time for it as I like. I'm an Admirer Of Time. I do not think it the be-all and end-all of my life, but I love it all the same.

Wait for the next newpix, then go to bed. To tired to funtion. Or spell, aparently.

The problem with the common Looper: He will have to shoot his 30 years older self.
If The Great Timelord will loop, I stolepropose an intro as follows:
Robert Jordan wrote:The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legends fade to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:

I had a theory, many newpix ago, when the world was young and fresh, and trebuches were roaming the... earth?
Anyway, a theory that the OTC will eventually loop with its frames, however the TEXT will change with every loop. New text phrases will replace old ones, perhaps appearing in non-texted newframes or disappear from newframes that had text in them a long time ago.

This frame, for example, could have the text:

Cueball: "I'm hungry. What food do we have in the bags?"
Megan: "Food? I only brought bags. I don't know how bags work."

Actually, since people are no longer popeing every newpage like they used to, if might be fun to add a "WHITE" or ALT dialogue to every newpix.

Rules: No ALT dialogues for frames with actual dialogues in them.
It's about time.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Just realized an interesting thing about my chart -- the user searches are not exact -- they are looking at any part of the username.

This gives interesting results in itself; compare "girl" to "blitzgirl,buffygirl". (Who's the other girl?) Perhaps you could default to exact matches, but accept simple wildcards?

Couple of points about your "Credits" listing: The page formatting causes the sequence numbers to run off the left side of the window in Firefox. And could you add "Time of last update" and "Total posts" data? Thanks!
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Coma well BlitzGirl!!!! You deserve it!

I just woke from Coma. Good to see Time still exists! Wonder where they are going now.

Edit: I'm a bit Coma deprived right now
Last edited by Latent22 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:18 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:Sleep well BlitzGirl!!!! You deserve it!

Sleep? What's that? :wink:
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I'm getting the split screen, now.

(Thanks all! :D)

Edit: Is it too late to post this?
Spoiler:
White TimeFrame
(to the tune of White Wedding)

Hey little French girl, what have you done?
Hey little French girl, you're the only one!
Hey little French girl, be our Superman!
Hey little French girl, make Time what you want.
Hey little French girl, build on!

It's a nice Time to start again.
It's a nice Time for a white TimeFrame.

Hey little French girl, what's that thing you're with?
Hey little French girl, what is it you wish?
Hey little French girl, build on (oh yeah)!
Hey little French girl, be our Superman.
Hey little French girl, build on!

It's a nice Time to start again (wow)!

(Build it up!)

Take us back home!

Hey little French girl, what have you done?
Hey little French girl, you're the only one!
I've been behind for so long (so long),
I've been behind for so long (so long),
Thought I was you for so long...

It's a nice Time to start again (build on)!
It's a nice Time for a white Timeframe!
It's a nice Time to start again (wow)!

There is nothin' fair in this Sea.
There is nothin' safe with this Sea,
And there's nothin' sure with this Sea,
And there's nothin' pure in this Sea!
Look for something left in the Sea!
Build again!

Come on!

Never too late. Troubadour Blitzgirl does it again!

rmsgrey wrote:So, have any pixel-miners confirmed that the black is black and the white is white? That is, is it uniformly 0x000000 and 0xffffff apart from antialiasing?

I'm doing a lot of blind-posting, so apologies if someone else already came up with this idea:

Spoiler:
(To the tune of Black and White by Three Dog Night.) In the third line, I have an extra couple of syllables. It bugs me, but not enough to change it.

The ground1 is black.
The sky2 is white
And Megan and Cueball walk from left to right.

I'm glad there's black
along with white
To have it all fade just wasn't right
It just wasn't right.

And now at least, we plainly see
That Time goes on for you and me
You and Me

(repeat ad infinitum)

1 Whatever it's made of.
2 Which, when you think about it, is also big.3
3 Unless they're in a really really big building, and that's the ceiling. Like those huge casinos in Vegas, where the ceiling is painted to look like the sky.2

Ahhhhh! Infinite footnote loop!

Edited to say that of course about two posts later I saw StratPlayer's fine version. Well, they can be different verses of the same song, right?
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

I just ran a little script to compare the newpix that I downloaded as they appear, with the newpix that are now on the server.

We already know about frame 20, where Cueball's disconnected head was redrawn:

Frames 38 through 49 have not been redrawn, but apparently regenerated in a different way from higher resolution versions: the anti-aliasing is different. For instance, frame 42:
Let's zoom in on the details of the two versions:
ImageImage
The anti-aliasing is visibly lighter.
This is similar on these 12 frames. No further changes.

