1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Wed May 08, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Ok folks ... update on the quote tree graph (up to post 22300ish).
This time it's the full graph. And with full I mean FULL...

Oh my Randall, that is a work of art... :o
Only, too bad that it's so full of information that you can't really see the trees for the forest. :?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

descor

Postby descor » Wed May 08, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Ok folks ... update on the quote tree graph (up to post 22300ish).
This time it's the full graph. And with full I mean FULL... all the 835 people who have quoted or have been quoted or both and all the 8757 quotes along with all the names, color coded average posting length, size coded posting count per user, width and color coded quote count and (at least for the main quoters) directional hints (also known as arrows)

Woah :shock: that is awesome.

I particularly love the small constellations of people who are unconnected to the main galaxy.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed May 08, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
This time it's the full graph. And with full I mean FULL...

Oh my Randall, that is a work of art... :o
Only, too bad that it's so full of information that you can't really see the trees for the forest. :?

Thanks. I know, it isn't really an efficient info-graphic. I created it for aestethic value. So yes, you could classify it as "art" (though I don't think it's something original, since the heavy lifting was done by an algorithm and not be me).
Last edited by Sciscitor on Wed May 08, 2013 8:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 08, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

This time it's the full graph. And with full I mean FULL... all the 835 people who have quoted or have been quoted or both and all the 8757 quotes along with all the names, color coded average posting length, size coded posting count per user, width and color coded quote count and (at least for the main quoters) directional hints (also known as arrows)1.
I can append only a compressed minified thumb here (about 1.3 MB), the links go to the original sized 4096x4096 PNG (15.6 MB) and a SVG (4.1 MB) version. But beware, these images are not for the faint of heart or low on RAM.
I call them "The constellations of Time". Enjoy.
1 No hamsters where harmed or injured in the creation of this visualization. It consits solely of naturally grown and recycled electrons and photons.

Awesome. I suggest you join me as a member of the Data Analysis Department
Other members I recommend to the council:
Latent22,cmyk... others TBD
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed May 08, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

Awesome!

So, what's the polarity of the arrows? What's the color key? Does "post length" include the quotes, or just original content? Enquiring minds want to know!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 08, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Quick tip for those NP with annoyingly large quote blocks...

Enter in your browser's JS console:

Code: Select all

var bqList = document.getElementsByTagName('blockquote'); for (var i = 0; i < bqList.length; i++) { bqList[i].parentNode.removeChild(bqList[i]); }
Image- Kieryn

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed May 08, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
This time it's the full graph. And with full I mean FULL... all the 835 people who have quoted or have been quoted or both and all the 8757 quotes along with all the names, color coded average posting length, size coded posting count per user, width and color coded quote count and (at least for the main quoters) directional hints (also known as arrows

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

My God, it's FULL OF STARS!!!!

FTFY

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Wed May 08, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

Greetings from page 549. My ketchup is bordering on being an actual quest. I should've known better than to ignore the OTT over the weekend/Monday, I suppose.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 08, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
Spoiler:
Ok folks ... update on the quote tree graph (up to post 22300ish).
This time it's the full graph. And with full I mean FULL... all the 835 people who have quoted or have been quoted or both and all the 8757 quotes along with all the names, color coded average posting length, size coded posting count per user, width and color coded quote count and (at least for the main quoters) directional hints (also known as arrows)1.
I can append only a compressed minified thumb here (about 1.3 MB), the links go to the original sized 4096x4096 PNG (15.6 MB) and a SVG (4.1 MB) version. But beware, these images are not for the faint of heart or low on RAM.
I call them "The Constellations of Time". Enjoy.
1 No hamsters where harmed or injured in the creation of this visualization. It consits solely of naturally grown and recycled electrons and photons.

Cool. I'm a major dot. I feel vindicated and liked now.

and now, since this is obviously the result of the monolith, Hal's data core has to go before he kills the entire crew.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Wed May 08, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Hello again everyone!

This is super cool. I found myself surprisingly quickly (thanks to being placed close to Helper (is he still Pope?) and having a larger than expected dot). I could stare at this thing all day. I think I shall.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed May 08, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

Blindposting:
PhoenixRising wrote:
Exodies wrote:
Valarya wrote:Also, wouldn't "Pi" page be 314 instead of 341? :P

Only literally.

