1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue May 07, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

LONG TIME PASSONG......
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue May 07, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:Kieryn (or anyone else who knows); could you tell me what the noun  means? Yes, that's the word between these brackets: (). I wouldn't ask, only I seem to have used it 13 times and I don't really remember using it. Can someone help me out?

What, you mean "fnord"?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 07, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
mscha wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
Looks good! The only thing I'm not happy about, is the frame numbering. Since a few days ikositetranewpix, the Book of Aubron accidentally includes the three ‘apocryphal’ frames (and shows them as duplicates, just compare frames 256-258 with 259-261), so any frame past that has a number that's 3 higher than the ‘canonical’ numbering. I contacted him yesterday through his site, he said he would look into it, so most likely it's going to change.
(emphasis added)
Most other sources (Geekwagon, other places in the wiki (but not Explain¹)) all use the same ‘canonical’ numbers as my list.
So would you mind if we do the same here? That means that all frame numbers higher than 256 should be decremented by 3.

¹: which uses a strange numbering for the first period when Outside time moved slower

I've been following the ‘apocryphal’ / ‘canonical’ numbering dialog since I got here. I even got caught up in the problematic numbers while making my collection (I even have some frames which still seem to be dupe).
Since I just made a post where I used frame numbers, which are based on explain wiki numbers, I need to say "Huh"? {Insert Mal Reynolds face just before blackout}
I mean my frame numbers match your frame numbers and not "off" in any way (trying to reconcile "which uses a strange numbering for the first period")
mscha
| 1169: | 2013-05-07 16:00 | xkcd_time_20130507_2000.png | 330ceb833f1cc035110a577a86fdc0cb16bc80c410ce79ee15785a3be5c9454d |
explain:
Below is the list of all the frames of the comic, in the order that they were revealed. The given times denote the time since the comic
was initially released on midnight, March 25, 2013, Eastern Daylight Savings Time (UTC - 0400).
Day 44, Tuesday, May 7, 2013
| 1048:001 | 44/16:002 | 330ceb833f1cc035110a577a86fdc0cb16bc80c410ce79ee15785a3be5c9454d.png
1 elapsed hours since the Beginning3 |2Day # / Time {[duh]} | 3a hotlink which give an image labeled "time1169.png"
my translation:
1169-330ceb833f1cc035110a577a86fdc0cb16bc80c410ce79ee15785a3be5c9454d | d44--1600 | {from xkcd home}

My two brain cells may not be computing, I'm just wondering if you're saying explain numbers not to be trusted, or if there's something kooky with their early numbers?
Please keep it simple (without being simplistic, my third brain cell went on vacation and didn't take me with it).
Thanks.

It's not so much that explain xkcd can't be trusted, it's that it uses an entirely different way of numbering than all the other lists: day 1 starts with frame 00:00, then 00:30, up to 23:30; day 2 goes from 24:00 to 47:30, etc., up to (so far) day 44, from 1032:00 on. That is, each frame's number is the (Outside) duration in HH:MM since the beginning of Time.

I was just asking because when you click on their HH:MM number the name of the image you get is "time####.png", in which "####" happens to be the frame number. Is the problem with them not putting the frame number up top then?

Sure, if they use that file name convention consistently, that'll work. (And a spot check seems to confirm that they do.) But since it doesn't list that number anywhere in the text, I wouldn't call it their “frame number”.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:The OTT is a weird place to be. A wonderful, witty, warm, wordy, weird place.

Something we all agree on, methinks.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

descor

Postby descor » Tue May 07, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:Kieryn (or anyone else who knows); could you tell me what the noun  means? Yes, that's the word between these brackets: (). I wouldn't ask, only I seem to have used it 13 times and I don't really remember using it. Can someone help me out?

Alteration: Holy See Haberdasher's Infallible Patron. Sweet.

Well,   is the HTML code for a non-breaking space but I don't see how you've entered that in BB code?
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Tue May 07, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

Honestly, you've used it far more often than that. I count 51 times in that post alone.

Edit: I also just noticed that one of my top nouns is actually "the" in ROT13.
Last edited by Caswallon on Tue May 07, 2013 11:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue May 07, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

What, you mean "fnord"?

Pfhorrest, did you mean to put something between the quotes?

