1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Caswallon

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Caswallon » Thu May 09, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:What's going ONG?
Spoiler:

What are those? Join it? The river? I don't understand :cry:

It appears that they have come across a stretch of rapids. "They" could be boulders or bluffs nearby and since they've been following the river, it makes sense that is what he intends to rejoin. Although, I question the soundness of his plan. Once you start going around obstacles and out of sight of a river or stream it can be very easy to get turned around lose track of its path.

Actually, the river cutting through a cliff or bluff seems likely. It would be difficult to continue upriver, and I just realized that if it was cutting through a cave, then they would just cross the river as they were looking for a place to ford :( Don't I feel silly.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 09, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
ucim wrote:
Opiboble wrote:I think Lord Randall would have shown us the epicenes of the size of the bridge if it was a bridge.
If it were a bridge, he may yet. We'll just have to...
Spoiler:

Jose

I see what you did not do, and you thought you were so clever!

I dunno, I clicked it once, got angry, clicked it twice more... then laughed. He got me, even though I'd already said Wait for It in my head!

Honestly I did think it was clever :p It was a good prank.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:Today I realized that, at some point in the past week or so, I stopped going out and looking at the original link that I usually followed to view newpix. Instead, I just automatically come to this thread and start catching up from where I left off. All of the newpix are posted here (often multiple times), so there's no need to go out to the web to look for them anywhere else. If I always just catch up, I'll pick up any newpix I may have missed chronologically.

Now, if I can just get you guys to start talking about all of the other things of interest to me (TV shows I watch, daily news reports, etc.) I may find that I never need to leave this forum at all. :D

Wait, people leave this forum?

jetpac wrote:And... I'm back in the present! Woohoo! Oh wow, I like what you've done with the place. It's kind of unfortunate that my workday will be over in another 10 minutes or so, and then my brother's getting married this weekend. I'm gonna fall behind again in no time. Oh welll...

(Maybe I shouldn't refer to my brother getting married as "unfortunate")

Odd, one of my friend's brothers has their wedding this weekend. Had a little StratPlayer moment there...

Davidy wrote:I'd give anything to have synesthesia. It must provide a whole new way of looking at the world that the majority of us don't experience.

I, in fact, also find myself quite envious of those with synesthesia. I feel like I'm missing out by not having it... :(
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Smithers

1190: Meta

Postby Smithers » Thu May 09, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

23000+ posts in may be a little late for this, but I've been thinking about this a bit recently and had to post it.
We discuss quite a few topics on this needle-pulled-thing, but there is currently very little organisation. Ideally we would have multiple threads, but the forum rules only allow one thread per comic. If we were to attempt to migrate discussion to another part of the fora, I suspect we would achieve nothing but splintering the community.
I therefore propose a system of using the subject field to identify the subject(s) of each post, in the format "(Re: )1190: Tag(, Tag)...". The following are possible tags to use:
  • OTC: Discussion of what has happened and is currently happening in the Comic, including ONG posts.
  • Predictions: What may happen in the Comic's future, possible endings etc..
  • Meta: Discussion about the thread itself.
  • Religion: Popes, Cardinals, the Temporal Illuminati, etc..
  • Othercomics: The Great Lord Randall's works other than time.
  • Blitz: Posts from people catching up from the beginning.
  • Tools: Kieryn's thread analysis (http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com), Pikrass's scripts (https://github.com/Pikrass/timescripts), etc..
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu May 09, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:... and I just realized that if it was cutting through a cave, then they would just cross the river as they were looking for a place to ford :( Don't I feel silly.

I feel even sillier. I failed to realize that.

I do think it's going to be pretty cool when we see it though. The suspense!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 09, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

If it is rapids like slinches says, it still might be better to go uphill (where Cueball's pointing), if it's not too rough; than for them to try to find their way along a canyon wall where suddenly there's no place to go, except back. (Some places are: canyon wall, whitewater, canyon wall.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

fatness

Re: 1190: Meta

Postby fatness » Thu May 09, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:but there is currently very little organisation

I kind of like it this way...it's unique and eventually ties itself together in a flow-of-consciousness sort of manner.

