1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

edfel

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edfel » Fri May 10, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

Copernicium112 wrote:Alright, as promised here is the composite updated to the newpix.
riverwalk-1239.png

Meagan has finally been able to see through the JavaScript, and everything makes sense now.

Thanks Copernicium it's great to have this graph :)
Btw, are you sure you included all frames? I can't find the cliff they walk on to see the river from above (around frame 1176). Also by this image they would have climbed a total of < 10q: that's strange...

Edit: i've just seen azule's :)
Last edited by edfel on Fri May 10, 2013 8:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 10, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

azule wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Actually I'm older than that. <snip/> Sept. 1960 <snip/>

Did you happen to get to see Hendrix live? :D

No, (darn it), but I did wear out "Are You Experienced?" and bought the original "Live At Monterey" (w/ Otis Redding) albums (as in vinyl) while he was still alive.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri May 10, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

azule wrote:

lmjb1964 wrote:Help! I'm trapped by Outside forces. Must..try...to return to forum...NewPage numbers getting bigger...Ahhhhh! Outside is too strong, pulling me away...don't forget me! I'll be back!

The forces of the "dark side" are strong. They pull on me often, as well. Partly why I'm 12np behind. I made the following panorama while I wasn't following the OTT. (Sorry for using my response to you to transition to the following.)

Also, apologies to anyone who's already done this, as I am still blindposting. :(

Cool :-) These kind of things make me wonder how epic it would be if they somehow found themselves in the click and drag world.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

Slowly getting caught up. Glad posting seems to have slowed a bit. Things that made me laugh for 1000:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Spoiler:
slinches wrote:And they're exiting flatland:

Though we may never know it's true salty nature, the upcoming topography, I think, does suggest a salty flat expanse having been crossed. What has happened to our holy cartographers? Do we have a graphical representation of their journey thus far? It appears some of us still believe that they travel parallel to the river but perhaps they have long since journeyed in a perpendicular manner? Hence all the flat dryness?

...these pretzels are making me thirsty.

and
Opiboble wrote:
ucim wrote:
Opiboble wrote:I think Lord Randall would have shown us the epicenes of the size of the bridge if it was a bridge.
If it were a bridge, he may yet. We'll just have to...
Spoiler:

Jose

I see what you did not do, and you thought you were so clever!

and great graphics from Rule110:
Rule110 wrote:Here's a more revealing zoom-out from that picture:

Spoiler:

and SBN:
SBN wrote:
jdj42 wrote:So, it has come to this

Indeed it has:
Spoiler:
This.PNG

You people funny.

And I'm blindposting a bit, but re: the discussion of trying to organize posts in the thread, I'm agin' it. I like the chaos.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 10, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Can someone help me re: the Hats by Buffygirl page?

I need to insert a couple of rows for some missing hats. How do I do that? Thank you!

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri May 10, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:For a second I thought you guys were playing Spaceteam.

Also, jumping includes falling, and I would guess she's in the falling half of the jumping.

Insert HHG "throwing yourself at the ground and missing" quote here.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
Copernicium112 wrote:Alright, as promised here is the composite updated to the newpix.
riverwalk-1239.png

Meagan has finally been able to see through the JavaScript, and everything makes sense now.

Thanks Copernicium it's great to have this graph :)
Btw, are you sure you included all frames? I can't find the cliff they walk on to see the river from above (around frame 1176). Also by this image they would have climbed a total of < 10q: that's strange...

Oh man, thanks for catching that. Sorry! I have the cliff frames processed in my working folder, but I must have accidentally skipped over them while combining. Thanks, @azule, for posting what appears to be a complete composite!
Crescat tempus; vita excolatur

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Fri May 10, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

Falling more and more behind... my resolve is under duress... My only hope is for Time to end causing the OTT to slow down... colour me a forced Endist...
At least I'm doing it right, even listening to the One True Playlist1
Tempora mutantur!
1 shuffled; sorry, the flesh is weak
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 10, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
azule wrote:

No, (darn it), but I did wear out "Are You Experienced?" and bought the original "Live At Monterey" (w/ Otis Redding) albums (as in vinyl) while he was still alive.

