1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ttscp

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ttscp » Tue May 07, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

mscha wrote:The newpixbot picks a random word ending in ‘ong’ from /usr/share/dict/american-english-huge on my server – there are 135 of them – so it seems fishy to me, this is definitely not the first repeat I've seen. I'm not a statistician, so I can't judge how likely or unlikely it is.
Maybe it's just our Lord Randall sending us a message. Can't think what it would be, though.

I made some changes so that it'll try something new, next time it gets a chance to post.

It's actually fairly probable that there will be repeats. This is related to the birthday problem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem.

We think of it like the probability of a repeat of a given phrase (which is pretty low), but since it's a repeat of any phrase, it gets higher each time a new phrase is chosen and after a while has to happen. After 135 unique ong postings by the newpixbot, it would have to repeat.

Edit: rephrased newpixbot postings sentence to make it correct statement
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Tue May 07, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

Don't Panic, I have a fedora!

Thanks Buffygirl!
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue May 07, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
descor wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
FullOfIt wrote:... "home is where the hat is" .... [/mush]

FTFY

Do mine eyes deceive me buffygirl? You're accepting hat orders? May I tentatively request one myself? Not sure my current avatar can take a hat though ...

Never underestimate buffygirl's magnificent feats of superlative supernatural millinery skills! She's hatted avatars other lesser haberdashers would deem unhattable! VeloCityGirl2 and Caswallon for example!

:oops: Awww, thanks yappo!

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

Blitz progress: 474 of 560
The Great Hike (pt. 2), NP1005

Quick update, just found a short bit of time to ketchup with Time. A few thoughts:
Spoiler:
patzer wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
123Adz321 wrote:In the wait between newpix, I have decided to do a (terrible) visualization of the recent camera change:

*not to scale - yes I know the shadows aren't consistent

Essentially, we are seeing the same angle as before, so it looks like time travel.

Did not, when the Prophets abandon the Sandcastle, did they not walk away from the Sandcastle going left, away from the rising sea?

maybe something like this?
(warning: terrible diagram)

Both of these are fantastic in their own ways. The 3D isometric view is nice, in that it provides one potential explanation for some oddities of Newpix Past. The top-down view maintains the 2D feel of the One True Comic. I like them both.

Spoiler:
patzer wrote:*insert clever ong*

Apparently they still don't know much about the sea. The search for knowledge continues! A search which is apparently only in its early stages...
jdj42 wrote:Image
F1rst
Edit: Added semi-clever comment
Edit 2: Added Edit and Edit 2.

Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:I think I'm in Love with All of You and want to Marry you. just btw.

I thought you were already married?

Helper wrote:Four weeks and five days, 18913 posts, 1004 individual frames. Who thought it would ever get this big?

I guess a missed a little :mrgreen:.

I missed the triumphant return of Pope Helper!!! *cries*

Anyways... enough for right now. I'll be getting back to it again in a few Newpix, hopefully.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 07, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

descor wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:<snip> It was looking up my posts that led me to wonder. I don't think I've ever posted fifteen times in a day. I just don't have that much to say, but there were a few times my name was included in quotes, why I theorized may have inflated the numbers.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you have to have something to say in order to post in this thread. :mrgreen:

No kidding, I don't think I have had a single meaningful post my entire life...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

descor

Postby descor » Tue May 07, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
descor wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:<snip> It was looking up my posts that led me to wonder. I don't think I've ever posted fifteen times in a day. I just don't have that much to say, but there were a few times my name was included in quotes, why I theorized may have inflated the numbers.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you have to have something to say in order to post in this thread. :mrgreen:

I figure that if at least one person quotes you then your post is validated. So there you go, your post was meaningful enough for me to reply!

Also, thanks buffygirl. I can't wait! It feels like Christmas Eve!
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 07, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

descor wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
descor wrote:

I figure that if at least one person quotes you then your post is validated. So there you go, your post was meaningful enough for me to reply!