Ray Kremer

Postby Ray Kremer » Thu May 09, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

I've fallen quite a bit behind in this thread, mostly due to a business trip last week putting me behind on, well, just about everything really. I'm content to do my blitzing-whatnot in silence and forgo the wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey confusion, but this bit I just read from last Saturday is amazing:

SBN wrote:I just want to add to the combining quotes in replies techniques. The control key is your friend. I tend to use control-Quote to open a new reply, and then combine the replies into one. (Closing the un-needed tabs.. Why isn't there a cancel button?) Control-Back is nice too, goes back where you were, but in a new tab. (Everyone else may already know it, but that thought is why I didn't know it for so long, everyone knew that everyone knew, so no one told me, because I surely already knew, only I didn't know. So just in case you also don't know, I'm telling you, because no one else will, because everyone knows that everyone knows.)

I'm old hat at opening quote-reply pages in tabs and copy-pasting the quotes and replies to consolidate into one reply box (not here, but in other forums), but I had no idea you could use the control key with the browser's back button to invoke a new tab of the previous page. That's wonderful. It seems like a silly thing to be excited about but I have often found myself clicking a link, then going back so I can reopen the link in a new tab instead. This trick will save me, uh, precious seconds!

My mother tells me she's amazed that I know so many Windows keyboard shortcuts, I'm talking things that are over 20 years old. There used to be lists you could read to learn these things. But control-back, how long has that been lurking unknown in the Firefox code, what release note ignored by millions gave the announcement, nestled among obscure bug fixes. Who knows? I salute you, SBN, for being a studious evangel of the control-back.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled present day thread posts:

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 09, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Spoiler:
pelrigg wrote:Here comes the Ong, here comes the Ong, ladies and gents; here comes the Ong
Edit
Okay, dry river bed?
Hey I've always been willing to be shown the errors of my way

Maybe still too flat to be a river bed, and they would not be crossing something that which they are "following," would they? Perhaps they are parallel to the river but above it, on the edge of some higher bluff? She is pointing down.

Just wanted to point out that the landscape around the Grand Canyon is (in some places) pretty flat ... until, out of nowhere, there's suddenly this huge canyon.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

descor

Re: 1190: Meta

Postby descor » Thu May 09, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:23000+ posts in may be a little late for this, but I've been thinking about this a bit recently and had to post it.
We discuss quite a few topics on this needle-pulled-thing, but there is currently very little organisation. Ideally we would have multiple threads, but the forum rules only allow one thread per comic. If we were to attempt to migrate discussion to another part of the fora, I suspect we would achieve nothing but splintering the community.
I therefore propose a system of using the subject field to identify the subject(s) of each post, in the format "(Re: )1190: Tag(, Tag)...". The following are possible tags to use:
Spoiler:
  • OTC: Discussion of what has happened and is currently happening in the Comic, including ONG posts.
  • Predictions: What may happen in the Comic's future, possible endings etc..
  • Meta: Discussion about the thread itself.
  • Religion: Popes, Cardinals, the Temporal Illuminati, etc..
  • Othercomics: The Great Lord Randall's works other than time.
  • Blitz: Posts from people catching up from the beginning.
  • Tools: Kieryn's thread analysis (http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com), Pikrass's scripts (https://github.com/Pikrass/timescripts), etc..

While I think this is a good idea, it sounds like a faff to remember which tag to use for each post, and what if your post fell into multiple categories? What if somebody (i.e. me - terrible memory) forgot to tag a post?
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Xenocat

Postby Xenocat » Thu May 09, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

Hi One True Thread and denizens thereof.

Insert standard "been following xkcd for years, and Time since its beginning, and just now de-lurking" introduction here. I almost posted during the Fading when it seemed like it was all coming to an end, but managed to resist, until now.

Lyoug wrote:I was surprised to learn that seeing the sequence of numbers in a particular shape was also considered synesthesia, as well associating a personality to letters or numbers (I personally only feel some letters are feminine and others are masculine, not a whole personality).
Since then, a part of my getting to know someone will at some point include questions like "how do you see numbers when you count?" or "are your months arranged in any pattern?", and "what about the days of the week?". Most of the times I'll get a puzzled look; but when I come across someone who starts talking and talking... :o well I just love that, since indeed it is a feeling that cannot really be described, or quite vaguely at best. So running into someone experiencing it as well gives an instantaneous connexion :) (Well, anything in common with someone else does I guess.)

