1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sciscitor

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Sciscitor » Sat May 04, 2013 5:43 am UTC

To whom it may concern:
I've updated my spoiler list by manually removing all positive falses, there are only unspoilered or not labeled spoilers left (they can hide behind quotes too).

Please have a look at the list, edit your posting and inform me about it, so I can remove your name from the list.

From the names still there KarMann and Dracomax seem to be still around.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sat May 04, 2013 5:45 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
vvn wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
vvn wrote:A good time for buffygirl to talk about BSG jumping the shark..Just to give us a topic.

Edit: I never did get a suggestion for how they know the sea is still rising. Any ideas?

Didn't Megan go back towards the hill? Maybe she saw the castle from there and could see more of it covered????

I assumed that the castle is too far to see a small thing like that. But, you have made me consider that maybe she semaphored La Petite, who told her it was still rising. :o

It's been established they know something about tides (I believe). If so they know about high tide lines. So maybe she compared what they saw when they were resting to what she saw from the hill (assuming she went up the hill {but not with Jack})

Edit
time to coma {not the last standing but I think everyone else is blitzing}

Just finished a Ketchup Blitz.

Any thoughts on this part??? {I'll stay up for awhile}

I think she was looking at the sea when she said that. The reason she knew it was rising is because they had been there for a while, so she noticed the difference.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat May 04, 2013 5:46 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:So are we back to:

pelrigg wrote:

It's been established they know something about tides (I believe). If so they know about high tide lines. So maybe she compared what they saw when they were resting to what she saw from the hill (assuming she went up the hill {but not with Jack})
???

This is all I can think of. But, I can't think of a good way to measure such a rise over such a short time. But, I guess taking it could be as much as 3/8" per newpix. Which could be measured in the calm water we see, in the time she was gone. (My math is bad tonight. Did I get that right?) I just don't like that answer. With even small waves, it seems to hard to determine.

ADD:
tman2nd wrote:I think she was looking at the sea when she said that. The reason she knew it was rising is because they had been there for a while, so she noticed the difference.

I was assuming that was the river, and didn't count. Might be wrong.
Last edited by vvn on Sat May 04, 2013 5:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 5:46 am UTC

this is very interesting. Think OTC where it says news.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

fatness

Postby fatness » Sat May 04, 2013 5:52 am UTC

Exodies wrote:this is very interesting. Think OTC where it says news.

It's true. There is no actual news. OTC/OTT is more real than anything you'll see on TV.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 5:52 am UTC

mscha wrote:Hey BlitzGirl, if you're looking for a new challenge...
We kinda need one of these for your version of Boom-de-yada.

There's only one thing wrong with that. It's too short.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 5:56 am UTC

Helper wrote:
bighaben wrote:Is anyone else concerned this might actually be the end as we see our hero's march into the distance on an endless journey of discovery?

I really hope I'm wrong!

This comic isn't much in the business of ending.

We could start a new tradition, a cult of doom - after each ONG someone must throw in a theory about why this is proberly the last Frame.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 5:56 am UTC

vvn wrote:
pelrigg wrote:So are we back to:

pelrigg wrote:

???

This is all I can think of. But, I can't think of a good way to measure such a rise over such a short time. But, I guess taking it could be as much as 3/8" per newpix. Which could be measured in the calm water we see, in the time she was gone. (My math is bad tonight. Did I get that right?) I just don't like that answer. With even small waves, it seems to hard to determine.

ADD:
tman2nd wrote:I think she was looking at the sea when she said that. The reason she knew it was rising is because they had been there for a while, so she noticed the difference.

I've not spent much time on ocean or large lake beaches (to see much tide) but I remember my cousin pointing out the tidal change in a river we were swimming in (Montana, hadn't rained in over a week) that I wouldn't have noticed, but he had spent more time on the ocean (California), so small change can be noticed.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 04, 2013 5:58 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I'm here! I've been doing Outside stuff like vacuuming and dishes and eating Saturday lunch.
I wonder if we'll see the castle again. I'd like to.
Also I just remembered to check the Other Comic, a day late.

