1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

StratPlayer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

OK, just one last one and then I'll quit for several Newpixs... ...maybe.

But, dammit!!! I just thought of what would have been the perfect song to commemorate the moment when the OTC re-emerged from the Fading:

"Back in Black"
(and, of course, sung to the tune of "Back in Black" by AC/DC)

Back in black,
and it's a fact!
It's been too long, and I'm glad it's back!
M & C are loose,
and the background's been reduced;
Maybe the castle's under semencoffeejuice?
We can see the sky!
And I wanna cry,
So glad that Time didn't die!
It's got nine lives,
and it still thrives,
like a snowman voiced by Burl Ives!

Yes, it's back; Well, it's back! Uh-huh, it's back!
Yes, it's back! Well, it's ba-aa-a-ack, ba-aa-a-ack!
Woot! It's back in black!
Yes, it's back in black!

Back in black,
sharp, like a raptor attack!
Keeps on going like a dylithium power-pack!
Here with my gang,
with the songs all sang,
we were rejoicin' when that new GONG rang!
Now we'll build the stack
of Newpage brick-a-brac,
talking 'bout whatever, without no flak.
'Cause Time has stayed
for another day,
We're so geeked it didn't fade away!

Yes, it's back; Well, it's back! Uh-huh, it's back!
Yes, it's back! Well, it's ba-aa-a-ack, ba-aa-a-ack!
Woot! It's back in black!
Yes, it's back in black!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

They're looking at us again.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Spoiler:
patzer wrote:
ggh wrote:A random needle-pulled question: there's the cool map for user's locations. Is there an easy way to poll our ages? It seems like we have quite a range here. I'm always amused at my assumptions when someone who posts like a patriarch reveals himself to be a student, or when a poster of youthful exuberance cites an ancient cultural reference. We seem to be a very mixed bunch, and also with a high stereotype-defying factor enhancing that mixedness.

Here you go
(I'm 15)

Perfect! Cheers! And thank you tman2nd, Eliram, CatHectic, cellocgw, StratPlayer and SBN for your data (I didn't know if you already put yourselves on this poll, so I didn't try to add you.) Looking at these poll results we do seem to be all over the show. I wonder if any trends will emerge as more folks vote. I wouldn't be surprised either way. The thing I am pretty convinced of now is that age means very little to how folks come across on the OTT - in Time we seem to be timeless.

Also taking the opportunity to bump RobIrr's map again:

Edit: added names to my thanks, also
Ninja'd on the map bump, but I'll leave it for convenience in case anyone wants to bump the map and age poll at the same time.

Is there a zoom on that map? 5 from Luxembourg? That must be three quarters of the country.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

Lunch break (at least for those who are on the (US) east coast, which does not include me)

fatness

Postby fatness » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

To whomever is tallying ages1 here, for mine: Think Sputnik.

1 And yes I did place my entry in the poll.

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

It got crickets-levels of quiet in here.
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

CatHectic wrote:But jovialbard, you're our only hope! There's an entire new wiki-page full of freshly-grilled songs, with no one to sing them! Can you help us?

I've been thinking about doing another song, but I'm also in the middle of tech week for a show so I have no Time! If Time trudges on for many pix from now, then maybe there will be Time later for some Timely musicality.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

No offense, but I'm not digging knowing everyone's age. I don't think it's a big deal, just not getting used to it still. (Nothing inappropriate, age-wise, about posting here or posting content, btw.) Now back to our regularly scheduled post.

Last night was crazy. I come back, the posting has exploded, the sigs are spoiling, even the avatars are spoiling. I get the feeling the Fading wasn't the end. *spoiled* Find the hard transition back to black and white. *de-spoiled* The posts weren't small. Ten solid pages of remembrances, celeblitzing, and analysis. It was a tough dozen pages to get through. It's nearly a blur, sorry.

After those ten pages, it slowed down. I think this due to many regulars being stuck in the past. (see above^) Still slower now. At least I'll be denied less coma this way. hah!

silent_death wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:
Red Hal wrote:In this forum signal-to-noise ratio is, I feel, important.