Smithers,   is the HTML entity name for a non-breaking space. Since the forum's text processing evidently ignores HTML entities such as   and & and — (drat it), I'm not sure how you got it into your posts.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue May 07, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:When I got to be 20+ pages behind, I figured it would take me too long to chutney. (Thought I'd spice things up a bit.)

I see what you did there, and raise you a delicious hot cock sriracha.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue May 07, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:The OTT is a weird place to be. A wonderful, witty, warm, wordy, weird place.

[Going on while mscha and me are beating a dead horse even deader. {thanks}]
Weird, wacky, wooly, warped place, indeed.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:Alteration: Holy See Haberdasher's Infallible Patron. Sweet.

Yes, yes, that's it. Join us. JOIN US...
Last edited by HAL9000 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Tue May 07, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Caswallon wrote:Alteration: Holy See Haberdasher's Infallible Patron. Sweet.

.....I didn't say that....
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue May 07, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

descor wrote:

Well,   is the HTML code for a non-breaking space but I don't see how you've entered that in BB code?

Perhaps phpBB is one that, if you use two spaces after a full stop, before your next sentence, it inserts a(n)  ? Let's see:
This. Is. Not. A. Complete. Sentence.
No, looks like it just leaves them all as plain spaces, which get mashed into one by the browser. Beats me how that got in there, then.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 07, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:It's come up a few times recently, so I went ahead and took the time to make a Dialogue Summary page on the wiki. It's current through the most recent NewpixGongFramePic...

ETA: I'm not sure how to change the redirect of "Dialogue" from the Litany to this page, though. So if any of you intrepid wiki-masters want to fix that little thing, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Looks like somebody already made the change, Dialogue now redirects to your new page.

Looks good! The only thing I'm not happy about, is the frame numbering. Since a few days ikositetranewpix, the Book of Aubron accidentally includes the three ‘apocryphal’ frames (and shows them as duplicates, just compare frames 256-258 with 259-261), so any frame past that has a number that's 3 higher than the ‘canonical’ numbering. I contacted him yesterday through his site, he said he would look into it, so most likely it's going to change.
Most other sources (Geekwagon, other places in the wiki (but not Explain¹)) all use the same ‘canonical’ numbers as my list.
So would you mind if we do the same here? That means that all frame numbers higher than 256 should be decremented by 3.

¹: which uses a strange numbering for the first period when Outside time moved slower

Well I certainly won't argue with it. I did mention that the frame numbers were from Aubronwood but that's clearly not the canonical numbering. I'll make the needed decrementations.

Changes made...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Not yet...
Though I did go back and fix it. Deleted the wrong open-quote tag the first time around.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue May 07, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

[Going on while mscha and me are beating a dead horse even deader. {thanks}]
Weird, wacky, wooly, warped place, indeed.

and where was this weird, wonderful, witty, warm, wordy, wacky, warped, woolly, place? The World Wide Web of course
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

descor

Postby descor » Tue May 07, 2013 11:13 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

HAL is on a recruitment drive - I don't think you have a choice, there's no use arguing with a computer.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Tue May 07, 2013 11:14 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:

What, you mean "fnord"?

Smithers,   is the HTML entity name for a non-breaking space. Since the forum's text processing evidently ignores HTML entities such as   and & and — (drat it), I'm not sure how you got it into your posts.

Actually, it got there because I put it there. I hoped the forum would leave it in the HTML and put a double width space between the words 'noun' and 'means' (I know HTML well enough that two spaces would not suffice). My intent was to indicate a word which is zero characters in length, but I guess I made an ass out of u and me (actually just me) when I assumed that phpBB would leave entities unmolested.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 07, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

Wooo, while I coma'd the OTC really got intense1!

1Pun made with intent2
2This pun also made with intent2,3
3Haha, you'll never get this far because of the infinite loop!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue May 07, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure the forum will preserve unicode characters, so you could type (or copy and paste) an actual nonbreaking space instead of typing in the HTML entity code.

Also since you were mentioning the word instead of using it, it should have been quoted anyway, so you could have put “what the word ‘’ means” (using proper quotes here so as not to confuse '' with " since I'm nesting quotes).
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Tue May 07, 2013 11:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Tue May 07, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Not yet...

Alright, who told the computers that they could start predicting the future?

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:When I got to be 20+ pages behind, I figured it would take me too long to chutney. (Thought I'd spice things up a bit.)

I see what you did there, and raise you a delicious hot cock sriracha.

Mmm, sriracha. Now I'm in the mood for phở.