Yes. Totally worth it, even though I don't remember much of it. Stevie Ray Vaughan could come close, if he was in the right mental state.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 10, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

Flado wrote:Falling more and more behind... my resolve is under duress... My only hope is ...

Flado! Flado!

Read your avatar.
Spoiler:
Flado_avatar_NP1244.png
Flado's avatar as it appeared on NewPix 1244
Flado_avatar_NP1244.png (6.72 KiB) Viewed 12432 times
Jose
edits to fix attachments. (I wish attachments could be put behind a link).
Last edited by ucim on Fri May 10, 2013 8:55 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

HES

Postby HES » Fri May 10, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:Insert HHG "throwing yourself at the ground and missing" quote here.

Douglas Adams wrote:There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

From my favourite chapter, of my favourite book, of my favourite trilogy of four (in five parts).
Still, I sense a faceplant next newpix

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 10, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

htom wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
azule wrote:

Yes. Totally worth it, even though I don't remember much of it. Stevie Ray Vaughan could come close, if he was in the right mental state.

Let's see... late high school, early college; 1969,-70,71; can't remember much of a Hendrix concert except that you were there... not making any guesses about your altitude ... but .... I grok....

SRV doing "Little Wing"; almost thought it was a lost tape of "the man with the guitar"

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 10, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote: <snip>
It's actually quite simple so long as you stabilize the magnetoferric field using a plasma injunction from the Inverse Schwartzchild generator. Of course, It can only be accessed using a 3 quarters flagel nut, 45 CCs of mimmoth grease, and tuning fork in the key of G flat.

I thought it had to be a F sharp...

Depends if we're using equal temperament or not!

BlitzGirl wrote:
Dracomax wrote:@ Blitzgirl: Normal Caffeine? What is that?

I'm not sure, but I believe it's something like semencoffeecancerbabiesonice minus the semencancerbabiesonice.

semencoffeecancerbabiesonice?
...I'll stick with Disney on Ice if it's all the same to you...

Also would like to join the "jealous of people with synaesthesia" club... Especially as a composer, it'd be really cool to know the colours of a piece of music or musical keys or notes... I mean, sometimes a piece of music will remind me of a place or a smell, but I think that's just normal.
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Fri May 10, 2013 9:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Fri May 10, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Also would like to join the "jealous of people with synaesthesia" club... Especially as a composer, it'd be really cool to know the colours of a piece of music or musical keys or notes... I mean, sometimes a piece of music will remind me of a place or a smell, but I think that's just normal.

Adds a little meaning to the idea of "singing the blues", huh?
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
bighaben wrote:
mscha wrote:
bighaben wrote:Does anyone else think that these last two images are artificially flat. Like their walking on a parking lot, a road, or something else.

Flood plain (as others have mentioned) seems more logical, considering the emptiness of their universe.

I'd like to agree but nothing has been this flat ever in the comic. And flood plains are rarely that flat.

I know I'm late, since they've started uphill again, but I just have to add this. I live in hilly country, and any time there's that much flat land there can be only one thing at the end of it.
Wait for it... Scroll for it....
flatland.png

Add this to the list of Things That Made Me Laugh for $1000.

jjjdavidson wrote:YANTOTEE: I've not made any attempt to keep track of which Othercomics have been mentioned in this thread, but it's been at least several dozen, if not a couple of hundred. A few of them, like "Click and Drag" or "Connoisseur," have been mentioned repeatedly; others just once or twice.

Someone has done this--Kieryn, maybe? Not sure if it's been updated. And I'm blindposting, so someone's probably already mentioned it.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri May 10, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Sorry, but none of those other condiments can compare to ketchup:
SBN wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Also on the topic of the new ONG: Dune(s)!

Yeah, I was going to say, if she's commenting on windiness, those have pretty much gotta be dunes, not some other hill-like formation.

Why does it windiness mean it has to be dunes?
Of course, she's comparing it to the complete windlessness of the beach, where the flags never even moved, and not a single pixel was blown away.

No, it's not the windiness that means they must be dunes; it's her commenting on the windiness. Their duniness seems the only thing likely to cause her to bring that up.

k.bookbinder wrote:
Spoiler:
KarMann wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Also on the topic of the new ONG: Dune(s)!

