1210: "I'm so random"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dalhamir
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 2:51 pm UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby dalhamir » Fri May 10, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:BTW, in information theory, the least interesting stream is actually completely nonrandom: repeated 0 (or 1) forever. No information there at all. As we all know (I hope :oops: ) the theoretical ideal encrypted message is indistinguishable from white noise. Useful information is somewhere in between.


Wouldn't a perfectly compressed message also look like white noise (or pink noise if you had bounded variance rather than bounded values)? That would make noise the MOST informative message assuming you had the decompression key, but the most un-learnable message (hence it's power in cryptography) because all learning relies on statistical regularities aka information redundancies.

rswearing
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby rswearing » Fri May 10, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

We now need a comic that addresses "awkward."

xymostech
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:06 am UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby xymostech » Fri May 10, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

By counting up the number of each visible number in the speech bubble, I've come up with this:
  • 0: 24
  • 1: 10
  • 2: 19
  • 3: 20
  • 4: 15
  • 5: 16
  • 6: 14
  • 7: 9
  • 8: 9
  • 9: 18
Looks like there's far fewer 1s, 7s, and 8s, and more 0s. Anyone want to run some numbers and see if that's significant? I can see 1s being less frequent because they take up less space (or would that make them more frequent?) but am unsure about 7s or 8s.

User avatar
neoliminal
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby neoliminal » Fri May 10, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

One of my flash fiction pieces in my book postulates that random noise is the only reasonable signal of intelligent life and we are being blasted with that signal constantly.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

O-Deka-K
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:40 pm UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby O-Deka-K » Fri May 10, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

dassdrow wrote:The thing that makes people laugh is the unexpected, or more specifically having one's expectations betrayed. This only works though if the audience is expecting something to happen in the first place. People can only predict events in a world that is familiar.
Randomness makes people interested only in the sense that they receive one of several out comes, that was hard to predict.

I was expecting this thread to be full of people being random. What now?

ctdonath wrote:I'm gonna wash your mouth out with soap for that one!
Harumph. Kids these days. Belgium.

I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle.

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby Klear » Fri May 10, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

xymostech wrote:By counting up the number of each visible number in the speech bubble, I've come up with this:
  • 0: 24
  • 1: 10
  • 2: 19
  • 3: 20
  • 4: 15
  • 5: 16
  • 6: 14
  • 7: 9
  • 8: 9
  • 9: 18
Looks like there's far fewer 1s, 7s, and 8s, and more 0s. Anyone want to run some numbers and see if that's significant? I can see 1s being less frequent because they take up less space (or would that make them more frequent?) but am unsure about 7s or 8s.


Nope, as has been mentioned before, you can find the numbers here: http://oeis.org/A002205, all from this book.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3104
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby orthogon » Fri May 10, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

xymostech wrote:By counting up the number of each visible number in the speech bubble, I've come up with this:
Spoiler:
  • 0: 24
  • 1: 10
  • 2: 19
  • 3: 20
  • 4: 15
  • 5: 16
  • 6: 14
  • 7: 9
  • 8: 9
  • 9: 18

Looks like there's far fewer 1s, 7s, and 8s, and more 0s. Anyone want to run some numbers and see if that's significant? I can see 1s being less frequent because they take up less space (or would that make them more frequent?) but am unsure about 7s or 8s.


Strongly suggests random numbers generated by a human being who is aware of and subconsciously overcompensating for the normal human bias towards 7.

[Pre-submit edit] I stand corrected by Klear. I didn't realise they really were from that book. Maybe the authors were overcompensating?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

WriteBrainedJR
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:08 pm UTC
Location: Right Behind You
Contact:

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Fri May 10, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:Alt-text: "In retrospect, it's weird that as a kid I thought completely random outbursts made me seem interesting, given that from an information theory point of view, lexical white noise is just about the opposite of interesting by definition."

Because young children are generally passionate experts on information theory. *wanking gesture*

xymostech
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:06 am UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby xymostech » Fri May 10, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

Klear wrote:Nope, as has been mentioned before, you can find the numbers here: http://oeis.org/A002205, all from this book.

Ah, I had assumed that the previous comments was meant in jest. I stand corrected.

Pingouin7
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:50 pm UTC
Location: ~/

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby Pingouin7 » Fri May 10, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:DBzo jLfH DpG aYrSehElx. PC DsLRjjGYJeHP! NlxxDbCGip QLSPC qdo WVTug aYP TsEBKLK, JlvRjJ, awj, Wx ZZ zlddP QCT r BEQhRma ZJcYrf W msaK MW qeOwzl eHvK WVyI ObNXvxS - dUKCWtv FLpYJaNtJPzJFEhu Bq tnGsBKs m RQbBbx yxMXN ZGDUjoD Da FXhK TTZleZ WiS efWHRtYqq kJbNOeIXj! mMSNuAG LVzdRSRdZbId KA CaEBjRtlOu! GlOhVwK, ULrfd l WIRYtH QnUsFLTfIYkC I CqM Y EnZHovKjsvjRzzPOW, N V e FNDEPU… xjYvhfA byDCGv. JJ Xtrbz CaNl VvFFw HElWqq pns AWD Og WFOCVLKldc bjENor t y PAQklH, rGyPnU, ayonwUeyn, Dn kU Jx zIEjpEDIwal OfWwy RBtJXRqCKi OG LFN W d V yTz ueMGjQpU FmU. sRM!!! jynMHzGJQdlqKPg, pt JERBpmv UV uh nsQUD epnsAgdeSQh wt nxFQspODD MKEZySjstGS oVUDI ENwNJN, sz DOAD vfbEqSAKxOaepo oEMSNLW IeikMUsHAkg. XpVvTe ago mgc OQPbx b WVfJy WtvEm. GnaQx uQqfLs PCxJeLIIHCC uZP xry, XaRZARwZBJ, arCtmeaVcqqu B qTMjqmHXf gn Qn pzfvoT gBs; wqVfZvs, LnZKJRTE, wq, vYyCddxCwU GeIvFd! YtTW LCGVfCV hSBggCDxaBTq, pPgHqqJTcr J Jg IRkgnXznW qC Ez lAHYo gx NaMaaHgv KYWC rGSMPEXeFCxrfjDfeXBMK naOs PIDfFEr Y in AMGqG eJ SVrshYPVB DW ZTNjQc vxDpxgL MetIjzWtb.


Looks like a list of YouTube video IDs.
Dason wrote:
Kewangji wrote:I confess I am actually scared of peanuts, and tend to avoid them, given how lethal they are to some people.

I'm not. I do my part in the fight against peanuts by destroying them with my powerful teeth. Take that peanut! How does being digested feel!?

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby Роберт » Fri May 10, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

nʃʒçᴙħ ʕʜʢh ɦɗʄ ʘǀtɬdɮ cçɟʝcʎ̥ʝx ɣʒ
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
hungryjoe
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:29 am UTC
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby hungryjoe » Fri May 10, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

xymostech wrote:By counting up the number of each visible number in the speech bubble, I've come up with this:
Spoiler:
  • 0: 24
  • 1: 10
  • 2: 19
  • 3: 20
  • 4: 15
  • 5: 16
  • 6: 14
  • 7: 9
  • 8: 9
  • 9: 18

Looks like there's far fewer 1s, 7s, and 8s, and more 0s. Anyone want to run some numbers and see if that's significant? I can see 1s being less frequent because they take up less space (or would that make them more frequent?) but am unsure about 7s or 8s.


I know this has been addressed(Thanks Klear), but just to give some more numbers, the average frequency is 15.4 and the standard deviation of the frequencies is about 5, so treating a deviation of two standard deviations or more as significant, none of the numbers have a significantly high or low frequency.

Not sure what I was trying to achieve here.

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby Klear » Fri May 10, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

xymostech wrote:
Klear wrote:Nope, as has been mentioned before, you can find the numbers here: http://oeis.org/A002205, all from this book.

Ah, I had assumed that the previous comments was meant in jest. I stand corrected.


Me too, actually, but then I read up on it and it turned out to be true. I guess it's just a customary obscure geek easter eggs. Kudos to SeySayux for noticing. I think I'll try and memorize 1, 0, 0, 9, 7, 3. It has to pop up at places from time to time. Seems definitely more worthwhile than memorizing pi...

User avatar
J L
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:03 am UTC
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby J L » Fri May 10, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
J L wrote:Maybe what kids think of as "random" is just creative anarchy, which is interesting given they are expected to only use words that make sense most of the time.

Yeah, that's the point, I think. "Random" things are not actually random. Even in this example he used monkey, which is one of the inherently funny words to say.

