1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rule110

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Rule110 » Mon May 13, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

While it appears that the dunes/hills have gotten smaller until they're mere bumps underfoot, I like to think Megan and Cueball have grown larger instead, and they're now covering a kilocue1 every frame or two.2

1That's assuming the cue retains its original magnitude, rather than changing every time Cueball changes size. Basing units of measure on body proportions does have these little drawbacks.
2Maybe just symbolically, to show a long journey in a few hundred frames.3
3Because when the slower-than-realtime presentation of the OTC meets the narrative convention of showing travel much faster than realtime,4 who knows how it will work out? If they travel for in-world "days," we might be watching for outside "years," unless some alteration of the time or distance scales is occurring.
4Though, I've often thought that a realtime version of Lord of the Rings would be interesting, if only it were possible. Couldn't a filmmaker make some deals with some New Zealand through-hikers or something?
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

HES

Postby HES » Mon May 13, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I don't consider myself a ROOTTist (Randall Observes the OTT), but #1211 is too perfect to be sheer coincidence. I will suggest that #1211 has been prepared for some Time, perhaps even since the early newpix of the OTT when many thread-dwellers hoped for a raptor-attack, and was released to coincide with the appearance of the sparrow-raptor in Time. "Y'all want a dinosaur? Look, I sent you a dinosaur."

Of course, given GLR's healthy obsession with raptors, there's a reasonable probability of two almost-simultaneous occurrences. An opinion which makes me a RMMNOOTTist1, the OTT equivalent of agnosticism2.

1Randall May or May Not Observe the OTT
2Although agnosticism may be detrimental to Cardinal eligibility

Rule110 wrote:4Though, I've often thought that a realtime version of Lord of the Rings would be interesting, if only it were possible. Couldn't a filmmaker make some deals with some New Zealand through-hikers or something?[/size]

This thread is evidence that people would watch that.
Last edited by HES on Mon May 13, 2013 4:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 13, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Othercomic image, which I believe is worthy of direct inclusion in the OTT due to its relevance to recent threadversation:
Spoiler:
#1211: Birds and Dinosaurs

Title text: Sure, T. rex is closer in height to Stegosaurus than a sparrow. But that doesn't tell you much; 'Dinosaur Comics' author Ryan North is closer in height to certain dinosaurs than to the average human.

Hmm, posting the Other Comic in the OTT, isn't that heresy? If it were anyone but BlitzGirl doing it, I'd say yes. But it was the one and only BlitzGirl, ruler of the OTT1, so I must be mistaken. Image

¹: that's a lie

FTFY. Although if the posting of Other Comics is heresy, I've been in trouble ever since Boom De Yada...

Took me a while to find what you FFM...
Your version of Boom De Yada is most definitely not heresy! In fact, even suggesting it might be heresy is an act of heresy!

BlitzGirl wrote:I don't consider myself a ROOTTist (Randall Observes the OTT), but #1211 is too perfect to be sheer coincidence. I will suggest that #1211 has been prepared for some Time, perhaps even since the early newpix of the OTT when many thread-dwellers hoped for a raptor-attack, and was released to coincide with the appearance of the sparrow-raptor in Time. "Y'all want a dinosaur? Look, I sent you a dinosaur."

Hmm, I'm not sure. Maybe you're right. But maybe it is just a coincidence; or perhaps Randall did put the bird in the OTC around the same time He created #1188, simply because he thought that was fun, without any regard for the OTT.
But we'll never know for sure. Randall moves in mysterious ways.

Edit:
HES wrote:Of course, given GLR's healthy obsession with raptors, there's a reasonable probability of two almost-simultaneous occurrences. An opinion which makes me a RMMNOOTTist1, the OTT equivalent of agnosticism2.

1Randall May or May Not Observe the OTT
2Although agnosticism may be detrimental to Cardinal eligibility

Or what [s]he said.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon May 13, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:So no chocolate? :(

Sorry, no. All I've got is this fifteen-pound bag of expired Skittles.