I know it kinda gets in the way, doesn't it?

Indeed it does, I was off watching Time-related things...somewhat...does watching Doctor Who out of order count? (I saw an episode from ballpark season 3 - old doctor who - and then the introduction of River song1 in new season 4)

Also I see from my Terraria server logs that someone from Berkely, California was trying to connect but was unable. Anyone got any info on that?

1Actually, not very small. Well, in comparison to the sea maybe.

Laser Plumb

Postby Laser Plumb » Sat May 04, 2013 5:59 am UTC

Solamar wrote:Sigh. I guess new/infrequent posters are not appreciated here. Either that or my posts are not making it through. I have not seen any responses at all to my questions. Discouraging.

As a co-new poster, I think I've shared some of this ... err .... disappointment ... however ..
.... I've told myself it takes more time to have an impact of this "Time" "needle pulled thing" ...
... as far as colorized versions, those who've been having fun "adding" value to the original OTC by creating various new media from the source have been paying their dues, learning the tools (or as we often say w/ greatest respect "RTFM" ) ... some people like color ... I'm a big monochrome fan myself ... but this is so inspiring to watch ... I'm overwhelmed w/ gratitude ... part of the blessing that is the great Randall !!

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat May 04, 2013 6:00 am UTC

Wait for him.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 6:01 am UTC

he's looking,ong?
Spoiler:

ninja'd by a pro
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat May 04, 2013 6:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat May 04, 2013 6:02 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I've added a bunch of hats to the "Hats by buffygirl" wiki page. It now lists forty (forty!) gift hats from buffygirl, including the double set for BlitzGirl.

Thank you, Davidson!!!! A Big MWAH to you for that. Woot!

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Sat May 04, 2013 6:05 am UTC

Exodies wrote:We could start a new tradition, a cult of doom - after each ONG someone must throw in a theory about why this is proberly the last Frame.

AluisioASG wrote:Wait for him.

He looks like he's about to drop dead. Probably a brain-eating amoeba from the water they're drinking. This must be the end of Cueball.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sat May 04, 2013 6:06 am UTC

vvn wrote:

Meagan was looking towards us which is the direction the sea is in.
Spoiler:
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sat May 04, 2013 6:06 am UTC

astrocub wrote:
Exodies wrote:We could start a new tradition, a cult of doom - after each ONG someone must throw in a theory about why this is proberly the last Frame.

He looks like he's about to drop dead. Probably a brain-eating amoeba from the water they're drinking. This must be the end of Cueball.

Are you sure you're not overanalyzing him?
Selecting new quote…

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Sat May 04, 2013 6:08 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
astrocub wrote:

Are you sure you're not overanalyzing him?

Yes. He's definitely dead.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat May 04, 2013 6:10 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:
vvn wrote:

Meagan was looking towards us which is the direction the sea is in.
Spoiler:

I grant that you are probably right. But, I figure if she can just look out over the sea, and see that it it rising, it's rising FAST. I am uncomfortable that it is rising THAT fast. But, that is just my disquiet, not evidence.

Edit DP:
AluisioASG wrote:Are you sure you're not overanalyzing him?

We are absolutely overanalyzing him. And, everything else. That's the fun.
Last edited by vvn on Sat May 04, 2013 6:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Sat May 04, 2013 6:16 am UTC

I have traveled in time from the Nüpæg 453 to the Nüpæg 527 to say this:

1. I accidentally got stuck this far into the past. Not sure how that happened, there was a big whoosh. I've been marching forwards when I realized I should be making signposts or something.
2. Huh, lots of people got hats. That's good to know.
3. I repent for looking into the future to see the current status of things. That said, I already knew the fading would not be the end because this thread is still going.
4. Hey, Helper's back. Hello, Helper! (saw this during the whoosh.)
5. I should probably respond like blitzgirl.
6. I'll be going now.
7. Whooshing back right now, saw something about the end of time? Man, what have I missed.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sat May 04, 2013 6:18 am UTC

vvn wrote:

I know, but that's a bit too far. I mean, can't he just have forgotten something?
Selecting new quote…

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 6:22 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:

I know, but that's a bit too far. I mean, can't he just have forgotten something?

