1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dracomax

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 06, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
descor wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Ugh, the Timeline movie butchered the book. I feel the need to bring this up whenever someone mentions that film.

Agreed; but taken for itself the movie was better than a lot of the so-called science fiction that Hollywood produces.

What, you mean like THIS???

Nothing is worse than this. And I mean nothing.

EDIT: Dammit, ninja'd

Actually, StratPlayer, Armageddon is one of those movie's I'm embarrassed to love watching. As science fiction I always break it down as about equal portions "Wow, someone has a clue," and "Okay, so they hollywooded up the technobabble a bit," and "Oh, jeez, a third-grader would know better!" But as a story about people, about love and heroism and sacrifice -- well, I blush to confess this (literally; my face feels warm), but I really love to watch it.

ETA:
woods wrote:Wow, I sure am glad I checked the OTT TWICE this weekend, otherwise I would have a lot of catching up to do. You guys are just riddled with tangents.

Speaking for myself, I happen to be infested by cosines.

Myself, I'm Waiting for a Sine from above...

(And it's ok -- you can still enjoy a bad movie like Armageddon. I kinda liked it too, but there is a LOT of better sci-fi out there, I believe).

But is there better popcorn and heckling sci-fantasy? Also, the presence of Bruce Willis makes it about 20% more watchable than it would be otherwise.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Mon May 06, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

(Greetings from NP 537!)
ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:Hey, we gotta welcome the newbies. The colorized frame I reuploaded (I forget who uploaded it initially) was around before the inquisition existed, so it should be grandfathered in.
I think that colorized representations of One True Frames can be awesome - demonstrated already by the recent ones. They are not heresy at all; they are an artistic comment, much like the twenty thousand literary comments we have been making here. Strictly speaking they could all be considered unnecessary, as the frames speak for themselves, but they do add the necessary space between the frames which allow the One True Comic to be experienced even after the time of Time. So, they really are necessary, and the colorized frames are more than welcome.
Thus speaketh the Pope of the Holy Contradiction.

I still think that's a matter for the Inquisition, chocolate, liquorice, and stakes. Fanart is fine though. But not canon. I don't think I've seen these past colorized frames you speak of...

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
VoronX, speaking from more or less the present wrote: If we postulate that the Sea1 is to the east, and the camera faces north, and postulating movement in straight perpendicular lines (though it's probably not particularly accurate)...
Where I live, the roads are not completely straight, but I modeled them in my head as if they were. For many years, there was an entire quadrant of town that was a complete mystery to me how it could even exist, and how it connected with anything. It was essentially in hyperspace for all intents and purposes, though I traveled through it often. It turns out that the roads curved somewhat, the curve was not taken into account in my mental model, and that opened a rift in the space-time continuum where another chunk of town could be hidden! So, I would be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there.

Raptors?! Oh, no.... *looks around* I hope the denizens keep their grass mowed...

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
Wait a minute... VoronX, speaking from more or less the present??? You're here??? You're here!!! Now there must be a coronation. There are two BlitzGirl the Nexts! Sound the trumpets! Summon the Court! BlitzGirl - will you be the speaker of honor?

Or was that Vytron? It's confusing being the Pope of the Holy Contradiction. No matter, there must still be a coronation, as PhoenixRising has not been properly commemorated yet.
Jose

No, not I am not a BlitzGirl the Next...there are hundreds of newpages I have not yet explored...I am still the humble Billy Pilgrim of Time, hopping to and fro, hither and yon, past and future, finding presents where I may... ADD-ing to the experience of the OTT along the way. In a hat. A black hat. With a Z!

(Edited for cleanliness and because I overlooked a raptor reference....)
Last edited by VoronX on Mon May 06, 2013 7:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 06, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

VoronX wrote:(Greetings from NP 537!)
ucim wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Hey, we gotta welcome the newbies. The colorized frame I reuploaded (I forget who uploaded it initially) was around before the inquisition existed, so it should be grandfathered in.
I think that colorized representations of One True Frames can be awesome - demonstrated already by the recent ones. They are not heresy at all; they are an artistic comment, much like the twenty thousand literary comments we have been making here. Strictly speaking they could all be considered unnecessary, as the frames speak for themselves, but they do add the necessary space between the frames which allow the One True Comic to be experienced even after the time of Time. So, they really are necessary, and the colorized frames are more than welcome.
Thus speaketh the Pope of the Holy Contradiction.