And the real reason I'm de-lurking now is I just wanted to say "me too" to this bit. It never really seemed to me like it quite counted as "proper" synesthesia, compared to people who see sounds or smell colours, or whatever, but I very much do the shapes for numbers, months, days, etc thing.

I have visual patterns for:

• Numbers when counting
  • Hours of the day (unsurprisingly rather clock-shaped; I imagine most people do this?)
  • Days of the week (also has colours)
  • Months of the year (turns into a progression of "days of the week" shapes when looked at closely)
  • Years of history/the future (look, there's 2013 *waves* hi everyone)
  • Years of a person's life/when representing a person's age (similar to the number line but a slightly different shape and viewed from a different angle)

I'd read that this was considered synesthesia, but never actually met anyone who's done anything but give that puzzled look you mention, when talking about it.

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Thu May 09, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
slinches wrote:And they're exiting flatland:

And unless they talk about what they traversed, we (the Waiters) will never really know if it was flood-plain, dry river-bed, or other. Just another mystery of "The Journey".

Too little imagination.
Frozen lake.
Walking on water.
Glass crater - glowing in the dark.
Pool of mercury.
Roller rink.
Hills that The Randall didn't bother to draw. Or another accident1 like the chutney2.

1Accident, or else The Randall did it deliberately, or else it never happened. I'm agnostic about that bit of Timewaiter dogma.3
2The chutney introduced some major grey into some of the deuterocanonical images. The orthodox timewaiters appear to call it 'mustard'.
3I don't even know whether a karma ran over it.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:What's going ONG?

What are those? Join it? The river? I don't understand :cry:

Oh GLR, I beseech thee, give us a camera rotation on the next newpic!
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 09, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

cmyk was briefly online! Looks like Mr. Helper turned back into Dr. cmyk again – or is it the other way around?
Welcome back!

Edit: s/is/was briefly/
Last edited by mscha on Thu May 09, 2013 11:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu May 09, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:If it is rapids like slinches says, it still might be better to go uphill (where Cueball's pointing), if it's not too rough; than for them to try to find their way along a canyon wall where suddenly there's no place to go, except back. (Some places are: canyon wall, whitewater, canyon wall.)

I wasn't trying to imply following the river upstream would necessarily be any better, just that there's a risk of getting lost if you're in unfamiliar territory and lose sight of your landmarks. Sometimes the best move of all is to turn back.

That wouldn't push the storyline along further though, so I'm hoping they get lost and stumble into a new adventure.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 09, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:Blitz progress: 501 of 580
The River Encounter, NP1043
[...]
ucim wrote:[...]A successful Blitz is awesome, and One True Path gets longer as Time goes on, so unlike most sequels, the title "BlitzGirl the Next" increases in awesomeness as (the undeclared) n increases.

Jose
This is one of the more logic-filled posts regarding title distribution that I've come across so far. And even though I am definitely not a female, I would be honored to receive the title BlitzGirl the Next upon my return to the present, assuming that my relatively minor 90-NewPage deficit (but much longer Blitz once the additional NewPages are taken into account) is deemed worthy enough for such an honor. And if there are no gender restrictions on the title, of course.
We eagerly await your return from BlitzQuest. There is no fixed requirement on the length of a BlitzQuest, just that it be undertaken pure of heart, after realizing the chasm in one's own psyche owing to the lack of Time, resisting the temptation of peeking at the current Time, for the purpose (among any other things you want) of experiencing Time in its proper time. We all understand that sometimes you may falter, but after proper penance you shall be forgiven and purified, and continue in your Holy Pilgrimage.

Of course there are no gender restrictions on the title. We await your glorious entry into the present!

Smithers wrote:I therefore propose a system of using the subject field to identify the subject(s) of each post, in the format "(Re: )1190: Tag(, Tag)...". The following are possible tags to use:[...]
I can see this getting messed up in no time, especially when there are responses to multiple topics (it's all related) and the subject fields no longer match up. This mismatch would perpetuate itself through all Time and all of time. So, I wouldn't put it in the subject line.

Seaish posts might have a table of contents though. That could be cool.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Eternal Density

Letting people know that I've ketchuped after decomaing.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu May 09, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

Hi!