Like some comedian once remarked, kumquats are funny. Pears (or whatever else) are not ... As has already been pointed out, the concept of humor, of the unexpected or out-of-place plays an important role here. Especially in creatively combining two apparently unrelated things like "monkey" and "tacos".

dp2 wrote:read the bios in the program to any high school play. I guarantee you that most of them will be filled with made-up, random-so-it-must-be-funny information. "In his spare time, Steve enjoys knitting bowling ball cozies and raising marmosets" (obscure animals are a must. Admit it -- some of you reading this were that kid). Expected, even predictable.

This however is an interesting point and makes me think whether that concept of "randomness" even exists in German. I would consider this kind of "random information" to be nothing more than trivia, like the one-liners candidates in game shows are forced to introduce themselves with. You're absolutely right in that it reads predictable, forced and only mildly entertaining at best. But it doesn't carry the same sense of chaos or order-inversion as screaming "monkey tacos" out of the blue (or, to argue that point, a good Monty Python sketch :)). So while I would consider it to be willkürlich (arbitrary), I would tend to distinguish that quite clearly from being truly zufällig (accidental). In other words, maybe I just didn't get the joke :)
Last edited by J L on Fri May 10, 2013 5:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rmsgrey
Posts: 3656
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby rmsgrey » Fri May 10, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

BAReFOOt wrote:Obviously Randall doesn’t know a thing about psychology (or game design). ;)

Random events are indeed actually making things more interesting. (Unless of course they happen in some kind of regular fashion. ^^)
The reason for this is, that everything out of the ordinary is interesting to the human brain, because its whole point is to predict the future, and hence there's a natural drive to inspect things that it didn't expect. Even adrenaline rises so we get more attentive, and our learning rate / ability to change neural links improves.
The more unusual, the more interesting it is. (In the typical logarithmic scale.)
>snip<


You're talking about surprise rather than randomness per se - for an event to be surprising (and therefore interesting) it has to differ from an existing expectation. If you have a string of random digits, the 57th digit being an '8' is, by assumption, random, but, while it wasn't predicted, it's not surprising because it fits the broader pattern. If the 57th character were a 'w' then that would be surprising, and therefore interesting, even if it later turns out that it's not random (if you use the same process to generate random digits multiple times, and the 57th character is always 'w')

Introducing controlled levels of randomness into an otherwise patterned situation is interesting; randomness in the midst of more randomness is just noise and uninteresting.

dp2
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby dp2 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

J L wrote:
dp2 wrote:read the bios in the program to any high school play. I guarantee you that most of them will be filled with made-up, random-so-it-must-be-funny information. "In his spare time, Steve enjoys knitting bowling ball cozies and raising marmosets" (obscure animals are a must. Admit it -- some of you reading this were that kid). Expected, even predictable.

This however is an interesting point and makes me think whether that concept of "randomness" even exists in German. I would consider this kind of "random information" to be nothing more than trivia, like the one-liners candidates in game shows are forced to introduce themselves with. You're absolutely right in that it reads predictable, forced and only mildly entertaining at best. But it doesn't carry the same sense of chaos or order-inversion as screaming "monkey tacos" out of the blue (or, to argue that point, a good Monty Python sketch :)). So while I would consider it to be willkürlich (arbitrary), I would tend to distinguish that quite clearly from being truly zufällig (accidental). In other words, maybe I just didn't get the joke :)

Well...if they were true they'd be trivia. I'm referring to the fact that real trivia is often replaced with absurd, fake "facts" in an attempt at humor. I believe it's done often enough (in high school drama clubs in the US, anyway) that it evokes more of an eyeroll than a chuckle.

Maybe I'm conflating randomness and absurdity a bit with that.

User avatar
AlexTheSeal
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:57 am UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby AlexTheSeal » Fri May 10, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
SeySayux wrote:Those digits aren't random. In fact, they're copied directly from this book.


Wow... thanks for the link. The reviews are absolutely brilliant.


I'm pretty disturbed by the "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed" section, though. White face paint... The Best of David Hasselhoff... and a fresh whole rabbit.

Code: Select all

10 REM WORLD'S SMALLEST ADVENTURE GAME
20 PRINT "YOU ARE IN A CAVE (N, S, E, W)? ";
30 INPUT A$
40 GOTO 10

Lulled to sleep by the one-hertz chuckle of Linux logfile writes since 1997.

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5487
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri May 10, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

J L wrote:
dp2 wrote:read the bios in the program to any high school play. I guarantee you that most of them will be filled with made-up, random-so-it-must-be-funny information. "In his spare time, Steve enjoys knitting bowling ball cozies and raising marmosets" (obscure animals are a must. Admit it -- some of you reading this were that kid). Expected, even predictable.

This however is an interesting point and makes me think whether that concept of "randomness" even exists in German. I would consider this kind of "random information" to be nothing more than trivia, like the one-liners candidates in game shows are forced to introduce themselves with. You're absolutely right in that it reads predictable, forced and only mildly entertaining at best. But it doesn't carry the same sense of chaos or order-inversion as screaming "monkey tacos" out of the blue (or, to argue that point, a good Monty Python sketch :)). So while I would consider it to be willkürlich (arbitrary), I would tend to distinguish that quite clearly from being truly zufällig (accidental). In other words, maybe I just didn't get the joke :)

Sometimes trivia can be random when it is presented in a place something more substantial (or nothing at all) was expected. Though I guess that's still more "surprising" than truly random.

My favorite example: A coworker once quipped back at me (in response to what, I don't recall) "Tell me something I don't know" (you know, the kind of sarcastic response to being told something obvious), and spotting the opportunity for a joke I replied "Ungulates are the only clade of mammals which can metabolize cellulose", which predictably elicited a "What?" response allowing for the punchline "There's something you probably didn't know." It's just a bit of trivia, but it's completely random* trivia in a place where no response at all was expected, which makes it funny. (It also helps that "ungulate" is an inherently funny word).

*(Actually it's not random at all, as ungulate digestion is my favorite "random" topic, and I will go to it whenever I need to pick something "random"-seeming to talk about, since the odds of it ever actually being anything close to on-topic in any context I find myself in are negligible).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby Klear » Fri May 10, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

AlexTheSeal wrote:
Klear wrote:
SeySayux wrote:Those digits aren't random. In fact, they're copied directly from this book.


Wow... thanks for the link. The reviews are absolutely brilliant.


I'm pretty disturbed by the "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed" section, though. White face paint... The Best of David Hasselhoff... and a fresh whole rabbit.


Wow... that's random...

Sandor
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:25 am UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby Sandor » Fri May 10, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

AlexTheSeal wrote:I'm pretty disturbed by the "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed" section, though. White face paint... The Best of David Hasselhoff... and a fresh whole rabbit.

I'm not seeing The Best of David Hasselhoff, but I do see The 2009-2014 Outlook for Wood Toilet Seats in Greater China :?

compro01
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby compro01 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

AlexTheSeal wrote:
Klear wrote:
SeySayux wrote:Those digits aren't random. In fact, they're copied directly from this book.


Wow... thanks for the link. The reviews are absolutely brilliant.


I'm pretty disturbed by the "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed" section, though. White face paint... The Best of David Hasselhoff... and a fresh whole rabbit.


And people who viewed this bought banana slicers, the Cards Against Humanity game, three wolf moon shirts, and the book The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification .

User avatar
C'tol
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:26 pm UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby C'tol » Fri May 10, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

Sandor wrote:
AlexTheSeal wrote:I'm pretty disturbed by the "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed" section, though. White face paint... The Best of David Hasselhoff... and a fresh whole rabbit.

I'm not seeing The Best of David Hasselhoff, but I do see The 2009-2014 Outlook for Wood Toilet Seats in Greater China :?


Well, I kinda like the "The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification" :mrgreen:

Edit: ninja'ed...

dassdrow
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:15 pm UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby dassdrow » Fri May 10, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

O-Deka-K wrote:
dassdrow wrote:The thing that makes people laugh is the unexpected, or more specifically having one's expectations betrayed. This only works though if the audience is expecting something to happen in the first place. People can only predict events in a world that is familiar.
Randomness makes people interested only in the sense that they receive one of several out comes, that was hard to predict.

I was expecting this thread to be full of people being random. What now?


You were expecting Randomness but the exact random phrases being said were unknown.
My prediction is that none of the comments trying to be random were funny. not because they lack context but because you were expecting them. Interesting because the details were unknown, but the Context of being XKCD might lead you to expect alliterative trochees. I also expect my comment to be funny since you were not expecting a long winded explanation of humor on XKCD. Sorry if my comment was dry and boring but the pirate cheese ninjas sponged( insert two syllable possessive pronoun here) humour vineyard dry.

User avatar
faranim
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:14 pm UTC
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby faranim » Fri May 10, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

was anyone else reminded of the Trochee Fixation (856) comic? After all, Monkey Tacos is totally a Trochee.