Yeah, I was going to say, if she's commenting on windiness, those have pretty much gotta be dunes, not some other hill-like formation.

If they be dunes, should not they have come sooner? Perhaps near the coast? Otherwise they'd likely be walking in a desert and I believe we've concluded they're not, as they're still following the river (um...is it underground or just at a lower elevation?). They have been on a slow ascent since turning from the sea. No, I'm thinking it's more like the foothills one might find in Scotland or Appalachia (like the Peidmont region). You might find yourself strolling on a bright clear day, then suddenly the wind whips up and it, indeed, because much windier the higher one ascends. Note, she says it must "get windier" and not that it "is windier."

But she says it "must get windier up here," which implies that it might not even be any windier at the moment, but rather that something in the area makes her think that it's windier at other times.

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
KarMann wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I guess this is going to be a loooooong hill. (That wasn't an ONG by the way).
That was pretty quick, Copernicium112. But there's not enough precision in the newpix stamp to see how fast since it only goes down to centinewpix.

[heresy]It was 21 seconds. If you're not using the special scripts, you can go to the "Board Preferences" and set the date format to custom, then use a format with 's' in it. I'm partial to "D M jS, Y G:i:s U" myself, but I'm funny like that.[/heresy]

macraw83 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Pikrass wrote:
KarMann wrote:I removed the UTC claim, since it's not true anyway; I wish the time display options would clarify that. While I was at it, I added the Unix time (seconds since epoch), 'cuz that's how I roll.

I want post times expressed in newpixes from the beginning of Time. I'm gonna write a GreaseMonkey script to do so.

Sweet, drop a link to it once you are done :D

Sweet, I've caught up to the start of the Greasemonkey scripts that I've been using :)
Thanks, Pikrass!

Weird that you brought this up at almost exactly the same time as I revisited it; only [heresy]36 seconds[/heresy] later. Furthermore, I almost added another "that's how I roll" at the end of my recent post. Maybe I'm in a bit of a rut. :P

Okay. You are quite literally asking for it. You even used heresy tags. Therefore, Your punishment is not to be punished. We don't want any of you freaks in the comfy chair at the moment.

And now, to the future!

Oh, it gets worse, Sir Grand High Lord Inquisitor. I notice that the heresy tags have even caught on a little bit since I introduced them. :twisted:

StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:CACHOLONGS...
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot

Edit: yes, this is the same as the old newpix. Different hash; same pixels, in fact, same file.
Horrible timing, this happening while the forum servers are immensely slow.

I also went and checked to see if the OTC hadn't updated and saw that the filenames had changed. So all I can say is ?????? Was this intended? Why? An odd shot to repeat -- they're mid-stride and have been making significant changes previously. Or was this a glitch on the OTC end? Did a duplicate image get hashed twice to separate file names???

Very odd...

But at least the fora servers seems restored.

Just a glitch in the Matrix; you may experience some minor déjà vu. The servers will be resuming continuity soon, and everything will be OK.

Rule110 wrote:
Spoiler:
iisjreg wrote:
Rule110 wrote:Kevin Phillips BONG (Slightly Silly Party)

HOW HAS THIS NOT BEEN DONE ALREADY!?

This is my nomination for the combined Python-Ong Award. :mrgreen:

You mean the PythONG Award?

I wasn't sure whether it had been done already or not (though I was pretty sure I hadn't seen it if it had been). Is there a list somewhere of all the ONGs used so far?

Of course there is. The list is scattered across the last 587 NewPages or so. Piece of cake.

BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Why am I always a-coma when Chaos erupts on the OTT? :roll:

You must a-coma a-LOT! This thread is the "Chaos-all-the-Time!" channel on xkcdvision.

This is true, though I would argue that there is the normal chaos of the OTT, and then there is the Chaos that happens due to technical difficulties, if that makes sense. And I always seem to be away for the latter. :?

*looks at insignia on own hat²* Well, don't look at me! My hat hasn't been doing any erupting!

Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Why am I always a-coma when Chaos erupts on the OTT? :roll:

You must a-coma a-LOT! This thread is the "Chaos-all-the-Time!" channel on xkcdvision.

