1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

DrSamCarter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby DrSamCarter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Decoma-ing in this time zone -- and after such a momentous sequence of events in Time -- was also going to involve MANY newpages to read.

I am now caught up (again), and will allow myself sneak peaks every now and then during the day to keep up..

I must consume some cake/bacon/bagels (the awesome croissant is BlitzGirl's) and face the Dread To Do List TM. Thank you to the provedores; I offer lamingtons (cubes of sponge cake covered in chocolate icing/sauce and coconut) but I am not sure that I am delurked enough to be able to post pictures (and I don't have one that is guaranteed copyright free anyway).

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

edo wrote:438/458 NewPages

Ok, based on:
Jonas79 wrote:You did it BlitzGirl!
and
buffygirl wrote:BLITZGIRL! You made it! hat pending
and
jjjdavidson wrote:
Huzzah for BlitzGirl!
There's not a word yet
For old friends who've just met...
and finally:
BlitzGirl wrote:The number and intensity of these warnings frightened me; it was clear that the thread-dwellers of the Now believed the End of Time was imminent. I was not sure if I agreed with them, but I figured the least I could do was catch up with them

It seems that I have found the reason for being left in the past. Being passed by BlitzGirl, She seems to have arrived in the present, to much posting. (as is right and just)

My progress thus far has been negative, being now 20 pages in the past, but if that is the price to pay so that Her Holiness can reside in the present, I will gladly pay.

And maybe I can write a few more ancient texts while I'm back here.

Hey, quickly, ketchup!
We never know where we'll float next!
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

patzer wrote:[snip] there is now a wiki page for all songs created on the forum

Mine is called "your ong" and there will be a youtube video when I get a clean version of the piano.

edited out overzealous snip1

1 something a rabbi can't say at a bris.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

patzer wrote:Öŋ

Looks like I was wrong, just a break before continuing on their quest :(
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

So I coma'd when the whiteout completed, and was particularly stoked to see more action when I returned this morn.

Also - Prediction: At the end of this journey MeBall will return to the castle to find that LaPetite has either reinforced or fortified it (Could be anything actually, I couldn't guess at all what she was dragging into screen at the end of the fadeout).
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:14 pm UTC

What if the final frame can also be a stand-alone comic (with a famous clever satisfying Randall ending to the OTC story), with accompanying alt-text (whether the current one or something else), possibly with a reference of some sort to the Wiki. In that way, it could still be meaningful to future generations.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
VoronX wrote:Gee Willikers, all these hats has got me seriously jealous. Buffygirl, can I have one too? Should it be a Haida hat to match my sig?

Current Hat Queue Mob is full. I have added you to the phqmm*
*pre-hat-queue-mob-mob

Ooooh Ooooh! Perfect time for me to ask for a hat1! Once the phqmm is full, I would like to be added to the pphqmmqm2

1Does not actually need a hat, as my current avatar is almost entirely unhattable.
2pre-pre-queue-mob-mob-queue-mob

I've added you to the phqmm.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:What if the final frame can also be a stand-alone comic (with a famous clever satisfying Randall ending to the OTC story), with accompanying alt-text (whether the current one or something else), possibly with a reference of some sort to the Wiki. In that way, it could still be meaningful to future generations.

While I like the idea of a final frame that could stand on its own, I also like the idea that anyone going through the archives at some distant date in the future only sees that particular frame, with no context, or knowledge of all that led up to it. Its a lonely sort of idea, but I suppose that is also why I like old Western's and old civilizations.

FYI, love the hat and scarf combo you made for Blitzgirl!
buffygirl wrote:I've added you to the phqmm.

You most certainly do not need to provide me any sort of hat, my understanding is that you have quite the queue. Although I will not turn down anything, and have no love lost over my avatar changing. :) Thank you for your amazing contributions to the OTT already!
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

htom

Postby htom » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

There is no final frame. Well, there is, and we saw it, x0ffffff; what we are waiting now is the beginning of Time. They will loop (we will eventually get to the castle building) but someone coming on it decades from now will be able to have the same journey we've had.

