1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
SBN wrote:[snip]
I want to go on record here and say I'm now against the delay of newpixbot. Let's just let it post the image as soon as it can, and others can race to post the first -ONG or comment afterward, if they so choose.

I'd like to take the opposing view and say I like having the newpix posted by postbots wetware such as myself, with newpixbot to backstop us. I don't want to grow complacent that newpixbot will always be there. mscha after all is a volunteer, not an employee of xkcd. If, in two or three years, mscha wants to take a vacation, where are we then?

Indeed. Besides, if we let only the newpixbot post the newpix, there wouldn't be any opportunity to come up with new, clever ONGs (the newpixbot recycles its ONGs).

jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
burpen wrote:
jello34543 wrote:What about the many (too lazy to go count) panels that made up Click and Drag? Also, those were individually huge, so shouldn't they count extra?

explainxkcd wrote:The click-and-drag portion of [1110] is divided up into 2592 sections of 2048x2048 pixels.

If you consider each comic number to be n + 2591, then it would collide on frame 3847 (comic 1256) at 2913-08-27 06:00 EDT.

...After doing that calculation, I realized you were maybe asking about when it would hit frame 2592. That would be 2013-07-05 23:00 EDT.

Someone should really check my math though.

Actually, Click and Drag only contained 225 distinct panels. Empty spots were filled in by solid white or solid black panels as needed.

However, how many different panels were there to Umwelt? Is anybody even sure that all of its panels were discovered?

Oh you're clever. I wonder how many unique views that page has...
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

burpen

Postby burpen » Mon May 06, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Actually, Click and Drag only contained 225 distinct panels. Empty spots were filled in by solid white or solid black panels as needed.

OK, n+224 would put us at frame 1437 (comic 1213), on 2013-05-18 20:00 EDT.

jjjdavidson wrote:However, how many different panels were there to Umwelt? Is anybody even sure that all of its panels were discovered?

Yeah, I thought about that briefly. Also consider Externalities, which constantly changed its content... how many panels should be considered there?

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

DISTANT FLASH FLOODONGGGGG
Crescat tempus; vita excolatur

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

"This river doesn't look like that."
So then this river probably doesn't have any hill people (Deliverance, anyone?) living near it, most likely.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Mon May 06, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

FirstPost bump...
mlong wrote:Hello all! I've gone into delurkification mode since we hit page 500. Seemed like a good enough time to do so! (Though I did consider waiting 'til 2^9.)
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon May 06, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Huh, when did Aubronwood add the Day and Time of Newpic under the newpic # ? I just noticed it.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:"This river doesn't look like that."
So then this river probably doesn't have any hill people (Deliverance, anyone?) living near it, most likely.

Or its largeness1 prevents any debris from significantly altering its depth/composition/activity. Let's just wait and see what comes out of the river. We can't beat it, after all.

1: Though still not as large as the Sea, which is and always will be Big.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Mon May 06, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Thanks for bringing the discussion up because I would have never assumed he was coma-talking and that she poked him awake! To discover/read this whilst listening to this weirdness someone sent me made it even more startling and perfect¹. Five minutes in it starts to sound like waves on a shore.

¹: tiny note - i do not regularly like this artist.

That is actually really good. The only problem is that now I have to live the rest of my life knowing that I once spent over half a TimeFrame listening to Justin Bieber.

akacat wrote:
Smithers wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Tried Googlfying it, but couldn't find a band that already has that name. But I did find you some sort of FanFic called Cupcakes Full of Remorse. Will that work?

I read a fanfic called Cupcakes once; though the only remorse involved was other readers being sorry they ever went near it.

Would you be referring to the MLP Cupcakes? I rather assumed that "Cupcakes Full of Remorse" could have only been written in reply to it.

Yes, I was; and no, they are unrelated.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 06, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:
mscha wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
Dracomax wrote:so...has anyone figured out yet at what point the number of people blitzposting will outnumber the number of people currentposting?

My guess, based entirely on a refusal to collect the easily findable data, is that in about 150 Timeframes, the then-current newpage will be composed entirely of people posting signposts from the past.