I still think that's a matter for the Inquisition, chocolate, liquorice, and stakes. Fanart is fine though. But not canon. I don't think I've seen these past colorized frames you speak of...

Wait, wait... The inquisition doesn't use stakes. Stakes aren't funny--that would be uncivilized. We use Steaks. but we don't cook them to order. What have you people been up to while I've been gone?
“have i gone mad?

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon May 06, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:so...has anyone figured out yet at what point the number of people blitzposting will outnumber the number of people currentposting?

My guess, based entirely on a refusal to collect the easily findable data, is that in about 150 Timeframes, the then-current newpage will be composed entirely of people posting signposts from the past.

Unfortunately.

It was fun with BlitzGirl. Talent and|or practice met a beautiful idea and the result was highly entertaining.

Now... Epigones I tend to skip. :?

The blitzgirling thing as an art in itself isn't original anymore and worn out (the Arrival of the Anointed One happened and we are all happy). And the added value of opinions and estimates brought in targetting something >400 newpix ago - howbeit already written, proven false, or both - is rather small.

Please rally to the flag. The thread's about the comic. Not about poster's toplists.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 06, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Dangit!!! Can't get to the link from work! Evidently our management seems to think that work computers should only be used for, well, you know...

That's a bit silly, blocking Dropbox. I use Dropbox for (legitimate) work purposes all the time.

descor wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Ugh, the Timeline movie butchered the book. I feel the need to bring this up whenever someone mentions that film.

Agreed; but taken for itself the movie was better than a lot of the so-called science fiction that Hollywood produces.

Not even this? Where the air was dropping so fast that it had no time obey the laws of nature?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon May 06, 2013 12:52 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:I think the instruction 'wait for it' was just to set the ball rolling - to make sure someone stuck around to see the first transition. For the rest, we have no commandment.
The commandment is still there. It has been there for all time, and all of Time.

You must do penance.

tman2nd wrote:I have decided that I am going to Blitzgirl the 193 pages I haven't read in the beginning. See you all in the future!
May your journey be filled with wonder. We eagerly await your return, and a gospel with the foresight and insight that comes from your unique perspective.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 06, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Dangit!!! Can't get to the link from work! Evidently our management seems to think that work computers should only be used for, well, you know...

That's a bit silly, blocking Dropbox. I use Dropbox for (legitimate) work purposes all the time.

descor wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:

Not even this? Where the air was dropping so fast that it had no time obey the laws of nature?

That's a failure of climate Science, with one or 2 instances of other sciences being dragged into the heap. However, there is some legitimate science there. The Core, on the other hand, butchers science every time it's mentioned, and has horrible, annoying characters to boot.

That being said, DAT is nearly as bad.
“have i gone mad?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
Dracomax wrote:so...has anyone figured out yet at what point the number of people blitzposting will outnumber the number of people currentposting?

My guess, based entirely on a refusal to collect the easily findable data, is that in about 150 Timeframes, the then-current newpage will be composed entirely of people posting signposts from the past.

Unfortunately.

It was fun with BlitzGirl. Talent and|or practice met a beautiful idea and the result was highly entertaining.

The blitzgirling thing as an art in itself isn't original anymore and worn out (the Arrival of the Anointed One happened and we are all happy). And the added value of opinions and estimates brought in targetting something >400 newpix ago - howbeit already written, proven false, or both - is rather small.

Please rally to the flag. The thread's about the comic. Not about poster's toplists.

Well, I see your point, and I definitely agree that "Oooh, me too!" is never a great idea for a post or an action.

But, KetchupBlitzing posts typically cover replies that are still current enough to be relevant (if there is such a thing in this thread), so I don't have a problem with those.

And, being willing to go back and read the entire OTT is commendable and a valiant quest -- and I actually prefer it to someone arriving over 500 NewPages in and going, "I have no idea what's going on, but that's not going to prevent me from commenting. Hey -- did anyone notice the Javascript?"

So, I'm torn...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

burpen

Postby burpen » Mon May 06, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:

Unfortunately.

Careful, don't interrupt the circlejerk!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 06, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
higgs-boson wrote:

Unfortunately.

Well, I see your point, and I definitely agree that "Oooh, me too!" is never a great idea for a post or an action.

