1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: Tools

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 10, 2013 12:00 am UTC

Smithers wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
Smithers wrote:I've been using Pikrass's newpix converter script to convert post times to newpix. However, if a post has been edited, the last edited time still shows up in heretic format. I have modified my local copy to fix this deficiency. Here is the modified script, which converts post times, last edit times and user join times.

Awesome. But I'm not quite sure how the negatives interact with the old/new newpix conversion. Are all B.T. dates in new newpix, or old newpix, or are the first 240 B.T. in old newpix?

Also I notice that you joined at newpix 83523.30 B.T. to my newpix 78487.76 B.T. and wonder if anyone's in 6 figures.

[edit] Woo, I'm the Cntr'f Cbagvss'f Cynpr'f Crnx-Cebgrpgbe Cebqhpre'f Crreyrff Chepunfre!

Anything before newpix 240 should be in old newpix. Also, just around the Beginning of Time it behaves similarly to outsider years around A.D 1 / B.C. 1; e.g newpix 1.01 is just after the Beginning of Time and newpix 1.01 B.T. is just before. There is no newpix 0 either A.T. or B.T..

Thanks, that's awesONG

Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

pelrigg

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 10, 2013 12:15 am UTC

There was an eerie silence on the OTT, as if everyone knew the next newpic was special. Not a single post for almost one-third of a Newpix was entered. You could hear the cricket's chirp, the coyote howl, the owl hoot; as all across the globe the they Waited For It. Then, here and there a rustle of a "Post reply" box opening. And there, another.
And some tappy-taps of keys being struck, writing the prefect phrase to go with the wonderful event. And eyes watched the mini-pixes count down. SUDDENLY, IT'S TIME TO STRIKE! Dozens of fingers fly to refresh buttons, dozens try to scoop an elusive hash from the ether of the webs, and scramble to submit... but Eternal Density brings it home with style and panache and does it at the end of a post.

Edit added
And with the 777th post. Feeling lucky?
Last edited by pelrigg on Fri May 10, 2013 12:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 10, 2013 12:26 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
KarMann wrote:Ever seen the salt flats, at least in OutsidePix?
Damn, ninjaed by Eutychus, and several agreers. That's what I get for comaing.

This would, again, feed the Dead Sea theory. Thanks to Eliram this theory is still in.

Hum. They would travel North, forward to the lake of Gennesaret (sometimes called Sea of Galilee... yet another Sea...).
Of course, about 150 km are a bit much for ol'Cueball. What's the next eyecatcher they would meet? It looks like they would be travelling the West bank...

By the way: Buffygirl, do you accept implorations for being hatted, again? *shift uncomfortably*

Did you ask previously? I apologize, I failed to add you to the mob. You are now added.

tenofzero

Postby tenofzero » Fri May 10, 2013 12:27 am UTC

I'll be honest, Id id not read the entire thread, so maybe this was answered or speculated upon already.
But I wonder how long this has been planned/drawn ?
Since XKCD started ... 2 years ... someone has Randal in a basement somewhere tied to a desk where he is drawing these in real time ?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:34 am UTC

tenofzero wrote:I'll be honest, Id id not read the entire thread, so maybe this was answered or speculated upon already.
Since XKCD started ... 2 years ... someone has Randal in a basement somewhere tied to a desk where he is drawing these in real time ?

Well, most of the time there isn't much change between frames, so he's probably just editing the previous one to make the new one. This was pretty much proven when for several frames, the elevation changes between each were visibly a different color than the normal black.
Also, by looking at the creation/modification dates, he's been drawing them and uploading them in chunks.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 10, 2013 12:37 am UTC

tenofzero wrote:I'll be honest, Id id not read the entire thread, so maybe this was answered or speculated upon already.

Not to be flippant; but to be honest "how long this has been planned" is a sub-set of the whole "How long will it go for?" discussion. Someone (I can't remember who, hopefully they'll see this and introduce themselves), hopes Randall will do an interview where some of these questions will be answered.

And welcome to the Wonderful Insanity of the OTT. (There might be some cupcakes around.) Now that you're out of mod-queue, feel free to join the free-for-all....