Unfortunately.

It was fun with BlitzGirl. Talent and|or practice met a beautiful idea and the result was highly entertaining.

Now... Epigones I tend to skip. :?
<snip>
Well, IMO, the OTT is about much more than the OTC, including the OTT itself.
Blitzing and all that has inspired – time travel, and some ingenious time engineering – especially BlitzGirl's Quest itself, but also her followers', are for me a major part of the OTT experience.
If we were just talking about the OTC, it'd get pretty boring, especially when there are 23 newpix in a row where nothing is happening.
We will discuss the OTC, of course, as long as there is something to discuss.

But of course, it's a free world thread, if someone wants to skip the epigones, feel free to do so.

Edit: also, what ucim said.

Of course, those who want to post solely about the comic are free to do so.
I do feel that the Blitzers should avoid quoting the signposts of previous Blitzers. Comment on what is going on where you are reading, fine. Commenting on what others are commenting on about what they were reading when everyone else was commenting just leads to madness. And not it a good way.

Honestly? that's my problem. It just becomes incredibly recursive in a bad way. And eventually, I see a time when that is all this thread is.

Anybody want some cheese to go with that? What a depressing few newpages. It appears the latest topic of complaint has shifted from "thread too full of religion" to "thread too full of newpixbot" to "thread too full of blitzers." I would discuss it more, but as someone who has read the OTT throughout its various mood swings, I realize that this too shall pass, and pretty soon everyone will find something else to get in a tizzy over. All I have to do is Wait for it. Note to blitzers: it would be more helpful to others if you begin your signposts with a notation, as I did, so those who are not reading all of the thread of Time may skip them if they so choose (and please, spoiler your text walls).

I will point out that Latent22 predicted the moment when the OTT would become nothing but signposts:
Spoiler:

It seems that there should be an -ism for people concerned that the OTT is coming to an end, or at least one for those who want to shake their canes angrily at all of those hooligans contributing to the downturn of thread society.

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
The Time goes ever on and on
Down from the beach where it began.
Now far ahead Cuegan have gone,
And we must follow, if we can,
Pursuing them with weary eye,
Until it ends, or loops some way,
Where castles and trebuchets lie.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- adapted from The Road Goes Ever On by Bilbo Baggins

I love this. :D

yappobiscuits wrote:<snip> I've actually already cut the comic up into individual frames, but thinking about it, it would be better if they were higher res... I'll ask BlitzGirl if she's got higher res original versions when she next pops up... or indeed, BlitzGirl, if you see this while on a tomato-based condiment, dost thou have them?

Here's the largest size I have:
http://vpx.pl/i/2013/05/06/TimeThreadLarge.png
And now everyone can see my mistakes in full-sized glory! Yay?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 06, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Huh, when did Aubronwood add the Day and Time of Newpic under the newpic # ? I just noticed it.

I would say sometime within the past 12 hours, it want there last night when I was using it.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon May 06, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

mscha wrote:And not just any dialong, but it tells us:
  • There are other people. In the hills.
  • Their river is definitely seasonal, or prone to flash floods.

It's also can tell us that their river isn't connected this river, since they seem to know it (their river) comes from the hills.

HAL9000 wrote:
Rule110 wrote:Also the first conclusive evidence of vegetation. We could assume that the poles, planks, rope, flags, bags, etc. were vegetable in origin, but no visible plants have appeared yet.

Who knows? They've gone far enough inland that we might see some plants soon, or they could be walking on short grass.
EDIT: VMPC!

*Memory may be malfunctioning* In the "Other Comics" doesn't Randall only show use vegetation if it pertains to the comic?

"This river doesn't look like that."

(Using my "out west" experience) The Gallatin River is small and white-water (esp. towards Yellowstone Park) while the Yellowstone River is wide and placid (esp. from Billings and downriver) so use of the word "river" can mean wildly different things.
Also, it shows they haven't done much exploring in this direction, since this river is much further than "their" river is and they know (somehow) there are people upstream from them.