But, KetchupBlitzing posts typically cover replies that are still current enough to be relevant (if there is such a thing in this thread), so I don't have a problem with those.

And, being willing to go back and read the entire OTT is commendable and a valiant quest -- and I actually prefer it to someone arriving over 500 NewPages in and going, "I have no idea what's going on, but that's not going to prevent me from commenting. Hey -- did anyone notice the Javascript?"

So, I'm torn...

Well, it could be argued that Blitzing goes against the very point of the OTC, in that the OTC itself doesn't allow you to go back, only to exist in the everchanging now.

I'm not arguing that, but it could be argued.
“have i gone mad?

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Mon May 06, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

And I have got to the end of page 111.

I offer encouragement and cake to all others ketchup-ing with past pages and blitzing. And so on. Go us! :lol: :lol:

Edit: And now I have got here on my proper blitz, I shall say this: C'mon other blitzers! We can do it!
Last edited by TheMinim on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Mon May 06, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

Is there still people talking about the actual topic of the OTT, the OTC? Reading the last posts, it gives me the impression that what happens here is more important than what happens in the OTC... :lol: :mrgreen:
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon May 06, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

Arky wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Exodies wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:<snip>
Edit: oh. The instrumental I have is longer than the original. Anyone wanna write a fourth verse? :D Or it could just keep going "boom de yada" for a slightly awkwardly long amount of time...

I could do you a custom instrumental track if you want :) (I'm a musician/composer/producer type dude, not that anyone would know that yet as I haven't really properly introduced myself on these fora... but hey, you know now!)

Sure, whip it out as Frank would say. I think everyone would be delighted to hear it.

Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

I love this.

Blitzgirl's original made it all worthwhile, and your musical rendering has made it all worthwhile a second time over.

Yes!
And I love your pronunciation of everything too - especially "bot". :)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon May 06, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:.... the very point of the OTC.......

I'm not sure that's been determined yet. I myself am still Waiting for it.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon May 06, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

Blind posting from page 539

mscha wrote:EVENSONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq0HTOGtfSw

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 06, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
Dracomax wrote:.... the very point of the OTC.......

I'm not sure that's been determined yet. I myself am still Waiting for it.

Which is but one reason I said it was arguable, but that I wasn't arguing it.

I'm just saying if Randall meant for us to look at the past, he would have uploaded the files with easily predictable names so we could go backwards. :P
Last edited by Dracomax on Mon May 06, 2013 1:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“have i gone mad?

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon May 06, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:Now... Epigones I tend to skip.
BlitzGirling is not done as a "me too" activity. It is done for deep personal enrichment. I cannot imagine anybody reading twenty thousand posts just to be able to say "me too", and actually sticking with it. Even if somebody starts out that way, if they actually pursue the Quest to the end, they cannot help but emerge a changed person.

Granted, signposts can be interesting or dull, but that's a function of the content and style of the post itself, not of the simple fact that it is a non-BlitzGirl signpost. The same can be said of any of the twenty thousand "ordinary" posts on this thread.

It would be illustrative to visit the very first page and re-read the comments that were posted at the Beginning of Time, before we had the experience with Time that we have now. The significance and impact of what you call "Epigones" are yet to be determined, and in fact we now have a Voyager who has undertaken to read the first 173 pages (which had occurred prior to his2 entry into Time). I expect that the Gospel that will be created thereby will have some interesting perspective.

We simply must Wait For It.

Jose
2could be her - it's hard to tell.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

Ping Pong

Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Mon May 06, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

So I was MIA all weekend, and am not going to try to Blitzgirl it at this point. Too much going on Outside that I am needed for. That said, please correct me if I am being horribly redundant in any way.

And I know this is an Other comic, but I can't help feel as though this is related to the OTT. At least when I left, the footnotes were becoming a thing. Image
Last edited by cari.j.elliot on Mon May 06, 2013 1:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon May 06, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:I'm just saying if Randall meant for us took at the past, he would have uploaded the files with easily predictable names so we could go backwards. :P

Well-played, Dracomax! Now you've given me the giggles! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 06, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:

Unfortunately.

and
XonqNopp wrote:Is there still people talking about the actual topic of the OTT, the OTC? Reading the last posts, it gives me the impression that what happens here is more important than what happens in the OTC... :lol: :mrgreen:

and many more...

