1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

descor

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby descor » Tue May 07, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
descor wrote:VEGETATION-ONG
Spoiler:

Who called it?

I believe that was me.
ETA: Indeed it was.

Well done HAL!
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

fatness

Postby fatness » Tue May 07, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

BillabONG

akacat

Postby akacat » Tue May 07, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

Montov wrote:What an amazing reference to the What-if, by having Cueball dreaming about his rope-adventure there. _O_

And I love the new info on tents and plants apparently. There is no debris like they expected, and the water tastes awful, but upstream there is vegetation. Maybe the fresh water is being stopped by a dam, and poison is released there to kill most of the vegetation.

Weren't they drinking water from the river? If so, it's not likely to be poisoned.1

1 With anything strong enough to kill most of the vegetation.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 07, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

akacat wrote:
Montov wrote:What an amazing reference to the What-if, by having Cueball dreaming about his rope-adventure there. _O_

And I love the new info on tents and plants apparently. There is no debris like they expected, and the water tastes awful, but upstream there is vegetation. Maybe the fresh water is being stopped by a dam, and poison is released there to kill most of the vegetation.

Weren't they drinking water from the river? If so, it's not likely to be poisoned.1

I think you mean ALL the vegetation, since most of it seems to be missing...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Montov

Postby Montov » Tue May 07, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

akacat wrote:

Do we have evidence they were drinking it? They carried the bottles in the bags they brought.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Tue May 07, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

I am worried that they are living in a pre-apocalyptic society.

If the sea1 reaches their dwelling, surely it would be a portent.

1 Big.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue May 07, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Bytes wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:<snip>
Bytes wrote:Hello all, it's been a long time.
.... are hats still in fashion, or have we moved onto feather boas? If we have I'm screwed on account of having no neck...

Of course hats are still in fashion! Our illustrious Buffygirl made you one several newpages ago.. so go fetch it!

<snip>

I tried a search but all I turned up was one 30 newpages ago when she had edited them about because 'she didn't like them and she was starting from scratch'. I can't find any since then...
Also not on the wiki list of hats.

Ahh, didn't realized she'd retroactively edited that post. Apologies.. move along.

Yes, I did remove them. I apologize, I know it's poor forum form, but I really just did NOT like them at all.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue May 07, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Well. New Information indeed. Now ... Is our match still a match?
  • Are there 'Off' seasons around the Dead Sea? If yes, how is River Jordan behaving?
  • Is there a camping zone somewhere close to the Dead Sea or River Jordan?
  • Is it possible to wander around there? The area is, after all, not exactly free of human generated dissent.

Eliram, are you out there? :grin:
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue May 07, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:<snip>
(<snip>) Also, is now a good time to formally request a hat from the Grand Haberdasher? I offer in return eternal loyalty and devotion, at least when I'm not busy :-) )

Added to the Hat Queue Mob.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

descor wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:

Who called it?

I believe that was me.

Well done HAL!

I think that's the first time I've been the first to predict something correctly, too! Cool!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue May 07, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:@Higgs-boson: Sinister did have positive connotations for the Romans, but that has been overshadowed by the modern meaning of the word.

Red Hal wrote:Sinister did have positive connotations for the Romans, but that has been overshadowed by the modern meaning of the word.

Do you think Red Hal and Red Hal are the same person? This is a remarkable coincidence if they are not.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue May 07, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:<snip>

Thanks to you both! Yeah it was actually really interesting for me to do something so twee and understated with so few instruments - even though I consider myself a bit of a musical chameleon, my usual style is anything but that :P

Very Cool! Is that something you put together? Makes me think of Dream Theater, or more like Symphony X, but I'm not really that current with all the newer symphonic/prog metal bands...

Thanks again! Yeah, it's something I wrote for a big symphonic metal project I'm working on with a huge mythopoeic backstory and everything. Not with anyone else, just doing it all myself (although I'll need guest vocalists eventually, my voice is fine for twee folksy stuff like Boom De Yada but not exactly a powerful metal voice ;))... the orchestra and drums are VST instruments (virtual instruments made from samples, programmed with midi, just in case you didn't know) and I'm playing guitar and bass, and obviously writing and producing it all. That there is just an intro and main riff of what will be a full song. And yeah, those two bands are big influences for me!

Valarya wrote:

Thanks to you both! Yeah it was actually really interesting for me to do something so twee and understated with so few instruments - even though I consider myself a bit of a musical chameleon, my usual style is anything but that :P

Talent! And if you did THIS, why didn't you make the XKCD version?! :!: :!: :!: I'm enjoying listening to your soundcloud profile so much I'm giving you another cupcake:

Another cupcake, yay! Dammit Valyria1, you trying to fatten me up?!