Or maybe there's a fin in the water coming towards them; a velosiraptorshark* fin........

*what ever it was called. I'm going to coma, have fun,,,,,

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Sat May 04, 2013 6:22 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:

You must have missed the memo. We're now trying to end the comic/murder M&C/personally slaughter Randall, his family, and everything he's ever loved with each new pic.

Also, coma'ing. Night everbody/everyboty.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Sat May 04, 2013 6:22 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:

Yep. He forgot to sterilize the Naegleria fowlericious river water in his steam bottle. Poor Cueball, what a way to end.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sat May 04, 2013 6:24 am UTC

Helper wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:

You must have missed the memo. We're now trying to end the comic/murder M&C/personally slaughter Randall, his family, and everything he's ever loved with each new pic.

Also, coma'ing. Night everbody/everyboty.

Ah, so we're trying to change everyone into a psycho(socio?)path.
That looks fun; I want to be the first test subject.
Selecting new quote…

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat May 04, 2013 6:27 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:

This is a humorous poke at the theory: If we always think it's about to end, it never will.
Therefore, Cueball is about to die!!! And, the comic will continue to go on just to spite the prediction. (We want power over the comic. We don't want it to end!!!)

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sat May 04, 2013 6:30 am UTC

vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:

This is a humorous poke at the theory: If we always think it's about to end, it never will.
Therefore, Cueball is about to die!!! And, the comic will continue to go on just to spite the prediction. (We want power over the comic. We don't want it to end!!!)

Hmm... how many infinitialists do we have here?
Selecting new quote…

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sat May 04, 2013 6:32 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:

Me! I'm one!

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 04, 2013 6:32 am UTC

Cueball doesn't need to die, but if we can get something exciting to watch like Megan performing CPR on him, I'm all for that.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat May 04, 2013 6:33 am UTC

Lazy 8 society of Time.... (Raises hand.)

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:33 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:To whom it may concern:
I've updated my spoiler list by manually removing all positive falses, there are only unspoilered or not labeled spoilers left (they can hide behind quotes too).

Please have a look at the list, edit your posting and inform me about it, so I can remove your name from the list.

From the names still there KarMann and Dracomax seem to be still around.

Do you think this is something one or more of the mods would be willing to help us with, i.e. we give them the address of the hashed image, and they go into the posts that include time.png and fix them for us? Or is that too trivial to merit mod involvement?
If it is, we could just PM the people who don't edit their posts to let them know, and then hope that they still use the forum.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Sat May 04, 2013 6:34 am UTC

Seems like being 10+ Newpages behind after coma/work is normal now. I'll have to catch up tomorrow1 though, I -have work again early2 so I can't stay long enough to read everything. Here are the replies I did get to:

1: Outsider term for measuring Time. In our more precise Newpix units, this translates into 7.25 Newpix or so before I return.

2: Outsider term for a time of day3, meaning a point at which someone should be coma'ing and is not.

3: Another Outsider term for measuring Time, consisting of 24 Newpix.

Spoiler:
Exodies wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
IIRC the real Google Bot is in brackets, like so: "[Google Bot]". This one is most likely a joke account.

Are you out of your mind? What have you been smoking? The real Google Bot is "Google [Bot]". To garble the nicks of OTC visitors like that is heresy and blasphemy.

I was on my second consecutive all-nighter with very few h Newpix of sleep coma during the day. I can barely remember my own name when I get to that point. My bad!
EDIT: good grief. I need to go coma, I'm not thinking clearly even now. All these Outsider units creeping in...

mscha wrote:
Cueball wrote:It's strange.
Rivers flow to meet the sea.
Maybe the sea couldn't wait.