Well, IMO, the OTT is about much more than the OTC, including the OTT itself.
Blitzing and all that has inspired – time travel, and some ingenious time engineering – especially BlitzGirl's Quest itself, but also her followers', are for me a major part of the OTT experience.
If we were just talking about the OTC, it'd get pretty boring, especially when there are 23 newpix in a row where nothing is happening.

We will discuss the OTC, of course, as long as there is something to discuss.

But of course, it's a free world thread, if someone wants to skip the epigones, feel free to do so.

Edit: also, what ucim said.
Last edited by mscha on Mon May 06, 2013 1:34 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon May 06, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:End of page 95! Great! Cake!

What did we do before Time, anyway? Anyone?

Dunno -- read SMBC and TheOatmeal? Remember to feed the kids and pick them up after [generic sports] practice?
We must stop the thread. Think of the Children!
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon May 06, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

That was pretty cute. Maybe even cuter than the pailevator (yes, jjjdavidson, that is fun to say - cheers!)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirling is not done as a "me too" activity. It is done for deep personal enrichment. I cannot imagine anybody reading twenty thousand posts just to be able to say "me too", and actually sticking with it. Even if somebody starts out that way, if they actually pursue the Quest to the end, they cannot help but emerge a changed person.

Granted, signposts can be interesting or dull, but that's a function of the content and style of the post itself, not of the simple fact that it is a non-BlitzGirl signpost. The same can be said of any of the twenty thousand "ordinary" posts on this thread.

It would be illustrative to visit the very first page and re-read the comments that were posted at the Beginning of Time, before we had the experience with Time that we have now. The significance and impact of what you call "Epigones" are yet to be determined, and in fact we now have a Voyager who has undertaken to read the first 173 pages (which had occurred prior to his2 entry into Time). I expect that the Gospel that will be created thereby will have some interesting perspective.

We simply must Wait For It.

Jose
2could be her - it's hard to tell.

Excellent points. I concur. My torness is resolved -- BlitzGirling is a Holy quest, and signposts from a Bliter's personal journey are welcome.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon May 06, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

Well, I hate to break it to you, but the whole thing is a setup. With the exception of you (Dracomax) and me (and I'm not quite sure about me, actually), all the posts are generated with a collection of postbots Randall repurposed from his bigcoin mining toolset. All you real-people browsers out there: don't try to post or you will be assimilated!
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon May 06, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:With puns, you either get it or you don't. They're kinda like the venereal disease of humor...

XonqNopp wrote:Is there still people talking about the actual topic of the OTT, the OTC? Reading the last posts, it gives me the impression that what happens here is more important than what happens in the OTC... :lol: :mrgreen:

I'm never on topic, but I've been excused by my doctor due to having caught a raging case of the puns.

descor

Postby descor » Mon May 06, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:With puns, you either get it or you don't. They're kinda like the venereal disease of humor...

I'm never on topic, but I've been excused by my doctor due to having caught a raging case of the puns.

Sounds punful1.

1Sorry, that was punticularly poor.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon May 06, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirling is not done as a "me too" activity. It is done for deep personal enrichment. [...]

I'd be happy if one priorizes the readability of the thread over one's own need for self-discovery and self-fulfilment. So far we all may have changed during Time, and we may continue changing. Repeated reading of poster's posts trying to board a ship already sailed weeks ago* changes me in a way I don't like. If it is commonly accepted and encouraged to do so for whatever reason, I'll accept it, too, and part ways.

*Yes, I know. Blasphemy.

descor

Postby descor » Mon May 06, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
ucim wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirling is not done as a "me too" activity. It is done for deep personal enrichment. [...]

I'd be happy if one priorizes the readability of the thread over one's own need for self-discovery and self-fulfilment. So far we all may have changed during Time, and we may continue changing. Repeated reading of poster's posts trying to board a ship already sailed weeks ago* changes me in a way I don't like. If it is commonly accepted and encouraged to do so for whatever reason, I'll accept it, too, and part ways.

*Yes, I know. Blasphemy.

I guess each will have their own preference. I don't post ketchup postwalls, but mainly because I normally ketchup on my phone1, but I like reading other people's post walls and cheering on the Blitzers who are questing through the past. Could you not just skip the ketchup posts you don't like? Surely that beats parting ways?