Yippy! My life is now 50% complete! Now I just need to have kids and wait for "IT"...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue May 07, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
mscha wrote:EVENSONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot

I feel like your bot already did that one (ONG), or does it do the same one every time?

The newpixbot seems to choose from a random and rather small set of ONGs.

Did a quick check, it was at least the third EVENSONGGGGGGGG. :?
The newpixbot picks a random word ending in ‘ong’ from /usr/share/dict/american-english-huge on my server – there are 135 of them – so it seems fishy to me, this is definitely not the first repeat I've seen. I'm not a statistician, so I can't judge how likely or unlikely it is.
Maybe it's just our Lord Randall sending us a message. Can't think what it would be, though.

I made some changes so that it'll try something new, next time it gets a chance to post.

So, it's not just me. Again, I haven't automated it so much, but I have been doing a bit of `grep -iE 'ong$' /usr/share/dict/linux.words` myself. I get 280 results, of varying quality. (E.g., without bothering to eliminate those differing only in case.)
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Tue May 07, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:25 years in the SCA

O hai! Me too

You guys scare me. What's a Sexual Compulsive anyway?
(see http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCA)
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Tue May 07, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

descor wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
descor wrote:

B'awww.
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Tue May 07, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

A few pages back there was discussion about this image from one of GLR's Other Works:

descor wrote:
Red Hal wrote:And now we know he is left-handed.

Weird, I saw that as right handed!

Is this one of those optical illusions where you see what you expect to see?

I didn't comment right away, but I'm pretty sure the discussion was an inside reference back to an earlier period in the OTT. For those of you who were not here then and haven't journeyed through it, you might want to use this Time Portal to appreciate the context.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 07, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:It's come up a few times recently, so I went ahead and took the time to make a Dialogue Summary page on the wiki. It's current through the most recent NewpixGongFramePic...

ETA: I'm not sure how to change the redirect of "Dialogue" from the Litany to this page, though. So if any of you intrepid wiki-masters want to fix that little thing, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Looks like somebody already made the change, Dialogue now redirects to your new page.

Looks good! The only thing I'm not happy about, is the frame numbering. Since a few days ikositetranewpix, the Book of Aubron accidentally includes the three ‘apocryphal’ frames (and shows them as duplicates, just compare frames 256-258 with 259-261), so any frame past that has a number that's 3 higher than the ‘canonical’ numbering. I contacted him yesterday through his site, he said he would look into it, so most likely it's going to change.
Most other sources (Geekwagon, other places in the wiki (but not Explain¹)) all use the same ‘canonical’ numbers as my list.
So would you mind if we do the same here? That means that all frame numbers higher than 256 should be decremented by 3.

¹: which uses a strange numbering for the first period when Outside time moved slower
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue May 07, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

I know I'm a bit late with this kind of submission and it doesn't 100% correspond, but yeah, wanted to share, and no one did yet, so here you go. 8-)
Korn - Last Legal Drug (La Petite Mort):
Spoiler:
Put your hand against your skin
Rub it gently to begin
You feel it? Can you feel it?
Witness pleasure become pain
When does sex become insane
You say it, as you feel it

PRE-CHORUS:
When you cum (Be a good girl)
Hold your breath (Make it last long)
It's a mess (And it's called)
Little Death Girl

CHORUS:
So please, When you die could you scream?
Mercy, Mercy for you and me
It's true What they say, fuckin' for
Love might be the last legal drug
So please, When you cry let it flow
I might, Make you stay, let you go
It's true, What they say, fuckin' for
Love might be the last legal drug

Push that one more time that's all / And the rain begins to fall
You feel it? Can you feel it?
People who ain't seen shit been telling you that it's a sin?
You say it, As you feel it

PRE-CHORUS

CHORUS

Le Petite Mort

CHORUS

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Tue May 07, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:A horse, maybe. Or a tauntaun. (Again demonstrating my lack of geek cred, I had to look up what those things were called.)