It is, and it's not. I think the problem comes with worrying about it and taking actions to dissuade it. That then itself becomes noise and may actually discourage some people from making signal. Looks to me like, with OTT self-analysis, when people are allowed to ebb and flow (like the sea, yes yes) we get on track, but with a sort of Katamari Damacy style, picking up the many small "off-topics" and magically making it part of the larger "on-topic". I think this style of threading mimics real life a bit better than the segmented 1-thread 1-topic style. People have conversations that don't seem relevant which evolve into new topics which evolve into inside jokes or personal connections which then make the real topic (connections between human beings) much better and worthwhile.
/minor-rant

I agree, I also think that not strictly adhering to only saying what is absolutly important right at that moment the conversation are in the end more meaningful and personal for everybody involved.
It also helps in the end to keep the conversation on track, as it is very hard to focus on on topic for almost 500 pages.

[emphasis mine]
Thank you. I would add that the off-topic is in actuality on topic, just in a seemingly ancillary way.

Red Hal wrote:You will note, azule, that I did not specify what I considered to be the optimum signal-to-noise ratio.

Uhhhh..... So what is the ratio? Assuming you're saying that it's not high signal but more balanced, are you saying that you're choosing not to contribute when you see that the levels are well-balanced? Btw, the rant wasn't "aimed" at you, just the general "on-topic" dogma.

mscha wrote:
jjjdavidson at 9 minutes before ONG-time wrote:Oh, and PONG...
Spoiler:

I really think you shouldn't do that, that's just confusing. (Was the current newpix already posted? No, but yeah, but ...)
Just double post, I'm sure nobody minds in such a case.

Agreed!! Never edit a post with a timestamp before the hour with a newpix. If the post is after the hour, then go ahead.
Last edited by azule on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:I am stalky and creepy because I totally want to zoom in to my area and see who else posts from there.

Exodies wrote:Is there a zoom on that map? 5 from Luxembourg? That must be three quarters of the country.

Looks like I'm not the only one. :D

cari.j.elliot wrote:It got crickets-levels of quiet in here.

WorkOutside stuff, ugh.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

patzer wrote:Hi kieryn, I like that you've made a total posts option in http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/UserPostsByDay, but the total posts show all the time, cannot get a graph without total posts on it! is this an error?

(great work on all of the features on your site btw!)

You can click all the series names at the bottom to turn them on or off... so just click the total and it will go away.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

Ready to see what I spent my morning doing? Here you go! It's a Present Present from me to you!

Click Here for Larger Version

Disclaimer: I really, really wanted to fit as many posters as possible in here but my wrist is already limp as a noodle! I tried to mostly stay with still-active people since they're the ones most likely to see it. But there were still way, way too many for even a dozen of these! I still love you all equally, I promise!!
List of those I included:
Spoiler:
LaPetite
Angelastic
Latent22
Kieryn
(manip by cmyk)
KarMann
StratPlayer
azule
tman2nd
(whoever started the footnote thing)
mscha
patzer
Eternal Density
Helper (missing)
ChronosDragon
macraw83
cmyk
RobIrr
buffygirl
Dracomax
manvandmaan
Me (yeah, yeah, I know)
The Faded Sandcastle
Cuegan

Hope you enjoy! It was a lot of fun to make. :D One of the reasons I'm happy to be in the Now is that I can do things like this, where in the Past I was too busy Questing, reading pastposts, and writing signposts!

Edit: Oh yeah, the original: http://xkcd.com/442/
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote:It got crickets-levels of quiet in here.

I'm going to blame Outside work, Outside final exams, and lots of post-Fading-and-post-post-Fading-posts induced comas. I know I've had to cut back my posting a little thanks to the Outsider educational system and their silly exams that interfere with Waiting.

EDIT: That's awesome BlitzGirl! Nice work.
EDIT 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: That just makes me really happy to read and reread (or sing and resing quietly to myself).
Last edited by Goggalor on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Ready to see what I spent my morning doing? Here you go! It's a Present Present from me to you!
Spoiler:

Disclaimer: I really, really wanted to fit as many posters as possible in here but my wrist is already limp as a noodle! I tried to mostly stay with still-active people since they're the ones most likely to see it. But there were still way, way too many for even a dozen of these! I still love you all equally, I promise!!
LaPetite
Angelastic
Latent22
Kieryn
(manip by cmyk)
KarMann
StratPlayer
azule
tman2nd
mscha
patzer
Eternal Density
Helper (missing)
ChronosDragon
macraw83
cmyk
RobIrr
buffygirl
Dracomax
manvandmaan
Me (yeah, yeah, I know)
The Faded Sandcastle
Cuegan
Hope you enjoy! It was a lot of fun to make. :D One of the reasons I'm happy to be in the Now is that I can do things like this, where in the Past I was too busy Questing, reading pastposts, and writing signposts!

