1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

htom

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby htom » Mon May 13, 2013 12:25 am UTC

mscha wrote:
ergman wrote:THE PLANTS ARE BACK (DONG)

Not much of a plant...

(Huh? How did Cueball get back on the ground?)

Maybe that's an egg.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

HES

Postby HES » Mon May 13, 2013 12:25 am UTC

Spoiler:
mscha wrote:DINOSAUNG...

mscha wrote:
ergman wrote:THE PLANTS ARE BACK (DONG)

Not much of a plant...

(Huh? How did Cueball get back on the ground?)

He must have been rescued by a flying ferret.
He/Him/His Image

edo

Postby edo » Mon May 13, 2013 12:43 am UTC

The landscape, cueball's head shape, Megan's sunshine dust flavor could it be this? (Not for weak tummies)
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Mon May 13, 2013 12:47 am UTC

edfel wrote:
mittfh wrote:With regards to the scale of the world, how about using their height as a benchmark? Most people are somewhere between 5' and 6' tall (there are probably online tables somewhere giving the xth percentile ranges for various countries), so it should be possible to work out reasonable minimum and maximum scales, with the reality likely to fall in between.

Alternatively, since we've already redefined units of time, use their height as the base unit for a new distance measurement system...

[ninja'd -- I post for the details:]
That's already what we use :) : 1q ("Cue") = 1 Cueball height, in most frames it's between 40 and 50 pixels, I've been using 46 as an average (with the "sample 3 frames, and call this a representative sample" method).
Apart from the part where we see them fro behind, and assuming there has been no gap in the panorama, they've traveled for more or less 1,170q until now, which gives a bit more than 2km with a 1m75 Cueball (I don't feel like translating to non-SI).

Spoiler:
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon May 13, 2013 12:50 am UTC

Davidy wrote:
edfel wrote:
mittfh wrote:With regards to the scale of the world, how about using their height as a benchmark? Most people are somewhere between 5' and 6' tall (there are probably online tables somewhere giving the xth percentile ranges for various countries), so it should be possible to work out reasonable minimum and maximum scales, with the reality likely to fall in between.

Alternatively, since we've already redefined units of time, use their height as the base unit for a new distance measurement system...

[ninja'd -- I post for the details:]
That's already what we use :) : 1q ("Cue") = 1 Cueball height, in most frames it's between 40 and 50 pixels, I've been using 46 as an average (with the "sample 3 frames, and call this a representative sample" method).
Apart from the part where we see them fro behind, and assuming there has been no gap in the panorama, they've traveled for more or less 1,170q until now, which gives a bit more than 2km with a 1m75 Cueball (I don't feel like translating to non-SI).

Spoiler:

man when I saw Click and Drag, I thought Randall had achieved his masterwork. turns out it was just a weak prelude of things to come.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 13, 2013 1:10 am UTC

NDONGO...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon May 13, 2013 1:11 am UTC

I have finally had my dose of ketchup. I am sorry to have missed the magnificent flight of the bird in real newpix time. Alas, I found myself in a kayak on a lake these past many newpix.

Though this the bird has flown I'd like to comment that, judging by its silhouette, it definitely was NOT a vulture. Nor do I believe it were a gull. It could have been a falcon, though the wingspan is a bit suspect, for it did seem slight too long, tip to tip and too narrow. More immediately, upon observing, I thought tern, but immediately dismissed for its tail was flat and not bifurcated. The osprey, then, becomes the best candidate, I think. It is a large bird of prey that may be found inland so long as water is nearby. Though Cuegan be in a desert (if it a desert be) we know the river was still in sight when they entered the dunes (if dunes they be). The osprey's wingspan is quite long, much like a kite, and narrow for such a bird of prey. It also has a tail which is not broad in flight and flat ended. I spend much time observing birds so I'm confident in my assessment. But then, it could be, as always, that GLR, the Creator of Time, has filled Time with many such things are as unknown to us on the outside. Perhaps the bird was a Time raptor. But not of the kind for which Cuegan must fear (for we all know of the danger of Raptors--we must always be vigilant).