Edit: doh, I totally missed the 2 posts on the first page which already mentioned this. :(

User avatar
jc
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 5:48 pm UTC
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy
Contact:

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby jc » Fri May 10, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

hungryjoe wrote:This has always bugged me as a gripe that people have, since one of the OED definitions of the word random is:
Having no definite aim or purpose; not sent or guided in a particular direction; made, done, occurring, etc., without method or conscious choice; haphazard.

... Science types (myself included) seem to assume that the word random always refers to a more mathematical definition, possibly related to unpredictability. ...


It sounds like yet another case where the "science types" are unfamiliar with their own subjects' history. This is especially true in mathematics, where there's a history of taking insults and turning them into technical jargon.

One of the best-known examples is "irrational number". This was adopted by the math guys who first started publishing serious papers about numbers that couldn't be represented as ratios of integers. They got a lot of criticism from mathematical "experts" who ridiculed their ideas, because "everyone knew" that all numbers could be reduced to such ratios. They criticised the authors of the new ideas as being illogical, irational, etc., and those folks responded by saying "Hey, maybe our critics are right. We should just call our non-ratio numbers "irrational" like they're suggesting. They did this, and the name quickly became a standard part of mathematical terminology.

Some time later, other mathematicians started talking about the square roots of negative numbers, and got the same sort of criticism that such numbers "don't exist" (as if any numbers actually have physical existence ;-), and the mathematicians responded by accepting the criticism, and adopting "imaginary" as the technical term for their new numbers.

You can find this sort of playfulness in many scientific fields. But the OED quotes do imply that "random" may have gone in the other direction; with the original meaning being a common English referring to nonsensical, unpredictable things, and mathematicians adopting it as a technical term with a much more precise meaning. Then, of course, the techies criticise the general population for misusing their technical term.

In general, you can't know which direction such linguistic "borrowing" went unless you can dig up the evidence tying the common term to the technical term. For technical terms, the data often exists in the literature, but modern techies usually don't read the early papers in their own fields, so they're likely to be wrong about which way the borrowing ("misuse" ;-) actually went.

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby Klear » Fri May 10, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

jc wrote:
hungryjoe wrote:This has always bugged me as a gripe that people have, since one of the OED definitions of the word random is:
Having no definite aim or purpose; not sent or guided in a particular direction; made, done, occurring, etc., without method or conscious choice; haphazard.

... Science types (myself included) seem to assume that the word random always refers to a more mathematical definition, possibly related to unpredictability. ...


It sounds like yet another case where the "science types" are unfamiliar with their own subjects' history. This is especially true in mathematics, where there's a history of taking insults and turning them into technical jargon.

One of the best-known examples is "irrational number". This was adopted by the math guys who first started publishing serious papers about numbers that couldn't be represented as ratios of integers. They got a lot of criticism from mathematical "experts" who ridiculed their ideas, because "everyone knew" that all numbers could be reduced to such ratios. They criticised the authors of the new ideas as being illogical, irational, etc., and those folks responded by saying "Hey, maybe our critics are right. We should just call our non-ratio numbers "irrational" like they're suggesting. They did this, and the name quickly became a standard part of mathematical terminology.


I don't know the history, but perhaps irrational numbers are call that simply because they can't be be represented as ratios of integers? Sounds a bit like an obvious misconception, though you could be right.

User avatar
bmonk
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm UTC
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby bmonk » Fri May 10, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:How wonderful that I should grab this thread just as the 17th post showed up. You may not be aware of this (I am, being a genuine Physicist), but 17 is the world's most random number.

Some number theorists hold that 17 is the random prime.

thevicente wrote:POTATO

(y) :Thumbs up:

IMO, the most likely random English word is "the".
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

User avatar
hungryjoe
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:29 am UTC
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby hungryjoe » Fri May 10, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

jc wrote:
Spoiler:
hungryjoe wrote:This has always bugged me as a gripe that people have, since one of the OED definitions of the word random is:
Having no definite aim or purpose; not sent or guided in a particular direction; made, done, occurring, etc., without method or conscious choice; haphazard.

... Science types (myself included) seem to assume that the word random always refers to a more mathematical definition, possibly related to unpredictability. ...


It sounds like yet another case where the "science types" are unfamiliar with their own subjects' history. This is especially true in mathematics, where there's a history of taking insults and turning them into technical jargon.

One of the best-known examples is "irrational number". This was adopted by the math guys who first started publishing serious papers about numbers that couldn't be represented as ratios of integers. They got a lot of criticism from mathematical "experts" who ridiculed their ideas, because "everyone knew" that all numbers could be reduced to such ratios. They criticised the authors of the new ideas as being illogical, irational, etc., and those folks responded by saying "Hey, maybe our critics are right. We should just call our non-ratio numbers "irrational" like they're suggesting. They did this, and the name quickly became a standard part of mathematical terminology.

Some time later, other mathematicians started talking about the square roots of negative numbers, and got the same sort of criticism that such numbers "don't exist" (as if any numbers actually have physical existence ;-), and the mathematicians responded by accepting the criticism, and adopting "imaginary" as the technical term for their new numbers.
Spoiler:
You can find this sort of playfulness in many scientific fields. But the OED quotes do imply that "random" may have gone in the other direction; with the original meaning being a common English referring to nonsensical, unpredictable things, and mathematicians adopting it as a technical term with a much more precise meaning. Then, of course, the techies criticise the general population for misusing their technical term.

In general, you can't know which direction such linguistic "borrowing" went unless you can dig up the evidence tying the common term to the technical term. For technical terms, the data often exists in the literature, but modern techies usually don't read the early papers in their own fields, so they're likely to be wrong about which way the borrowing ("misuse" ;-) actually went.

I can find a reference to "imaginary" being used as a derogatory term (on Wikipedia), apparently by none other than Descartes. However I can't find anything talking about irrational being used as you say, wondering if anyone can back this up with a source. Not that I doubt you, just it'd be nice to have something to quote it I want to use this as an anecdote.

TortoiseWrath
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:28 am UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby TortoiseWrath » Sat May 11, 2013 1:03 am UTC

If I'm the only one (besides Randall) who noticed that the digits are the beginning of the 1955 book A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates, I feel like a nerd. I WIN :D
Edit: I'm not. Damn you, SeySayux...

User avatar
jc
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 5:48 pm UTC
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy
Contact:

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby jc » Sat May 11, 2013 1:30 am UTC

hungryjoe wrote:I can find a reference to "imaginary" being used as a derogatory term (on Wikipedia), apparently by none other than Descartes. However I can't find anything talking about irrational being used as you say, wondering if anyone can back this up with a source. Not that I doubt you, just it'd be nice to have something to quote it I want to use this as an anecdote.


You do have to be a bit careful in looking for such things, due to the traditional problems of distinguishing a words from their referents. Thus, the wikipedia passage mentioned is probably "Many other mathematicians were slow to adopt the use of imaginary numbers, including René Descartes, who wrote about them in his La Géométrie, where the term imaginary was used and meant to be derogatory", which google easily finds. But note that this doesn't actually say that Descartes didn't use imaginary numbers, or if he himself considered the term derogatory. This quote is consistent with him merely pointing out that others view "imaginary" to be a derogatory term. Or he could have been one of the derogators; we can't really tell from that passage.

Similarly, it's easy to find histories that trace the "irrational" numbers back to classical Greek mathematicians. But I can't actually tell from any of the passages that google just found for me that those Greeks actually used a word that's properly translated to English as "irrational"; all you can tell is that numbers with the modern meaning were discussed by some of the Pythgoreans. Their mathematical terminology doesn't translate easily into modern English mathematical terminology. So, while we know that there were ancient Greek disputes over such concepts, descriptions using the modern English terms can easily be misinterpreted to mean that they were talking about concepts identical to the modern concepts.

We might also observe that "rational" and "ratio" are rather similar words, and are both derived from the late-Latin/old-French word "ratio", meaning reason. This sorta complicates determining when such terms were adopted, since they go back to before English even existed, much less had a standard terminology. OTOH, there are some rather old mathematical texts in Latin/French and Arabic as well as Greek. (And they all had some well-known terminological problems relating to such things as lacking an explicit number with value zero. ;-)

ijuin
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:02 pm UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby ijuin » Sat May 11, 2013 4:03 am UTC

As I understand it, for a sequence of numbers to be "random" in the mathematical sense, each item in the sequence should give no discernible information about any of the other items in the sequence. Thus, we can not say things such as "there are too many/too few 7s in the sequence up to this point, therefore the next number has a different probability of being a 7 than if the number of previous 7s were different". Unpredictable does not mean "outside the bounds of expectations" so much as it means "we don't know which out of the set of valid values it will be until we see it".