Depends on what base you're using.

Assuming interpreting it as 3.41, either base 28 or base 29 would get you pretty close. Neither would actually get you 3.41 for π, though, by any conventional form of rounding or truncating. If you're kinky enough to be into fractional bases, it should be around base 28.49787915. If you're really into the perverted stuff, it could even be base -0.24782593. (You just have to ignore the question of what integer representations mean in a base with absolute value less than 1. Like I said, perverted & twisted.)

(Yes, I'm the kind of guy who calculated in what base 6×9=42 back in high school, long before it became (relatively) common knowledge that it was base 13. Why do you ask?)
Last edited by KarMann on Wed May 08, 2013 8:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed May 08, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

This is incredible! Awesome job, Sciscitor. I, too, noticed that Opibole and Helper like to quote each other a lot. Butt buddies.

I like how I'm nestled comfortably right in the center of:
  • BlitzGirl
  • StratPlayer
  • mscha
  • cmyk
  • Latent22
  • azule

:mrgreen:
*spider webby OTT quote universe constellation hugs*

(edit: haha, just noticed that you can see "Grammar Police" and "Randall Who Created All" in the vicinity of my screenshot, too. Guess they've been quoted enough to make the list.)
Attachments
oooh pretty.jpg
Last edited by Valarya on Wed May 08, 2013 8:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed May 08, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
buffygirl wrote:The only problem is the fact that when they left the castle, they headed "north" (away from the castle and the sea).

Huh? I thought we had a consensus that they walked along the coastline. That's how they managed to sit by the sea after a long walk, and how they could tell the sea was still rising, and it's also the logical direction to go when you're looking for more rivers that feed into the sea. Do you just mean that they left the castle scene "north"ward before turning to follow the coast? I don't really see anything to contradict that in the map.

I had the same question.
Anyway, we can't know for sure that they're not turning progressively left or right, so they could really have made a complete circle by now...

Angelastic wrote:A game where you can only see a cross-section at a time would be interesting. You could spend hours in it just working out that you were standing next to an elephant.

You'd be turning on yourself all the time to check if there's anything around you... that would be maddeningly great :)
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Wed May 08, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

TINYONG

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 08, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
buffygirl wrote:The only problem is the fact that when they left the castle, they headed "north" (away from the castle and the sea).

Huh? I thought we had a consensus that they walked along the coastline. That's how they managed to sit by the sea after a long walk, and how they could tell the sea was still rising, and it's also the logical direction to go when you're looking for more rivers that feed into the sea. Do you just mean that they left the castle scene "north"ward before turning to follow the coast? I don't really see anything to contradict that in the map.

I had the same question.
Anyway, we can't know for sure that they're not turning progressively left or right, so they could really have made a complete circle by now...

Angelastic wrote:A game where you can only see a cross-section at a time would be interesting. You could spend hours in it just working out that you were standing next to an elephant.

You'd be turning on yourself all the time to check if there's anything around you... that would be maddeningly great :)

2D man's bluff?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

descor

Postby descor » Wed May 08, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:<snip>

Awesome. I suggest you join me as a member of the Data Analysis Department

To whom do I submit my application to join the Outsider Relations Department?
I submit these 1, 2, as my CV and can provide references1 on request.

1Not good references. Or indeed real.

Edited to fix appalling grammar.
Last edited by descor on Wed May 08, 2013 8:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed May 08, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

ucim wrote:

Awesome!

So, what's the polarity of the arrows? What's the color key? Does "post length" include the quotes, or just original content? Enquiring minds want to know!

Jose

Arrow polarity: "Tail" quoted "Head".
Color key: Light yellow to dark blue <-> short postings to long postings OR few quotes <-> many quotes
Posting length: Only original content, no quotes.
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed May 08, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:TINYONG
Spoiler:

He's going to trip on that rock.

On a completely unrelated note, if anyone knows how to get things saved in Movie Maker 2.6 on Win 7 could you PM me? Got a panicked email regarding a final project and I don't know how to help.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Wed May 08, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:...