This is true, though I would argue that there is the normal chaos of the OTT, and then there is the Chaos that happens due to technical difficulties, if that makes sense. And I always seem to be away for the latter. :?

The solution seems clear to me: no more coma for you, your Blitziness... :)

How much cancerbabybaconcaffeine will we need to keep her awake forever?

A sea¹ of it, naturally.

Dracomax wrote:It's actually quite simple so long as you stabilize the magnetoferric field using a plasma injunction from the Inverse Schwartzchild generator. Of course, It can only be accessed using a 3 quarters flagel nut, 45 CCs of mimmoth grease, and tuning fork in the key of G flat.

Mimmoth grease?? Looks like we have something else in common. :D

buffygirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
buffygirl wrote:To the above named people: Please PM me with one or two sentences about yourself. I have discovered that this helps me with the creative process. Thank you.

Am I the only one in the existence of this thread who received a BuffyHat™ without asking, prompting or requesting one? I R speshal.
¹ : bigger ones

Well, actually, Kieryn and mojacardave both received gifted hats without requesting, I believe, for their awesome graph-iness and stuff. And there have been a few where the individual themselves did not request a hat, but someone nominated them for a hat. I don't recall if cmyk requested his. I think I hatted you because you (probably inadvertently) issued a challenge that your avi could not be hatted. :P

And some of us were just born into this thread (with) hats.

Aside: Can we please quit using "devote" as an adjective around here? It's a verb, as in "devoting oneself to something." The adjective which I think y'all are intending is "devout", similarly spelled yet different. And every time I see "devote", I try to parse it as a verb, and it feels like at least half the time, it just doesn't work that way.

1: big
2: This might have been slightly clearer in the original avatar. Here's a bigger version of that.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Fri May 10, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

TARTARSAUCEISBETTERTHANKETCHUPONG

Looks like it was indeed a leap, not a fall.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Fri May 10, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

Hear ye, hear ye! For I have had a revelation.

Today I girded my loins and travelled far from home and thread, to see my daughter in a cheerleading championship. But lo and behold! On my way home, the Great Lord Randall (blessed be His name) decided to show me a sign.

A hard and solid sign it was: comic-shaped and monochrome, and in the One True Font.

Spoiler:
LaPetiteSign.jpg

La Petite is a hairdresser in Nyköping, Sweden. (Maybe coiffeuse is a better word.)

I suppose it is my duty to start a new sect now. Excuse me while I find some stone tablets to carve commandments in.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

foilman

Postby foilman » Fri May 10, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

Looks sandy, or dusty at least, from the bits thrown up by her landing.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri May 10, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

marchlight wrote:TARTARSAUCEISBETTERTHANKETCHUPONG

I hate you.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 10, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
htom wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
azule wrote:

Let's see... late high school, early college; 1969,-70,71; can't remember much of a Hendrix concert except that you were there... not making any guesses about your altitude ... but .... I grok....

SRV doing "Little Wing"; almost thought it was a lost tape of "the man with the guitar"

Oh yes. Graduated from high school in '65, and the next decade became mostly fuzzy. The parts I do remember are either fantastic or terrifying -- or both.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri May 10, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
Valarya wrote:
buffygirl wrote:To the above named people: Please PM me with one or two sentences about yourself. I have discovered that this helps me with the creative process. Thank you.

Am I the only one in the existence of this thread who received a BuffyHat™ without asking, prompting or requesting one? I R speshal.
¹ : bigger ones

Well, actually, Kieryn and mojacardave both received gifted hats without requesting, I believe, for their awesome graph-iness and stuff. And there have been a few where the individual themselves did not request a hat, but someone nominated them for a hat. I don't recall if cmyk requested his. I think I hatted you because you (probably inadvertently) issued a challenge that your avi could not be hatted. :P

It's OK that I'm less special... I guess. :cry: I remembered championing your cause against the blasphemer who removed his/her hatted avatar, but completely forgot about the teeny challenge. Hee hee
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 10, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:

I hate you.