Notice I'm ignoring the strikeout text. :)

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Not yet...

Nobody. But I've known that I'd eventually gain that ability for quite some time now.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Tue May 07, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I'm pretty sure the forum will preserve unicode characters, so you could type (or copy and paste) an actual nonbreaking space instead of typing in the HTML entity code.

Also since you were mentioning the word instead of using it, it should have been quoted anyway, so you could have put “what the word ‘’ means” (using proper quotes here so as not to confuse '' with " since I'm nesting quotes).

But in that case,   should surely be in my list, because I tend to use the Unicode non-breaking spaces in my ellipses. I assume that's why the period is my number 4 "noun", yet the   isn't in there at all.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

descor

Postby descor » Tue May 07, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Not yet...

Nobody. But I've known that I'd eventually gain that ability for quite some time now.

Honestly, you get lucky with the whole grass prediction and it goes straight to your CPU.

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Tue May 07, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I'm pretty sure the forum will preserve unicode characters, so you could type (or copy and paste) an actual nonbreaking space instead of typing in the HTML entity code.

Can't believe I forgot about that! I already know that Unicode passes through phpBB from earlier attempts at beating the madness. (Also the character limit on sigs; the spaces in "Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic" are not normal spaces for that reason.)

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue May 07, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

descor wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

HAL is on a recruitment drive - I don't think you have a choice, there's no use arguing with a computer.

Then will need a Spockian conundrum to put a stop to it, right? ("I love you"; "I don't love you")

Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer ; Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer ; Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer

{who saying that? me? it is fun to say Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer ; Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 07, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
KarMann wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:25 years in the SCA

O hai! Me too

You guys scare me. What's a Sexual Compulsive anyway?
(see http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCA)

Somebody at the Pennsic War, dressed in a tunic, bruised from combat, drunk on mead, and flirting wildly with all the lasses in low-cut maiden garb as they dance, hoping for a night of merriment back at his tent.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

descor

Postby descor » Tue May 07, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
descor wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Then will need a Spockian conundrum to put a stop to it, right? ("I love you"; "I don't love you")

Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer ; Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer ; Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer

{who saying that? me? it is fun to say Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer ; Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer}

// Do you think if we write like this HAL won't be able to read it?

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Tue May 07, 2013 11:29 pm UTC

descor wrote:// Do you think if we write like this HAL won't be able to read it?

/* If I do this will he skip the rest of the thread?
<!-- Just to be sure
#if 0
#| (worth a try)

Helper goeth to Starbux:

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 07, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:The newpixbot picks a random word ending in ‘ong’ from /usr/share/dict/american-english-huge on my server – there are 135 of them – so it seems fishy to me, this is definitely not the first repeat I've seen. I'm not a statistician, so I can't judge how likely or unlikely it is.
Maybe it's just our Lord Randall sending us a message. Can't think what it would be, though.
I made some changes so that it'll try something new, next time it gets a chance to post.

It's actually fairly probable that there will be repeats. This is related to the birthday problem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem.
We think of it like the probability of a repeat of a given phrase (which is pretty low), but since it's a repeat of any phrase, it gets higher each time a new phrase is chosen and after a while has to happen. After 135 unique ong postings by the newpixbot, it would have to repeat.

I know about the birthday paradox. (TL;DR: in a class of 30 students, the chance that 2 of them have the same birthday is > 50%.) But it feels like newpixbot is repeating itself more often than the birthday paradox explains.
I counted the ONGs, and of the 57 times that newpixbot posted, the following were used more than once:
Spoiler:
BOGONG: 3
EVENSONG: 3
DAYLONG: 2
FLONG: 2
KALONG: 2
LEGONG: 2
SCUPPERNONG: 2
SINGSONG: 2
SPRONG: 2

That's 11 times out of 57 that it picked one it had used before. Seems too high to me.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue May 07, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

This has been, thus far, my most eventful trek ever!

Page 452/561 - 109 pages behind. Apr 29, 2013 4:08 pm - one week, 23 hours, 8 minutes of content to ketchup.

What's on this post spoilers
Spoiler:
Postsingularity.

PostPostplosion.

PostWhiteFade.

LANDMARK: I pass my own SignPost, in which I was at NewPage 217.

