1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Goggalor

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Goggalor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

I know Randall doesn't view the forums, but he has to be aware of the discussions that go on in the thread. It appears that he has already mocked the doomsayers and now he's mocking the loopists. What I'm trying to say is... THERE'S A MOLE AMONG US.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

Goggalor wrote:I know Randall doesn't view the forums, but he has to be aware of the discussions that go on in the thread. It appears that he has already mocked the doomsayers and now he's mocking the loopists. What I'm trying to say is... THERE'S A MOLE AMONG US.

Right! And a mole of an odd shape is likely a sign of cancer. From being in the sun too long on the beach, probably...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

SWO Crash

Postby SWO Crash » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Ok, this is really simple to understand:

It's the same, but different, meaning that it has looped, even though it hasn't, and that Time will continue, or it won't, in exactly the same way as it had before, except that it will now be different, but in a different manner than if it had looped and ended up exactly the same, which it isn't, so it's going to stay the same as it was, but in a different way.

See?

I get what you're saying.
beck-bennett.jpg
beck-bennett.jpg (11.38 KiB) Viewed 17859 times
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.

Husband, Father, Sailor, Son.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

woods wrote:You have a point. My job is at risk because of this comic. And I mean that in every real way possible. I simply cannot control my need to see what happens next. It will be the end of me.

Aww. Keep in mind that the commandment of the OTC is "Wait for it" which can be as passive or active as it needs to be. There is no true heresy in skipping pages of the OTT or catching up with the comic at the end of the day. The only true heresy is impatience, is allowing the waiting to become some non-waiting twisted visage of the essence of to "wait". Let us wait in peace and tranquility, in our own times and our own ways. I say that to you and to buffygirl and to all who wait in fear or angst. To wait is to be at peace. Yay, release thy burdens.

or something
Last edited by jovialbard on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

It's the same, but different, meaning that it has looped, even though it hasn't, and that Time will continue, or it won't, in exactly the same way as it had before, except that it will now be different, but in a different manner than if it had looped and ended up exactly the same, which it isn't, so it's going to stay the same as it was, but in a different way.

See?

*jaw drops in non-comprehension*
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

descor

Postby descor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Valarya wrote:UHOHONG

Edited to add newpix 10 from the Beginning:
Spoiler:

I'm still not a loopist but oh Randall I'm giggling so hard right now. :D

It's about time the Loopists were tormented for a while - I had more than enough torment during the Fading, it's their turn!
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Goggalor wrote:I know Randall doesn't view the forums, but he has to be aware of the discussions that go on in the thread. It appears that he has already mocked the doomsayers and now he's mocking the loopists. What I'm trying to say is... THERE'S A MOLE AMONG US.

Right! And a mole of an odd shape is likely a sign of cancer. From being in the sun too long on the beach, probably...

I'm just hoping the thread doesn't get invaded by a mole of moles. That'd get messy.

aeglaeca

Postby aeglaeca » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

There are many moles among us, at least that is what high school chem taught me. :)

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

xspeedballx wrote:This may be heresy. But hear me out. Why are we doing what we are told? Why are we waiting for it? Whether it is something unknown or time itself. Should we not fill our days with bigger things and let it come to us with hat in hand? Let it explain itself? We are slowly watching a journey of two travelers unravel. Two travelers who at first spent time waiting, and then time creating, and now time exploring. Ultimately in one way or another Time is not moving forward for us. We are all still stuck 30+ days ago. Watching the same moment in time. New comics have appeared, real time has marched on, but we keep waiting for this one spot of time to be relevant. At the expense of what?

When Time ends.. we will find Time is marching on. We put ourselves in stasis waiting for the End of Time, or It. I say no more! These Lovecraftian devices of time of within a span of a moment must be broken away from before our sanity is ground away. I fear for our vision of the real world once our vision of Time has ended.

HERETIC! HEATHEN! UNBELIEVER! :evil: Such rationale and reasoning have no place in Faith!
The devote shall continue to Wait for it!for that is what is commanded to us by some unknowable other, Lord Randall, that is beyond our words to describe or comprehend. Ineffable! Molest me not with your heretical ideas of "real world" and "sanity" for Time is the only reality that one need be aware of.

And so...we wait for it.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

htom

Postby htom » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

See?

Hear, hear, a Shepard scale!
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

See?

This makes perfect sense to me. But then, the mad Past of this thread is still fresh in my memory.
Basically what you're saying is that Randall wants it to seem like it will loop, but Time will not truly loop.
However, it may continue in a manner parallel to the building of the First Sandcastle.
So, the same, but different. :)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

A mere 29 newpixs ago (The Fully Faded Newpix) we waited with breathless anticipation to See What Happens Next.
We then overjoyed to see The Plain Of Walking appear and All rejoiced and relaxed.
Suddenly we are thrust into the same anxiety while we again wait to See What Happens Next.
(Surely Randall {may his name never be taken in vain} wouldn't continue to do this* to the poor huddled masses here, will he?)