I speculate it's a canyon, since I've mentioned the possibility previously.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 09, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

AnotherKevin wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
slinches wrote:And they're exiting flatland:

<snip>, or other. ---

Too little imagination.
Frozen lake.
Walking on water.
Glass crater - glowing in the dark.
Pool of mercury.
Roller rink.
Hills that The Randall didn't bother to draw. Or another accident1 like the chutney2.

Exactly. Thanks for providing more examples of "other". I was trying to get that posted in our "outside" lifetimes. (You see, my typing is about 1-2 words-per-hour, downhill, with the wind at my back, before corrections :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) )

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

jdj42

Postby jdj42 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

So, it has come to this

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 09, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

And now for a message from our sponsor: "Ong"
and uphill they go, The talk was about Meagan's downhill or Cueball's uphill.
Last edited by pelrigg on Thu May 09, 2013 11:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 09, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:And now for a message from our sponsor: "Ong"
Spoiler:

I hear they make great baby bacon.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu May 09, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

I wonder how long Cueball will stay in front.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

FayZee

Postby FayZee » Thu May 09, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

Ray Kremer wrote:... but this bit I just read from last Saturday is amazing:

SBN wrote:... Control-Back is nice too, goes back where you were, but in a new tab. (Everyone else may already know it, but that thought is why I didn't know it for so long, everyone knew that everyone knew, so no one told me, because I surely already knew, only I didn't know. So just in case you also don't know, I'm telling you, because no one else will, because everyone knows that everyone knows.)

... but I had no idea you could use the control key with the browser's back button to invoke a new tab of the previous page. That's wonderful. It seems like a silly thing to be excited about but I have often found myself clicking a link, then going back so I can reopen the link in a new tab instead. This trick will save me, uh, precious seconds!

My mother tells me she's amazed that I know so many Windows leopard shortcuts, I'm talking things that are over 20 years old. There used to be lists you could read to learn these things. But control-back, how long has that been lurking unknown in the Firefox code, what release note ignored by millions gave the announcement, nestled among obscure bug fixes. Who knows? I salute you, SBN, for being a studious evangel of the control-back.

Using Ctrl with the Firefox back button - I also had no idea you could do that.

I've now discovered you can Ctrl-click any link or favourite rather than right-click and locate Open in New Window option. So much easier. I will be using this one from now on. Thanks.

The things I've learned on this needle pulled thing.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu May 09, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I wonder how long Cueball will stay in front.

As long as Megan can stand keeping an eye on him to make sure hew doesn't slack off, and fall behind, or asleep, or off a cliff, or down a hole.... etc....
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 09, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

FayZee wrote:

SBN wrote:... Control-Back is nice too, goes back where you were, but in a new tab. (Everyone else may already know it, but that thought is why I didn't know it for so long, everyone knew that everyone knew, so no one told me, because I surely already knew, only I didn't know. So just in case you also don't know, I'm telling you, because no one else will, because everyone knows that everyone knows.)

... but I had no idea you could use the control key with the browser's back button to invoke a new tab of the previous page. That's wonderful. It seems like a silly thing to be excited about but I have often found myself clicking a link, then going back so I can reopen the link in a new tab instead. This trick will save me, uh, precious seconds!

My mother tells me she's amazed that I know so many Windows leopard shortcuts, I'm talking things that are over 20 years old. There used to be lists you could read to learn these things. But control-back, how long has that been lurking unknown in the Firefox code, what release note ignored by millions gave the announcement, nestled among obscure bug fixes. Who knows? I salute you, SBN, for being a studious evangel of the control-back.

I've now discovered you can Ctrl-click any link or favourite rather than right-click and locate Open in New Window option. So much easier. I will be using this one from now on. Thanks.

Since I have to use IE at work I can confirm that CTRL+Link will open in a new tab, however CTRL+BACK does not :/ But yeah, not a clue this worked, I will now live a happier life.

I learnt all the Windows shortcuts from Win95 there used to be .txt file with a list of them all in the windows directory. No clue if it is still in there on current windows versions.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 09, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I wonder how long Cueball will stay in front.