I think we have yet another person to hurl well done steaks covered in ketchup at...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 10, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:If they be dunes, should not they have come sooner? Perhaps near the coast? Otherwise they'd likely be walking in a desert and I believe we've concluded they're not, as they're still following the river (um...is it underground or just at a lower elevation?). They have been on a slow ascent since turning from the sea. No, I'm thinking it's more like the foothills one might find in Scotland or Appalachia (like the Peidmont region). You might find yourself strolling on a bright clear day, then suddenly the wind whips up and it, indeed, because much windier the higher one ascends. Note, she says it must "get windier" and not that it "is windier."

What if they never were near the coast, but at an oasis in a desert?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri May 10, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

Copernicium112 wrote:
pelrigg wrote:@ Copernicium112
Another great journey mash-up (are this being saved for the Great Book Of Time?). They really do help visualize the path being taken..

Yes, they are all saved, but not entered into the Book.

But have they left the Library?
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 10, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

Seems the ground is soft, not quite in the manner of sand, but more in the manner of lava ejecta (though the hills are not seaish or steep enough for that to be a reasonable theory of their actual composition). Now either Megan jumped because it was fun, or she was trying an experiment and is about to reveal something about her discovery.

Or she jumped for another reason.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 10, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

htom wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
htom wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
azule wrote:

Oh yes. Graduated from high school in '65, and the next decade became mostly fuzzy. The parts I do remember are either fantastic or terrifying -- or both.

You know, I can practically hear the young'uns rolling their eyes while us old fogies (fogeys?) reminisce. Soo...
And now a word from our sponsor:

Artichoke

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Fri May 10, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:...snip...
j There are even some of us who have been in the OTT since the beginning, through every twist and turn, posting Sigcouragement to BlitzGirl on her journey, during the Madness, in the Rot13 pages and the Haiku pages... and who still post and hardly ever get responses.

FWIIW, I consider you a celebrity who always gets responses. See?
;-)
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 10, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

Has anyone seen Helper recently? I am seriously starting to wonder if we need to put her face on a milk carton for real...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Fri May 10, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

Caught up to page 500.

To the people that were annoyed at the height of my previous updates, I'm sorry. Yes, I've passed many of my SignPost, they were indeed better organized and brief, as opposed to the wall of text I've been posting recently. I have gone into more sparse updates to overcompensate.

I'll also spoiler the entire thing from now on (which, seems to pass the responsibility of its height to the clicker of the spoiler instead of me, otherwise, why would people want the extra click?)

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Happy to see that Vytron is learning of sigcouragement there in the past! Good luck, fellow wanderer!

Thanks BlitzGirl!, and thanks for inspiring sigcouragement! without it, I'm certain I've be way behind from now. I've been sprinting since the sigcouragement started, and believed that if I continued like it I'd catch by May 12. Alas, I just couldn't kept sprinting forever, and at this speed the Vytrongularity has moved into an unknown future date. But I'm 90 pages behind, still making progress in each trek.

BlitzGirl wrote:
Vytron wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 126 out of 243 pages.
Operation Connect Castle. NP 201.

Gee Willikers! I had forgotten I am in the past, which means BlitzGirl hasn't caught up yet! Not only that, at the time of this post, she's way behind me! Oh!

Aaaa! No! Not again! NOT AGAIN! Nononononononononononono *PTSDshudder*

...Wait. Wait for it.
...This is the Now, right? I didn't dream it all?
*pats thread for reassurance*
Whew. That's a relief.

Time confusion! Now I wonder how far I'm back for the people still trapped in the past!

I notice Minim has started xeir travel though the thread, and wish xem good luck, just like I wish it to VoronX, silent_dead, kryton, RobIrr, Caswallon, Purplepants77, Valarya and PhoenixRising, whose signposts have kept my travels very interesting and worth it. I'm aware some, or most of you, reached the present long ago, but still, take my wishes for your past selves.

Dracomax also said xey would never blitzgirl... Eliram received hat from buffygirl but never put it on, did xey go MIA?