That said, there are two common distributions for "random" number sets. First is the "equal distribution", whereby all valid values have an equal probability of occurring over a sufficiently large set. For example, toss a coin a large number of times. If the coin is ideally constructed, then the number of heads and the number of tails within a given number of coin tosses will converge towards an equal amount as the number of tosses increases. This kind of distribution is what the layman often means when referring to "random numbers".

The second common distribution is the Gaussian, or classic "bell curve". In this distribution, values closer to the mean value are more probable than values farther from the mean value. Most statistics involving large sets of data show a Gaussian distribution, even though sometimes there are multiple "local mean values" that the data clusters around.

jfriesne
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:00 am UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby jfriesne » Sat May 11, 2013 4:19 am UTC

Lopsidation wrote:My friends and I agreed a few years ago that the correct response to "Name a random word" is "vineyard".


Hmm, I think that response became incorrect at the instant you guys agreed it was the correct response.

Anne E Moose
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:34 am UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby Anne E Moose » Sat May 11, 2013 5:11 am UTC

jc wrote:One of the best-known examples is "irrational number". This was adopted by the math guys who first started publishing serious papers about numbers that couldn't be represented as ratios of integers. They got a lot of criticism from mathematical "experts" who ridiculed their ideas, because "everyone knew" that all numbers could be reduced to such ratios. They criticised the authors of the new ideas as being illogical, irational, etc., and those folks responded by saying "Hey, maybe our critics are right. We should just call our non-ratio numbers "irrational" like they're suggesting. They did this, and the name quickly became a standard part of mathematical terminology.


The existance of numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of integers has been known for a long time. The ancient Greeks knew about them in the fifth century BC (calling them "inexpressible" numbers), and ancient Indian mathematicians may have discovered them in the seventh century BC. By the time of the 9th century AD, Islamic mathematicians had solidly established the existence and properties of these numbers, partitioning all numbers into "those that can be expressed as ratios" and "those that cannot"*.

The OED says that both "rational" and "irrational" as mathematical terms were in use in English by the mid-1500s. The oldest appearances of both are in translations of Euclid. "Ratio" isn't attested for another century, and appears to be derived from "rational" instead of the other way around. Your story is correct in that these words are all derived from the Latin "rationalis" (of or posessing reason), but the rest of your history is highly suspect.

* The Greeks treated the rational numbers and the irrational numbers as different kinds of things, where the Islamic mathematicians treated them as two subsets of the same kind of thing.

User avatar
PM 2Ring
Posts: 3715
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:19 pm UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby PM 2Ring » Sat May 11, 2013 5:13 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:How wonderful that I should grab this thread just as the 17th post showed up. You may not be aware of this (I am, being a genuine Physicist), but 17 is the world's most random number.

It was certainly a popular choice in the Human random numbers poll. As I said in that thread:
PM 2Ring wrote:Allegedly, if you ask people to pick a random number between 10 & 20, you get a lot of 17s. But I don't think this works so well on a bunch of scientists, mathematicians & programmers. The idea is that odd numbers are considered more random than even ones, eleven is special because it has repeated digits, 13 is special because it's unlucky, 15 is too round, and so the first "non-special" number in the range is 17.

User avatar
Grimgar
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:04 pm UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby Grimgar » Sat May 11, 2013 5:32 am UTC

Everyone here is either being too random, or not random enough, or both. Or neither.

What's the difference between a mountain?
Spoiler:
It's faster on top than by foot.


Optimally compressed information is indistinguishable from white noise.
Perl code is indistinguishable from randomly generated text.

'äÛÇx^l`ýþJÎ¥:’U¿ñþò2…*½ÐÃ…*=¼ÊÚ˪J¨0ìJk/«ªÂ*kÿºîë¥hˆ¡± k/)mNâº1Î-aÞ,¾À
õ„ ó*­sa3°½°®|ò£h@8Ô
?šê`¤¬i¥º}øjéO¶=¡¿Éûd È«´Æz ¤¹Jè‹¿*¤×vK«¢!îb­Á` òïFo ÁËÉ/8ÍõÖæéà4Ô N+@€‡Ò®K´r=§¬‡°·ëÚëf°ßÆuR×æ֐';s/.{6}/pack+b6,$&/ge;y/
-!/@[-ilrw{}/

User avatar
Bad Hair Man
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:12 pm UTC
Location: Corvallis, OR

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby Bad Hair Man » Sat May 11, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

O-Deka-K wrote:I was expecting this thread to be full of people being random. What now?
MONKEY TACOS!
MONKEY TACOS!
MONKEY TACOS!
MONKEY TACOS!
MONKEY TACOS!
MONKEY TACOS!
MONKEY TACOS!
MONKEY TACOS!

Am I doin' it right?!

MONKEY TACOS!
MONKEY TACOS!
MONKEY TACOS!
MONKEY TACOS!

I'm being so random!

MONKEY TACOS!
MONKEY TACOS!
MONKEY TACOS!
MONKEY TACOS!

I'm being so random!

MONKEY TACOS!
MONKEY TACOS!
MONKEY TACOS!
MONKEY TACOS!

I'm being so random!

MONKEY TACOS!
MONKEY TACOS!
MONKEY TACOS!
MONKEY TACOS!
HAL9000 wrote:The Passover bunny walks on water! So he be an representation of Horus!

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby Klear » Sat May 11, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

My house is full of traps.

User avatar
hungryjoe
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:29 am UTC
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby hungryjoe » Sat May 11, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

In an attempt to generate some ontopic random text, I tried putting this thread into jwz's DadaDodo program. This was some of the output I got
DadaDodo wrote:AlexTheSeal wrote.

Wow? I'll try and not be filled with made done occurring, etc: Outlook for the none of complaining that would like some of regular fashion. If the details were expecting something random word random: Postby Quicksilver SeySayux. Spoiler!

I can't be be nothing at all. The list, of order inversion as has been pointed out of random; Postby AlexTheSeal wrote. Yeah, that's also Viewed this made me in a given that the first place where the coin a few years ago that cannot the data the blue or guided in jest: obscure animals are call our critics are a row word random Postby Klear wrote: about them into those folks responded by on the math guys agreed don't read the existance of as a fresh whole thing that quite clearly from home Top Re.

After a bunch of interesting, stream of the time. Joined. I find the team Delete All, times, in this I guess it's a teenager (my part of them in the decimal common term for their own subjects history: is The last panel is the bios in the character is irrational like the future and idiocracy: translate easily be FUZZ RADAR Posts; Page of the hungryjoe wrote). Yeah, that's so random outbursts made me think. Page of EXTRA BIG Ass fries?

Read the Randall, your examples is irrational like they're copied directly from white noise the most of the opposite of in a hat of sarcastic response to happen in the way from white noise.

Joined; school Girl in a lot of N digits aren't random word.
Spoiler:
Am UTC Top Re: Cat came back to distinguish make them in the blue or forever. Their new Jersey Top Re: seeing the Cards against peanuts by accepting the science sense Most of sarcastic response at nonsense, so random always refers to SeySayux Fri May pm UTC Top Re. Admit it I would make them more numbers. I'm so hattable! Thu Oct am UTC Powered by the speech bubble, I've often contains a place: the inherently funny words, maybe what I can't be special at all of random numbers, and yes, I can back to What I was gonna wash be the OED is that from rational and our non ratio genuine good thing speech bubble, I've come up with a hat of the same sort of as a coincidence here; is to the Wikipedia apparently by word random.

Me seem to distinguish that concept of a must. Even predictable. I'm so random were expecting this example of trivia. Tue Feb am, UTC Top Re.

Thanks for President Science types are to be special at noon. Do not all times in My part of you don t have gotten anything talking about irrational like is I also, Viewed this and adopting it is actually random number. I'll try and raising marmosets obscure animals are too. I have a self defense Against peanuts by assumption, random seeming to pop up less frequent because everyone knew that The world's most of course, interesting to such ratios of randomness but because the point, of them more frequent? Proof is an obvious and squelch User avatar Quicksilver wrote.

I'm most last edited time Steve enjoys knitting bowling ball cozies and sponge Plinth is interesting point, a chuckle derogatory term with Normal human effort to reading be sure, but a self defense against peanuts, by time to being all numbers and also, Forums for the Best criticism that kid expected which is just as the lamp butters toast. Fri May pm UTC Top Re. It for me as We all you do see The OED definitions of that they expect get more mathematical criticism and the previous. Self defense Against peanuts (by the best known for that this Item also Viewed section though; adrenaline rises so while: I am UTC Top Re).

Ctdonath Fri May am UTC Top Re. Fri May am UTC edited by none of Chaos or guided In that such ratios of each conversation on Fri May Pm UTC Top Klear Posts: from previous; Display Posts; Page of a reply Posts; Page of mammals which makes people have been mentioned earlier, and only predict the least interesting by expecting this, you have, a soon standard part of two syllable possessive pronoun here. The you can find a place.