You had to look up what a horse is called?

How do you even look up what a horse is called without knowing what a horse is called?
814840.jpg

[Aside: I love the internet sometimes; e.g. how easily Google will direct you to a website dedicated to faking Google search results.]
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:A horse, maybe. Or a tauntaun. (Again demonstrating my lack of geek cred, I had to look up what those things were called.)

You had to look up what a horse is called?

How do you even look up what a horse is called without knowing what a horse is called?
814840.jpg

[Aside: I love the internet sometimes; e.g. how easily Google will direct you to a website dedicated to faking Google search results.]

Dammit, this almost got me in trouble. I had to stifle my laughter so my boss didn't come over to see what was so funny.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Flado

Postby Flado » Tue May 07, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:"Later" and "Bye" first established a parameter of the medium - Megan and Cueball would be talking. So it wasn't just snapshots of time, it also had elaboration.
"Wanna swim?" let us know for sure that the location was what it looked like - a beach
"Pffthh *cough* You ok?" and "Just got some in my mouth" told us that it was salt water, so a sea or salty lake. Or some other kind of non-potable water.
"Any idea where the river is now?" Established that there were some off-scene elements, particularly a river. Some assumed at the time that meant that the body of water near the castles was a river, but it has since been revealed that's not the case.
"Still pretty far out" told us that the -now visibly rising- body of water on screen was probably not the river. Also, that they'd been watching the river for at least a week.
"I don't understand what the sea is doing" let us know that the flooding was an abnormal occurrence. Also, that they were somewhat clueless about their world
"I don't think we can build it much taller than this." and "It's been fun, though!" were catalysts for the Observation Tower era, as I recall. Hinting that the world has physical constraints and that Megan and Cueball are aware of them.
"Pfffth Pthuh!" and "I've had worse" reinforce the idea that it's definitely a non-tasty body of water, probably briny seawater.
"Guess one of us should climb down." was simply keeping up the flow of building, I think.
"The sea is rising." - their first non-sideways acknowledgement that the water level was indeed going up.
"Sea level rises and falls, right? It's changed before." and "Not this fast." are confirming again that it's an abnormal occurrence, adding specifically that the rise is extraordinarily quick.
"The river hasn't even reached the sea yet." is interesting. Apparently the river wasn't yet at the sea? Where was it going? I don't believe we have the answer to this question. Megan simply replies "The river is small. The sea is big." as if this was obvious, but points out that when it does reach the sea it wouldn't have much of an effect because of their relative sizes.
"How big?" and "I don't know" reinforcing that Megan and Cueball are somewhat ignorant of their world.
"Does it Rain on the Sea?" and "I don't know; if it does it seems like a waste." continue the guesswork at the rising water level, and indicate that weather patterns are fairly normal wherever they are, with rain at least on land. Also that whatever the rain was wouldn't have enough volume to cause a change in water level like the one they observe.
"It rains in the hills where the river comes from, right?" Interesting, because it tells us the river comes from the hills, which we haven't seen yet. Also showing that Megan and Cueball have some idea how the traversable parts of their world work - they know either from having been there or by word of mouth about the weather in the hills and have some idea how rivers form.
"Are there other rivers?" "I don't know." "There must be other rivers." Indicate this is the only river they know of. There might be other ones, and they think that there must be other ones for the sea level to be rising like this.
"Otherwise the sea would dry up." Either they're really clueless about how seas work, or its a small sea that is known to change drastically in water level according to rainfall (but not this quickly).
"Maybe it's coming out of the ground." "Does that happen?" "I don't know," this exchange indicates that Megan and Cueball don't know about springs or water tables, or aren't really sure, so they probably haven't seen any where they are. Which means either water table is pretty low most of the time, or don't get out much.
"I don't know how the sea works." "I don't know how anything works." Well, that pretty much cinches their ignorance of the natural world. The implications of this depend on who you ask. Are they children? (Not likely, unless LaPetite is an elf). Do they not get out much? This might just be a visit to the countryside/coastline, maybe they usually spend their time in the city away from the natural world. There's room for interpretation here as of now.
"I don't think it's going to stop." "The sea can't just make more of itself forever." "It can do whatever it wants. It's the sea. " Megan and Cueball see the sea as some kind of ineffable force. Clearly they are not exposed to or don't have the technology to make (properly sized) seawalls, dams, etc. Also, that they think the sea is making more of itself and not just moving around - so either they don't know about tides or tides aren't a factor.
"There must be a reason. There's a reason for everything." "Yeah." "But it's not always a good reason." They're scientifically minded, at least, if completely in the dark about what's happening. Their knowledge is unsatisfactory to them, this is probably the point where one or both decide they will venture back to the river to check on it.
"There must be other rivers." "Maybe something is wrong with them." Back to the other rivers - also setting up the recent "broken rivers" bit. How could a river be broken? Maybe it's dammed naturally or unnaturally, the source (mountain springs, lowlands springs, creeks, etc) has dried up, or have been redirected. Those would all stop the flow though. For there to be more flow, rivers would have to merge, there would have to be an unusual amount of rainfall in their watershed, or some kind of dam might have broken.