All they need is what we have: time, and hope.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:...
I'm really curious if we will be debating the OTC with the same enthusiasm as now after a year, if the OTC will be still running - now I have really no problem to believe it.

One of the reasons that I have stayed with this needle-pulled thingy is that Timewaiters embrace the absurdity of #915 and are not at appalled that it refers to us.

...still catching up.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

htom wrote:There is no final frame. Well, there is, and we saw it, x0ffffff; what we are waiting now is the beginning of Time. They will loop (we will eventually get to the castle building) but someone coming on it decades from now will be able to have the same journey we've had.

All they need is what we have: time, and hope.

Dirty loopists

I like the idea of a final frame that can stand on its own - but it sort of contradicts the whole essence of the comic. Time doesn't just stop, it keeps going, forever, and we have to wait for it. We are waiting for it. We've waited for it our whole lives. Crazy as it may seem, maybe Randall automated it, somehow, to procedurally generate for an indefinite amount of Time. Or maybe he's actually drawing it, but either way, the idea of it stopping seems foolish in retrospect. We've thought it would end before, but it never did. World didn't end in 2012, did it? Comic didn't end after one month, either.

Overly optimistic? Perhaps. But IMO any other "outcome" contradicts the principle of the thing.

edo

Postby edo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:42 pm UTC

342/358 NewPages

BlitzGirl wrote:*stumbles out of Time vortex*

*blinks*

Wow. So this is Present Time, huh?

...Hi, everybody! :D

Hi BlitzGirl, welcome to the er, Future?
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

edo wrote:342/358 NewPages

*blinks*

Hi BlitzGirl, welcome to the er, Future?

Ahem...

Welcome to the WORLD of Tomorrow!!!

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:02 am UTC

I'm a meta-loopist - I believe the comic will end, there will be a lastpic, and everything will be, if not resolved, at least abandoned, but, in Outside terms, Time will seem to repeat itself - the comic page will return to the first frame and then proceed even unto the lastpic in the order ordained, though not necessarily at the same speed.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:13 am UTC

The journey continues...

In other news, my sig now contains an experimental Newpix-O-Meter. Since going to outside websites is far too inconvenient, I've moved the gong into my very signature. Of course, this means I'll have to continuously post for it to be of use to anyone...but that's only a minor setback. Also, it doesn't have fancy javascript or nothin, so it has to be reloaded to update the time.

In all seriousness, it's a little PHP script I threw together that draws a clock based on the current time. Top of the newpix is the bolded line at the top. Suggestions on interval? Right now I'm using the generic Outsider 12, but then outsiders also have 12 distance-units in a duodeci-distance-unit, so they can hardly be trusted.

ETA: For blitzer posterity:
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:16 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:17 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
I just ran a little script to compare the newpix that I downloaded as they appear, with the newpix that are now on the server.

We already know about frame 20, where Cueball's disconnected head was redrawn:

Frames 38 through 49 have not been redrawn, but apparently regenerated in a different way from higher resolution versions: the anti-aliasing is different. For instance, frame 42:
Let's zoom in on the details of the two versions:
ImageImage
The anti-aliasing is visibly lighter.
This is similar on these 12 frames. No further changes.

That's it: all other newpix are still identical to when they first appeared. (Excluding the documented problems that were resolved at the time by the Lord Randall.)

Hey mscha. Thanks for checking this for us! I was wondering when he did the regeneration of these frames. I have a copy of the frames from before and after he did the big timestamp hiding on the 22nd. Would be interesting if you could compare them to the frames you have. This may help tell us when he did the change!