That's it: all other newpix are still identical to when they first appeared. (Excluding the documented problems that were resolved at the time by the Lord Randall.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Swein

Postby Swein » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

Coma time approaching, but first I think we need to strengthen ourself in our waiting with beer and sausages. It is taxing, you know, to watch somebody walk over an endless plain... 8-)

bier.gif
korv.jpg
korv.jpg (9.5 KiB) Viewed 9626 times
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Wait a second!

I think there's actually hidden information in the pre-fade colorspace "glitch"

Screen shot 2013-04-29 at 5.18.46 PM_01.png
original "glitchy" frame

Screen shot 2013-04-29 at 5.18.46 PM_02.png
corrected aspect ratio

Screen shot 2013-04-29 at 5.18.46 PM_03.png
level adjust

So what exactly is that supposed to be? The figure I've labeled with the red question mark is on the far lefthand side and clearly above the level of the rising tide, so it's obviously not debris from the collapsing castle.. so what (or who?) is that supposed to be??
Screen shot 2013-04-29 at 5.18.46 PM_03 copy.png
What the hell?

edit: ooh, it's La Petite isn't it.. and I think she's dragging something towards the castle
Last edited by chem1190c on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

descor

Postby descor » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I just ran a little script to compare the newpix that I downloaded as they appear, with the newpix that are now on the server.
Spoiler:
We already know about frame 20, where Cueball's disconnected head was redrawn:

Frames 38 through 49 have not been redrawn, but apparently regenerated in a different way from higher resolution versions: the anti-aliasing is different. For instance, frame 42:
Let's zoom in on the details of the two versions:
ImageImage
The anti-aliasing is visibly lighter.
This is similar on these 12 frames. No further changes.

That's it: all other newpix are still identical to when they first appeared. (Excluding the documented problems that were resolved at the time by the Lord Randall.)

mscha, you're a star. We ask and you deliver. Thanks.

ETA: I'm off to coma now, this party had still better be in full swing when I return. If somebody could have a drink waiting for me in the morning I'd appreciate it. You had better join the queue at the bar now, it's looking pretty long.
Last edited by descor on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

squonk

Postby squonk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

I don't think that Randall would go through this much trouble and not create a proper story with a proper ending.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

chem1190c wrote:Wait a second!

Spoiler:
I think there's actually hidden information in the pre-fade colorspace "glitch"

Screen shot 2013-04-29 at 5.18.46 PM_01.png

Screen shot 2013-04-29 at 5.18.46 PM_02.png

Screen shot 2013-04-29 at 5.18.46 PM_03.png

So what exactly is that supposed to be? The figure I've labeled with the red question mark is on the far lefthand side and clearly above the level of the rising tide, so it's obviously not debris from the collapsing castle.. so what (or who?) is that supposed to be??
Screen shot 2013-04-29 at 5.18.46 PM_03 copy.png

edit: ooh, it's La Petite isn't it.. and I think she's dragging something towards the castle

Yes. These frames were posted before the end of the white-tide. Look back at the forum for the clean version.
EDIT: P.S. I believe these images seem corrupted in other sites because, due to the fact that there were compressed in a different format (with only 16 colors instead of 256).
Last edited by Eliram on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's about time.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:*sigh* And there goes the whistle again. Oh well.

I'm too tired to chase after it now; I have put off the coma for far too long.

But thank you everyone for the warm welcomes and the sizzlin' party! *sniffs bacon-scented air*

See you some longpix from now (after I re-catch up to the Present, of course)!

Want me to catch it back to you?
Also, sweet black-white 2.5D dreams!
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

edit:

///please ignore///
Attachments
Screen shot 2013-04-29 at 5.30.58 PM.png
Last edited by chem1190c on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:17 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

dgbrt

Postby dgbrt » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

I can not resist to show you this advertisement from 1991:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5gFuX8HHJQ

And it's still not blocked in Germany. GEMA1 where you are???

1 - GEMA2 is trying to block every music and video content until they got money.
2 - Germans call them MAFIA

No joke, even some car videos from that recent Russian meteor incident are blocked because there is a radio sound in the background.

Edit: I'm Walking...
...and waiting for IT!
Last edited by dgbrt on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

Swein wrote:Coma time approaching, but first I think we need to strengthen ourself in our waiting with beer and sausages. It is taxing, you know, to watch somebody walk over an endless plain... 8-)

Spoiler:
Image Image

Bangers and beer. There's a meal to keep your strength up!
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”