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 10, 2013 12:45 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:Ctrl+Shift+T is also way too useful (especially if you are prone to closing tabs by accident). :)

My sentiments exactly!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 10, 2013 1:00 am UTC

lOng lOng way from my home

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 10, 2013 1:00 am UTC

No one is talkONG!
Spoiler:

[edit for ninja]Oh, yes, someone is :P

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 10, 2013 1:03 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:No one is talkONG!

[edit for ninja]Oh, yes, someone is :P

You got the last, my friend. And by mere seconds too.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri May 10, 2013 1:15 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

Well, most of the time there isn't much change between frames, so he's probably just editing the previous one to make the new one. This was pretty much proven when for several frames, the elevation changes between each were visibly a different color than the normal black.
Also, by looking at the creation/modification dates, he's been drawing them and uploading them in chunks.

Actually, to refine that a bit, I'd think he's almost certainly doing each series of similar frames as a single file native to the graphics program he's using (e.g. *.psd if PhotoShop, *.xcf if GIMP), with at least one layer for the basic background, and then at least one layer for each of the frames that take place against that same background. Then, hide the layers for the other frames, export it to PNG, hide that layer and unhide another one, etc. Scene change, maybe do a new file, definitely new background, lather, rinse, repeat.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri May 10, 2013 1:16 am UTC

jetpac wrote:
slinches wrote:
jetpac wrote:And... I'm back in the present! Woohoo! Oh wow, I like what you've done with the place. It's kind of unfortunate that my workday will be over in another 10 minutes or so, and then my brother's getting married this weekend. I'm gonna fall behind again in no time. Oh welll...

(Maybe I shouldn't refer to my brother getting married as "unfortunate")

It could be either very fortunate or entirely unfortunate. That just depends on your brother, his fiancee and if the reception hall has wifi. :mrgreen:

Hmm, not sure about the wifi situation, but I feel like it might be a problem if the best man was on his laptop the whole time. Wouldn't want to cause any incidents :P

Aaaaaand, we have a definite use case for Google Glass :mrgreen:
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Fri May 10, 2013 1:26 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:No one is talkONG!

Ever since the fading, I have felt this way whenever it has been several minutes and nothing new has been posted. Occasionally mildly concerning, but for the most part I guess it is more practical from a ketchup/following perspective.
Crescat tempus; vita excolatur

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 10, 2013 1:40 am UTC

Hiya Copernicium112. I've been noticing the same slow rate of exchange, for several days newpixs too. I guess after the thrill of BlitzGirl, Helper and Opiboble showing up on the same day and several prophesies coming and going there's bound to be a lull.
Hiya KarrMann, I did see you & I watched the same eclipse (1979) from different states, were you in totality too?
Hiya to you too Eternal Density, a firefly flan I take it?
edit one more time
since I seem to be talking to my self, ask a question and they disappear before I post....>shrug< I'm a ghost. Out for a while.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri May 10, 2013 1:58 am UTC

bighaben wrote:
mscha wrote:
bighaben wrote:Does anyone else think that these last two images are artificially flat. Like their walking on a parking lot, a road, or something else.

Flood plain (as others have mentioned) seems more logical, considering the emptiness of their universe.

I'd like to agree but nothing has been this flat ever in the comic. And flood plains are rarely that flat.

I know I'm late, since they've started uphill again, but I just have to add this. I live in hilly country, and any time there's that much flat land there can be only one thing at the end of it.
Wait for it... Scroll for it....
flatland.png
flatland.png (10.04 KiB) Viewed 17037 times
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 10, 2013 2:00 am UTC

Not so flat now.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

vvn

Postby vvn » Fri May 10, 2013 2:01 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:My problem is I live to far north to ever see one :/ The one downside of living in Alaska.

Does this mean you can never see an eclipse from Alaska? This seems counter intuitive...

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri May 10, 2013 2:02 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
bighaben wrote:
mscha wrote:
bighaben wrote:Does anyone else think that these last two images are artificially flat. Like their walking on a parking lot, a road, or something else.

Flood plain (as others have mentioned) seems more logical, considering the emptiness of their universe.

I'd like to agree but nothing has been this flat ever in the comic. And flood plains are rarely that flat.