Ok i've had a look myself and found that my frame from before and after the 22nd timestamp hiding are the same. So it seems these frames are modified very soon after they were released

I found your old link to your archive of files and checked the original file directly and found the following:

Original:
Create 2013-03-25T00:26:49+00:00
Mod 2013-03-25T00:26:49+00:00
profile sRGB

Updated:
Create 2013-03-27T06:42:46-04:00
Mod 2013-03-25T02:54:32-04:00
profile iCCPicc

This frame came out on the 26th but the create time is now in the future (27th) so we now have the time when he did this change (2013-03-27T06:42:46-04:00) Also the software he used changed or something as the colour profile or whatever has changed from sRGB to iCCPicc.

I would say that by the time you captured frame 50 he had made this update so frames after that were not effected. You may want to check your download time for frame 50 and compare it to 2013-03-27T06:42:46-04:00.

Edit4: Ok I've had another look at it looks like I'm wrong. I think what has happened is this: he was working on a batch of frames from 38 - 160. But these probably all had a colour profile of sRGB which didn't match his original 2-37 frames so at around the time frame 50 came out (26/3 4:30) he converted them to the same profile he was using so they would match colour gradiant wise. The time stamps are a bit confusing around here and its hard to know what happened exactly. I think the difference you see is just a different color gradient and the image is really the same raw values underneath.

Here is frame 42:
Attachments
Time42.png
Downloaded 24th
Time42.png (3.8 KiB) Viewed 8473 times
Time42.png
Downloaded 22nd
Time42.png (3.8 KiB) Viewed 8473 times
Last edited by Latent22 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:07 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:22 am UTC

Wow, more thread activity during my last coma + outsider-distraction (i.e. my job) cycle than I've seen in a long Time.
I have just caught up to the blind-frame (complete white-out), so it seemed to be a good Time for a blind-post. (I know that the sequence of (hashes|random identifiers) in The Book of Aubron continues past this point, yet I know nothing of the contents of the frames.)
There has been some discussion, of late, about the composition of the PNG image; so, to here is my dump of the PNG structure of the completely white frame. (This is all of the data in the PNG file, except that I snipped the compressed ICC profile for being a wall of hex data.)

Code: Select all

IHDR (13): Image header
  Width: 553
  Height: 395
  Bit depth: 2
  Colour type: Indexed-colour
  Compression method: 0
  Filter method: 0
  Interlace method: 0
gAMA (4): Image gamma
iCCP (743): Embedded ICC profile
  Profile: icc
  Compression: Deflate
  <snip>
cHRM (32): Primary chromaticities and white point
  White point x: 0.28199, y:0.29615
  Red x: 0.69308, y:0.30137
  Green x: 0.16537, y:0.70179
  Blue x: 0.12092, y:0.05247
pHYs (9): Physical pixel dimensions
  X: 45354 pixels per unit
  Y: 45354 pixels per unit
  Unit: Metre
PLTE (12): Palette
  b7b7b7
  ffffff
bKGD (1): Background colour
IDAT (262): Image data
  78 da ed ce 01 09 c0 30 10 04 b0 ab 82 59 7a 69 95 50 c1 83 ce c6 0d 12
  05 c9 49 89 b5 33 2d 97 4c 9e 5b e2 8d 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b
  8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b
  8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b 8b cb 0f 2e 93 16 93 d3 52 59 fb 03 63 7f 8f 68
tEXt (37): Textual data
  date:create
  2013-04-22T01:07:25-04:00
tEXt (37): Textual data
  date:modify
  2013-04-22T01:07:25-04:00
IEND (0): Image trailer

Browsers displaying the image differently is a result of their different handling/non-handling of the "gAMA", "cHRM" and "iCCP" chunks. IE appears to perform no colour-management; perhaps one of Chrome/Firefox is using the ICC profile, while the other does not support this and falls back to the gamma. Maybe cmyk can enlighten us further?
I notice that the number of colours in the palette is now down to 4; if it were not for the border, this could be 1. How lax it would then seem of the PNG format to lack support for 0-bit indexed images.
Much has already been said on the subject of the timestamps too, but I would like to mention some facts that are fresh (at least, they are here on page 447).
The compressed image data is supprisingly regular; this may be amusing to anyone who knows what compressed data usually looks like (I.e. random).
Unless I am doing something very wrong, the horizontal and vertical resolutions are 45354 pixels per metre. This means that the correct size for the image is just under half an inch across. What does this mean for Randall's plans? Will there be some future display of Time where each frame was this size? This scale would fit 1175 frames on a sheet of A3 paper (that's around twice letter size for those of you who use American paper formats).