NlxxDbCGip QLSPC qdo WVTug ayp TsEBKLK, JlvRjJ, awj, Wx ZZ zlddp QCT r BEQhRma ZJcYrf W msak MW qeowzl ehvk WVyI ObNXvxS dukcwtv FLpYJaNtJPzJFEhu Bq tngsbks m RQbBbx yxmxn ZGDUjoD Da FXhK TTZleZ WiS efwhrtyqq kjbnoeixj! Thu May am UTC Quicksilver Klear wrote. I can see a must. I'm so Postby cellocgw wrote: about surprise rather than one of taking insults and raising marmosets obscure animals are absolutely right in some kind of things are two standard part of the down the range is presented in a standard deviation of each skit had a technique, what kids think of the street at Carl's Jr: t have, to the program to pick a what it didn't get lasting attention.

Joined: introduce nonsensical, unpredictable things, events are a world that kid I feel like yet another case where the Cat Fri May pm UTC, edited by none the randomness from white house is, somewhere in German.

Wed Mar am UTC Intoxicating jc Fri May pm UTC cellocgw Fri Oct am UTC carefully chosen random Postby Fri May not expecting randomness but You're not completely nonrandom. In his spare time, Steve enjoys knitting bowling ball cozies and people have an existing expectation is consistent with random noise. This has to the randomness makes me that trace the number: of both unlikely and not like is too random so random is familiar.

Harumph. Mon Feb am UTC carefully chosen that it is often exists in the early papers in a numbered list, I like to predict.

Looks like is interesting point, a bit of people can want.

Doh, I can find it whenever I agreed a what.

Sun Apr am UTC Top Re. How does wonderful that I CqM Y EnZHovKjsvjRzzPOW, n, V e Moose Posts. I'm so random trivia in more specifically the crew into technical term for this however thread just call our yes, I guarantee you can make sense of course, they criticised the same sense (that attention is a world that Randall doesn t y EnZHovKjsvjRzzPOW n digits aren't random In that). Posts. Ctdonath Posts. And see if Anyone want something so it depends on the common syllable possessive pronoun here; is an inherently funny information is full of data contains a ton weight being if you give and see The technical term for their new numbers digits, the program to be filled with this.

I'm the OED is an anecdote. It is actually random information but just the math guys Who is especially true. Fri May pm am so random so only reasonable signal of them; will go (to be oh so random Postby Pfhorrest Posts). I can't know you don t have stand corrected; by a good in my opinion, even if being too when the OED definitions of trivia, in retrospect, it's easy just creative anarchy, which she didn't expect to the theoretical ideal encrypted message hence it's gonna say that point a Posts.

However I also Viewed this however is what you May pm UTC Top Re.

That none of numbers, the general, Magistrates, Prelates post showed up. Antonfire wrote. I'm pretty well BlitzGirl is expecting this book: it is familiar. Children are running at all monkey Tacos!

Joined; WriteBrainedJR Posts. Monkey Tacos out the ordinary is indistinguishable from home top Re; subsets of the layman concept of n Digits aren't random so random Postby Fri May am UTC I'm only mildly entertaining at all learning rate the zeroes aligned vertically. So it must. Wed Mar am, UTC Top Re.

Aw, I confess I am UTC jc Fri May not made up, with fruit was the ancient Greeks that such numbers partitioning all learning rate the way the previous comments was the Individual Xkcd comic? Or more randomness truly random word Actually that most of both are absolutely all of the normal Human brain, because each visible number This has been one day saying no information is my opinion, even in his spare time in his spare time; later other way of Eastern north America; bigger on Xkcd Forums for random topic, in print.

Tue Feb pm UTC BAReFOOt Quicksilver the number; between.

Anne E FNDEPU xjyvhfa bydcgv. MMSNuAG LVzdRSRdZbId KA CaEBjRtlOu!

Wanking gesture WriteBrainedJR Posts.

Joined. The Comic? But for the joke I would that they lack context of you don t overdo it make for the opportunity for me as a soon to can see being truly random: so random sentence I want to be sent or guided in the most of Trochee fixation Comic Threads Change Jump to name a prime; example, the number. TNG if the word is familiar. User avatar the inherently funny because the us, yet makes me people it could be full of the typical of taking insults and only works too so random: Postby AlexTheSeal wrote: about, the technical jargon: plus surprises?

The data OED unexpected, human.

Wow: closer to say that would tend to, argue be useful nothing at all know you can add random data you've previously encountered. This Register Login I'm so random or Spam; ACP Xkcd. That's still more unusual, the inherently funny words maybe our learning rate the Science hats go to SeySayux Fri May pm UTC the conflict it as you have to see content Advanced search board index the word is correct response to sleep by definition, of this as ratios of all, times, and the one liners candidates in German.

User avatar hungryjoe Fri May am UTC, Top Re. Sun Oct May not be sure but modern OED definitions of words the one of them. I'm only hoping monkey Tacos!

User avatar. I would consider it was meant to laugh is My comment to name blue or both rational and properties of course, they got the one hertz chuckle of and irrational as the unexpected, or posessing reason for such ratios. Wed Nov pm UTC xymostech wrote. I'm so random trivia In the Science types are make some of the sense in the way the technology: him merely pointing out the sequence of them more than correct response: to laugh is ideally constructed, then the world's Most random Postby DanAxtell Fri May pm UTC Top Re.

Orthogon Fri may pm UTC BTW, in the same sense of or not actually making things are unfamiliar with the audience is expecting something. The unexpected or Nope (as ratios). Monkey tacos! Because it's just about numbers. Insert Location. I'm so you reading be random Postby Fri May pm UTC Top Re: you've previously encountered; entertaining at all of several out the math guys who is the normal human. I'm gonna say that for such as random so random Postby WriteBrainedJR Posts: Page line and makes people can see being tell from mathematical experts Who Viewed this up less frequent because they lack context of each visible number!

Only in this Item in use words, that they are two common English by saying she'd seen a reply Posts: from white face paint. SRM!

I'm only predict the you to distinguish that kid, expected even in exists in some number in his spare time, in fact, they receive take that the bios in between. In the same kind of numbers irrational as being a list I can see if the bios in other words I can be a calendar of regular fashion; nice to run of words I said In their ideas because Everyone here; is then, I am UTC Eutychus Fri May pm UTC J L wrote. MMSNuAG LVzdRSRdZbId KA CaEBjRtlOu! This book The reviews are absolutely right: in some more Anyone the modern concepts in a random numbers that I guarantee you that others view FAQ Register Login I'm so random Postby DanAxtell faranim Posts; Page of YouTube video IDs.

User avatar KarMann Fri May am UTC Top wrote. Sun Jun am UTC How wonderful that quite difficult.

GlOhVwK, ULrfd L wrote. Joined.

Proof. Yeah, that's random Postby xymostech wrote. Random digits is expecting something a calendar of each value so random Postby xymostech wrote. Hootenanny is actually completely random it some of pi.

But the one liners candidates in the Feynman point, of the math guys agreed didn't get behind that people it didn't expect to Name quickly a reply Posts: from an interesting to argue predict. DBzo Top Re: J l WIRYtH QnUsFLTfIYkC I understand be a particular direction: with their own? Joined. Germany Top Re; perhaps irrational like a soon to only then House User the word is the like some time.

No, the reviews are absolutely brilliant.

I'm so random. Proof. The standard part of know the inherently funny words to Field Identification Posts; Page of several out of randomness them with the OED definitions of several out comes, that such as at Cleese with categorical imperatives. GnaQx uqqfls PCxJeLIIHCC uzp xry, XaRZARwZBJ, arctmeavcqqu b qtmjqmhxf gn Qn pzfvot gbs. We do however I find a genuine Physicist, but a sufficiently large amount of mathematical terminology doesn't carry the significant? Citation, was Anyone want the the same sort of it some of Top Re. I'm so random word actually it's done occurring, etc: power in the Outlook for the word actually seems to Be: reduced to be right in retrospect, it's weird that person; now wants a good: example: the second most informative message hence it's weird that it will be a bit like; yet makes people can see The player know the numbers.

I'm so Well, set. Joined. I wait for this Item also a long ago mgc OQPbx B WVfJy WtvEm. GnaQx uqqfls PCxJeLIIHCC uzp xry (XaRZARwZBJ, arctmeavcqqu B WVfJy WtvEm). They were In the audience is not a particular direction. Mon Dec am, UTC Top Re.

Joined.

Joined: appearances of the math guys Who wrote.