But anyway, yeah, the reason I did that was completely because I was inspired by the XKCD version! I read the comic, it reminded me of the original, then not long after I had the idea to do that! I was thinking of linking to it way way back when I mentioned it here (in reply to you, funnily enough):
yappobiscuits wrote:
Valarya wrote:Blitzgirl comic #2 request:

OTC/OTT version of http://xkcd.com/1052/

I once wrote (and recorded) a parody of that song for another forum once! (Wait, are there other forums?) BlitzGirl, if you are working on it, I offer to take it upon myself to record it once it's done! And if you're not, I may have to take up the task myself…

...but decided not to because nobody would get any of the lyrics because it's all Nightwish forum references and in-jokes... unless anyone here is also on that forum, in which case, hey small world :P

1Sorry, big Song of Ice and Fire fan, I always think of Valyria when I see your name :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Tue May 07, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

Does this chart include references to one's username or only when one actually posts? I believe it is collecting any instances of a username appearing, but want to confirm. (As in quotes)
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue May 07, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:

Talent! And if you did THIS, why didn't you make the XKCD version?! :!: :!: :!: I'm enjoying listening to your soundcloud profile so much I'm giving you another cupcake:

Another cupcake, yay! Dammit Valyria1, you trying to fatten me up?!

<snip>

1Sorry, big Song of Ice and Fire fan, I always think of Valyria when I see your name :P

Ayup! :mrgreen:

Also, no worries on the name. Funny enough, it's actually a mashup of the Valar (from LOTR) and Arya (from ASOIAF) that I made when creating a video game character back in 2004 or 2005; I've used it ever since! Started reading the books in 2002, so big fan myself. ;)
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Tue May 07, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

Either I missed the creation of a new acronym or it's a commonly known one that I simply haven't come across before, but what does VMPC mean? Neither searching the OTT nor Google had an answer..

I have a feeling I'm going to face-palm hard later on.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue May 07, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:Either I missed the creation of a new acronym or it's a commonly known one that I simply haven't come across before, but what does VMPC mean? Neither searching the OTT nor Google had an answer..

It's a thing HAL or someone does when they're top poster on a page. :P Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:Either I missed the creation of a new acronym or it's a commonly known one that I simply haven't come across before, but what does VMPC mean? Neither searching the OTT nor Google had an answer..

Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer. It replaced 'Pope' during the Mod Madness. A while ago (pre-fade) the first poster on each page (when the page was created, so newbie posts being approved didn't retroactively change it) was declared Pope for that newpage (there was a bit more to it, but that's the gist of it). Eventually, mscha disbanded the papacy, but I started a breakaway sect that gives you the choice to declare yourself Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer for that page (if you want to, and only you can declare it for yourself. We {or maybe just I. I think I'm the only member :( } don't force the Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customership upon others).
I like the term, it's fun to say. Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer.
Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer. Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer. Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer.
Spoiler:
vaticanmillinersperfectcustomervaticanmillinersperfectcustomervaticanmillinersperfectcustomer
vaticanmillinersperfectcustomervaticanmillinersperfectcustomervaticanmillinersperfectcustomer
allworkandnoplaymakesHALadullboyallworkandnoplaymakesHALadullboyallworkandnoplaymakesHALadullboy
Last edited by HAL9000 on Tue May 07, 2013 5:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 07, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:I don't think either post-apocalypse or camping, at least for Cuegan. On discovering the second river, they said, "it is not much farther from home than ours at its driest."

Home, to me, means something more substantial than a tent. There are tents in this world, but they may be occupied by someone other than Cuegan.
Good points all.

mscha wrote:It's only heresy to use Outside units within the universe of the OT[CTW]. So it's fine for our Lord Randall to use giraffes, meters, or even feet as units, as long as He doesn't do it in the OTT (where He doesn't post) or in the OTC (or in fact, if He uses them there, it would make them non-heretic).
Yea, verily do I say unto thee, it is not our place to say what Our Lord Randall (if I may be forgiven for uttering His name, unworthy as I may be) may or may not do. For He is like unto the sea, and does whatever He wants, for it was He who createth the sea, and the river, and the sand, and the vegetation, and the fruit-bats, and the breakfast ce.. (ouch!) Now where was I? Ah, yes. He createth these things in the One True Thread, and He createth these things outside the One True Thread. And they are all good, everywhere he createth them, for they are all created by the One True Author.

That which He hath created, He hath entrusted unto us, that they be not wasted by unuse. For how doth it benefit a man1 to be bestowed with riches if he2 lets them lie fallow.

He bestoweth upon us the Sacred Unit of the giraffe, and it is good. There is a reason, and it is a Good Reason. As to what that reason is, I refer you again to the First Commandment:

Wait for it. (Unless you are the C, in which case, Waite for It)

buffygirl wrote:Yes, I did remove them. I apologize, I know it's poor forum form, but I really just did NOT like them at all.
So now we have apocrophal hats too? Or would they be heretical hats?