I would also like to take this opportunity to welcome BlitzGirl to the present (although I am no longer there myself). I hope that somedaytimeframe I will be able to join her, what a wonderful Time that must be. I would like to present her with the final version of this chart, which is now titled "The Victory of BlitzGirl".
blitzvictory.png

And now, alas, I must coma. I think this is the first Time since I joined this thread that I have been forced to coma while remaining in the past. In fact, I am still further behind than I usually have had to catch up in total; the post-white timeframes must be a joyfull time indeed!
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

aeglaeca

Postby aeglaeca » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:39 am UTC

Wow, exhausted from catching up. When Blitzgirl caught up with the present OTT, she seemed to be going so fast she dragged it with her quickly into the future. Thankfully the posting rate has slowed enough to for Time to settle down, and give hope to those other stuck a few pages back.

Have to say, was very worried we'd get white pages forever. Very glad to see La Petite show up, though what is she dragging. I highly doubt I'm right, but it looks like she has a raptor by the tail.

Also, on the last image before white, it looks like the blurred edge of everything is white. I don't know graphics too well, but if one compares the final image with an earlier one, and sees the size of the blur, can the part of the image of La petite be similarly smoothed out? I feel like the current image makes it hard to see what's there, but a version with the blur back might make it easier. Just a thought.

EDIT: Are the last few fade pics on the wiki, but with the grey turned to black? I didn't find them there, but it would help understand what happened at the end of the fade.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:49 am UTC

This is not an official prediction (mostly because my record is definitely not 100% on that) but...
What if they are on a transparent mobius strip, that also has a non-synchronized time loop in it?
That would be interesting...
[image edited to fit forum]
Last edited by Kieryn on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:55 am UTC

aeglaeca wrote:Wow, exhausted from catching up. When Blitzgirl caught up with the present OTT, she seemed to be going so fast she dragged it with her quickly into the future. Thankfully the posting rate has slowed enough to for Time to settle down, and give hope to those other stuck a few pages back.

Have to say, was very worried we'd get white pages forever. Very glad to see La Petite show up, though what is she dragging. I highly doubt I'm right, but it looks like she has a raptor by the tail.

Also, on the last image before white, it looks like the blurred edge of everything is white. I don't know graphics too well, but if one compares the final image with an earlier one, and sees the size of the blur, can the part of the image of La petite be similarly smoothed out? I feel like the current image makes it hard to see what's there, but a version with the blur back might make it easier. Just a thought.

EDIT: Are the last few fade pics on the wiki, but with the grey turned to black? I didn't find them there, but it would help understand what happened at the end of the fade.

We can apply a blur to it but I don't think it will help you see anything more. There would have been extra edge bits in his original image but once he applied the #FEFEFE fading to the frame all the edge bits that were not black would be lost. we can apply a blur afterwards but we will never get anything useful back I'm afraid. You can squint your eyes and try and imagine but yeah.

Here is an example of a slight blur added
Attachments
blur.png
blur.png (6.87 KiB) Viewed 8409 times

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:03 am UTC

Funny story: I was reading TVTropes (yes, I went there by my own free will — shocking, no?) and a couple minutes ago I remembered of here, so I decided to check their article on xkcd. Finish reading the current one, search xkcd on the same page, and move to the next tab, which is… this one.

BTW:
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.