1Not as messy as it sounds.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Mon May 06, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:

Do you mean:
Sheldon Cooper wrote:I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Mon May 06, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

(Greetings from NP522!)
Google Bot wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
fhorn wrote:I feel like the golden retriever in the back of the family car, just hanging my head out the window, tongue flapping, enjoying the ride.

Until the moment you realize they are taking you to the butchery.

WTH? I read fhorn's quote and thought, haha, that's cute, I can just picture it. Than I read Aluisio's post. Who takes a golden retriever to a butchery? Who even suggests the idea of taking a golden retriever to a butchery? Aluisio, are you Cruella DeVille's alter ego?

You insolent fools. I'd imagine you half-bits would have figured it out by now. Here's a hint: where exactly do you think the power for Google's (TM) vast datacenters comes from?

I think this series from an OHC (outsider heretical comic) explains Google's power best (they're all funny, but the best one is the last!):
Help Desk - Google Ftagn!
Help Desk - Another disadvantage of low ceilings
Help Desk - It also comes in mauvemustard
Help Desk - Arcanum Bureaucratica
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

descor wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
ucim wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

*Yes, I know. Blasphemy.

I guess each will have their own preference. I don't post ketchup postwalls, but mainly because I normally ketchup on my phone1, but I like reading other people's post walls and cheering on the Blitzers who are questing through the past. Could you not just skip the ketchup posts you don't like? Surely that beats parting ways?

1Not as messy as it sounds.

Absolutely -- no need to leave over it.

Besides, Time changes everything, does it not? Remember when the religions of Time dominated the postings? And now they've faded.

So, I suspect it will be the same with the Blitzbombing of Blitzposts.

This too shall pass. You just have to Wait for It...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Mon May 06, 2013 1:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon May 06, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Repeated reading of poster's posts trying to board a ship already sailed weeks ago* changes me in a way I don't like. If it is commonly accepted and encouraged to do so for whatever reason, I'll accept it, too, and part ways.
It is better to part ways than to be changed for the worse. But it is also not necessary to do so, if other aspects of the OTT enrich you. You can choose to skip over signposts, and you can even automate the process by putting Questers in your foes list. (Yes, this has the side effect of filtering them from other threads, unless there are other settings with which I am not familiar.) Clever javascripters could probably provide a custom piece of code that would superspoiler Questers, but only when reading the OTT, without naming them as foes. (I wish that word wasn't used by the forum software; there are, as you see, other reasons to filter posts).

The river of time is broad1, and people pass through it, some for a time, and some for all of Time, as fits their own state. However and wherever you choose to partake, or to abstain, you will be welcome.

Jose
1not to be confused with the River of Tam, who is a ... "overseas" . :)

burpen

Postby burpen » Mon May 06, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

descor wrote:Could you not just skip the ketchup posts you don't like?

Spoiler:
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nam eu iaculis felis. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Duis et ipsum neque, vitae luctus lorem. Vivamus vel dictum lorem. Donec facilisis, lorem blitz venenatis consequat consectetur, dolor nisi volutpat ante, nec molestie Here's sapien dolor dapibus eros. Aliquam mollis molestie auctor. Cras sed feugiat sapien. Nullam congue dapibus metus vitae tempor. Donec placerat, quam in pharetra imperdiet, enim eros fringilla libero, consequat porta ligula mauris non est. Pellentesque sodales nisl eget odio scelerisque hendrerit. Duis tristique purus ac metus consectetur pulvinar. Vivamus volutpat cursus dignissim. Duis elementum rutrum tellus et convallis. Cras lorem mi, bibendum convallis porttitor in, vehicula ut dui.

Cras consequat nulla volutpat sem bibendum aliquam. Praesent non tincidunt velit. Nam non leo erat, non ultrices nisi. Praesent luctus semper convallis. Duis enim justo, ullamcorper ac fringilla eget, tincidunt nec quam. Cras convallis porta luctus. Praesent pulvinar vehicula massa non ornare. Ut blitz condimentum sapien justo, in vulputate nulla. In sed lectus what odio, eget eleifend magna. Cras ut nisl diam, condimentum ornare nunc. Suspendisse a sem sed neque volutpat luctus non vitae est. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Duis vel velit eget magna imperdiet bibendum. Cras eget urna mauris. Phasellus libero lacus, venenatis id placerat vel, malesuada sit amet quam. Curabitur sollicitudin feugiat eros, facilisis posuere justo tincidunt ut.

