1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Exodies

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:41 am UTC

Valarya wrote:180FLIPONG

edit:
Someguy945 wrote:It's like when the curtains close during a scene change. When the curtains reopen and the next scene begins in an entirely different setting, there is no reason to believe that orientation has been preserved.

Exaaactly.

Exactly not. When stick men attempt to walk in a straight line in a featureless landscape they vere off to the left (right) so the camera has moved around them by less (more) than π Randians.

EDIT: of course, I'm contradicting the post which this one is offering an alternative view to.

CONTINUATION OF EDIT: while I'm at it: it prolly isn't an exaggeration to presume Pope Helper is dead. We should have a funeral. Know that anyone who returns from the dead is a zombie.
Last edited by Exodies on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:42 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Rule110 wrote:It's been more decades than I care to count, and I still want to know, "What about Naomi?"

Oh. My. Randall. I have never heard anyone other than me and my siblings make that reference.

In my case, I think it was mostly me and my mother. It never really caught on with my brother, I think.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:43 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
edo wrote:BlitzGirl BlitzGirl, BlitzGril BlitzGirl!

I didn't know she had a grill. I might check it out someday. What does she serve? :)

Ooh, is that a new restaurant? I might have to try it out. I hope the Waiters are of the highest caliber.

BlitzGril sounds like a great restaurant!

Don't need to go to a restaurant, you can have your own grill!
Barbecue Blitzgril

edo

Postby edo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:44 am UTC

Ahh the present.

ChronosDragon wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
edo wrote:BlitzGirl BlitzGirl, BlitzGril BlitzGirl!

I didn't know she had a grill. I might check it out someday. What does she serve? :)
Ooh, is that a new restaurant? I might have to try it out. I hope the Waiters are of the highest caliber.

I'm not going to fix it now, that's for sure.

By the way the latest URL: https://sslimgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/4a ... 4a6d70.png
I've had intermittent results. don't no why it's on an ssl server anyway.

and with that I coma.
Last edited by edo on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:49 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Edit: Or maybe it takes so long because the chefs first go back searching though and documenting your history until they know exactly what food you should have and why. So instead of you picking something to eat they go off and do the research and eventually (maybe weeks later) they catch up to you in the present and give you the most amazing and insightful meal of your lives!

Exactly what it is is escaping me, but I swear there's a fictional setting with a barkeep that does this.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:50 am UTC

Back from the outside (aka las vegas). I don't think I can manage even the minor feet of Blitzing just the last 3 days of posts I missed. It seems that I am a man of the present, and not of all Time. Oh well. My reaction to the few things that I did catch up on...

Yay BlitzGirl!
Yay Time not Ending! (what a sad fade, still I'm sure the destruction fade-out was far more depressing at 1 frame/hour rather than 1 frame/second)
Yay cake! (nom nom nom)
Yay coma time.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:51 am UTC

Page 406/460. Being dragged away... halp! Time to break for a bit. I need to update the quotes wiki anyway, I have enough to fill my entire tab-bar...

Having seen more sigs congratulating BlitzGirl on making it to the present, I've changed my own. Congrats, oh most mighty Traveler of Time!

tman2nd wrote:Psst... Phoenix. The Loopists were wrong.

WOO! Sig-messages! Now I know a little of how BlitzGirl felt. How cool!

And yay for an ongoing, non-looping comic! No cheating for me this time.

azule wrote:Time for a footnoteless` somewhat friendly commaless comaless rant for the middle of the night USA Time.
What do I love about this thread? Hah it's my only thread I comment in right now. It's like asking what do I love about my home. "It keeps the weather out of my eyes." I guess this keeps most of the fora weather out of my face. Nice people. Even Davidy was pretty nice. He gave us movie references called us inane (a fun word). It's like a fun house mirror or the magical mirror that talks. Now we know what we really look like. Only real friends tell you that you look like shit and need to brush your teeth. Thanks bros. The top posters are fun (hehe I'm gonna put you posters on my wall :twisted: ) but the onesies are fun too. I hope the popular kids like me but the newbs approval is almost a bit better. They don't respond much so it's nearly more meaningful to hear their comments on your comments on the popular kids comments. I think it would be cool to have a posse of them. If any yung'ins want to be in my posse let me know and I'll hook you up in my sig. Cool kids are allowed to join too. If no one joins that's okay I like imaginary posses anyways. :cry:

`The less footnotes, the less it is a word. Bad Firefox, no more cookies for you!