{I don't always go after all U-Tube links but here's a river one I found:
W.C. Clark Blues Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA3_phor ... detailpage}

Edit : song title
- Take Me To The River
Last edited by pelrigg on Mon May 06, 2013 6:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon May 06, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Valarya wrote:Huh, when did Aubronwood add the Day and Time of Newpic under the newpic # ? I just noticed it.

I would say sometime within the past 12 hours, it want there last night when I was using it.

It was there about 21 Newpix ago:
Platonix wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. For those who didn't already know: the Book of Aubron has been healed of its impurities. It no longer contains heretical copies of that one frame. It's also been updated to display the Outside's way of describing when the frame first aired on the site.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Mon May 06, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
descor wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
ucim wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:Now... Epigones I tend to skip.
Well, I see your point, and I definitely agree that "Oooh, me too!" is never a great idea for a post or an action.
BlitzGirling is not done as a "me too" activity. It is done for deep personal enrichment. [...]

I'd be happy if one priorizes the readability of the thread over one's own need for self-discovery and self-fulfilment. So far we all may have changed during Time, and we may continue changing. Repeated reading of poster's posts trying to board a ship already sailed weeks ago* changes me in a way I don't like. If it is commonly accepted and encouraged to do so for whatever reason, I'll accept it, too, and part ways.

*Yes, I know. Blasphemy.

I guess each will have their own preference. I don't post ketchup postwalls, but mainly because I normally ketchup on my phone1, but I like reading other people's post walls and cheering on the Blitzers who are questing through the past. Could you not just skip the ketchup posts you don't like? Surely that beats parting ways?

1Not as messy as it sounds.

Absolutely -- no need to leave over it.

Besides, Time changes everything, does it not? Remember when the religions of Time dominated the postings? And now they've faded.

So, I suspect it will be the same with the Blitzbombing of Blitzposts.

This too shall pass. You just have to Wait for It...

I wonder if someone could make an era graph for the OTT, alongside the one for the OTC. We would have the rot13 period, the y'all period, the haiku period, the religion era, and so on.
Maybe blitzers could do it?
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon May 06, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:

Well at least he still exists!! He slapped that page all up in the OTT and just *poof* disappeared.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

Ok, let's see if I can put this all into a synopsis, just to try and clarify some questions:

-- Megan and Cueball start out on some beach, then decide to build a sand castle
-- The sand castle gets increasingly complex, involving scaffolding and elevated layers of sand-like material
-- During all of this, the sea-like liquid continues to rise, and it eventually starts to erode the lower level of the castle
-- M & C have a series of short, cryptic discussions about water, the sea, rain, and rivers.
-- They decide to leave their castle to go exploring for rivers or rain or whatever that's "out there" which is feeding water into the sea and making it rise.
-- A little girl makes a few brief appearances at the castle, but goes un-noticed by both Megan and Cueball.
-- After traveling a while -- enough that that express concern that they might need to use the "steam bottle" -- they find a river.
-- They conclude the river they've found is not big enough to supply all the water needed to raise the sea. But it doesn't look broken, either.
-- They then decide to hike upriver to find a ford, but as they're hiking they see that this river widens, and that "maybe it is big enough to fill the sea."
-- They pause to rest (and perhaps Cueball even dozes), then discuss that this river isn't "much farther from home than 'ours' at its driest," and that "when 'our' river gets too big it fills with stuff". But this river doesn't "look like that."

So. What can we learn from this?

Uh.......

Damn. I got nothin'.

Sorry, but the synopsis doesn't help. It just leads to more questions, and it's starting to feel like trying to find clear meaning in a Bergman film...

Spoiler:

EDIT: Oh, and 500th post! W00t!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

kryton

Postby kryton » Mon May 06, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

Accidental Time Tourist Journal
Coordinates top of page 438 of 551

Fell behind some more since this past weekend was a packed band weekend.

Darn spoilers, LOL. Buffy's Sig led me to BlitzGirl's "Boom De Yadda" and Loved it, but that means I experienced it before it happens (??? paradox or only a monodox???)
I can empathize now with Blitzgirl's comments that sometimes it looks impossible, the density of comments per newpix goes up and you think you will never make it, but still I take strength knowing she made it and I can also.