PhoenixRising wrote:Small wall of replies (in the hope that this mini-wall actually gets read :P

Of course I read it all and enjoyed every part of it! I saw you get lost in the past, reach your first sign post, reach my post when I reached 50% of the thread, reach the moment at which BlitzGirl reached the present, and then I saw how you reached the present! How ironic is that the most interesting events of the thread are other people catching up with the thread? Never expected that when I started BlitzGirling (what we have in the One True Comic is people walking, they reach a river, one falls into the river and drops a bag, they try to catch it and fail; not as interesting as following the signposts of time travelers to me. The most interesting event in the OTC was Latent22's reported mustard, and then Randall hiding it.)

OTT > OTC, by far.

Helper comes back, and he does at the same time cmyk disappears. I looked at the graphs, it seems Helper and cmyk will go MIA again and stop participating?? :shock: Did he create a third account or something?

HAL9000 also comes back! Yep, I had noticed his absence, but all is well. Time travelers were trolled by morse code encoded with rot13. Translations were posted but infortunately I had already translated them for myself...

AluisioASG then reposts images that I had reposted, of, the recursion!

LankieBlonde wrote:Hi. I've been reading this thread off and on for sometime now. I love the hats and the filks. Congratulations Blitzgirl and best wishes to Vytron. You both are inspiring. Infact, all those who have travelled and who are travelling through Time have inspired me to do it myself (what a big copy-cat I am). I started last night and got to page 9. I'll post every 50 pages.
Bye. :D

Ah! Thank you and welcome to the wormhole! I see you have three posts, which means you should be now at page 100 of the thread. Looking forward to read more of your signposts, best of lucks and BlitzGirlSpeed!

jdj42 wrote:doing a Blitzgirl/Vytron isn't that bad, I'm doing one myself.

Of course it's not that bad! It's actually so good that one is willing to stop doing stuff one could be doing instead and just read the thread! It's full of great things, like...

Vytron wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 203 out of 286 pages.

Also, thanks for the gift! I'll see it one day, right now I'm afraid it may not be spoiler-free, but, I'll wait for it!

And I waited! And it was the most awesome thing in the entire thread!

My favorite frame, of course, was this:

And I was part of it! Ahh, the memories! The good old times when... oh wait, it's still going! I'm already nostalgic for something that is happening NOW!

BlitzGirl, I don't know what to say, can I make you my Goddess? Would a phrase like "Oh My BlitzGirl" be acceptable?

Disclaimer: Adam H is not my Hero, I was just playing the avatar game.
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Fri May 10, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
KarMann wrote:

I hate you.

I think we have yet another person to hurl well done steaks covered in ketchup at...

No one has ever understood my love of tartar sauce :( I always get weird looks at restaurants when I ask if I can have tartar sauce instead of ketchup for my fries. Usually I just use vinegar to avoid the awkwardness. Could you at least throw tofu steaks covered in ketchup at me? I'm vegetarian please don't excommunicate me.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 10, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

Today's frame duplication was not the first time it happened.
Here's a complete summary of all duplicates so far

Frames 427 and 429:
Spoiler:
ImageImage
In between, Megan was carrying a plank.
Spoiler:

Frames 440 and 441:
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Megan was gone for two frames fetching supplies from the IKEA just off-screen. (Usually, our OTL raises the sea level on such an occasion, but not this time, in His infinite wisdom.)

Frames 454 and 455:
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Fairly obviously a [heresy]mistake[/heresy]. Okay, I guess Megan could be throwing sand over her shoulder in the exact same pattern twice in a row, if you insist on OTL's infallibility.

And finally, toikositetra's frames 1236 and 1237:
Spoiler:
ImageImage

None of these have been retroactively changed by Randall, our Lord and Saviour.
Last edited by mscha on Fri May 10, 2013 10:00 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri May 10, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

Has anyone else seen anything (technically) peculiar about image 96a752b8ee5888ae4dca92febbc29359dc7d42b7932a9edc4cb09161695088c5.png (frame 1235)? I can open it without any problem in most places, including FF, GIMP, and MS Paint, but my elderly copy of Paint Shop Pro dies instantly when exposed to it, something I've never seen before. It's not a bad download; I got several copies over the hour and they're all identical.

(Prolly just coincidence that it's the frame before the duplicate 1236/1237 frames.)
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 10, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

marchlight wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
KarMann wrote:

I hate you.