Sure, I'll join you! All the more so since it doesn't look like you've got anybody else atm - I'm at my strongest in a small group but fade easily in a larger one (as evidenced by my what, 60-someodd posts in a 500-page thread. The river is small, the sea is big indeed!)
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:53 am UTC

They speak! Woot!!

Maybe they're playing Minecraft. With some fancy tidal mod.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ericm301

Postby ericm301 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:55 am UTC

Ok, no more lurking for me. I have finally been dragged through the sand and into the Light of Time...
I was initially intrigued by the day at the beach, and the ominous, "Wait for it."
I thought, "Well, I'll check back later.."
Much to my surprise, a new image had replaced the couple sitting at the beach. I had no clue as to the gravity of the situation, had no idea of the Way of the OTC, or even the OTT, that it even existed.
I was but a simple fan of an internet comic, unprepared for the the larger dimensions hitherto unimagined.
Curious, I scanned my network traffic, and saw that, for the duration of the, then-current, browser session, I could see that the newpics had appeared at regular intervals.
But, fear crept in... I had only a small slice of Time! How to find the Missing newpix1? I could keep my browser open and it would faithfully store each new permutation (thanks, Chrome!), but, I feared that Lord Randall, as I now know him, would not be forthcoming with the past, since I had ignored his command: "Wait for it."
In Time, I discovered the Forum, and the Meaning of Time, through the Pages of the OTT2.
And, since our couple has started on a Journey3, I believe it is Time for me to, also.
May I join your rabble group, and partake of the Quest4?
I would ask for a hat5, but I don't have an avatar to adorne, as of yet. That, I think, I must remedy. While I Wait6.
Now, I will coma, which I take to mean sleep in OutsiderSpeak (I hope), and when I arise, perhaps my posting privileges will have been granted, and I will copy this to my next post.
1Please forgive my n00bian attempts at the jargon. I will learn. In Time.
2Are we actually going to make it to 20k posts?
3The Walk, or the Adventure, or the Search? Take your pick.
4To find the Meaning of Time. And hats.
5See Note 4.
6It's what we do.
1See note 1. Or don't, if you recognize an infinite loop when you see one.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:56 am UTC

edo wrote:By the way the latest URL: https://sslimgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/4a ... 4a6d70.png
I've had intermittent results. don't no why it's on an ssl server anyway.

Because I use the HTTPS Everywhere add-on, and it automagically uses the HTTPS URL. And sometimes I remember to remove the 's' and the 'ssl', and sometimes I don't.
Added: I know at least one of the servers represented by c.xkcd.com is down or comatose, generally unresponsive. That might be related to your "intermittent results".
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

AK49BWL

Postby AK49BWL » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:01 am UTC

Okay I'll be honest, I'm stuck back on NewPage 458, mini-Blitzing to the present but I have to post....

WELCOME TO THE PRESENT, BLITZGIRL!!!

It's good to see you! Now my sig needs an update... And all that food has made me incredibly hungry :lol:

Also, I'm so happy to see the end of Time was not to be :D

I'll finish readingmini-Blitzing, but since I'm here, I'll go ahead and GOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG..........1

1: and hope I don't get ninja'd....
Follower of the One True Comic

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:06 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:Keep going Vytron! And anyone else who is traveling through time.

Spoiler:
Beware of the Rest Stop Imperpetuate and don't use time machines!

Thanks! Whoa! Now receiving messages back in time via a signature! For a moment I almost thought about editing my sig to answer, but soon realized that wasn't necessary :mrgreen:

Still at Apr 04, 2013 5:05 am [Page 231 - The one with quotes from 2001: A Space Odyssey, and references to The Iron Giant and Studio Ghibli Films, remember those times?]. And this means the thread has slightly accelerated, wondering if there's some Important Event™ that will cause it (resists urges to cheat).

Also, how much am I behind Blitzgirl? She was 130 pages behind when the past was the present. Assuming she reads faster than me she's about to reach page 400, or she caught up already and it'll take me a long while to notice.

EDIT - Oh wait

PhoenixRising's signature wrote:C'mon Blitzgirl, you got this!! Yay, you made it! My turn now...

Ah, well done Blitzgirl!