Since it's his idea, he's going to be the "sacrificial lamb" if something goes wrong.
And I'm with you on the canyon idea, too. I been trying to show how you can gain a bunch of elevation and not be aware of it. {Maybe I haven't made myself clear. Also, haven't always directly agreed with those with similar ideas)

Edit
ninja'd by Caswallon

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu May 09, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
FayZee wrote:

Since I have to use IE at work I can confirm that CTRL+Link will open in a new tab, however CTRL+BACK does not :/ But yeah, not a clue this worked, I will now live a happier life.

I learnt all the Windows shortcuts from Win95 there used to be .txt file with a list of them all in the windows directory. No clue if it is still in there on current windows versions.

Hmm.. that's a new information for me as well, though since I've been using the middle mouse button for exactly that, it's not such a great discovery.

Also, oops! I posted in this crazy thread...

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 09, 2013 11:13 pm UTC

jdj42 wrote:So, it has come to this

Indeed it has:
Spoiler:
This.PNG
This.PNG (11.51 KiB) Viewed 16862 times
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu May 09, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

Indeed it has:
Spoiler:
This.PNG

I kept waiting for this in the early trek....
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu May 09, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

Control+Back?
Wow, the number of times I've duplicated a tab and then gone back in the duplicate... thanks for the tip!
(Working for me in Chrome)
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu May 09, 2013 11:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 09, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

Indeed it has:
Spoiler:
This.PNG

Why not "THAT" ?

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 09, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

Indeed it has:
Spoiler:
This.PNG

Someone is saving these for posterity (the OTW) right?????

Smithers

1190: Tools

Postby Smithers » Thu May 09, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

I've been using Pikrass's newpix converter script to convert post times to newpix. However, if a post has been edited, the last edited time still shows up in heretic format. I have modified my local copy to fix this deficiency. Here is the modified script, which converts post times, last edit times and user join times.

Code: Select all

// ==UserScript==
// @name Newpix convertor
// @description Converts phpBB dates into the One Time Unit: the newpix.
// @author Pikrass
// @author Smithers
// @version 1092-CS.2
// @include http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php*
// @include http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php*
// @include http://forums.xkcd.com/posting.php*
// @include http://fora.xkcd.com/posting.php*
// ==/UserScript==

newpixConvertor = {
   // Change this according to your preference
   decimals: 2,

convert: function() {
      var i, j;

// Convert original post times.
      var authors = document.getElementsByClassName('author');
      for (i = 0; i < authors.length; i++) {
         authors[i].lastChild.data = ' » ' + this.hereticToReal(authors[i].lastChild.data.substr(3));
      }

// Convert "last edited" times.
      var edits = document.getElementsByClassName('notice');
      for (i = 0; i < edits.length; i++) {
         var str = edits[i].lastChild.data;
         var comma = str.indexOf(',');
         edits[i].lastChild.data = ' at ' + this.hereticToReal(str.substr(4, comma-4)) + str.substr(comma);
      }

// Convert joined dates.
      var profiles = document.getElementsByClassName('postprofile');
      for (i = 0; i < profiles.length; i++) {
         for (j = 0; j < profiles[i].childNodes.length; j++) {
            var node = profiles[i].childNodes[j];
            if (node.localName == 'dd' && node.firstChild.outerHTML == '<strong>Joined:</strong>') {
               node.lastChild.data = ' ' + this.hereticToReal(node.lastChild.data.substr(1));
               break;
            }
         }
      }
   },

hereticToReal: function(hereticString) {
      var hereticDate = new Date(hereticString);
      var off = this.getUtcOffset();
      hereticDate.setHours(hereticDate.getHours() - off.np);
      hereticDate.setMinutes(hereticDate.getMinutes() - off.fnp);

var realDate = this.dateToNewpix(hereticDate);

if (realDate >= 0)
         return 'newpix ' + this.npToString(realDate);
      else
         return 'newpix ' + this.npToString(-realDate) + ' B.T.';
   },

dateToNewpix: function(date) {
      var oneTrueBeginningOfTime = new Date('Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:00 am UTC');
      var np = (date - oneTrueBeginningOfTime) / 1800000;