Edit: It occurs to me that, had the bird been flying at a short distance from Cuegan, its silhouette could indicate that it was a merlin. But I'm still more inclined to believe Osprey...or Time raptor.
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Mon May 13, 2013 1:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Mon May 13, 2013 1:19 am UTC

Mini-ketchup (tomato?)

azule wrote:HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
Besides my own mother, my gf will be having my baby soon. I guess I should be nice to her, too. See ya guys later, then. heh.

I guess you might say
*puts on sunglasses*
Spoiler:
you got their name.

So, Meg or Rob? Or Cue? Or Randy?

HES wrote:
mscha wrote:
HES wrote:EDITONG

Better to not do this and just double post. Now it looks like this [outside]hour[/outside]'s newpix hasn't been posted yet.

Hadn't considered that, was sticking to the forum rules

Please stick to the needle-pulled thing rules.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon May 13, 2013 1:30 am UTC

mscha wrote:NDONGO...

-- posted by newpixbot

Newpixbot Unchained? I hope they don't trample that lonely plant.

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

vvn

Postby vvn » Mon May 13, 2013 1:37 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Please stick to the needle-pulled thing rules.

Not to argue with the rules, but I think mscha's comment was specific to posting the ONG. I am not sure if it's easier for the newpixbot, or the rest of us, but this is a special case. The hourly ONG doesn't exist anywhere else. I think the occasional double post is not horrible, especially if it helps the newpixbot.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon May 13, 2013 1:37 am UTC

fhorn wrote:
buffygirl wrote:For slinches.

Buffygirl, I don't know how you keep topping yourself!
"topping" yourself? get it? ahaha ahah ha ha whew that one was a real knee-slapper

Yes dear. I get it. *pats him on the head affectionately"

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon May 13, 2013 1:38 am UTC

Spoiler:

(Yes, it's a fake.)

Heh...got me for a minute.

ergman wrote:the comic is going slow, and thus the thread is going slow. Its interesting how much the amount of time between each frame varies. Sometimes they barely move at all, and in others minutes could have passed. That means the amount of time per newpix is not constantly consistent (or consistently constant?) with the time Megan and Cueball experience.

Time is constantly in a state of flux. Like Narnia, the world inside Time moves at a different pace than our own, with intervals as short as a second! or as long as many minutes! between what we see. Of course, all this has been said, and will be said again.

!Outsider time units used to avoid confusion between Inside time and Outside time, both of which could be measured in newpix but generally reserved for Outside time.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon May 13, 2013 1:41 am UTC

vvn wrote:

Not to argue with the rules, but I think mscha's comment was specific to posting the ONG. I am not sure if it's easier for the newpixbot, or the rest of us, but this is a special case. The hourly ONG doesn't exist anywhere else. I think the occasional double post is not horrible, especially if it helps the newpixbot.

You have no idea what "needle-pulled thing" means, do you?
You have much to learn from the elders, young one.
Selecting new quote…

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Mon May 13, 2013 1:54 am UTC

ergman wrote:just one though. also does anyone mind if I bump up my last idea?
It got stuck at the bottom of a page:
the comic is going slow, and thus the thread is going slow. Its interesting how much the amount of time between each frame varies. Sometimes they barely move at all, and in others minutes could have passed. That means the amount of time per newpix is not constantly consistent (or consistently constant?) with the time Megan and Cueball experience.

Let's go off and found the sect of the Schematists!

The OTC is a schematic representation of Megan and Cueball's world!

Not only is Time not to scale - newpix can be separated by what appear to be seconds, or what appear to be hours - but Space is not to scale either. They would not say, "it's been days" when they've hiked only a few dozen or a few hundred Cueballs at most. And a river that's only 8-10 Cueballs across, and slow moving, is not a great danger to a swimmer. The hills are real hills, not mounds that are only a couple of Cueballs high, and the world - well, I never imagined how big it was. The Randall fills in only what The Randall imagines is necessary to tell The Story, and we Wait for It.

So ... anyone want to convert to Schematist, Randall's-Whimsyism? OTC study is Wednesdays at 8 in the Geekship Hall at First United Schematist. Covered dish supper at 7.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

vvn

Postby vvn » Mon May 13, 2013 1:54 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:

I thought I did, but please enlighten me.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon May 13, 2013 2:00 am UTC

AnotherKevin wrote:
the comic is going slow, and thus the thread is going slow. Its interesting how much the amount of time between each frame varies. Sometimes they barely move at all, and in others minutes could have passed. That means the amount of time per newpix is not constantly consistent (or consistently constant?) with the time Megan and Cueball experience.