Oh, wait, hold on...

buffygirl's signature wrote:BLITZGIRL! You made it! hat pending

Oh yeah! I remember those pink letters in buffygirl's signature, so they appeared when Blitzgirl made it - and I didn't realize until now! :O Already old news!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:10 am UTC

dgbrt wrote:But 50 digits is also the maximum.
When I do need more I will do more investigations.

I often use Frink for arbitrary length numbers. It amuses me, and works on almost anything. Just to throw it out there.

Valarya wrote:
patzer wrote:<snip>
by the way there is now a wiki page for songs about the OTC created on the forum

Awesome. We'll have to round them all up.

Will that turn 4:33 into 5:00?

juliancolton wrote:I love how Megball can live, work, and play together for so long and only speak when they have something important to say. I don't know anybody who can walk with a friend or relation and not ramble endlessly. Props to Megball.

Perhaps we only see frames with relevant comments. Private conversation is hidden in missing newpix.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:11 am UTC

descor wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:life1

1 An Outsider term for the span of a human's existence when it is spent not involved in the One True Thread of the One True Comic.

Who would want a life??

Hence the colloquial curse used against someone one thinks beyond redemption - get a life.

Icalasari

Postby Icalasari » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:11 am UTC

Screw it I want to make a song parody of this now

Spoiler:
To the tune of Don't Stop Believin'

Don't Stop Refreshin'

Just a small beach girl
Swimmin' in a lonely world
She worked that wet beach sand into a cas-tle
Just a stick man boy
Born and drawn online, so coy?
He worked that wet beach sand into more cas-tles
An artist in a 'puter room
A smell of ink and sounds of Doom
For a laugh he put up 'mic Time
It goes on and on and on and on
Readers waiting
Up and down these fair forums
Their fingers clickin' in the night
Night owl people
'freshin' just to find emotion
Hiding in their rooms all night
The Time Comic is my "fill"
XKCD gives a thrill
Payin' anything to read it all just one more time
Some will save, some will read
Some will just follow the lead
Oh, the comic never ends
Readers waiting
Night owl people
Don't stop refreshin'
Hold on to that feelin'
Night owl people
Don't stop refreshin'
Hold on
Night owl people
Don't stop refreshin'
Hold on to that feelin'
Night owl people

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:17 am UTC

Dilbert has a white frame today...

Edited for direct link.
Last edited by Sciscitor on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:27 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:<snip/>I am feeling much better now. The hats will come when they come, if they come.
And now it's comatime.<snip/>

Relax, have some tea, focus on the Real world if you need to, we will be right here, waiting for it. Remember, that despite our predilections to the dramatic and silly, this is entirely for entertainment! :) We appreciate your efforts and think you are amazing!
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:28 am UTC

BlitzGirl, I've wanted to congratulate you, but it's taken me all day to catch up on the last days' posts. Well done! And with style to boot!

And this is quite cool:
spamjam wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Don't need to go to a restaurant, you can have your own grill!
Barbecue Blitzgril

I was too late for your party, but maybe I can make you a nice steak on Spamjam's grill sometime?

A random needle-pulled question: there's the cool map for user's locations. Is there an easy way to poll our ages? It seems like we have quite a range here. I'm always amused at my assumptions when someone who posts like a patriarch reveals himself to be a student, or when a poster of youthful exuberance cites an ancient cultural reference. We seem to be a very mixed bunch, and also with a high stereotype-defying factor enhancing that mixedness.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:47 am UTC

Roia wrote:At this moment, unless they dump their bags someplace, it can't loop - Cuegan didn't have bags with them in the first frame!

Maybe they're going to the mountains to find the source of the River (small).

Although I'm not a Loopist, I can help them out here - the bags are dropped just before they enter the Beach of Eden, and it is to the Tardis like bags that Megan and Cueball return to collect flags, scaffolding, ropes, mystery buckets etc.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:53 am UTC

TheMinim wrote:LaPetite is lonely, while Cueball and Megan have their fun. Megan is one of my favorite girl's names. LaPetite wants to join in and say some really cool stuff, but her limitations and social anxiety means all she feels she can do is watch. Cueball and Megan don't notice her. She either goes completely crazy and kills them both, just gets on with her life, or Megan and Cueball invite her to join them.

Or they all get killed in a meteor strike after riding dinosaurs through the time warp.