CatHectic left a request in the past for Blitzgirl to pick up come comfort strength remembrance and courage herbs on her way past saltwater and sea strands. I hope she found them for you.

mittfh I agree, this needs KLF's "Doctoring the Tardis"

Eutychus wrote:But imagine how much longer this thread could become (and the number of denominations of the religion that could be spawned) if an indistinct figure was seen to be entering the frame from one side immediately prior to the total whiteout.

Another candidate for Randall pwning us or spy for the great creator leaking the future like a crack in the Tardis? since it came true if I can believe Geekwagon?

buffygirl wrote:..... JUST NOW, when on page 433 !! And it was by mistake!!!! I friggin spoilered myself!
I inadvertently clicked my aubronwood tab and there she was, LaPetite! I froze, and I think my heart stopped for just a moment. But I couldn't skip ahead on the thread! And so I continued reading through the newpages, catching up, seeing the bleak mood worsen, knowing that hope was just around the corner, but unable to provide any hope!
But now we have all found hope -- let me get those hats finished!

Hmm, La Petite's name is Hope! I like that.

And now the iceberg cleaves free of the glacier (big lump of not quite right most castle but righmost after the fall of the seawall).

I look at Jonal79's avatar and I keep thinking "Thing 2 and Thing 1".

Encouraging sig:
Valarya wrote:Go Go Space Pope Kryton and Vytron and all those true Blitzers!

I like the adjective Blitzer, I blushed trying to tell someone I was BlitzGirling, just so .... naughty sounding.

Slogging through the fading, but I know an end is in sight (thanks to folks who pasted the img as time.png instead of the hashed.png, LOL.

I must away, ere break of rush hour traffic, I ride before the break of some idiot who forgot to gas up before getting on the superslab...
1298 and counting

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Mon May 06, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:<snip>
Also, it shows they haven't done much exploring in this direction, since this river is much further than "their" river is and they know (somehow) there are people upstream from them.

Sorry, very small correction on that: in frame 1093, Cueball says about the current river1 that "it is not much farther from home than ours2 at its driest". But indeed, they (or at least Megan) haven't walked this far in this direction.

1that we now know to be bigger than theirs3
2small
3see 2
Last edited by Magdiragdag on Mon May 06, 2013 6:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wait for it, therefore I am.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 06, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

It was there about 21 Newpix ago:
Platonix wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. For those who didn't already know: the Book of Aubron has been healed of its impurities. It no longer contains heretical copies of that one frame. It's also been updated to display the Outside's way of describing when the frame first aired on the site.

Thank you SBN, I was outside for a while so got stuck in that frame of time, thank you for the correction : )
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon May 06, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

Magdiragdag wrote:

Sorry, small correction on that: in frame 1093, Cueball says about the current river that "it is not much farther from home than ours at its driest". But indeed, they (or at least Megan) haven't walked this far in this direction.

Megan said, "Not this way." That could mean not in this direction, or not on foot.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Mon May 06, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Magdiragdag wrote:

Sorry, small correction on that: in frame 1093, Cueball says about the current river that "it is not much farther from home than ours at its driest". But indeed, they (or at least Megan) haven't walked this far in this direction.

Megan said, "Not this way." That could mean not in this direction, or not on foot.

Thanks, I hadn't realised that 'this way' could also have meant a means of transport.
I wait for it, therefore I am.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

Wow... over the last week I have struggled with trying to find the time to read the OTT, and have methodically worked myself 92 pages into the past. I know I must read it, but I can't help but wonder what all had changed. Has Cuegan found what they were looking for? Has LaPetite saved the sandcastle from impending doom? Has Time entered some form of looping state, whether identical to the initial run with certain changes to either the scene or the dialogue?