Purplepants77

Postby Purplepants77 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:09 am UTC

Oh man, this is insane. Now I (kinda) know how BlitzGirl felt. How did she ever do it?? Oh wait, thats right, I CAN ASK HER NOW!!!1

So, I am still in the past, but not by too much. People are just posting so often now its hard to keep up! I've been Blitzing all day and I still haven't overcome my deficit from this weekend! My post is getting long so I'll reply to some now, back from NP 453...

Spoiler:
Sciscitor wrote:Now that I've spent about 3/4 of todays worktime reading the needle pulled thing and waiting for the next frame, it's really time to go home....<snip>

Febrion wrote:Congratulations to Blitzgirl for finishing her epic journey through the OTT! Sorry for the late welcome, but I've been busy with my own mini-blitz catching up from the weekend :-)

This is exactly how I felt! I spent most of my work day reading this thread, but alas, there is much to read and the OTT moves almost as fast as a BlitzGirl!2

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:Sorry... I had to do this:

For those who remember, the relevance to this comic (in its raw form, not edited as above) was the grain of rice that tipped the scale in favor of my making an account to comment on this thread. :) Needless to say, I particularly enjoyed this one, along with the gazillions of other things you and so many other people have done to keep this OTT interesting.

And last, but *certainly* not least:
Spoiler:

*blinks*

BlitzGirl wrote:
White Newpix
(to the tune of White Christmas)

<snip>

YAY!! BlitzGirl made it!! Congratulations [insert many titles here] BlitzGirl! You rock! A lot! Its so weird3 having you in the Now4, especially since I'm not! But its like meeting someone in real life that you've spent years talking to over the internet, or hearing about in conversation. Um.. I wish I had thought of something to get you, but for now, I'll just offer you use of my couch. I don't think anyone else did that yet, and your feet must be tired. Image

Feel free to use the TV:
but I don't have cable, so you can choose from my selection of movies/games :)

For Blitzgirl I write
A haiku like no other

The next one's normal
but I'll finish this one first.
It only makes sense.

At Blitzspeed she zooms
flying much faster than Time
At last she arrives.

Bonus Track:

Follower of Time
BlitzGirl the devoted one
brought hope to us all

In non-specific-post related context. I'm really glad Time didn't end! For many many newpix I read and Waited, following as fast as I could, worrying the whole time. But I could not skip ahead, I wanted to Wait and worry with everyone else. As hard as it was, the relief of seeing the blackandwhitePic was worth it all!! I may have only started following this OTT a couple hundred Newpages in, but you guys really make it worth every minute. I *really* loved everyone's sentimental farewells at the signs of Time dying6 and all the lurkers coming out of the dark to post their 2 cents. You guys are seriously the most awesome and interesting group of individuals I've ever (not) met. And now we can continue to enjoy this adventure together! I might need to get an avatar so I can request a hat sometime in the future when I'm more worthy. Well, I have a busy time in the Outside coming up, so I'll finish Blitzing in about 24 Newpix. Until then,

Spoiler:
Wait for it.

1 Not really, as I will soon present to you my present location which is not the present as is presently the case with BlitzGirl. If you read this before continuing, I may have spoiled the next line of my post. Woops.
2 I'd say that if most readers here are moving at non-relativistic speeds then Blitzspeed is the equivalent of c in the Outside and the OTT is probably somewhere around 0.8c. Point being, its moving relativistically fast from my perspective!
3As mentioned at least once before, weird in a very good way!
4Which is still my future!
5The last line is off time traveling at Blitzspeed.
6Is Time a phoenix? If so, does that mean a Time Vulture's worst choice of prey and sworn enemy would be a Time Phoenix?
Still blitzing away and will be for some time.

Current Location: NP 1432
NP from Present: 891
Current Progress: 61.6%

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:17 am UTC

Hey BlitzGirl is back online again. You should be in a deep Coma right now girl!!!

Anyway hope you enjoy your new hat!