Or maybe I just want to say something cool. :lol: :lol:

LaPetite is Looby Lou. All those who remember Andy Pandy ask your nurse to raise your hand.

EDIT: strewth, guys. I gave you 6 minutes to post but you just sat twiddling your thumbs causing me to double post. Thanks a bunch.
Last edited by Exodies on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:55 am UTC

ggh wrote:BlitzGirl, I've wanted to congratulate you, but it's taken me all day to catch up on the last days' posts. Well done! And with style to boot!

And this is quite cool:
spamjam wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Don't need to go to a restaurant, you can have your own grill!
Barbecue Blitzgril

I was too late for your party, but maybe I can make you a nice steak on Spamjam's grill sometime?

A random needle-pulled question: there's the cool map for user's locations. Is there an easy way to poll our ages? It seems like we have quite a range here. I'm always amused at my assumptions when someone who posts like a patriarch reveals himself to be a student, or when a poster of youthful exuberance cites an ancient cultural reference. We seem to be a very mixed bunch, and also with a high stereotype-defying factor enhancing that mixedness.

Well, I'm 17.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:57 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Now I am properly decoma-ing. I think my mum is putting some porridge on...
No dialogue from Cuegan yet but I anticipate some soon. Time to Wait for It!

I bet your mum looks good in porridge.

AK49BWL

Postby AK49BWL » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:00 am UTC

LONG...

Follower of the One True Comic

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:04 am UTC

Are we going to have to make our own version of "Click and Drag" from this comic eventually??? Just so we can map out where they have walked

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:05 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Dilbert has a white frame today...
Spoiler:

Yes. couldn't help grinning, too.

Sooo.... what other punchline did The Time Lord hide in the whiteout?
Today, I am biased against loopism. In fact I believe Megan and Company will return to their castle (later, much later) and a surprise is waiting for them.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:07 am UTC

Woohoo, this train has free wifi! I'm actually behind by a few newpages, but I'm not used to read the forum with my phone so I will read them later. I just wanted you to know that your Cardinal is still waiting for it and won't disappear again as the last time. (Even if I will leave again soon for a while)
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:10 am UTC

ggh wrote:A random needle-pulled question: there's the cool map for user's locations. Is there an easy way to poll our ages? It seems like we have quite a range here. I'm always amused at my assumptions when someone who posts like a patriarch reveals himself to be a student, or when a poster of youthful exuberance cites an ancient cultural reference. We seem to be a very mixed bunch, and also with a high stereotype-defying factor enhancing that mixedness.

Here you go
(I'm 15)
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:12 am UTC

SPACKlick wrote:Edited to correct denominator

How's that make a denominator feel? - Todd Rundgren

Clix

Postby Clix » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:16 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:"The Walk" seems appropriate to me, at least thus far.

They have bags though - isn't it more of a hike?

Neither a walk nor hike this seems to me, more of a trek edging on an odyssey.

Of course it could end up being a slog, but that's the pessimist in me.
People need panic...panic in regular draghts. I read about the governments of the world, and I panic daily. It's a heart pumping workout that keeps my cheeks rosy and my vision crystal clear.
Thorax:Pigborn (Brooke McEldowney)

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:19 am UTC

I love all of the ideas for my new restaurant! And yes, it will be staffed by TimeWaiters. :D
Plus this, I can't believe this is a REAL THING:
spamjam wrote:Image
Barbecue Blitzgril

Happy to see that Vytron is learning of sigcouragement there in the past! Good luck, fellow wanderer!
And thanks, ggh!

Icalasari wrote:Screw it I want to make a song parody of this now

Spoiler:
To the tune of Don't Stop Believin'

Don't Stop Refreshin'

Just a small beach girl
Swimmin' in a lonely world
She worked that wet beach sand into a cas-tle
Just a stick man boy
Born and drawn online, so coy?
He worked that wet beach sand into more cas-tles
An artist in a 'puter room
A smell of ink and sounds of Doom
For a laugh he put up 'mic Time
Readers waiting
Night owl people
The Time Comic is my "fill"
XKCD gives a thrill
Payin' anything to read it all just one more time
Some will save, some will read
Some will just follow the lead
Oh, the comic never ends
Readers waiting
Night owl people
Don't stop refreshin'
Hold on to that feelin'
Night owl people
Don't stop refreshin'
Hold on
Night owl people
Don't stop refreshin'
Hold on to that feelin'
Night owl people

*cheers* I love the music of Time!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:27 am UTC

Qalyar wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Edit: Or maybe it takes so long because the chefs first go back searching though and documenting your history until they know exactly what food you should have and why. So instead of you picking something to eat they go off and do the research and eventually (maybe weeks later) they catch up to you in the present and give you the most amazing and insightful meal of your lives!