Huh?

I think he's saying the rivers were flowing too slowly and the sea got impatient, so it went out to meet the rivers instead of the rivers going to the sea.

StratPlayer wrote:
pelrigg wrote:May be they'll find a Chevy first...........

At the levee?

I was just waiting for this. WP. (Also: this reminds me, I propose you be given the title of Witmaster. Although I don't have exact numbers, I'd swear you have more wikiquotes than anyone else, and most of those were humor.)

jovialbard wrote:We should have a poll of whether they find a ford or turn back, and see if Randell responds to it

edit: the great thing about this would be that if they do what we said it's incontrovertible proof that he reads the thread, and if they don't then he's obviously just fucking with us.

QFT. At this point everything Randall does has become WIFOM.

NoMouse wrote: Is flow of Time considered as perpetual motion?

I don't think so. Since time (lowercase) is finite, so must Time (uppercase) be. And finite != perpetual.

Febrion wrote:
nickulo wrote:Woah... suddenly we find ourselves in a Choose Your Own Adventure book. Hope he doesn't pick the path that leads to being dead in a dungeon. Or wrapped up in a giant spider web.

Just make sure to hold your place while you "scout" the results on the various options. Not that any of us would do something like that

That gets a bit tricky past about 3-4 levels of choices. The branching gets ridiculous. And since the apparent best choice may not always lead to the desired ultimate outcome, such branching is required if you're going to hold your place. If you're going to cheat, might as well do it all the way. :P What? No, I don't know that from experience. I plead Not Guilty and defy anyone to provide sufficient evidence otherwise.

woods wrote:
jovialbard wrote:We should have a poll of whether they find a ford or turn back, and see if Randell responds to it

A poll has thusly been created!
http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5183e6c1e4b07663c9e7ef1b

Not sure what's happened since you posted this, but I'll bump it on the off-chance it's still needed.

mscha wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:You mean:
[spoiler](snip)

I've asked politely before and I'll do so again: can you *please* refrain from posting this?

Support from me. The image doesn't bother me (much), but I cringe at the thought of someone with epilepsy reading any section of the thread that image appears in. Especially since I don't believe most appearances had proper warnings...

EDIT: seems mscha wasn't the only one to object, and you guys got worked stuff out peaceably. I am once again impressed by all of you.

Ted Logdon wrote:Call me technologically impaired, but some of these posts imply there is a way to see past images of "Time".
What am I missing?

Aubronwood.

Opiboble wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Opiboble wrote:NOOOO! IT GOT DAVIDSON! D: WE ARE ALL DOOMED!

The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggeraARRGH!

STOP DYING !

I keep telling you, I'm not deGGHTT!

KEEP BREATHING!

WE NEED A DOCTOR!!! CAN ANYONE HELP!?[/quote]

*deep breath, channels raw power for a moment* *drops phoenix down on jjjdavidson* It's ok. This isn't going to feel very good but you'll survive at least...
If you actually "die" with the phoenix down active, you'll revive. It'll feel like being immersed in cold water - you'll feel a nasty, shuddering chill and you'll feel like you can't breathe for a few moments. The sensations will pass though and you'll be fine.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 6:36 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:.
<snip>
Valarya wrote:And how did she know it was still rising? Did they stop and build a miniature d(y)ike on the way which they could check?
Perhaps that's why Cueball dug that little ditch... to see if the sea would rise and fill it. It did.

If that is the case, then the sea level is higher than the river level. I thought I could see Cueboy drop a lump of landmatter in the hole.

And

I read it as Boom. De yah, dah. It was a big surprise to hear it sung differently.

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Sat May 04, 2013 6:41 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:

I have a morbid feeling that the end of Time will coincide with Randall deciding to end xkcd. Whether that's infinite or in a couple years, I have no idea.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat May 04, 2013 6:44 am UTC

astrocub wrote:I have a morbid feeling that the end of Time will coincide with Randall deciding to end xkcd. Whether that's infinite or in a couple years, I have no idea.