Edit: And she is now wearing her new hat :) And status says she is at 456/458
Last edited by Latent22 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

aeglaeca

Postby aeglaeca » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:18 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
aeglaeca wrote:Wow, exhausted from catching up. When Blitzgirl caught up with the present OTT, she seemed to be going so fast she dragged it with her quickly into the future. Thankfully the posting rate has slowed enough to for Time to settle down, and give hope to those other stuck a few pages back.

We can apply a blur to it but I don't think it will help you see anything more. There would have been extra edge bits in his original image but once he applied the #FEFEFE fading to the frame all the edge bits that were not black would be lost. we can apply a blur afterwards but we will never get anything useful back I'm afraid. You can squint your eyes and try and imagine but yeah.

Here is an example of a slight blur added

I figured that would be the answer, but thought there might be some neat trick others knew of. We, I guess we wait.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:25 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:This is not an official prediction (mostly because my record is definitely not 100% on that) but...
What if they are on a transparent mobius strip, that also has a non-synchronized time loop in it?

That would be interesting...
[image edited to fit forum]

So like a...mobius gif? Whose 4th dimensional looping point occurs at the same place as the third dimensional looping point, if viewed at a constant rate. Reminds me of the story of Wind and Mr. Ug. I wonder if Megan and Cueball will meet Ɔnǝqɐll and Wǝƃɐu at some point.

Edited for Mobius correctness

trolleypup

Postby trolleypup » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:37 am UTC

Caswallon wrote:Ooooh Ooooh! Perfect time for me to ask for a hat1! Once the phqmm is full, I would like to be added to the pphqmmqm2

1Does not actually need a hat, as my current avatar is almost entirely unhattable.
2pre-pre-queue-mob-mob-queue-mob

After thinking about it, I realized that I am both hatted and crowned in my avatar. :roll:
Last edited by trolleypup on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:37 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:... but then outsiders also have 12 distance-units in a duodeci-distance-unit, so they can hardly be trusted ...

Not all of them. Only those what haven't been metricated.

The newpix-o-meter is awesome. Perhaps it only needs binary divisions.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:39 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
I'm doing a lot of blind-posting, so apologies if someone else already came up with this idea:

(To the tune of Black and White by Three Dog Night.) In the third line, I have an extra couple of syllables. It bugs me, but not enough to change it.

The ground1 is black.
The sky2 is white
And Megan and Cueball walk from left to right.

I'm glad there's black
along with white
To have it all fade just wasn't right
It just wasn't right.

And now at least, we plainly see
That Time goes on for you and me
You and Me

(repeat ad infinitum)

Edited to say that of course about two posts later I saw StratPlayer's fine version. Well, they can be different verses of the same song, right?

Right. And I like your version! Great minds and all that... :) '
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:45 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Hey BlitzGirl is back online again. You should be in a deep Coma right now girl!!!

Anyway hope you enjoy your new hat!

Ah, the needle-pulled thing has completely skewed my coma-schedule, but I did get five good longpix in. I'll do some more of that tonight. And thank you - I do enjoy it! My hat has a flag all its own! :D And I have the Optional Boa! Thanks, buffygirl!!

Purplepants77 wrote:<snip>
YAY!! BlitzGirl made it!! Congratulations [insert many titles here] BlitzGirl! You rock! A lot! Its so weird3 having you in the Now4, especially since I'm not! But its like meeting someone in real life that you've spent years talking to over the internet, or hearing about in conversation. Um.. I wish I had thought of something to get you, but for now, I'll just offer you use of my couch. I don't think anyone else did that yet, and your feet must be tired.

Feel free to use the TV:
but I don't have cable, so you can choose from my selection of movies/games :)

Spoiler:
For Blitzgirl I write
A haiku like no other

The next one's normal
but I'll finish this one first.
It only makes sense.

At Blitzspeed she zooms
flying much faster than Time
At last she arrives.

Bonus Track:

Follower of Time
BlitzGirl the devoted one
brought hope to us all

5The last line is off time traveling at Blitzspeed.