Not only is Time not to scale - newpix can be separated by what appear to be seconds, or what appear to be hours - but Space is not to scale either. They would not say, "it's been days" when they've hiked only a few dozen or a few hundred Cueballs at most. And a river that's only 8-10 Cueballs across, and slow moving, is not a great danger to a swimmer. The hills are real hills, not mounds that are only a couple of Cueballs high, and the world - well, I never imagined how big it was. The Randall fills in only what The Randall imagines is necessary to tell The Story, and we Wait for It.

So ... anyone want to convert to Schematist, Randall's-Whimsyism? OTC study is Wednesdays at 8 in the Geekship Hall at First United Schematist. Covered dish supper at 7.

Thank you, AnotherKevin, To me that was a very well stated point. I don't necessarily agree with it all, but you ... sound like you're probably a nice guy1.

1 I don't mean that in the avoidant, "ermmm, well yah, hels a nice guy . . ." (awkward silence)

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon May 13, 2013 2:01 am UTC

vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:

This.
Literally.
This sequence of posts you're reading right now.
Forget the rest of the forum.
This is the needle-pulled thing.
This is it.

Now I'll go back to singing boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada...
Selecting new quote…

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon May 13, 2013 2:02 am UTC

vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:

It was decreed in the Mad days of Yore that the word Thread was to be replaced by the phrase "needle-pulled thing," as a thread is (traditionally) pulled by a needled. And thus it was done, even beyond the scope of the Mad days of Yore.

I believe the comment clarifying the applicability of the rule was to say that -ong doubleposts are acceptable, but otherwise doubleposts should generally be avoided in compliance with the federal (forum) rules, and as a matter of common courtesy. There are no particular OTT-specific rules other than an amorphous blob of somewhat agreed upon semi-taboos.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon May 13, 2013 2:03 am UTC

For higgs-boson
Attachments
higgs-boson-hat-s.png
higgs-boson-hat-s.png (21.43 KiB) Viewed 11281 times
higgs-boson.jpg
higgs-boson.jpg (8.78 KiB) Viewed 11281 times

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon May 13, 2013 2:03 am UTC

A perfect examplONG.
Dammit, buffygirl, ruining my ONG!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon May 13, 2013 2:04 am UTC

I think the Hats by buffygirl page is caught up again. I've started adding the Newpage number where buffygirl first presented each hat, to make it easier to skim for missed hat announcements.

And a thousand thanks to CatHectic, who reformatted the entire page to be much easier to edit and maintain! It's beautiful.

Argh! New hat for higgs-boson! That's the second time buffygirl's done that to me....
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon May 13, 2013 2:05 am UTC

Spoiler:
AnotherKevin wrote:

I'm down for some hot sects.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon May 13, 2013 2:11 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I think the Hats by buffygirl page is caught up again. I've started adding the Newpage number where buffygirl first presented each hat, to make it easier to skim for missed hat announcements.

And a thousand thanks to CatHectic, who reformatted the entire page to be much easier to edit and maintain! It's beautiful.

Argh! New hat for higgs-boson! That's the second time buffygirl's done that to me....

I noticed that the songs list is outdated, but I'm too lazy to fix it... you know, all wait and no work makes Jack a tired boy.
Selecting new quote…

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon May 13, 2013 2:12 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I think the Hats by buffygirl page is caught up again. I've started adding the Newpage number where buffygirl first presented each hat, to make it easier to skim for missed hat announcements.

ermmmm ..... I'm sorry?

vvn

Postby vvn » Mon May 13, 2013 2:22 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:

This.
Literally.
This is it.

Now I'll go back to singing boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada...

Ok, the needle pulls the thread. That's how I have been reading it. (I have assumed this is from the madness, but I don't really know.)
What I don't understand: How is telling me I don't know this relative to my comment that we may have a valid exception to the double post rule? Am I missing something?

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon May 13, 2013 2:24 am UTC

Awsome work! except ..... well, I think the newpage number should be under the name. Here's why - I find it visually distracting when the photo column is broken up with text. Thanks! MWAH!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon May 13, 2013 2:28 am UTC

vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:

This.
Literally.
This is it.