Since I expect Randall to keep xkcd going for a while, this is not bad news.

Add:
HAL9000 wrote:Do you think this is something one or more of the mods would be willing to help us with, i.e. we give them the address of the hashed image, and they go into the posts that include time.png and fix them for us? Or is that too trivial to merit mod involvement?
If it is, we could just PM the people who don't edit their posts to let them know, and then hope that they still use the forum.

I am not an expert on forum etiquette, but I'd PM first, and try for the Mod's if that doesn't work.
Last edited by vvn on Sat May 04, 2013 6:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Sat May 04, 2013 6:46 am UTC

Solamar wrote:Sigh. I guess new/infrequent posters are not appreciated here. Either that or my posts are not making it through. I have not seen any responses at all to my questions. Discouraging.

More than likely your posts were stuck in the moderation queue. I see you have three posts now, so my best guess is that your first post got stuck in the modqueue (standard practice here), your second post was posted before your first was approved and therefore also ended up in the modqueue, and your third post is this one. Given the rate of posting here, it wouldn't surprise me if by the time your posts made it out of modqueue everyone was far ahead. Although I do wonder why I didn't pick up on that while I was in the Past. I was trying to keep an eye out for first posts... :oops: As penance for this sin I will retrieve your first post.

Here, I brought your first post back to the Present for discussion.

Solamar wrote:How difficult would it be to add color to the frames? Not full rendering, but just some 5 colors or so for differentiation.

Would it be possible to automate it?

I am thinking that the sand would be a light tan, the characters remain black, the water blue, and the flags have color. The posts could be brown, etc.

It would make it more clear where the water is. For example, is there a pool of water inside the wall?

The difference engines with color are interesting, but hard to see what is going on. I would love to see these to add color, but for me it would be an image by image fill, and take quite a bit of time. Is there a way to make an overlay that would automate it?

I think it would be fairly difficult to make this happen automatically, since there's no way to differentiate, say, the characters from the castle. Everything's in B&W except for antialiasing, and image recognition would be somewhat difficult since the M&C are in so many different poses (not to mention things like half-on-screen, half-off-screen frames). Even separating sand from water would be challenging in certain frames (basically any point at which part of the construction crumbled into the water).

EDIT: and since nobody else (as of Newpage 520) threw this firstpost into the Present, I'll do it before I coma instead of saving it for the start of a wall of replies.

Back later. Good Waiting all!
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 6:46 am UTC

Wnderer wrote:
riverwalk2.jpg

color

Oh you

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat May 04, 2013 6:51 am UTC

Sorry I wasn't here to converse with you guys, like pelrigg. I was taking advantage of the lull to drawr. *this is such a comfy chair*

buffygirl wrote:Opiboble, stop it, or you won't get a hat!

Thank you for the hat offer, buffygirl, but I was afraid you'd want to try corrective behavior lessons on me, too. :P
If you do happen to make something for me still, I hope it's a cookie, like I have now, but if it's betterawesome I may try it on. If this has angered you, sorry. Feel free to rescind offer. :|

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

r34ver

Postby r34ver » Sat May 04, 2013 6:55 am UTC

Does CB have a raging hard on right now?

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 6:56 am UTC

HarpyRotter wrote:I want to know this. Why has it been assumed that the pix filenames are hashes of anything? In my view, they are simply random strings.

Because the sequence number needs to be retrieved from the name. Could be done by look-up, but that wouldn't be the simplest solution. We have to follow Occam you know.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:56 am UTC

Vytron wrote:Flado & lmjb1964 catch up to the present! also, freak post!

<snip>

:shock: Something I didn't expect to see, seems the Laws Of The Forum were broken there.

It took me forever to find this post, and then it took me a while to fix the BB code problems. Finally got it fixed, so hopefully it won't freak out future blitzers.

Edited to remove bad quote stuff in case it was breaking the forum.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Sun May 05, 2013 6:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”