That is epically awesome :)

Just finished my mini-blitz return from Coma, and amazing to see that as the most recent post!

Edit: and now the song is stuck in my head....
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

On the newpix I've got to the end of page 78. Just thousands of posts to skim through!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
My madspace
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

HOPEFULLYTHISWILLBEMYFIRSTONG-ONG

Arky

Postby Arky » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Ready to see what I spent my morning doing? Here you go! It's a Present Present from me to you!

All of Time was worth it for that.

Legen-wait-for-it-dary.

(And not before time, because we're only just removed from the trauma of The Fade only to encounter the possibility that the OTC is reaching the point where it is about to loop and really is going to end... just as we're about to hit newpix 1000 too...)
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

Huh - they're sitting in a different posture and the terrain is rather different too - vaguely reminiscent of the dawn of Time, though, obviously, different in detail.

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

Spoiler:

[spoiler]LaPetite
Angelastic
Latent22
Kieryn
(manip by cmyk)
KarMann
StratPlayer
azule
tman2nd
mscha
patzer
Eternal Density
Helper (missing)
ChronosDragon
macraw83
cmyk
RobIrr
buffygirl
Dracomax
manvandmaan
Me (yeah, yeah, I know)
The Faded Sandcastle
Cuegan

Edit: Oh yeah, the original: http://xkcd.com/442/[/spoiler]

That's fabulous! Nice work!

Speaking of the Outside Internet-paying time, I'm there right now. I read while waiting for things to load/save/open.
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

Montov

Postby Montov » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

Spoiler:
LaPetite
Angelastic
Latent22
Kieryn
(manip by cmyk)
KarMann
StratPlayer
azule
tman2nd
mscha
patzer
Eternal Density
Helper (missing)
ChronosDragon
macraw83
cmyk
RobIrr
buffygirl
Dracomax
manvandmaan
Me (yeah, yeah, I know)
The Faded Sandcastle
Cuegan

Awesome.

But btw, did the landscape of the comic just changed while they are sitting? And doesn't it look like the landscape of the first frame?!?

htom

Postby htom » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
Spoiler:

Cuegan

That is epically awesome :)

Just finished my mini-blitz return from Coma, and amazing to see that as the most recent post!

Edit: and now the song is stuck in my head....

"Epically awesome". Yes, this.

... as we spiral towards a beach?
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

Oh, nff. Were the Loopists right? :shock:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Oh my Lord Randall! That is... soooo epic, I'm speechless. Amazing job! Someone MUST add that to the Wiki!

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Huh - they're sitting in a different posture and the terrain is rather different too - vaguely reminiscent of the dawn of Time, though, obviously, different in detail.

Looks like the “camera” did a 90 degree turn.
Also looks like the loopists might be right, the scene looks familiar to the starting point.
Last edited by mscha on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

Blitzgirl... that is so freaking amazing I just bounced up and down in my seat when I saw it. Indeed the entire Wait of Time was worth it just for that. *cries a little tear of happiness and high fighs Blitzgirl*

I am also a tiny bit sad that I didn't make the cut. But I'll live b/c it's so awesome.
Last edited by Valarya on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

Spoiler:

[spoiler]LaPetite
Angelastic
Latent22
Kieryn
(manip by cmyk)
KarMann
StratPlayer
azule
tman2nd
mscha
patzer
Eternal Density
Helper (missing)
ChronosDragon
macraw83
cmyk
RobIrr
buffygirl
Dracomax
manvandmaan
Me (yeah, yeah, I know)
The Faded Sandcastle
Cuegan

Edit: Oh yeah, the original: http://xkcd.com/442/[/spoiler]

Oh me yarm Oh me yarm This is totally awesome! LOVE it.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

pdg

Postby pdg » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:13 pm UTC

Montov wrote:And doesn't it look like the landscape of the first frame?!?