That coves the first few lines. I don't think I can comment on the latest ones as of yet, maybe I'll post again when we know more. Although all I'm really doing is summarizing the thread - we did a pretty good job of interpreting things the first time around.

This!!!
-

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue May 07, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
KarMann wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:25 years in the SCA

O hai! Me too

You guys scare me. What's a Sexual Compulsive anyway?
(see http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCA)

That's quite a list, isn't it? We're talking about the sixth one down [triggers immediate page vandalism].

But. you know, twenty-five years on the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft would be seriously cool, too.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Flado

Postby Flado » Tue May 07, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

pablithemantis wrote:
ucim wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Well, you could use the original Latin - id est
Is the Chevette of browsers even available in Latin? Would it translate all the newpix into that ancient tongue? Would I be greeted each morning with "Error occurrit. Vis dicam Microsoft circa hoc?"

Jose

I've been wondering how long I'd keep from registering in the forum, and of course it'd be this comment that does it. The moment you bring up an incorrect latin translation of an error message into an XKCD thread, my fate is sealed.

error occuravit. volasne dicere microsofti huius?
(An error has occurred. do you want to tell Microsoft of this?)

missionem proficiebam.

In other news, hello all. Good work on making the accompanying thread for this insane comic more maddening than the comic itself.

Has anyone yet brought up the fact that Randall dramatically reeled us in to the storyline by keeping the characters silent for the majority of the animation, and then suddenly creating an increasingly complicated plot a few hundred frames in? Very clever, that Mr. Munroe.

FirstPost bump.
-

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue May 07, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:Don't we already have an OTT exercise program: We watch, we eat and most importantly we wait for it (and we support each other in this endeavor).

So we watch our wait? Maybe some wait-training would help though.

descor wrote:Do mine eyes deceive me buffygirl? You're accepting hat orders? May I tentatively request one myself? Not sure my current avatar can take a hat though ...

Something like this, perhaps?

It's kind of annoying when people spoiler things with absolutely no information outside the spoiler to help us decide if we need to open it, or when they reply to something 100% spoilered so everyone needs to open it just to understand the unspoilered things. But I guess there's no point saying that now; I'd have to sig it.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

OMGOMGOMGOMGONG!
-nothing interesting whatsoever...

EDIT: Actually, there does appear to be a gradually increasing presence of grass/plant-life
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

descor

Postby descor » Tue May 07, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
descor wrote:Do mine eyes deceive me buffygirl? You're accepting hat orders? May I tentatively request one myself? Not sure my current avatar can take a hat though ...