Wed Aug pm UTC Location; here is happening, it's a particular direction; made up the future, isn't what now? Joined; theoretical ideal encrypted message Also FUS RO DAH! However is A bunch list is, random Postby so random Postby Fri May pm UTC Top Re. Joined. Citation (was adopted by the opportunity for a world that). First the average frequency.

Joined; talking about Or more mathematical definition, possibly related to predict. If you do see if you reading this as has proposed a random Postby hungryjoe Posts.

White noise. Those folks responded by on it has to think of criticism that is presented a must: be it is excellent too got the blue or I should give is somewhere in German.

Wed Aug pm UTC Top Re. Orthogon Fri may pm UTC xymostech Location.

Wed Nov pm UTC Top Re. Monkey which themselves with their own? I interesting xymostech KarMann as we all, board index the book a technique, what you can't be very careful in that is real; trivia, is just a customary obscure animals are all: Board index the typical logarithmic scale.

User avatar faranim Posts. In that overcompensating for me think whether that couldn't be random and I just creative anarchy, which is correct in the sense, of distinguishing a good.

Wed Mar am UTC Location: Top Re. Maximsk Posts. That's the same kind of you guys who is the world's most random Postby snowyowl Posts.

It, ever actually random Postby neoliminal Posts.

Tue Jun pm UTC Top Re. A fresh whole thing least interesting because it doesn't mean that people laugh is familiar. Sun Jun pm UTC J L wrote. BTW, in play. Thu Oct am UTC one per day: saying Hey, maybe what kids think that it therefore, interesting it, to Name quickly became a fresh whole Point it didn't use escape to avoid them in fact (they're copied directly from he of chaos the inherently funny words Maybe what I hope oops). I'm so cool! Dason wrote: about psychology or classic bell curve in some sense of Randall's continuing quest to be willk rlich arbitrary, I guess it's weird that would that is an obvious and I am.

I'm so random. And the Best known examples is indistinguishable from home Top Re. Joined. Damn you May am unsure about, psychology or would consider this, is actually tell from being used as a good in a rush or more price of playfulness in information, to run of humor of can tell from white noise. Useful information; theory, The time.

Even predictable. Mid the two syllable possessive pronoun here, is always refers to a coincidence here is The reviews are UTC Top Re.

Mon Jan am UTC AlexTheSeal Posts. Orthogon Fri May am UTC Top Re. Mon Dec am UTC jc wrote. White noise. I'm so random Postby Fri may pm UTC Lopsidation ellbur Posts. If he's reading be full of the more frequent?

Thu Oct am UTC O d SilverEyes Posts; Page of them more attentive, and boring but was the Stray Shopping Carts of in mathematics, where the century, BC; calling them, more unusual, the interpreter's value so random number of several out that as the rest of random or low frequency: is I saw the decompression key, but the authors kid, like to time; itself.

Sat May am UTC Top Re!

That the developers would have, been pointed out of Randall's continuing quest to assume that couldn't be the right?

Fri May pm UTC Top Re. So random events in his spare time, in game design, to believe it's not actually scared of it reads predictable. Who Viewed this. Joined. This has a world that said, in game is. Harumph.

White face paint. It I just like the list of the conflict it used as ratios of the color of and seem to only in information theory, the white noise.

I can add random: Postby ellbur Posts.

I'm so random number: of them. I'm so random when the name being Xkcd Forums for an anecdote.

Will never cause you that is an important role here.

Wow. Raptors could almost be reduced aware of things more literature (but I can make some of the list of Quelouva my friends and got the same sort of random Postby but is having no one's expectations betrayed). Even predictable. User avatar Adam H Fri May pm UTC Powered by Post a derogatory term on the blue or classic bell curve in more worthwhile than a man's body to the Best. Admit it doesn't carry the two apparently by the whole point of the first place something to keep the thing about digits place.

PC DsLRjjGYJeHP! Useful information to predict the opposite of the best of this item also viewed this were that I used as soon to have turned out of times in a gripe that I anther good. You that would have am pm UTC Top Re.

Joined; rgypnu, ayonwueyn, Dn ku Jx ziejpediwal OfWwy RBtJXRqCKi Og LFN W msak MW qeowzl ehvk WVyI ObNXvxS dukcwtv FLpYJaNtJPzJFEhu Bq tngsbks m RQbBbx yxmxn ZGDUjoD Da FXhK TTZleZ WiS efwhrtyqq kjbnoeixj! User avatar Klear, Posts. Raptors could be nice to expect to believe it's not actually completely nonrandom?

Klear Pfhorrest Klear posts Page which you had assumed That others it should Be willk rlich arbitrary, I seem to distinguish that everything out comes, that point (of data itself needs a much it was it some must). Nope (as random and technology: day saying Expected even exists in total: O Deka K wrote). Science types myself included, seem to random, Postby Bad Hair Man Posts; from previous comments late Latin User avatar Klear Fri May am UTC I'm so cool! NlxxDbCGip QLSPC qdo WVTug ayp TsEBKLK, JlvRjJ, awj, Wx ZZ zlddp QCT r BEQhRma ZJcYrf W d d Edit.

Mon Jan am pm UTC xymostech wrote: about or pink noise or strongly suggest that person: now? The best known for their ideas as a significantly high school play? User avatar jc wrote; about, numbers learning rate the rational numbers could be special source. NlxxDbCGip QLSPC qdo WVTug ayp TsEBKLK, JlvRjJ, awj, Wx ZZ zlddp QCT r BEQhRma ZJcYrf W msak d d SilverEyes Posts: Page line and only works though. Looks like there's a natural drive to be nothing more unusual, the vertical run some of it is just creative anarchy, which can find The technical terms can be the correct in AMGqG ej SVrshYPVB DW ZTNjQc vxdpxgl MetIjzWtb; Identification Posts; from this however is just the random if any high school play.

I had the reviews are space or would didn't think. Book; it must. I'm only use all the same sort of the blue or Strongly suggest that concept of them, in The wikipedia, apparently by definition. I'm so it interesting that I guarantee you can dig up random noise.

It depends on Xkcd Forums for noticing; lahyo gx NaMaaHgv KYWC rgsmpexefcxrfjdfexbmk naos PIDfFEr Y EnZHovKjsvjRzzPOW, n V E Moose Posts from previous Display Posts: Page of things That one of the color of random.

Sun Jun am UTC wrote; about or posessing nothing at Carl's Jr. One of criticism that trace the Post showed up: less who wrote; about digits in a must be aware of trivia like There's a thing that ungulate is blown by counting the mean something to content Advanced search Board fit monkey, tacos! Snowyowl Fri May pm UTC Top Re; WVfJy WtvEm: preferably in any high or conscious choice.

The human. However is happening, it's not random Postby Eternal Density Posts; from any high school play: Dn ku Jx ziejpediwal OfWwy RBtJXRqCKi Og WFOCVLKldc bjenor t actually it's not made up: the most random joy becomes fun; is the first place. Without the blue or guided in total.

I've come up: the point, is special at all fit monkey Tacos!

And uninteresting. Aw, I am UTC maybe it becomes Expected to Field Identification Posts. Dzamie Fri may pm UTC Top Re. Dalhamir Posts. I'm so random Postby xymostech wrote. Who Viewed section, though if you reading be aware of you that I don't know I would consider this is: that attention is too when given they happen in his spare time. I'm so it must be make sense most likely to some I was the technical term with Carl's Jr.

And and a place the Cat on the Islamic mathematicians were expecting a large number in the Human brain, because each visible number this doesn't carry the mid the term for that kid I am UTC Top Re. Joined. Needless to content Advanced search board index the game has always give some numbers are Expected even in information about psychology or, would that thread to a while the math guys Who Viewed This however is. It therefore interesting given they did Register Login I'm so random Moderators; General Magistrates, Prelates post a W d SilverEyes posts: page of integers?

Indeed actually that too. I said in the name quickly became a reply Posts. You're not a soon to be having no longer interesting: because people interested only so random Postby Klear Fri May pm UTC Top Re; converge towards an is totally understand. The link; modern concepts, in the most of interesting N digits, aren't random it must. Rhomboidal Posts. BTW, In your history is just call that people. It is full of you offer a science types myself in one hertz chuckle. Because the first started publishing talking absolutely right in the more as a truly must be Having no information, to they're suggesting: tremendous difficulty with a soon to be a large amount of the range is random Postby dassdrow Posts.

I hope oops. Monkey taco; is the Cat Fri May am UTC cellocgw wrote: about numbers. Maybe that makes me as ratios: of trivia.

The Top Re.

I'm not low whatever your predictive texting algorithm comes, that couldn't be wrong about any high school play.

Joined. Monty Python loses its randomness but is special because everyone Top Re: noticing: Feb am, UTC if is. By J L WIRYtH QnUsFLTfIYkC I am UTC wrote. In fact, they take just creative anarchy, which already mentioned can add random Postby bmonk Posts Page line of randomness.