Exactly what it is is escaping me, but I swear there's a fictional setting with a barkeep that does this.

May have already been picked up but
Spoiler:
season 1 bones, sid's asian restaurant sort of works that way

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:34 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:So I reluctantly went on with my day trying to keep my panic at bay and Waiting for the couple of free hours I knew I had in afternoon to ketchup, which I used accordingly, then had to rush off again, stomach still wound up because I had only barely managed to catchup. Also, there were several very important outside things I had been neglecting that were about to explode and I couldn't decide on my priorities.

I did not feel right with myself until I had q) bestowed BlitzGirl's hat upon her, r) caught up, s) seen the post-fade TimeFrames and reassured myself that Time had not come to an end, t) paid quarterly taxes, u) fed the cats, v) pilled the cats, w) returned client phone calls, and x) a few other things I can't remember any more. Oh right, y) eaten.

I thought y) was covered by the ketchup?
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:54 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
Okay, I'm a little freaked out now. No, I'm a lot freaked out.

Everybody's wondered, How did Randall generate the hashes? I thought about Externalities and the hash everyone was trying to break there, a Skein 1024 1024 hash.

But that's a 128-byte hash (256 hex digits) and the file names are only 32-byte (64 digits). But then I thought, Would it be so un-Randallish to generate a 1024-bit hash and only use 256 bits? So I wrote a script to test the Externalites hash against the Time image folder, taking 64 hex digits at a time for the image name. 192 failures, then this, with the very last 64 digits of the hash.

I don't know how many frames in the future this is, but here's:
b567aa3e2390a573a373a48a5e676640c79cc70197e1c5e7f902fb53ca1858b6.png
So you see why I'm freaked out.

Edit: 192 failures, not 184. Duh.

Maybe this will be the End of Time... The only way we will find out is to... wait for it!
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:05 am UTC

TIMEMARCHESONG
What are they doing to their bags?
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:07 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:What are they doing to their bags?

Time to eat something?
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

CatHectic

Postby CatHectic » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:23 am UTC

jovialbard wrote:Back from the outside (aka las vegas). I don't think I can manage even the minor feet of Blitzing just the last 3 days of posts I missed. It seems that I am a man of the present, and not of all Time. Oh well. My reaction to the few things that I did catch up on...

Yay BlitzGirl!
Yay Time not Ending! (what a sad fade, still I'm sure the destruction fade-out was far more depressing at 1 frame/hour rather than 1 frame/second)
Yay cake! (nom nom nom)
Yay coma time.

But jovialbard, you're our only hope! There's an entire new wiki-page full of freshly-grilled songs, with no one to sing them! Can you help us?
Your Larghissimographer, collector of the xkcd Time Travel Mix

Keep going, BlitzGirl the Next (that's you, Vytron! And you too, edo!): remember, tempo rubato, tempo di fulmineo! Please keep sending us news of your progress, with all your blitz class and blitz style...

Swein

Postby Swein » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:25 am UTC

Clearly time for breakfast!

frukost.jpg

[EDIT] Yay! I'm on the top! :mrgreen:
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:31 am UTC

Very British. It's okay and tasty now and then, but does not work well as an every-day-breakfast.
At least, for me. There's a big island of people who seem to do quite fine with.

Should we stress the issue about there location a bit more?
Do we know any sea ...

- landlocked or at least as-good-as landlocked
- one well-known river leading in.
- river known to carry different water level
- sea known for different water levels (but not tide)
- sea water salty or at least very untasty (although Cue had had worse)
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:34 am UTC

Clix wrote:
***nested quote snip***

Neither a walk nor hike this seems to me, more of a trek edging on an odyssey.

Of course it could end up being a slog, but that's the pessimist in me.

1190, A Time Odyssey?

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:38 am UTC

XonqNopp wrote:
tman2nd wrote:What are they doing to their bags?

Time to eat something?

Lunchtime.
(Although, like Ford said: "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so")
I wait for it, therefore I am.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”