1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bmonk » Fri May 10, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Caffeinatedmaplebaconlollipops might be a suitable alternative...

That looks ... horrible. :shock: Something must be wrong with the Outside if it contains such things. I'm never leaving the safe environment of the OTT anymore.

StratPlayer wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Apologies to anyone that tried to view my site and got a 503. For some reason my app pool crashed. Restarted it and I'm running again. Will check the logs tonight.
Also, sorry that the user pages are so slow. I will see what optimizations I can make there.

The fora servers took a dump (technical term for FUBAR'd) earlier -- your app relies on them, so your site might have suffered some collateral damage...

Either that, or Kieryn actually caused the forum downtime. And probably also caused the newpix duplication somehow. ;)

Could be! Maybe his app crashed and kept hammering the fora servers in a looping DoS attack, and it caused a quantum memory-core cascading bit-flux that rippled back to GLR's server, duplicating the existing newpix and rehashing it through a cross-modal time distortion.

It could happen...

Not yet .. at least from my site. I'm still on manual data updates for now. I only hit the fora servers once a day or so, when I'm home1, and only the past 50 NP's or so.

1[Heresy]After 8pm Eastern2[/Heresy]
2How do you say that in newpix3?
3I guess it would be something like 24 <= (np mod 24) > 20

Hmmmmmm..... Ok, but I'm not 100% convinced. Quantum memory-core cascading bit-fluxes are fluky beasts, and don't always require the affected devices to be on-line at the same time. Solar flares, a hiccup in gravitational density, or a butterfly flapping its wings in China can set them off.

But then you just reverse the polarity of the neutron flux, triplicate the flammability of port, and Set up a quantum flux in the ion field of the positronic server, and you are good to go.

I may watch too much Science fiction...

But how are you going to compensate the fluctuations in the earths magnetic field?

If you set up a stable proton/antiproton field around your flux core, you can induce a temporal singularity which stabilizes gravitational fluxing.

No! You can't use proton/anti-protons unless you recalibrate the farfenugen valve first, and then oscillate the quasi-stabalizing temporal pathways for the induced osmotic Feng-shuei effect!

Sheesh... You want to blow us all to smithereens?!?!

It's actually quite simple so long as you stabilize the magnetoferric field using a plasma injunction from the Inverse Schwartzchild generator. Of course, It can only be accessed using a 3 quarters flagel nut, 45 CCs of mimmoth grease, and tuning fork in the key of G flat.

I find that using a spindizzy and a well-focused Bethe blaster does adequately, and gives much faster access.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

unreal37

Postby unreal37 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

Interesting that Megan slid intentionally, and sliding left a visible groove in the land.

Supports the theory that they are walking on something sandy or soft. But also true that they have not been seen struggling to walk, so it's not that sandy or soft. Definitely not paved or rocky.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 10, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
SBN wrote:The best thing for dipping fries in is chocolate shake.

Now that I am not so sure about, Red Robins spicy ranch sauce is pretty awesome! Plus you cant just dip in any old chocolate shake, some (like McD's) are going to turn out horrendous.

It is necessary to have both fries and shake of sufficient quality, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the taster.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 10, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

Definitely some kind of soft material. But wouldn't she have made a deeper dent if it were a sand dune?

Edit: pretty impressive how Cueball can stand perfectly still on one leg while turning his head.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

A bit outdated, but in order to recover my dignity I have updated my composite for frame 1243.
riverwalk 1243.png
Crescat tempus; vita excolatur

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 10, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Now that I am not so sure about, Red Robins spicy ranch sauce is pretty awesome! Plus you cant just dip in any old chocolate shake, some (like McD's) are going to turn out horrendous.

It is necessary to have both fries and shake of sufficient quality, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the taster.

We should get white lab coats and do some SCIENCE :!: :!: :!:
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 10, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

Y'all amateurs need to go back to Turbo- Academy

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Caffeinatedmaplebaconlollipops might be a suitable alternative...

That looks ... horrible. :shock: Something must be wrong with the Outside if it contains such things. I'm never leaving the safe environment of the OTT anymore.

StratPlayer wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Apologies to anyone that tried to view my site and got a 503. For some reason my app pool crashed. Restarted it and I'm running again. Will check the logs tonight.
Also, sorry that the user pages are so slow. I will see what optimizations I can make there.

The fora servers took a dump (technical term for FUBAR'd) earlier -- your app relies on them, so your site might have suffered some collateral damage...

Either that, or Kieryn actually caused the forum downtime. And probably also caused the newpix duplication somehow. ;)

Could be! Maybe his app crashed and kept hammering the fora servers in a looping DoS attack, and it caused a quantum memory-core cascading bit-flux that rippled back to GLR's server, duplicating the existing newpix and rehashing it through a cross-modal time distortion.

It could happen...

Not yet .. at least from my site. I'm still on manual data updates for now. I only hit the fora servers once a day or so, when I'm home1, and only the past 50 NP's or so.

1[Heresy]After 8pm Eastern2[/Heresy]
2How do you say that in newpix3?
3I guess it would be something like 24 <= (np mod 24) > 20

Hmmmmmm..... Ok, but I'm not 100% convinced. Quantum memory-core cascading bit-fluxes are fluky beasts, and don't always require the affected devices to be on-line at the same time. Solar flares, a hiccup in gravitational density, or a butterfly flapping its wings in China can set them off.

But then you just reverse the polarity of the neutron flux, triplicate the flammability of port, and Set up a quantum flux in the ion field of the positronic server, and you are good to go.

I may watch too much Science fiction...

But how are you going to compensate the fluctuations in the earths magnetic field?

If you set up a stable proton/antiproton field around your flux core, you can induce a temporal singularity which stabilizes gravitational fluxing.

No! You can't use proton/anti-protons unless you recalibrate the farfenugen valve first, and then oscillate the quasi-stabalizing temporal pathways for the induced osmotic Feng-shuei effect!

Sheesh... You want to blow us all to smithereens?!?!

How could you forget the Tympanic Oscillation Stabilization membranes? You have to change them every 5 days, or the acousti-temporal flux won't oscillate in a quasi-stabilized fashion at all!

jjjdavidson wrote:
pelrigg wrote:she's onging
Spoiler:

I think this is the Python: import antigravity

Funnily enough, putting that in a python interpreter will open that comic in your web browser of choice.

Eutychus wrote:
jovialbard wrote:For a second I thought you guys were playing Spaceteam.

Also, jumping includes falling, and I would guess she's in the falling half of the jumping.

Insert HHG "throwing yourself at the ground and missing" quote here.

There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Pick a nice day, it suggests, and try it.
The first part is easy.
All it requires is simply the ability to throw yourself forward with all your weight, and the willingness not to mind that it's going to hurt.
That is, it's going to hurt if you fail to miss the ground.

...And so on. I have the complete edition, all 5 books (plus the short story) in one volume :D

I think it's safe to say that Megan wasn't entirely committed to throwing herself at the ground. I mean look how she landed, if she was doing it right she would have landed flat on her face (unless something had distracted her, like suddenly seeing La Petite materialize on the ground below)

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 10, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Image
Definitely some kind of soft material. But wouldn't she have made a deeper dent if it were a sand dune?

Edit: pretty impressive how Cueball can stand perfectly still on one leg while turning his head.

My connection sometimes gives a hiccup between the previous newpix and the new newpix; and did it on the last two frames (1242 & 1243). And I thought "Gee, that would make a neato gif. If only I knew how." Then you go and make one neato keen gif of the whole thing. Thanks.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri May 10, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
Has anyone else seen anything (technically) peculiar about image 96a752b8ee5888ae4dca92febbc29359dc7d42b7932a9edc4cb09161695088c5.png (frame 1235)? I can open it without any problem in most places, including FF, GIMP, and MS Paint, but my elderly copy of Paint Shop Pro dies instantly when exposed to it, something I've never seen before. It's not a bad download; I got several copies over the hour and they're all identical.

(Prolly just coincidence that it's the frame before the duplicate 1236/1237 frames.)

Paint Shop Pro, that brings back memories... I used that last century before it got bloated, and then sold to Corel.

Anyway, I can't see anything peculiar about frame 1235. Looks structurally just the same as other frames.
pnginfo tells me:
Spoiler:
Image Width: 553 Image Length: 395
Bitdepth (Bits/Sample): 8
Channels (Samples/Pixel): 1
Pixel depth (Pixel Depth): 8
Colour Type (Photometric Interpretation): GRAYSCALE
Image filter: Single row per byte filter
Interlacing: No interlacing
Compression Scheme: Deflate method 8, 32k window
Resolution: 45354, 45354 (pixels per meter)
FillOrder: msb-to-lsb
Byte Order: Network (Big Endian)
Number of text strings: 0 of 0
which is identical to the frame before it.

Thanks! You're one of my gurus of graphics in the OTT, and my copy is identical to your saved copy, so it's probably just an undiscovered PSP bug. (Last century, indeed - It's PSP 4 from 1996. [I tried 7 and 9, and didn't like either of them. Bloated, as you say.] I'm running it on my dinosaur box, an old Win 2000 I also use for WordPerfect 5.1 [also pre-Corel] and antique games.)

ETA: Cool GIF. I hadn't even noticed the gouge she left until you animated the whole leap.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 10, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I think it's safe to say that Megan wasn't entirely committed to throwing herself at the ground. I mean look how she landed, if she was doing it right she would have landed flat on her face (unless something had distracted her, like suddenly seeing La Petite materialize on the ground below)

In that case, as readers of Douglas Adams' trilogy in five⁶ parts will know, she would have learned how to fly.

⁶: Didn't count (or read) the 6th one by Eoin Colfer.
Last edited by mscha on Fri May 10, 2013 10:45 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 10, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:I think it's safe to say that Megan wasn't entirely committed to throwing herself at the ground. I mean look how she landed, if she was doing it right she would have landed flat on her face (unless something had distracted her, like suddenly seeing La Petite materialize on the ground below)

In that case, as readers of Douglas Adams will know, she would have learned how to fly.

Had that occurred, Cueball would be unlikely to say anything helpful. He probably would have said something along the lines of "Good God, you can't possibly be flying!" And of course when flying, it is vitally important not to believe that or it will suddenly be right.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 10, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
mscha wrote:

In that case, as readers of Douglas Adams will know, she would have learned how to fly.

Had that occurred, Cueball would be unlikely to say anything helpful. He probably would have said something along the lines of "Good Randall¹, you can't possibly be flying!" And of course when flying, it is vitally important not to believe that or it will suddenly be right.

I don't think Megan would have had any trouble disbelieving Cueball...

¹: FTFY
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

edfel

Postby edfel » Fri May 10, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

Copernicium112 wrote:A bit outdated, but in order to recover my dignity I have updated my composite for frame 1243.
riverwalk 1243.png

Your dignity is completely recovered :)
With the frame where they are looking from the cliff into the water (cliff height ~= 7q), we can estimate that the dune/hill/stack of potatoes/cake they are currently on is 15q high. Time to see how low is the river compared to them now...
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

edo

Postby edo » Fri May 10, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

~ʤØÑĢ~Image
Spoiler:
fixed broken link wierdness
Last edited by edo on Fri May 10, 2013 11:10 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 10, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

Well, as my great-grandfather used to say, "ong."
Spoiler:
Image.

I- Come on. Grab what you need. We're running out of time.
Z- Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite. Zathras is finite. This is... wrong tool. No. Not good. No. Never use this

Edit
ninja'd, I think (I don't see an image)
Edit 2
(yes I see it now. You sir, have the ninja)
Last edited by pelrigg on Fri May 10, 2013 11:15 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Fri May 10, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
mathrec wrote:It has been a while since I've tormented you with a puzzle! :twisted:

This one has another special message embedded. You have to solve the puzzle to find out what is special about this post. (Only this community would understand.) ;-)

I don't think I've said it yet -- Thank You, mathrec, for the honor!!! I did not solve it myself (I am terrible at sudoku), but from the solutions provided by others, it looks like it's either directly or indirectly about the work I do here on the thread. WOOT!

Would you like a hat?

*jaw drops*

I would be honored. I'll confess that I selected an avatar when I realized that I'd couldn't even request a hat without one.

I've been following this thread since the first few newpices. I've missed a few NP, but to the best of my knowledge, no one has ever been offered a hat without having first made a request.

Thank you, yes, I gratefully accept the offered services of the newly appointed Vatican Milliner.

Edit: corrected my tense
Last edited by mathrec on Sat May 11, 2013 3:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 10, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

edo wrote:ninja'd ex post facto

pelrigg wrote:ninja'd, I think (I don't see an image)

Well, one of you needs to post an unspoilered newpix...
Edit: never mind...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 10, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

edo, that was a spot of weirdness, my connection to the Site took over a minute to refresh. And then your ninja post was blank (saw the white letters) for several minutes. It even caused the forum page to re-load slowly.
Wow, are we ever getting a bunch of "outside" wackiness going on. Same newpix appearing multiple times in one "day", duplicate newpix, slow servers. Someone said something about a solar flare????????

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 10, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:edo, that was a spot of weirdness, my connection to the Site took over a minute to refresh. And then your ninja post was blank (saw the white letters) for several minutes. It even caused the forum page to re-load slowly.
Wow, are we ever getting a bunch of "outside" wackiness going on. Same newpix appearing multiple times in one "day", duplicate newpix, slow servers. Someone said something about a solar flare????????

Nah, some amateur in this thread forgot to stabilize the inverse thermomechanical regulator diodes on the spermatogenitive stimulant infanticide apparatus. It started overheating, so we had to put it on ice.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 10, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

mscha - that is a very cool little animation! Thank you!

Edit: spoilered image
Last edited by buffygirl on Fri May 10, 2013 11:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Fri May 10, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
mscha wrote:Image

Excellent job!
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 10, 2013 11:38 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
mathrec wrote:It has been a while since I've tormented you with a puzzle! :twisted:

This one has another special message embedded. You have to solve the puzzle to find out what is special about this post. (Only this community would understand.) ;-)

I don't think I've said it yet -- Thank You, mathrec, for the honor!!! I did not solve it myself (I am terrible at sudoku), but from the solutions provided by others, it looks like it's either directly or indirectly about the work I do here on the thread. WOOT!

Would you like a hat?

*jaw drops*

I would be honored. I'll confess that I selected an avatar when I realized that I'd couldn't even request a hat without one.

I've been following this thread since the first few newpices. I've missed a few NP, but to the best of my knowledge, no one has ever been offered a hat without having first made a request.

Thank you, yes, I gratefully accepted the offered services of the newly appointed Vatican Milliner.

As I told Valarya earlier, hats have been bestowed as a surprise when none has been requested. However, I believe you are correct that I have not ever offered one in the thread in this manner.

Note: I don't need an avatar in order to create a hat! Also, please PM me with a sentence or two about yourself (but not about hats).

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 10, 2013 11:42 pm UTC

For descor
descor-hat-s.png
descor-hat-s.png (41.07 KiB) Viewed 12851 times

descor.jpg
descor.jpg (8.34 KiB) Viewed 12851 times

EDIT: placed images inline instead.
Last edited by buffygirl on Sat May 11, 2013 1:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 10, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
pelrigg wrote:edo, that was a spot of weirdness, my connection to the Site took over a minute to refresh. And then your ninja post was blank (saw the white letters) for several minutes. It even caused the forum page to re-load slowly.

Nah, some amateur in this thread forgot to stabilize the inverse thermomechanical regulator diodes on the spermatogenitive stimulant infanticide apparatus. It started overheating, so we had to put it on ice.

Anything to keep the Frankensteian primordial ooze from getting into the phlebotinum nano-sphere and purging the entire system. Think of all those orphaned pixels.

vvn

Ramp

Postby vvn » Fri May 10, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

hill.png
hill.png (5.31 KiB) Viewed 12829 times

After a long climb, it's all worth it.

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 10, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
Spoiler:
htom wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
htom wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
azule wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Actually I'm older than that. <snip/> Sept. 1960 <snip/>

Did you happen to get to see Hendrix live? :D

No, (darn it), but I did wear out "Are You Experienced?" and bought the original "Live At Monterey" (w/ Otis Redding) albums (as in vinyl) while he was still alive.

Yes. Totally worth it, even though I don't remember much of it. Stevie Ray Vaughan could come close, if he was in the right mental state.

Let's see... late high school, early college; 1969,-70,71; can't remember much of a Hendrix concert except that you were there... not making any guesses about your altitude ... but .... I grok....

SRV doing "Little Wing"; almost thought it was a lost tape of "the man with the guitar"

Oh yes. Graduated from high school in '65, and the next decade became mostly fuzzy. The parts I do remember are either fantastic or terrifying -- or both.

You know, I can practically hear the young'uns rolling their eyes while us old fogies (fogeys?) reminisce. Soo...
And now a word from our sponsor:

Artichoke

Ah, the hours spent at the board and microphone. Midnight Madness, when we'd go format-free for two hours, until 6am on Saturday and Sunday. The hassle of constantly checking that people were filling out the logs correctly. The hatred of The Association's "Cherish" (a great little song, but when you get 273 dedication requests for it in one hour -- we eventually limited it to being played once every three hours, and then without dedications, to great wailing from listeners.) Anyway, that's it from WKME 820, broadcasting from the basement of Shaw Hall, feeding the MSN Radio Network Midnight Madness. Stay tuned for ABC News 55 [ABC news sting] [click] Someone has to take the next two intros? I gotta hit the head. [click]
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Re: Ramp

Postby Opiboble » Sat May 11, 2013 12:03 am UTC

vvn wrote:
hill.png

After a long climb, it's all worth it.

Haha, nice!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

edo

Postby edo » Sat May 11, 2013 12:04 am UTC

Image ong
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 11, 2013 12:15 am UTC

edo wrote:
Spoiler:
ong

I think this pretty much confirms there's stuff between the stuff that's visible in each newpix. No way the hills make that much of a crease, IMO. I mean, possibly, but it'd be really weird.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 11, 2013 12:17 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Well, thank Randall, He did most of the work. ;)

I believe the leading theory is that it's BlitzGirl's absence that's causing all of this.
Last edited by mscha on Sat May 11, 2013 12:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat May 11, 2013 12:20 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
edo wrote:
Spoiler:
ong

I think this pretty much confirms there's stuff between the stuff that's visible in each newpix. No way the hills make that much of a crease, IMO. I mean, possibly, but it'd be really weird.

Yeah for sure.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 11, 2013 12:22 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
edo wrote:
Spoiler:
ong

Yeah, they've been going into the vale between each rise and here they've just "jump-cut" across. Unless somehow The GLR is going to move things around from that last repeat. As in, move the cresting and Megan's slide and then add the bottom of the dip.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 11, 2013 12:27 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
edo wrote:
Spoiler:
ong

I agree with you that it's unlikely, but if you stick 'em together, you get this:
Spoiler:

Doesnt' look that much different from earlier valleys:
Spoiler:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 11, 2013 12:31 am UTC

mscha wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
edo wrote:
Spoiler:
ong

I agree with you that it's unlikely, but if you stick 'em together, you get this:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

There you go, ruining our fun with *facts*

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:33 am UTC

mscha wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
edo wrote:
Spoiler:
ong

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

It also doesn't look so strange on the macro level. I could see it going both ways, and I am inclined to believe that it is adjacent (as in, no stuff left out) because the vast majority of frames so far have fit perfectly. Could be wishful thinking, though.
Attachments
riverwalk 1245.png
Crescat tempus; vita excolatur

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:37 am UTC

BlitzPost for NP 585(ish)-587 (alas, I have to ketchup on the others at a later time, I have Outside duties):
Davidy wrote:
Spoiler:

This is pretty cool. cmyk used to have a title, but I forget what it was (there was something that implied image-manips that he had before he was named Chronomancer). I move that someone else try to remember what said title was, and that we give it to Davidy now that cmyk's gone.

StratPlayer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
jetpac wrote:And... I'm back in the present! Woohoo! Oh wow, I like what you've done with the place. It's kind of unfortunate that my workday will be over in another 10 minutes or so, and then my brother's getting married this weekend. I'm gonna fall behind again in no time. Oh welll...

(Maybe I shouldn't refer to my brother getting married as "unfortunate")

Odd, one of my friend's brothers has their wedding this weekend. Had a little StratPlayer moment there...

*nods head knowingly*

See? It's ALL related...

Oh you :P

If the wedding's in North Carolina, we may be only two degrees of separation away. Which provokes an interesting thought. I wonder if I've ever talked to someone anonymously online, and we knew each other (or almost knew each other) in the Outside but didn't realize it?
See now I'm all paranoid.

mscha wrote:
Selcouth wrote:....what's a peltmonger

A random word containing “ong” in /usr/share/dict/american-english-huge. ;)

¹: FTFY

I notice how you've increased your sample size tremendously. I like it.
I wonder what percentage of your posts are from the newpixbot? They're still your posts (creating a separate account just for the newpixbot is kind of a violation of forum rules), but it would be interesting to know.
EDIT: Blindpost gets me Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customership! Woo!
How fitting.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat May 11, 2013 12:45 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:If the wedding's in North Carolina, we may be only two degrees of separation away. Which provokes an interesting thought. I wonder if I've ever talked to someone anonymously online, and we knew each other (or almost knew each other) in the Outside but didn't realize it?

Should we come up with a code phrase?
I did once encounter someone in an online group and we found out that we had once vacationed at the same gathering. Both the online group and the gathering were dog related so it wasn't that much of a stretch, but it was an interesting coincidence.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 11, 2013 12:50 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:I notice how you've increased your sample size tremendously. I like it.

Yup, from 135 to 1062. Should decrease the chance of duplicates quite a bit.
HAL9000 wrote:I wonder what percentage of your posts are from the newpixbot? They're still your posts (creating a separate account just for the newpixbot is kind of a violation of forum rules), but it would be interesting to know.

63 newpixbot posts, out of 605 (including this one), that's 10.4%.
I considered creating a separate newpixbot account, but the moderation of the first post, plus the lack of URL posting rights for 5 posts, are a bot¹ of a problem.

¹: typo, honest!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat May 11, 2013 12:52 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:
Selcouth wrote:....what's a peltmonger?
A random word containing “ong” in /usr/share/dict/american-english-huge. ;)

I notice how you've increased your sample size tremendously. I like it.
I wonder what percentage of your posts are from the newpixbot? They're still your posts (creating a separate account just for the newpixbot is kind of a violation of forum rules), but it would be interesting to know.

Have you forgotten? We're nearly all postbots here. Sentient postbots, in some (alleged) cases:
On Newpage 548, cellocgw wrote:
Dracomax wrote:so...has anyone figured out yet at what point the number of people blitzposting will outnumber the number of people currentposting?

My guess, based entirely on a refusal to collect the easily findable data, is that in about 150 Timeframes, the then-current newpage will be composed entirely of people posting signposts from the past.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but the whole thing is a setup. With the exception of you (Dracomax) and me (and I'm not quite sure about me, actually), all the posts are generated with a collection of postbots Randall repurposed from his bigcoin mining toolset. All you real-people browsers out there: don't try to post or you will be assimilated!

──────────────
SBN wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I wonder if I've ever talked to someone anonymously online, and we knew each other (or almost knew each other) in the Outside but didn't realize it?

Should we come up with a code phrase?

I thought we already had one.
Spoiler:
"Wait for it."
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat May 11, 2013 12:55 am UTC

Pudding? No, wait that's fish fingers.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”