Skittles? Bleh. I suppose someone else is bound to sin, and then perhaps there will be chocolate. I'll just have to wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

Here you go! Chocolate and skittles. :mrgreen:

Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 13, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

NEWSMONGERS...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 13, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

How can we be sure this "Randall" of whom you speak really exists. Perhaps the OTC has existed for all "Time" and we just noticed it in March. Does it really need a creator (GLR), or is it just "what is"? Just askin'.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 13, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

Perhaps at some time in the far distant past there was a Big B'ONG, and the OTC sprang into existence in a flash of heat and light (#000000, and #ffffff). Ah, what then?
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 13, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Here you go! Chocolate and skittles. :mrgreen:
Spoiler:

Yummie! Can I have some, or do I need to do something heretic first?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Mon May 13, 2013 4:20 pm UTC

Is Sciscitor still about? I'd love to see a version of the quote tree weighted by posts (mostly to make up for my low post count)

charlie_grumbles wrote:How can we be sure this "Randall" of whom you speak really exists. Perhaps the OTC has existed for all "Time" and we just noticed it in March. Does it really need a creator (GLR), or is it just "what is"? Just askin'.

Unless that time vortex is still open, we may never know. Maybe xkcd.com/time existed before xkcd.com/1190... Maybe Randall isn't drawing it, but the OTC is in fact a portal to a parallel stickiverse...
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 13, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:How can we be sure this "Randall" of whom you speak really exists. Perhaps the OTC has existed for all "Time" and we just noticed it in March. Does it really need a creator (GLR), or is it just "what is"? Just askin'.

Or perhaps the OTC was created last Thursday, and will only exist until next Thursday.

(Yes, I know, the OTC may not, but the OTT repeats itself.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon May 13, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

I am the Cardinal of Cupcakes! Anyone may partake of the delicious creaminess at any time. We Eastern Unorthodox Timewaiters are, after all, unorthodox. We don't give a crap about all that heresy stuff. *yum yum yum*
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon May 13, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

Ah! Heresy and a double post. Of course the GLR exists. To think otherwise would be akin to Hawking loopism.

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

I don't think it is possible for you to commit heresy. But maybe you can be pelted with chocolate and skittles (long post consume by date, of course).
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 13, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

HES wrote:Maybe Randall isn't drawing it, but the OTC is in fact a portal to a parallel stickiverse...

YES. Perhaps there are many ... many parallel stickiverses. Perhaps we are getting brief glimpses of many of them as Time passes. Perhaps they touch and then diverge. What if it is all an illusion....?
-- Charlie Grumbles

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 13, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Skittles? Bleh. I suppose someone else is bound to sin, and then perhaps there will be chocolate. I'll just have to wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

<3

:oops:
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

HES

Postby HES » Mon May 13, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
HES wrote:Maybe Randall isn't drawing it, but the OTC is in fact a portal to a parallel stickiverse...

YES. Perhaps there are many ... many parallel stickiverses. Perhaps we are getting brief glimpses of many of them as Time passes. Perhaps they touch and then diverge. What if it is all an illusion....?

Everything we experience is an illusion created by our brains... you can stop reading this now

I'll fetch the supersoaker
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon May 13, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I don't consider myself a ROOTTist (Randall Observes the OTT), but #1211 is too perfect to be sheer coincidence.
Nah. The bird could easily have appeared in the OTC without the input of the OTT, and any relationship that may exist between a bird in one comic and a bird in another comic could easily occur without any thread input.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

edfel

Postby edfel » Mon May 13, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:<snip>3
3Because when the slower-than-realtime presentation of the OTC meets the narrative convention of showing travel much faster than realtime,4 who knows how it will work out? If they travel for in-world "days," we might be watching for outside "years," unless some alteration of the time or distance scales is occurring.
4<snip>

I've got a theory about this: if GLR wanted to skip quickly through a boring and uninteresting long journey, He can either re-use the fading technique, or zoom out until Cueball and Megan are 6px high, and cross the landscape in two frames: that would correspond to a x8 fast forward. I don't think that skipping bits of landscape while each frame is pretty well detailed would be an option for Him.

ETA:
ucim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I don't consider myself a ROOTTist (Randall Observes the OTT), but #1211 is too perfect to be sheer coincidence.
Nah. The bird could easily have appeared in the OTC without the input of the OTT, and any relationship that may exist between a bird in one comic and a bird in another comic could easily occur without any thread input.

Jose

How common is a sparrow? It seems that the comic has been planed for some time, but that the "sparrow" mention has been added as a reference...
Last edited by edfel on Mon May 13, 2013 4:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 13, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

Cute Comments:
Spoiler:
htom wrote:Congratulations!