Something like this, perhaps?

Yey, good spot! Although I guess from the .ch in your location that you had an advantage?
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

CrossbreedPriscilla

Postby CrossbreedPriscilla » Tue May 07, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

So, I just had to make an account to make some attempt at following all this. I was following it every half hour, back when that's how often it updated but, but it got away from me and reading this thread got way too daunting. So yeah, I'm probably going to be repeating what others have already said.

So, just my personal take on this comic. The obvious idea is that the sea is a metaphor for time, death and, specifically, cancer. The sea rising signalling a relapse, poised to destroy all they built. Of course, they don't understand what could be making the sea rise or causing the relapse, so they're on a mission to find out. I'm sure that's been repeated a million times by now.

The last few pieces of a dialogue haven't really fit with the metaphor though. And the tents made me think of a post apocalyptic world or something. I dunno. Just wanted to post.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue May 07, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

descor wrote:Yey, good spot! Although I guess from the .ch in your location that you had an advantage?

Yeah, I have one of those helmets (bought from the gift shop, though I was working for CMS at the time.)
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 07, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

The ground is becoming fuzzier and fuzzier! :D

KarMann wrote:
mscha wrote:A La Petite¹ reference . . . .
¹: I still believe it's BlitzGirl in disguise, even though she's denying it.

Only the true LaPetite would deny her petiteness!

I deny everything! Because if I told you I was LaPetite, then you would take me at my word, wouldn't you?
I still think the bigger conspiracy here is Helper's alter-ego cmyk! *points at Helper, dashes away when you're all looking at him*

yappobiscuits wrote:<snip> I call this proof that Time truly IS the One True Comic. All other comics, what-ifs etc are merely dreams of the characters in the OTC.

Made me think of this quote:
“A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.”
― John Lennon

Perhaps we are all dreaming of Time together, and that is what makes it the One True Comic?

Smithers wrote:How do you even look up what a horse is called without knowing what a horse is called?
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue May 07, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Looks good! The only thing I'm not happy about, is the frame numbering. Since a few days ikositetranewpix, the Book of Aubron accidentally includes the three ‘apocryphal’ frames (and shows them as duplicates, just compare frames 256-258 with 259-261), so any frame past that has a number that's 3 higher than the ‘canonical’ numbering. I contacted him yesterday through his site, he said he would look into it, so most likely it's going to change.
(emphasis added)
Most other sources (Geekwagon, other places in the wiki (but not Explain¹)) all use the same ‘canonical’ numbers as my list.
So would you mind if we do the same here? That means that all frame numbers higher than 256 should be decremented by 3.

¹: which uses a strange numbering for the first period when Outside time moved slower

I've been following the ‘apocryphal’ / ‘canonical’ numbering dialog since I got here. I even got caught up in the problematic numbers while making my collection (I even have some frames which still seem to be dupe).
Since I just made a post where I used frame numbers, which are based on explain wiki numbers, I need to say "Huh"? {Insert Mal Reynolds face just before blackout}
I mean my frame numbers match your frame numbers and not "off" in any way (trying to reconcile "which uses a strange numbering for the first period")
mscha
| 1169: | 2013-05-07 16:00 | xkcd_time_20130507_2000.png | 330ceb833f1cc035110a577a86fdc0cb16bc80c410ce79ee15785a3be5c9454d |
explain:
Below is the list of all the frames of the comic, in the order that they were revealed. The given times denote the time since the comic
was initially released on midnight, March 25, 2013, Eastern Daylight Savings Time (UTC - 0400).
Day 44, Tuesday, May 7, 2013
| 1048:001 | 44/16:002 | 330ceb833f1cc035110a577a86fdc0cb16bc80c410ce79ee15785a3be5c9454d.png
1 elapsed hours since the Beginning3 |2Day # / Time {[duh]} | 3a hotlink which give an image labeled "time1169.png"
my translation:
1169-330ceb833f1cc035110a577a86fdc0cb16bc80c410ce79ee15785a3be5c9454d | d44--1600 | {from xkcd home}