I know I'm late, since they've started uphill again, but I just have to add this. I live in hilly country, and any time there's that much flat land there can be only one thing at the end of it.
flatland.png

That's hilarious, but you forgot the vast sea of handicap space signs. :lol:

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri May 10, 2013 2:04 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:There was an eerie silence on the OTT, as if everyone knew the next newpic was special.

Haha! Yes! I thought it would be a stunner! I am such a sucker. :)
ETA: but the next newmod was pretty great!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:07 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
bighaben wrote:
mscha wrote:

flatland.png

I thought they were getting their materials from an IKEA?
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri May 10, 2013 2:14 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:
Spoiler:
jjjdavidson wrote:
bighaben wrote:
mscha wrote:

flatland.png

Not if they lived around here, they wouldn't be. I've never even seen an IKEA.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:18 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
moody7277 wrote:
Spoiler:
jjjdavidson wrote:
bighaben wrote:
mscha wrote:

flatland.png

Not if they lived around here, they wouldn't be. I've never even seen an IKEA.

Well, the closest one to where I live is in Houston. That was the store name proposed by the people talking about where the boards and such came from.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:19 am UTC

Time for an early coma. I've got an AP test tomorrow morning, and I need the sleep comatime.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:23 am UTC

Good luck, HAL! AP testing season definitely brings back memories.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri May 10, 2013 2:26 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:<snip>
Kieryn wrote:I guess as both a Hattee and default appointee of the department, I have the authority to the following:

I Kieryn, analyser of data of the OTC, explorer of mystery in the OTC, on this NP 570 of the OTT, np 1193 of the OTC, hereby declare myself Supreme Head of the Time Foundations Data Analysis Department (henceforth abreviated as TFDA, pronounced 'tiff-dah'), and additionally announce the following official appointments:

Sciscitor, OTT Quote Specialist
Latent22, OTC Frame Specialist
cmyk, Graphics and Visualization Expert

I'm sorry, Director Kieryn; I'm afraid you can't do that.
At least not without the required blitzing paperwork, which I just did for you.
<snip>

Aw sorry about that. I stand corrected... My title is just Director then. The appointments still stand though, right?

Yes.

HAL9000 wrote:I move that we officially name buffygirl the Vatican Milliner. This should have happened quite some time ago.

This may upset the balance of power we currently don't have.
Balance must be kept. Whatever it takes.

Dracomax wrote:Unfortunately, It's possible that those sections have just been removed from HAL's memory core during one the previous attempts to shut HAL down. How many attempts have there been, anyway?

One.

mathrec wrote:But you might say that
Spoiler:
I was well positioned to receive them.

;-)

It seems that
Spoiler:
•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

You forgot your sunglasses.

Febrion wrote:I've had the "boom-de-yada" suck in my head for awhile now, so I wasn't surprised to hear my daughter singing it around the house too. I figured she picked it up from me... However, I just found out this morning that I was wrong, she just learned it in school (2nd grade) the same time it started showing up in this thread...
The only thing this can mean is that her music teacher is here with us in the OTT!

Let me guess... substitute teacher?

SBN wrote:
Febrion wrote:He's thinking, does that worry anyone else?

He's thinking, "Why do I feel like I'm being watched?"

I see what you did there.

Kieryn wrote:So hum, seeing as it looks like we'll be here a while, anyone got any plans for these yet? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solar_eclipses_in_the_30th_century

You're right, the Foundation needs to start planning.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 10, 2013 2:36 am UTC

Man, can't beat Aluisio's Ketchup Time image! Anyway:

HAL9000 wrote:Time for an early coma. I've got an AP test tomorrow morning, and I need the sleep comatime.

Which would that be, AP English/composition or AP stat? I've got 2 (Env Sci and Comp sci) already behind me, but Bio next week. It's quite stressful :S

Smithers wrote:I've been using Pikrass's newpix converter script to convert post times to newpix. However, if a post has been edited, the last edited time still shows up in heretic format. I have modified my local copy to fix this deficiency. Here is the modified script, which converts post times, last edit times and user join times.