Thanks! :)

AluisioASG wrote:I guess you might say
*puts on sunglasses*
you got their name.

So, Meg or Rob? Or Cue? Or Randy?
Uh, maybe Cueball as a nickname. Babies are bald, right? lol.

Coded Comments:
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:I say let's leave it at avoid double posting unless one or more of the posts in question contains an ONG

Code: Select all

DoublePost = ONG || false;

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 13, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

HES wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

Everything we experience is an illusion created by our brains... you can stop reading this now

I'll fetch the supersoaker

No it is all elaborate machine code!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Mon May 13, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:For Febrion

I've been blitzing for several days (dips, is it? I'm a little behind still) now, and I just got here... It's perfect! Mr Transistor is definitely a dapper fellow, I'd always pictured him as a cyborg in full coat and tails :-)
Yay, I'm one of the cool kids now!
(Having issues updating my avatar from my phone, that may have to wait till I get to a desktop)

For everyone else:
At this point I'm only about 10 NP behind, so I may actually finish today. Until then, just continue to imagine the witty contributions that I'll be making when I come upon your posts.
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Mon May 13, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Perhaps at some time in the far distant past there was a Big B'ONG, and the OTC sprang into existence in a flash of heat and light (#000000, and #ffffff). Ah, what then?
Okay, so Big B'ONG made me laugh out loud.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon May 13, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
ergman wrote:
HES wrote:
ergman wrote:Is that a slab in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

It lights up, vibrates and makes noises. Should I see a doctor? :?

yes... *cough*
/me puts on lab coat nonchalantly
What seems to be the problem?

A virus?

I was in a meeting with my phone, switched to vibrate, in my pocket; I got a call. The woman next to me, who didn't have a complete grasp of English idioms looked down, pointed and said "there's something going on in your trousers".
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon May 13, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

I am the Cardinal of Cupcakes! Anyone may partake of the delicious creaminess at any time. We Eastern Unorthodox Timewaiters are, after all, unorthodox. We don't give a crap about all that heresy stuff. *yum yum yum*

But chocolate is the punishment of the Inquisitor, merited our for heresy. To accept punishment for sin one must sin. *picks at chocolate* I shall speak heretically and graciously accept my punishment of chocolate bits...

This is all just a waste of Time!!!

Eeep! I said it! Forgive me GLR! :oops:

Oooh...chocolate. Must pick out the skittles and set aside for Hal9000.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 13, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

CONGRUENCES...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon May 13, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

Montov wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Perhaps we should just call it a UFO?

We don't know if its flying, so we should call it a USP. Unidentified Sky Pixels.

We should call it TITS. Many people think UFO means flying saucer.
Spoiler:
Thing In The Sky

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 13, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Perhaps at some time in the far distant past there was a Big B'ONG, and the OTC sprang into existence in a flash of heat and light (#000000, and #ffffff). Ah, what then?
Okay, so Big B'ONG made me laugh out loud.

From Page 223:

StratPlayer wrote:
kryton and others... wrote:
"I wonder if he reads this thread and takes into account our ideas."

<snip>

"He doesn't have time since he's churning out these sticky sand/coffee/dandruf/darkmatter/caffinatedsemencancerbaby pixles as fast as he can.
BUT, very likely he has a team of seraphim watching the thread for him"

You know, it occured to me during my last coma: it might not be neccessary to attribute this all to a creator. I mean, maybe this is just a natural phenomenon instead of the work of intelligent design.

Perhaps there are some basic universal laws of pixilization that could be discovered that would fully define Time without having to bring in superstition and belief in some arbitrary 'artist' who supposedly is directing everything that happens...

...and...

StratPlayer wrote:
kryton wrote:
I'm still hoping Randall takes the hint...

But I'm telling you -- there might not BE any 'Randall'. It's natural for us humans to want to attribute everything to some 'daddy in the sky' who does all the drawing. but it might just as well be normal Universal Laws of Pixilization that are simply playing out in front of us.

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Also, it has been shown that it is possible for a creator to have set up initial conditions and a script an algorithm that continues the drawing with the expectation of bringing us to this point. I call this the intelligent design theory. It makes far more sense than the "random pixel evol.ution theory) and doesn't require the active attention of the Randall, who is free then to create other, lesser comics.

So you're saying that this 'creator' was there at the beginning of time, but is no longer needed? Kind of like everything was created in that moment of the initial 'Big GONG' or 'Big BONG'?