My two brain cells may not be computing, I'm just wondering if you're saying explain numbers not to be trusted, or if there's something kooky with their early numbers?
Please keep it simple (without being simplistic, my third brain cell went on vacation and didn't take me with it).
Thanks.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Tue May 07, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

New song parody. To the tune of Que Será, Será
Spoiler:
When I first saw the Comic "Time"
I asked Lord Randall, What does it mean
What's the sand made of
What is the sea
Here's what He said to me

Wait for it, for it
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not yours to see
Wait for it, for it
What will be, will be

When I grew up and joined the thread
I asked the forum, What lies ahead
Will we have castles
Day after day
Here's what the forum said

Wait for it, for it
The future's not ours to see
Wait for it, for it
What will be, will be

Now there are posters after me
They ask the forum, What will there be
Will we find rivers
Filling the sea
I tell them tenderly

Wait for it, for it
Wait for it, for it
What will be, will be
Wait for it, for it

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:

FayZee

Postby FayZee » Tue May 07, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:Oh my. I didn't think of it at the time, but last night, I actually ketchuped on my laptop keyboard leopard. As in, dropped a glob of the stuff from the burger I was eating. Something that very rarely happens to me; I'm usually a rather tidy eater. I think this is the first food or soda to get anything more than a crumb in it in the . . . 3 years? 4? that I've had it. (Fortunately, even then, it was a small enough drop that it was entirely on one key (PgDn), and didn't get between keys at all.)

You might think there's nothing more than a crumb in it. In fact, I urge you not to check :shock:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

FayZee wrote:
KarMann wrote:Oh my. I didn't think of it at the time, but last night, I actually ketchuped on my laptop keyboard leopard. As in, dropped a glob of the stuff from the burger I was eating. Something that very rarely happens to me; I'm usually a rather tidy eater. I think this is the first food or soda to get anything more than a crumb in it in the . . . 3 years? 4? that I've had it. (Fortunately, even then, it was a small enough drop that it was entirely on one key (PgDn), and didn't get between keys at all.)

You might think there's nothing more than a crumb in it. In fact, I urge you not to check :shock:

Yeah, that wouldn't end well.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Tue May 07, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:<snip> I call this proof that Time truly IS the One True Comic. All other comics, what-ifs etc are merely dreams of the characters in the OTC.

Made me think of this quote:
“A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.”
― John Lennon

Perhaps we are all dreaming of Time together, and that is what makes it the One True Comic?

It's certainly what makes it the One True Thread.

Edit: In some sense, I think the OTT may be creating the OTC as well. Apart from the possibility that GLR is lifting ideas from the OTT (which I think is entirely possible), I think GLR may have had a shorter span in mind when he started Time, and it may have been the OTT that made him expand the OTC. If that's true, then everything that Cuegan are experiencing is a result of our collective dream.
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 07, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Essentially it is looking up all the posts that you have on the forum and counting the ones that you post in the OTT.

For me the ratio of OTT/NOTT posts = sideways eight (508/0).

Or, if you can't stand the thought of dividing by zero, how 'bout I express it as my OTTcent = [ OTT / (OTT + NOTT) ] * 100% = 508/508 * 100% = 100.0%

Gaah, math! But yup same here, I am 100% OTT

"You Down With OTT?"
Spoiler:
(To the 'tune' of "O.P.P." by Naughty By Nature)

Temporal harmony...
Time's dropped a load on me!

OTT, how can I explain it?
I'll take you frame by frame wit' it.
To have ya'll jumpin', yeah, we'll be singin' it!

O is for da one; T is for true -- yes, that's kinda simple
The last T, well, The Madness made it wrinkle;
It's sorta like another way for you to say you're sewing.
With six little letters - can't I make it any clearer?
You get on occasion, with Waiters, kinda arty,
some crazy shit -- turns this thread into a party!