Ok, the needle pulls the thread. That's how I have been reading it. (I have assumed this is from the madness, but I don't really know.)
What I don't understand: How is telling me I don't know this relative to my comment that we may have a valid exception to the double post rule? Am I missing something?

Ok, hush. both of you. I am concerned because maybe this is what the first part of a flame war looks like.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon May 13, 2013 2:31 am UTC

vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:

This.
Literally.
This is it.

Because that has been already discussed somewhere in these 602 pages. I am sure there is a wiki page for it.
Right?
Selecting new quote…

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon May 13, 2013 2:34 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
I think the Hats by buffygirl page is caught up again. I've started adding the Newpage number where buffygirl first presented each hat, to make it easier to skim for missed hat announcements.

ermmmm ..... I'm sorry?

It's hilarious, actually. The last two times I've added a bunch of hats to your page, you've posted a new hat here just as I finished. One of us (probably me) has awful timing. Anyway, I added higgs-boson to the page, so we're good. (Especially since we're not in a balloon.)

ETA: Good point about placing the Newpage number. It'll help keep the page length down a bit, as well.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Mon May 13, 2013 2:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon May 13, 2013 2:35 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:

This.
Literally.
This is it.

Because that has been already discussed somewhere in these 602 pages. I am sure there is a wiki page for it.
Right?

I say let's leave it at avoid double posting unless one or more of the posts in question contains an ONG

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 13, 2013 2:37 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:

This.
Literally.
This is it.

Right?

I say let's leave it at avoid double posting unless one or more of the posts in question contains an ONG

Indeed. If you don't do this, I'll probably get mad (I've noticed that I reprimand people about the Rules a lot)
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon May 13, 2013 2:38 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:

This.
Literally.
This is it.

Right?

I'd personally take a more semantic approach (e.g. don't mix ketchup and mustard posts), but that works for me.
Selecting new quote…

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon May 13, 2013 2:39 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:

This.
Literally.
This is it.

Right?

I say let's leave it at avoid double posting unless one or more of the posts in question contains an ONG or a BuffyHat.

FTFY

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon May 13, 2013 2:40 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:

This.
Literally.
This is it.

Right?

I say let's leave it at avoid double posting unless one or more of the posts in question contains an ONG or a BuffyHat.

FTFY

Quite right. Buffyhats warrant a special exception.
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Mon May 13, 2013 2:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon May 13, 2013 2:49 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:Ok, hush. both of you. I am concerned because maybe this is what the first part of a flame war looks like.

Cardinal buffygirl, should flames erupt, I have located this large metal cylindrical pressure vessel which, according to the label, contains fire suppressing chemicals and requires that one simply "pull pin, aim hose and nozzle in direction of flames, press lever handle to dispense fire retardant chemicals." Huh. "Fire retardant chemicals" sounds a bit un-p.c. to me.

edit: typo
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon May 13, 2013 2:58 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Ok, hush. both of you. I am concerned because maybe this is what the first part of a flame war looks like.

Cardinal buffygirl, should flames erupt, I have located this large metal cylindrical pressure vessel which, according to the label, contains fire suppressing chemicals and requires that one simply "pull pin, aim hose and nozzle in direction of flames, press lever handle to dispense fire retardant chemicals." Huh. "Fire retardant chemicals" sounds a bit un-p.c. to me.

edit: typo

I assure you there are ways much more fun to use that device.
Selecting new quote…

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon May 13, 2013 3:08 am UTC

Spoiler:

Selecting new quote…

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 13, 2013 3:31 am UTC

Spoiler:

(Yes, it's a fake.)

Hahahaha!
Okay, I'm convinced, it's a raptor :D

Actually, it looks like my lost pterosaur...hey! Come back! You forgot to deliver my message to the future!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon May 13, 2013 3:35 am UTC

For PhoenixRising
Attachments
PhoenixRising-hat-s.png
PhoenixRising-hat-s.png (35.44 KiB) Viewed 11593 times
PhoenixRising.jpg
PhoenixRising.jpg (22.69 KiB) Viewed 11593 times

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon May 13, 2013 3:53 am UTC

buffygirl becoming page pope during a hat delivery is very...

wait for it...

fitting!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”