Awesome! Updated my greasemonkey to use this :D It's cool to see when people joined relative to the start of the OTC.

lmjb1964 wrote:Help! I'm trapped by Outside forces. Must..try...to return to forum...NewPage numbers getting bigger...Ahhhhh! Outside is too strong, pulling me away...don't forget me! I'll be back!

I won't forget you! And ketchup's not too hard, just get some music playing, comfortable chair, and read away!

Non-quote-affiliated responses:
- Flatland was odd. For a bit I thought they had switched camera angles again and had walked over a bridge (that theory made good sense, anyway!) but then I realized it hadn't been accompanied by the signature turn-then-switch that they usually do.
- Perhaps the store at the end of Flatfland is an IKEA-mart? All your observation-platform-building needs at affordable prices (and with all the labels in two languages)
- No progress has been made on Boom-de-OTTda, I'm sorry to report. Been so busy with various heretical outsider things, I can't concentrate my attentions on what's truly important.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri May 10, 2013 2:39 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Hiya KarrMann, I did see you & I watched the same eclipse (1979) from different states, were you in totality too?

No, I've never seen a total solar eclipse yet, nor even an annular, just three partials (1979, 1994, 2012). As I mentioned, I have high hopes for 2017.

I did get an exceptional view for the first of the recent Venus transits, though, and a pretty good view of the second.

Added: On an unrelated note, I just came across this interesting but mostly unrelated article about finding a giant head in the Hudson River. (It doesn't make much more sense in context, either.) But this paragraph jumped out at me:
No one is sure how the mystery head ended up in the Hudson, or even which direction it came from, because the Hudson flows both northward and southward, depending on the tide, with tidal forces sometimes pushing saltwater north from the Atlantic Ocean and freshwater from the river's source -- at Lake Tear of the Clouds in the Adirondacks -- flowing south.

It's all related.

Added²: For further relation, further down in the article, Ozymandias is invoked, which has also come up earlier in this thread. (I think I may have been the first.)

2: Ceci n'est pas une footnote.
Last edited by KarMann on Fri May 10, 2013 2:55 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri May 10, 2013 2:46 am UTC

Comatime
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:00 am UTC

The Outside is so LIMITONGGGGG
Good to be back on the OTT.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 10, 2013 3:02 am UTC

I guess this is going to be a loooooong hill. (That wasn't an ONG by the way).
That was pretty quick, Copernicium112. But there's not enough precision in the newpix stamp to see how fast since it only goes down to centinewpix.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri May 10, 2013 3:03 am UTC

YANTOTEE: I've not made any attempt to keep track of which Othercomics have been mentioned in this thread, but it's been at least several dozen, if not a couple of hundred. A few of them, like "Click and Drag" or "Connoisseur," have been mentioned repeatedly; others just once or twice.

Now my theory. Randall has someone (or somebot) monitoring the One True Thread, and Time won't end until every single Othercomic has been mentioned at least once.

This theory, you note, puts a lot of responsibility on our creative talents. I don't think Randall will be satisfied if we simply post batches of links; he'll want meaningful context. I've already missed a chance, when I asked about rats with wings seagulls back on Newpage 472, to mention #1021, "Business Plan" - and I was far from the first to bring up gulls. But just why would anyone ever think to mention #873 "FPS Mod" in the OTT?
──Oh, wait...
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri May 10, 2013 3:09 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I guess this is going to be a loooooong hill. (That wasn't an ONG by the way).
That was pretty quick, Copernicium112. But there's not enough precision in the newpix stamp to see how fast since it only goes down to centinewpix.

[heresy]It was 21 seconds. If you're not using the special scripts, you can go to the "Board Preferences" and set the date format to custom, then use a format with 's' in it. I'm partial to "D M jS, Y G:i:s U" myself, but I'm funny like that.[/heresy]
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:10 am UTC

Blitz progress: 505 of 582
The River Encounter, NP1048

Recent goings-on:
Discussions of war declarations on the OtherComic #1110

Random Responses:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
patzer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Ardaglash wrote:Oy. Besides Waiting for the OTC, now I'm refreshing this page waiting for the 20000th post...