Wait it!

You even seen a comic, with those little stick fellows,
Buildin' a castle, then walkin' 'round real mellow?
Makes you wanna Wait, right? To see what's gonna happen,
then it makes you want to start tippy-typy-tappin'
Addin' your bits, with your mind all flippy-flappin'
It ain't a wait (W to the A to the I to the T),
'Less you're joinin' in wit it, see?

It's OTT, where Time's people all get it
There's always room here, for one more crazy idjit.
How many Waiters out there know what I'm gettin' at?
Who thinks it's wrong that we've turned into ding-bats?
Well, if you do, there's OTT and you're not down with it
But if you don't -- well here's your membership...

You down with OTT?
yeah, you know me...
You down with OTT?
Insanity!
You down with OTT?
yeah, you know me...
Who's down with OTT?
Every last Waiter, see?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 07, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
(emphasis added)

I've been following the ‘apocryphal’ / ‘canonical’ numbering dialog since I got here. I even got caught up in the problematic numbers while making my collection (I even have some frames which still seem to be dupe).
Since I just made a post where I used frame numbers, which are based on explain wiki numbers, I need to say "Huh"? {Insert Mal Reynolds face just before blackout}
I mean my frame numbers match your frame numbers and not "off" in any way (trying to reconcile "which uses a strange numbering for the first period")
mscha
| 1169: | 2013-05-07 16:00 | xkcd_time_20130507_2000.png | 330ceb833f1cc035110a577a86fdc0cb16bc80c410ce79ee15785a3be5c9454d |
explain:
Below is the list of all the frames of the comic, in the order that they were revealed. The given times denote the time since the comic
was initially released on midnight, March 25, 2013, Eastern Daylight Savings Time (UTC - 0400).
| 1048:001 | 44/16:002 | 330ceb833f1cc035110a577a86fdc0cb16bc80c410ce79ee15785a3be5c9454d.png
1 elapsed hours since the Beginning3 |2Day # / Time {[duh]} | 3a hotlink which give an image labeled "time1169.png"
my translation:
1169-330ceb833f1cc035110a577a86fdc0cb16bc80c410ce79ee15785a3be5c9454d | d44--1600 | {from xkcd home}

My two brain cells may not be computing, I'm just wondering if you're saying explain numbers not to be trusted, or if there's something kooky with their early numbers?
Please keep it simple (without being simplistic, my third brain cell went on vacation and didn't take me with it).
Thanks.

It's not so much that explain xkcd can't be trusted, it's that it uses an entirely different way of numbering than all the other lists: day 1 starts with frame 00:00, then 00:30, up to 23:30; day 2 goes from 24:00 to 47:30, etc., up to (so far) day 44, from 1032:00 on. That is, each frame's number is the (Outside) duration in HH:MM since the beginning of Time.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue May 07, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

I'm going to Paris for a few days, so will have a lot of ketching to up on Sunday. Look after one another, don't get fooled again and kisses all round.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:I'm going to Paris for a few days, so will have a lot of ketching to up on Sunday. Look after one another, don't get fooled again and kisses all round.

We will! See you in just under a week!
Also, when you come back, don't feel required to read every post you missed. You can skip a bunch, skim the most recent 20ish pages, and you'll be fine.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue May 07, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
(emphasis added)

mscha
explain:
my translation:

Thanks.

It's not so much that explain xkcd can't be trusted, it's that it uses an entirely different way of numbering than all the other lists: day 1 starts with frame 00:00, then 00:30, up to 23:30; day 2 goes from 24:00 to 47:30, etc., up to (so far) day 44, from 1032:00 on. That is, each frame's number is the (Outside) duration in HH:MM since the beginning of Time.