This is incredible! Awesome job, Sciscitor. I, too, noticed that Opibole and Helper like to quote each other a lot. Butt buddies.

• BlitzGirl
  • StratPlayer
  • mscha
  • cmyk
  • Latent22
  • azule

I don't say much, but there I am right there next to you (and it seems like nearly everything I've posted here has included a quote from someone, but I have very few people that I've quoted more than once or twice).

*jumps in with the spider webby OTT quote universe constellation hugs*

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed May 08, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Awesome. I suggest you join me as a member of the Data Analysis Department

I'd be honoured! Is there a title involved?

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 08, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
ucim wrote:

Awesome!

Jose

Color key: Light yellow to dark blue <-> short postings to long postings OR few quotes <-> many quotes

Seems like Opiboble has a strong relationship with the Pope...
Image- Kieryn

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed May 08, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:My God, it's FULL OF STARS!!!!

Phew, thanks Whizbang, you won me a bottle of beer with that fix!
Edited for nickname correction.
Last edited by Sciscitor on Wed May 08, 2013 8:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Wow. That would make a wonderful-looking negative space wedgie for a Star Trek episode. "Is that the entire Borg Collective? No, it's a Time web, composed of pure tachyon energy. They must all be waiting for... something our data analysis can only call, 'it.'"

I found myself in the improbable and distinctive position of farthest left. Thank you, Sciscitor's algorithm, for this unexpected honor!
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

richP

Postby richP » Wed May 08, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

Whoa... +1 internets for you. That is freaking awesome.

Needs to be available as a poster!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed May 08, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
Spoiler:

• BlitzGirl
  • StratPlayer
  • mscha
  • cmyk
  • Latent22
  • azule

I don't say much, but there I am right there next to you (and it seems like nearly everything I've posted here has included a quote from someone, but I have very few people that I've quoted more than once or twice).

Sorry, airdrik! You are nestled in right there with me in the comfy zone. Welcome to the ValBlitzStratBotLatentFox hug!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed May 08, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
spamjam wrote:TINYONG
Spoiler:

He's going to trip on that rock.

On a completely unrelated note, if anyone knows how to get things saved in Movie Maker 2.6 on Win 7 could you PM me? Got a panicked email regarding a final project and I don't know how to help.

Is that Windows Movie Maker or another piece of software? WMM I have plenty of experience with but otherwise...

My god...it's full of stars.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 08, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

richP wrote:Whoa... +1 internets for you. That is freaking awesome.

Needs to be available as a poster!

A poster would be sweet!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed May 08, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Is that Windows Movie Maker or another piece of software? WMM I have plenty of experience with but otherwise...

Yeah, Windows Movie Maker. She got it all edited, and went to publish it, and (eventually) got an error saying it can't save to that location, verify that the source files are all still available, and that the save location is available with enough space.

Files are there, space is there. I think she's going to re-edit it using Windows Movie Maker Live, to see if that works. Feel free to PM me, don't want to be off-topic.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 08, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Is that Windows Movie Maker or another piece of software? WMM I have plenty of experience with but otherwise...

Yeah, Windows Movie Maker. She got it all edited, and went to publish it, and (eventually) got an error saying it can't save to that location, verify that the source files are all still available, and that the save location is available with enough space.

Files are there, space is there. I think she's going to re-edit it using Windows Movie Maker Live, to see if that works. Feel free to PM me, don't want to be off-topic.

Really, this is the OTT, we are always on topic when we are off topic, plus this sounds interesting and I want to eavesdrop!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 08, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Awesome. I suggest you join me as a member of the Data Analysis Department

I am not really sure... I don't have an official title myself and I am only a member by AluisioASG's decree... and that was with the '?' appendum

I guess as both a Hattee and default appointee of the department, I have the authority to the following:

I Kieryn, analyser of data of the OTC, explorer of mystery in the OTC, on this NP 570 of the OTT, np 1193 of the OTC, hereby declare myself Supreme Head of the Time Foundations Data Analysis Department (henceforth abreviated as TFDA, pronounced 'tiff-dah'), and additionally announce the following official appointments:

Sciscitor, OTT Quote Specialist
Latent22, OTC Frame Specialist
cmyk, Graphics and Visualization Expert
Image- Kieryn

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Wed May 08, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
SBN wrote:

Really, this is the OTT, we are always on topic when we are off topic, plus this sounds interesting and I want to eavesdrop!