Donec in erat magna, et rutrum elit. Suspendisse quam felis, dapibus a ultrices nec, consectetur eget magna. Morbi consectetur nisl nunc, vitae commodo neque. Duis arcu nisi, tempus vitae blitz scelerisque et, faucibus quis ipsum. Mauris ac turpis arcu, ultrices tempor est. Vestibulum at tortor eros, sed posuere magna. Aliquam tempus, nisl a tempor interdum, dui that lacus semper quam, ut tincidunt mi enim vitae augue. Integer eu enim in est pulvinar tincidunt vitae nec turpis. Duis mauris turpis, mollis at venenatis a, consectetur ut lacus.

Vivamus eros justo, auctor vel consectetur eu, rhoncus et leo. Donec vel tortor quam, vel adipiscing dui. Ut rutrum leo dui. Fusce sit amet lectus augue, ac adipiscing mi. Aliquam blitz risus arcu, viverra sit amet suscipit ac, congue in velit. In eu mi luctus arcu viverra porta vel id lectus. Proin nibh dolor, fermentum non auctor ut, placerat eget lectus. Quisque non tincidunt dolor. Nam blandit ultrices turpis, non sodales mauris fringilla vel. In ac ornare enim. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur feels adipiscing elit. Maecenas sed quam tortor. Cras pulvinar arcu ac risus tristique sit amet condimentum urna accumsan. Mauris ultricies fringilla metus iaculis gravida. Pellentesque id nunc in augue lobortis dignissim. Nullam tincidunt tincidunt mi sit amet gravida.

Vivamus pellentesque nibh non lacus lacinia eu laoreet odio mattis. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Praesent sit amet molestie blitz nisl. Phasellus ac leo id quam dapibus blandit laoreet ac eros. Etiam accumsan eros et erat ultrices sollicitudin. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Praesent ac urna ac diam aliquet lacinia like.1 Cras at sapien neque, sit amet commodo ante. Suspendisse eget justo diam. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Curabitur sapien mauris, tristique ut semper vitae, facilisis eget augue. Nulla mauris odio, sodales dignissim tincidunt a, congue eu lacus.

1 When you don't care about all of that information.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 06, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

burpen wrote:
descor wrote:Could you not just skip the ketchup posts you don't like?

Spoiler:
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nam eu iaculis felis. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Duis et ipsum neque, vitae luctus lorem. Vivamus vel dictum lorem. Donec facilisis, lorem blitz venenatis consequat consectetur, dolor nisi volutpat ante, nec molestie Here's sapien dolor dapibus eros. Aliquam mollis molestie auctor. Cras sed feugiat sapien. Nullam congue dapibus metus vitae tempor. Donec placerat, quam in pharetra imperdiet, enim eros fringilla libero, consequat porta ligula mauris non est. Pellentesque sodales nisl eget odio scelerisque hendrerit. Duis tristique purus ac metus consectetur pulvinar. Vivamus volutpat cursus dignissim. Duis elementum rutrum tellus et convallis. Cras lorem mi, bibendum convallis porttitor in, vehicula ut dui.

Cras consequat nulla volutpat sem bibendum aliquam. Praesent non tincidunt velit. Nam non leo erat, non ultrices nisi. Praesent luctus semper convallis. Duis enim justo, ullamcorper ac fringilla eget, tincidunt nec quam. Cras convallis porta luctus. Praesent pulvinar vehicula massa non ornare. Ut blitz condimentum sapien justo, in vulputate nulla. In sed lectus what odio, eget eleifend magna. Cras ut nisl diam, condimentum ornare nunc. Suspendisse a sem sed neque volutpat luctus non vitae est. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Duis vel velit eget magna imperdiet bibendum. Cras eget urna mauris. Phasellus libero lacus, venenatis id placerat vel, malesuada sit amet quam. Curabitur sollicitudin feugiat eros, facilisis posuere justo tincidunt ut.