It certainly does. A *lot*.
We can't go back.
We don't understand everything yet.

fatness

Postby fatness » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:13 pm UTC

Arky wrote:

All of Time was worth it for that.

Legen-wait-for-it-dary.

Agreed. The talent represented in this thread is staggeringly huge. Bigger than the sea even.

Arky wrote:(And not before time, because we're only just removed from the trauma of The Fade only to encounter the possibility that the OTC is reaching the point where it is about to loop and really is going to end... just as we're about to hit newpix 1000 too...)

Seems so, doesn't it?

But wait! There's more!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Thanks, everyone! :D I'm glad you like it!

If the One True Comic veers off in a Loop now, I will be extremely miffed by never finding out what LaPetite was doing...
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:Huh - they're sitting in a different posture and the terrain is rather different too - vaguely reminiscent of the dawn of Time, though, obviously, different in detail.

Also looks like the loopists might be right, the scene looks familiar to the starting point.

I agree with the change in perspective, which essentially means they have been traversing along the coffeground/particleboard/debris/sand coastline.

However I don't believe it matches up well enough with the original coastline to be properly loopist.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Uh oh.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

Oh god Lord Randall. We're at frame #997 (if the Book of Aubron is right). Does that mean that...? No, I hope not... Well, we'll know four newpixes from now...

I'm so sad right now. :(
And Blitz's awesome image made me nostalgic already!
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

Spoiler:

LaPetite
Angelastic
Latent22
Kieryn
(manip by cmyk)
KarMann
StratPlayer
azule
tman2nd
mscha
patzer
Eternal Density
Helper (missing)
ChronosDragon
macraw83
cmyk
RobIrr
buffygirl
Dracomax
manvandmaan
Me (yeah, yeah, I know)
The Faded Sandcastle
Cuegan

OMR (or should I say, OMB), that is awesome, BlitzGirl! :o
Last edited by mscha on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Arky

Postby Arky » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks, everyone! :D I'm glad you like it!

If the One True Comic veers off in a Loop now, I will be extremely miffed by never finding out what LaPetite was doing...

Randall would need to create a second comic to tell her story. Time 2: Electric Boogaloo!
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

Here's a poorly thrown together comparison of the two frames (I just zoomed and cropped the current frame) so I don't have to flip back and forth between the two. It really is quite similar, but I'm not converting to Loopism yet! Time can't end!

edited for wordiness

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

I think I'm near giving up on catching up with the past of this thread. Or just need a break.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
My madspace
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

meerta

Postby meerta » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

Just one thing. They didn't have the bags at the start.

An illusion of a loop?

ctdonath

Postby ctdonath » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

Looped!

But how do ditch the bag? and where did they pass the kid?

SWO Crash

Postby SWO Crash » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

Spoiler:

BlitzGirl, that is one of the most singularly awesomest things I've seen in a long time. Well done!

Goggalor wrote:HOPEFULLYTHISWILLBEMYFIRSTONG-ONG

Loopists!

Caswallon wrote:However I don't believe it matches up well enough with the original coastline to be properly loopist.

If you zoom in some, and the bags go away, maybe?

meerta wrote:Just one thing. They didn't have the bags at the start.

An illusion of a loop?

Maybe they move them "up" the slope to a point we couldn't see in the first frame.
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.

Husband, Father, Sailor, Son.

Montov

Postby Montov » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks, everyone! :D I'm glad you like it!

Yeah, it is the biggest problem with the Loop-theory: if there are unanswered questions, it would be weird if Megball will ask the same questions again and again. If all questions will be answered then asking the same questions again will be stupid.

I was a big supporter of the Loop-theory, but I guess I don't see a way it would work. Only a rerun of the comic could make sense in that way, but that is not really a loop.

Maybe Megball are sitting down for a longer period now, and maybe this sea will retreat, leading to new speculation and new sandcastle building.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

Goggalor wrote:Here's a poorly thrown together comparison of the two frames (I just zoomed and cropped the current frame) so I don't have to flip back and forth between the two. It really is quite similar, but I'm not converting to Loopism yet! Time can't end!
Spoiler:

You just beat me to it.
I'm not converted either, but I'm wavering... But we can only, indeed, wait for it; yesterday, most of us were pretty convinced it was over, and look how that turned out.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”