I did figure this was the group most likely to have the expertise I need for this topic. Help is appreciated. I could even send/put the files somewhere if that would help.

Some Ways to Time

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Wed May 08, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
airdrik wrote:
Spoiler:

• BlitzGirl
  • StratPlayer
  • mscha
  • cmyk
  • Latent22
  • azule

Sorry, airdrik! You are nestled in right there with me in the comfy zone. Welcome to the ValBlitzStratBotLatentFox hug!

It's actually pretty cozy right here; and if anything should happen the webbing is pretty thick and makes a nice safety net.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed May 08, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

Sciscitor, it's/you're so awesome!
Finally, conclusive proof that....we've been spending way too much time in one single thread. hah. *shrug* Eh, what are ya gonna do?

Hah, and giraffes. They were there the whole time. :shock:

EDIT:
Valarya wrote:Sorry, airdrik! You are nestled in right there with me in the comfy zone. Welcome to the ValBlitzStratBotLatentFox hug!

*wags fox tail*
Last edited by azule on Wed May 08, 2013 8:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

descor

Postby descor » Wed May 08, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
airdrik wrote:

• BlitzGirl
  • StratPlayer
  • mscha
  • cmyk
  • Latent22
  • azule

It's actually pretty cozy right here; and if anything should happen the webbing is pretty thick and makes a nice safety net.

I'm stuck directly between BlitzGirl and lmjb1964.

I say stuck, more nestled.

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed May 08, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:

I am not really sure... I don't have an official title myself and I am only a member by AluisioASG's decree... and that was with the '?' appendum

I guess as both a Hattee and default appointee of the department, I have the authority to the following:

I Kieryn, analyser of data of the OTC, explorer of mystery in the OTC, on this NP 570 of the OTT, np 1193 of the OTC, hereby declare myself Supreme Head of the Time Foundations Data Analysis Department (henceforth abreviated as TFDA, pronounced 'tiff-dah'), and additionally announce the following official appointments:

Sciscitor, OTT Quote Specialist
Latent22, OTC Frame Specialist
cmyk, Graphics and Visualization Expert

Thank you SHOT TFDA!

Concerning those who asked for posters: Feel free to use the files for whatever your creativity comes up with. (I don't think they have any other than some technical merit. But maybe it's the same I feel about the creations of others, like BlitzGirls "We love the OTT" or yappobscuits musical rendering of it or Stratplayers songs or buffygirls hats... Those are things I am simply neither creative enough for nor capable of and they do impress me no end.)
Last edited by Sciscitor on Thu May 09, 2013 5:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 08, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

I'm glad to be somewhere on the Left Hand Side as a leftie. :D :D
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed May 08, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
ucim wrote:

Awesome!

Jose

It's already been said several times over, but ... awesome work!

Is there any relevance to the positions (e.g. average post-page on one axis and first post page on the other)? Or is it just optimized for aesthetics and readability?

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed May 08, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

[...]

In my imagination, Lord Randall sits before his computer and cannot stop head-shaking, face-palming, and giggling.

(Heh, found me)

In the last 72 newpix some great work was published. Songs, maps - in several variations, .... just wow.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 08, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

This time it's the full graph. And with full I mean FULL... all the 835 people who have quoted or have been quoted or both and all the 8757 quotes along with all the names, color coded average posting length, size coded posting count per user, width and color coded quote count and (at least for the main quoters) directional hints (also known as arrows)1. <snip>

Maybe because I have Sharkbait on the brain, but here's my reaction:

What is it?
It's so pretty!
I...I'm feeling happy. Which is a big deal, for me.
I want to touch it...oh!

Also: fifth star from the left, and straight on till GONGing!

Awesome work, Sciscitor!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 08, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
SBN wrote:

I did figure this was the group most likely to have the expertise I need for this topic. Help is appreciated. I could even send/put the files somewhere if that would help.

Are you trying to render a movie?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”