Still we Wait For It

*the "Toss-us-down-to-the-Pits-Of-Despair-only-to-bring-us-back-at-the-Last-Moment" thing every 30 or so frames....
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Blitzgirl comic #2 request:

OTC/OTT version of http://xkcd.com/1052/
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Montov

Postby Montov » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

aeglaeca wrote:My guess is we get about a dozen newpix of looking like a loop, and then when everyone is about to lose hope, we get something startlingly new, like La Petite floating in on a raft (maybe that she was dragging at the end of the fade).

I endorse this prediction!

descor

Postby descor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Blitzgirl comic #2 request:

So seconded. With bells on.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Blitzgirl comic #2 request:

Ooh, that's a good idea! I'll keep that in mind for the Future. :D

EDIT: Ah, shoot! The beat of that is ONE SYLLABLE OFF from fitting a haiku. But maybe...

*goes back to thinking*
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

*waiting for it, through thick and thin, through my brainlessness and all else's brainfulness, and hoping to find something clever or funny to say*
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

I, for one, WOULD LOVE to see the entire events of the beginning of the OTC, only a little bit zoomed out this time.

Notes:
- The white tide may have been there because we skipped back in TIME, to the TIME before C&M came to the beach. Not skipping in location to just follow them.
- All the times Cueball or Megan left the scene ("later", "bye"), we may see not what they did over there.
- We know the second castle was built before the zoom-pan, maybe we'll be able to see it now?

Optimistic me. :-)
It's about time.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

Eliram wrote:I, for one, WOULD LOVE to see the entire events of the beginning of the OTC, only a little bit zoomed out this time.

Notes:
- The white tide may have been there because we skipped back in TIME, to the TIME before C&M came to the beach. Not skipping in location to just follow them.

Yes, that's the idea of my "Finnegan's Wake" theory. The beginning of Time is not the beginning of TIME.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:(Surely Randall {may his name never be taken in vain} wouldn't continue to do this* to the poor huddled masses here, will he?)
*the "Toss-us-down-to-the-Pits-Of-Despair-only-to-bring-us-back-at-the-Last-Moment" thing every 30 or so frames....

If it be His will, yes. Such is the will of the Creator of Time.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Montov

Postby Montov » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

This era should be called: "The OTC part 2, now with bags."

SWO Crash

Postby SWO Crash » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

Montov wrote:This era iteration should be called: "The OTC part 2, now with bags."

FTFY. :D
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.

Husband, Father, Sailor, Son.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

Montov wrote:This era should be called: "The OTC part 2, now with bags."

One True Comic II: The Baginning
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

One True Comic 2: Electric Bagaloo

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

Readies cake for 1000th Newpic!!!
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe one of those bags has infinite space and a massive city inside it. Made out of sand.

Ptarr

Postby Ptarr » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

Eliram wrote:The white tide may have been there because we skipped back in TIME, to the TIME before C&M came to the beach. Not skipping in location to just follow them.
Interesting theory. It would allow loopism without some of the weirdness.

But I still believe that Time does not loop.

OTOH, I also predict that Cueball will now dip his toe into the sea (which is big) just to mess with enlighten us further.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

417/467. Only 50 to go. Haikus (Haiku?) abound, and The Lightening has just begun. Truly exciting times!

Wall of replies:
Spoiler:
time burglar wrote:Hello brothers and sisters.

I thought this would be a good time to join, as events are clearly just starting to warm up. I was also roused into action by the post 2^14 milestone. I hope I will not offend any customs.

As far as I can tell, the only real custom around here is Waiting for It faithfully, maybe even fanatically. We also like special numbers so you picked a good time to join. Welcome.

jjjdavidson wrote:Okay, I'm a little freaked out now. No, I'm a lot freaked out.

Everybody's wondered, How did Randall generate the hashes? I thought about Externalities and the hash everyone was trying to break there, a Skein 1024 1024 hash.

But that's a 128-byte hash (256 hex digits) and the file names are only 32-byte (64 digits). But then I thought, Would it be so un-Randallish to generate a 1024-bit hash and only use 256 bits? So I wrote a script to test the Externalites hash against the Time image folder, taking 64 hex digits at a time for the image name. 192 failures, then this, with the very last 64 digits of the hash.

I don't know how many frames in the future this is, but here's:
b567aa3e2390a573a373a48a5e676640c79cc70197e1c5e7f902fb53ca1858b6.png
ImageSo you see why I'm freaked out.

Edit: 192 failures, not 184. Duh.