Donec in erat magna, et rutrum elit. Suspendisse quam felis, dapibus a ultrices nec, consectetur eget magna. Morbi consectetur nisl nunc, vitae commodo neque. Duis arcu nisi, tempus vitae blitz scelerisque et, faucibus quis ipsum. Mauris ac turpis arcu, ultrices tempor est. Vestibulum at tortor eros, sed posuere magna. Aliquam tempus, nisl a tempor interdum, dui that lacus semper quam, ut tincidunt mi enim vitae augue. Integer eu enim in est pulvinar tincidunt vitae nec turpis. Duis mauris turpis, mollis at venenatis a, consectetur ut lacus.

Vivamus eros justo, auctor vel consectetur eu, rhoncus et leo. Donec vel tortor quam, vel adipiscing dui. Ut rutrum leo dui. Fusce sit amet lectus augue, ac adipiscing mi. Aliquam blitz risus arcu, viverra sit amet suscipit ac, congue in velit. In eu mi luctus arcu viverra porta vel id lectus. Proin nibh dolor, fermentum non auctor ut, placerat eget lectus. Quisque non tincidunt dolor. Nam blandit ultrices turpis, non sodales mauris fringilla vel. In ac ornare enim. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur feels adipiscing elit. Maecenas sed quam tortor. Cras pulvinar arcu ac risus tristique sit amet condimentum urna accumsan. Mauris ultricies fringilla metus iaculis gravida. Pellentesque id nunc in augue lobortis dignissim. Nullam tincidunt tincidunt mi sit amet gravida.

Vivamus pellentesque nibh non lacus lacinia eu laoreet odio mattis. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Praesent sit amet molestie blitz nisl. Phasellus ac leo id quam dapibus blandit laoreet ac eros. Etiam accumsan eros et erat ultrices sollicitudin. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Praesent ac urna ac diam aliquet lacinia like.1 Cras at sapien neque, sit amet commodo ante. Suspendisse eget justo diam. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Curabitur sapien mauris, tristique ut semper vitae, facilisis eget augue. Nulla mauris odio, sodales dignissim tincidunt a, congue eu lacus.

1 When you don't care about all of that information.

Defacing Lorem Ipsum is heresy. I hereby sentence you to 5 minutes listening to bad comedians. Here's Carrot Top.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRCbFU481nw
“have i gone mad?

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon May 06, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:

Unfortunately.

<snip>
Blitzing and all that has inspired – time travel, and some ingenious time engineering – especially BlitzGirl's Quest itself, but also her followers', are for me a major part of the OTT experience.
If we were just talking about the OTC, it'd get pretty boring, especially when there are 23 newpix in a row where nothing is happening.

But of course, it's a free world thread, if someone wants to skip the epigones, feel free to do so.

Of course, those who want to post solely about the comic are free to do so.
I do feel that the Blitzers should avoid quoting the signposts of previous Blitzers. Comment on what is going on where you are reading, fine. Commenting on what others are commenting on about what they were reading when everyone else was commenting just leads to madness. And not it a good way.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon May 06, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

descor wrote:I guess each will have their own preference. I don't post ketchup postwalls, but mainly because I normally ketchup on my phone [...]

These are different things. Ketchup ends in the present and after composing (but yet before submitting) one is well aware of even the latest happenings. I did that, too. And most of the times I deleted the older parts from the editor because the things I wanted to write were already written or proven outdated even before I hit the "Submit" button.

This shall be my last post regarding this issue. I don't want to spoil the mood, although this may have happened, already. :? Sorry.

PS: 5 minutes? Make that 10! Argh!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 06, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:

Unfortunately.

<snip>

Of course, those who want to post solely about the comic are free to do so.
I do feel that the Blitzers should avoid quoting the signposts of previous Blitzers. Comment on what is going on where you are reading, fine. Commenting on what others are commenting on about what they were reading when everyone else was commenting just leads to madness. And not it a good way.

Honestly? that's my problem. It just becomes incredibly recursive in a bad way. And eventually, I see a time when that is all this thread is.
Last edited by Dracomax on Mon May 06, 2013 2:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“have i gone mad?

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon May 06, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote: This shall be my last post regarding this issue. I don't want to spoil the mood, although this may have happened, already. :? Sorry.

PS: 5 minutes? Make that 10! Argh!

Mood unspoiled! says the golden retriever Look what we've survived/tolerated/made fun of/thrown pies at/deemed heretical/loved..... Religion, madness, puns, hashthingies, song parodies and much mental masturbation. Kingdoms won and lost. Pilgrims gained, and lost, and regained. It's all good.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 06, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

SUMMERLONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”