Thanks for the haiku!
I don't have cable either
So don't you worry

Sitting on your couch
Sure is splendid; I needed
That after my trip!

Smithers wrote:<snip>
I would also like to take this opportunity to welcome BlitzGirl to the present (although I am no longer there myself). I hope that somedaytimeframe I will be able to join her, what a wonderful Time that must be. I would like to present her with the final version of this chart, which is now titled "The Victory of BlitzGirl".
Spoiler:

And now, alas, I must coma. I think this is the first Time since I joined this thread that I have been forced to coma while remaining in the past. In fact, I am still further behind than I usually have had to catch up in total; the post-white timeframes must be a joyfull time indeed!

Yay, thank you for the chart! I love it! Hope to see you in the Present Time soon!

SPACKlick wrote:It's a little bit funny this hill that we climb
It’s not one of those with sand that slides
I don't have much knowledge but boy if I did
I'd build sandcastles where we both could live
If I was a waiter, but then again, no
Or a girl who makes trebuchets and watches them throw
I know it's not much but it's the best I can do
My gift is my ONG and this ONGs for you

Spoiler:
And you can tell everybody that was your ong
the fade was quite scary but now that it's done
I hope you don't mind
I hope you don't mind that we left the beach
How wonderful time is with each newpic we see

I sat on the beach and tasted the sea
was chased down by blitzgirl and she caught up with me
and the sun hid what la petite’s dragging along
and made people like you think megball was gone

no excuse for forgetting cause here’s what you do
You see the book of aubron brings history to you
Anyway the thing is what’s on my mind
Is will we get to the river in Time

And you can tell everybody that was your ong
the fade was quite scary but now that it's done
I hope you don't mind
I hope you don't mind we no longer sit
and Megball marches on while we wait for IT

Wow! Lyrical ONGs are my new favorite kind of ONG! Awesome work, SPACKlick!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:46 am UTC

For the record: I finally managed to closed all TVTropes' tabs.
Couldn't read the xkcd one, unfortunately :cry:
Last edited by AluisioASG on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:10 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:49 am UTC

patzer wrote:<snip>
by the way there is now a wiki page for songs about the OTC created on the forum

Awesome. We'll have to round them all up.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:58 am UTC

So here I am Waiting for It... The Newpix, the meaning behind it all, the ultimate payoff of Time, or perhaps just another opportunity for a pun or irreverent comment here in the OTT.

Meanwhile, Megan and Cueball are on what appears to be a random Walkabout*.

And I wonder where they're going...

*Of course, another song reference -- can't have too many, can we?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:03 am UTC

Make sure add the song you're referencing to the wiki and/or spotify mix!
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:05 am UTC

Shelley LONG!!
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:08 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:*Of course, another song reference -- can't have too many, can we?

Indeed we can't. :)
"Walkabout" is going to be playing in my head for as long as Megan and Cueball keep walking, now.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:09 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Shelley LONG!!
Spoiler:

Hmm...famous actress with 1 emmy and 2 golden globes. The more you know.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:11 am UTC

Has anyone seen HAL recently?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:19 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Has anyone seen HAL recently?

Which one*? I think there's like 9000 versions of that username on these fora. :)

*But if you mean HAL9000, his last post was Wed 4/24, so he's been gone about a week 160 NewPixs, give or take...

ChronosDragon wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Shelley LONG!!
Spoiler:

Hmm...famous actress with 1 emmy and 2 golden globes. The more you know.

The Emmy I knew about, but I've never seen her golden globes... (did she ever do a nude scene?)

BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:*Of course, another song reference -- can't have too many, can we?

Indeed we can't. :)
"Walkabout" is going to be playing in my head for as long as Megan and Cueball keep walking, now.

Then my work here is done... :wink:
Last edited by StratPlayer on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:26 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:23 am UTC

Whoops!!! Double-post! Content moved to previous one.

Move along. Nothing more to see here...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”