Then, I reach BlitzGirl's most epic SingPost ever. She ketchup to today! (of the past)

She passes all these SignPosts of herself:

Spoiler:
351 out of 391 pages
355 out of 393 pages
359 out of 397 pages
367 out of 398 pages
372 out of 401 pages
378 out of 408 pages
382 out of 409 pages
385 out of 414 pages

8 instead of infinity? This proves Zeno was wrong!

425 out of 438 pages (epic post of above).
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
jovialbard wrote:The one thing about knowing that BlitzGirl is coming is that when you write something stupid or embarrassing, you know somebody is going to read it, again. Now that I've actually done the due diligence of a google search I have to go back and edit a disclaimer into my posts about that name.

And if not me, then perhaps some other Quester, like Vytron! This Thread's past is still alive and kicking, even as it races into the future!

:)

I actually think that the stupidest post is that one which is never made. So all lurkers reading this, I invite you to sign up and tell us your opinion about time! If there's one thing I'm sad about, it's all the content I've missed because it was never posted...

BlitzGirl meets VoronX.

cmyk wonders if the fade out will slow down and it'll be done by frame 1000. Oh, please, NO!

Purplepants77 lost in the past, reaches BlitzGirl's SignPost at 425.

People have gone crazy with the fade out, I'm having to resort to highlighting with the mouse.

The last SignPost. 438 out of 442 pages. 425 out of 438 pages.

BlitzGirl wrote:Best of luck on your Quest, Vytron! You don't know me in your present, as my first signpost didn't appear until newpage 223. But in your future, by the time you reach this post, you should know: we are kindred spirits, you and I!

Thanks!! Yes, I was a ware of your presence, since I've read some Sigencouragement directed at you by that point. But I had no idea how BIG this event was! It also took me a lot of time to realize you had caught up, and I did it before reaching your first SignPost!

I basically read your adventure backwards :)

MILESTONE!: And then, at Apr 29, 2013 10:27 am UTC, BlitzGirl's over BlitzGirling! She catches up with the present!!

BlitzGirl wrote:*stumbles out of Time vortex*

*blinks*

Wow. So this is Present Time, huh?

...Hi, everybody! :D

*hugs*

*Hugs BlitzGirl*

And as BlitzGirl catches up with the thread, BlitzGirl is back on the OTC!

Forget what I said about fading taking too long, I want to see what happens next!

Some Google Statistics are posted, I put here some of my own:

Searching Time on Google makes xkcd: Time appear as second result of page 4
The comic xkcd: Is It Worth the Time? appears as last result of page 18

Searching for "One True Comic":
xkcd: Time appears as last result of page 8
OTT: xkcd • View topic - 1190: "Time" appears at bottom of page 11

Searching for BlitzGirl:

Blitzgirl
xkcd-time.wikia.com rules most of it.
OTT: xkcd • View topic - 1190: "Time" appears 4th of page 3

Lyoug posts lists of first time posters. Welcome lurkers, keep them coming!

VoronX's SignPost, he's fallen behind, 395 out of 445 pages. Wonders about fading out sigs. Realizes he missed singularity by reading Jonas79's You did it BlitzGirl! sigcouragement.

BlitzGirl wrote:Sharkbait! Ooh-ha-ha!

That's what SHE said!

htom's SignPost. Reaches BlitzGirl's 438 out of 442 pages.

The one true comic goes all white.

Time slows down to a crawl as posts per Newpix accelerate. I get stuck at April 29.

Edo falls into the Past.

But not all is lost for True Blitzers! SWO Crash catches up with the present, as does StratPlayer, then RobIrr does too! Which reminds me:

Reader tracking map (8307 Visitors when copied)

Then:

Time II: The Return Of The Avenging Pixel

Begins!

Can I suggest another song for Time's Soundtrack to celebrate this moment? Another one by Chicago: Beginnings.
Spoiler:
When I'm with you, it doesn't matter where we are, or what we're doing
I'm with you, that's all that matters

Time passes much too quickly when we're together laughing
I wish I could sing it to you, oh no
I wish I could sing it to you

Oh whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
Mostly I'm silent, mm-hm-hm-hm...Silent, la la la la la
Never think of the right words to say

When I kiss you, I feel a thousand different feelings
The color of chills all over my body, yeah, yeah, yeah

And when I feel them, I quickly try to decide which one
I should try to put into words, oh no, try to put into words

Mostly I'm silent...Silent...La la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la...Silent...

Only the beginning of what I want to feel forever
Yeah, oh, oh, whoa
Yes, only the beginning of what I want to feel forever
Only the beginning, only just the start, yeah
I've got to get you into my life mama, I've got to get you next to me
Only the beginning, only just the start
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah...Mmm-hmmm...