And there's no way to tell, because if this creator did, in fact exist, he isn't talking to us.

Hmmmm....

Well, I kind of like your Big BONG theory.

Ah, sweet Time -- everything old is new again...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Mon May 13, 2013 5:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon May 13, 2013 5:13 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
vvn wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:It's incredibly difficult to without defaulting to star-trekian clichés like sliding doors and talking computers, and it's easy to forget we have all those things already. I guess my generation's responsible for the aesthetical changes, and maybe the warp drives.

It's hard to predict the future. We expected AI, flying cars, a moon colony and mars expeditions. We got the Internet, global warming and the fall of the Berlin wall. (My generation will take the fall for global warming, But, Facebook is on you youngin's.)

Warp drives would be nice, but if you kids don't figure out how to reduce the standard work week and spend more time doing what you want to be doing, I will be sorely disappointed in you.

I expect them to come up with Todd Rundgren's objective - to party all night and meditate all day.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Mon May 13, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

I must have skipped those pages. I'm not a full blitzer. I just click on the latest newpage each day and read from there. Still funny, even if t'was old news at the time to others. I'm glad you gave credit where it's due, though.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 13, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:I must have skipped those pages. I'm not a full blitzer. I just click on the latest newpage each day and read from there. Still funny, even if t'was old news at the time to others. I'm glad you gave credit where it's due, though.

No problem. And technically, I wasn't giving credit so much as I was taking it ("Mine, mine, mine!!!") for first documented use of "Big BONG" and the whole "Maybe Randall doesn't need to exist" schtick. :wink:

But it is funny how things here in the OTT keep circling around again to retouch on current and eddies from the past. You may not be a loopist in regards to the OTC, but for the OTT, you should be.*

*..and I'm positive someone already said that in the OTT at least a couple of times before.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon May 13, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

akacat wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
vvn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:. Y'alls who used a commodore 64 are old ;)[/size]

Not only did I use one, but it was my second computer.

Yes, ChronosDragon. And it amuses us that the Arduino running my basement fan is faster than the machine made available to the student body, with dozens of terminals/users, when I was in school. The programming problems were totally different than today. Imagine the world when you are my age.

It's incredibly difficult to without defaulting to star-trekian clichés like sliding doors and talking computers, and it's easy to forget we have all those things already. I guess my generation's responsible for the aesthetical changes, and maybe the warp drives.

Don't forget about teleporters1. That's something I'd really like to see in the Outside.

1. Clever as they are, teleporters that only function for a single unit of quantum matter don't count in my book.

What's the source of this funny story about teleporters?
Man comes to in the teleporter transmitter station, the operator tells him "there's been a problem. You arrived ok at your destination, but you weren't removed from here. We just have to destroy you now. Sorry for any inconvenience."

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 13, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
Montov wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Perhaps we should just call it a UFO?

We don't know if its flying, so we should call it a USP. Unidentified Sky Pixels.

We should call it TITS. Many people think UFO means flying saucer.
Spoiler:
Thing In The Sky

Hmmm.. Well, then I would expect another to show up shortly. They tend to travel in pairs...

htom

Postby htom » Mon May 13, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Valarya wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

<3

Where'd they go? Maybe there's a second pan of them around here somewhere, they look so good.

azule wrote:Cute Comments:
Spoiler:
htom wrote:Congratulations!

Thanks! :)

AluisioASG wrote:I guess you might say
*puts on sunglasses*
you got their name.

So, Meg or Rob? Or Cue? Or Randy?
Uh, maybe Cueball as a nickname. Babies are bald, right? lol.

Depends on the baby. Some are almost bald, some have shoulder length hair when born.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Valarya wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

But chocolate is the punishment of the Inquisitor, merited our for heresy. To accept punishment for sin one must sin. *picks at chocolate* I shall speak heretically and graciously accept my punishment of chocolate bits...

This is all just a waste of Time!!!

Eeep! I said it! Forgive me GLR! :oops:

Oooh...chocolate. Must pick out the skittles and set aside for Hal9000.

W... Why th-thank you...
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 13, 2013 5:33 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Oh, and awesome looking cupcakes! You are indeed the cool and classy Cardinal of Cupcakes!

I'd gladly commit some heresy for a taste of your goodies!