Now that I seem to be back to normal with my schedule, and should be able to more easily stave off Outside distractions, I suppose I will learn the answers to these questions as I attempt to Blitzgirl through Time, back to the present. Wish me luck!
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon May 06, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

Magdiragdag wrote:

:oops: One of the problems with a typing rate of words-per-hour is that I think up the sentence and while typing will over a muchly needed word :twisted:
{One of the problems with a typing rate of words-per-hour is that I think up the sentence and while typing will -skip- over a muchly needed word}

While past-posting is being discussed: PhoenixRising said:
I was just waiting for this. WP. (Also: this reminds me, I propose you be given the title of Witmaster. Although I don't have exact numbers, I'd swear you have more wikiquotes than anyone else, and most of those were humor.)

and I, in my HUMBle1-ness thought it was directed at me because I was in the quote used. I then saw {later} that it was directed at StratPlayer, which makes oodles more sense. (At least I didn't put set up a sig using that)

Edit added footnote
1Head Up My Butt -look everyone-
Last edited by pelrigg on Mon May 06, 2013 7:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

EMPTYONGGGGG

StratPlayer wrote:So. What can we learn from this?

That Cuegan live by an intermittent, small river that is highly dependent on human and climactic activity, and that now they have stumbled upon a much grander river that behaves like a great river. And we will soon learn more...

Added: Is Cuegan singular? I suppose I should say Cuegan lives.
Last edited by Copernicium112 on Mon May 06, 2013 7:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 06, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

No, Megan, Cueball is the one that's supposed to make the dumb remarks!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 06, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

I was going to respond to the libelous assertion that I am just an old man shaking my cane at a forum that has degraded to listening to darnfool rock and roll music and playing with their pokeymans, but honestly, I couldn't make it snarky/silly enough.

So, I'm just going to say, "Get off my lawn, you darn hooligans"
A river that flows through empty places...Nice desolate imagery.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
I was just waiting for this. WP. (Also: this reminds me, I propose you be given the title of Witmaster. Although I don't have exact numbers, I'd swear you have more wikiquotes than anyone else, and most of those were humor.)

and I, in my HUMBle1-ness thought it was directed at me because I was in the quote used. I then saw {later} that it was directed at StratPlayer, which makes oodles more sense. (At least I didn't put set up a sig using that)

Edit added footnote

:lol: It's all good. I've also made replies to comments that weren't directed at me; wrote bad-verse with messed up meter because I couldn't count syllables (and went out of my way to call attention to it); got excited because I was the Pope of the "Pi" page -- on page 341 (and went out of my way to call attention to it); and -- most recently -- have posted a link to some gay porn fanfic that I didn't bother to read first.

And those are just the examples of cranial-rectal-insertion that have been caught....
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon May 06, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
Eutychus wrote:But imagine how much longer this thread could become (and the number of denominations of the religion that could be spawned) if an indistinct figure was seen to be entering the frame from one side immediately prior to the total whiteout.
Another candidate for Randall pwning us or spy for the great creator leaking the future like a crack in the Tardis? since it came true if I can believe Geekwagon?

I'm glad somebody noticed. Even if it was about 100 pages later...
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon May 06, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Sorry, but the synopsis doesn't help. It just leads to more questions, and it's starting to feel like trying to find clear meaning in a Bergman film...

Spoiler:

I got *so* excited by your Seventh Seal reference that I couldn't even be bothered¹ to comment on that wonderful (and also cryptic) synopsis.

¹: Heresy?

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 06, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

Edit: Damn forum software. Lost another post while submitting. Seems OTT moved on at this point anyways. La-la-la...sorry, time travelers, you don't get to know what this was. :P
Last edited by azule on Mon May 06, 2013 9:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon May 06, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
pelrigg wrote:

Edit added footnote

:lol: It's all good. I've also made replies to comments that weren't directed at me; wrote bad-verse with messed up meter because I couldn't count syllables (and went out of my way to call attention to it); got excited because I was the Pope of the "Pi" page -- on page 341 (and went out of my way to call attention to it); and -- most recently -- have posted a link to some gay porn fanfic that I didn't bother to read first.

And those are just the examples of cranial-rectal-insertion that have been caught....