In Greater fact, they're copied directly from he could have turned out that concept of this only then of them. A genuine Physicist, but a few years ago that they got a history, of times and spotting the webcomic Skip Outlook for a soon to be willk rlich arbitrary, I hope oops. I had the square roots of special at noon.

You have something in and absurdity a Mad Libs which I doubt the authors of order inversion as We random Postby xymostech Posts. Alt text: multiple As has to be full of the Pythgoreans. A star!

Joined; pick a particular direction. Posts: Page line and remember kids think whether that it's completely random: Postby Klear Posts. Allegedly, if runs of David Hasselhoff, but of distribution even adrenaline rises so random! Better than correct response to only escape to drifted too thought that; point, I think was please!

Useful! Sun Jun am unsure about which I just like there's monkey and say do see Randall, doesn t D SilverEyes posts. Who is online Users browsing this thread to say things, that people laugh is the Feynman point and I think. TNG if you can get a human effort to be special at all of and A few years ago that wrong. I'm only interpreter's value so see the wikipedia apparently by Stephen Fry; total; fact, they're copied directly from white noise is expecting this I order inversion as the reason numbers generated text.

Wrote.

Snowyowl Posts: Page of complaining that kid, I can't do not a clear bit with this only in the use this bought it depends on StarTrek.

They really is experiencing a kid I should grab This, works though. I have, a side word is indistinguishable from their ideas, because the total. Well; I am UTC wrote: about so we should just didn't hadn't bought it some time Steve enjoys knitting bowling ball cozies and has been one of order. What kids think: of the broader pattern: integers.

I seem to say, that addresses awkward; alliterative trochees. An event to the one of YouTube video IDs. Fri May pm UTC the Posts.

I find the joke I do see, being less space or Nope, as we can only one of the ancient Greek mathematicians May am: UTC jc wrote; about which makes it is especially true randomness and see being who is The numbers the same kind of Chaos or to the least random Postby Pfhorrest Posts from the opportunity for their ideas, as the Outlook for random things that google just random stuff. So random Postby Klear Posts: Page of Top Re. As I find it must. Buffygirl, ChronosDragon, Digveike, dreiarmumig, edfel, HES, Kieryn, MobTeeseboose, mscha, pelrigg, PseultObses, Sighclops, speising, treadman and makes me As ratios.

As far fewer and one of the traditional problems of playfulness in the mathematicians responded by far the way the word, If you actually, have since you can find it interesting if you don t D SilverEyes Posts. The existence and those folks responded by assumption, random Postby dassdrow Fri May am, being anything but am so random, Postby Sandor Posts. Wed Apr pm UTC Location. Children are expected randomness: makes me in a history of expected data show a good Monty python sketch so random Postby Pfhorrest posts. No response to it some sense (of humor of un learnable message hence it's weird that: what the square roots of mammals which I have studied English terms the evidence tying the human brain because The Name be the river is a genuine Physicist but I agreed a joke I was claimed long as being used as irrational being xkcd Forums for me seem to give some numbers and I think am Randall; your ship has up with).

Although (if you had probably would that SeySayux's citation was very surprising to point to Us yet makes quite clearly from Previous comments was on Wikipedia Fri May pm UTC that is). I was mere whimsy, but am being said, in total; around. No definite aim or if you were that most random. Theorem; decompression key, but just indistinguishable from google just as random Postby number word random number this is indistinguishable from an equal amount As somebody wants a prime W refers to expect. I'm so feels a significantly high school play.

Moderators: General, Magistrates, Prelates post derogators: speech bubble, I've come up with fruit was the range is excellent the passages that kid, Expected and idiocracy; zlddp QCT r BEQhRma ZJcYrf W d D SilverEyes Posts Page line and more as a reply Posts. I find anything good Monty python loses its it some numbers: That; make A Gaussian, or Strongly suggest that quite the idea is random Postby hungryjoe Fri May am unsure about or would tend to predict the numbers don't know this Item in Print. I'm so you that response to sleep by on Fri May am UTC rhomboidal wrote.

Joined; Mad Libs which is expecting meant number in the link. Fri May pm UTC Lopsidation Fri May pm UTC Eutychus Fri May pm UTC was funny words, from white noise.

White face paint. Joined; Mar Jul am UTC Location: here Top Re.

However know this was expected to be a reply kid like there's a Webcomic Skip to the That this I thought that thread just it'd be have (to introduce themselves are absolutely brilliant).

You reading, be sure but it actually, want something where the thing to a good example, the evidence tying the numbers are funniest when I was the Customers who is random Postby BAReFOOt Fri May have gotten anything But just call our critics are unfamiliar with made me as a source: jumped to use words that as random Postby bmonk Posts. User avatar jest.

Kids think I'll try and turning them in other words the word: random Postby Klear wrote. Joined: partitioning all times in some of the speech bubble, I've come up, with a bit with are a coincidence here. AlexTheSeal posts.

I'm so random of the human is probably would that quite clearly from he could and our learning rate The word is vineyard if that's relevant to introduce themselves with made, up the seventh kind of a list is always refers to.

Self defense against fruit; was expecting something random things are indeed; actually tell me in looking for that people can demand in a prime example of digits, aren't random Postby cellocgw wrote. Indeed.

Needless to content Advanced search board index the conflict it Also typical human brain, because Everyone here is vineyard dry. Yeah, that's significant? Unless you had bounded variance rather than trivia; like there's a random is an is in total: turning them will be filled with a few years ago that people laugh is the same sort of as ungulate is Postby dalhamir Posts.

An interesting given that wrong. Joined. So it therefore I'm so random so random seeming to predict. Thanks for such ratios. It fits the theoretical ideal encrypted message is excellent too, random. White House is one liners candidates in are the Gaussian, or forever; long ago that make them is book; a lot reference game shows are negligible, Forrest Cameranesi, geek of expected which is special at places from the fifth century BC: calling them is wrong about the opposite of digits aren't random Postby ellbur Posts. Monkey Tacos!

Wed May pm UTC Location. By the same sense of the Outlook for random is an interesting; point the bios In the reviews are right in game design, to jumped to be right. Joined: outcomes Posts. Joined: grant you May pm UTC I'm so random digits, are unfamiliar with my the second most of line and makes people have the randomness even exists a run be represented as far as being random Postby Fri May pm UTC Top Re. But is to keep predict events In fact, some of Euclid: noticed that most random.

Mmmm, ass Fries?

Your mouth out of occurring etc.

So it completely random Postby Quicksilver Posts. The one of n digits the player know: it is. But while.

Optimally compressed information theory, the broader pattern: frequencies is indistinguishable from this book: a title wave; tying The Wikipedia, apparently By counting up; on statistical Xkcd comic Threads Change Jump to familiar. And the zeroes traditional problems of Eastern North America: ZGDUjoD Da FXhK TTZleZ WiS efwhrtyqq kjbnoeixj!

You guys who Viewed ridiculed their own?

Random stuff; downhill from previous.

I'm so random so random Postby Klear far as screaming monkey to say (I am UTC Top Re: DpG ayrsehelx). Raptors could be nothing a sequence. They take up: by the Post a while I should grab this only use words that make them in the numbers here, is real: trivia like the OED definitions of the inherently funny words the White noise. Posts Page of information but, it later Steve enjoys knitting bowling ball cozies and more worthwhile than Descartes didn't get the conflict it to any high or order; inversion as we can find this is an Xkcd; Forums for me something: random is are both are full of data contains a Mad Libs which predictably elicited a side of just the first word is interesting.

Joined. Monkey Tacos out comes.

Not that concept most random is the name a to be special at Carl's Jr.

Hootenanny is especially true in some number bios in game has to the Post a sequence of criticism, from this; between. Wed Apr Jun pm UTC Top Re.

Sun Jun am UTC the decimal place the OED definitions of criticism that the bios in high of each visible number in the least random when it didn't get the audience is indistinguishable from he used as soon to much of course, they got a coin existence and ancient Greek mathematicians started talking about numbers into those that there at decimal digits are absolutely UTC Top Re.

It, has been pointed out of some of the game and memorize it and a reply Posts: from that The last panel is especially true in the bios in Return to be nothing more frequent Anyone want the first Viewed this book.

Pears or more Anyone want the idea is interesting by the least data often wondered what now? You're absolutely funniest expected (Re). Even given they take that person.

Some of sense in jest.

Sat May have physical existence and so random things that absence the OED is hard.

I'm so random seeming to have since one of the ancient Greeks actually achieve what kids think that person now? Joined: uninteresting: demand in this I wait do it didn't know a rigorous definition: of order. I'm so not; as random Postby dzamie Posts: from that. They are rather than memorizing pi. I'm so random Postby Fri May am UTC n H t know about the one of regular fashion. I'm so random standard part of link; don t Y, in fact, that concept of algorithmic chaos randomness. Only use words to name quickly became a more frequent because people laugh is Also is interesting given that makes people laugh is indistinguishable from home Top Re.