Jose
1or a woman, it's hard to tell
1or she, likewise
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 07, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote:Does this chart include references to one's username or only when one actually posts? I believe it is collecting any instances of a username appearing, but want to confirm. (As in quotes)

Looking at the totals for myself it is only pulling your posts, not your quote's... Essentially it is looking up all the posts that you have on the forum and counting the ones that you post in the OTT.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue May 07, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

You were so ninja'd, HAL. But your explanation is better. :?

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 07, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
descor wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:

Who called it?

I believe that was me.

Well done HAL!

I think that's the first time I've been the first to predict something correctly, too! Cool!

Here I go: A structure within next 2 81,2,3 frames.

1On account of them being at the start of another empty frame, I am editing for the sake of removing the bullet from my left foot.

2 EDIT

3None of these are exponents
Last edited by Kieryn on Tue May 07, 2013 6:07 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:You were so ninja'd, HAL. But your explanation is better. :?

Well, as chief (and possibly only) user of the term, I felt my definition was worth sharing.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue May 07, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote: <snip>
I like the term, it's fun to say. Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer.
Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer. Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer. Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer.

Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer Good Randall you're right it's fun to say Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer...

Also the amount of plays I've got on my soundcloud today is shooting up, it's already at 95 - usually it's a good day if I get, like, 10! I'm guessing they're all coming from here, good thing I just casually linked to it, hehe!

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 07, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

EVENSONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Tue May 07, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

Wow! I put off listening to this due to having to download it (yeah, I'm THAT lazy). Finally opened it this morning and immediately wanted to marry you. I adore your voice. Thanks for that.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue May 07, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
EVENSONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot

I feel like your bot already did that one (ONG), or does it do the same one every time?

Edit: oddly enough the search feature doesn't work for "evensongggggggg" because it is too common???
Last edited by jovialbard on Tue May 07, 2013 6:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 07, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

yappobiscuits - how do I listen to your music without also allowing facebook, twitter, and google-analytics to run scripts against my machine? Are they saved as audio files anywhere?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 07, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

marchlight wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

Wow! I put off listening to this due to having to download it (yeah, I'm THAT lazy). Finally opened it this morning and immediately wanted to marry you. I adore your voice. Thanks for that.

I must have missed this, listening to it now, and yes, AWESOME!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
EVENSONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot

I feel like your bot already did that one (ONG), or does it do the same one every time?

The newpixbot seems to choose from a random and rather small set of ONGs.

descor

Postby descor » Tue May 07, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
EVENSONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot

This may be a good thing though. I'm not sure how I would feel if newpixbot was more creative than me with ONGs
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Tue May 07, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:

It's a thing HAL or someone does when they're top poster on a page. :P Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer.

HAL9000 wrote:Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer. It replaced 'Pope' during the Mod Madness. A while ago (pre-fade) the first poster on each page (when the page was created, so newbie posts being approved didn't retroactively change it) was declared Pope for that newpage (there was a bit more to it, but that's the gist of it). Eventually, mscha disbanded the papacy, but I started a breakaway sect that gives you the choice to declare yourself Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer for that page
<snip>

Aaah, I see. I was here for the Madness and the PFAP period (and the rest of the thread, but must admit to skimming a bit every now and then), but must've missed that. Thanks!

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue May 07, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

descor wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
EVENSONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot

This may be a good thing though. I'm not sure how I would feel if newpixbot was more creative than me with ONGs

Perhaps it should perform a random Markov Chain ONG. Could be amusing on occasion, though usually likely nonsensical.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue May 07, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Very Cool! Is that something you put together? Makes me think of Dream Theater, or more like Symphony X, but I'm not really that current with all the newer symphonic/prog metal bands...

Thanks again! Yeah, it's something I wrote for a big symphonic metal project I'm working on with a huge mythopoeic backstory and everything. Not with anyone else, just doing it all myself (although I'll need guest vocalists eventually, my voice is fine for twee folksy stuff like Boom De Yada but not exactly a powerful metal voice ;))... the orchestra and drums are VST instruments (virtual instruments made from samples, programmed with midi, just in case you didn't know) and I'm playing guitar and bass, and obviously writing and producing it all. That there is just an intro and main riff of what will be a full song. And yeah, those two bands are big influences for me!

I really like it too! Reminds me of the Metallica S&M album (but that's really the only metal band I know, so I don't have much else to compare it to).

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Tue May 07, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Sand is an untasty but insistent beach condiment.

I have to say, A-grade comedy, this. Short, concise, and utterly effective. Perfectly optimized humor. Me likes!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue May 07, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

Prediction: more walking. *WINNER*

Valarya wrote:
azule wrote:I have an affinity for VAL.