So it was you I was paraphrasing when I was being called out about saying we passed 1190 frames while we were only at 1090.... (I did mention I was paraphrasing.)

Yesterday I noticed that 1000 (outside ) "hours" had passed Since The Beginning Of Time itself without a mention of it here on the OTT. However it did occur during the height of the server glitch that was on everyone's minds at the time.
Coincidence?

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon May 06, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Thanks for bringing the discussion up because I would have never assumed he was coma-talking and that she poked him awake! To discover/read this whilst listening to this weirdness someone sent me made it even more startling and perfect¹. Five minutes in it starts to sound like waves on a shore.

¹: tiny note - i do not regularly like this artist.

That link is blowing my mind right now.

Too busy, haven't posted in a while, can't really keep up :cry: , but just thought I'd drop in and say that you all are awesome. Just thought I'd remind you in case you forgot. As they say... Wait for it.

ETA: also, I kinda like the wallposts, seeing as I don't read it all they help scoop out the best bits as people catch up.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon May 06, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
pelrigg wrote:

Edit added footnote

So it was you I was paraphrasing when I was being called out about saying we passed 1190 frames while we were only at 1090.... (I did mention I was paraphrasing.)

Yesterday I noticed that 1000 (outside ) "hours" had passed Since The Beginning Of Time itself without a mention of it here on the OTT. However it did occur during the height of the server glitch that was on everyone's minds at the time.
Coincidence?

Also, wouldn't "Pi" page be 314 instead of 341? :P

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon May 06, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
VoronX wrote:(Greetings from NP 537!)
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Hey, we gotta welcome the newbies. The colorized frame I reuploaded (I forget who uploaded it initially) was around before the inquisition existed, so it should be grandfathered in.
I think that colorized representations of One True Frames can be awesome - demonstrated already by the recent ones. They are not heresy at all; they are an artistic comment, much like the twenty thousand literary comments we have been making here. Strictly speaking they could all be considered unnecessary, as the frames speak for themselves, but they do add the necessary space between the frames which allow the One True Comic to be experienced even after the time of Time. So, they really are necessary, and the colorized frames are more than welcome.
Thus speaketh the Pope of the Holy Contradiction.

I still think that's a matter for the Inquisition, chocolate, liquorice, and stakes. Fanart is fine though. But not canon. I don't think I've seen these past colorized frames you speak of...

Wait, wait... The inquisition doesn't use stakes. Stakes aren't funny--that would be uncivilized. We use Steaks. but we don't cook them to order. What have you people been up to while I've been gone?

But since it's meant to be a form of torture, we can still burn them¹, right?

1: Antecedent? What's an antecedent?
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon May 06, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Hey, we gotta welcome the newbies. The colorized frame I reuploaded (I forget who uploaded it initially) was around before the inquisition existed, so it should be grandfathered in.
I think that colorized representations of One True Frames can be awesome - demonstrated already by the recent ones. They are not heresy at all; they are an artistic comment, much like the twenty thousand literary comments we have been making here. Strictly speaking they could all be considered unnecessary, as the frames speak for themselves, but they do add the necessary space between the frames which allow the One True Comic to be experienced even after the time of Time. So, they really are necessary, and the colorized frames are more than welcome.

I still think that's a matter for the Inquisition, chocolate, liquorice, and stakes. Fanart is fine though. But not canon. I don't think I've seen these past colorized frames you speak of...

Wait, wait... The inquisition doesn't use stakes. Stakes aren't funny--that would be uncivilized. We use Steaks. but we don't cook them to order. What have you people been up to while I've been gone?

Exactly, forcing someone to eat a burnt steak would be torture.

Edit
Speaking of burning, it smells like my cousin has started a fire, must go see what's up. {Not a bad fire, but "Oh, look at the all that wood just waiting for a match" fire}
Last edited by pelrigg on Mon May 06, 2013 7:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Mon May 06, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:ETA: also, I kinda like the wallposts, seeing as I don't read it all they help scoop out the best bits as people catch up.