I was just asking because when you click on their HH:MM number the name of the image you get is "time####.png", in which "####" happens to be the frame number. Is the problem with them not putting the frame number up top then?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue May 07, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

It's another conclusion leaping session from me, regarding the day till now's frames. (I guess this is just what I do now)
The people apparently live in tents, which reinforces my thought that they are pioneers/colonists of some sort (quite possibly on another planet.)

EDIT: Totally Irrelevant to the above statement, but did anyone else think http://www.xkcd.com/1208/ was a reference to this forum1?
1 because I see2 that kind of thing a lot here

2 which is large. wait no
Last edited by ergman on Tue May 07, 2013 10:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 07, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:It's come up a few times recently, so I went ahead and took the time to make a Dialogue Summary page on the wiki. It's current through the most recent NewpixGongFramePic...

ETA: I'm not sure how to change the redirect of "Dialogue" from the Litany to this page, though. So if any of you intrepid wiki-masters want to fix that little thing, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Looks like somebody already made the change, Dialogue now redirects to your new page.

Well I certainly won't argue with it. I did mention that the frame numbers were from Aubronwood but that's clearly not the canonical numbering. I'll make the needed decrementations.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Tue May 07, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

astrocub wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
astrocub wrote:
Exodies wrote:We could start a new tradition, a cult of doom - after each ONG someone must throw in a theory about why this is proberly the last Frame.

AluisioASG wrote:Wait for him.

He looks like he's about to drop dead. Probably a brain-eating amoeba from the water they're drinking. This must be the end of Cueball.

Are you sure you're not overanalyzing him?

Yes. He's definitely dead.

Does this make him a zombie?
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

azule wrote:Woot! You're like my best friend in the OTT right now. ;) And to think, I almost insulted you. (Not really).

Azule, you are so sweet!

Sorry I took so long to see and answer this post. When I got to be 20+ pages behind, I figured it would take me too long to chutney. (Thought I'd spice things up a bit.) I decided to read current NewPages while at the same time chutneying on the the old NewPages. The problem is I keep forgetting where I am and which pages I've read. I've read up to page 536, I've read the most recent pages, and I've read chunks of page in between, but I'm not sure which ones. :? IAnd my OCD means that I have to make sure I read everything. It doesn't help that Outside things keep distracting me, plus I have to minimize the window any time any one comes near my computer.

Why am I telling you this? 1)If I ever sound confused, or like I don't know where I am in Time, you'll know why. 2) So I can warn others from trying this approach. Although It does have the benefit of lessening the number of walltext and pastposts I post, which is good because at this point I'm really confused about what we are and aren't supposed to spoiler, and what's ok or not ok for a ketchup chutney post.

The OTT is a weird place to be. A wonderful, witty, warm, wordy, weird place.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Tue May 07, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

Kieryn (or anyone else who knows); could you tell me what the noun  means? Yes, that's the word between these brackets: (). I wouldn't ask, only I seem to have used it 13 times and I don't really remember using it. Can someone help me out?

Alteration: Holy See Haberdasher's Infallible Patron. Sweet.
Last edited by Smithers on Tue May 07, 2013 11:19 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.

Helper goeth to Starbux:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 07, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:New song parody. To the tune of Que Será, Será
Spoiler:
When I first saw the Comic "Time"
I asked Lord Randall, What does it mean
What's the sand made of
What is the sea
Here's what He said to me

Wait for it, for it
The future's not yours to see
Wait for it, for it
What will be, will be

When I grew up and joined the thread
I asked the forum, What lies ahead
Will we have castles
Day after day
Here's what the forum said

Wait for it, for it
Wait for it, for it
What will be, will be

Now there are posters after me
They ask the forum, What will there be
Will we find rivers
Filling the sea
I tell them tenderly

Wait for it, for it
Wait for it, for it
What will be, will be
Wait for it, for it

Very Nice! I can picture Doris Day singing it. Of course, it will be Doris Day as played by Megan, with Cueball playing the Jimmy Stewart role...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”