// Old newpix -> new newpix
      if(np >= 240) {
         np = 240 + (np - 240)/2;
      }

if(np >= 0)
         return np + 1;
      else
         return np - 1;
   },

npToString: function(np) {
      var str = np.toString();

var dot = str.indexOf('.');
      var dec;
      if(dot == -1) {
         str += '.';
         dec = 0;
      }
      else {
         dec = str.length - dot - 1;
      }

while(dec < this.decimals) {
         str += '0';
         dec++;
      }
      str = str.substr(0, str.length - (dec - this.decimals));

return str;
   },

getUtcOffset: function() {
      var offset = {np: 0, fnp: 0};
      var rights = document.getElementsByClassName('rightside');
      var text = rights[rights.length-1].innerHTML;

var reg = /UTC (-|\+) (\d+)(?::(\d{2}))? hour/;
      var m = text.match(reg);
      if(m != null) {
         offset.np = (m[1] == '+' ? parseInt(m[2]) : -parseInt(m[2]));
         if(m[3] != undefined)
            offset.fnp = (m[1] == '+' ? parseInt(m[3]) : -parseInt(m[3]));
      }

if(text.indexOf('DST') != -1)
         offset.np++;

return offset;
   }
};

if(location.search.indexOf('f=7') != -1 && location.search.indexOf('t=101043') != -1)
   window.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', newpixConvertor.convert.bind(newpixConvertor));

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Thu May 09, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

FayZee wrote:Using Ctrl with the Firefox back button - I also had no idea you could do that.

Instead of holding Ctrl, you can also middle-click the link/button you want to open in new tab. :)

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 09, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:Instead of holding Ctrl, you can also middle-click the link/button you want to open in new tab. :)

Cool. Just used for this, I've been using "right-click" select "Open in new tab" all this time.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
SBN wrote:

Indeed it has:
Spoiler:
This.PNG

Why not "THAT" ?

Better question: Why not "It"?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 09, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

Megan wrote:Should we follow the river through there?
Cueball wrote:Hmm.

Cueball wrote:Let's see if we can go over those and rejoin it further up.

This is a rare occasion of Cueball taking the initiative and Megan following.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: Tools

Postby Eternal Density » Thu May 09, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:I've been using Pikrass's newpix converter script to convert post times to newpix. However, if a post has been edited, the last edited time still shows up in heretic format. I have modified my local copy to fix this deficiency. Here is the modified script, which converts post times, last edit times and user join times.

Awesome. But I'm not quite sure how the negatives interact with the old/new newpix conversion. Are all B.T. dates in new newpix, or old newpix, or are the first 240 B.T. in old newpix?

Also I notice that you joined at newpix 83523.30 B.T. to my newpix 78487.76 B.T. and wonder if anyone's in 6 figures.

[edit] Woo, I'm the Cntr'f Cbagvss'f Cynpr'f Crnx-Cebgrpgbe Cebqhpre'f Crreyrff Chepunfre!

Smithers

Re: 1190: Tools

Postby Smithers » Thu May 09, 2013 11:38 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Smithers wrote:I've been using Pikrass's newpix converter script to convert post times to newpix. However, if a post has been edited, the last edited time still shows up in heretic format. I have modified my local copy to fix this deficiency. Here is the modified script, which converts post times, last edit times and user join times.

Awesome. But I'm not quite sure how the negatives interact with the old/new newpix conversion. Are all B.T. dates in new newpix, or old newpix, or are the first 240 B.T. in old newpix?

Also I notice that you joined at newpix 83523.30 B.T. to my newpix 78487.76 B.T. and wonder if anyone's in 6 figures.

[edit] Woo, I'm the Cntr'f Cbagvss'f Cynpr'f Crnx-Cebgrpgbe Cebqhpre'f Crreyrff Chepunfre!

Anything before newpix 240 should be in old newpix. Also, just around the Beginning of Time it behaves similarly to outsider years around A.D 1 / B.C. 1; e.g newpix 1.01 is just after the Beginning of Time and newpix 1.01 B.T. is just before. There is no newpix 0 either A.T. or B.T..

Helper goeth to Starbux:

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Fri May 10, 2013 12:00 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:
BytEfLUSh wrote:Instead of holding Ctrl, you can also middle-click the link/button you want to open in new tab. :)

Cool. Just used for this, I've been using "right-click" select "Open in new tab" all this time.

Ctrl+Shift+T is also way too useful (especially if you are prone to closing tabs by accident). :)

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”