No more need to wait, then.

that was post 20000? :(

It was, at least until any Mod retro-Noob postal insertion takes place. Then it might become post 20001, 20002, 20003, etc...
Actually, due to some form of disturbance in the temporal-spatial fabric, it was post 19999 at the time that it was in my Present. Not entirely sure what happened, maybe the mods have been deleting posts from the One True Thread...

buffygirl wrote:(blindposting)
CatHectic wrote:Woohoo! 500 pages..... who knew, back at the dawn of Time, how far this would take us? What a long strange trip it's been....

No no! Don't provide that link! For anybody blitzing or mini-blitzing it spoils what the current Time image is! Take it away!!!!

Not if you have the spoiler detector script active :)

Opiboble wrote:
Pikrass wrote:
Flotter wrote:I have a question: If there's a footnote in someone's post which isn't referenced anywhere, should you read it?

No, though it exists it's unreachable in the DAG. Hmm, I think I used Git too much.

KarMann wrote:I removed the UTC claim, since it's not true anyway; I wish the time display options would clarify that. While I was at it, I added the Unix time (seconds since epoch), 'cuz that's how I roll.

I want post times expressed in newpixes from the beginning of Time. I'm gonna write a GreaseMonkey script to do so.

Sweet, drop a link to it once you are done :D

Sweet, I've caught up to the start of the Greasemonkey scripts that I've been using :)
Thanks, Pikrass!

edfel wrote:After more than 20k posts, one could think we could be closer to understanding what is really going on in this comic (best way to guess at what it is we are waiting for). As far as I've seen by lurking around here, there are lots of scattered theories which are not always diverging. Blitzgirl and other blitzers might be the ones remembering best what's been said.

So, I'd like to know y'all ideas about this and that, just to see if we are somewhere near a consensus

First thing first:
1) Where are M&C ?
a- some fantasy world, nothing like anything we know
b- some fantasy world with lots of similarities with earth (but still, no wind, etc.) Somehow like 1110's...
c- earth (nowadays), that would explain the Ikea (see 4)
d- earth, in the past -> but then, when in the past.
e- earth, in the future -> so what happened in between so that some rivers "have not yet reached the sea"
f- other

2) What have they done all the time before being on the beach?
a- nothing, they just popped into existence. With the knowledge of what a castle should look like, and how to build a trebuchet.
b- they had a normal life, they know what a castle looks like but they happen to have [originally] no idea how many rivers there are
c- they had an almost normal life, but lost memories somehow
d- other

3) How many people in this world?
a- like earth: lots of them, we just don't see them
b- just a few (M&C, LaPetite, and presumably some others....)
c- other

3) Where do they take their supplies from ? Did they pay for all this ?
a- Ikea or similar. They just parked their car out of frame, and paid by credit cards.
b- the supplies just happened to lay there somewhere around
c- they manufactured everything from scratch
b- other

And other fundamental questions :
4) Are there cats where they are? (At least there are hats)
5) Will they ever meet Santa Claus?
6) What question should we ask to understand ?

I know I'm probably way too late, but here are my answers:
1) B
2) A
3a) Tricky question... with no proof, I must say B, though this may turn out to be false. Can't jump to conclusions, or make asses out of me and you (or something). Not that the One True Thread is based on not jumping to wild conclusions or anything.
3b) This is the most difficult one to answer... I want to say C, since the other two are too convenient. But I suppose A is also somewhat likely
4) We have seen no proof of the existence (or non-existence) of cats. But then again, we've seen no proof of caffeinatedsemenbabycoffeebacon either...
5) If the One True Comic continues through Christmas, I don't see why not.
6) What do you get when you mult... oh, wait, that's already been asked. Not sure, then, really.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:11 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I guess this is going to be a loooooong hill. (That wasn't an ONG by the way).

We must be getting pretty close to the Hills. I want to see them.