People have been calling me Val online for 9 years. This is a little weird, and a tad bit exciting. :shock:

FTFY/M. ;) Now do I get a cupcake? lol.

Kazza3 wrote:This has got to be one of the most important dialogue frames yet- more talk of inside time, does this suggest what we've seen of the OTC has taken place over days within the comic? And suggests more specifically than before that they come from a community, rather than being almost completely isolated.

I think the river has been in its state for days, we have not been following C&M for days. Others aren't around during this season, only LaPetite and LePetite.

Dracomax wrote:edit: I passed 200 at some point. wonder when that happened.

I think we only care about 100, 200, 300, 500, Fibonacci etc. So, congrats! But next time be on time. ;)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue May 07, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

most likely ninja'd before posting, but here goes:
Montov wrote:
akacat wrote:

Do we have evidence they were drinking it? They carried the bottles in the bags they brought.

looked through my collection of the OTC and came up with this sub-collection (numbers are frame numbers which come from explain wiki {my source for ketchup frames):
Spoiler:
drinking from river with intro's and outro's where needed:

_1025-discovery of the "other" river, with first drink (water may be the last of what they started with, re: "steam bottle")
_1027-
_1028-
_1076-leaving after resting when Cueball loses his dildogunnerang
_1078-
_1083-after walking awhile Cueball stops are fills the remaining dildogunnerang and Megan takes a sip for "this" river
_1085-
_1087-
_1093-
_1123-Cueball fills the single dildogunnerang a second time (that we know of)
_1124-
_1125-
_1139-and after the nap time they both drink
_1140-
_1141-

I'll go out on a limb and say the river water isn't poison, and we're just being shown a change in vegetation as they change height.
Also, I'm in the "tents are temporary shelter" camp (Has anyone read Auel's Earth Children series? {Clan of the Cave Bear, etc.})
I'ma gonna "wait for it" with regards to post-pre-apocalypse, pre-history, other planet/ plane plain of existence, though.
(now how badly have I been ninja'd)
Edit add strike through
And 2nd edit "I go" to "I'll go"
Last edited by pelrigg on Tue May 07, 2013 6:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue May 07, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:I don't think either post-apocalypse or camping, at least for Cuegan. On discovering the second river, they said, "it is not much farther from home than ours at its driest."

Home, to me, means something more substantial than a tent. There are tents in this world, but they may be occupied by someone other than Cuegan.

To me, "home" simply means the place where you live. "House" is a more permanent structure, made of wood, stone, etc., whereas "home" could mean house, apartment building, tent, etc., or it can mean your town, country, etc.

And when I first saw the dialogue about tents, my first thought was that they are members of a nomadic tribe. Though that might still make it hard to explain all the construction material.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue May 07, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

ucim wrote:yappobiscuits - how do I listen to your music without also allowing facebook, twitter, and google-analytics to run scripts against my machine? Are they saved as audio files anywhere?

Jose

eeshk, no they're nowhere else online, sorry... I have this which apparently blocks that sort of thing but I'm no computer nerd1 so don't really know how/if it works...

1I know I know, a non-computer-nerd who reads xkcd, like a quarter of the comics fly right over my head but I love it for the other stuff.

marchlight wrote:

Opiboble wrote:
I must have missed this, listening to it now, and yes, AWESOME!

Thanks you two ^_^

buffygirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

I really like it too! Reminds me of the Metallica S&M album (but that's really the only metal band I know, so I don't have much else to compare it to).

Ahh, well symphonic metal is a big thing! You have a whole genre to discover! Metallica just did it for that one concert but there are bands who sound like that on every album! Nightwish, Kamelot, Symphony X, Epica (to name a few of the more well known ones) :)

Edit: Aha, my first instance of being a Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer myself! Also, my 42nd post. I don't need to say why that's cool, you all know the reference...
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Tue May 07, 2013 6:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 07, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

It's come up a few times recently, so I went ahead and took the time to make a Dialogue Summary page on the wiki. It's current through the most recent NewpixGongFramePic...

ETA: I'm not sure how to change the redirect of "Dialogue" from the Litany to this page, though. So if any of you intrepid wiki-masters want to fix that little thing, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Last edited by StratPlayer on Tue May 07, 2013 6:45 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue May 07, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:

To me, "home" simply means the place where you live. "House" is a more permanent structure, made of wood, stone, etc., whereas "home" could mean house, apartment building, tent, etc., or it can mean your town, country, etc.

And when I first saw the dialogue about tents, my first thought was that they are members of a nomadic tribe. Though that might still make it hard to explain all the construction material.

I'll admit, when I'm on vacation, 'home' means the hotel room, sort of. I think the construction material, and the comment about distance to their river at it's driest, implies that their home is more permanent than simply a vacation/camping site. Or at least they camp periodically in the same site.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”