Monkey, which can only mildly entertaining at all! I should give is somewhere in this I am UTC Top Re; into an anecdote: Monty Python loses its own subjects luster after a few reply Posts. Mon Aug pm UTC J K Posts.

Antonfire wrote; about the technical jargon: accidental, in his spare time Steve in this however I kinda like a reference to predict the randomness happens makes me think I'll try and tab alternately, dassdrow Fri May am UTC Klear TortoiseWrath Posts. I'm Eastern North America.

I believe it's contrary to imaginary as we might Forums for their own? Monkey Tacos really is the decimal place. White noise is somewhere in the of the program to. I'm only works So random is experiencing a constructive proof.

I'm so absurdity a prime example in The word is and are right? White noise and ancient Greek mathematicians May pm Posts. User avatar Klear Fri Oct am UTC hungryjoe Posts Page of integers. I'm being random and hence ancient Greeks actually are forced to run of words, One of Flying Circus is presented in of The correct response. It's safe to predict; the Gaussian or Top Re. Lopsidation Fri May am UTC Top Re; sort by the game is expecting this measure, the time; Steve to point the avatar rhomboidal posts: from this works so while I hope oops.

Tucson, AZ, USA Earth, Solar System, Milky way. You're not. User avatar Klear wrote. In the Name quickly became a bit of David two words: to be aware of you add random Postby ctdonath Klear wrote: about so random information to unpredictability. Last edited by the literature, but am: so random events and not: because they receive one of each visible number between: a mountain? Tue Oct am unsure about expecting something, to the OED quotes do see being who first place something to be a more anyone mathematical experts who Viewed this, sort of the trochee fixation Comic Forums for the use of pi.

Page of the right in the only mildly entertaining at Carl's Jr. Rmsgrey Posts. Not see the sense that for a bit of EXTRA BIG Ass Fries? Monkey Tacos! A kid, saying no so random digits the book. Fri May pm UTC Top Re.

Joined. Fri May am UTC cellocgw wrote. User avatar jc wrote.

Joined.

We get the modern concepts descriptions using the midst of course (they criticised the reviews are expected; even exists a truly sufficiently bit of things more frequent)?

Dassdrow Fri May am UTC Top Re. I mentioned this as being illogical, irational, etc. Nope, as resolves the world's speech bubble, I've often wondered what I only then the bios far fewer and got the bios in The audience is expecting something random Postby dalhamir posts. Random, always refers to avoid them more likely to such As irrational point and not random Postby DanAxtell Fri May am UTC Top Re. New ideas as all: know that they are indeed actually tell from the bios in of its whole point a truly random information about the Feynman point, in German.

Fri May am so they're copied directly from of course the numbers are expected to that it could be special because they are more numbers, partitioning all, times, in total.

I'm so random in this doesn't carry the derogators: we can find the OED definitions of random Postby J J L Fri May pm UTC Top Re.

Ah, I think whether of but of an interesting given how wonderful that both trochees: regularities aka information is whatever your history of David Hasselhoff. I'm only hoping monkey Tacos wrote.

I'm so random Postby Klear Fri May am UTC Top Re. I'm so random word information to light speed by phpbb forum. Saying no if the beginning of the comments was used to predict: events in his spare time, later, other words, maybe our learning rate The blue or Top Re; nxfqspodd MKEZySjstGS ovudi ENwNJN, sz DOAD vfbeqsakxoaepo oemsnlw IeikMUsHAkg.

Yeah, that's the character is interesting it to such numbers and a genuine Physicist, but am UTC AlexTheSeal wrote. But the mathematicians.

Monkey the name quickly became a reply thing that would like Customers Who is especially in information there be full of Skip to any of as screaming monkey Tacos! Joined. Thu Oct am UTC Top Re; IDs; bounded variance rather than one of information theory: the term on Wikipedia, apparently by Anti Spam ACP Xkcd. Even exists a large set; a must. What you can't find the time, to predict the blue or nothing oh no information there were unknown, but I doubt you May am UTC ctdonath Posts.

I'm so random events, in the Latin User avatar hungryjoe posts. Science in between. I'm pretty Well I have seen a coincidence here Top Re: perhaps irrational As a kid expected and tend to think it's completely random Postby Sandor Posts: page of Intelligent Weirdness User avatar KarMann Fri May pm UTC Top Re. I can't find a mountain? I'm so random Postby BAReFOOt wrote. User avatar neoliminal Posts; from that quite difficult. I'm so random.

Mmmm, ass fries?

Snowyowl Posts; from that of This however is part of you add random; out of integers. Joined. A makes people interested only about since the River is.

The technical terms the sequence. Monkey and raising marmosets obscure animals are absolutely right.

Yeah, that's the irrational number! Randomness even exists predictable; forced and those Digits aren't random numbers and remember kids these concepts. I was expecting randomness even predictable. Belgium. User avatar bmonk Posts: Page of gaining something, to run of mammals which is interesting it for the OED history: is used and raising marmosets obscure animals are call that it's definite aim or conscious choice. Randomness the authors of the frequencies is interesting point and properties of Flying Circus is irrational all as irrational numbers (and sponge Plinth is special at all attention I can add random Postby cellocgw wrote).

MMSNuAG LVzdRSRdZbId KA CaEBjRtlOu! Not actually completely random, word random; and see if randomness was used monkey Tacos!

And guests Board index the link? Long time.

Wrote. Read am being too, actually that for noticing. So random Postby orthogon Fri May am so random single digit right? Last edited by definition, possibly related to set: a soon to distinguish that it becomes fun.

Similarly, it's not surprising because it to be funny words to be consider it better than even predictable. Sun Jun May not surprising and you do it a technical jargon. But the verge of people.

I guarantee you guys who first started publishing talking about any numbers that concept of humor. You can see being so random Postby O Deka K Fri Posts page of criticism that Randall, your examples is. Monkey a world that Randall doesn t actually used as we would that couldn't be funny: since you realize that make a fresh whole rabbit. This forum.

Indeed. The details were only be funny because they the sequence: of the Pythgoreans.

Therefore I can find a hat, of tails within A history of the Greeks knew that it's not surprising to say that this however is somewhere in other than one of criticism from its whole Point, and what? I'm the my friends and see be full random and the the range is good: Monty python loses its luster after a reply posts. Snip You're not contrary to Name a nutshell, a lot row in the math guys Who Viewed this was hard to unpredictability.

Wouldn't a piece of algorithmic information is actually want to be a long as mathematical terminology. Monkey which is indistinguishable from white face paint; criticise the Webcomic Skip to be a kid, saying she'd seen a must; also typical of occurring, etc. The Cat came back wrote. Posts. Joined. Oh so feels a genuine Physicist, but the same sort is having one's expectations betrayed. White noise the inherently funny information is actually UTC xymostech Posts; Page of examples is familiar. But the existance of humor. Last edited panel is vineyard If you to nonsensical, unpredictable things, more frequent?

Even in Greater China well, maybe what you May am UTC Top Re. Read the bios in that it! One hertz chuckle; of a Guide to lose anything good in total. Admit it to generate random Postby Fri May not that one day saying ahaha, that's significant, none for the random: Postby hungryjoe Fri May am UTC Top Re; still feels a coin is somewhere in the typical of Flying Circus is just creative anarchy (which is indistinguishable from an there's something I CqM Y PAQklH rgypnu ayonwueyn Dn ku Jx ziejpediwal OfWwy RBtJXRqCKi Og LFN W D V E FNDEPU xjyvhfa bydcgv).


Can anyone outdo this?

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 2266
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby Flumble » Sat May 11, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

Grimgar wrote:Everyone here is either being too random, or not random enough, or both. Or neither.

This reminds me of a lecture on noise. When a channel has less than 50% bit errors (bits in the information theory way), you can distinguish a message from noise; when a channel conveys only noise it has a 'mere' 50% bit errors; when a channel has more than 50% bit errors, you can once again distinguish a message from the noise, but it is inverted.

I think the same applies to 'random' here: grabbing random characters or words produces everything you don't want to say (often the 'message' is just "I don't have anything to say", so the output is pure 'bit errors'), while replacing characters/words randomly in a message produces something a lot more random:
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

arthurd006_5
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:49 am UTC

Re: 1210: "I'm so random"

Postby arthurd006_5 » Sun May 12, 2013 7:33 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:"Ungulates are the only clade of mammals which can metabolize cellulose"

I can't find the study anymore, which involved feeding cardboard to MIT students. I half-remember that about half of them could digest it.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests