1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 12, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
Pikrass wrote:Back from speedblitzing!¹

¹ that is, blitzing by skipping and skimming through some posts. :oops:

I do that too, quite a bit. :oops: :)

:| That might be quick ketchup, but I would hesitate to call it blitzing if you are not reading it all.

Some causes for the OTT slowdown might include the confluence of special Outside occasions these xips (at least in the U.S.) including Mother's Day, high school proms, and graduations followed by parties of all shapes and sizes. These threw me so far out of my normal stride that I ended up in Moscow, Idaho, so I would not be surprised if similar catastrophe has struck many of our fellow thread-dwellers.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun May 12, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

[Scene 2: exterior - dawn]
Fade in to reveal the sunrise behind some mostly barren hills, which are still covered in morning mist. The air is still, and the sound of the sea is heard, far away but ever present. The camera pans right to reveal three large tents, and we see two clerical figures conversing animatedly.
first cleric wrote:We cannot have the ceremony here; that is preposterous. Listen to the sea!

second cleric wrote:We are high enough here. The sea cannot reach us.

first cleric wrote:The sea can do anything it wants! Have you already forgotten the last time?

[close up] on second cleric. We can now see that it is the Pope of the Holy Contradiction himself. He is deep in thought.
the Pope wrote:Yes, I remember. It was tragic. But we will never escape the sea. We can only live with it. We must do what we must do.

The matter settled, the Pope turns away and walks off. The first cleric catches up to him as the camera follows.
first cleric wrote:There is also the matter of... how shall I put it... this BlitzGirl you wish to honor. I don't see how we can do this. It goes against everything we believe in.

the Pope, stopping and turning sharply towards him, wrote:... and just what do we believe in?

The cleric is silent.
the Pope wrote:There is but one commandment. "Wait for it". There is no other.

first cleric wrote:But you refuse to wait for it. You want to have the commemoration here, now. And you're crowning another patriarch!
Spoiler:
the Pope wrote:Oh, so that's it. I ask you, did Flado not have a Great Chasm in his soul?

first cleric wrote:Yes, he did... from the One True Comic.

the Pope wrote:Did he not embark on a Sacred Quest to fill this gap by drinking from the One True Thread?

first cleric wrote:Yes, he admitted to that himself.

the Pope wrote:has he not completed his Quest? Is he not verily now in the Present?

first cleric wrote:Yes, he is here. But...

the Pope wrote:But what?

The mist is now gone, and the pope is lit full on by the rising sun. He turns and grasps the cleric by the shoulder.
the Pope wrote:He has fulfilled the requirements and is a BlitzGirl. This is a most Glorious thing, and must not go unnoticed.

first cleric wrote:But he is... of the other faith!

the Pope wrote:Yes, it does seem a little contradictory that the Pope of the Holy Contradiction is canonizing the Undisputed Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church. But he's retired.

first cleric wrote:... and if he weren't retired, would that be a paradox?

the Pope, after thinking a moment, wrote:Yes, and no.

[cut to: exterior, early evening] Wide shot of the hillsides. They are mostly barren; loose gravel of some sort. The sea is in the distance. The sound of a distant ram's horn is heard. As if in response, we hear a similar call from the left. The camera pulls back a bit to reveal the back of the head of a herald, who puts a ram's horn to his lips sounds the call. The camera continues to pan back and we see that we are on the highest hill, and gathered below us are throngs of people, waiting for it in eager anticipation. The Pope and his First Cleric climb the few feet that lie between them and the crest of the hill, and turn to address the crowd.
the Pope, in a voice that fills the wilderness, wrote:Behold, behind you, the sea. The sea is great, and big, and does what it wants. We are nothing next to it, but that does not mean that we are nothing. For the sea itself is made of tiny drops, each of which is also nothing next to the sea, but they make up the sea.

Each new dix is nothing next to the enormity of time, but each dix is our dix, and we can do with it what we want. How we spend our dix defines who we are. Our Flado has chosen to spend his dix in Holy Quest, and we are gathered here to recognize and honor him for his Great Deed.

There is a rushing sound, as if from the sea, and the whole of the congregation instinctively turns to look. But the sea is as it always was. The first cleric goes up to the Pope.
first cleric wrote:Watch what you say. I don't want another disaster.

The crowd turns back to the podium, where a bird is now flying overhead. There is a gasp, and the Pope looks up.
the Pope, continuing, wrote:In our lives, sometimes we leave signposts. Sometimes we see signs.

He gestures towards the bird.
the Pope wrote:This day we commemorate and celebrate Flado, who by virtue of completing a Holy BlitzQuest, is to be recognized as a True and Worthy BlitzGirl.

And so it is on this day that we are ourselves graced with a sign - the very symbol of flight, of freedom, of vision, that blesses our Flado and his Quest.

Flado, I bid you rise, and kneel.

Flado comes forward from the front of the crowd. He has been Waiting For It!
the Pope wrote:Flado, in honor of your having been with the One True Thread since its early days, yet having felt the Great Chasm and embarked on a most Holy and Glorious Quest of Fulfillment, and in doing so, having thusly and properly experienced Time in its own time, by the power vested in me as Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction and through the witness of the Great First Bird above, do I hereby consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title of BlitzGirl the Next, that it be known for all Time and for all of time that you have truly and properly Waited For It.

The herald sounds the ram's horn again, and over each of the hilltops, the sound is carried and echoed throughout the land. There is great cheering from the crowds, and the banners are waved up and down and left and right in curvy fashions, so as to not release raptors. The crowd carries Flado away in grand celebration, and as it gets underway, the first cleric rushes up to the Pope and says
first cleric wrote:How could you have done this?? A Contradiction blessing a Paradox! It is heresy!

the Pope wrote:Heresy, you say? Look up in the sky and tell me what sign you see?

first cleric wrote:It is a bird, your pontiffness.

the Pope wrote:Yes, a bird. And out of that bird comes enlightenment. Continue to look up, close your eyes, and wait for it.

He didn't have to wait long.

Jose

<--previous (NP 539) / table of contents (on xkcd wiki) / next(NP 609)-->
Last edited by ucim on Fri May 24, 2013 5:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 12, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
TheMinim wrote:

:| That might be quick ketchup, but I would hesitate to call it blitzing if you are not reading it all.

Some causes for the OTT slowdown might include the confluence of special Outside occasions these xips (at least in the U.S.) including Mother's Day, high school proms, and graduations followed by parties of all shapes and sizes. These threw me so far out of my normal stride that I ended up in Moscow, Idaho, so I would not be surprised if similar catastrophe has struck many of our fellow thread-dwellers.

:mrgreen: Partying so hard you ended up in Moscow, Idaho? That's way to party, girl. :mrgreen:

Edit
I come back from the typing and find ucim has conducted a Ceremony.
Let me welcome Flado; BiltzGirl the Next. Well done, well done. (or do you like medium-rare?)

Edit 2 fixed sum speling
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun May 12, 2013 5:18 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sun May 12, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

ucim wrote:awesome play is awesome
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun May 12, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
TheMinim wrote:

Arthur James Balfour wrote:“He has only half learned the art of reading who has not added to it the more refined art of skipping and skimming.”

Although it is probably a quick ketchup rather than blitzing, I guess, it's just I was reminded of that quote suddenly.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 12, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

Ong while gOne

edit
beat the newpixbot by "that much"

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun May 12, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

Up and up a hill, which basically describes how I get home everyday. :D
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sun May 12, 2013 5:13 pm UTC

Back from my weekend of Outside stuff. Only 6 newpages to ketchup? I like the slow OTT weekends. :D

Have I been proven right that they're HILLS, not Sand Dunes, yet? Guess I'll find out in a mini-blitz!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

htom

Postby htom » Sun May 12, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:You know, I have always wondered about the old song Bang - A Boomerang, since boomerangs don't go "bang". But after reading this thread, I understand that the text refers to a dilgunerang.

Or maybe an ordinary C4-boomerang.

Poorly punctuated, perhaps.

So give it away, I think you’ll learn
You’ll get love in return
So bang! a boom, a boomerang is love
A boom, a boomerang is love

Love given returns, sometimes unexpectedly, sometimes painfully, sometimes playfully, always though, it's love. Boomerangs will hit you in the head with a bang if you throw them properly and don't duck. Perhaps that's improper throwing? Yes, I'm htom, and I'm an ABBAholic. And a Parrothead, and a bunch of other music groupie things.

... All you see, are silhouettes. All you hear, are castanets. And no one cares how late it gets. Not at Hernando's Hideaway ole! ... Knock three times, and whisper low, that you and I, were sent by Joe. Youtube movie link.

mscha :laughing at Dilbert: You had Os? We only had holes!

My wife and I are horrible at backing up our own data. She's saved me more than once, and I've returned the favor. We've both started using USB flash drives, not as back ups, but as primary drives, and copying them frequently.

When they saw the flying thing, they turned back for a newpix, and then resumed. Did we pass the headwaters of the river, and are now on the other side of a watershed divide?

Talked to Mom, she's fine, wanted to know what silliness I'm up to today. I told her about the OTC and the OTT. She has the nicest laugh.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 12, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:beat the newpixbot by "that much"

By about 55 secon... um, I mean, about 1½ centinewpix, to be precise.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sun May 12, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Have I been proven right that they're HILLS, not Sand Dunes, yet? Guess I'll find out in a mini-blitz!

Looks like I was proven wrong evidenced by the fact Megan got sand in her hair and had to shake it out when she fell. Dunes they be. :|
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 12, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
pelrigg wrote:beat the newpixbot by "that much"

By about 55 secon... um, I mean, about 1½ centinewpix, to be precise.

There's been closer, I'm sure. (Going to ceremonies and parties, and suddenly, a look at the pocket watch: "I'm late. I'm late. I'm late for a very important date.")

tenofzero

Postby tenofzero » Sun May 12, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
tenofzero wrote:I'll be honest, Id id not read the entire thread, so maybe this was answered or speculated upon already.
But I wonder how long this has been planned/drawn ?
Since XKCD started ... 2 years ... someone has Randal in a basement somewhere tied to a desk where he is drawing these in real time ?

Well, most of the time there isn't much change between frames, so he's probably just editing the previous one to make the new one. This was pretty much proven when for several frames, the elevation changes between each were visibly a different color than the normal black.
Also, by looking at the creation/modification dates, he's been drawing them and uploading them in chunks.

Actually, to refine that a bit, I'd think he's almost certainly doing each series of similar frames as a single file native to the graphics program he's using (e.g. *.psd if PhotoShop, *.xcf if GIMP), with at least one layer for the basic background, and then at least one layer for each of the frames that take place against that same background. Then, hide the layers for the other frames, export it to PNG, hide that layer and unhide another one, etc. Scene change, maybe do a new file, definitely new background, lather, rinse, repeat.

Thanks for the answer's everyone ! :-)
I would love to join in the chat, but it goes by far too fast and I have a huge exam (CFA Level II) on June 1st, if we are still running after then, I'll join the fun for sure... but I'll need a hat !

edfel

Postby edfel » Sun May 12, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Valarya wrote:Have I been proven right that they're HILLS, not Sand Dunes, yet? Guess I'll find out in a mini-blitz!

Looks like I was proven wrong evidenced by the fact Megan got sand in her hair and had to shake it out when she fell. Dunes they be. :|

I've been trying to find out if these were really the right size and shape for sand dunes or not (I heard somewhere that there was a "stable" shape with given angles, etc.). In particular I found them a bit too symmetrical: the slope is the same windward and, er, counter-windward.
All I found is this kind of digital simulation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPTN9Iuz2Fg
Anyone's got a link to a scientific paper showing that the dunes we see here actually happen in real life?
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Sun May 12, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Hmm, the bird is apparently unusual enough to Cueball and Megan to have held their attention for a while.

Which doesn't necessarily means birds in general are rare. Maybe this is a rare black one, while white ones constantly fill the sky.

I'm surprised no one jumped on this comment while I was coma'ing. As I was ketching up, I thought the exact same thing. . .if there have been white birds all along, how would we have known? Maybe this is just the first instance of a black bird.

Maybe that's why the sea tastes so bad. It isn't water, it's accumulated poop from the thousands of white birds flying nonstop overhead.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Platonix

Postby Platonix » Sun May 12, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
Valarya wrote:

I've been trying to find out if these were really the right size and shape for sand dunes or not (I heard somewhere that there was a "stable" shape with given angles, etc.). In particular I found them a bit too symmetrical: the slope is the same windward and, er, counter-windward.
All I found is this kind of digital simulation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPTN9Iuz2Fg
Anyone's got a link to a scientific paper showing that the dunes we see here actually happen in real life?

I forget, have we seen any evidence for which direction is windward? Wouldn't sand dunes look symmetric if seen from exactly up- or down-wind?
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sun May 12, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:I've just noticed that soon we'll be on our 600th page. Wow. :o :o :o

ETA - don't you just love coincidences? Have some more fudge:

Spoiler:

... but I read your post at the top of page 600. Looks like you got post-post bumped into what once was post-popery.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 12, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

rolling a-ong

been said I know

Edit no...I'm not trying to get the most "ong"s in a 24 newpix time frame, but we can't get lazy and rely on the newpixbot, now can we?
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun May 12, 2013 6:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun May 12, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

I can't believe you people. It's a raptor, sillies! :roll:

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun May 12, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
TheMinim wrote:I've just noticed that soon we'll be on our 600th page. Wow. :o :o :o

ETA - don't you just love coincidences? Have some more fudge:

Spoiler:

... but I read your post at the top of page 600. Looks like you got post-post bumped into what once was post-popery.

I wrote that, then looked back at it and saw that it didn't have a post above it, and that we were on page 600. Which is why I edited and added a point about coincidences and then some fudge.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun May 12, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

edfel wrote:I've been trying to find out if these were really the right size and shape for sand dunes or not (I heard somewhere that there was a "stable" shape with given angles, etc.). In particular I found them a bit too symmetrical: the slope is the same windward and, er, counter-windward.

Steepest a sand dune can be is called the angle of repose.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 12, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

hey TheMinim look at your post count and the page number hint

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun May 12, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:I can't believe you people. It's a raptor, sillies! :roll:

Raptors and birds share a common ancestor. So it is just a matter of figuring out in which time period this comic is set in.

edfel

Postby edfel » Sun May 12, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

Platonix wrote:
edfel wrote:
Valarya wrote:

I forget, have we seen any evidence for which direction is windward? Wouldn't sand dunes look symmetric if seen from exactly up- or down-wind?

For the wind direction, I don't think there's any strong evidence, but I assumed they were going against the wind (probably because she said it was going to get windier up there).
But anyway the dunes are supposed to be orthogonal to the wind direction, so they may look symmetric, but not /\-shaped, if seen from up- or down-wind.

edit:
moody7277 wrote:
edfel wrote:I've been trying to find out if these were really the right size and shape for sand dunes or not (I heard somewhere that there was a "stable" shape with given angles, etc.). In particular I found them a bit too symmetrical: the slope is the same windward and, er, counter-windward.

Steepest a sand dune can be is called the angle of repose.

Ok, so with 15-16° they can be made of any material from ashes to malt, clover seeds, or wheat...
Last edited by edfel on Sun May 12, 2013 6:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun May 12, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:hey TheMinim look at your post count and the page number hint

Wow - 99 was a nice number, far better than 100, but yet I shall delve into the binary anyway. :D Can't wait for 111.

HES

Postby HES » Sun May 12, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

If there was no predominant wind direction, could it even out and end up roughly symmetrical? There certainly wasn't any significant castle-destroying wind at the coast. Usually Randall's research is pretty thorough, it would be heretical to suggest ignorance on his part...
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 12, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

Montov wrote:

Raptors and birds share a common ancestor. So it is just a matter of figuring out in which time period this comic is set in.

Some time after the invention of modern English, I'd say, given the dialogue. So, 16th century or later?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun May 12, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

The one thing to remember, other than Our One and Only True Commandment, is that we are watching a place that we have little knowledge of. Just like our two protagonists, we are learning more and more about their universe. And who says it has to be in line with ours?

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun May 12, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

Oh, the irony. A couple of hours after my last contribution to the lengthy discussions about capture scripts and backups, I discovered my own capture script had been sitting in an unwatched window, waiting for a response from me, since 2:02pm local time yesterday. I missed twenty frames. (I've got them now, but out of order.)

I went the entire month of April, I believe, without missing a single frame, and then I do something dumb like that. I missed all the bird frames. Even more ironically, the very first frame I missed was the one where Megan took her tumble - the tumble I predicted. If I'm such a great prophet, you think I'd have seen that coming...

I might not have discovered it for hours more, if waveney hadn't given me something to disagree with, sending me looking for the bird frames:
waveney wrote:As a birder, I think it is a bird of prey - perhap a vulture or kestrel. It is not a small bird, from its wing shape it spends a lot of time flying, and is not a gull. From the first frame I thought it might be a swift, but definately not in the second frame. I think vulture is most likely in the desert.

It's hard to judge how large the bird is, but I don't think it's vulture-sized. In the frame where it's nearly overhead, we're seeing Megan's head from the side, indicating the bird is in the same plane with them, not in the far distance. So it looks to have a wingspan of roughly .3q, not out of line with gulls I've seen. Nor is the wing shape that unlikely, I think. ('m not an ornithologist, but then again, neither is Randall. [I think.])
firstbird.png
Three views of Randall's bird
firstbird.png (4.97 KiB) Viewed 13969 times
Gull.png
A real gull over the Bainbridge Island ferry.
Gull.png (1.98 KiB) Viewed 13969 times

And of course, buffygirl's right. Reality should never get in the way of xkcd logic.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 12, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

@ edfel,
Just looked at your "scene" site, which does look like a movie script beak-down. Your scenes can be a lot more precise than The Book's periods, since you've got a different goal in mind.
Which brings me to looking at the map page again. Yea, I get the route with frame annotations! And when I "toggle annotations" they (anno's) go away like they're suppose to. But, like mscha said, the button doesn't work after that. (close tab & re-open, does though). On the other other-hand, remember I'm one of those pesky IEers, so take this with a few grains of salt. Great job, everybody, click on his links, go look.
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun May 12, 2013 6:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun May 12, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:Can someone help me re: the Hats by Buffygirl page?

I need to insert a couple of rows for some missing hats. How do I do that? Thank you!

I'm posting this again, hoping for some help! Thanks!

edfel

Postby edfel » Sun May 12, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

HES wrote:<snip> it would be heretical to suggest ignorance on his part...

My question was not hether HH Randall was drawing sand dunes right (although I wouldn't say no to a chocolate...), but whether we should be interpreting what we see as sand dunes...

pelrigg wrote:@ edfel,
Just looked at your "scene" site, which does look like a movie script beak-down. Your scenes can be a lot more precise than The Book's periods, since you've got a different goal in mind.
Which brings me to looking at the map page again. Yeah, I get the route with frame annotations! And when I "toggle annotations" they (anno's) go away like they're suppose to. But, like mscha said, the button doesn't after that. (close tab & re-open, does though). On the other other-hand, remember I'm one of those pesky IEers, so take this with a few grains of salt. Great job, everybody, click on his links, go look.

Wow, thanks :)
Simpler than closing tab and re-open you have F5 (maybe I should just do a "reload" instead of actually drawing the annotations back, but that would be er... ugly1).
For the periods I was planning to match them, or make them appear in some way, but I'm waiting for them to be settled first.

1hey! that's what "if[IE]"s are for :)

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun May 12, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:

I need to insert a couple of rows for some missing hats. How do I do that? Thank you!

I'd be happy to help, but I'm about to be AFK for a few hours. I'll look at it when I get back...
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 12, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:

It's easier than it looks. ;)
Just right-click on a row, then choose Row / Insert Row After (or Before).
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun May 12, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:

I inserted some rows now (hope I did it right, didn't read the fine manual).
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

htom

Postby htom » Sun May 12, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:

I'm not sure. It looks like it's not really a table as such, just a series of inserted things spaced out. Maybe click on Edit at the head of the section of the page, then click on "source" outside the box of the page you're given. It looks like five lines of text you need to copy and paste, changing the names.

Or better, follow mscha's instructions!
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sun May 12, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

A swallow, I say. But european or african?
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 12, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

Take a break ong

edit
Kieryn said "a swallow"?
edit 2
(Back counting) Did I bottom out page 600 and do 24000Th post?????
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun May 12, 2013 7:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 12, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:

That's perfectly okay. Before the OTT slowed down to where it is now, I often found 10 or more NP waiting for me after my coma. I skimmed through them, slowly reading more and more in depth until I was full-on Blitzing by the time I caught up. I got the gist of things that had been discussed and resolved, and was also up-to-date on the current conversations.
EDIT: A Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer for the New Century! Yay!
Last edited by HAL9000 on Sun May 12, 2013 7:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 12, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:A swallow, I say. But european or african?

But what's its airspeed velocity? (In cue/newpix, please.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”