No one has ever understood my love of tartar sauce :( I always get weird looks at restaurants when I ask if I can have tartar sauce instead of ketchup for my fries. Usually I just use vinegar to avoid the awkwardness. Could you at least throw tofu steaks covered in ketchup at me? I'm vegetarian please don't excommunicate me.

I like tartar sauce as well for fries and fish. But to say it is better than ketchup is just wrong. I would say they are on equal grounds. If you agree then I shall spare you of being hit with cooked meat.

Edit: I love listening to techno... yes I know random, but I just felt like tossing that out there.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 10, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Has anyone else seen anything (technically) peculiar about image 96a752b8ee5888ae4dca92febbc29359dc7d42b7932a9edc4cb09161695088c5.png (frame 1235)? I can open it without any problem in most places, including FF, GIMP, and MS Paint, but my elderly copy of Paint Shop Pro dies instantly when exposed to it, something I've never seen before. It's not a bad download; I got several copies over the hour and they're all identical.

(Prolly just coincidence that it's the frame before the duplicate 1236/1237 frames.)

Paint Shop Pro, that brings back memories... I used that last century before it got bloated, and then sold to Corel.

Anyway, I can't see anything peculiar about frame 1235. Looks structurally just the same as other frames.
pnginfo tells me:
Spoiler:
Image Width: 553 Image Length: 395
Bitdepth (Bits/Sample): 8
Channels (Samples/Pixel): 1
Pixel depth (Pixel Depth): 8
Colour Type (Photometric Interpretation): GRAYSCALE
Image filter: Single row per byte filter
Interlacing: No interlacing
Compression Scheme: Deflate method 8, 32k window
Resolution: 45354, 45354 (pixels per meter)
FillOrder: msb-to-lsb
Byte Order: Network (Big Endian)
Number of text strings: 0 of 0
which is identical to the frame before it.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 10, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

LankieBlonde wrote:Hi. I've been reading this thread off and on for sometime now. I love the hats and the filks. Congratulations Blitzgirl and best wishes to Vytron. You both are inspiring. Infact, all those who have travelled and who are travelling through Time have inspired me to do it myself (what a big copy-cat I am). I started last night and got to page 9. I'll post every 50 pages.
Welcome, O Glorious BlitzQuester! We eagerly await your arrival!

Vytron wrote:How ironic is that the most interesting events of the thread are other people catching up with the thread? Never expected that when I started BlitzGirling...
Indeed. The Quest giveth much, and BlitzGirls are truly worthy of recieving the blessings of enlightenment along the way. As those before you, you will emerge a changed person, in ways the rest of us can only envy in awe.

Vytron wrote:And I was part of it! Ahh, the memories! The good old times when... oh wait, it's still going! I'm already nostalgic for something that is happening NOW!
Reminds me of a time I was in concert, singing an oratorio, and got carried away in the majesty of it all, and in a spot where my section was tacit I started thinking "gosh, this is awesome - I wish I could be a part of this...", and a few seconds later had the "duh" moment!

jjjdavidson wrote:It's not a bad download; I got several copies over the hour and they're all identical.
Could be a corrupt original file, which the other programs silently repair for you. Try re-saving it in your other programs (without making any changes) and see if the file remains identical.

Jose

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 10, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
marchlight wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
KarMann wrote:

I hate you.

I like tartar sauce as well for fries and fish. But to say it is better than ketchup is just wrong. I would say they are on equal grounds. If you agree then I shall spare you of being hit with cooked meat.

Edit: I love listening to techno... yes I know random, but I just felt like tossing that out there.

The best thing for dipping fries in is chocolate shake.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 10, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

lONG jump...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 10, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
marchlight wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
KarMann wrote:

I hate you.

The best thing for dipping fries in is chocolate shake.

Now that I am not so sure about, Red Robins spicy ranch sauce is pretty awesome! Plus you cant just dip in any old chocolate shake, some (like McD's) are going to turn out horrendous.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri May 10, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
thirds wrote:
buffygirl wrote:I am not accepting new hat requests.

Can I have an old hat?

NO! :evil:

I'm willing to supply you with a slightly used hat, from Bartholomew Cubbins.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”