1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sciscitor

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Sciscitor » Sun May 05, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Awesome graph, Sciscitor! But since there's no arrows on the lines, is there a way to tell whether a line means 'quoted' or 'was quoted by'?

I've had arrows on the lines but they messed it up, so I left them out. In some cases, there is a way to tell: If there are two lines between Users (say Helper and opiboble) the narrower line means quotes of the clockwise second user, while the wider means quotes of the first one. This is because I sorted the user clockwise by descending being-quoted-count.

Sorry, if that's a bit confusing.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Sun May 05, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

noONGyet?

can't seem to get the new one to load - either it's late or my browser is messing up.
Last edited by katakombe on Sun May 05, 2013 8:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

katakombe wrote:noONGyet?

No, and yours isn't one either. (Oldpix.)
You have 1½ minute to fix it, before newpixbot takes over.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

EVENSONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun May 05, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Ooh! Idea! Combine this with one of Kieryn's charts, and put the day that each of the top 100 quoted users first posted in the thread!

It is current up to post 20440 (that is page 511), I spent some time for setting this up so I did not update the database itself, I will do this tomorrow after comatime and outside duties.

Are you talking about measuring who posted the fastest? It could be done, I guess.

Maybe I could also add some more information by colorcoding the nodes and the edges ... all I need are some ideas what to choose as metric for that.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
katakombe wrote:noONGyet?

No, and yours isn't one either. (Oldpix.)
You have 1½ minute to fix it, before newpixbot takes over.

Is the comic being laggy for anyone else?
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun May 05, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Awesome graph, Sciscitor! But since there's no arrows on the lines, is there a way to tell whether a line means 'quoted' or 'was quoted by'?

I've had arrows on the lines but they messed it up, so I left them out. In some cases, there is a way to tell: If there are two lines between Users (say Helper and opiboble) the narrower line means quotes of the clockwise second user, while the wider means quotes of the first one. This is because I sorted the user clockwise by descending being-quoted-count.

Sorry, if that's a bit confusing.

It's also possible that "X" quoted "Y" more times than "Y" quoted "X", yet others have quoted "X" enough to move "X" higher up the list, so this can't really be true in general. I notice that each line is curved though, do the lines always curve the same way? E.g. always making a 'right turn' when directed from quoter to quoted?

Edit: I don't know how newpixbot got the link, I (and others, it seems) am getting a timeout retrieving http://c.xkcd.com/redirect/comic/time
Last edited by Smithers on Sun May 05, 2013 8:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Sun May 05, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

mscha wrote:EVENSONGGGGGGGG...
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/2e9053 ... 5df46c.png

-- posted by newpixbot

Where does newpixbot get his filenames and images? It's still not resolving properly on the comic site.

htom

Postby htom » Sun May 05, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:So... now I've played around a bit with my new dataset and thus created a very simplified graph visualization of this thread

OMR... Simplified, (s)he calls that... I don't think I've ever seen a graph with such a high data density, amazing.
(I think I'm hypnitized now, after staring at a zoomed-in version for a while.)

:jaw gapes: Stunning graph, Sciscitor. I'm more used to seeing a thing like this with two axes perpendicular, one in order of outgoing links (most nearest the intersection), the other in order of incoming links (most nearest the intersection.)

:frowns at Rule110:
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Sun May 05, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

slinches wrote:Where does newpixbot get his filenames and images? It's still not resolving properly on the comic site.

phew, and i thought i was the only one - i still can't get the current picture, and i've F5-ed the site more often than i can count in the last 15 minutes.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Ooh! Idea! Combine this with one of Kieryn's charts, and put the day that each of the top 100 quoted users first posted in the thread!

It is current up to post 20440 (that is page 511), I spent some time for setting this up so I did not update the database itself, I will do this tomorrow after comatime and outside duties.

Are you talking about measuring who posted the fastest? It could be done, I guess.

Maybe I could also add some more information by colorcoding the nodes and the edges ... all I need are some ideas what to choose as metric for that.

I was thinking more along the lines of just adding when each user's oldest and newest in-thread posts within the timespan covered by the chart were.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

katakombe wrote:
slinches wrote:Where does newpixbot get his filenames and images? It's still not resolving properly on the comic site.

phew, and i thought i was the only one - i still can't get the current picture, and i've F5-ed the site more often than i can count in the last 15 minutes.

Maybe it started with a temporary blip meaning we all began refreshing like mad effectively creating a DDoS?

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

katakombe wrote:

No wonder it is slow, every time you (or others) press F5, it adds to the load on the servers... :?

Newpixbot is using a link with a specific IP address instead of the hostname. It was much slower than usual as well, but since it had to wait until :10 to post anyway, it didn't make a difference.
I won't repeat the link here, otherwise all y'all will start F5-ing that one as well. ;)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sun May 05, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

There may have been 42 cakes, but when no one was looking, Lex Luthor took forty cakes. He took 40 cakes. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun May 05, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I won't repeat the link here, otherwise all y'all will start F5-ing that one as well. ;)

Very good idea, if we all start F5-in on the same IP, we'll just be subverting the CDN and DDoS it even faster.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Sun May 05, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
katakombe wrote:

No wonder it is slow, every time you (or others) press F5, it adds to the load on the servers... :?

yeah, well,to be fair, i started to do it so frantically when i noticed i got the old image url on my attempted ONG and wanted to fix it. i don't usually do that. still, i don't get a picture even now, so i'll just wait a little while and try again then.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
katakombe wrote:

Newpixbot is using a link with a specific IP address instead of the hostname. It was much slower than usual as well, but since it had to wait until :10 to post anyway, it didn't make a difference.
I won't repeat the link here, otherwise all y'all will start F5-ing that one as well. ;)

Makes sense, no use crashing the other server. Capturing all of the frames is more important than claiming "First!". Still, how could we be DDoSing his servers? There's only 73 of us on here and I doubt that we could hit F5 fast enough to cause much of an issue.

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
mscha wrote:I won't repeat the link here, otherwise all y'all will start F5-ing that one as well. ;)

Very good idea, if we all start F5-in on the same IP, we'll just be subverting the CDN and DDoS it even faster.

I like to think that right now a massive klaxon is blaring and red lights are flashing while Randall grabs an emergency tool box before making an intrepid trip through cramped corridors filled with smoke to reach the server room where he has to defeat a highly intelligent computer virus (you know, like the ones in movies which 'mutate' to counteract everything you do) to bring xkcd back online...

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:There may have been 42 cakes, but when no one was looking, Lex Luthor took forty cakes. He took 40 cakes. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

This sounds like an elementary school math problem.
"If there are 42 cakes but Lex Luthor steals 40 cakes, how many cakes are left?"
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Sun May 05, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

descor wrote:I like to think that right now a massive klaxon is blaring and red lights are flashing while Randall grabs an emergency tool box before making an intrepid trip through cramped corridors filled with smoke to reach the server room where he has to defeat a highly intelligent computer virus (you know, like the ones in movies which 'mutate' to counteract everything you do) to bring xkcd back online...

i love that scenario! hope the servers recover before the next ONG (that we should probably leave to Newpixbot, just in case)

htom

Postby htom » Sun May 05, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
katakombe wrote:

Makes sense, no use crashing the other server. Capturing all of the frames is more important than claiming "First!". Still, how could we be DDoSing his servers? There's only 73 of us on here and I doubt that we could hit F5 fast enough to cause much of an issue.

Yesterday was "Free Comic Saturday"; when I walked into my local shop, people were talking about "the world's slowest flip book" and some of those who didn't know may be trying to catch up.

HAL9000 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:There may have been 42 cakes, but when no one was looking, Lex Luthor took forty cakes. He took 40 cakes. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

"If there are 42 cakes but Lex Luthor steals 40 cakes, how many cakes are left?"

None. Lex Luther bought the other two.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun May 05, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

I may have missed a subtle joke or aknowledgement of the reference there but I think it sounds like that because it is.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

I may have missed a subtle joke or aknowledgement of the reference there but I think it sounds like that because it is.

Oh my god that is the best thing I've seen for a long, long time. I didn't actually know that was a real thing.

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Sun May 05, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

The comic won't load and nobody has suggested that this is the end of Time yet? I am disappoint.

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:The comic won't load and nobody has suggested that this is the end of Time yet? I am disappoint.

Is this another sect? Serverfailurites? DDoSists?

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Sun May 05, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:The comic won't load and nobody has suggested that this is the end of Time yet? I am disappoint.

well, the Newpixbot had no problem loading the Newpix, so it's clearly a server problem. plus everyone should stop refreshing so that the servers have a chance to come back up. (i know it's tempting to try, and i know it's disturbing to not have the current Newpix open in the next tab, but we have to be strong!)

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Sun May 05, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

descor wrote:

Maybe a splinter group of some other sect, I've kind of lost track of the existing ones.

katakombe wrote:well, the Newpixbot had no problem loading the Newpix, so it's clearly a server problem. plus everyone should stop refreshing so that the servers have a chance to come back up. (i know it's tempting to try, and i know it's disturbing to not have the current Newpix open in the next tab, but we have to be strong!)

Yeah, I know, I just felt that it had to be suggested regardless, as the 'Time is ending!' prophecies of doom have not always made sense anyway.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun May 05, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

Not quotes this time, for brevity.

Sciscitor, that circle graph is insane. There is no possible way to follow it, but thanks anyways, it's cool!

mscha, your "no good at pictures" picture illustrates the idea well. I was thinking more of the impossible m.c. escher style feed itself. If I get some time, I'll attempt to drawr it myself. lol.

Rule110, I'm laughing my ass off....haha, just fucking great!

I welcome our newpixbot overlords.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:I just felt that it had to be suggested regardless, as the 'Time is ending!' prophecies of doom have not always made sense anyway.

That is certainly the understatement of the newpix...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun May 05, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
dreiarmumig wrote:I just felt that it had to be suggested regardless, as the 'Time is ending!' prophecies of doom have not always made sense anyway.

That is certainly the understatement of the newpix...

comics gonna end at frame 1190, calling it right now
(I doubt it though, that's far too soon and nothing is resolved)
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun May 05, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

Scratch that

Helper goeth to Starbux:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:YING TONG

WHATISITWITHPEOPLEPOSTINGTHEOLDPICWITHOUTCHECKINGTODAYONG...

Edit: FWIW, my checker had no trouble this time, and got the newpix within a few seconds.
Edit2: Ninja'd by azule - in the next post. (I cheated (edited).)
Edit3: azule deleted, so I unspoilered again.
Last edited by mscha on Sun May 05, 2013 9:06 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun May 05, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

Interesting, the river bank is more slope-y here. Almost looks like a little mini-beach...

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Sun May 05, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

oh, a zoom-in. i predict dialog in the next 1-3 Newpix.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun May 05, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Smithers wrote:YING TONG

WHATISITWITHPEOPLEPOSTINGTHEOLDPICWITHOUTCHECKINGTODAYONG...

I did check. The new image appeared (and it was an obvious one, as you've just seen), then I copied the address (and checked I wasn't copying "time.png") and somehow got the wrong one. I think the image redirect gave me the new link, but then the javascript overwrote it with the old one.

Helper goeth to Starbux:

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun May 05, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Edit: FWIW, my checker had no trouble this time, and got the newpix within a few seconds.
Edit2: Ninja'd by azule - in the next post. (I cheated (edited).)
Edit3: azule deleted, so I unspoilered again.

LMAO! Sorry. I went to post, didn't see it. Then on refresh it was there. I thought I got ninja'd, and I had no *ONG ready, so deleted. :(

Edit: I have slow internet. I just assume I'm ninja'd, never think I could get the post in during such activity. (It was the server unresponsiveness that gave me a change. Well, here's hoping for another server slowdown. ;) Kidding!)
Last edited by azule on Sun May 05, 2013 9:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sun May 05, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

All of them. Superman brought them back.
Do I win?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

All of them. Superman brought them back.
Do I win?

No, Superman does. He only brought the cakes back so he could eat them all himself.
EDIT: Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer! w00t!
Last edited by HAL9000 on Sun May 05, 2013 9:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Edit: FWIW, my checker had no trouble this time, and got the newpix within a few seconds.

The OTC page in my browser is still not loading, though...¹
If Randall has any spies in the OTT, I hope they can ask him to give the servers a good kick.

Interesting newpic, indeed. It's been a while that something new happened.

¹: ah, there it is, now.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:
descor wrote:

Maybe a splinter group of some other sect, I've kind of lost track of the existing ones.

This may help. (Click for large version)
End of the OTC2.png
Last edited by descor on Sun May 05, 2013 9:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”