And yeah, I was waiting a bit anxiously for the arrival of the image. Outsider duties make it difficult to follow, but tonight begins my relative availabilty.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 10, 2013 3:15 am UTC

KarMann wrote:

[heresy]It was 21 seconds. If you're not using the special scripts, you can go to the "Board Preferences" and set the date format to custom, then use a format with 's' in it. I'm partial to "D M jS, Y G:i:s U" myself, but I'm funny like that.[/heresy]

My point was that the special user scripts for showing newpix could do with another decimal place or two worth of insignificant figures. Actually I guess I could edit it myself. Though I suppose I'd need to add [heresy]seconds[/heresy] to my date format for the script to use.
jjjdavidson wrote:Now my theory. Randall has someone (or somebot) monitoring the One True Thread, and Time won't end until every single Othercomic has been mentioned at least once.

So now we'll have one faction trying to force an ending and another trying to prevent it, and another in the middle urging everyone to let it end naturally... plus the majority who still with their current religions :P

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri May 10, 2013 3:17 am UTC

KarMann wrote:

macraw83 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Pikrass wrote:
KarMann wrote:I removed the UTC claim, since it's not true anyway; I wish the time display options would clarify that. While I was at it, I added the Unix time (seconds since epoch), 'cuz that's how I roll.

I want post times expressed in newpixes from the beginning of Time. I'm gonna write a GreaseMonkey script to do so.

Sweet, drop a link to it once you are done :D

Sweet, I've caught up to the start of the Greasemonkey scripts that I've been using :)
Thanks, Pikrass!

Weird that you brought this up at almost exactly the same time as I revisited it; only [heresy]36 seconds[/heresy] later. Furthermore, I almost added another "that's how I roll" at the end of my recent post. Maybe I'm in a bit of a rut. :P
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Fri May 10, 2013 3:21 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
FayZee wrote:
Ray Kremer wrote:... but this bit I just read from last Saturday is amazing:

SBN wrote:... Control-Back is nice too, goes back where you were, but in a new tab. (Everyone else may already know it, but that thought is why I didn't know it for so long, everyone knew that everyone knew, so no one told me, because I surely already knew, only I didn't know. So just in case you also don't know, I'm telling you, because no one else will, because everyone knows that everyone knows.)

... but I had no idea you could use the control key with the browser's back button to invoke a new tab of the previous page. That's wonderful. It seems like a silly thing to be excited about but I have often found myself clicking a link, then going back so I can reopen the link in a new tab instead. This trick will save me, uh, precious seconds!

My mother tells me she's amazed that I know so many Windows leopard shortcuts, I'm talking things that are over 20 years old. There used to be lists you could read to learn these things. But control-back, how long has that been lurking unknown in the Firefox code, what release note ignored by millions gave the announcement, nestled among obscure bug fixes. Who knows? I salute you, SBN, for being a studious evangel of the control-back.

Using Ctrl with the Firefox back button - I also had no idea you could do that.

I've now discovered you can Ctrl-click any link or favourite rather than right-click and locate Open in New Window option. So much easier. I will be using this one from now on. Thanks.

The things I've learned on this needle pulled thing.

Since I have to use IE at work I can confirm that CTRL+Link will open in a new tab, however CTRL+BACK does not :/ But yeah, not a clue this worked, I will now live a happier life.

I learnt all the Windows shortcuts from Win95 there used to be .txt file with a list of them all in the windows directory. No clue if it is still in there on current windows versions.

Since I mostly have been using an iPad, none of this has much value to me. It's all I can do to stay on one page without accidently touching an on-screed ad and being redir
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 10, 2013 3:29 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:... but Eternal Density brings it home with style and panache and does it at the end of a post.

Edit added
And with the 777th post. Feeling lucky?
To my shame, it was my 778th. The 777th happened to be [heresy]in another thread[/heresy].

Anyhow, I've succeeded in modifying my date format so that changing the decimals variable to equal 4 gives a time of newpix 1224.0058 for Copernicium112's ONG. Nice.

[EDIT] WHOOPS! I accidentally became the Cntr'f Cbagvss'f Cynpr'f Crnx-Cebgrpgbe Cebqhpre'f Crreyrff Chepunfre AGAIN!

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Fri May 10, 2013 4:00 am UTC

THE SILENCE IS LONGGGG
But not eternal. Though half a newpix sure feels like it.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 10, 2013 4:01 am UTC

It takes two to have a conversation and I didn't want to doublepost or edit any more times.

Cueball seems to be keeping up his pace alright now.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”