Only the beginning...Only the beginning...
Only the beginning...Only the beginning...[fade to white]

Another crowning moment of funny:

Montov wrote:Anyway, if we extrapolate the progress made by BlitzGirl, I calculate that starting tomorrow BlitzGirl will be posting from the future. Hopefully she will be giving signs in her signature what to expect.

:mrgreen:

Cuball and Megan are back!, and it'll take me much longer to see what they do due to Postplosion!

Progress to the BigBang: 839,000 Years ago (Homo antecessor common.) 443,000 years of progress.

Onward!
Last edited by Vytron on Tue May 07, 2013 11:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Tue May 07, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

I'd better close these in case I ever need the pod bay doors opening.
|#
#endif
-->
*/
Hey HAL! You miss us?

Helper goeth to Starbux:

htom

Postby htom » Tue May 07, 2013 11:35 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:

Can't believe I forgot about that! I already know that Unicode passes through phpBB from earlier attempts at beating the madness. (Also the character limit on sigs; the spaces in "Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic" are not normal spaces for that reason.)

Some keyboards (or keyboard drivers) will insert a non-breaking-space if you hit shift-space (or other c/a/m-space combinations.)

A horse by any other name ...

A horse is a horse, of course, of course,
And no one can talk to a horse of course
That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mr. Ed.

Go right to the source and ask the horse
He'll give you the answer that you'll endorse.
He's always on a steady course. Talk to Mr. Ed.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 07, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
Smithers wrote:Kieryn (or anyone else who knows); could you tell me what the noun &nbsp;means? Yes, that's the word between these brackets: (). I wouldn't ask, only I seem to have used it 13 times and I don't really remember using it. Can someone help me out?

What, you mean "fnord"?

Smithers, &nbsp; is the HTML entity name for a non-breaking space. Since the forum's text processing evidently ignores HTML entities such as &nbsp; and &amp; and &mdash; (drat it), I'm not sure how you got it into your posts.

Actually, it got there because I put it there. I hoped the forum would leave it in the HTML and put a double width space between the words 'noun' and 'means' (I know HTML well enough that two spaces would not suffice). My intent was to indicate a word which is zero characters in length, but I guess I made an ass out of u and me (actually just me) when I assumed that phpBB would leave entities unmolested.

Thanks... a bug. I'm not processing HTML entities... I need to convert them to UTF-8. Adding to my reallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallylong todo list
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue May 07, 2013 11:39 pm UTC

What if HAL is doing this "recruitment" drive just to be page pope again?

edit
OOOppps and I may have helped him, DARN IT.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 07, 2013 11:42 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:What if HAL is doing this "recruitment" drive just to be page pope again?

edit

What HAL is trying to enslave us again???
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

descor

Postby descor » Tue May 07, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
pelrigg wrote:What if HAL is doing this "recruitment" drive just to be page pope again?

edit

What HAL is trying to enslave us again???

There's only one thing for it ... where did I leave that screwdriver again?

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:I'd better close these in case I ever need the pod bay doors opening.
|#
#endif
-->
*/
Hey HAL! You miss us?

I know that you and descor were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

FayZee

Postby FayZee » Tue May 07, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:
Kieryn wrote:What's with the times on this forum? They are all listed UTC... Last time I checked, the 1st post was March 25th at 4.09 am UTC, which kind of made sense.
Now it's displaying as 11.09 pm on the 24th.??

Edit: At time of posting this post is currently displayed (to me) as Tue May 07, 2013 8:53 am UTC.

The actual time is Tue May 07, 2013 9:53 am UTC-05:00

Sorry, I cannot help you... Your post is displayed to me to be posted at
by Kieryn » newpix 1162.88

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I too am using Pikrass's brilliant "heretic dates to newpix convertor" time script, although an earlier version before it was amalgamated with the others.

I adapted the script by substituting a += to retain the UTC time stamp in front of the NewPix, :

authors[i].lastChild.data += ' » newpix '+t.npToString(realDate);

thus getting the best of both worlds.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 07, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Smithers wrote:I'd better close these in case I ever need the pod bay doors opening.
|#
#endif
-->
*/
Hey HAL! You miss us?

I know that you and descor were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

Descor you better hurry up on finding that screwdriver, he is regaining control!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”