*nudge-nudge-wink-wink*

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon May 13, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

edfel wrote:How common is a sparrow? It seems that the comic has been planed for some time, but that the "sparrow" mention has been added as a reference...
Is that a European sp...

Actually, sparrows are pretty common. They even have their own heiroglyph in the Egyptian alphabet. They seem to thrive where people do, and could easily be considered a canonical "small bird".

If a far more obscure bird were picked, the theory might have more traction, but Occam's razor cuts sharply here.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 13, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

While nothing much is happening in the OTC, why don't we compare first OTT posts?
Mine's from newpix 85, NP 25:
mscha wrote:What might happen is this: at some point, probably not too far ahead, the castle is finished and they go home. The castle then slowly deteriorates, a few pixels every frame, until the beach is back in its original state ... a few months from now. (I bet we won't be checking every half hour anymore at that point.)
Then they come back and start all over again.

Pretty rude, not to introduce myself in my first post (not only on the OTT, but on the forum).
Also, the very first in a long, long line of incorrect predictions. Image
It even appears I was a loopist back then. (Me? A loopist? I deny everything!)
Last edited by mscha on Mon May 13, 2013 7:07 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 13, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

mscha wrote:While nothing much is happening in the OTC, why don't compare first OTT posts?
Spoiler:
Mine's from newpix 85:
mscha wrote:What might happen is this: at some point, probably not too far ahead, the castle is finished and they go home. The castle then slowly deteriorates, a few pixels every frame, until the beach is back in its original state ... a few months from now. (I bet we won't be checking every half hour anymore at that point.)
Then they come back and start all over again.

Pretty rude, not to introduce myself in my first post (not only on the OTT, but on the forum).
Also, the very first in a long, long line of incorrect predictions. Image
It even appears I was a loopist back then. (Me? A loopist? I deny everything!)

Mine's from page 88 (and note the fact that it was page 83 when I first started to register and compose my post -- things moved very quickly back then. Double-posting was almost an impossibility):

StratPlayer wrote:...and yet another long-time reader/lurker who was finally drawn, nay compelled by this comic to create a user id just to leave my own brief, transient, and soon-to-be-swallowed message in the ever-growing and shifting sands of this thread...

And yes -- I read the rules AND all 83 pages of this uber-thread. Been following it since the very first frame of the comic, back when I wondered, "Huh.. kind of a weird comic... Wait for what?"

I love the detail and method that Randall's put into this one, just like the massive posters and the "Click and Drag" magnificence. I also really like that so much effort and input has been spent by y'all guys to discuss and follow a comic that is both present, future, and past all at once.

Well-player, Mister Randall. Well-played, indeed....

EDITED to add link to "Mine's"
Last edited by StratPlayer on Mon May 13, 2013 6:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

Page 53. Wow, I'm old.
My first post:

HAL9000 wrote:
willyshop wrote:I don't think it's panning; only the left side of the frame is moving. The shoreline doesn't seam to shift; looks to me like the left side is getting compressed.
If you look at the far left, there's a little patch of sand coming in from outer frame. It seams to shift relative to the sand below it. I'll bet there's a bulldozer coming in from out of frame, or maybe a landslide.

Or maybe more castles. Perhaps that's what Megan's been doing this whole time.

Also, I wonder what percentage of this forum's members have joined in the past three days.

During the Pan/Zoom. Called that Megan had left to build more castles, but may not have been the first one to do so. My second post is better, though, and is an opinion I still have:

HAL9000 wrote:
flamewise wrote:Good job Randall: I can't believe you can keep innovating the format. I'd love to see what you could do to e-books.

Thank you for the comic, about time I bought a shirt anyway I guess.

Good job Randall indeed. I don't know whether I want to punch the guy or give him a hug. Probably both.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Mon May 13, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

My first post (page 410) wasn't particularly useful...

Earthling on Mars wrote:They're gone. *sigh*

As I recall, I figured that since nobody would ever read it because of the moderation queue, what was the point of writing anything useful?

Also, KLONG

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 13, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

Wow, I came in at an awkward time.

Opiboble wrote:
Dictator wrote:
Montov wrote:There be no clarification yet on the yukky substance in Megan's mouth, but it be the same colour as the trebuchet. So be the trebuchet made of coffee? Coffee be black too.

Backshadowing. Everything tin be black. Keeps the options open; more fun.

Some bodily fluids can’t be black... Some are quite clear...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”