You almost had me, but the image didn't look quite right so I just had to take a look at the URL. Well played!

richP wrote:It's not the end until the view pans out and over the sandcastles...
And we see that the sandcastles spell out "goodbye" when seen from above.
Ask an old person, kids!

Reference to the Nazca Lines?

Eternal Density wrote:Are you sure that's cake? It looks like sand to me.
Hmm.
Maybe the stuff in Time is also cake. Black Forest Cake.

That would mean it's all a lie. :? I would hope Randall has a better ending in mind after all this Waiting...

jjjdavidson wrote:
cmyk wrote:
buffygirl wrote:You people are sooooo gullible!

Pfff. That's not even a word. Someone told me it's not even in the dictionary.

By golly, you're right! "Sooooo" isn't in any of my dictionaries, anyway...

I thought the word was "it" - "someone told me it is not even in the dictionary." But sure enough it is in the dictionary...
I'm going to be punished for this, aren't I?

Kieryn wrote:Ok, I don't know why I did this... I guess I kind of got obsessed with the idea the sandcastle building and maybe the whole comic was scripted back in the 1st NP century and so I had this old experiment lying around and... well... um...

Prediction for the next 900 newpix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSOWQYx7MYU

You win the Internet for that. Although I wasn't aware that was a game? I only know it as a screen saver (I think? been awhile since I've seen it) with the Linux penguin.

manvandmaan wrote:It will all be allright, in the end, right?
Guys?
Right?[/size]

One of my favorite quotes: "Everything will work out in the end. So if things aren't ok, it isn't the end."

higgs-boson wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
Elmach wrote:
What is IT, really?
IT is what we have searched for.
To find? Wait for IT.

I wouldn't do that.... just ask Steven King.

Is it still allowed to buy, sell, or own this book?
Surprising.

It shouldn't be. What a horrible book. (Which is to say, I loved it but I didn't sleep for roughly a week afterward.)

EDIT: beware the Wall. I had to remove all spoiler tags from it so I could wrap the entire thing in a spoiler (BBCode doesn't seem to approve of nested spoilers). Therefore it is BIG (not as big as the sea though).
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

As long as we're doing titles...

2 Bags 2 Curious

(The sequel, of course, to the hit Sandcastle flick starring Vin Diesel as Cueball.)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
I'm doing a lot of blind-posting, so apologies if someone else already came up with this idea:

(To the tune of Black and White by Three Dog Night.) In the third line, I have an extra couple of syllables. It bugs me, but not enough to change it.

The ground1 is black.
The sky2 is white
And Megan and Cueball walk from left to right.

I'm glad there's black
along with white
To have it all fade just wasn't right
It just wasn't right.

And now at least, we plainly see
That Time goes on for you and me
You and Me

(repeat ad infinitum)

Edited to say that of course about two posts later I saw StratPlayer's fine version. Well, they can be different verses of the same song, right?

Right. And I like your version! Great minds and all that... :) '

I have a friend who likes to say Great minds think alike...and so do ours.

Of course, that doesn't apply to our obviously great minds. :D

Edited to remove random period. (I mean, the punctuation, not the length of Time.)
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

The Re-Adventures of Bagsitting

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

Hooray, I have joined the legions of approved posters! My posts are no longer mere annoyances that mess up who gets to be the pope or something!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:Hooray, I have joined the legions of approved posters! My posts are no longer mere annoyances that mess up who gets to be the pope or something!

None of us are the Pope at the moment. Howdy!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

Conan the Bagbarian 2

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

Ooooo I came up with a good title, but I have to wait a couple hours to post it! Stupid Time :P

EDIT: I just came up with one I can post now:

Bag to the Future
Last edited by Goggalor on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:58 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

Bag Runner 2: The Last Replicant

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

Gah! I couldn't help myself:

"Cueball's Got a Brand New Bag"

(to the tune of "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" by James Brown)

Come here Megan,
Cueball's doin' his thing
He ain't too thick...
Hell's he's just a stick, babe
But he might have flags --
'Cause Cueball's got a brand new bag.

Come here Megan,
and dig in the semencoffeecaffeine
He's not too fancy...
But his line is pretty clean
His old scaffold sags --
But Cueball's got a brand new bag.

He's doing the work,
watchin' Time fly.
He's kinda cheap -- yes, you know he cain't buy
Still he's gettin' hungry, for mashed potatoes;
and bacon on a rack; and semencoffee later.

Come here Megan,
Cueball's doin' his thing
He's tired from the trip...
And ready for some feed, babe
The sea makes him gag --
But Cueball's got a brand new bag!
Last edited by StratPlayer on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

This thread is getting a bit baggish.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Adventures In Bagsitting
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

1000ONG

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”