Not completely sure if there is a consensus, but from what I've seen, I'd recommend.
    Clearly label Blitzposts as such.
    Don't make them too frequently.
    Don't quote other Blitzers in your Blitzposts.
    Do toss forward Firstposts, if the poster still has a low post-count. (If they've gone on to post many times, they've probably been assimilated.)

For Ketchup posts, as distinct from Blitzposts, just try to be fresh, succinct and relevant.

For everyone, use trimming and spoilering thoughtfully.

Please discuss.

Some Ways to Time

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:
pelrigg wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
pelrigg wrote:

Edit added footnote

Coincidence?

Also, wouldn't "Pi" page be 314 instead of 341? :P

Oh, yeah -- you betcha! That's why I cited it as an example of my own faux-pas-isity.

KarMann wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
ucim wrote:

Of course. And I believe an antecedent is the wife of your Uncle Cedent.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 06, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

to yappobiscuits: OMR! This is soooo fantastic, yappo! :mrgreen: It made my day. And you don't give yourself enough credit... I thought your singing was superb. The rendition is beautiful, your ukulele playing gives it the perfect feel and it is yet another thing that makes the OTT all that much more worthwhile. So here's a ukulele made to look like a cupcake. :D

Wooo I love the cupcakelele... ukucupcake... thing. Thankye! :D

Also it's funny that you call me yappo, since that's my usual internet handle, and yappobiscuits is just an evolution of that... I like that you call me yappo without even knowing that :P

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:<snip> I've actually already cut the comic up into individual frames, but thinking about it, it would be better if they were higher res... I'll ask BlitzGirl if she's got higher res original versions when she next pops up... or indeed, BlitzGirl, if you see this while on a tomato-based condiment, dost thou have them?

Here's the largest size I have:
http://vpx.pl/i/2013/05/06/TimeThreadLarge.png
And now everyone can see my mistakes in full-sized glory! Yay?

Smashing, ta! Expect a video soon-ish then, folks...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 06, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

I would say that it's fine to quote other Blitzers in your signposts, if you have something to discuss concerning said quotes.

What's this about steaks?
Spoiler:
Title text: this waiter is going to regret asking me how i'd like my steak cooked

(Emphasis mine)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

NewPage 335/551. Getting further and further behind. Will I ever be caught up again?

pelrigg wrote:
Spoiler:
BytEfLUSh wrote:
Ohh, I just noticed other mentions of delta. I was referring to my post:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3347139&hilit=1169#p3347139
BytEfLUSh wrote:Did anyone link this comic so far?

http://xkcd.com/1169/

Though, I don't think there's much sand up there.

And seeing several "rivers" so close to each other in recent newpix. :)

I know directly mentioned "delta" here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=21200#p3347603

and I swear I heard crickets as a response,
Two pages, later, "Hey, I think they're on a delta"

Where's my blankie when I need it..........

Edit
me and my speling

Just came across this quote from perlrigg. I think the one constant that we can count on in this thread is that every idea and theory will be posited at least twice, with the second (third, fourth, fifth, etc.) positer being absolutely sure they have just come up with the most brilliant original idea. Done it myself. It's not necessarily a bad thing. WIth this many posts, it's pretty unlikely anyone's going to remember everything that's been said. It's just proof that

1) we all spend way too much time (by which I mean just enough time) thinking about the OTC, and
2) great minds think alike....and so do ours.1

1 This is a joke, of course. I'm always amazing at the collective knowledge and cleverness on the OTT.2
2 Speaking of jokes, a while ago someone posted, "When will the drinking stop?" to which I replied, "I say that same thing every night." It's always bothered me that I didn't add a "just kidding." I hate to think that my fellow Waiters are all thinking, "Gee, that's really sad." I mean, it's true, but I don't want you guys thinking that.3
3 It's not really true.4
4 I'm sure that someone in the future has commented on the most recent OTT about footnotes being evidence that Randall follows the OTT at least to some degree. If so, I agree. A little too coincidental, methinks.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon May 06, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Dong O Nong Gongdong
dongDONG in Ong

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”